Thursday 5th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 5th February 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Tories lead by 1 point on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 4th February -

Con 34%, (+1)
Lab 33%, (nc)
LD 6%, (-1)
UKIP 13%, (-1)
GRN 7%; (nc)

APP -19 (+2)
daydreamer
Minister of State

Re: Thursday 5th February 2015

Post by daydreamer »

Morning,

God, that poll is depressing :(
Frontline First comes against a backdrop of concern about the state of NHS trust finances, with the National Audit Office last year stating a quarter of NHS and foundation trusts were in deficit by the end of the financial year.

The report adds: "In the wake of increasing demand and a series of high-profile reports demonstrating the clear link between staffing levels and safe patient care, trusts have rightly been increasing staff levels.

"But they have been hamstrung by short-term workforce cuts, cuts to nurse training places and poor morale which is making retention and recruitment difficult."
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/national/ ... -1-7089961
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

A drive to get people to register to vote.
Around 7.5 million people are missing from national registers and efforts are being stepped up to get as many enrolled as possible before the April 20 deadline.

To mark what has been designated National Voter Registration Day, the Electoral Commission has arranged for a reminder to appear on the Facebook page of every UK user of the social network.

It follows the Commission's discovery - through polling by YouGov - that four in 10 people, and more than half (53%) of 18 to 24-year-olds, remain unaware that they can register to vote online.
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/national/ ... -1-7089963

7.5 million missing! :o Somehow, I doubt it was that many under the old registration system.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

David Cameron and George Osborne will arrive in Yorkshire today to place their economic record before voters.

The Prime Minister will be joined by the Chancellor for a series of engagements across the region as the Conservatives prepare to be judged on their economic policies.
As a Yorkshire lass, all I can say to the pair is 'F*ck off!' What economic plan? Is this *thelongtermeconomicplan* which, from where I'm sitting appears to be to make the north and most of the country destitute. :fire:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mai ... -1-7089913
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Well at least the hedgefund donors know where their money is going . Plenty of filthy lucre sloshing about in some quarters it seems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-3 ... ws_central#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00180.jpg
ScreenShot00180.jpg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 18090 times
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I watched some of McVile's performance at the W&P Select Committee yesterday.
I couldn't watch it all, because I was sickened by what went on.
No answers to any of the questions put to her or that idiot Hayes. Waffle, obfuscation, and blatant lies.

A claim that 70% of sanctioned people get a job, when we know it's less than 20% and the rest disappear.
A claim that jobseekers themselves are grateful for the support sanctions give them to find work.
A claim that research - no source given - proves that sanctions are great and other countries agree.

The committee members once again sat there in disbelief but seem unable to get their questions answered.
Apart from their obvious frustration, it seems they can't do anything to stop these constant lies.

I feel sick.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

I notice R4 have just had David Hare on to rubbish Labour on peak time radio. Hare also had a similar/same piece in the Graun the other day.

My, my, they really are getting the wind up, aren't they?

It's times like these, when I read your posts and hear the nonsense and pro-Tory puff on the radio, and then look at the economic and social devastation wrought in my area, and probably yours too, that I actually feel an urge to go out and knock on doors and ask people what they actually believe in?

My view is that if you approve of all the crap going down, then I would question your humanity and sense of social cohesion - if you like, and you want a slogan; your 'patriotism'. To stand by or to explicitly approve of what is happening in the UK is, imo, to betray something quite dark in your character and sense of morality.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ErnstRemarx wrote:I notice R4 have just had David Hare on to rubbish Labour on peak time radio. Hare also had a similar/same piece in the Graun the other day.

It's times like these, when I read your posts and hear the nonsense and pro-Tory puff on the radio, and then look at the economic and social devastation wrought in my area, and probably yours too, that I actually feel an urge to go out and knock on doors and ask people what they actually believe in?

My view is that if you approve of all the crap going down, then I would question your humanity and sense of social cohesion - if you like, and you want a slogan; your 'patriotism'. To stand by or to explicitly approve of what is happening in the UK is, imo, to betray something quite dark in your character and sense of morality.
I caught that when turning on the radio. Subtle as feck, especially the snippet of the play they played.

There's no disguising their partisanship.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

StephenDolan wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:I notice R4 have just had David Hare on to rubbish Labour on peak time radio. Hare also had a similar/same piece in the Graun the other day.

I caught that when turning on the radio. Subtle as feck, especially the snippet of the play they played.

There's no disguising their partisanship.
I agree, but what pains me more than anything else - even the utter loss of any sense of impartiality by a now cowed BBC - is that some who describe themselves as left wing line up to help the Tories out. Of course the BBC will have them on to slag off Labour. It's what they do. Funny how they never do it to other parties, isn't it?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

So much for the merits of competition in privatised industries and that great nirvana that is "choice". I chose to leave BT because I was unhappy with them and went to EE instead. Rather than improve their offer, BT lazily buy EE and will continue to force their high prices and rubbish customer service on me. I'm well pi**d off. By the end of this year we'll probably have a choice of about 3 mobile and broadband providers. And I don't like any of them.

Anyway, morning all. Looks like there's lots to get wound up about today. Such as overuse of agency nurses, that facebook seems more interested in explaining the new individual voter registration than the government that introduced it and the fact that the Tories are using secret clubs to get around transparency rules on local party donations.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

This any good for your BT woes? I don't use their mobile services, so don't know about that. But their internet and phone is service has been fine.

http://www.thephone.coop/home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all. The scale of the loss of registered voters is awful ...
Debbie Abrahams ‏@Debbie_abrahams 1m1 minute ago
1m 'lost' from electoral register since IER & 7.5m 'missing'. Need to be registered to have your say #NVRD http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ge ... et-5108575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
The Tories and Lib Dems are going to go down as the government that seriously damaged our democracy (in addition to all their other sins) far from enhancing it and opening up government as they brazenly claimed at the outset. Not only have they done nothing about Lords reform ... failed on PR ... they've introduced a gagging bill that restricts the rights of the very organisations we need to have a bigger voice as government cracks down on the majority of society whilst allowing corporations and in house lobbyists to continue unfettered ... removed the ability for most of us to challenge unfair dismissal or be represented in the courts and challenge government decision making by judicial review ... and we've got the expensive and ludicrously undemocratic Police & Crime Commissioners as a lasting legacy if this lot get in again.

What a testament to the 'difference' the Lib Dems have made in government ... that restraining influence they've had on the 'nasty party'. Their election slogan of a stronger economy and fairer society couldn't get more hollow ...
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rowena Mason ‏@rowenamason 5m5 minutes ago
"Utter, utter bilge": Nick Clegg's verdict on the Unite/Survation poll suggesting he will lose his Sheffield Hallam seat
Please Sheffield Hallam ... please. MAKE HIM EAT HIS WORDS.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

Just to say thank you for the welcome messages yesterday. I had quite a few virtual biscuits ( I really like those Jaffa Cakes).

And thank you for all the info as usual.

A question for rebeccariots2: Is that your dog?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

mikems wrote:This any good for your BT woes? I don't use their mobile services, so don't know about that. But their internet and phone is service has been fine.

http://www.thephone.coop/home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. I didn't know Co-op did broadband. Looks good, but I've still got over a year on my contract with EE. And I actually like EE, as well, you get a lot for the money, like EETV, but now I'm worried BT won't support it and I'll no longer be able to access Wuaki TV and other services through my EE box. Or indeed, I'll have to return my box as it belongs to EE. I thought I'd got all the advantages of a SkyHD box or BT Vision box such as replay tv for 7 channels, huge space for recording and multiple tuners, all without the need to subscribe to channels I don't want, but I can't see BT continuing with it as they have their own box. I'm glad Co-op are offering some competition, though, and I had forgotten about the Post Office. My prediction of 3 broadband suppliers by the end of the year may have been a slight exaggeration!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Ephemerid.

One word uttered by E.McVey encapsulated the mindset -"sentence"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Maeght wrote: A question for rebeccariots2: Is that your dog?
Yes, that's 'Music' (or Musica, as she's originally from Spain).
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

http://blogs.channel4.com/paul-mason-bl ... y-ecb/3199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This news has made me very nervous today. I just don't know who will blink first and it could have terrible consequences for the rest of us if Greece leaves the Euro.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
She is lovely. I envy you.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Maeght wrote:http://blogs.channel4.com/paul-mason-bl ... y-ecb/3199

This news has made me very nervous today. I just don't know who will blink first and it could have terrible consequences for the rest of us if Greece leaves the Euro.
What do you think the consequences would be, if they did?

It's not at all clear from that article - or it seems to anybody who's saying - who has made the decision re not accepting the Greek bonds. That's what I find scary ... it's manipulation by unnamed and unaccountable figures ... and who knows what their interests may be?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Morning all.

Interesting piece up in the Speccie about Clegg's appearance on The Last Leg.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/h ... -watching/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:@Ephemerid.

One word uttered by E.McVey encapsulated the mindset -"sentence"

Indeed, A.

I thought the language used was appalling.

"Sentence" encapsulates the mindset as you say - but even in the short sequence I could bear to watch, I heard "deterrent", "compliance", "rigorous".
All very punitive language; if sanctions are a "deterrent" (a word used often) what are they deterring people from? Daring to claim a benefit?
Despite the mass of evidence presented to the Committee and referenced by its members, McVey continued to deny that targets exist for sanctions.

She also denied that loss of benefits were implicated in any of the "Peer reviews following the death of a customer while on benefits" and insisted that the reviews were aimed at looking at "how best we worked at supporting the individuals" and "we ensured that we followed all our procedures correctly".
She failed to answer any of the questions relating to hardship caused by sanctions, insisted that sanctions involve "personalised support", and said that the longer periods (3 years) were backed up by "international research" which she could not reference and which she refused to expand on.

I find these hearing exasperating. The Committee occasionally asks a good question, but they are not hard enough on the lies and obfuscations. For every "fact" McVey and Hayes trotted out, I could have given them chapter and verse, with sources (mainly from their own figures) proving that they are lying. I simply cannot understand why Committee members don't do this.

Hopeless.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dom Trendall retweeted
George Galloway ‏@georgegalloway 54 mins
UKIP have pulled out of tonight's @bbcquestiontime Cowards.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning all. The scale of the loss of registered voters is awful ...
Debbie Abrahams ‏@Debbie_abrahams 1m1 minute ago
1m 'lost' from electoral register since IER & 7.5m 'missing'. Need to be registered to have your say #NVRD http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ge ... et-5108575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
The Tories and Lib Dems are going to go down as the government that seriously damaged our democracy (in addition to all their other sins) far from enhancing it and opening up government as they brazenly claimed at the outset. Not only have they done nothing about Lords reform ... failed on PR ... they've introduced a gagging bill that restricts the rights of the very organisations we need to have a bigger voice as government cracks down on the majority of society whilst allowing corporations and in house lobbyists to continue unfettered ... removed the ability for most of us to challenge unfair dismissal or be represented in the courts and challenge government decision making by judicial review ... and we've got the expensive and ludicrously undemocratic Police & Crime Commissioners as a lasting legacy if this lot get in again.

What a testament to the 'difference' the Lib Dems have made in government ... that restraining influence they've had on the 'nasty party'. Their election slogan of a stronger economy and fairer society couldn't get more hollow ...
In an article for the Independent today, Ed Miliband said:

When the history of this Government comes to be written, one of the great scandals will be over an issue that is only now beginning to emerge in the final days.

Hundreds of thousands of people are losing the right to vote in our country because of decisions taken by ministers to rush through changes in the law.

Last month Labour disclosed that one million people –often students, people living in rented homes and ethnic minorities - have disappeared from the Electoral Register because of government reforms in the last 12 months.

Today, we are publishing new figures suggesting that the decline in the number of people turning 18 who are on the electoral roll for the first time has been even steeper.

The right to vote is in retreat from Bristol to Birmingham, from Norwich to Newcastle. In Plymouth, the number of 17 year olds on the register turning 18 from March to May has fallen by an extraordinary 97 per cent.

Even on the most optimistic estimate, the changes this government has forced through will mean that when young people turn 18, less than half of them are likely to be registered.

This is not just a scandal, it is a disaster for our democracy.
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1101418 ... oters-is-a
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Dom Trendall retweeted
It's moved on a little since that tweet - here's the exchange and apology.
Gawain Towler ‏@GawainTowler 51m51 minutes ago
@georgegalloway @bbcquestiontime Ruibbish - @SuzanneEvans1 is ill, we offered @Steven_Woolfe #BBCQT wanted a woman, not political balance

‏@georgegalloway
@GawainTowler @bbcquestiontime @SuzanneEvans1 @Steven_Woolfe fair point, I didn't know that and apologise to her and UKIP
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote:I find these hearing exasperating. The Committee occasionally asks a good question, but they are not hard enough on the lies and obfuscations. For every "fact" McVey and Hayes trotted out, I could have given them chapter and verse, with sources (mainly from their own figures) proving that they are lying. I simply cannot understand why Committee members don't do this.
For the same reason Ed Balls can't tell Osborne he is a lying bastard, arcane parliamentary procedures. Anne Begg knows her stuff, Glenda Jackson knows her stuff but they are limited in what they can do; I didn't watch yesterday's committee session but I have seen others where you can see, from the look in Glenda's eyes, that she wants to rip out McVile's throat but instead has to ask calm & measured questions. Margaret Hodge, Anne Begg et al do good work on these committees, within the limits available to them, but I'd dearly love to see them being given the powers to really hold Ministers to account. :(
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
@georgegalloway @bbcquestiontime Ruibbish - @SuzanneEvans1 is ill, we offered @Steven_Woolfe #BBCQT wanted a woman, not political balance

‏@georgegalloway
@GawainTowler @bbcquestiontime @SuzanneEvans1 @Steven_Woolfe fair point, I didn't know that and apologise to her and UKIP
The concept of "UKIP" and "political balance" is, surely, an oxymoron?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Maeght wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
She is lovely. I envy you.
Wait.

You're not the beautiful canine, RR2????
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's okay. I'm not the red mandala either.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Maeght wrote:Just to say thank you for the welcome messages yesterday. I had quite a few virtual biscuits ( I really like those Jaffa Cakes).

And thank you for all the info as usual.

A question for rebeccariots2: Is that your dog?
Good to know you, Maeght, welcome.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

‏@georgegalloway
The concept of "UKIP" and "political balance" is, surely, an oxymoron?
"wanted a woman, not political balance"

What's wrong with this bit of quote?
Having women as well as men taking part in politics is all about balance.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

It's not at all clear from that article - or it seems to anybody who's saying - who has made the decision re not accepting the Greek bonds. That's what I find scary ... it's manipulation by unnamed and unaccountable figures ... and who knows what their interests may be?
This article clearly shows how what has been happening in the Eurozone makes little economic sense:

https://rwer.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/g ... #more-7723

I suspect motives are unclear because there are conflicting groups and motives at work here. Austerity seems to be the ends, rather than the means, in an odd sort of way and that's what doesn't make sense. A solution for Greece is necessary to protect the Euro. Austerity clearly isn't working and Germany looks like they are willing to explore other options but the ECB seems set on a course to achieve austerity as an aim in itself, rather than any solution available to the wider Euro problem. Why? Tie it in with the austerity obsession among the right in the UK at the moment, despite us having complete control of our currency and therefore none of the issues faced by Greece, an obsession never before evident in our right-wing politicians, and you have a pattern where austerity is the aim not the means. This is why people become conspiracy theorists. Why has a nonsensical economic policy suddenly become an accepted mainstream norm - even though it has yet to achieve the desired results anywhere? Austerity doesn't work during economic downturns. It never has and never will. I suspect that what is happening in Greece is politically, not economically, motivated. Greece can't be allowed to prove that alternatives to austerity are more efficient and effective at reducing deficit and debt as it would blow a hole in a nice little excuse the right-wing has invented as camouflage to dismantle Europe's socialist social security systems. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, however, and believe there are plenty of people who don't buy into the whole austerity thing completely and a reasonable compromise with Greece can, and probably will, be found. I don't quite live in Hope, but I do err on the optimistic!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

There is a line in that article which chills me to the bone - on the leaked document outlining what the Germans want, Mason says "...the total reversal of the elected Greek governments' policy of cancelling austerity, even down to detail about ending reforms to the structure of ministries" - in other words, the Germans/bankers/whoever want to impose their idea of how another sovereign nation with an elected government must be run. How fucking DARE they?

Mason is of the view, eventually, that a lot of this is posturing and common sense will prevail; but he also says that Syriza will not continue in government if they cannot reverse the austerity imposed on their people - and if push comes to shove, the government in Greece has a constitutional instrument by which it can simply hand the country back to the parties who failed Greece before.
That would lead to utter chaos, IMHO. I think the impact of the ECB/Germany interfering in the democratic will of a sovereign nation would cause serious trouble in other EU countries. If the great Euro experiment fails, so be it. It is unacceptable to me that an elected government can be dictated to in this way. If financial chaos ensues, so be it. I really don't care, actually. Fuck 'em.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Have you heard John Mills response to all the furore over Labour & business ?

No, nor have I but one look at his twitter feed & it's plain to see that Mills was virtually pleading to be asked his opinion by both print & TV broadcasters but not a single one took him up on his offer - funny that ......

@MrHarryCole happy to do a few words exclusively for your blog too, if you fancy it...

@edacuk @MrHarryCole @Ed_Miliband people can ask me any questions they like. Hence why I am offering myself for interview!

@bbcnickrobinson I'm @UKLabour's largest donor, successful businessman, and strong supporter of @Ed_Miliband. Happy to talk on air if needed

@bbclaurak I'm @UKLabour's largest donor, successful businessman, and strong supporter of @Ed_Miliband. Happy to talk on air if needed!

@rosschawkins I'm @UKLabour's largest donor, successful businessman, and strong supporter of @Ed_Miliband. Happy to talk on air if needed!

https://twitter.com/John_mills_jml/with_replies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

The line up is enough to turn off most viewers too:

Nicky Morgan
Tristram Hunt
George Galloway
Cristina Odone
Jonathan Freedland.

No wonder there is a disconnect between our real world & their political world when this is the kind of offer made to licence paying viewers.

Said it time & again, Dimbleby needs to be forced to retire & the whole show overhauled if it wants to encourage more viewers.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

This article clearly shows how what has been happening in the Eurozone makes little economic sense:

https://rwer.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/g ... #more-7723

I suspect motives are unclear because there are conflicting groups and motives at work here. Austerity seems to be the ends, rather than the means, in an odd sort of way and that's what doesn't make sense. A solution for Greece is necessary to protect the Euro. Austerity clearly isn't working and Germany looks like they are willing to explore other options but the ECB seems set on a course to achieve austerity as an aim in itself, rather than any solution available to the wider Euro problem. Why? Tie it in with the austerity obsession among the right in the UK at the moment, despite us having complete control of our currency and therefore none of the issues faced by Greece, an obsession never before evident in our right-wing politicians, and you have a pattern where austerity is the aim not the means. This is why people become conspiracy theorists. Why has a nonsensical economic policy suddenly become an accepted mainstream norm - even though it has yet to achieve the desired results anywhere? Austerity doesn't work during economic downturns. It never has and never will. I suspect that what is happening in Greece is politically, not economically, motivated. Greece can't be allowed to prove that alternatives to austerity are more efficient and effective at reducing deficit and debt as it would blow a hole in a nice little excuse the right-wing has invented as camouflage to dismantle Europe's socialist social security systems. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, however, and believe there are plenty of people who don't buy into the whole austerity thing completely and a reasonable compromise with Greece can, and probably will, be found. I don't quite live in Hope, but I do err on the optimistic!
You've summed up the reality beautifully, Willow. There's nothing conspiracy theorist about reporting the facts as they're lived.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

The idea that Deirdre Kelly should become a celebrity on the back of so-called Benefits Street is a disgrace. Mind you, the production company is called Love Productions. That’s a bit like Stalin calling Pravda ‘free press’.”
:lol:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/dav ... treet-is-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mother-of-two Kelly told LBC Radio last month that she was planning to vote Labour, after previously hinting that she was tempted by UKIP.
Yawn.....she has previously been tempted by the Cons & the LDs so god alone knows why they bother asking her how she intends to vote. Her vote is worth no more than mine, given that we both live in safe seats.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

pk1 wrote:
The line up is enough to turn off most viewers too:

Nicky Morgan
Tristram Hunt
George Galloway
Cristina Odone
Jonathan Freedland.

No wonder there is a disconnect between our real world & their political world when this is the kind of offer made to licence paying viewers.

Said it time & again, Dimbleby needs to be forced to retire & the whole show overhauled if it wants to encourage more viewers.
Morgan and Hunt on the same panel?

Now that might be quite interesting...especially if someone brings up the idea of sacking HTs if 100% of pupils can't get the 12 times table right.

There's a bit on that here.

https://notveryjolley.wordpress.com/201 ... ing-heads/
As a former primary school governor, I can’t blog without mentioning the recent lunacy regarding primary heads being sacked if 100% of pupils don’t know their times tables. I find it hard to control my disdain for those who put this forward. To call it a plan gives plans a bad name, rather than write a rant, here are some bullet points on how wrongheaded this all is.
:D

Right - library beckons...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ephemerid wrote:

There is a line in that article which chills me to the bone - on the leaked document outlining what the Germans want, Mason says "...the total reversal of the elected Greek governments' policy of cancelling austerity, even down to detail about ending reforms to the structure of ministries" - in other words, the Germans/bankers/whoever want to impose their idea of how another sovereign nation with an elected government must be run. How fucking DARE they?

Mason is of the view, eventually, that a lot of this is posturing and common sense will prevail; but he also says that Syriza will not continue in government if they cannot reverse the austerity imposed on their people - and if push comes to shove, the government in Greece has a constitutional instrument by which it can simply hand the country back to the parties who failed Greece before.
That would lead to utter chaos, IMHO. I think the impact of the ECB/Germany interfering in the democratic will of a sovereign nation would cause serious trouble in other EU countries. If the great Euro experiment fails, so be it. It is unacceptable to me that an elected government can be dictated to in this way. If financial chaos ensues, so be it. I really don't care, actually. Fuck 'em.
I am a lifelong pro-European, but find it hard to disagree with any of that tbh.

If the democratic will of the Greek people is overturned and the old discredited parties put back in effectively by diktat, not only will Greece become totally ungovernable (with unknowable consequences) but we can expect a total s***storm in many other EU countries.

It is obvious that many who still cling to the neoliberal religion are desperate for Syriza to crash and burn. Rarely has "be careful what you wish for" been a more apposite warning :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

It could be a financial crisis worse than Lehman bros. The domino effect could/would affect everybody.

Am just going to watch the press conference with Varoufakis and Schäuble the Greek and German finance ministers. If I understand anything I will post again!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

To help get Clegg out, here's the donation page for Oliver Coppard :D

https://yoomee.nationbuilder.com/donate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

daydreamer wrote:Morning,

I do wonder what the polls might say if the widely rumoured truth about the "Westminster paedophile ring" finally goes public before the GE?

There was a startling post in another place (from the son of election pundit Mike Smithson, who works in journalism) the other day claiming that several papers are ready to finally run with it, and are just clearing stuff up with their lawyers first.

This could be expenses all over again, except the fallout could be even bigger - the Dutroux scandal led to Belgium becoming almost ungovernable, remember.

Hold on to your hats, everybody :shock:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
daydreamer wrote:Morning,

I do wonder what the polls might say if the widely rumoured truth about the "Westminster paedophile ring" finally goes public before the GE?

There was a startling post in another place (from the son of election pundit Mike Smithson, who works in journalism) the other day claiming that several papers are ready to finally run with it, and are just clearing stuff up with their lawyers first.

This could be expenses all over again, except the fallout could be even bigger - the Dutroux scandal led to Belgium becoming almost ungovernable, remember.

Hold on to your hats, everybody :shock:
The right wing press simply won't publish unless the names are Labour... if they are, then this will be the final blow to Ed to stop him getting to No. 10
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Because it will cheer us up ...
Adam Bienkov ‏@AdamBienkov 54m54 minutes ago
Survation have posted the full tables for their Sheffield poll. Clegg wrong to dismiss it. He really is in trouble. http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/02 ... r-the-chop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Decapitation: Nick Clegg set for the chop
http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/02 ... r-the-chop
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Austerity is an end in itself, because the alternative is simply too awful for the ruling classes to contemplate - having to accept their gambling losses in worldwide paper assets that turned out to be valueless. There are trillions in inflated asset values still being traded as if they are worth something - and these values are only being propped up by QE and, politically, by austerity

If Greece fails to continue bleeding the people so that their banks can continue to recieve 'aid' (that is used to pay off debts to other banks in the EU) to pay off 'creditors', then the creditors will find themselves in the same position as they were in post Lehman's collapse - the real value of assets will be exposed and they will collapse, along with banking capital at all tiers, which is made up from the similarly overvalued assets.

The latest move from the ECB is a surprise - ending the liquidity arrangements for Greek banks with the Greek govt as backer. This means they won't be able to continue operating for much longer without external sources of liquidity. And that means that the great unwind of false asset values is more likely. It is being interpreted as a way of forcing a decision, but it seems a bit desperate to me, to say the least.

The easiest option - a partial write off and rescheduling with the growth bonds idea - is out of bounds because it is a threat to asset values which cannot bear any sort of mark down without a cascade of repurcussion in the creditor chain.

It's not really about the Euro - its structural weaknesses are merely a reflection of capitalist reality, a reality compounded by the ECB not being responsible to governments, merely the private banking system.
Last edited by mikems on Thu 05 Feb, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ephemerid wrote:I find these hearing exasperating. The Committee occasionally asks a good question, but they are not hard enough on the lies and obfuscations. For every "fact" McVey and Hayes trotted out, I could have given them chapter and verse, with sources (mainly from their own figures) proving that they are lying. I simply cannot understand why Committee members don't do this.
For the same reason Ed Balls can't tell Osborne he is a lying bastard, arcane parliamentary procedures. Anne Begg knows her stuff, Glenda Jackson knows her stuff but they are limited in what they can do; I didn't watch yesterday's committee session but I have seen others where you can see, from the look in Glenda's eyes, that she wants to rip out McVile's throat but instead has to ask calm & measured questions. Margaret Hodge, Anne Begg et al do good work on these committees, within the limits available to them, but I'd dearly love to see them being given the powers to really hold Ministers to account. :(

Those arcane politenesses do not apply in the Synnedd. They say what they think there, and quite right too.

I have sent McVile a series of Tweets which she will completely ignore - or whoever runs her Twitter account.

Some MPs, and she is one of many, have absolutely no idea what they are doing and are complete strangers to truth.
I despise them - they are a disgrace to their office.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ephemerid wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Those arcane politenesses do not apply in the Synnedd. They say what they think there, and quite right too.

I have sent McVile a series of Tweets which she will completely ignore - or whoever runs her Twitter account.

Some MPs, and she is one of many, have absolutely no idea what they are doing and are complete strangers to truth.
I despise them - they are a disgrace to their office.

I'd copy the Tweets here if I knew how for those who don't do Twittery.....
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tim Fenton on Durham Free School, the Spectator & Dennis Sewell

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... ption.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Had some good news about my son yesterday. Attentive readers may remember that he was made redundant last year and has not been able to get a penny out of DWP in all that time.

I won't bore you with the details but it turns out he was sanctioned before he had made a claim. He was supposed to have filled in a form which had not been sent to him.

Finally spoke to someone a couple of weeks ago and gave them a proper blast.

Yesterday he was phoned and told that their decisions had been reversed and he would have his backdated claim paid in full. Which is a huge relief to me since I have had to support him out of my own ESA money, which is barely enough for me to live on.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

9/10 in Wales satisfied with the services they have had when dealing with the NHS.

http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/healthands ... =1&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You won't find these stats in the Mail or on the BBC so I thought I would link them. <sarcasm alert>

Been a depressing few weeks, so have a :hug: everybody.