Thursday 12th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 12th February 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sorry, it's that time of the afternoon.
Pen Is Broken.jpg
Pen Is Broken.jpg (42.44 KiB) Viewed 11754 times
Tim Shipman retweeted
TONY SNELL (Snelly) ‏@snellyradio 7m7 minutes ago
Hate it when the pen is broken don't you?
Working on the wild side.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Cameron being HORRID

[youtube]v7FPPj76XiE[/youtube]
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Halifax MP Linda Riordan to stand down at general election
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-31434198
Halifax MP Linda Riordan has announced she will not stand at the general election because of health problems.

The 61-year-old said rheumatoid arthritis had made it "increasingly difficult to carry out the job as effectively as I would like"...

Her seat is a Conservative target at the general election in May and Prime Minister David Cameron chose Halifax as the place to launch the first Conservative poster campaign of the year in January.

At the time Mrs Riordan told the BBC: "I am glad the prime minister decided to come to Halifax. At least it means he knows where the town is now."

As her decision to not fight the seat again has come so close to May's election, the Labour Party nationally will put forward a list of candidates rather than the local party choosing...

Mrs Riordan is the fourth Labour MP in West Yorkshire to confirm they will not be standing again in May.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Flynn ‏@PaulFlynnMP 2m2 minutes ago
Glimmer of peace hope in Ukraine enrages Liam Fox, Leader of the GIVE WAR A CHANCE PARTY.
Love him.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Halifax MP Linda Riordan has announced she will not stand at the general election because of health problems.

The 61-year-old said rheumatoid arthritis had made it "increasingly difficult to carry out the job as effectively as I would like"...

Her seat is a Conservative target at the general election in May and Prime Minister David Cameron chose Halifax as the place to launch the first Conservative poster campaign of the year in January.

At the time Mrs Riordan told the BBC: "I am glad the prime minister decided to come to Halifax. At least it means he knows where the town is now."

As her decision to not fight the seat again has come so close to May's election, the Labour Party nationally will put forward a list of candidates rather than the local party choosing...

Mrs Riordan is the fourth Labour MP in West Yorkshire to confirm they will not be standing again in May.
" ..... Conservative target ..... !=".

:lol!:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conl ... ml#Halifax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Harry Leslie Smith ‏@Harryslaststand · 6m6 minutes ago
Telegraph says screaming about #taxdodgers is new witch hunt does that mean DWP stopped harassing disabled claimants
:clap:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... nting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

PorFavor wrote:
Tish wrote:Just seen a clip of Farage on the BBC, looked most uncomfortable when asked about the Lord Fink tax avoidance story (as well as very sweaty and jowly). Tried to waffle on about the danger of the black economy being more important, presumably plumbers working cash in hand are considered far worse than multi millionaire tax dodgers down at UKIP towers, but eventually came up with the classic argument that if only the tax system were "simplified" people would stop indulging in these dubious schemes. Presumably in the same way that if we were allowed to just things from shops without paying, people would stop shoplifting.
I sensed that Nigel Farage has hit the buffers\painted himself into a corner\taken the 'bus down a narrow cul-de-sac - and knows it (in an involuntary exhibition of self-awareness). He daren't talk about policy because that always ends up in so much desperate back-pedalling - but he's run out of time for the mere waffle which has, let's be honest, served him fairly well to date. I think he knows it.
Perhaps Farage chose today for his pre-election-but-still-no-manifesto-launch speech because he thought that the 'bombshell opinion poll' Smithson trailed, the other day, might show that the UKIP share of the vote had shot up – which could have pushed him and his party right up the news-agenda. So his confidence, having seen their vote share plummet to 9%, might finally have taken a knock – and the news channels cut away from his waffle for weather, news headlines, and Ed Miliband's speech.

Mind you, the Beeb had already gone over to that hall in Clacton at the appointed time, watched someone else take the stage when they were expecting Farage, went off to cover other stories in the meantime, and he was already in full flow by the time they went 'live', so the broadcast of his speech was cut short from both ends. Still not short enough for me, mind ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Steve McCabe ‏@steve_mccabe 1m1 minute ago
Council house if you give up benefits (for life?) Sounds bit like Rights for Shares but even more of a disaster -latest IDS wheeze for votes
Tories have got a price for everything and absolutely no idea about values.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

LadyCentauria wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Tish wrote:Just seen a clip of Farage on the BBC, looked most uncomfortable when asked about the Lord Fink tax avoidance story (as well as very sweaty and jowly). Tried to waffle on about the danger of the black economy being more important, presumably plumbers working cash in hand are considered far worse than multi millionaire tax dodgers down at UKIP towers, but eventually came up with the classic argument that if only the tax system were "simplified" people would stop indulging in these dubious schemes. Presumably in the same way that if we were allowed to just things from shops without paying, people would stop shoplifting.
I sensed that Nigel Farage has hit the buffers\painted himself into a corner\taken the 'bus down a narrow cul-de-sac - and knows it (in an involuntary exhibition of self-awareness). He daren't talk about policy because that always ends up in so much desperate back-pedalling - but he's run out of time for the mere waffle which has, let's be honest, served him fairly well to date. I think he knows it.
Perhaps Farage chose today for his pre-election-but-still-no-manifesto-launch speech because he thought that the 'bombshell opinion poll' Smithson trailed, the other day, might show that the UKIP share of the vote had shot up – which could have pushed him and his party right up the news-agenda. So his confidence, having seen their vote share plummet to 9%, might finally have taken a knock – and the news channels cut away from his waffle for weather, news headlines, and Ed Miliband's speech.

Mind you, the Beeb had already gone over to that hall in Clacton at the appointed time, watched someone else take the stage when they were expecting Farage, went off to cover other stories in the meantime, and he was already in full flow by the time they went 'live', so the broadcast of his speech was cut short from both ends. Still not short enough for me, mind ;)

He didn't seems to be quite his usual self, somehow. Diminished, even. Not that I'm complaining . . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Can anyone find the Hansard account of what Ed Miliband actually said yesterday, please? I've tried and failed. I remember it as Ed Miliband remembers it - but I'd be interested to check. If I'm right, perhaps "we" could "Tweet" the relevant bit?

Edited to add -

Or would there be too many (dodgy or otherwise) characters?
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 12 Feb, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
JustMom wrote:Sparrow just refers to him as Miliband,yet all the other leaders he calls by their full names.
They call him Mr Sparrow . . .
I won't say what I call a lot of his work. Okay. I will. That dumbass, bewildered, 'Miliband vs. Fink' write up was confused. I've had enough of this journalist's shit.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Having looked at his Twitter feed I think Nick Robinson might join Cathy Newman in having some time off. Getting pasted.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Spacedone wrote:Having looked at his Twitter feed I think Nick Robinson might join Cathy Newman in having some time off. Getting pasted.
Social media is the new media. The MSM haven't quite twigged that yet.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Steve McCabe ‏@steve_mccabe 1m1 minute ago
Council house if you give up benefits (for life?) Sounds bit like Rights for Shares but even more of a disaster -latest IDS wheeze for votes
Tories have got a price for everything and absolutely no idea about values.

I don't care if someone never claims benefits again. I'm not giving them a house cheap.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:NumbrCrunchrPolitics ‏@NCPoliticsUK 4 hrs4 hours ago
New #GE2015 forecast from @pollingobs has initial seat projections of:

CON 269
LAB 293
LIB 21
UKIP 1
SNP 47
I'd tell the SNP to put the Tories in or get lost, if that happened.

Presume that would Carswell winning, and not Fargle or Reckless. Not the best career move anyone's ever made.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conl ... ml#Halifax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You're forgetting Labour's Asian support collapsing...
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

You're forgetting Labour's Asian support collapsing...
All going to UKIP I gather.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:Can anyone find the Hansard account of what Ed Miliband actually said yesterday, please? I've tried and failed. I remember it as Ed Miliband remembers it - but I'd be interested to check. If I'm right, perhaps "we" could "Tweet" the relevant bit?

Edited to add -

Here's Hansard with the entire exchange but if you're referring specifically to Fink, Ed said:
Edward Miliband: Let us talk about the difference between the Prime Minister and me. None of those people has given a penny on my watch, and he is up to his neck in this. Let us take Stanley Fink, who gave £3 million to the Conservative party. The Prime Minister actually appointed him as treasurer of the party and gave him a peerage for good measure. Will he now explain what steps he is going to take about the tax avoidance activities of Lord Fink?
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1185000238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No slander, nothing that would ever remotely have stood up in court if Fink had been so stupid as to carry out his 'threat'
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Spacedone wrote:Having looked at his Twitter feed I think Nick Robinson might join Cathy Newman in having some time off. Getting pasted.
Robinson needs to publicly & privately apologise to Labour & to Ed.

I also think Guido Fawkes could be sued for libel because based on no evidence whatsoever, he named Tom Baldwin as a source for the Milly Dowler reference.

I would happily contribute to a crowdfund for Baldwin to sue the arse off that twat :toss:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Can anyone find the Hansard account of what Ed Miliband actually said yesterday, please? I've tried and failed. I remember it as Ed Miliband remembers it - but I'd be interested to check. If I'm right, perhaps "we" could "Tweet" the relevant bit?

Edited to add -

Here's Hansard with the entire exchange but if you're referring specifically to Fink, Ed said:
Edward Miliband: Let us talk about the difference between the Prime Minister and me. None of those people has given a penny on my watch, and he is up to his neck in this. Let us take Stanley Fink, who gave £3 million to the Conservative party. The Prime Minister actually appointed him as treasurer of the party and gave him a peerage for good measure. Will he now explain what steps he is going to take about the tax avoidance activities of Lord Fink?
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1185000238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No slander, nothing that would ever remotely have stood up in court if Fink had been so stupid as to carry out his 'threat'
Thank you. (I was sort of counting on you and you didn't let me down!) Bit long for a "Tweet", as I suspected, though. Pity.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Edited to add -

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1185000238
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Well, learnt a lot from the cybernats on that "SNP defy austerity" thread.

They're actually the true progressives on freezing council tax because it's regressive. They'd love to give areas a choice about protecting their services, but they can't because it's regressive. Which must be what Eric Pickles is too coy to say.

Local income tax- that's progressive. But hasn't been brought in despite majority for nearly 4 years. And existing income tax powers- they can't be used, because because.

Always good to remind them that the SNP used to support using them, but died on its arse electorally, and came back as uber taxcutters.

Nationalism. It lets you get away with that sort of thing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oops....too late.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

CON 269
LAB 293
LIB 21
UKIP 1
SNP 47

Presume that would Carswell winning, and not Fargle or Reckless. Not the best career move anyone's ever made.
Eh ?

Con & SNP = 316

Lab & SNP = 340
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote: Thank you. (I was sort of counting on you and you didn't let me down!) Bit long for a "Tweet", as I suspected, though. Pity.
Yeah, the only way round it is to attach it as a photo as I did yesterday:
Attachments
me.png
me.png (84.63 KiB) Viewed 11634 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Butler ‏@patrickjbutler 17m17 minutes ago
Excellent piece by @dawnhfoster: ‘Gifting’ council houses, IDS, is a breathtakingly stupid idea http://gu.com/p/45n2g/stw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some great comments BTL too. Pointing out the obvious scams that will be employed by dodgy companies and individuals ... e.g. provide a fake, or even genuine, job to eligible tenants and divy up the proceeds on selling said house some way down the line.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

pk1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

CON 269
LAB 293
LIB 21
UKIP 1
SNP 47

Eh ?

Con & SNP = 316

Lab & SNP = 340
I think tubby means CON+LIB<LAB.

I'm going to stick my neck out here. I think Labour will get more than 300 & very close to an overall majority.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Oh yeah.

When Sturgeon says her approach is resonating with the "Labour movement", it's unfair to quote actual trade unions who aren't impressed. Because Labour.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: I'd tell the SNP to put the Tories in or get lost, if that happened.

Eh ?

Con & SNP = 316

Lab & SNP = 340

I'm going to stick my neck out here. I think Labour will get more than 300 & very close to an overall majority.
I agree with you.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:
pk1 wrote:

Edited to add -

Thank you. (I was sort of counting on you and you didn't let me down!) Bit long for a "Tweet", as I suspected, though. Pity.
You underestimate our cunning ;-)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 17.40.05.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 17.40.05.png (90.83 KiB) Viewed 11591 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Thank you. (I was sort of counting on you and you didn't let me down!) Bit long for a "Tweet", as I suspected, though. Pity.
Who's a clever clogs, then? I'm useless at all that malarkey. Thanks for finding a way round it and doing it (before I even thought of it)!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian ‏@Mancman10 5 mins5 minutes ago

ComRes poll Today: Improving Housing affordability ~ LABOUR 32% CONSERVATIVE 19% #GE2015
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Who's a clever clogs, then? I'm useless at all that malarkey. Thanks for finding a way round it and doing it (before I even thought of it)!
Me I'm a clever clogs too look ;-)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: I'd tell the SNP to put the Tories in or get lost, if that happened.

Eh ?

Con & SNP = 316

Lab & SNP = 340

I hadn't looked at it that way- CON, UKIP and LIB indeed can't defeat LAB.

Any problems, make it a confidence motion. SNP can't bring the government down.

Don't let them take credit for having forced Labour to the left.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian ‏@Mancman10 8 mins8 minutes ago

ComRes poll Today: Improve the Education System ~ LABOUR 28% CONSERVATIVE 25% #GE2015
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Sorry pk1 for the duplication and hats off to the blue highlighting ;-)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian ‏@Mancman10 10 mins10 minutes ago

ComRes poll Today: Keep the costs of everyday items, such as food,energy & travel ~ LABOUR 30% CONSERVATIVE 22% #GE2015
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
gilsey wrote:
pk1 wrote: Eh ?

Con & SNP = 316

Lab & SNP = 340

I hadn't looked at it that way- CON, UKIP and LIB indeed can't defeat LAB.

Any problems, make it a confidence motion. SNP can't bring the government down.

Don't let them take credit for having forced Labour to the left.
I've tried very politely to say here before that we folk might just consider a more benign view of the SNP - surely the most likely outcome of the next GE is a Labour / SNP arrangement of some kind.

This would IMHO be just fine. The SNP have no interest in making claims about being left wing. Labour will be more than happy to give them more autonomy, which is fine by me. And the rest of us can get on with saving the NHS, stopping persecution of the disabled, living wage, schools back on track, environment, Lords reform and all the things we care about.

P.S. If I were Ed and in a position to do so I would include the Greens in such an alliance even if the arithmetic didn't dictate it.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Put it another way who would you rather have as Miliband's ally? Clegg or Sturgeon?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Patrick Butler ‏@patrickjbutler 17m17 minutes ago
Excellent piece by @dawnhfoster: ‘Gifting’ council houses, IDS, is a breathtakingly stupid idea http://gu.com/p/45n2g/stw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some great comments BTL too. Pointing out the obvious scams that will be employed by dodgy companies and individuals ... e.g. provide a fake, or even genuine, job to eligible tenants and divy up the proceeds on selling said house some way down the line.
Tempted to go and read that, Dawn always writes well. The Guardian were idiots not to keep her on staff, but she didn't always toe the party line.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Sorry pk1 for the duplication and hats off to the blue highlighting ;-)
Well, there's clever clogs & there's clever clogs...... :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I would almost give my left arm to be a fly on the wall at Tory headquarters.

Dave's bewilderment over Ed being horrid to him is proof, if proof were needed, that the present bunch of Conservatives are arrogant to the point of ignorance.

And does anyone else associate "horrid" as being an upper class nursery word?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Put it another way who would you rather have as Miliband's ally? Clegg or Sturgeon?
Farron is the answer for all sorts of reasons. The SNP are not interested in people just flags.
Release the Guardvarks.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

I do. :D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Put it another way who would you rather have as Miliband's ally? Clegg or Sturgeon?
I don't think it's going to be Clegg anyway ... whatever deals are done or not done with the Lib Dems. :D

I'm not sure 'ally' will be the right term either. I can't see the SNP / Sturgeon / Salmond switching off the anti Labour / red Tories rhetoric - even if they are providing a confidence and supply arrangement.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 4h4 hours ago
Which party do you trust on which issue? Labour ahead on seven, Tories and UKIP on two. (via ComRes)

ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Very interesting Peter Oborne article at the Spectator.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/943 ... succeeded/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a very good article - expect nothing like it to appear in the mainstream press - particularly the Gruan.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:I would almost give my left arm to be a fly on the wall at Tory headquarters.

Dave's bewilderment over Ed being horrid to him is proof, if proof were needed, that the present bunch of Conservatives are arrogant to the point of ignorance.

And does anyone else associate "horrid" as being an upper class nursery word?
I think just about everyone other than Empty and his cronies associate 'horrid' as a spoilt rotten upper class twat kind of response. :D

It's got a bit of a pout and flounce about it when said by Cameron.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Margaret Halliday retweeted
Saggydaddy ‏@Saggydaddy 17 mins17 minutes ago

Stanley #Fink as a director of ARK Schools has obviously forgotten ARK holds up to 60 per cent of its funds in the Cayman Islands #bbcqt
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Margaret Halliday retweeted
Saggydaddy ‏@Saggydaddy 17 mins17 minutes ago

Stanley #Fink as a director of ARK Schools has obviously forgotten ARK holds up to 60 per cent of its funds in the Cayman Islands #bbcqt