Friday, 13th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Friday, 13th February 2015

Post by ephemerid »

Hannah Waldram was a patronising little person who attempted to convince us all that "threading" was the best thing since sliced whatevers.

She and the seriously ghastly JulianF ("I have a MBA, you know") were telling us how all the hipsters in bloody Camden or wherever thought it was great on their ipads while they had a quick snook at the lifestyle pages while imbibing frapprcrappocinos in their chinos. And beards.

Just as with the Beta crapola, we all expressed our annoyance, LightACandle went to see Rusbridger to give him several pieces of our minds, CifFix got invented, we all carried on as before - and Hannah disappeared. No loss.

After all the Beta nonsense, I am willing to punt that the patronising Wolfgang will get the job.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Thanks ephe, that captures a lot of my emotion at that time too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:Hannah Waldram was a patronising little person who attempted to convince us all that "threading" was the best thing since sliced whatevers.

She and the seriously ghastly JulianF ("I have a MBA, you know") were telling us how all the hipsters in bloody Camden or wherever thought it was great on their ipads while they had a quick snook at the lifestyle pages while imbibing frapprcrappocinos in their chinos. And beards.

Just as with the Beta crapola, we all expressed our annoyance, LightACandle went to see Rusbridger to give him several pieces of our minds, CifFix got invented, we all carried on as before - and Hannah disappeared. No loss.

After all the Beta nonsense, I am willing to punt that the patronising Wolfgang will get the job.
Yes, but you could have a good convo with Hannah . . . .
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 2m2 minutes ago
Bad news for Cameron. A useful @ITVnews poll by @ComResPolls in the KEY MARGINAL SEATS finds Labour 40% CON 31% (in 2010 both had 37%)
Posting because of useful comparison with 2010.
Working on the wild side.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Here's Anatoly's round up:
AnatoilyKasparov wrote:Three local council by-elections yesterday:

Cambridgeshire CC - Tory hold of a safe division which, as on this occasion, they have easily won facing a split opposition. Despite a share little changed from 2013, they had a swing of 4% from second placed UKIP as the latter fell back and were almost caught by the LibDems who advanced on last time (though were down on 2009 when they came second and even more so compared with 2005) and overtook Labour whose share was almost unchanged. Greens last, but taking nearly 12% and up on their previous two showings here.

Harlow DC - Labour gain from UKIP with a swing of around 10% since last May, when the latter stormed to victory in their first contest here at this level - taking both seats in a double vacancy. This ward had voted a full slate of 3 LibDem councillors back in the 2002 "all outs" and apart from a Labour win in 2004 when an ex-LibDem stood as an Independent and split their vote, they won here every time subsequently until 2010 when Labour won by a handful of votes (the Tories not far behind in third) This time round the Tories were third again (with a former LibDem councillor who later in her term defected to them before losing in 2006) but their share also up since last year which will give them some comfort in this traditional "bellwether" constituency. Greens stood here for the first time and scored a modest 4%, but that was enough to beat the LibDems who fell to a new low having seen their share plummet at every election since 2010 - the times (both in the 1970s and 90s) when they provided the sole opposition to Labour on the council seem very improbable now.

Shropshire - Tory hold of a ward which split 1Tory/1Independent in 2013 (the latter coming out on top) with Labour narrowly missing out; they held it easily this time with a double figure swing. This is partly explainable by their being no Indy candidate this time and the sitting member throwing their weight behind the Tory, but also due to the fact both the Greens and - rather unusually - the LibDems stood on this occasion having not bothered to do so in either last time or in 2009 (when the Tories took both seats here) Not just that but they took over a third of the poll between them, the Green candidate narrowly coming out on top (and, indeed, not finishing far behind Labour) One of the more quixotic results that we have seen recently, all told.

Just one (Welsh) contest next week.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Notice
VAT Notice 701/14: food

Published 10 February 2014

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 70114-food" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B_a_s_t_a_r_d_s
Could you be a bit more specific ? What's happened ? The notice is a year old - does it have any new impact on us that hasn't existed before ?
You're quite right. I've gotten the year wrong. Every time I don't buy the chocolate, every time I don't buy the ice cream, I'm avoiding 20% tax slapped onto those items by current government.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

citizenJA wrote:
pk1 wrote:
citizenJA wrote: B_a_s_t_a_r_d_s
Could you be a bit more specific ? What's happened ? The notice is a year old - does it have any new impact on us that hasn't existed before ?
You're quite right. I've gotten the year wrong. Every time I don't buy the chocolate, every time I don't buy the ice cream, I'm avoiding 20% tax slapped onto those items by current government.

I'm happy to blame the coalition for a lot of things but hasn't there always been a group of foodstuffs that has attracted VAT, ever since VAT was first introduced ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

At 20%?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Yes, they raised it by 2.5% to 20% from January 2011.

They are b*****ds even without that extra 2.5%
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 29m29 minutes ago
Just 12% tell ComRes ITV marginals poll that the key factor in voting choice is which party leader will make best PM pic.twitter.com/MsHu6OaUXl

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 26m26 minutes ago
@MSmithsonPB You don't actually believe that, do you?

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 17m17 minutes ago
@DPJHodges The figure is lower than I'd have expected but I think you attach far too much importance to it.

Ray Bareham ‏@WyeLea 7m7 minutes ago
@MSmithsonPB @DPJHodges Most people's idea of tactical voting is keep Milliband out of no. 10

@WyeLea @DPJHodges Do you have a source for that data?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Yahyah -

Look at where current government collect government tax receipts, please.
Central government receipts in December 2014...

income tax related payments £12.6 billion

corporation tax £3.4 billion

stamp duties (on shares, land & property) were £1.2 billion

VAT receipts £10.5 billion

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/psa/publi ... -borrowing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PAYE & VAT receipts 'fund' this bastard government.
Landed gentry & corporations are not so heavily burdened.
My point is regular people have been disproportionately burdened by a dumber than shit Chancellor totally unnecessarily. No reason whatsoever except for ideological purposes.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour in Scotland Have Always Put Westminster's Wants Above Scotland's Needs
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/alan/sc ... _hp_ref=uk
Tin hat required before reading this.

And probably something to pad out the wall before you run at it repeatedly.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Yes, they raised it by 2.5% to 20% from January 2011.

They are b*****ds even without that extra 2.5%
On the politics thread in the other place a lively discussion about 'tax avoidance' was entered into. Good fun. The trolls were stymied. Again, how does current government choose to collect tax at this time? Through PAYE & VAT, primarily.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 29m29 minutes ago
Just 12% tell ComRes ITV marginals poll that the key factor in voting choice is which party leader will make best PM pic.twitter.com/MsHu6OaUXl

@DPJHodges The figure is lower than I'd have expected but I think you attach far too much importance to it.

@MSmithsonPB @DPJHodges Most people's idea of tactical voting is keep Milliband out of no. 10

In the canyons of his mind ..... through the holes in his string vest ....
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

And each time he hears Ed's name
Oh, oh, oh, my, my...how...how it hurts! (He's in pain!) :lol:

Oops...showing our age.

Edited to add: for anyone who can't recall the 1960s.
http://lyrics.wikia.com/The_Bonzo_Dog_D ... _Your_Mind" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 13 Feb, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

:dance:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 45174.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

"Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel......" etc.

Tra La!

It's the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind, Mrs.Riots.

In the case of Dan F Hodges (hellooooo, Dan!) it's ever-decreasing circles in a whirlpool of bitter bile.

Love him.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 52m52 minutes ago
Exc by @TomMcTague: Ukip 'desperately trying' to get Labour's Karen Danczuk to defect http://dailym.ai/1CmgogI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Told ya.

I refuse to post the picture of her in her bra that accompanies that tweet - especially as it's alongside one of Farage the Wide Mouthed Frog.

If that's what UKIP will count as a prize defection (she's already resigned as a Labour councillor thank goodness) - they are obviously very desperate.
The Wide Mouthed Frog joke is a fond childhood memory. Please don't sully it.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

James Doleman has spotted another mis-truth in Robinsons latest excuse
That was the week public disinterest in phone hacking was transformed into widespread revulsion after the revelation
(since disputed)
that the murdered teenager Milly Dowler's phone had been hacked.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31458017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is no dispute her phone had been hacked, only that any messages were deleted by the hacker(s)

Wonder if Robinson can even lie straight in his bed.....
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

How about frog-mouthed wide boy? Just a suggestion.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

diGriz wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 52m52 minutes ago
Exc by @TomMcTague: Ukip 'desperately trying' to get Labour's Karen Danczuk to defect http://dailym.ai/1CmgogI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Told ya.

I refuse to post the picture of her in her bra that accompanies that tweet - especially as it's alongside one of Farage the Wide Mouthed Frog.

If that's what UKIP will count as a prize defection (she's already resigned as a Labour councillor thank goodness) - they are obviously very desperate.
Alright diGriz - I take that one back. (I absolutely love frogs meself - so I'd rather not associate them with rubber-mouth Nige.)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Couldn't resist.
TheGrimSqueaker @AndyLucia
· 7m 7 minutes ago
@MSmithsonPB @WyeLea @DPJHodges He doesn't need a source Mike, he has his hatred to keep him warm.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote::dance:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 45174.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They should follow that up with 'Rocky Road'.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

With 'Half Baked' for the Lib Dems.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Liberal Democrats ‏@LibDems 34m34 minutes ago
.@nick_clegg announces new ambition to help 1m more women into work by 2020 http://buff.ly/1uNezt9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's dropped pledges and promises, now it's an ambition.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Liberal Democrats ‏@LibDems 34m34 minutes ago
.@nick_clegg announces new ambition to help 1m more women into work by 2020 http://buff.ly/1uNezt9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would 1 million women want to help realise Nick's ambition?
'Leave us the hell alone, Nick...'
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

citizenJA wrote:
yahyah wrote:Liberal Democrats ‏@LibDems 34m34 minutes ago

Would 1 million women want to help realise Nick's ambition?
'Leave us the hell alone, Nick...'
I can see where he's going with this...

Public services are predominantly staffed by women... Cameron and Clegg intend to sack 1 million public sector workers... Hey presto! A million women to find jobs for.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

mikems wrote:How about frog-mouthed wide boy? Just a suggestion.

Twunt.

(Courtesy of the Showmaster)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Had an email back from PoliticsHome regarding their mobile site :-

"Hi Stephen, thanks for the email.

We're still going through a few teething issues with the new website since we went live, and we're aware the mobile site isn't up to scratch. We are working on it as an absolutely priority and hope to get it sorted as soon as possible.

Thanks,
...."

I live in hope, after FTN it's my main source for political news.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Life in the PIP queue.

http://disabilitynewsservice.com/2015/0 ... -assessed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"DWP shortcuts to reduce PIP delays ‘have made it easier to reject claims"

http://disabilitynewsservice.com/2015/0 ... ct-claims/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 13 Feb, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, PF
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
diGriz wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Told ya.

Alright diGriz - I take that one back. (I absolutely love frogs meself - so I'd rather not associate them with rubber-mouth Nige.)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nearly 600 jobs to be axed at Cardiff council as local authority finalises its budget
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ff-8644969
All I have seen for the past few weeks are announcements of jobs at risk or job losses - no announcements of new jobs created that will in any way compensate for what we are losing.

Never mind .... Wales is getting a super prison. That should help.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://beckypants.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... on-street/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Immigration Street – not wanted here"
Like so many of the people who have spoken out against it, we’re concerned by what this show will do. Derby Road and this whole area is a diverse, energetic, entrepreneurial, hard grafting place – it doesn’t need tensions to be stirred up in the name of ratings.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Anybody want a sweeeeeet fridge magnet? Yours if you donate £10 to the Tories.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (37.98 KiB) Viewed 11752 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:https://beckypants.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... on-street/

"Immigration Street – not wanted here"
Like so many of the people who have spoken out against it, we’re concerned by what this show will do. Derby Road and this whole area is a diverse, energetic, entrepreneurial, hard grafting place – it doesn’t need tensions to be stirred up in the name of ratings.
Thank you - that's lovely to read.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 3 hrs3 hours ago
Comres/ITV - 40th most marginal seats (31st Jan - 10th Feb):
CON - 31% (-)
LAB - 40% (+1)
UKIP - 15% (-3)
LDEM - 8% (+1)
GRN - 5% (+1)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LBC ‏@LBC 16m16 minutes ago
A new poll has said Labour voters would prefer a coalition with the Greens over the Lib Dems. Would you like to see another coalition?
Hmmmmm.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
A new poll has said Labour voters would prefer a coalition with the Greens over the Lib Dems. Would you like to see another coalition?
Hmmmmm.
No.

Labour majority.
Let's keep it simple.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

If I wish really hard, does anyone think the Dimblebies would just fuck off?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Hmmmmm.
No.

Labour majority.
Let's keep it simple.
I've just been informed, on that Smithson/Hodges Twitter thread, that the Tories are on track to a 33 seat majority because of Ed. I pointed out the last time the Tories managed to get a majority Lovejoy was still on BBC 1; I do enjoy a pompous troll, they are always so easy to wind up. :lol:

Edited to add - I see Tubby has found him now. I shall just sit back and enjoy the fun.
Last edited by TheGrimSqueaker on Fri 13 Feb, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

The hardy band of business leaders backing Labour

http://gu.com/p/45mnm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usual "yeah but..." BTL.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Sawford MP retweeted
Mark Avery ‏@MarkAvery 4m4 minutes ago
Object to @forestholidays @ForestryCommEng forest-destroying proposal http://ow.ly/J1smZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (unlike @WoodlandTrust) @AndySawfordMP
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

frightful_oik wrote:If I wish really hard, does anyone think the Dimblebies would just fuck off?
I've just had my rant about the Dimbleby 'intervention' re Miliband's house in the presence of Mr Riots. He knew not to say anything at all. I took out my rage on riddling the Rayburn extra furiously and dumping the ash outside ...

That's not the role of a chairperson.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

FFS, everyone gets to answer the question how they want then, as soon as it gets to Labour, Dimbleby insists on narrowing the question down to some petty point. Man's an arse.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

frightful_oik wrote:FFS, everyone gets to answer the question how they want then, as soon as it gets to Labour, Dimbleby insists on narrowing the question down to some petty point. Man's an arse.
I can't put myself through listening anymore, driving and any questions is a recipe for road rage. :lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-3 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Armando Iannucci tax claim sparks UKIP donor legal threat"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Progressive politics, SNP style, there must be a reason why Labour declined to vote though, but I am too knackered to see it.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... e-1.838278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;