Tuesday 10th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re: Tuesday 10th February 2015

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Gerry Braiden ‏@BraidenHT 4h4 hours ago
A "climate of fear, intimidation & false allegations" & "dark veils of secrecy". Strong words as SNP duo quit party. http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ ... .118144930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I posted the resignation message of one of them on last night's thread.
Not having a heart of stone ......... :rofl:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:Here is the Kinnock original

If Margaret Thatcher is re-elected as prime minister on Thursday, I warn you. I warn you that you will have pain – when healing and relief depend upon payment. I warn you that you will have ignorance – when talents are untended and wits are wasted, when learning is a privilege and not a right. I warn you that you will have poverty – when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can't pay. I warn you that you will be cold – when fuel charges are used as a tax system that the rich don't notice and the poor can't afford.
I warn you that you must not expect work – when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don't earn, they don't spend. When they don't spend, work dies. I warn you not to go into the streets alone after dark or into the streets in large crowds of protest in the light. I warn you that you will be quiet – when the curfew of fear and the gibbet of unemployment make you obedient. I warn you that you will have defence of a sort – with a risk and at a price that passes all understanding. I warn you that you will be home-bound – when fares and transport bills kill leisure and lock you up. I warn you that you will borrow less – when credit, loans, mortgages and easy payments are refused to people on your melting income.
If Margaret Thatcher wins on Thursday, I warn you not to be ordinary. I warn you not to be young. I warn you not to fall ill. I warn you not to get old.
One of the best political passages of all time.

Kinnock was horribly underrated. I still have a lot of time for him, and find his vision prescient indeed.
Me too. A man who can compose a speech like that - and he meant it - would have made a damn good leader.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Tue 10 Feb, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 11m11 minutes ago
New Number 10 denial "We have no record of any government minister being made aware by HMRC of any alleged wrong doing by HSBC employees".
That scores 80 out of 10 for weaselly words.
But still, Ed Balls obviously knew, back in '97. :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Kinnock fated to be Cassandra.
It didn't have to be this way.
March of Folly.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I posted the resignation message of one of them on last night's thread.
Newsnight are right up there!
Tubs - I'm not sure what you're getting at there. But if it's taking the pee out of me ... take that you ........d, smack, smack and another one for good measure. If it's not - relaxxxxx.
I meant they're right up there in Scotland, exploring the issue!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
New Number 10 denial "We have no record of any government minister being made aware by HMRC of any alleged wrong doing by HSBC employees".
This won't do. I don't feel well. That's unacceptable.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Newsnight are right up there!
Tubs - I'm not sure what you're getting at there. But if it's taking the pee out of me ... take that you ........d, smack, smack and another one for good measure. If it's not - relaxxxxx.
Aaah. I'm going to believe you then - so relaxxxxx. But I do hope they haven't sent Maitliss up there - she'll annoy the pants off them if she tries to do jogging interviews with them. :D
Working on the wild side.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
They might not have a 'record' but others will have - and there's some noise from across the pond :)

“The new allegations that HSBC colluded to help wealthy people and rich corporations hide money and avoid taxes are very serious, and, if true, the Department of Justice should reconsider the earlier deferred prosecution agreement it entered into with HSBC and prosecute the new violations to the full extent of the law.”

Warren’s intervention will further stoke the scandal in Washington, where members of the Senate banking committee are preparing to grill a representative of the Federal Reserve on Tuesday over how much regulators knew about US tax evasion connected to HSBC Switzerland.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/fe ... eth-warren
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Compare and contrast the pillorying of the Crystal Methodist and the easy ride that the Tory press are giving Stephen Green...

Interesting that the charge against Flowers was that he didn't have a banking background - Green of course does...but sections of the press seem quite happy to swallow the line that he didn't know what one of his companies was up to. Do they not have a corporate audit?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

ephemerid wrote:Good afternoon, my friends.

1. Toby, if you persist in posting airbrushed pics of the Hectoring Harpy Harridan Fester McVile, I will be personally responsible for your demise.

2. HSBC hid £14 Billion from HMRC, and thanks to ex-HMRC boss Dave Hartnett and others, we got back just £137 Million. One prosecution.

3. OGRFG says "Britain needs a pay rise" seemingly unaware that this is the name of the campaign being run by the TUC - the UNIONS, Dave!

These three items show the following - some Tory government ministers are thick as bricks; this Tory-led government is deeply corrupt; and our prime Minister is not above stealing a good soundbite from the institutions he affects to despise.

And that Toby has a terrific sense of humour.

Hehe, just a hunch - but i'm guessing from your demeanour and air of slight aghast that you wouldn't care much to see her frolicking around in a swimming cozzie then ?
She has gone on record as saying the old GMTV era pics were somewhat embarrassing, and hoped folks wouldn't keep posting them on twitter and internet forums. She wants to be taken seriously nowadays.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AS blog:
John Longworth, the BCC director general, told Sky News that Ed Miliband’s absence from the BCC conference was “disappointing”.
It was disappointing because I think it was a great opportunity, a platform for the business community, businesses from all over the country, to set out the case.
I was watching Sky news at that time & yes, Longworth did say that but added that he understood EM had a diary commitment & that he had addressed business leaders back in November & at other times.

It's more disappointing that AS has chosen to misrepresent Longworh.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Oops ! too late. Sorry ephie :D
EstherMcVeyMassuerRequired.jpg
EstherMcVeyMassuerRequired.jpg (39 KiB) Viewed 7069 times
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Blaming it on the servants, as usual.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jackson The Cat.jpg
Jackson The Cat.jpg (60.71 KiB) Viewed 7068 times
Bill Esterson ‏@BillEstersonMP 16m16 minutes ago
Latest addition to our household, Jackson. He is joining us from @Freshfieldsresc @CatsProtection #CatManifesto
Jackson looks a bit feisty to me. Better make sure that Cat Manifesto gets adopted Bill.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Tubs - I'm not sure what you're getting at there. But if it's taking the pee out of me ... take that you ........d, smack, smack and another one for good measure. If it's not - relaxxxxx.
Aaah. I'm going to believe you then - so relaxxxxx. But I do hope they haven't sent Maitliss up there - she'll annoy the pants off them if she tries to do jogging interviews with them. :D
No no - it's important - they'll send Empty Daves' mate, Nick, surely? I'm sure he's popular with the SNP...oh, hang on....
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 8 hrs8 hours ago
Latest Poll of Polls:
Labour 33%
Conservatives 33%
Ukip 15%
Liberal Democrat 7%
Greens 7%
(Ashcroft-Opinium-Populus-YouGov)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Toby Latimer wrote:Oops ! too late. Sorry ephie :D
Toby - STOP. IT. NOW.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Emily Ashton ‏@elashton 6m6 minutes ago
A Tory MP has been told off by whips for accusing George Osborne of “intergenerational theft”: http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/a-t ... r-accusing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Toby Latimer wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Good afternoon, my friends.

1. Toby, if you persist in posting airbrushed pics of the Hectoring Harpy Harridan Fester McVile, I will be personally responsible for your demise.

2. HSBC hid £14 Billion from HMRC, and thanks to ex-HMRC boss Dave Hartnett and others, we got back just £137 Million. One prosecution.

3. OGRFG says "Britain needs a pay rise" seemingly unaware that this is the name of the campaign being run by the TUC - the UNIONS, Dave!

These three items show the following - some Tory government ministers are thick as bricks; this Tory-led government is deeply corrupt; and our prime Minister is not above stealing a good soundbite from the institutions he affects to despise.

And that Toby has a terrific sense of humour.

Hehe, just a hunch - but i'm guessing from your demeanour and air of slight aghast that you wouldn't care much to see her frolicking around in a swimming cozzie then ?
She has gone on record as saying the old GMTV era pics were somewhat embarrassing, and hoped folks wouldn't keep posting them on twitter and internet forums. She wants to be taken seriously nowadays.
Christ she thinks the GMTV stuff is embarrassing? Does she never watch the coverage of herself lying to the PAC or when she's coming out with fuckwitted comments in public? She wants to be taken seriously? Words fucking fail me.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:AS blog:
John Longworth, the BCC director general, told Sky News that Ed Miliband’s absence from the BCC conference was “disappointing”.
It was disappointing because I think it was a great opportunity, a platform for the business community, businesses from all over the country, to set out the case.
I was watching Sky news at that time & yes, Longworth did say that but added that he understood EM had a diary commitment & that he had addressed business leaders back in November & at other times.

It's more disappointing that AS has chosen to misrepresent Longworh.
Disappointing, but inevitable, given the Guardian's direction of travel. I don't even bother with the website any more.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Sivier ‏@MidWalesMike 1 min1 minute ago
SNP lead over Labour down to 10% - Political Scrapbook http://wp.me/p4Sru1-2N2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lonewolfie wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: I meant they're right up there in Scotland, exploring the issue!
No no - it's important - they'll send Empty Daves' mate, Nick, surely? I'm sure he's popular with the SNP...oh, hang on....
Ooh - I might even actually pay to see an interview by Nick Robinson with their new star Mairhi Black. No, not really. But I hope they've sent someone who can actually get beneath the skin and comes out with something a bit more than just the sound and fury ... getting very fed up with all of that. Be good to hear from a real range of people - and definitely the unusual suspects.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 10 mins10 minutes ago
New post.
Labour moves to its best ever position in YouGov’s “blame for cuts” tracker – now just 3% behind http://bit.ly/1CQAfr3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
A Tory MP has been told off by whips for accusing George Osborne of “intergenerational theft”: http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/a-t ... r-accusing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
That's my Tory MP. :o He doesn't use Twitter much, but posted that remark yesterday. Couldn't believe my eyes.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Compare and contrast the pillorying of the Crystal Methodist and the easy ride that the Tory press are giving Stephen Green...

Interesting that the charge against Flowers was that he didn't have a banking background - Green of course does...but sections of the press seem quite happy to swallow the line that he didn't know what one of his companies was up to. Do they not have a corporate audit?
It's the second time he's come up- LIBOR, of course.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

BBC has now picked up that Hinchingbrooke story I mentioned earlier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-31370127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
That's my Tory MP. :o He doesn't use Twitter much, but posted that remark yesterday. Couldn't believe my eyes.
It's all very prep school sounding though ... 'told off'. I wonder if they've given him lines and chores to do as well.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Andy Coulson was in Edinburgh High Court for a pre-trial hearing yesterday. This was not concluded so the next date is Feb 28th.

Wonder what's taking so long.......
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

pk1 wrote:Andy Coulson was in Edinburgh High Court for a pre-trial hearing yesterday. This was not concluded so the next date is Feb 28th.

Preliminary hearings are held to determine whether the legal representatives have finished their case preparation and are ready to proceed. (It's intended to prevent lawyers asking for adjournments later, when the witnesses have been cited).

Perish the thought that somebody might be dragging their feet. :shock:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
pk1 wrote:Andy Coulson was in Edinburgh High Court for a pre-trial hearing yesterday. This was not concluded so the next date is Feb 28th.

Preliminary hearings are held to determine whether the legal representatives have finished their case preparation and are ready to proceed. (It's intended to prevent lawyers asking for adjournments later, when the witnesses have been cited).

Perish the thought that somebody might be dragging their feet. :shock:
Is the sarcasm aimed at me ? I find it so hard to tell nowadays - I must be getting old.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lonewolfie wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: That scores 80 out of 10 for weaselly words.
They might not have a 'record' but others will have - and there's some noise from across the pond :)

“The new allegations that HSBC colluded to help wealthy people and rich corporations hide money and avoid taxes are very serious, and, if true, the Department of Justice should reconsider the earlier deferred prosecution agreement it entered into with HSBC and prosecute the new violations to the full extent of the law.”

Warren’s intervention will further stoke the scandal in Washington, where members of the Senate banking committee are preparing to grill a representative of the Federal Reserve on Tuesday over how much regulators knew about US tax evasion connected to HSBC Switzerland.

Ah. The US Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Goodbye, Dave, & your government with you.
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 10 Feb, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hi all.

Have been a bit lax in news reading the last few days but the Telegraph seems strangely quiet on HSBC/Lord Green etc. Have I missed something about the Barclay brothers and their tax 'affairs' ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Pritchard ‏@MPritchardMP 4m4 minutes ago
All Tories working hard for a majority. However, if the people choose otherwise - a continuation of the coalition should not be ruled out..
He doesn't sound very confident.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Your Tory MP may be lurking here, hoping to find out something to save what's left of his Tory career.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:Oops ! too late. Sorry ephie :D
Toby - STOP. IT. NOW.

Toby Latimer is not sorry.

He is, however, on borrowed time.

Toby.

I AM GOING TO GET YOU.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mark Pritchard ‏@MPritchardMP 4m4 minutes ago
All Tories working hard for a majority. However, if the people choose otherwise - a continuation of the coalition should not be ruled out..
He doesn't sound very confident.
He shouldn't.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

You in trouble now, Toby.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

pk1 wrote: Is the sarcasm aimed at me ? I find it so hard to tell nowadays - I must be getting old.
Certainly not ...unless you're one of the lawyers involved. :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:
citizenJA wrote:This won't do. I don't feel well. That's unacceptable.

Ah. The US Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Goodbye, Dave, & your government with you.
Nah. Dave's in thick with a whole bunch of American right wingers who run the US. He'll come out of it whiter than white.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And just a thought. I suppose the disc still exists? I hope someone took plenty of copies.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Your Tory MP may be lurking here, hoping to find out something to save what's left of his Tory career.
Well, he's following me on Twitter so he'll be getting plenty of tips :rock:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Digby Jones is an arse. That is all.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

citizenJA wrote:Kinnock fated to be Cassandra.
It didn't have to be this way.
March of Folly.
Leave out the "March of Folly & that makes a hell of a haiku:

Kinnock fated to
Be Cassandra. It didn't
Have to be this way
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Labour definitely got the better ex-TV presenter!!
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

A little light reading from the MEN - well, it fitfully amused me anyway.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... nt-8607454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have to say though, giving birth to the Co-operative movement is surely right up there with the best of sociopolitical landmarks. Bugger the French revolution, arriviste latecomer to the tradition of the English Revolution and the earlier civil wars (bring back the Diggers and Putney debates).
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Labour definitely got the better ex-TV presenter!!
The Lib Dem candidate for Ashfield seems keen to oust Gloria.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/how-you-can- ... 44620.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ex-IMF chief Dominque Strass-Kahn insists he 'only went to four orgies a year'

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/557 ... gies-court
Only four? Goodness :roll:
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Labour definitely got the better ex-TV presenter!!
I think so.

I'm old enough to remember Austin Mitchell presenting Calendar on regional Yorkshire TV . Never saw him in a swimming costume though :D
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

A few nice links from my other spiritual home...

Regarding HSBC and the government's complicity -
http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-aa ... NpIaC40-g0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another heart in mouth moment...
http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-1f ... NpIcy40-g0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And finally an editorial of such clarity and good sense, that I am reminded why I like the MS and don't bother with shit like the Graun:
http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-99 ... NpMgy40-g1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:
Ex-IMF chief Dominque Strass-Kahn insists he 'only went to four orgies a year'

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/557 ... gies-court
Only four? Goodness :roll:
I believe that's what passes for self restraint in some circles. I've never been to one. I'd have been a hopeless Roman.