Wednesday 11th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4h4 hours ago
Latest YouGov/Sun poll sees LAB regain lead

CON 33 (-1)
LAB 35% (+2)
LD 6% (-1)
UKIP 13% (-1)
GRN 8% (+1)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 11th February 2015

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning

And in belated response to jA's witty riposte late last night, in fact Queen have reformed. I know because some of my close family and friends are going to see them in Sheffield at the end of the month. Apparently the replacement Freddie won an X-Factor or similar (in the US?) singing a Queen song and is very good

I shall be happily tucked up at home with the YoungstersfromYorkshire listening to some proper rock music for free ;-)

And before anyone calls me churlish, I'm not immune to a good Queen singalong.....
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

The Google doc that Lady Centauria linked to yesterday had Wirral South listed (John Bell) but not Wirral West's Esther McVey. Puzzling. Was it a list of targets, not marginals?
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Happy Birthday to Denis Skinner ! 83 years young today
Skinner-Dennis.jpg
Skinner-Dennis.jpg (79.16 KiB) Viewed 21904 times

[youtube]D5G10FqPRIg[/youtube]
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Morning all....now then, about that disc and the information that Ed Balls MUST have known about in 2007 but the Creche Of Incompetence didn't know nuffink, 'onest...no-one told them 'til yesterday so how are they supposed to know...it's not their fault...over there, the Windsors are on that youTwitFace on tinterweb dontchaknow, what..

Amid a row over what ministers knew and the regulator's role, HM Revenue & Customs said the details it had could not "move outside the department".
HMRC was passed a horde of documents in 2010 from France about clients of HSBC's Swiss operation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31359962

Britain’s chief tax inspector told MPs in September 2011 that his department possessed a disc containing records from the Swiss subsidiary of a major UK bank – understood to be HSBC, contradicting Downing Street’s assertion on Tuesday that ministers only became aware of the scale of potential tax evasion through the bank at the weekend.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/fe ... ms-in-2011
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all.

Well I never. Another coalition policy that's turned out so well for us plebs ....
Spouse migration rules 'unfair' to UK citizens, admits minister
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31377750
He's going to try and fix the 'loophole' that allows EU citizens to come in without any income checks apparently. The income requirement needs serious revision - it should at the very least be lowered to match minimum wage income and include the regional variations of that. Making it apply to EU citizens as well isn't going to make it bearable or fair for UK citizens who can't comply with it - which includes 50% of those working in Wales.
Working on the wild side.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Robert Francis publishes his report on Whistleblowing in the NHS today.

It's an important topic but has been so, so hijacked by the usual suspects. A prize to the first spot of a call for Andy Burnham to resign.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This low life is making an early bid. Not quite there with the resign word though
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 08.00.47.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 08.00.47.png (63.89 KiB) Viewed 21866 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Wales is to get a share of million of pounds of European money to help shoulder the cost of bovine TB testing and compensation paid to farmers.

The EU Commission has approved Wales’ approach to eradicating bovine TB, which includes a badger vaccination programme and financial penalties for farmers who don’t undertake TB tests within a specified testing window.
http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/wales-get-mil ... ne-tb/.htm
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Appalling stuff from Julie Bailey

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... e-NHS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mid-Staffs-campaigners-Dont-trust-Labour-on-the-NHS.html
Nicky
Backbencher

Post by Nicky »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Appealing stuff from Julie Bailey

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... e-NHS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ah, just in time for Dave to whip out at PMQs. What a coincidence.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Nicky wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Appealing stuff from Julie Bailey

Ah, just in time for Dave to whip out at PMQs. What a coincidence.
And I did mean to write appalling not appealing honest :oops:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Unbelievable from Bailey. If I were Sir Robert Francis I'd be incandescent. I wonder if the report isn't all she and Hunt hoped it would be?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Spacedone wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4h4 hours ago

CON 33 (-1)
LAB 35% (+2)
LD 6% (-1)
UKIP 13% (-1)
GRN 8% (+1)
I'll be interested in AK's view on it, but this one looks rather interesting. I compared the weighting on this one with the previous poll, the one that gave the 1 point Tory lead, and if anything the weighting on this one was even more blatantly done to provide the Tories with an advantage ........ and didn't manage it!

Morning all.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Poll On Govt Work Re Tax Avoidance.jpg
Poll On Govt Work Re Tax Avoidance.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 21762 times
Red Box ‏@timesredbox 36m36 minutes ago
.@YouGov/#RedBox poll suggests voters are unimpressed with the government’s tax avoidance work http://thetimes.co.uk/redbox/topic/youg ... -avoidance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Unbelievable from Bailey. If I were Sir Robert Francis I'd be incandescent. I wonder if the report isn't all she and Hunt hoped it would be?
It isn't even out yet. Has Bailey even seen it?
If Hunt has got it I expect she has been shown the bits they need her to see.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Unbelievable from Bailey. If I were Sir Robert Francis I'd be incandescent. I wonder if the report isn't all she and Hunt hoped it would be?
It isn't even out yet. Has Bailey even seen it?
If Hunt has got it I expect she has been shown the bits they need her to see.
I still struggle to see how a scandal at one trust points to systemic issues rather than poor management at that one trust.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

I am loath to link anything from the Daily Wail, even more so when it's from Andrew Pierce, and I hate to go back to fund raising bash the Tories held this week, even so it's always worth reminding ourselves of the company the Tories keep. Also, someone really must tell Karen Brady, Liz Jones perhaps, that squeezing yourself into a dress size too small is never a good look.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... doors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@Adam:
Following the discussion on Kinnock's old speech and Cameron's nonsense upthread, have a read of Jonathan Freedland writing immediately before the 2010 general election...

Remember 1983? I Warn You That A Cameron Victory Will Be Just As Bad.
From last night.

Blimey. Did he have his crystal ball out?

[I've Tweeted it for FTN]
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Did anyone watch last night? Star turn from The Beast, JRM was, well came across as only JRM can. MrsD was highly amused by Fabricant's barnet :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

StephenDolan wrote:Did anyone watch last night? Star turn from The Beast, JRM was, well came across as only JRM can. MrsD was highly amused by Fabricant's barnet :lol:
I have seen better kept birds nests than the thing atop Fabricant's bonce.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:I am loath to link anything from the Daily Wail, even more so when it's from Andrew Pierce, and I hate to go back to fund raising bash the Tories held this week, even so it's always worth reminding ourselves of the company the Tories keep. Also, someone really must tell Karen Brady, Liz Jones perhaps, that squeezing yourself into a dress size too small is never a good look.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... doors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just read on Twitter that to make themselves look better instead of Champagne, they were given Chablis. :roll:
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Appalling stuff from Julie Bailey

These Mid-Staffs campaigners trust Labour....and there seem to be far more of them...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-29597614
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

ohsocynical wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:I am loath to link anything from the Daily Wail, even more so when it's from Andrew Pierce, and I hate to go back to fund raising bash the Tories held this week, even so it's always worth reminding ourselves of the company the Tories keep. Also, someone really must tell Karen Brady, Liz Jones perhaps, that squeezing yourself into a dress size too small is never a good look.

Just read on Twitter that to make themselves look better instead of Champagne, they were given Chablis. :roll:
Well quite - Chablis is very nearly a 'plebs' drink - it's just Chardonnay before they add the oakiness :o
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

That's a fantastically bitchy article from the Mail! I guess they're not impressed with the way Cameron has managed to make their party appear even more sleazy and corrupt than it did back in the dying days of the Major government. The fact that so many of the attendees hid their face or crept in the back door speaks volumes.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: If Hunt has got it I expect she has been shown the bits they need her to see.
I still struggle to see how a scandal at one trust points to systemic issues rather than poor management at that one trust.
It doesn't. It provides images (most of them false, but that's not the point with images) that will live in the minds of the voters and be associated with the NHS more widely. Never forget that this is government according to Goebbels' principle. Tell a lie. Make it simple, and big. Repeat. A simple lie is easier to believe than a complicated truth.

The bit of Francis I heard this morning suggested that in the vast majority of cases, concerns can be raised and are acted on without any problems, but his concern was in the cases where this didn't happen. In his own words, this 'is not a numbers game'. I was also pleased to hear him make the point that not all concerns raised were legitimate, although the interviewer talked over that bit and didn't seem to hear him, let alone want to pick it up.

Of course, that's not what the media will report.
You mean John Humphrys? Colour me shocked.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4h4 hours ago

CON 33 (-1)
LAB 35% (+2)
LD 6% (-1)
UKIP 13% (-1)
GRN 8% (+1)
I'll be interested in AK's view on it, but this one looks rather interesting. I compared the weighting on this one with the previous poll, the one that gave the 1 point Tory lead, and if anything the weighting on this one was even more blatantly done to provide the Tories with an advantage ........ and didn't manage it!

Morning all.
YouGov's polls being weighted towards the Tories from their raw figures is now quite a regular occurrence. There are good reasons for this, of course, but still......

Btw has anybody else noticed that when pollsters "tweak" their methodology, it is hardly ever to Labour's benefit? We have seen that at least twice from YouGov since the GE, and just recently both Populus and TNS/BMRB have made changes that would generally have the effect of damping down the Labour score.

It seems a number of assumptions are being made, which may or may not transpire on May 7 :?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Has David Cameron said yes to the TV debates yet?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tish wrote:

That's a fantastically bitchy article from the Mail! I guess they're not impressed with the way Cameron has managed to make their party appear even more sleazy and corrupt than it did back in the dying days of the Major government. The fact that so many of the attendees hid their face or crept in the back door speaks volumes.
A bitchy article it may be, but Alex Andreou can top it in less than 140 characters.
Alex Andreou ‏@sturdyAlex · 24h24 hours ago
Torn between shopping w May, dinner w Gove, tea w BoJo or just setting myself on fire and running into a wall a lot
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Has David Cameron said yes to the TV debates yet?
I was wondering that just yesterday. It's gone awfully quiet.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

RobertSnozers wrote:What's the betting that Cameron will have his quotes from the Freedom to Speak Up report for PMQs before Miliband has even had a chance to read it?
I was hoping Ed would go on the HSBC/Tory sleaze schtick today.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

frightful_oik wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:What's the betting that Cameron will have his quotes from the Freedom to Speak Up report for PMQs before Miliband has even had a chance to read it?
I'm betting Cameron will use the pink bus and Miliband not going to the business do. He'll try to have something as belittling as possible to say about them which he and his cronies will laugh at hysterically.

Edited to get rid of the split infinitive before PF wakes up to it.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Wed 11 Feb, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Has David Cameron said yes to the TV debates yet?
What do you think?

Btw, congratulations on reaching 30k posts everybody :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Hencke retweeted
Richard Murphy ‏@RichardJMurphy 4m4 minutes ago
If I knew about Stephen Green and Switzerland in 2010 anyone could have done | Tax Research UK http://shar.es/1oDGIV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael Savage ‏@michaelsavage 3m3 minutes ago
Guardian name Zac Goldsmith, MP for Richmond Park, as among those with account in Switzerland with HSBC.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning

And in belated response to jA's witty riposte late last night, in fact Queen have reformed. I know because some of my close family and friends are going to see them in Sheffield at the end of the month. Apparently the replacement Freddie won an X-Factor or similar (in the US?) singing a Queen song and is very good

I shall be happily tucked up at home with the YoungstersfromYorkshire listening to some proper rock music for free ;-)

And before anyone calls me churlish, I'm not immune to a good Queen singalong.....
That's delightful, Paul! I love Queen. Sheffield? Lovely place, lovely people in Sheffield.

Good-afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:
I'm betting Cameron will use the pink bus and Miliband not going to the business do. He'll try to have something as belittling as possible to say about them which he and his cronies will laugh at hysterically.

It's a One Nation Labour colour. Magenta.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
frightful_oik wrote: I was hoping Ed would go on the HSBC/Tory sleaze schtick today.

It's a One Nation Labour colour. Magenta.
For those unsure of the exact shade of magenta, switch on BBC Parliament now and look at OGRFG's face. ;)

Edited to add - The Sparrow has just tweeted that he is giving the PMQ win to OGRPG. Not saying I'm psychic or anything .....

TheGrimSqueaker @AndyLucia
· 3h 3 hours ago (9.30 am)
Predictions 4 today. Empty Dave will avoid question on HSBC by going purple & shouting "Mid Staffs". @AndrewSparrow will call PMQs for Dave.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

The Google doc that Lady Centauria linked to yesterday had Wirral South listed (John Bell) but not Wirral West's Esther McVey. Puzzling. Was it a list of targets, not marginals?
The Tory list of seats? It's been dropped off their battle map. Abandoned.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tony Grew ‏@ayestotheright 6m6 minutes ago
What has @SCrabbMP done to his wrist? It's in a sling
I'm saying nothing.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tony Grew ‏@ayestotheright 6m6 minutes ago
What has @SCrabbMP done to his wrist? It's in a sling :toss:
I'm saying nothing.
Fixed that for you.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just a thought.

From now on it won't be "Look, a squirrel", it'll be, "Look, a pink van".
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Dale @IainDale · 4h 4 hours ago
1 in 4 Tower Hamlets Postal Voters had Xs made by the same person. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/c ... 350493.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (£). Surely proof the election needs a rerun.
If true ... that's absolutely appalling. Anyone got access to this Times article who can tell us a bit more?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
1 in 4 Tower Hamlets Postal Voters had Xs made by the same person. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/c ... 350493.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (£). Surely proof the election needs a rerun.
If true ... that's absolutely appalling. Anyone got access to this Times article who can tell us a bit more?
I doubt it's true, my friend.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I know it's the Guardian - but:
HMRC official due to be grilled by MPs over HSBC scandal trying to pull out
Edward Troup was due to appear before public accounts committee on Wednesday afternoon but may not attend

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ward-troup
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Re the polls, I'd have thought that inflating the Tory lead would just motivate more Labour voters to actually turn out and vote on the day, as well as maybe persuading some of those considering voting Green/SNP/Plaid or UKIP to stick with Labour out of a fear of the Tories just getting in. I don't see that it's particularly advantagous to the Tories to inflate their vote in the polls.

I just wonder if maybe the polling companies various methods simply can't cope with the increasingly multi party system that we have. Like the voting system itself, they were created to work within two or three party system, and now we have seven, they just don't know what to do. They keep faffing about with their methodology to try and adapt, but none of them really know how. We had all those months of massively inflated votes for the LibDems while ignoring UKIP, then UKIP suddenly shot up to the 20's, now their sliding back down again. The Greens have been up and down like yoyo's while Scotland has seemingly morphed into a country of revolutionary nationalism overnight, despite rejecting that very thing not six months ago. It's all so random it's difficult to believe any of it anymore.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... nt-holders

HSBC files show Tories raised over £5m from HSBC Swiss account holders
Labour too has received cash and loans from bank’s clients, while leaked documents also reveal many donors with HSBC accounts had non-dom tax status
Last edited by ohsocynical on Wed 11 Feb, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Listening to Jeremy Hunt about the whistleblowers report, he quoted approvingly the Dr Foster report from the weekend.

Guess the rubbishing of HSMR and the whole Dr Foster methodology by the medics appointed by Keogh must have passed him by...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I doubt it's true, my friend.
Presume it's come from a report of the trial that's going on ... so who knows. I seem to remember a report of pads being found which had multiple impressions of Xs as if they had been used underneath voting forms a lot of times.

Will see if I can find any mentions elsewhere that might shed a bit more light.

This report from a month ago shows what the allegations re postal vote fraud are based on.
Judge to see forensics that point to Tower Hamlets vote fraud
Evidence from an independent forensic scientist will form the centrepiece of a rare election fraud trial opening at the High Court on Monday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... fraud.html
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Report: German tax officials target clients of British private bank Coutts' Swiss unit

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Canada% ... iss-unit/1
It's like an evil octopus with tentacles reaching everywhere. The system is way overdue for a good houseclean I reckon.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This might be NickyB's funniest ever post.
Personalising this attack on Stephen Green is both wrong and stupid. Wrong because no-one seriously thinks that Lord Green (a rather saintly man) was involved in any wrongdoing. And stupid because instead of the constructive questions about what more can be done to clamp down on tax evasion/avoidance it becomes a personal attack.
:lol:

What a berk.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.