Graun

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Graun

Post by SpinningHugo »

I am sure my frequent presence would not be welcome, and I don't intend to post here as I am sure it would attract a hostile reaction. I don't want to disrupt the Collegiate atmosphere you have.

But

As some may know, I am banned over at the Guardian (for reasons I do not understand) and do sometimes login when I feel strongly about a topic. However people are now crying 'Hugo' whenever they see a new post that they don't like, and it isn't me. Today's examples are

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/47618957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/47612789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few days ago someone was claiming they were Hugo in order to wind up the regulars. Again, not me.

Some of you will, no doubt, think that it is my fault that I am confused with these rightwing nutjobs and CCHQ sock puppets. I am, however, on (not to) the right of the Labour party (albeit one who opposed the Iraq War to the best of my abilities). I do think it is important that this government is removed from office. One example of why, as a peace offering

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 38036.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Graun

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:I am sure my frequent presence would not be welcome, and I don't intend to post here as I am sure it would attract a hostile reaction. I don't want to disrupt the Collegiate atmosphere you have.

But

As some may know, I am banned over at the Guardian (for reasons I do not understand) and do sometimes login when I feel strongly about a topic. However people are now crying 'Hugo' whenever they see a new post that they don't like, and it isn't me. Today's examples are

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/47618957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/47612789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few days ago someone was claiming they were Hugo in order to wind up the regulars. Again, not me.

Some of you will, no doubt, think that it is my fault that I am confused with these rightwing nutjobs and CCHQ sock puppets. I am, however, on (not to) the right of the Labour party (albeit one who opposed the Iraq War to the best of my abilities). I do think it is important that this government is removed from office. One example of why, as a peace offering

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 38036.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi Hugo,

As long as everyone is civil and I very much include the regulars here, you are more than welcome to add your voice to the debate. Alternate views are always welcome and are a good thing to prevent this place becoming an echo chamber.

Regards

Refitman
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Hugo

I, on the other hand, bailed out of CiF before you became a presence there, so I know you only through coments passed on this site about the persistence with which you try to get on CiF with new identities. Please do post: this site is remarkably free from personal feuds, and we do all have the same desire as you, to see the Tory Government confined to the dustbin of History (and IDS condemned to the most painful hellhole imaginable).
The truth ferret speaks!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I agree with Refitman & Robert.

Differences of opinion are ok so long as they don't lead to an outbreak of hostility - thankfully that's extremely rare in this place.

AFAIK there has only been a handful of posts moderated since we started this place so I wouldn't expect that to change.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Well if Hugo is here we have clearly arrived.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

And I posted my Hi in the wrong thread so will say again
Hi Hugo! ~~~Waves~~~
Our 2 camps are
Jaffa Cakes (Ugggh)
Or Marmite with cheese and crackers
Which are you ? (grins)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

To be honest Hugo, you always tried to make your posts in The Other Place substantive and you never went out of your way to be objectionable/obstreporous in the way that others are. Maybe you could add your distinctiveness to our collective (so to speak)?

And the multiple bannings have taken on something of a cult status, the Graun equivalent of South Park's "Oh my God, they killed Kenny!"/"You bastards!"; your 'fingerprint' is pretty distinctive, so the mods will spot you anyway, and it provides a little harmless amusement (and annoys Notso) to boot.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Hello, Hugo, and welcome aboard.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Will you bring back the mondrian avatar if we ask nicely?
I still believe in a town called Hope
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

SpinningHugo wrote:I am sure my frequent presence would not be welcome, and I don't intend to post here as I am sure it would attract a hostile reaction. I don't want to disrupt the Collegiate atmosphere you have.

But

or

Hi Hugo, I'm one of the moderators here, and I'm more than aware of your rep over at the Graun. What's over there stays over there, as far as I'm concerned.

You're more than welcome here (as others have said better than I), and I hope that you'll find our moderation far more to your liking.

For the record: we (we being Refitman, PaulfromYorkshire and myself) have never deleted a post nor banned anyone for what they've posted. Where conflicts have arisen, we've tried very hard to reconcile posters and to get them to see that we're pretty much pointing in the same direction, and even if we weren't, keeping it civil through hints and gentle reminders is far better than the shit moderation over there. So that's something I think we've got that's worth staying around for.

Frankly, even if we had right wing libertarian posters here (there are more than one or two left wing libertarians, IMO), then nothing would change. This is meant to be an open forum and that means respecting other interlocutors, in the same way as if you were sat opposite them in a pub.

The only post removals we've had - and I deeply regret them - is from posters who've removed them themselves for reasons that aren't my business, but theirs.

And that's it. That's FTN. I hope you stay and contribute as much as you want, and dont get worried about your reception here. This isn't CiF, and never will be.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Hi Hugo!

Welcome to FTN. I'm of the Marmite with cheese on crackers tendency and think that Jaffa cakes (spit) are spawn of the devil – ie., far less appetising, and considerably less nutritious, than frog-spawn. But I do have an allergy to oranges...

Come on in, draw up a chair, load up the Mondrian avatar, and join our conversations. Oh, BTW, the Admins and Mods here are being modest: they're brilliant at spam-zapping. Which reminds me. Today's Special Dessert, available from the Haven Café, is Spam Pavlova. Yum :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hi Hugo !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Hi there, buddy :)

Just to repeat the welcome that others have given here - I for one have never doubted that you want Labour to do well, for all our differences; which have however been expressed (well, usually) in a civil and constructive manner. I am sure you will have things of interest to contribute, so happy FTNing!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Hi Hugo, welcome to the Haven :)
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.