Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Re: Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th February 2015

Post by discordantharmony »

ohsocynical wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Which is, apparently, roughly one quarter of the number of people who avoided tax using HSBC's advice but somehow so much more important. Look, a squirrel .....
Indeed. The cost of those 1780 people is roughly £40-50million pa. The cost of taxes lost to the Treasury in one year due to avoidance and evasion was £34billion.

We're gonna need a bigger squirrel.

How about: Look a pink van!

Afternoon all........

How about: 'Look a pink van being driven by an overweight squirrel'
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Only if the squirrel is eating a bacon sandwich.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Willow904
Because of a function of lumping all people,regardless of situation in the category of "unemployed,workless" (even if they are working,in not an inconsiderable amount of cases),statistics-picking a static one,a point in time ; tells you nothing about the considerable churn and decades long mythology propagandised by both parties in a bilateral agreement of accusing the other party of deliberate encouragement.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
gilsey wrote:
diGriz wrote:A very different tone on social media this week.

A definite shift in public feeling. For example, just saw this linked;

The Pitchforks Are Coming… For Us Plutocrats
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... 08014.html

Not the usual sort of thing doing the rounds. Labour well do well to keep on this tax issue, it is striking a chord with the public and the media aren't in a position to spin it for the tories. Although they are trying like Hell to.
That article is terrific.
Yes isn't it. Written by an American about the US, but just as relevant over here.
Its from July/August 2014 and I think he has gone on to publish more (similar) articles and has (if I've got the right bloke) formed a lose grouping of likewise rich to lobby US gov to do more for the pitchfork carriers.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Starbucks in Britain
A loss-making machine

http://www.economist.com/news/business- ... 643271-tax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Just reread Cohen's piece, zonked last night so didn't fully take it in, it is a thoroughly deserving hatchet job, any old style Tory reading that would surely have said "ouch" at least once.

Those Tories who care how this country is viewed abroad couldn't really argue with Cohen's view that in Europe no one cares what Cameron thinks, no one goes to him for support, and no one goes to him for solutions.

So true it is embarrassing.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... ax-returns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris Johnson has shown his unerring ability to cause mischief in the Tory party by reviving his call for politicians to publish their tax returns and calling on David Cameron to make him a key member of his EU negotiating team.
Someone who used to churn out anti-EU bollocks for a living, that'll go down well.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2015/02/15/i ... l-cock-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Iain Duncan Smith to simplify all his cock-ups into one Universal Cock-Up"

I have every confidence that the Universal Cock-Up will be delivered on time and on budget,’ said Mr Duncan Smith. ‘I have already commissioned the very latest state-of-the-art IT system to run it: a Sinclair ZX 81. Nothing can possibly go wrong, although admittedly we are having some teething troubles getting the cassette player to load the software.’

"Mr Duncan Smith has also arranged for himself to be constantly monitored by Atos, who will conduct a continuous assessment of his inability to do the job properly and ensure that he is always doing everything he possibly can to do everything possibly wrong."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Welsh to English auto-translate on S4C's report from the Welsh Labour Conference yesterday couldn't cope with Ceredigion's Labour candidate saying coalition cuts were too fast and too deep.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2015/02/15/i ... l-cock-up/

"Iain Duncan Smith to simplify all his cock-ups into one Universal Cock-Up"

I have every confidence that the Universal Cock-Up will be delivered on time and on budget,’ said Mr Duncan Smith. ‘I have already commissioned the very latest state-of-the-art IT system to run it: a Sinclair ZX 81. Nothing can possibly go wrong, although admittedly we are having some teething troubles getting the cassette player to load the software.’

"Mr Duncan Smith has also arranged for himself to be constantly monitored by Atos, who will conduct a continuous assessment of his inability to do the job properly and ensure that he is always doing everything he possibly can to do everything possibly wrong."
Brilliant.

'getting the cassette player to load the software'

'Please stand by - our UniversalCockUp is making his way to the phone...'
<'sometimes.... all I need is the air that I breathe & to love you...>
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Image

The Welsh to English auto-translate on S4C's report from the Welsh Labour Conference yesterday couldn't cope with Ceredigion's Labour candidate saying coalition cuts were too fast and too deep.
I totally understood that. Moving translation, indeed. Yes.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Welsh Greens leader Pippa Bartolotti has accused Plaid Cymru members of 'social media harassment':

http://wales.greenparty.org.uk/news/sta ... mbers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Her deputy says 'The ongoing ‘Green Surge’ appears to show no signs of slowing' but haven't polls in the the last couple of weeks shown that it is ?
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 15 Feb, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... ax-returns
Boris Johnson has shown his unerring ability to cause mischief in the Tory party by reviving his call for politicians to publish their tax returns and calling on David Cameron to make him a key member of his EU negotiating team.
Someone who used to churn out anti-EU bollocks for a living, that'll go down well.
He's giving up his American citizenship supposedly because he can't be PM with dual nationality...A more cynical suggestion is that it's to get out of paying American taxes.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:Welsh Greens leader Pippa Bartolotti has accused Plaid Cymru members of 'social media harassment':

http://wales.greenparty.org.uk/news/sta ... mbers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Her deputy says 'The ongoing ‘Green Surge’ appears to show no signs of slowing' but haven't polls in the the last couple of weeks shown that it is ?
It has.
YouGov/S Times (6/2/15) – CON 32%, LAB 33%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 8%
Opinium/Observer (6/2/15) – CON 32%, LAB 34%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 8%
Ashcroft (8/2/15) – CON 34%, LAB 31%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 14%, GRN 6%
Populus (8/2/15) – CON 33%, LAB 34%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 15%, GRN 4%
YouGov/Sun (9/2/15) – CON 34%, LAB 33%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 14%, GRN 7%
YouGov/Sun (10/2/15) – CON 33%, LAB 35%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 13%, GRN 8%
Ipsos MORI/Standard (10/2/15) – CON 34%, LAB 36%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 9%, GRN 7%
YouGov/Sun (11/2/15) – CON 32%, LAB 33%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%
YouGov/Sun (12/2/15) – CON 31%, LAB 34%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%
Populus (12/2/15) – CON 31%, LAB 34%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 14%, GRN 6%
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
He's giving up his American citizenship supposedly because he can't be PM with dual nationality...A more cynical suggestion is that it's to get out of paying American taxes.
I don't know if there'd be any problem really. For his faults, he's not been greedy with minimizing his tax in the UK.

He'd not be liable in America, I wouldn't think.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rob Marchant ‏@rob_marchant 28m28 minutes ago
Can I say just how much the British left should *not* express solidarity with this Putin-supporting bunch of clowns?
He's responding to a tweet by Owen Jones saying people are gathering in Trafalgar Square to show their solidarity with Greece / Syriza.

Marchant seems to be of the same ilk as Rentoul and Hodges. I wonder if they all go drinking together - if they do that's a pub or bar to avoid.
The reality is that Syriza is rapidly morphing into a mainstream social democratic party - its foreign policy stances are in some respects less than ideal, but also something of a holdover from their days as a fairly fringe hard left outfit.

Of course the likes of Marchant are among the few who mourn the impeccably Blairite *and* utterly corrupt PASOK ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... y-remploy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Maximus trying to buy remploy"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mmm, looks like Ceredigion's Lib Dem MP didn't want to canvass showing his party colours yesterday.
Wonder why that might be ? :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
I don't know if there'd be any problem really. For his faults, he's not been greedy with minimizing his tax in the UK.

Yes he is. He's just had to pay a chunk to the US.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... tax-demand
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
It's Johnson you're writing about. No one can out-cynical Johnson. I'm unable to write more. I decline to know Johnson.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: They've left the fuc off the beginning of that translation too.

But why are S4C using auto translate ... that's guaranteed to be terrible for anything political or technical?
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

A US citizen is on the hook with the US IRS for any income earned or exhorted anywhere in the Universe. Always. Without exception. Amen.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Welsh Greens leader Pippa Bartolotti has accused Plaid Cymru members of 'social media harassment':

Have we seen any evidence of this social media harassment? I'd be interested to know what Plaid supporters have been saying which has made her issue this statement. But useful that she sets out what a dogs dinner the Euro elections were in terms of some of the Greens saying people should vote for the Plaid candidate instead. It wasn't just Plaid saying it then, it seemed to originate with a Green candidate who stood down for the Plaid MEP.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Have we seen any evidence of this social media harassment? I'd be interested to know what Plaid supporters have been saying which has made her issue this statement. But useful that she sets out what a dogs dinner the Euro elections were in terms of some of the Greens saying people should vote for the Plaid candidate instead. It wasn't just Plaid saying it then, it seemed to originate with a Green candidate who stood down for the Plaid MEP.

I've been trying to find out what's irked them, maybe Greens are just being thin skinned, or maybe some Plaiders have been borrowing ideas from their more extreme 45er Nat comrades.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 32 mins32 minutes ago
ENGLAND only shares from Opinium
CON 35
LAB 35
LD 8
UKIP 15
GRN 6
At GE10 CON had 11.4% lead in England so level-pegging not good for blues
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: He's giving up his American citizenship supposedly because he can't be PM with dual nationality...A more cynical suggestion is that it's to get out of paying American taxes.

A US citizen is on the hook with the US IRS for any income earned or exhorted anywhere in the Universe. Always. Without exception. Amen.
Everyone who emigrates to Britain and works and pays tax here.

You think they can tax him again on his taxed UK income?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ohsocynical wrote:
The cynics would probably be right. There is absolutely nothing to stop somebody with dual nationality becoming Prime Minister, aside from the will of the people and the support of that persons own party; if you can become an MP (which Johnson obviously was, and intends to be again) then you can aspire to the leadership of your party and of the country. Andrew Bonar Law, the shortest serving PM of the 20th Century, was born in New Brunswick and held dual British & Canadian citizenship, so there is sufficient precedent; but you can't expect the meeja to bother digging for that sort of info, much easier to take the floppy haired sociopath's word.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: I don't know if there'd be any problem really. For his faults, he's not been greedy with minimizing his tax in the UK.

Yes, I know they do.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
The cynics would probably be right. There is absolutely nothing to stop somebody with dual nationality becoming Prime Minister, aside from the will of the people and the support of that persons own party; if you can become an MP (which Johnson obviously was, and intends to be again) then you can aspire to the leadership of your party and of the country. Andrew Bonar Law, the shortest serving PM of the 20th Century, was born in New Brunswick and held dual British & Canadian citizenship, so there is sufficient precedent; but you can't expect the meeja to bother digging for that sort of info, much easier to take the floppy haired sociopath's word.
Correct.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: I don't know if there'd be any problem really. For his faults, he's not been greedy with minimizing his tax in the UK.

In theory, yes; in practice, obviously no, but it is far from straightforward. Doesn't Michael the OneButtonMonkey hold dual citizenship? Might be worth asking for his input on this if your paths cross at The Other Place.

http://www.expatinfodesk.com/expat-guid ... liability/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I've been trying to find out what's irked them, maybe Greens are just being thin skinned, or maybe some Plaiders have been borrowing ideas from their more extreme 45er Nat comrades.
Bartoletti is probably annoyed about this piece on Bright Green website - calling for the very pacts she has ruled out. But I can't see that this alone can have sparked her statement.
The Green Party and Plaid Cymru should make three strategic pacts in Wales
http://bright-green.org/green-movement/ ... -in-wales/
Trouble with pacts like that is that Plaid have some policies and tendencies - at home in Wales at least, less so in Europe - that are far from what I imagine most Green supporters would want to get behind.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 41m41 minutes ago

ENGLAND only shares from Opinium CON 35 LAB 35 LD 8 UKIP 15 GRN 6. At GE10 CON had 11.4% lead in England so level-pegging not good for blues
:clap:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

There's a double taxation treaty with the US, so a US citizen living here would be liable for tax in the US, but tax paid in the UK would be offset.

What kind of income Boris would have that would be taxed more highly in the US than here I can't imagine.
Last edited by gilsey on Sun 15 Feb, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
In theory, yes; in practice, obviously no, but it is far from straightforward. Doesn't Michael the OneButtonMonkey hold dual citizenship? Might be worth asking for his input on this if your paths cross at The Other Place.

http://www.expatinfodesk.com/expat-guid ... liability/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My duel citizen friend never mentioned paying American tax.

You think the US are ignoring billions of free cash they could take out of competitor economies?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks RR.

Was sidetracked by finding an old Indie piece - Bartolotti admitted she drives an old Jaguar not anything more environmentally friendly.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

You think the US are ignoring billions of free cash they could take out of competitor economies?
Your friend is wise.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

The US haven't had competition in a mighty long time.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

I don't think anything in particular, just trying to be helpful. I shall think twice in the future.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

I don't think anything in particular, just trying to be helpful. I shall think twice in the future.
Sorry, didn't mean to be fierce.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

What a load of bollocks this is.

Ed Balls refuses to back Ed Miliband tax loophole
Shadow Chancellor says he will look at 'systematic tax evasion' and refuses to rule out banning 'deed of variation'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... phole.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deed of variation as used by Mili's Mum was rendered totally redundant by the change in inheritance tax rules to allow the surviving spouse to inherit the unused nil rate band.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apologies if I've given offense. It wasn't my intention.

xx
JA
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:Apologies if I've given offense. It wasn't my intention.

xx
JA
You haven't!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

gilsey wrote:There's a double taxation treaty with the US, so a US citizen living here would be liable for tax in the US, but tax paid in the UK would be offset.

What kind of income Boris would have that would be taxed more highly in the US than here I can't imagine.
It was profit from the sale of his first home. Not taxable when it's your first home here, but is in the States.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

gilsey wrote:What a load of bollocks this is.

Ed Balls refuses to back Ed Miliband tax loophole
Shadow Chancellor says he will look at 'systematic tax evasion' and refuses to rule out banning 'deed of variation'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... phole.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deed of variation as used by Mili's Mum was rendered totally redundant by the change in inheritance tax rules to allow the surviving spouse to inherit the unused nil rate band.
A load of bollocks is the only way to describe this whole thing; aside from the fact that the Graun piece (from which somebody posted the relevant extract here) concluded that there was no real tax advantage to be gained, I'm lead to understand that Ed Miliband has already paid any potential liability that he would incur. The MSM are shit stirring, sadly for them he has been careful to remain squeaky clean.

@TI, no problem.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

To have citizenship in both the US & the UK is an honour, a privilege. I'm sensible of this honour. The obligations this hospitality engenders within a recipient leaves me without words, only a deep feeling of gratitude.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just a thought, but if God forbid Dave gets in in May and they go ahead with cutting overweight people's benefits, what's the betting they'll introduce a limit to how much people can weigh. I don't think for a moment IDS will be satisfied with 1,780 people losing out. He'll want a jolly sight more than that.
I believe the weight that qualifies a female as obese is around fourteen stone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Dan & Sam Miliband
Sam & Dan Miliband

Sam Miliband
Dan Miliband

Dan Miliband
Sam Miliband

http://flythenest.org/download/file.php?id=810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beautiful family.

Good-night.
Love
JA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Just a thought, but if God forbid Dave gets in in May and they go ahead with cutting overweight people's benefits, what's the betting they'll introduce a limit to how much people can weigh. I don't think for a moment IDS will be satisfied with 1,780 people losing out. He'll want a jolly sight more than that.

And at the same time they'll probably bring in a new regulation / expense band for any MPs or Lords / Ladies who weigh more than fourteen stone to make sure they're entitled to double rations in the Westminster bars, tea rooms, restaurants etc. Wouldn't want them unable to concentrate on doing their very very special jobs (aka sleeping, braying and jeering, talking rubbish, playing candy crush and tweeting) for us through lack of sustenance. Pickles, in particular, will need that help to keep his focus on bin collections.

I'm being sarcastic - but as that Andrew Rawnsley piece showed so well - this sort of ludicrous move wouldn't be out of place in their rarified world of one rule for us and another for everyone else.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

For Tubby and Roger.

Opening next September. Staff employed.

Despite ongoing negotiations on a site, leaders are confident that the former home of the Elvian School in Southcote Lane will be agreed in time for the first students.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/ ... -teachers/
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:Just a thought, but if God forbid Dave gets in in May and they go ahead with cutting overweight people's benefits, what's the betting they'll introduce a limit to how much people can weigh. I don't think for a moment IDS will be satisfied with 1,780 people losing out. He'll want a jolly sight more than that.
If someone is so overweight it stops them from working, I would imagine it would be reasonable to assume that they are suffering psychological problems that would require expert help.

This is just another way of reducing the benefit bill by not treating psychological conditions the same as physical conditions. Just as learning difficulties have been dismissed by a Tory MP as simply the result of a poor education, obesity is equally being dismissed as simply preferring to sign on. The tone is one more and more of mental health issues not actually existing at all. It feels like we're going backward, which of course is the intention, because the main reason why incapacity benefit claims grew so much under New Labour was because people with mental health conditions had been supported by charities to claim benefits they were entitled to for the first time. To most people this would be seen as a good thing, with the most vulnerable people in our society accessing support they need, but for the Tories it's just extra money spent by Labour on the great unwashed which they would prefer spent on more "worthy" causes like reducing inheritance tax.

Needless to say, the vermin really need to be kicked out.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb