Monday 9th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Monday 9th February 2015

Post by pk1 »

citizenJA wrote:
Asked on Sky News whether Balls should explain what he knew about the Swiss accounts, Clegg said: “I think it would be great if Ed Balls, or indeed [Labour leader] Ed Miliband, for once were just to get up and admit that they let the banks run riot on their watch.

“Ed Balls went on a prawn cocktail charm offensive to suck up to the banks and they now have the brass neck to somehow constantly accuse this government of not doing enough when we’ve done considerably more to straighten out the banks than Labour ever did.”

A source close to Balls said: “The information was first given to the government in 2010, so of course he was not aware of it. This is transparent and desperate stuff by the Tories to distract attention from this government’s appointment of the chairman of HSBC as a Tory minister eight months after they were given this information and the fact just one of 1,100 individuals has since been prosecuted.”
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... hsbc-files

Did someone mention a brass nick.
Somebody should be asking Clegg & co if they still think Cable's approval of Greens' appointment as Trade minister to the coalition govt is a good thing.
Vincent Cable, the business secretary, was not involved in the recruitment of Green, which was led by No 10, but he was said today to be pleased with the decision, believing Green to have come through the financial crisis with credit. He has spoken publicly about the need for the banking sector to operate on a more ethical basis and take corporate responsibility more seriously.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... e-minister" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:Hello Campers!

As we all know, thanks to OGRFG and Gidiot, we have recovered from The Great Recession caused by Labour.

As we are all doing so fantastically well, here are some numbers to prove it.

Unemployed - 1,958,000
ZHCs - 1,400,000
New PT jobs - 1,319,000
New Temp jobs - 575,000
Pay below NMW - 250,000
Workfare/training - 120,000
JSA sanctions since 2010 - 3M-plus

This is why private landlords have benefited from the one billion a year increase in the HB/LHA spend since 2010.
This is why our tax/NI take is so low, and social security spending is so high despite so many being denied help.
This is why there is no recovery for anyone at the lower end of the income distribution.
This is why children living in poverty has risen to more than 3 million.
This is why we have 750,000 18-24's out of work and/or training.

Bedroom tax- 1,500 larger homes standing empty and LAs left with a £20 Million rent deficit.
ESA/WCAs - 4.8 Million WCAs, same number claiming now as in 2010.
ESA/IB - 1.5 Million judged fit for work, 27.000/0.5% actually found work.
ESA - 700,000 still waiting for their first WCA.

And the worst of all - PIP claimants who are terminally ill were not re-assessed from April 2013 to January 2014.
Since January 2014, exactly 100 claims per month from dying people have been re-assessed. 100, no more, no less.
30% of Macmillan benefits advisers know of someone who died waiting for their first PIP assessment.
Of a total of 592,900 registrations for PIP, 76,300 have already had a re-assessment while 280,000 wait for their first.

This is recovery. This is the long term economic plan. This is what we will get much more of if the Tories get into office again.
Did you forget Self Employed. Huge numbers there and most of them only earning pennies.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tuesday 7 September 2010

"Stephen Green, the chairman of HSBC, will step down from the bank to take up the role of trade minister in the coalition government.

Green's departure, which was announced today, ends a 28-year career at the bank. With Barclays also today naming a new chief executive, Bob Diamond, the move heralds a major shake-up at the top of British banking.

David Cameron said he was delighted to welcome Green to the "vital role" of trade minister. "With Stephen's experience and expertise, I know he will make an invaluable contribution towards this crucial agenda, helping to drive strong economic growth in the UK," the prime minister said."

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... e-minister" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh jesus christ almighty
What's a nation's people got to do to get some justice around here?!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:Patrick Wintour
‏@patrickwintour

Labour has asked Treasury to make a Commons statement with regard to HSBC. George Osborne on way to Turkey for G20 meeting.

https://twitter.com/patrickwintour/stat ... 4819341312

http://www.theguardian.com/news/live/20 ... a0fc1035e5
I'm wondering why the kerfuffle about HSBC now? It's not new. Two years ago? the news broke that they'd been laundering money. I was with them, and immediately changed banks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

David Cameron said he was delighted to welcome Green to the "vital role" of trade minister. "With Stephen's experience and expertise, I know he will make an invaluable contribution towards this crucial agenda, helping to drive strong economic growth in the UK," the prime minister said."
Did you guys read this? Put CallMe's nose in it & keep it there!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
‏@patrickwintour

Labour has asked Treasury to make a Commons statement with regard to HSBC. George Osborne on way to Turkey for G20 meeting.

I'm wondering why the kerfuffle about HSBC now? It's not new. Two years ago? the news broke that they'd been laundering money. I was with them, and immediately changed banks.
I don't know. I'm trying to find out.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

New Statesman retweeted
The Staggers ‏@TheStaggers 11 mins11 minutes ago
Green party deputy leaders contradict Caroline Lucas: Citizens’ Income will be in the manifesto, reports @ashcowburn http://bit.ly/1KzYJWM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

David Cameron 2006 ;

David Cameron, speech entitled "The new global economy" in June 22, 2006:
QuoteThe City is a great example of using our advantages.The City of London is a great UK success story. It’s the biggest international financial centre on earth.
The London foreign exchange market is the largest in the world, with an average daily turnover of $504 billion. That’s more than New York and Tokyo combined.
Far from being based on the old school tie, it is supremely meritocratic. It is also highly innovative. You cannot simply set in stone a tax or regulatory regime for the City as it is today because it’s always changing, adapting and mutating.
The lessons from the City are clear. Low tax. Low regulation. Meritocracy. Openness. Innovation. These are the keys to success.

The (Labour) government is wedded to the impulse to over-regulate…While I see a much greater role for exhortation and leadership.
Many on the left-of-centre still seek to solve problems through more taxes, more laws and more regulations…But we, on the centre-right, prefer to step out of the way of business.
One of the greatest services that government can give to the economy is to know when to stand clear.

David Cameron 2007 ;

'When I studied economics, 20 years ago, arguments raged about the most basic principles of how to run the economy [and]...there was a vast gulf between left and right as to how this could best be achieved. The left advocated more intervention and government ownership. Those on the right argued for monetary discipline and free enterprise.
'That debate is now settled. Over the past 15 years, governments across the world have put into practice the principles of monetary discipline and free enterprise. The result? A vast increase in global wealth. The world economy more stable than for a generation.
I'm proud that this is one of the few countries in the world where all serious candidates for high office support the principles of free trade and monetary discipline

David Cameron 2008 ;

We need to avoid a rush to judgement and an instant rewriting of all the regulatory rules. Indeed, the worst response to the current crisis would be a knee-jerk response and proscriptive over-regulation.
The UK has a long history of benefiting from over-regulation elsewhere from the emergence of the Eurodollar market in the 1960s thanks to US tax policy to the effects of the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation in recent years
And let us not, in responding to the current crisis, sow the seeds of the next one.
..As a free-marketeer by conviction, it will not surprise you to hear me say that a significant part of Labour’s economic failure has been the excessive bureaucratic interventionism of the past decade too much tax, too much regulation, too little understanding of what our businesses need to compete in the modern world
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Biggest shock that came to me out of Cameron's guff is his claim to have studied economics :o
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Please excuse me, friends, if my posts this afternoon are dull & look as though old news is being regurgitated. It is, apparently, news we've known about for some time. The G posted a splashy news spread on HSBC & illegal financial machinations before midnight yesterday.

I'm terrified if this brouhaha is meant to be cover for some other, larger, nefarious news not well reported.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:@Ephemerhid -to nearest 100.
True - so it's not as odd as I thought - but it's still odd.
No reassessments at all for terminally ill people for 10 months.
Then however many every month thereafter.

I'm going to try to find out exactly how many.

Of course, it should be zero - if a person is judged terminally ill, even if they have the expectation that their condition will take a year or two to kill them, if they need PIP to help with care or mobility they should get it.
The chances that a condition diagnosed as terminal will improve to the extent that help with care or mobility is no longer needed are extremely low if they exists at all. Dying people shouldn't be reassessed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OhSo - I didn't "forget" the self-employed, my list was just an illustration....
...........but if you want to know, the figure is an additional 600,000 self-employed individuals since 2010.
Also, some of the PT and ZHC jobs are S/E so the figures overlap in places.

What bothers me a lot is the fact that we still have 5 million or so people claiming out-of-work benefits just as we did in 2010 - and that's even when you include all the sanctioned people, the people hidden away on schemes and programmes, and the sick people taken off benefits then claiming again at the lower rates and having to wait for a year or more for the first WCA.

In 2010 there were 650,000 working people claiming on average £80PW in HB/LHA; by 2014 there were more than a million working people claiming on average £96PW. A lot of those are self-employed.

It's not a "recovery" any sane person would recognise.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Toby Latimer wrote:Biggest shock that came to me out of Cameron's guff is his claim to have studied economics :o
It's insulting to be misruled by an idiot, you know? It's bad enough to suffer the consequences of wretched governance. We don't even get the dignity of betrayal by mad genius.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:

Of course, it should be zero - if a person is judged terminally ill, even if they have the expectation that their condition will take a year or two to kill them, if they need PIP to help with care or mobility they should get it.
The chances that a condition diagnosed as terminal will improve to the extent that help with care or mobility is no longer needed are extremely low if they exists at all. Dying people shouldn't be reassessed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OhSo - I didn't "forget" the self-employed, my list was just an illustration....
...........but if you want to know, the figure is an additional 600,000 self-employed individuals since 2010.

What bothers me a lot is the fact that we still have 5 million or so people claiming out-of-work benefits just as we did in 2010 - and that's even when you include all the sanctioned people, the people hidden away on schemes and programmes, and the sick people taken off benefits then claiming again at the lower rates and having to wait for a year or more for the first WCA.

In 2010 there were 650,000 working people claiming on average £80PW in HB/LHA; by 2014 there were more than a million working people claiming on average £96PW. A lot of those are self-employed.

Ah. Of course. What do you want to bet HSBC was hauled out because of these egregious human rights violations? Ephemerid, thank you for the work you do, my friend.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The timeline on this here shenanigans is baffling. No one can say the Opposition weren't on the ball, given the record.
22 July 2012

"Trade minister Lord Green is under intense scrutiny after it emerged that HSBC continued to operate hundreds of accounts with suspected links to Mexican drug cartels, even after Green and fellow executives were told by regulators that HSBC was one of the worst banks for money laundering.

The revelations, contained in a US Senate report, raise further questions about Green's stewardship of the bank and come as he prepares to play an important role at the Olympics by using the Games to secure contracts for British business.

Green, chief executive of HSBC between 2003 and 2006 and executive chairman from 2006 to 2010, has declined to comment on the report.

Last night Labour shadow Treasury minister, Chris Leslie, wrote to Green, who is in the running to become the next governor of the Bank of England, demanding to know when he became aware of the problems raised in the report and the steps he took to remedy them."
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... drugs-cash
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Very good...

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-38 ... NjF9S40-g0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Very good...

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-38 ... NjF9S40-g0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sanity, thank you!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

ohsocynical wrote:
‏@patrickwintour

Why now? I think the simple/simplistic answer is, because the BBC have a Panorama programme about it ready. They love splashing their documentaries as news items.
But then it's logical to ask, why now for the programme. :?:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 09 Feb, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:Please excuse me, friends, if my posts this afternoon are dull & look as though old news is being regurgitated. It is, apparently, news we've known about for some time. The G posted a splashy news spread on HSBC & illegal financial machinations before midnight yesterday.

I'm terrified if this brouhaha is meant to be cover for some other, larger, nefarious news not well reported.
That's just what crossed my mind...Why are they bringing it up now? If I remember there were drug cartels involved. All sorts of dirty money.

Edited to add as an afterthought: unless they're finally going to start to air all Daves and the Cons dirty deeds? Doubt it though.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Please excuse me, friends, if my posts this afternoon are dull & look as though old news is being regurgitated. It is, apparently, news we've known about for some time. The G posted a splashy news spread on HSBC & illegal financial machinations before midnight yesterday.

That's just what crossed my mind...Why are they bringing it up now? If I remember there were drug cartels involved. All sorts of dirty money.

Edited to add as an afterthought: unless they're finally going to start to air all Daves and the Cons dirty deeds? Doubt it though.
I think it's the allegation that they're still doing it that's prompted the programme.
But Panorama has spoken to a whistleblower who said there were still problems with tax dodging at HSBC private bank when she worked there in 2013.

Sue Shelley was the private bank's head of compliance in Luxembourg. She said HSBC did not keep its promise to change. "I think the verbal messages were great but they weren't put into practice and that disturbed me greatly," she said.
It was her job to make sure HSBC followed the rules, but she said she was sacked after raising concerns. She has since won a tribunal hearing for unfair dismissal.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31248913
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 09 Feb, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:

Thanks Ephie. I can't remember where I saw the figures on the SE. It was huge and a massive percentage of them were earning nowhere near enough to live on.

IDS and his magic mirrors trick. Now you see them. Now you don't.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

I think it's the allegation that they're still doing it that's prompted the programme.
But Panorama has spoken to a whistleblower who said there were still problems with tax dodging at HSBC private bank when she worked there in 2013.

Sue Shelley was the private bank's head of compliance in Luxembourg. She said HSBC did not keep its promise to change. "I think the verbal messages were great but they weren't put into practice and that disturbed me greatly," she said.
It was her job to make sure HSBC followed the rules, but she said she was sacked after raising concerns. She has since won a tribunal hearing for unfair dismissal.
When the news about their dirty dealings first broke, I opened an account with another bank and went to my local branch of HSBC to close my account with them. When asked why, it gave me the greatest pleasure to say: I don't want to be associated in anyway with crooks.
They evidently didn't listen to me. :roll:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sorry to be the bearer and all that ...
Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 4m 4 minutes ago
Today's 3% lead in Ashcroft national poll follows 2 weeks of level-pegging.

Ashcroft National Poll, 6-8 Feb: CON 34%, LAB 31%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 14%, GRN 6%
Working on the wild side.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

All media outlets will have had to get the ok to run with it by their legal teams. Not one of them would dare to do without knowing they were 'bomb proof' when up against uber-wealthy bank/ers.

It's easy to make allegations but quite another to bring a case that can withstand the scrutiny of the defendants legal teams.

The desire of the uber-wealthy is to keep their own money secret from governments that will tax the money & they can employ extremely sophisticated legal teams in the event they have to face a team of barristers & a jury.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Sorry to be the bearer and all that ...

No point worrying about that single poll when all others show Labour ahead, even if it is only a single point. Ashcroft's polls are by far the more erratic than others.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ohsocynical wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: That's just what crossed my mind...Why are they bringing it up now? If I remember there were drug cartels involved. All sorts of dirty money.

When the news about their dirty dealings first broke, I opened an account with another bank and went to my local branch of HSBC to close my account with them. When asked why, it gave me the greatest pleasure to say: I don't want to be associated in anyway with crooks.
They evidently didn't listen to me. :roll:
You found an honest bank? :)

Thinking through the timetable, Ms Shelley was still employed in 2013, then went through a dismissal procedure and a tribunal. That would probably account for at least a few months. When she then approached the BBC they would presumably set up an investigation to gather corroborative evidence before putting a programme together. Add on the time for BBC lawyers to crawl over it all and there doesn't seem to be anything particularly odd about the timing of the programme.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

On the self-employed - they will suffer if they claim Universal Credit.

All means-tested benefits have an income "ceiling", ie. if you have a certain income or a certain level of savings you cannot claim benefit.

What none of the current/older means-tested benefits have is an income "floor" - UC for self-employed people has an income floor.

Claimants must prove that their self-employment is "organised, developed, and carried out regularly in expectation of profit"; and "It must be your main form of employment". If you cannot demonstrate all this, you will have to look for other work. While working at your self-employment.

The guidance says this - "Universal Credit includes a 'minimum income floor' if you are gainfully self-employed. This is an assumed level of earnings that DWP will use to calculate your payment if your earnings are BELOW that level" and "The level will be set at an amount consistent with the work and earnings expectations of others in similar circumstances".
Then it says - "If there are no limitations on the number of hours you can work, the minimum income floor is likely to be the equivalent of you working 35 hours a week at the National minimum Wage for your age group" and "Your UC payment will reflect this assumed level of earnings and so will be less than you would receive if you were unemployed or only working a few hours a week".

There are hundreds of thousands of people who are self-employed but not earning enough to live on. That's why they claim in-work benefits like Working and Child Tax Credits and Housing Benefit/LHA. This amounts to tens of billions annually.
As Universal Credit combines the existing in-work benefits, any UC claim will include current provision as above - but under UC, few self-employed people will be able to claim them as they do now, ie. calculated on what they actually earn.
They will be required to prove that their work is earning sufficient to be considered adequate, and if it isn't, any claim they make will be subject to all the usual jobsearch conditions plus they might have to stop trading as a business.

I've been trying to work out how this works using the various online benefit calculators - and I can't. It seems that the income floor isn't accounted for in these online tools (which are usually brilliant).
You can do calculations based on incomes, but they all assume that the calculation starts from zero, when for self-employed people it will start from whatever the DWP decides the minimum income floor is.

I thought I understood all this, but I am flummoxed by the minimum income floor. If the guidance is correct, my assumption is that DWP will assume that your earnings are already £225PW (even if they're not) BEFORE they start the calculations.
If that's right, then very few people who are currently self-employed and surviving on in-work benefits will get much UC - and if they don't earn "enough" (whatever the clerk deems is enough) they will have to cease trading and look for work.
If all that is correct, then the unemployment figures will go through the roof when all the people doing bits and bobs on tax credits have to stop; or they'll just get nothing and poverty will get worse. It makes no sense to me.

If anyone knows more or different, please post it here! Thanks.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Lord Ashcroft sure does like to spin the figures he gets from his poll in his summary.

'On preference of Prime Minister, opinion is largely unchanged since I last asked the question in November. Nearly six in ten said either that they were satisfied with the job David Cameron is doing as PM (30%) or that they were dissatisfied but would rather have him as PM than Ed Miliband (29%). Only just over a quarter (27%), including 69% of Labour voters, said they were dissatisfied with Cameron and would rather see Miliband in Number Ten.'
http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/02/as ... 4-green-6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have a look at the question 5, table 6.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@ephie

Can't claim to be expert in UC - but what you have outlined re the car crash coming re self employment and UC is pretty much my understanding.

It is a disaster in waiting. We have to hope Reeves - or whoever - cottons on quick to this if Labour are in power post May. The review of UC should turn up a lot of these disasters in waiting. I think the arbitrary assumption that all self employed people are earning the minimum wage will have to be jettisoned ... but more probably UC itself as set out by IDS will be found unworkable by a thorough review.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I asked Patrick Wintour for a link to the statement issued by Stefano Pessina in which he rowed back from comments made on the Telegraph splash. PW said it was by email & then forwarded it to me:
Date: 6 February 2015 at 13:07
Subject: Stefano Pessina: Background Information - FYI
To: Amanda Stellato

Following interest this week in the political climate for business in the UK, we wanted to draw your attention to some key points specifically relating to Stefano Pessina, which we hope will provide some further clarity regarding his position within this debate.

On the record statement from Walgreens Boots Alliance:

"The comments made by Stefano Pessina about the UK were a small part of a broader conversation with The Sunday Telegraph regarding the economic landscape across Europe, and they have been completely taken out of context. As a businessman, international entrepreneur and investor, he takes a natural interest in the evolution of the overall environment in countries where he leads businesses. Stefano Pessina is of course not campaigning for or against anyone or any political party. Indeed, he has held equally good relationships with previous governments, as well as the current one."

For background reference:

· Stefano Pessina has been living in Monaco for 30 years and has Monegasque citizenship; he has never been domiciled in the UK.

· Mr Pessina has remained highly supportive of the UK since 1997, when Alliance Santé Group merged with UK business UniChem to form Alliance UniChem (of which he was CEO until 2004, before taking up the role of Executive Deputy Chairman) and later through the creation of Alliance Boots.

· All the businesses under his leadership have increasingly contributed to the creation of long term value for the UK economy in the form of job creation, investment in store infrastructure, contract manufacturing and recently, the Nottingham Enterprise Zone.

· Stefano Pessina has focused his business life on growing the companies he leads and further developing the healthcare industry.

· Over the last 8 years and under his leadership, the former Alliance Boots contributed over £1.2 billion to its pension funds, and invested a similar amount in transforming Boots stores across the UK.

· The total amount of tax paid in the UK by Alliance Boots, including business rates, national insurance and corporation tax, was around £550 million in 2013/14.

· A PwC tax survey in 2014 demonstrated the significant tax contribution paid by large companies in the UK, including Alliance Boots, which it ranked the 19th highest largest among the 103 companies surveyed.

· Stefano Pessina is Executive Vice Chairman and Acting Chief Executive Officer of Walgreens Boots Alliance.

· Walgreens Boots Alliance, the first global pharmacy-led health and wellbeing enterprise, was created on 31 December 2014 following the merger between Alliance Boots and Walgreens.

· Walgreens Boots Alliance is listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market and domiciled in the USA. The Boots head office remains in Nottingham, where the Company continues to employ around 8,000 people.

· The creation of Walgreens Boots Alliance will provide benefits to all stakeholders, including those 70,000 employees in the UK, as well as patients and customers.

Please do get in touch if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,
Amanda
Last edited by pk1 on Mon 09 Feb, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I don't know whether HSBC is being used to cover this up, but in any case for our "welfare" experts there a veritable gold mine of data published today

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ables-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We noted the other day IDS's mealy mouthed speech where he tried to cover up the fact that, despite everything, the amount spent on benefits continues to increase.

Here are the out-turns and forecasts, total in bold
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 16.32.28.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 16.32.28.png (21.79 KiB) Viewed 12194 times
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

David Gauke is wriggling like an eel in the House - and not answering the questions.

"Would the minister agree...." etc. and all the Tories are saying that this government has raised billions more in tax and Labour were rubbish etc.

And now......benefits uprating!

This year's increases for the sick and disabled and their carers are -
Carers Allowance - £0.75p
DLA - Care: High, £1.00p; Med, £0.65p; Low, £0.25p.
DLA - Mobility: Higher, £0.70p; Lower, £0.25p.
ESA - Basic - £0.60p; WRAG, £0.30p; Support, £0.45p.

ESA basic rate, had it been uprated at the advertised 1.2% should have gone up by £0.73p. It hasn't.
The WRAG and Support premiums have gone up by more than 1.2%.
When you add the basic and the other premiums, WRAG and SG claimants are getting about 1.2%.
But - all new claimants for ESA are getting less than 1% and we know that 700,000 people are stuck on basic when they shouldn't be.

The government makes much of it's "above inflation" benefit uprating, but we know that CPI is not reflective of the costs of basic needs.
If DWP were actually paying me the money I am entitled to, this uprating would enrich me by £1.05p.
If DWP were actually paying me the money I am entitled to, I wouldn't spend it all at once.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:@ephie

Can't claim to be expert in UC - but what you have outlined re the car crash coming re self employment and UC is pretty much my understanding.

It is a disaster in waiting. We have to hope Reeves - or whoever - cottons on quick to this if Labour are in power post May. The review of UC should turn up a lot of these disasters in waiting. I think the arbitrary assumption that all self employed people are earning the minimum wage will have to be jettisoned ... but more probably UC itself as set out by IDS will be found unworkable by a thorough review.
UC is, in principle, a good idea; reducing the complexity of the social security system and building in the flexibility to deal with people's rapidly changing job/income situation makes a lot of sense. But something like that was going to take a lot of forward planning and preparation, which Odious' back of the fag packet approach patently failed to do; I've always read Reeves response to UC (and she has been pretty consistent since she took up this role) as saying they will review UC and of what has been done possesses any merit they will build on it, if not it will be binned - I don't think either she or and of us expect it to survive past that review.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote: "Would the minister agree...." etc. and all the Tories are saying that this government has raised billions more in tax and Labour were rubbish etc.
He is right, the Coalition have raised more in taxes than Labour did; the inconvenient fly in his ointment is that they have seen revenue in the form of income tax & NI fall and a big hike in the amount they get from VAT receipts, whicj kinda suggests that Labour more than a few things right - having policies that kept people working, and minimising the impact of pernicious regressive things like VAt which hurt lower earners disproportionately. No wonder George buggered off abroad, he must have seen this one coming & realised that no amount of chemical support would get him through it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... lletin.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Sorry to be the bearer and all that ...

No point worrying about that single poll when all others show Labour ahead, even if it is only a single point. Ashcroft's polls are by far the more erratic than others.
Thought I saw somewhere today that it was weighted on turnout.
If so, Tories are known for getting their voters out on the day.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I don't know whether HSBC is being used to cover this up, but in any case for our "welfare" experts there a veritable gold mine of data published today

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ables-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We noted the other day IDS's mealy mouthed speech where he tried to cover up the fact that, despite everything, the amount spent on benefits continues to increase.

Thanks for this, Paul.

IDS is spending even more than we thought, then; and certainly more than forecast.

Man's a idiot.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I don't know whether HSBC is being used to cover this up, but in any case for our "welfare" experts there a veritable gold mine of data published today

Thanks for this, Paul.

IDS is spending even more than we thought, then; and certainly more than forecast.

Man's a idiot.
An idiot? That would suggest he has arrived at this point by accident not by design, which is not (completely) true; I think a selection of good, old fashioned Anglo Saxon four letter nouns would be more fitting.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 11m11 minutes ago
Gauke told MPs French just given HMRC power to share Swiss files with prosecuting bodies. Earlier he said CPS lacked corroborative evidence.
I get a sense that Gauke hasn't handled this particularly well.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

How do current government expect to survive this? It's all there, the Housing Benefits being paid to private landlords, I've just downloaded & scanned a few of the tables from that page currently posted for public consumption today...all of this is an absolute contradiction to millions of jobs created...all of it is black & white along with ONS government tax receipt data...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 8m 8 minutes ago
I'm hearing that there's another Scottish poll coming out overnight. Surprised I've not seen any Tweets yet about it.
Is this another release of Ashcroft polling in Scotland? If it is - call me cynical but it seems very well timed to take the heat away from the government's embarrassment over HSBC / Green and their bad call re the 'anti business' stuff.

(A second 'Green' that hasn't done much good for the Tory image ... the name Green is a bit of a liability for them.)
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

ohsocynical wrote:
‏@patrickwintour

Ironically the best bank in the high street for pleasant and helpful staff.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

pk1 wrote:I asked Patrick Wintour for a link to the statement issued by Stefano Pessina in which he rowed back from comments made on the Telegraph splash. PW said it was by email & then forwarded it to me:
You might want to edit out those email addresses.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

ohsocynical wrote:
I read a while back that when Murdoch first came over here, he was humiliated by Thatchers government, so I can understand him wanting control of them. Then he helped her break the print unions. It must give him the greatest satisfaction to gain control over those who looked down their noses at him and still would if he had less money.

In the States he is competing with a powerful level of right wing string pullers who with George Bush, honed getting dumb politicians elected to a fine art. He seems to have wiggled his way out of prosecution which is easily done over there if you have the right contacts.

If you want to control the head man they must be weak, thick as two short planks, and malleable which inevitably means they're quickly found out.

I wonder if his judgement goes haywire when he's around 'old' powerful families? It happens.
I thought it was earlier than that - I've tried to find (unsuccessfully) some sort of reference - IIRC, Gerald Kaufman had a piece in his biography about Uncle Rupe being humiliated by some toffs in a debate at Oxford University, where he vowed to get his own back....on the elite....this from someone who inherited a newspaper and attended Oxford...the Print Unions, I believe(TM), was an opportunity to join the Grantham Witch in viciously attacking worker representation to drive divisions deep into the heart of the Post-War consensus (and line his own pockets, natch) - something he continued through the miners strike and onwards. I'm not so sure about the States either - there was a meeting at the Whitehouse with Ray-Guns, Uncle Rupe and Thatchers 'money-man', Goldsmith, where the presentation focused on a 'successor generation' - putting him at the heart of the US elite - and we are enduring that generation of no-mark incompetence now - I'm also fairly sure, given Rupes propensity for underhand sh*ttiness and the Roger Ailes/Fox 'Brain Room' most politicians (anywhere, really) would understand how foolhardy it would be to go 'against the grain'.

WRT families - it looks to me as though the more they try to keep everything together, the more it falls apart (once again, I live in...you know the rest!)
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

UC is, in principle, a good idea; reducing the complexity of the social security system and building in the flexibility to deal with people's rapidly changing job/income situation makes a lot of sense. But something like that was going to take a lot of forward planning and preparation, which Odious' back of the fag packet approach patently failed to do; I've always read Reeves response to UC (and she has been pretty consistent since she took up this role) as saying they will review UC and of what has been done possesses any merit they will build on it, if not it will be binned - I don't think either she or and of us expect it to survive past that review.

It would have been a good idea if it did what it claimed to do - viz, simplify the system.

But it doesn't - it's incredibly complicated and relies on RTI to make it work for anyone who does any work at all.
RTI works OK for most who use it now, apart from problems with tax coding errors.

Every time a claimant's income changes, their entitlement to UC will change too, and unless that change can be calculated in the RTI system and include earnings disregards and housing payment elements, it won't work.
HMRC have expressed concern that, although there is some new IT investment at the service user's end, there hasn't been enough back office investment to keep up - according to Show, people will merrily put in their claims in RTI but the back-up simply isn't there for the sort of numbers involved. I don't know how true or accurate that is!

The various elements of UC regarding work are quite complicated, but I've done some more calculations.
A cab driver with a non-working wife and 2 school-age children, living where I do in a 2-bed council house, earning £150 a week, is currently entitled to: WTC/CTC worth £1,500; HB worth about £4,000; and pays no council tax (he would in England) worth £1,000.
His package of in-work benefits is worth £6,500. His disposable income is £9,300 - pay plus tax credits.
Under UC, all that changes. The minimum income floor applies - so he is assumed to be earning £225 PW even though he actually earns £75PW less. This affects his UC entitlement as all the elements under the UC umbrella are means-tested and the system is assuming he has more income than he actually has. He will lose about £3,000PA overall, so his disposable income drops.
If he doesn't earn more within the timescale set by his adviser, he will have to look for other work; if his cab-driving is deemed not satisfactory he will have to stop being self-employed - if he does that, he'll have less income but will get MORE benefits.
If he becomes unemployed because DWP won't let him be self-employed, he will get a benefits package worth £12,800PA.

So if you work as a self-employed person on less than the equivalent of 35 hours at NMW, you will lose out under UC.
If you cannot increase your earnings, however many hours you work, you will have to stop if you want to claim UC.
You will be unemployed, with less cash for your family, but you will be costing the taxpayer more in benefit overall.
Now, if you are my cab driver, you work, earn, and get top-ups costing £6,500 or so.
Under UC, if you keep working, you will lose a third of your disposable income but the cost is about the same.
If the DWP makes you stop, you will not earn anything and you will cost the taxpayer double what you did before.

If that isn't a recipe for a black market economy I don't know what is.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

diGriz wrote:
pk1 wrote:I asked Patrick Wintour for a link to the statement issued by Stefano Pessina in which he rowed back from comments made on the Telegraph splash. PW said it was by email & then forwarded it to me:
You might want to edit out those email addresses.
Whoops ! Thanks, done :)
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

diGriz wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
‏@patrickwintour

Ironically the best bank in the high street for pleasant and helpful staff.
Certainly more helpful than Barclays who have got rid of all of their counter staff and turned their city centre branch into little more than a building to house cash machines.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 1m1 minute ago
Not all in this together when benefits cheats are jailed but tax evaders with HSBC Swiss accounts are given a free pass
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Inquiry to be set up into the Lynette White murder police corruption trial
Mrs May is to appoint a QC to look into why the prosecution abandoned the case against a dozen former South Wales police officers charged with perverting the course of justice in the Lynette White murder investigation 27 years ago.

Documents exclusively obtained by Channel 4 News reveal the investigation will cover all questions around resources, performance and conduct of both the police and the Crown Prosecution Service.
http://www.channel4.com/news/lynette-wh ... heresa-may" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

It would have been a good idea if it did what it claimed to do - viz, simplify the system.

But it doesn't - it's incredibly complicated and relies on RTI to make it work for anyone who does any work at all.
RTI works OK for most who use it now, apart from problems with tax coding errors.

Every time a claimant's income changes, their entitlement to UC will change too, and unless that change can be calculated in the RTI system and include earnings disregards and housing payment elements, it won't work.
HMRC have expressed concern that, although there is some new IT investment at the service user's end, there hasn't been enough back office investment to keep up - according to Show, people will merrily put in their claims in RTI but the back-up simply isn't there for the sort of numbers involved. I don't know how true or accurate that is!

The various elements of UC regarding work are quite complicated, but I've done some more calculations.
A cab driver with a non-working wife and 2 school-age children, living where I do in a 2-bed council house, earning £150 a week, is currently entitled to: WTC/CTC worth £1,500; HB worth about £4,000; and pays no council tax (he would in England) worth £1,000.
His package of in-work benefits is worth £6,500. His disposable income is £9,300 - pay plus tax credits.
Under UC, all that changes. The minimum income floor applies - so he is assumed to be earning £225 PW even though he actually earns £75PW less. This affects his UC entitlement as all the elements under the UC umbrella are means-tested and the system is assuming he has more income than he actually has. He will lose about £3,000PA overall, so his disposable income drops.
If he doesn't earn more within the timescale set by his adviser, he will have to look for other work; if his cab-driving is deemed not satisfactory he will have to stop being self-employed - if he does that, he'll have less income but will get MORE benefits.
If he becomes unemployed because DWP won't let him be self-employed, he will get a benefits package worth £12,800PA.

So if you work as a self-employed person on less than the equivalent of 35 hours at NMW, you will lose out under UC.
If you cannot increase your earnings, however many hours you work, you will have to stop if you want to claim UC.
You will be unemployed, with less cash for your family, but you will be costing the taxpayer more in benefit overall.
Now, if you are my cab driver, you work, earn, and get top-ups costing £6,500 or so.
Under UC, if you keep working, you will lose a third of your disposable income but the cost is about the same.
If the DWP makes you stop, you will not earn anything and you will cost the taxpayer double what you did before.

If that isn't a recipe for a black market economy I don't know what is.
They had a chance to do something progressive, radical and worthwhile. But, as you plainly show, trying to do that n the fly was a recipe for disaster.