Tuesday 3rd February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 3rd February 2015

Post by HindleA »

@RR2 presume this written statement

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... 15-to-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Spacedone wrote:
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 6 mins6 minutes ago Camberwell, London
If we're no prepared to use ground troops to deal with ISIS what exactly is the point of having ground troops.
Armchair General Dan Hodges wants to send in the troops.
Can somebody please ask the little weasel if he is volunteering? He blocked me, because I kept needling him. :toss:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Why is the Observer employing a Mail journalist to smear Ed Miliband?

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/11/ ... -miliband/
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:@RR2 presume this written statement

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... 15-to-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. So if I get the gist of it right ... they put out some figures and say they've 'consulted' on them and have decided to go ahead with the figures they put out anyway.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Anyone read this blog before? I've just had the link passed on to me by someone on Twitter.

Looks useful.

http://www.scoop.it/t/the-greater-fool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Forgot to say ,partial u-turn with regard to local welfare provision mentioned in link.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Just been given a message - when posting - saying 'Sorry board attachment quota is full' or words to that effect. So not able to post a pic. Anyone shed any light?
I got that earlier, got round it by posting the pic onto twitter - once it is on there right click it and select open image in new tab, when the new tab opens copy the url of that page then post it here using the *Img* tab in full editor.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Retired gardener takes his own life after change in benefits system, inquest hears
Malcolm Burge was left owing more than £800 to Newham council in London, after backlog in implementing government changes to welfare

A Newham council spokesperson said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Mr Burge following his tragic death. In our submission to the coroner, we acknowledged delays and deficiencies in our extensive correspondence through letters and phone calls with Mr Burge. We are sorry if this contributed to his death in any way.
We are sorry if this contributed to his death in any way.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... are_btn_tw
Mealy mouthed apologies aren't worth shit.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Kris Hopkins MP
Written statement to Parliament
Final local government finance settlement 2015 to 2016
3 February 2015
Every bit of the public sector needs to do its bit to pay off the deficit left by the last government, including local government which accounts for a quarter of all public spending.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... 15-to-2016
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Toby Latimer wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Just been given a message - when posting - saying 'Sorry board attachment quota is full' or words to that effect. So not able to post a pic. Anyone shed any light?
I got that earlier, got round it by posting the pic onto twitter - once it is on there right click it and select open image in new tab, when the new tab opens copy the url of that page then post it here using the *Img* tab in full editor.
Thanks Toby - but I'm guessing I need to have a Twitter account for that? I've resisted that so far. I fear it would be addictive and unhealthy - not a bit like FTN.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Yanis Varoufakis ‏@yanisvaroufakis 18h18 hours ago
@PaulGambles2
Our promise = solid. Debt will be rendered sustainable, even if we replace haircut with euphemisms & swaps. No U-turn!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hope PF is okay. Not been here again for a few days...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

New Pembrokeshire council chief's salary 'should be £130k'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-31098965
No it shouldn't. Still far too much IMO. Population of 122,400. The salaries and perks for these paid council officials - and some councillors who get 'allowances' for every position they take up on boards etc - has gone way beyond what is a reasonable level of compensation for their role and responsibilities.

Sounds like some of the 'ruling' IPPG group on the council still thought it should be even more than this - if this is what our Labour group leader and PPC had to say:
Councillor Paul Miller told his colleagues it would be "inconceivable" to set the chief executive's salary higher than the panel's recommendation.

He also said there was now an opportunity to review car allowances for senior officers.

It comes after BBC Wales discovered Mr Parry-Jones had been given a luxury Porsche lease car worth around £90,000 as his work vehicle.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:
Thanks Toby - but I'm guessing I need to have a Twitter account for that? I've resisted that so far. I fear it would be addictive and unhealthy - not a bit like FTN.
Should be fixed now, sorry :oops:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
No it shouldn't. Still far too much IMO. Population of 122,400. The salaries and perks for these paid council officials - and some councillors who get 'allowances' for every position they take up on boards etc - has gone way beyond what is a reasonable level of compensation for their role and responsibilities.

Sounds like some of the 'ruling' IPPG group on the council still thought it should be even more than this - if this is what our Labour group leader and PPC had to say:
Councillor Paul Miller told his colleagues it would be "inconceivable" to set the chief executive's salary higher than the panel's recommendation.

He also said there was now an opportunity to review car allowances for senior officers.

It comes after BBC Wales discovered Mr Parry-Jones had been given a luxury Porsche lease car worth around £90,000 as his work vehicle.
Jesus a 90K Porsche as a company car.

He is paying £1,050 in tax - every month!!!!

Muppet, BMW 320d with all the extras might run to 45K but he would only be paying £300 per month in tax.
Release the Guardvarks.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Testing , testing , how about a cowardly lion :)
potd-lion-buffalo_3185817k.jpg
potd-lion-buffalo_3185817k.jpg (152.08 KiB) Viewed 7824 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Muppet, BMW 320d with all the extras might run to 45K but he would only be paying £300 per month in tax.
Quite. Bryn Parry-Jones was absolutely raking it in - massive salary £190,000 and every perk imaginable. But it does seem that it's the Porsche that really really smacks home the obscene greed and spending that's been going on in PCC ... that's the bit that everybody on the doorstep has immediately latched on to anyway.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... be-welcome
There have been many complaints about the essentially cosmetic changes to the Guardian’s website (Open door, 2 February). Yet in a change that coincides with the launch of the general election campaign and may have to do with the Guardian’s heart and soul there has been plenty of disturbing silence. I refer to the arrival of one regular Tory guest columnist, Matthew d’Ancona, and one intermittent, Anne McElvoy, both normally to be found rubbishing Labour in the right-of-centre London Evening Standard, but now carrying on their business in the Guardian.

With the entire might and circulation of the national press, aside from the Guardian, Independent and Mirror, already rampantly Conservative, what on Earth explains the decision to import these unlovely, predictable cuckoos into your nest?
Nicholas de Jongh
London
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:I bet Cameron could point at that lion
Only if you told him it was a fish.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:I bet Cameron could point at that lion
Or maybe he is trying to help the lion to safety?
Attachments
Dave-Helping.jpg
Dave-Helping.jpg (114.35 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mr Riots has got dreadful backache this evening. He's been out in the freezing cold this afternoon making a bespoke entrance for the cats into the side wall of what will be our new porch. They will have their own little set of slate steps up to the cat flap set back within a square arch recess in the stone wall. We didn't want another cat flap in the door as the wind blows them open all the time. The killer job was angle grinding the blocks and mixing up the mortar in icy chill. I hope those little buggers appreciate the trouble we have gone to.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: No it shouldn't. Still far too much IMO. Population of 122,400. The salaries and perks for these paid council officials - and some councillors who get 'allowances' for every position they take up on boards etc - has gone way beyond what is a reasonable level of compensation for their role and responsibilities.

Quite. Bryn Parry-Jones was absolutely raking it in - massive salary £190,000 and every perk imaginable. But it does seem that it's the Porsche that really really smacks home the obscene greed and spending that's been going on in PCC ... that's the bit that everybody on the doorstep has immediately latched on to anyway.
Actually at £190k he is paying £1150 a month for the Porsche.

The car allowance isn't really an issue, at chief exec level it is usually unlimited, the car probably costs slightly more each month to lease than he is paying in tax. Certainly trivial in terms of salary.

Maybe £1500 per month, assuming full maintenance?

Most CEOs would have a less ostentatious car, why pay stupid tax?
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

IDS Fails on Freedom of Information - As He Did With Us in 2013

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/nick-st ... _hp_ref=tw
What I want to know is; how is he allowed to get away with it.

Have ministers always been able to break the rules and remain in position with not even a slapped wrist?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Mr Riots has got dreadful backache this evening. He's been out in the freezing cold this afternoon making a bespoke entrance for the cats into the side wall of what will be our new porch. They will have their own little set of slate steps up to the cat flap set back within a square arch recess in the stone wall. We didn't want another cat flap in the door as the wind blows them open all the time. The killer job was angle grinding the blocks and mixing up the mortar in icy chill. I hope those little buggers appreciate the trouble we have gone to.
Nah, they'll just sit in front of the main door, meowing. :roll:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:

Have ministers always been able to break the rules and remain in position with not even a slapped wrist?
*ahem* Mrs Blurt *ahem*
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Jesus a 90K Porsche as a company car.

Actually at £190k he is paying £1150 a month for the Porsche.

The car allowance isn't really an issue, at chief exec level it is usually unlimited, the car probably costs slightly more each month to lease than he is paying in tax. Certainly trivial in terms of salary.

Maybe £1500 per month, assuming full maintenance?

Most CEOs would have a less ostentatious car, why pay stupid tax?
I wouldn't have put it past Mr Parry-Jones to have found a way of gaining the luxury use of a Porsche without the burden of the luxury tax to go with it. He was very adept at managing payments and systems to his best advantage ... and the Pembrokeshire taxpayers disadvantage.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Fri, 14/11/2014

Jobcentre staff to scare schoolkids away from benefits they can't get

http://www.unemployednet.org/jobcentre- ... y-cant-get
This is from last year. I must have missed it.

Speechless. Again.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Fri, 14/11/2014

Jobcentre staff to scare schoolkids away from benefits they can't get

http://www.unemployednet.org/jobcentre- ... y-cant-get
This is from last year. I must have missed it.

Speechless. Again.
They make the job centre staff sound like Halloween monsters. What are they going to do - issue them all with nasty masks and make them hiss .... 'no housing benefit for you when you leave school - stay at home if you value your life' .... or 'forget child benefit if you have a sprog too soon - you'll be out on the streets in the cold with your begging bowl'?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

The look on Sam's face is "Please, will somebody rescue me from this prat". Sooty is happy to oblige.
Attachments
Go-away.jpg
Go-away.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 7769 times
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 6 mins6 minutes ago Camberwell, London
If we're no prepared to use ground troops to deal with ISIS what exactly is the point of having ground troops.
Armchair General Dan Hodges wants to send in the troops.
Can somebody please ask the little weasel if he is volunteering? He blocked me, because I kept needling him. :toss:
Done
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

*ahem* Mrs Blurt *ahem*
I know she pops up every so often.

But in the past surely there was a bit more control over ethics? Some honour left in the Right Honourable? I was never quite so 'deep' into politics so can't remember.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

danesclose wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Spacedone wrote: Armchair General Dan Hodges wants to send in the troops.
Done
Thanks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 13m13 minutes ago
Mail apparently has another anti-Labour businessman coming out tonight.
Who do you think it will be ....? Who's next on that letter list?

Getting sillier and sillier now. I think this is another backfire for the Tories. Don't they get that a lot of people are fed up with very well fed and rewarded businessmen telling us all what should happen ... in their own interests?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

That is seriously taking the piss. Our chief exec is on about 90 grand (a very big number from where I stand for what he does) and our population isn't that short of 200,000 people. I'd be interested to know what the basic councillor allowance is, to compare it to ours.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Green support continues to rise in Wales
http://agreenwales.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... wales.html
...But there's no question this latest Welsh poll spells bad news for both the Liberal Democrats and Plaid Cymru, with both of them set to see a drop in their numbers of seats in the Assembly. Plaid in particular will be bitterly disappointed with these poll findings. 9 seats would represent the party's worst ever showing since the creation of the Welsh Assembly in 1999 and - coming on top of yesterday's poll showing a 4 percent drop in their support in May's General Election - is bound to lead to murmurings of discontent among party members about the party's continuing poor showing in the polls.

And while the position of Plaid leader Leanne Wood is likely to be safe if the party retains its 3 Westminister seats this May should they lose one of their MPs then a challenge to Leanne's leadership from the party's more conservative wing cannot be ruled out, with supporters of the pro nuclear Rhun ap iorwerth or the badger culling Elin Jones likely to be key in any moves to oust Leanne before the 2016 Welsh Assembly elections. We certainly live in very 'interesting times' in Welsh politics...
What was it we were saying about Plaid earlier? They claim to be a 'progressive' party - alongside the SNP - but look at those two potential leadership challengers and their take on key issues ... does that look 'progressive' to you? That's their problem - in a nutshell.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Toby Latimer wrote:Quite possibly the best reporting on the impact of 'austerity' l've seen in ages. From the Telegraph of all places, the sort of thing the Graun used to be good at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -cuts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Without wanting to sound neglected, I did post this link at 8:59 this morning. Mind you, we're used to being ignored by you lot down south.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Getting sillier and sillier now. I think this is another backfire for the Tories. Don't they get that a lot of people are fed up with very well fed and rewarded businessmen telling us all what should happen ... in their own interests?
I reckon this is all too early - there's still three months until the election. Are they really going to drag them out again at the back end of April?

Once (or rather if) the leaders debates there'd be plenty of opportunity for Miliband to state what he is for and against on the business front.

I'd say that Stuart Rose article came straight out of Conservative central office - it even lied about Ed's speech from 2011.
It started with a speech in which Ed Miliband labelled businesses as ‘predators’.
Well of course it didn't - he made it quite clear that he was pro-business where that entailed doing the right thing - innovation, hiring, investment etc - but anti-predator capitalism...the very sort that Boots now have as a boss.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

All the times we've said how thick the Tories are but then they sink to even deeper acts of stupidity.
It makes my head spin.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
danesclose wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Can somebody please ask the little weasel if he is volunteering? He blocked me, because I kept needling him. :toss:
Done
Thanks.
Dippy's responded

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 7m7 minutes ago

@CSWilliams111 No, I think that's best left to those who have volunteered, don't you.
Collapse 0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites
:roll:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

danesclose wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
danesclose wrote: Done
Thanks.
Dippy's responded

@CSWilliams111 No, I think that's best left to those who have volunteered, don't you.
He has the self awareness of a dead hedgehog.
Attachments
Hedgehodges.jpg
Hedgehodges.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
Last edited by TheGrimSqueaker on Tue 03 Feb, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... es-4922457

Campaigners call Bracknell councillors "Berkshire's fat cats" for high allowances
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

danesclose wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
danesclose wrote: Done
Thanks.
Dippy's responded

Ours not to reason why... our but to do as we are told by gung-ho morons.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

That is seriously taking the piss. Our chief exec is on about 90 grand (a very big number from where I stand for what he does) and our population isn't that short of 200,000 people. I'd be interested to know what the basic councillor allowance is, to compare it to ours.
Here you go Ernst. http://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/content ... ory_id=646 The basic is £13,300 plus £500 allowance for IT support. Then there are all kinds of travel etc perks - plus additional perks if you take on roles such as sitting on the National Parks Board ... in the region of £4,500 I believe ... and so on.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
danesclose wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Thanks.
Dippy's responded

I've asked him what the volunteers have actually volunteered for. Await his response with baited breath
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Rafael Behr ‏@rafaelbehr 9 mins9 minutes ago

Cameron says Parliament looks 'half like a school'. Some schools look more like Gothic palaces than others I suppose. #InsideTheCommons
:lol!:
Moz ‏@marcmozza 2 mins2 minutes ago
#InsideTheCommons Charlotte Leslie stating that boxing kept her from joining a gang, that or her vicar father the £5330 a term Badminton Sch
:lol:
Last edited by Spacedone on Tue 03 Feb, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

danesclose wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
danesclose wrote: Dippy's responded
I've asked him what the volunteers have actually volunteered for. Await his response with baited breath
I do wish his mother would give him a slap and tell him to grow up. Ah well, just four more months and, with luck, we will never hear of him again.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... es-4922457

Campaigners call Bracknell councillors "Berkshire's fat cats" for high allowances
Yup - they deserve to be called 'fat cats'.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Right, that is all from tonight's edition of "Fun With Photoshop".

Night all.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Quite enjoying the BBC2 programme. Cameron pushing his phrases is toe curling, especially after seeing Charles Kennedy.