Tuesday 10th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Tuesday 10th February 2015

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

So the SNP lead heavily falls back as the number of definite voters recedes. Murphy hasn't eliminated a 28% gap already so 'it's bad news for Labour'. Spinning of the finest quality.
SNP set to double its vote in general election, poll finds

http://gu.com/p/45kvm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Re: Tuesday 10th February 2015

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Morning folks,
It seems you're all wrong, and Universal Credit is going swimmingly.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... r-way.html

Oh, while you're over at the Telegraph, see if you can find any mention of the HSBC a tax avoidance scheme. I think they are playing a tax dodgers version of Where's Wally?

Edited to introduce punctuation.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

10959542.jpg
10959542.jpg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 16603 times
Last edited by Toby Latimer on Tue 10 Feb, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

BuzzFeed have managed to get a copy of the brochure from last nights secretive £15.000 grand a seat Tory fundraising auction .This is not satire. Image

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/cons ... r-feb-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

@Toby Latimer

That has to be a wind up - it can't be real...can it? Pay money for a copy of the 2015 Manifesto? Tea wiv Bozzer? Run wiv 'little Nicky'...pay money? Real money?

My gabber is so flasted I forgot to say morning all :o
Last edited by Lonewolfie on Tue 10 Feb, 2015 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

55DegreesNorth wrote:I think they are playing a tax dodgers version of Where's Wally?
A tricky game that, so many wallies to choose from.

Morning all.
Attachments
Two-Wallies.jpg
Two-Wallies.jpg (21.5 KiB) Viewed 16624 times
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

Thank you for the photos Toby.

Surely I cannot be the only one thinking that they would have to pay me to do any of those auction items.

It is making me feel quite sick trying to think of which one I would hate the most. So I will have to stop.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Lonewolfie wrote:@Toby Latimer

That has to be a wind up - it can't be real...can it? Pay money for a copy of the 2015 Manifesto? Tea wiv Bozzer? Run wiv 'little Nicky'...pay money? Real money?
What used to be our money!! :fire:
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:@Toby Latimer

What used to be our money!! :fire:
Well we don't know for definite it was 'our' money - they probably write out HSBC cheques from a branch in Switzerland...oh wait...

...and as a little balance, a nice story...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shane-bur ... 47638.html

Blimey - I think I'm going to have to stop posting....either I've lost the ability to write or the ability to read overnight...kin editing again!
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

So the SNP lead heavily falls back as the number of definite voters recedes. Murphy hasn't eliminated a 28% gap already so 'it's bad news for Labour'. Spinning of the finest quality.

If this is the standard of candidate the SNP is putting forward, they must be modelling themselves on UKIP.
Politics student Mhairi Black - who will fight one of Scotland’s highest profile seats at the general election - used Twitter to boast of her boozy antics and to spout abuse about Celtic fans.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... ey-5118483
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

Absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with over-excited push-polling around the Referendum and the 'bigging up' of the SNP by the MSM (that I keep seeing '45rs' claiming are anti-Scotland and Independence, even though their No 1 Cheerleader has a 'very close' relationship with Uncle Rupe)...nope, absolutely nothing at all. I feel Jim Murphy (whatever I might have felt about him before) is coming across as sensible and grown up, which will throw the cat amongst the pigeons - we're starting to see some politicians untroubled by Murkydochia :clap:

Mind you, I'm not so keen on his membership of this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Jackson_Society
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning.

<Shoe shopping with T May>
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Toby Latimer wrote:BuzzFeed have managed to get a copy of the brochure from last nights secretive £15.000 grand a seat Tory fundraising auction .This is not satire.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/cons ... r-feb-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, Toby.
I love not being a Tory.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

citizenJA wrote:Good morning.

<Shoe shopping with T May>
Well you may snigger but I need some new wellies for my allotment. She could help me choose. 'I need summat stylish but butch Tezza; functional but not bloody clodhoppers. And I'm prepared to spend up to a tenner'
Morning all. Big game for my brave boys tonight. I shall be in one of three moods later. :lol:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Headline in the Scotsman: "Scottish Labour cuts SNP poll lead by half".
Same story, headline in the Guardian: "SNP set to double its vote in general election, poll finds"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Given that story that was around last night rubbishing the HSMR methodology and Dr Foster, it was curious to see that story from the weekend with Jeremy Hunt ordering an annual review into hospital mortality....using HSMR.

Actually, I've just seen that they did amend that story for the "1,200 unavoidable deaths" line.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... tal-deaths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This article was amended on 9 February 2015. An earlier version said the Francis report on the care provided by Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust found that at least 1,200 patients died because of poor care. The Francis report did not make that finding. It concluded that it would be unsafe to infer from mortality statistics that there was any particular number of avoidable or unnecessary deaths at the trust.
So was that story on Sunday a pre-emptive strike against what they knew was coming out?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Toby Latimer wrote:Image
Shoe shopping with Theresa May. That's handy, I'm in the market for some new trainers. If she could get herself up to North Shields, she could help me round the outlets at Royal Quays. I can see me in size 11 leopard skin Nikes.
Nicky
Backbencher

Post by Nicky »

That auction catalogue is just bizarre. I'm a bit concerned about Nicky Morgan's run followed by a 'hearty breakfast' - is she going to have a shower before the breakfast? Does the successful bidder get to share the shower with her?
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Yesterday CitizenJA wrote:

Stimulating housing supply - Government initiatives - Commons Library Standard Note
Published 09 December 2014 | Standard notes SN06416

The Government has not set targets for increasing housing supply while the Labour Party has committed to building 200,000 homes a year by 2020. Reviews into housing supply include Government commissioned work led by Natalie Elphicke into the role that local authorities could play in increasing the supply of housing.
The Labour Party commissioned Sir Michael Lyons to conduct a housing review tasked with drawing up “a road map that will set out the changes to housing and planning policies and practice that are required to deliver the new homes and communities we need.” The Lyons Housing Review was published in October 2014.

All in it together....that'll be Natalie Elphicke, wife of...you guessed it -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Elphicke

Someone should tattoo the success of Council Housing (low cost/employment heavy/profitable for LAs etc) onto the inside of their foreheads.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Former Conservative parliamentary candidate for Stourbridge joins UKIP
http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/1 ... oins_UKIP/
Since 2006, Mrs Coad has been a councillor for Langley St Marys ward on Slough Borough Council where she was also leader of the Conservative group. She also stood as a parliamentary candidate for the Tories in Slough in 2001 and 2010.

UKIP is reported to be "delighted" with Mrs Coad’s decision to switch, while the Conservatives have thanked the party stalwart for her contribution and wished her well in her new party.

James Carver, current UKIP parliamentary candidate for Stourbridge, told the News: "I'm obviously delighted with Diana's decision.

"This demonstrates how UKIP is attracting support from across the political spectrum.
This demonstrates something ... but definitely not that.
Working on the wild side.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Nicky wrote:That auction catalogue is just bizarre. I'm a bit concerned about Nicky Morgan's run followed by a 'hearty breakfast' - is she going to have a shower before the breakfast? Does the successful bidder get to share the shower with her?
And can you skip the run and just turn up for breakfast (or the shower)?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nicky wrote:That auction catalogue is just bizarre. I'm a bit concerned about Nicky Morgan's run followed by a 'hearty breakfast' - is she going to have a shower before the breakfast? Does the successful bidder get to share the shower with her?
That auction catalogue is something alright. Just the one word popped into my mind when I saw those pics ... 'tarts'. Sorry to all self respecting tarts ... this lot are bringing the term as low as it can go.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.
UK business leader's call for early EU referendum raises pressure on Labour (Guardian)
Of course it does, Patrick (Wintour).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -on-labour
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Oh purrleeeeze....it's only just gone breakfast time here and the imagery (insert emoticon for 'runs away screaming')

Nice to see OGRFGs cousin chipping in with a tour of Highgrove as well...and which well-to-do oligarch could possibly do without this years must-have accessory....a JCB digger?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Exclusive: Tories could only rely on Lib Dem ministers in second coalition
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... coalition/
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Given that story that was around last night rubbishing the HSMR methodology and Dr Foster, it was curious to see that story from the weekend with Jeremy Hunt ordering an annual review into hospital mortality....using HSMR.

Actually, I've just seen that they did amend that story for the "1,200 unavoidable deaths" line.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... tal-deaths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This article was amended on 9 February 2015. An earlier version said the Francis report on the care provided by Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust found that at least 1,200 patients died because of poor care. The Francis report did not make that finding. It concluded that it would be unsafe to infer from mortality statistics that there was any particular number of avoidable or unnecessary deaths at the trust.
So was that story on Sunday a pre-emptive strike against what they knew was coming out?
Has anyone told C*NThs? (oops, sorry....typo...it always reads like that when I see it though)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:Good morning.
UK business leader's call for early EU referendum raises pressure on Labour (Guardian)
Of course it does, Patrick (Wintour).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -on-labour
:smack:

It is going to be Kipper central btl on that. Reminds me why I walked.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Just a reminder to everyone to go digging here

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ables-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is historical and forecast data by benefit, by region, local authority, council, even constituency etc.

All of it seems to show that despite all the cruelty, there have been no savings at all on the benefits bill.
Nicky
Backbencher

Post by Nicky »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
That auction catalogue is something alright. Just the one word popped into my mind when I saw those pics ... 'tarts'. Sorry to all self respecting tarts ... this lot are bringing the term as low as it can go.
It's political prostitution, which pretty much sums up the modern Tory party. I suspect those money men whom they pander to think they're obsequious fools. And Cameron has the gall to try and attack Miliband over union support.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This is a warning. Today I will be posting comments and views from those of a Tory persuasion ... not exclusively (I don't think I could cope with total immersion) but those I come across that seem worthy of an outing here. They will seek to re-illuminate for us the mindset of right wingers (along with those brochure pics earlier) and help us gird our loins and muster the spirit required to redouble our efforts to resist, resist at all costs.

Metaphor overkill over.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick de Bois MP ‏@nickdebois 12m12 minutes ago
Petition on saving weekly bin collections has topped 650 signatures please add your name if you agree http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/weeklycollections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Caught up with the wato podcast. Greenspan and his public bigging up of Thatcher was most revealing. Obama and Greece bad, Cameron and Osborne continuing the Thatcher legacy good.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Weekly Survey: Blair, anti-business, and Shadow Cabinet rankings
http://labourlist.org/2015/02/weekly-su ... -rankings/
Labour List are asking whether Labour should find a role for Tony Blair in the election .... I suggest as many of us as possible tell them what we think of that. (There's a couple of other questions on the survey too.)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LPVLSHT
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Morning!

Well, this is the rumour I've been expecting .... and no doubt it will be true by the time of the GE so that nothing can be done to find out about the taxpayer owned properties within a fully commercial environment where perhaps 1 shareholder will not be the SoS for Health.

This will be, IMHO, fraud.
2015-02-10_101752.jpg
2015-02-10_101752.jpg (59.01 KiB) Viewed 16438 times
Source is Roy Lilley http://t.co/nEdsowpKyR
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Labour List are asking whether Labour should find a role for Tony Blair in the election .... I suggest as many of us as possible tell them what we think of that. (There's a couple of other questions on the survey too.)

I was just disappointed there wasn't a "F*** No!!!!!" option on the poll.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I'm not sure whether it's not better for him to be inside the tent pissing out. Then again, way to alienate people who are looking wistfully at the Green Party
Labour should listen to what Blair has to say, then mostly ignore it :twisted:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I'm not sure whether it's not better for him to be inside the tent pissing out. Then again, way to alienate people who are looking wistfully at the Green Party
Way to alienate rather a lot of people who would vote Labour from my (limited I grant you) experience on the doorstep. His name has probably been cited as part of a reason why they're not so sure of Labour representing them now more than any other issue. He's not good news.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Ha, ha, ha!
2015-02-10_105707.jpg
2015-02-10_105707.jpg (116.66 KiB) Viewed 16389 times
http://t.co/Ytn81amL6N
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Yougov Daily app yesterday were asking about Labour's 4-week paternity leave proposal. These polls are weighted just like VI polls are so I was pleasantly surprised to see the levels of support it got from across the political spectrum.

and on voting intentions:

So it's 'too close to call' & whichever other cliche of your choice......
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Eric_WLothian wrote:Headline in the Scotsman: "Scottish Labour cuts SNP poll lead by half".
Same story, headline in the Guardian: "SNP set to double its vote in general election, poll finds"
Ah, but the Scotsman is part of PROJECT FEAR!!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Join Andrew Mitchell in an hilarious hour of expletive filled rants at plebs,bicycle optional.
Esther McVey in an exposition of cod scouse for beginners,followed by intermediary screeching nonsense,for those important business meetings.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lonewolfie wrote:Yesterday CitizenJA wrote:

Stimulating housing supply - Government initiatives - Commons Library Standard Note
Published 09 December 2014 | Standard notes SN06416

The Government has not set targets for increasing housing supply while the Labour Party has committed to building 200,000 homes a year by 2020. Reviews into housing supply include Government commissioned work led by Natalie Elphicke into the role that local authorities could play in increasing the supply of housing.
The Labour Party commissioned Sir Michael Lyons to conduct a housing review tasked with drawing up “a road map that will set out the changes to housing and planning policies and practice that are required to deliver the new homes and communities we need.” The Lyons Housing Review was published in October 2014.

All in it together....that'll be Natalie Elphicke, wife of...you guessed it -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Elphicke

Someone should tattoo the success of Council Housing (low cost/employment heavy/profitable for LAs etc) onto the inside of their foreheads.
Notice how the Parliamentary Standard Note description ran together the Tory Elphicke report together with Labour's Lyons' report.
Not all policies are the same.
"The Autumn Statement announced that government would launch a review into the role that local authorities can play in housing supply. On 30 January 2014, government announced Natalie Elphicke, Chairman of Million Homes, Million Lives and Councillor Keith House, Leader of Eastleigh Borough Council will jointly lead the review."

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/re ... ing-supply
The Elphicke-House Report
From statutory provider to
Housing Delivery Enabler:
Review into the local authority role
in housing supply
January 2015

Our report sets out detailed recommendations on how housing delivery organisations can be established, how private sector financing can be attracted and how a Housing 4 and Finance Institute should be established to promote and support the sharing of ideas and drive innovation in housing finance.

We look forward to seeing more councils inspire and deliver the change needed; to realise the potential to build the homes we need; and to create jobs and prosperity for the communities that they serve. Changing from statutory provider, to Housing Delivery Enabler.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _FINAL.pdf
(my bold)

Oh no. Just as the Health & Social Care Act of 2012 removed the Secretary of States' responsibility to provide care to merely having to promote it, Local Authorities will no longer have a statutory duty to provide housing.

Please have a look at the report Labour commissioned below. The meticulous timeline is a wonder to behold. I'm proud, I tell you.
The Lyons
Housing Review
Mobilising across the
nation to build the homes
our children need
October 2014

To encourage the volume house builders, we need policy stability and a supply of land supported by the planning reforms we have recommended, and more risk sharing and working with the public sector. To revive the SME sector, we propose a package of support, in particular reducing the cost and risk of making an application on a small site and providing access to government guarantees for bank finance.

Housing should become a priority for national investment once again, but we must consider carefully the best way to target public subsidy, look to investment rather than grant and look more creatively at how we use public land to encourage house building.

http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/uploads/e ... view_2.pdf
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Having been quiet for a spell, St Bailey is back in full flow.

Yup, she really has taken 'curing' the NHS to heart - in a way that only chucking abuse can achieve......:roll:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:Headline in the Scotsman: "Scottish Labour cuts SNP poll lead by half".
Ah, but the Scotsman is part of PROJECT FEAR!!
:lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Those YouGov findings posted above by pk1 are interesting.

Not least because they suggest Tories have an advantage of sorts because they have a (mostly elderly) group of voters who will turn out no matter what - of course, yesterday's Ashcroft poll only got its Tory lead after a turnout filter was applied.

That is a challenge for Labour and other parties, but also an opportunity.

I think turnout will actually be higher next time than it has been in recent GE, and the ground game (where the Tories are at a definite disadvantage) could be crucial there.

All to play for :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

The game changer: US health group eyes up NHS contracts

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 34872.html
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Just a reminder to everyone to go digging here

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ables-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is historical and forecast data by benefit, by region, local authority, council, even constituency etc.

All of it seems to show that despite all the cruelty, there have been no savings at all on the benefits bill.
Exactly so, Paul.

I also recommend regularly published Parliamentary Research Briefings found on the UK Parliamentary website.
The impact of the under-occupation deduction from Housing Benefit (social rented housing)
Commons Library Standard Note
Published 15 December 2014
Standard notes SN06896

The Government used powers contained in the Welfare Reform Act 2012 to provide that, since 1 April 2013, with some very limited exceptions, working-age social tenants in receipt of HB will experience a reduction in their benefit entitlement if they live in housing that is deemed to be too large for their needs. The policy is highly controversial.

In addition to reducing expenditure on HB, the measure is aimed at securing behaviour changes amongst social housing tenants. Although a great deal of media coverage has focused on the under-occupation deduction and its impact, together with the household Benefit Cap, it will deliver less than five percent of the savings from welfare reform in 2015-16.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... ed-housing
(my bold)