Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th February 2015

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3 hrs3 hours ago
Revised @LordAshcroft outcome for December Doncast N poll
LAB 55
UKIP 25
CON 13
LD 4
GRN 2
How do people like that chap from the RMT square their view of the Greens with the fact they come nowhere in working class seats?

There's a bloke like that on another board. Labour only just beating UKIP in his hometown (Haywood and Middleton) was because they were too right wing. His Greens lost their deposit.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That RMT Green bloke is ex-TUSC. I wonder if they're out of money.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
LAB 55
UKIP 25
CON 13
LD 4
GRN 2
How do people like that chap from the RMT square their view of the Greens with the fact they come nowhere in working class seats?

There's a bloke like that on another board. Labour only just beating UKIP in his hometown (Haywood and Middleton) was because they were too right wing. His Greens lost their deposit.
Greens just don't seem to get that if you're hungry - homeless - struggling - under employed - under paid - it's immediate. You can't wait for your life to be fixed in the distant future. You don't have the energy or patience to look that far ahead. The next day is all you can consider.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
LAB 55
UKIP 25
CON 13
LD 4
GRN 2

Greens just don't seem to get that if you're hungry - homeless - struggling - under employed - under paid - it's immediate. You can't wait for your life to be fixed in the distant future. You don't have the energy or patience to look that far ahead. The next day is all you can consider.
But a little suffering in the short term is worth it, because real change is needed!! Their sacrifice will not have been in vain. Or something like that.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:That RMT Green bloke is ex-TUSC. I wonder if they're out of money.
There was a rather unkind tweet (in response to John Rentoul tweeting about the RMT Green bloke) saying it might be a good thing if the Greens attracted all the nutters away from the Labour party. (The tweeters words - not mine.) I wonder if that's what he was referring to.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 3m3 minutes ago
Despite bruising week for Ed M, Lab lead at 2 in Op/Obs poll. Lab 34 +1, Con 32 n/c, Lib Dem 7+2, UKIP 15 -3, Green 8 +2. Crisis?
I think the perpetual manning of the 'bruising week for Ed' machine over the past 4 1/2 years might prove to have been a mistake. There's only so much of the same bashing at every opportunity you / the public can take without either switching off to it ... or starting to smell a rat. Whichever happens ... the tactic starts to have less and less impact.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
LAB 55
UKIP 25
CON 13
LD 4
GRN 2

One of my neighbours veers to the Greens.
When we were up with her & her hubby the other week it was 'Iraq....Iraq....& that f***ing Blair took all our civil liberties away'. ''All our civil liberties ?'' I asked.

But, guess which is which out of our two households.

Household 1. Large income; don't bother to replace an old, low efficiency oil guzzling Rayburn range boiler; high energy light bulbs in many fittings; travelled over 20,000 miles by car last year ; one of the household flew to at least five foreign destinations, two long haul; rails against supermarkets thinks everyone should buy local and organic but buys stuff from Morrisons then tries to hide it; leaves electrical things on standby when away [am feeding their cats at the moment].

Household 2. Less income; spent money on a 93% effiency boiler and wrap up in fleeces to save burning oil; travelled less than 4,000 miles by car, no air travel; all low energy bulbs in use.

Yet, of course <sarcastic mode> Labour voters don't care about the planet or the future for our grandchildren.
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 07 Feb, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just think. If all the disgruntled parents thanks to Gove's reforms, the disabled and unemployed who've been shat on by IDS, and the legal profession screwed over by Grayling voted Labour, the Tories would be well and truly wiped out.

If that doesn't happen, then we'll know that many who have been screaming about how badly they've been treated by the Conservatives still lacked the courage of their convictions, and won't be taken so seriously in the future.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sorry if that sounded grumpy. Blood sugar low, time to get supper going.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:Sorry if that sounded grumpy. Blood sugar low, time to get supper going.
I thought it sounded perfectly reasonable.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: How do people like that chap from the RMT square their view of the Greens with the fact they come nowhere in working class seats?

When we were up with her & her hubby the other week it was 'Iraq....Iraq....& that f***ing Blair took all our civil liberties away'. ''All our civil liberties ?'' I asked.

Household 1. Large income; don't bother to replace an old, low efficiency oil guzzling Rayburn range boiler; high energy light bulbs in many fittings; travelled over 20,000 miles by car last year ; one of the household flew to at least five foreign destinations, two long haul; rails against supermarkets thinks everyone should buy local and organic but buys stuff from Morrisons then tries to hide it; leaves electrical things on standby when away [am feeding their cats at the moment].

Household 2. Less income; spent money on a 93% effiency boiler and wrap up in fleeces to save burning oil; travelled less than 4,000 miles by car, no air travel; all low energy bulbs in use.

Yet, of course <sarcastic mode> Labour voters don't care about the planet or the future for our grandchildren.
You could base a very funny comedy series around a family like that. And the funniest thing would be people like that wouldn't recognise themselves.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
yahyah wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Greens just don't seem to get that if you're hungry - homeless - struggling - under employed - under paid - it's immediate. You can't wait for your life to be fixed in the distant future. You don't have the energy or patience to look that far ahead. The next day is all you can consider.

You could base a very funny comedy series around a family like that. And the funniest thing would be people like that wouldn't recognise themselves.
They don't even shop at Waitrose who are a bit more environmentally aware. But Morrisons? Whew !
Rednorth
Backbencher

Post by Rednorth »

Ed should really go hard on the tax haven stuff. People aren't impressed by billionaire tax dodgers who don't even live here telling us how to vote.

I sometimes don't understand the left; whereas the right finds a populist issue like immigration and exploits it to the full, where Labour's views coincide with popular views....like tax havens, railways etc, they seem reluctant to exploit it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: How do people like that chap from the RMT square their view of the Greens with the fact they come nowhere in working class seats?

But a little suffering in the short term is worth it, because real change is needed!! Their sacrifice will not have been in vain. Or something like that.
Or something like that is dead right.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

You certainly could OhSo.

The wife asked me if we wanted to go to see a film about how much 'stuff' we all had and how we were wrecking the planet by having so much stuff.

This is a woman who converted two stables to have watertight space to store her boxes of stuff, and had loft space created in two rooms in the house to store more...yes you've guessed.... stuff.

My favourite moment was when her husband was playing mine host one Christmas and we said we really liked the champagne...he said he'd got six bottles on a deal from Morrison's. Wife gave him a look that could have killed !

Still none of us are perfect.

But, really, did Blair take all our civil liberties away ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Sorry if that sounded grumpy. Blood sugar low, time to get supper going.
Sounded all right to me. And spot on. Lip service.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:You certainly could OhSo.

The wife asked me if we wanted to go to see a film about how much 'stuff' we all had and how we were wrecking the planet by having so much stuff.

This is a woman who converted two stables to have watertight space to store her boxes of stuff, and had loft space created in two rooms in the house to store more...yes you've guessed.... stuff.

My favourite moment was when her husband was playing mine host one Christmas and we said we really liked the champagne...he said he'd got six bottles on a deal from Morrison's. Wife gave him a look that could have killed !

No - not all of them by a fair stretch. But he had a good try. People got worried and, in the last General Election, voted in such a way as to allow the Conservatives along with their familiars, the LibDems, into government believing that all that sort of thing would stop. I wonder how that's going . . . .
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

They haven't quite lowered themselves to shop at Aldi's then? They should. Some of the best families shop there now. It's almost a badge of honour. :lol: You should drop a hint --- or two :twisted:

And I always think knowing a family like that can make you feel so much better about yourself :rock:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Janos Toth ‏@JanosToth1 9m9 minutes ago
LAB lead by 2% with Opinium poll for the Observer. 34% is increase & good
LAB 34%, CON 32%, UKIP 15%, GRN 8%, LD 7%
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And I guess there's another difference between them and us...
My loft is completely empty. When I have 'stuff', it goes straight to the charity shop.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some people can afford to be "green",some people are green without conscious effort (not Party reference.)No car,no air travel,walk/cycle/public transport.Grow own veg,energy efficient lightbulbs/appliances,recycling,second hand shops -it is more being extremely mean careful to be honest.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sounds like the updated version of Abigail's Party yahyah.

We have a local person who is all things eco - runs the renewables funding groups - organises tours of other peoples green / eco houses and lifestyles - etc etc etc. They are not however a Green party member - they are actually a committed Plaid Cymru activist who tries to claim all green things originate from them and tells everyone it's not worth voting Green you should vote for PC instead.

The standing joke amongst many of us eco living bods locally is that this person very publicly bought an electric bike for use around here .... (madness, the hills, the hills and more hills) ... and it's a Chinese one, and has a very large and heavy battery. This bike will more or less get them to a meeting (green living group or similar) but never has sufficient battery power left to do the return journey. We all end up having to give them a lift back home in our ancient diesel 4 wheel drive vehicles - which, of course, mostly have enough space to carry the bloody bike too because they are the right sort of vehicle for most of us working the land around here. We also had someone using an old milk float to get around for a while. Similar scenario - only less speed! Used to take them all day to get into Cardigan.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:

And I guess there's another difference between them and us...
My loft is completely empty. When I have 'stuff', it goes straight to the charity shop.
And you'd probably be horrified if you saw how much they owed on their credit cards...
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ah, one of the useful idiots who'd rather return a Tory government than a Labour one. Very helpful - I hope he enjoys his ideological purity if/when the Tories get back in. The self-righteous prick.
I don't get this. I just don't. The Labour Party is more leftwing now than at any time in the last 20 years, so why are these people choosing now to reject it? Do they honestly think that getting rid of Miliband wil make Labour more leftwing? Do they not realise that if Miliband loses, the Blairites will win and there will never be a leftwing Labour Party again? Or do they think that Labour will just die and the Green Party take over?

Maybe I'm wrong and the country won't go to shit if the Tories win again, or things won't be substantially better with a Labour government, but with ever greater evidence that they're not 'all the same' I fail to see the logic at work here.
This, a thousand times this. You've articulated it much better than I could. I just don't get it either. :(

If we reject Labour in May, then we're saying, as a nation, that we don't want social democracy, in any form, not even a watered down version. It that comes to pass, I fear it'll never be offered again. In my mind the next election is the most important of a generation.
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Sounds like the updated version of Abigail's Party yahyah.

We have a local person who is all things eco - runs the renewables funding groups - organises tours of other peoples green / eco houses and lifestyles - etc etc etc. They are not however a Green party member - they are actually a committed Plaid Cymru activist who tries to claim all green things originate from them and tells everyone it's not worth voting Green you should vote for PC instead.

The standing joke amongst many of us eco living bods locally is that this person very publicly bought an electric bike for use around here .... (madness, the hills, the hills and more hills) ... and it's a Chinese one, and has a very large and heavy battery. This bike will more or less get them to a meeting (green living group or similar) but never has sufficient battery power left to do the return journey. We all end up having to give them a lift back home in our ancient diesel 4 wheel drive vehicles - which, of course, mostly have enough space to carry the bloody bike too because they are the right sort of vehicle for most of us working the land around here. We also had someone using an old milk float to get around for a while. Similar scenario - only less speed! Used to take them all day to get into Cardigan.
I wish I lived around yours and YahYah's neighbours. They'd be a constant source of laughter...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

HindleA wrote:Some people can afford to be "green",some people are green without conscious effort (not Party reference.)No car,no air travel,walk/cycle/public transport.Grow own veg,energy efficient lightbulbs/appliances,recycling,second hand shops -it is more being extremely mean careful to be honest.

:D You've sussed me.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

daydreamer wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Ah, one of the useful idiots who'd rather return a Tory government than a Labour one. Very helpful - I hope he enjoys his ideological purity if/when the Tories get back in. The self-righteous prick.
I don't get this. I just don't. The Labour Party is more leftwing now than at any time in the last 20 years, so why are these people choosing now to reject it? Do they honestly think that getting rid of Miliband wil make Labour more leftwing? Do they not realise that if Miliband loses, the Blairites will win and there will never be a leftwing Labour Party again? Or do they think that Labour will just die and the Green Party take over?

Maybe I'm wrong and the country won't go to shit if the Tories win again, or things won't be substantially better with a Labour government, but with ever greater evidence that they're not 'all the same' I fail to see the logic at work here.
This, a thousand times this. You've articulated it much better than I could. I just don't get it either. :(

If we reject Labour in May, then we're saying, as a nation, that we don't want social democracy, in any form, not even a watered down version. It that comes to pass, I fear it'll never be offered again. In my mind the next election is the most important of a generation.
We should, in theory, if we counted the numbers of people adversely affected by this government, end up with the most thumping Labour majority ever seen...So why do I fear we won't?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ tinyclanger2

I don't know what's been going on but I haven't edited anything at all today (maybe I've been missing the errors). I'm sure normal service will be resumed very soon.

For now, though, goodnight to you and to everyone else.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:@ tinyclanger2

I don't know what's been going on but I haven't edited anything at all today (maybe I've been missing the errors). I'm sure normal service will be resumed very soon.

Night PF.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
HindleA wrote:Some people can afford to be "green",some people are green without conscious effort (not Party reference.)No car,no air travel,walk/cycle/public transport.Grow own veg,energy efficient lightbulbs/appliances,recycling,second hand shops -it is more being extremely mean careful to be honest.

Damn. Me too. Apart from the car that is. But we have an impressively low mileage on the clock. To make up for it, we don't go on holiday [nil air miles since 1969 and nil road miles either] buy new clothes or anything else much if I can get it second hand, and we use energy saving light bulbs and turn off standby lights because it really does save on bills.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:

Night PF.
Night PF... :) See you tomorrow.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

To be fair, I've always had to be careful. Lived by make do and mend. It's second nature.
It's clear YahYah and Rebecca Riot's neighbours haven't, consequently they haven't a clue............
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
yahyah wrote:

Damn. Me too. Apart from the car that is. But we have an impressively low mileage on the clock. To make up for it, we don't go on holiday [nil air miles since 1969 and nil road miles either] buy new clothes or anything else much if I can get it second hand, and we use energy saving light bulbs and turn off standby lights because it really does save on bills.
That's us too. I'd also add - the forgotten art of 'mending' things. I (and Mr Riots also, to his credit) repair our clothes and anything else we can. We also scavenge and re use as many materials as possible. We maybe have a single bag for the rubbish collection every 3 or 4 weeks or so. We don't waste anything if at all possible. But the meme probably has us as members of the generation that doesn't care about the planet - and is greedy and is using all the planet's resources to the detriment of the young. Somehow we have to find a way of breaking out of this horribly divisive framing of every important issue these days. We - our generation - have a lot to pass on to younger people about how we made and make the most of everything - and don't accept the built in obsolescence / disposable culture of later generations. We've been set up against each other ... and that's not true or useful.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Night PF.

@Ohso and Yahyah, problem is that people like that give Greens (like Tizme and Tem) a bad name; they result in the oft raised accusation of them being a comfortable & middle class party, which isn't entirely fair.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

How big are the police force in Scotland?

"Top cop's probe reveals over 1700 police staff have had criminal proceedings raised against them."
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... er-5120018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Night PF :)
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The people connected to David Cameron who are linked to tax avoidance

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/t ... gylgIvPk2e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:The people connected to David Cameron who are linked to tax avoidance

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/t ... gylgIvPk2e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No George Osborne?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

It's a funny old world.
There's us looking down on the 'luvvies', and the 'luvvies' looking down on us.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Night PF.

@Ohso and Yahyah, problem is that people like that give Greens (like Tizme and Tem) a bad name; they result in the oft raised accusation of them being a comfortable & middle class party, which isn't entirely fair.
They certainly make a mockery of the concept of Green.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Please don't laugh at the one, it really, really is not funny.
Women's prison mass jail break after inmates in dominatrix gear handcuff male guards expecting 'mass orgy'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ak-5120591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stop it!

:lol!:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed Miliband MP, Leader of the Labour Party, speech to the Labour Local Government Conference in Nottingham

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1103309 ... rty-speech" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bedroom Tax leaves 1,500 larger homes empty and councils with a £20MILLION rent deficit

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/be ... er-5124510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Bedroom Tax leaves 1,500 larger homes empty and councils with a £20MILLION rent deficit

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/be ... er-5124510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Every day, in every way, my astonishment at the sheer cleverness of our beloved Government gets ever greater.
The truth ferret speaks!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... homophobia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour plans blacklist to curb rising hate crime in U.K.

People convicted of homophobic, transgender or disability hate crime would be put on a “blacklist” to warn future employers of past misdemeanours under new proposals by Labour.

The shadow home secretary, Yvette Cooper, will on Monday unveil a strategy to tackle the UK’s soaring rise in antisemitism, Islamophobia, homophobia and abuse of people with disabilities. The package includes making homophobic and disability hate crimes an aggravated criminal offence, ensuring that police treat such offences in the same way as racist hate crimes.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... homophobia

Labour plans blacklist to curb rising hate crime in U.K.

People convicted of homophobic, transgender or disability hate crime would be put on a “blacklist” to warn future employers of past misdemeanours under new proposals by Labour.

The shadow home secretary, Yvette Cooper, will on Monday unveil a strategy to tackle the UK’s soaring rise in antisemitism, Islamophobia, homophobia and abuse of people with disabilities. The package includes making homophobic and disability hate crimes an aggravated criminal offence, ensuring that police treat such offences in the same way as racist hate crimes.
I am almost tempted to go and read that, the comments BTL must be very revealing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@TGS

They are.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

:lol!:
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Those who don't read and those who think that their life is an impossible burden because they can no longer scream n****r, j****y, P**i and p*****h in the street are out in force.

Edited to remove a superfulous *
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hunting ban could only apply in England under Welsh devolution plan
The change could see hunting with packs of dogs introduced in Wales in a similar model to Scotland, where packs can be used to flush out foxes before they are humanely put down. Hunting with dogs is legal in Northern Ireland, which would leave England as the sole redoubt for the hunting ban

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -plan.html
The right to legalise hunting in some form could be one of the measures devolved to Wales as part of a new devolution settlement later this month.
The idea, which is backed by Welsh secretary Stephen Crabb as long as it has cross-party support, is supported by Plaid Cyrmu, local farmers and hunting campaigners, as well as some Tory MPs.
Currently the Hunting Act 2004 restricts hunting to no more than two dogs in England and Wales, to flush out foxes after which they have to be shot.
But the change could see hunting with packs of dogs introduced in Wales in a similar model to Scotland, where packs can be used to flush out foxes before they are humanely put down.
There you go - for anyone still in any doubt about the seriously feudal wildlife bashing tendency in Plaid .... who like to present themselves as environmentally friendly and progressive. They are anything but ...

I am now sending this clipping to my friends in West Wales Animal Aid who are Plaid and still don't want to believe that their party supports such cruel practices.