Tuesday 17th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 17th February 2015

Post by citizenJA »

This brings me to a second and even more important point that bears not just on the fate of one newspaper but on public life as a whole. A free press is essential to a healthy democracy. There is a purpose to journalism, and it is not just to entertain. It is not to pander to political power, big corporations and rich men. Newspapers have what amounts in the end to a constitutional duty to tell their readers the truth.

It is not only the Telegraph that is at fault here. The past few years have seen the rise of shadowy executives who determine what truths can and what truths can’t be conveyed across the mainstream media. The criminality of News International newspapers during the phone hacking years was a particularly grotesque example of this wholly malign phenomenon. All the newspaper groups, bar the magnificent exception of the Guardian, maintained a culture of omerta around phone-hacking, even if (like the Telegraph) they had not themselves been involved. One of the consequences of this conspiracy of silence was the appointment of Andy Coulson, who has since been jailed and now faces further charges of perjury, as director of communications in 10 Downing Street.

- Peter Oborne
OpenDemocracy
17 Feb 2015

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... 0%E2%80%A6
(my bold)
That stood out like a neon sign flashing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Aside from that - really - totally apart - I think those two paragraphs are the strongest & most moving of his piece.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Hi Red North

Please don't depart. The trouble is if you say things like
To them Labour looks shapeless, nondescript and vacillating.

Why?

Becuase it is.
it doesn't leave the rest of us anywhere to go. The point is if you respect others' views and then they'll respect yours. But your view isn't de facto correct. It's your view.
Bit nonplussed by this - as I thought I had responded very directly to Rednorth - engaging with the idea of what Labour could do to improve their 'offer' and agreeing that it needed a better narrative - citing Mark Ferguson's suggestions - and Willow came in after me with more points along that line.

Certainly didn't think I was being tribally closed.
Working on the wild side.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Could Ed Miliband be Labour's Margaret Thatcher?
Ed Miliband has long been fascinated by the conviction and charisma of the Iron Lady – and there are intriguing similarities in their records in opposition and radical spirit
'Ed wants to break the consensus. What attracts him to Thatcherism is the insurgency.'

Andy Beckett

16 January 2013
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-thatcher
Thanks for the link (not so much for the picture, eughh!).
It's stuff like this that makes me hopeful if Labour manage to pull off a surprise majority:
In a New Statesman interview with Hasan the same year, an "animated" Miliband blamed Thatcherism for "employers who don't take responsibility … the triumph of finance over industry … an ethic of take-what-you-can … the short term, the fast buck." He concluded: "All that has got to change."
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:Btw, has Hodges made any comment yet ? If he had any bollocks he would by now recognize he too is being used to generate clicks by posting the same article time and time again.

It should be a wake up call if he had any sense.
I think he wants to be the last man standing at the Tgraph. Fits with his hero complex.
The boy stood on the burning deck . . . .

His "Tweet" about Peter Oborne was a bit lame, wasn't it? It was hardly supportive or rallying to his (Peter Oborne's) flag.
Yep. Also, crap grammar is fine if you're not a journalist or if you're exceptionally talented even with the crap grammar. I'll say no more.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Martin Rowson on form without even drawing anything
ScreenShot00226.jpg
ScreenShot00226.jpg (39.83 KiB) Viewed 11966 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I am finding it very hard to know exactly what is meant by Labour swimming in bits and pieces of policies.

There was impatience last year. Ed said, he wasn't going to promise anything until it was costed it and they knew it worked.
We were impatient, but could see the sense of waiting until they began laying out policies.

And now here we are with 73? days to go.
From the top of my head.
Bedroom tax, zero hours, minimum wage, bankers, tax avoidance, schools, NHS, apprenticeships. Guaranteed jobs for youngsters. Keeping the fox hunting ban.

Plus how he's out-maneuvered Cameron in the Commons. It was very skilled statesmanship.

I'm not being snippy but what exactly do people want?
Anyone following the financial shenanigans and overspends of the Tories must know it'll be impossible for Ed to wave a magic wand and make it all better overnight?

We've seen what silver tongued but empty speeches have spawned but there's no chance of an orator like Nye Bevan riding in to save the day. It doesn't make the Labour Party any less dedicated or Ed less effective though.

I'm gagging for efficient, firm, fair, even dull, yes dull governance. I just want the job done properly.
We're owed respite from fear and anxiety. Dull but effective will definitely work for me.

To add. And some of the problems Ed is having to tackle are cropping up weekly. Did we foresee the HSBC scandal at Christmas?

And one final thing I've learned. It will never return to how it used to be. You can never go back. The world has moved on.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Could Ed Miliband be Labour's Margaret Thatcher?
Ed Miliband has long been fascinated by the conviction and charisma of the Iron Lady – and there are intriguing similarities in their records in opposition and radical spirit
'Ed wants to break the consensus. What attracts him to Thatcherism is the insurgency.'

Andy Beckett

16 January 2013
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-thatcher
Thanks for the link (not so much for the picture, eughh!).
It's stuff like this that makes me hopeful if Labour manage to pull off a surprise majority:
In a New Statesman interview with Hasan the same year, an "animated" Miliband blamed Thatcherism for "employers who don't take responsibility … the triumph of finance over industry … an ethic of take-what-you-can … the short term, the fast buck." He concluded: "All that has got to change."
Exactly!
You found my favourite quote from that piece.
See the date - over two years ago.

Apologies for the including the graphics. It was intentionally provocative on my part, I know. It's rather part of the whole message of the Beckett article. I won't do it again.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I think he wants to be the last man standing at the Tgraph. Fits with his hero complex.
The boy stood on the burning deck . . . .

His "Tweet" about Peter Oborne was a bit lame, wasn't it? It was hardly supportive or rallying to his (Peter Oborne's) flag.
Yep. Also, crap grammar is fine if you're not a journalist or if you're exceptionally talented even with the crap grammar. I'll say no more.

My dad's version.

The boy stood on the burning deck picking his nose like mad
He rolled the bogies in little balls
And flicked them at his dad.

Ta - boom
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

I imagine DFH has already phoned the editor asking for a pay rise as compensation for continuing to work at the discredited rag.
Release the Guardvarks.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
giselle97 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Not half - if gets any honest answers from Osborne, frankly I'll probably die of shock. He's asked all of the right questions (and there's certainly more than 5 there). But it's incendiary stuff that'll have the government squirming. I'm glad it is public, although I expect the meeja (the finest one can buy) to try and bury the letter.
I'd like to Tweet that letter but, as with all of the Labour Press announcements, there is no Tweet shortcut or proper Share. What does everyone else do in that instance pleas?
This any use?

Thanks .... but that's the same as the web link, isn't it? I can't find a "share" function anywhere on it. Does that mean I have to type an appropriate tweet and then just copy in the link? That is "Here's a letter from Balls to Osborne":
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1112761 ... ge-osborne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought Labour had employed someone for its on-line presence.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Toby Latimer wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote:I've always had a grudging admiration for Peter Oborne - I didn't always agree with what he said, but he expressed his views with force and eloquence; he also did his homework and is a proper journalist.

The Telegraph has been going downhill for some time, and now we know a bit more about it. I've followed the shenanigans there via Private Eye, and I suppose it was inevitable that someone with integrity like Oborne would go eventually.

Perhaps he should write for the G. Then they could boot out the execrable D'Ancona.
Is it the Barclay brothers who bought property on and are trying to do a takeover of the island of Sark? No time to Google at the moment.

The very same ....
I thought it might be. There's a tale! I think they're aiming for Kingship.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Hi Red North

Please don't depart. The trouble is if you say things like
To them Labour looks shapeless, nondescript and vacillating.

Why?

Becuase it is.
it doesn't leave the rest of us anywhere to go. The point is if you respect others' views and then they'll respect yours. But your view isn't de facto correct. It's your view.
Bit nonplussed by this - as I thought I had responded very directly to Rednorth - engaging with the idea of what Labour could do to improve their 'offer' and agreeing that it needed a better narrative - citing Mark Ferguson's suggestions - and Willow came in after me with more points along that line.

Certainly didn't think I was being tribally closed.
Your writing is open-minded & fair. I can't fault any of our responses to Rednorth. I sincerely hope the best for those who're unable to support the Labour party. Ohso wrote an exceptionally fine post within the last hour. You'll know it. It's excellent.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ben Quinn ‏@BenQuinn75 1h1 hour ago
Peter Oborne on #C4news 'I'm speaking for the vast majority of Telegraph staff in saying we have no confidence at all in the Telegraph CEO'

Oborne: "And I would go further than that… We have no confidence in the Barclay brothers owning the Telegraph' #c4news
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

giselle97 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
giselle97 wrote: I'd like to Tweet that letter but, as with all of the Labour Press announcements, there is no Tweet shortcut or proper Share. What does everyone else do in that instance pleas?
This any use?

Thanks .... but that's the same as the web link, isn't it? I can't find a "share" function anywhere on it. Does that mean I have to type an appropriate tweet and then just copy in the link? That is "Here's a letter from Balls to Osborne":
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1112761 ... ge-osborne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here -
it's the 'never miss a Labour post' & 'Follow' outbox url link

https://www.tumblr.com/register/follow/labourpress" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

I read the Oborne article and, other than the controversy, I'm sitting here nearly vomiting at the "other planet" attitude of his "class". How bloody patronising. Sorry.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rednorth wrote:I see ex-Labour supporter Noel Gallagher is quoted today as 'not knowing what Labour stands for anymore'. Yesterday it was staunch Labourites Ant & Dec saying the same thing. Okay, these people aren't brains of Britain but they are examples of what I find over and and over again. Ordinary people, in temperament if not in means, and of modest political commitment (ie: not party men) are simply not enthused or inspired enough to win Labour the next election. To them Labour looks shapeless, nondescript and vacillating.

Why?

Becuase it is.

If level-pegging sounds like a success given we're still not far on from the crisis, remember this is the worst recovery in 300 years, and taking place against against a backdrop of the end of the NHS & Welfare State and a thoroughly discredited capital class. A left of centre party should be waltzing home in such circumstances.

You can't just blame it all on the media, the media has always been hostile to Labour but for the Blair years.

Where the fuck is Cruddas and his policy review? has it been consigned to the dustbin of history?
Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 7h 7 hours ago
Here’s me for @commentisfree on how Labour’s campaign could sharpen things up in the final 80 days http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... d-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Some of the points and suggestions in his piece are useful ... I think your 'shapeless' probably fits with this para:
Now Labour is swimming in bits and pieces of policy – but the problem now is that it lacks a cohesive narrative that frames those policies in something bigger. Labour needs to answer the question, “What will Britain look like after five years of a Miliband government?” The Tories already have their one word answer “chaos”, but what is Labour’s? Fairer? Safer? Kinder? If people don’t know what exactly Miliband wants the country to look like, then the Tories will find it easier to paint a vote for Labour as a “risk”.
I'm going to be racking my brain for the one (or perhaps two, three or four) word answer I'd like to see.
Personally I hate slogans. They don't mean a thing.

Actions not words.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:Dale Vince being patronised by Jon Snow was reminded he had purchased a castle 2 years ago. Did he mind paying the mansion tax ?
Vince: Not at all, I don't object to it because I think the better off among us has a duty to pay more and if there's a choice between that & families being able to afford to feed their children, I know which I'm going to choose. I think the rise of food banks in our country is a disgrace in the last few years and we need to do something about it.

Snow: You have a large number of windows, do you have a receipt off your window cleaner ?

Vince: (laughing) honestly Jon, I don't know

Snow: Do you perceive Labour as having a problem with business

Vince: No, I don't actually. I think that's something that's a bit of a media stereotype. If you look at what Labour are saying about business, they're saying some sensible things.
Then the interview is cut off. No thank you Dale, no kiss my ass Dale, no nothing !

C4 news is almost as bloody atrocious as all the others !

The quotes above are exactly what was asked & the replies given. IMO Mr Vince has more integrity about him than all our media class put together.
Unfortunately Mr Cable's integrity was what convinced me to vote LibDem last time.

Bit of a bummer that!
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

I think this from Ephemerid is surely an FTN tweet:
Not only is Cameron's Britannia waiving the rules, Britons will ever be slaves.
And mbc1955 is another candidate:
Because the plebs are finally going to learn their place, and they're never going to get above themselves again.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Rednorth wrote:I see ex-Labour supporter Noel Gallagher is quoted today as 'not knowing what Labour stands for anymore'. Yesterday it was staunch Labourites Ant & Dec saying the same thing. Okay, these people aren't brains of Britain but they are examples of what I find over and and over again. Ordinary people, in temperament if not in means, and of modest political commitment (ie: not party men) are simply not enthused or inspired enough to win Labour the next election. To them Labour looks shapeless, nondescript and vacillating.

Why?

Becuase it is.

If level-pegging sounds like a success given we're still not far on from the crisis, remember this is the worst recovery in 300 years, and taking place against against a backdrop of the end of the NHS & Welfare State and a thoroughly discredited capital class. A left of centre party should be waltzing home in such circumstances.

You can't just blame it all on the media, the media has always been hostile to Labour but for the Blair years.

Where the fuck is Cruddas and his policy review? has it been consigned to the dustbin of history?
The media was often hostile in the Blair years too, at least from when Cameron pitched up and looked like the nice bloke they live next door too.

Left of centre parties haven't done very well in most places. Labour's doing pretty well.
I suspect one of the main reasons the attack dogs of Fleet St weren't quite so savage with Blair was thanks to Alistair Campbell.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote:Dale Vince being patronised by Jon Snow was reminded he had purchased a castle 2 years ago. Did he mind paying the mansion tax ?
Vince: Not at all, I don't object to it because I think the better off among us has a duty to pay more and if there's a choice between that & families being able to afford to feed their children, I know which I'm going to choose. I think the rise of food banks in our country is a disgrace in the last few years and we need to do something about it.

Snow: You have a large number of windows, do you have a receipt off your window cleaner ?

Vince: (laughing) honestly Jon, I don't know

Snow: Do you perceive Labour as having a problem with business

Vince: No, I don't actually. I think that's something that's a bit of a media stereotype. If you look at what Labour are saying about business, they're saying some sensible things.
Then the interview is cut off. No thank you Dale, no kiss my ass Dale, no nothing !

The quotes above are exactly what was asked & the replies given. IMO Mr Vince has more integrity about him than all our media class put together.
Unfortunately Mr Cable's integrity was what convinced me to vote LibDem last time.

Bit of a bummer that!
Different Vince Ohso. The one being interviewed is the Ecotricity boss who gave a large donation to Labour last week. I totally agree with you about Vince Cable's integrity lapse being a bit of a bummer though. :D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

giselle97 wrote:I read the Oborne article and, other than the controversy, I'm sitting here nearly vomiting at the "other planet" attitude of his "class". How bloody patronising. Sorry.
Well, yeah, Giselle, I agree, for goodness' sake, the man is a Tory. He's probably not given that up for sure. It probably broke his heart having to concede Ed Miliband is a fine statesman in one of his last articles - apologies for not having the link at hand - really, it was a fine article about Miliband but I bet he wished he could find his equal within the Tory ranks. He can't.

I received your information about a confirmation e-mail for the meeting.

xx
JA

P.S. Is that Labour Press link a help at all?

https://www.tumblr.com/register/follow/labourpress" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

giselle97 wrote:I think this from Ephemerid is surely an FTN tweet:
Because the plebs are finally going to learn their place, and they're never going to get above themselves again.
You deserve a special post of thanks for picking out those two superb quotes - giselle. So thanks.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Rednorth wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:

Why?

Becuase it is.

Those staunch labourites Ant and Dec voted Tory in 2010, and in the same article they said they could not see Miliband as PM, they also rubbished Cameron. Today we have the Church of England, the so called 'Conservative Party at Prayer' openly attacking a Tory PM. Which of those do you think is more significant?

Yesterday you were complaining that all Labour did was announce policies. Those policies are the results of the policy review. Two documents have been published on the review, One Nation Economy and One Nation Society. They're online, look them up. It frankly doesn't take much research
They voted Tory for the one and only time in 2010 after a lifetime of voting Labour and describing themselves as 'staunch Labour'. Allow them one lapse, do, this isn't the Petrograd Soviet. Despite disliking Cameron and not wanting to vote Tory again, they couldn't see what Labour were offering.

I didn't comment on the Church of England. I don't see the point's relevance here. Is it more important than Ant and Dec, frankly I doubt it given the habits of today's digital congregations, but even if it is, so what? it's not going to vote Labour, and that was the point of my post.

To say I complained that all Labour did was announce policies is a silly simplification of my post. I complained they released policies without (seemingly) a coherent overall narrative, and that the presentation of those announcements was piecemeal and amateurish.

My question about the policy review was rhetorical. The review was trumpeted at the time as signaling a new direction for the party in the wake of Blairism. For it to live up to that and impact on the party's election prospects it needed to be consistent, substantial, and profound. It should have been the moment when the party shifted the focus on to its core policies, and announced in suitably grandiose fashion, not a daily dribble of policies to a backdrop of reheated 19th century one-nation Tory slogans.

After a few posts, I see this forum is somewhat tribalist and less interested in discussing Labour's election prospects and how they could be improved so much as a back-slapping echo chamber. By all means carry on. Despite the kind of global capitalist catastrophe that was supposed to usher in an epoch of socialism, the nominally left wing party can't scrape together a decent election poll lead.

After the election, slapping yourself on the back will be all that's left. Sadly, many of us will be picking up bodies as a consequence.

I have to say,RedNorth, that I have a lot of sympathy - and some agreement - with your point of view.

The policy "consultation" on YourBritain is a case in point - I thought that the idea was that if your submission got support, as mine did, you would at least have that submission acknowledged if not discussed further. Didn't happen.

Yes, there are policies and yes, we can have a look at them online. But I think it's very unfair to blame to media for everything.
I appreciate there is anti-Labour bias, but even Ed (who is doing better, to be fair) makes conflicting statements.

He said, very clearly, that the Independent Living Fund would stay under Labour. His Disabilities Minister, Kate Green, told the Disability News Service that no, actually, it is not Labour's policy to keep the ILF and she wants to see better social care etc. etc.
So who's right? The leader or his minister?

There is a fair bit of this going on - and what bothers me most of all is that it gives the incoherent impression RedNorth says. This is especially true on the subject of social security, not a lot of detail and what there is - bedroom tax excepted - is confused.
Nothing on PIP, a vague claim to "reform" the WCA, but it seems the Work Programme is staying (maybe) but the ILF isn't (maybe) and Universal Credit may or may not be "rescued" etc. etc.
I appreciate that if Labour get into government they'll have one hell of a mess to clean up - but the lack of a clear idea what they stand for makes me feel as though they will not be bold and commit themselves to either scrapping anything (beyond bedroom tax) or actually doing anything to make claimant's lives better than they are now.

I've also got to say that accusations of tribalism here aren't new. We've lost people through it, and every now and then it crops up again. Perhaps we should have a little look at ourselves - there's no smoke without fire.
I've taken breaks from here because of it - I think there is an element of it creeping in again, and I don't like it.

That's all.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Peter Oborne on #C4news 'I'm speaking for the vast majority of Telegraph staff in saying we have no confidence at all in the Telegraph CEO'

Oborne: "And I would go further than that… We have no confidence in the Barclay brothers owning the Telegraph' #c4news
You can watch the interview here: http://www.channel4.com/news/peter-obor ... y-brothers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@Rednorth:
Sadly, many of us will be picking up bodies as a consequence.
I think we should liken the last five years to war.

For weeks and months after an armistice people continue to die from injuries sustained during the hostilities. There are some that never regain full health.

Cameron has a lot to answer for.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Rednorth wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: Those staunch labourites Ant and Dec voted Tory in 2010, and in the same article they said they could not see Miliband as PM, they also rubbished Cameron. Today we have the Church of England, the so called 'Conservative Party at Prayer' openly attacking a Tory PM. Which of those do you think is more significant?

Yesterday you were complaining that all Labour did was announce policies. Those policies are the results of the policy review. Two documents have been published on the review, One Nation Economy and One Nation Society. They're online, look them up. It frankly doesn't take much research
They voted Tory for the one and only time in 2010 after a lifetime of voting Labour and describing themselves as 'staunch Labour'. Allow them one lapse, do, this isn't the Petrograd Soviet. Despite disliking Cameron and not wanting to vote Tory again, they couldn't see what Labour were offering.

I didn't comment on the Church of England. I don't see the point's relevance here. Is it more important than Ant and Dec, frankly I doubt it given the habits of today's digital congregations, but even if it is, so what? it's not going to vote Labour, and that was the point of my post.

To say I complained that all Labour did was announce policies is a silly simplification of my post. I complained they released policies without (seemingly) a coherent overall narrative, and that the presentation of those announcements was piecemeal and amateurish.

My question about the policy review was rhetorical. The review was trumpeted at the time as signaling a new direction for the party in the wake of Blairism. For it to live up to that and impact on the party's election prospects it needed to be consistent, substantial, and profound. It should have been the moment when the party shifted the focus on to its core policies, and announced in suitably grandiose fashion, not a daily dribble of policies to a backdrop of reheated 19th century one-nation Tory slogans.

After a few posts, I see this forum is somewhat tribalist and less interested in discussing Labour's election prospects and how they could be improved so much as a back-slapping echo chamber. By all means carry on. Despite the kind of global capitalist catastrophe that was supposed to usher in an epoch of socialism, the nominally left wing party can't scrape together a decent election poll lead.

After the election, slapping yourself on the back will be all that's left. Sadly, many of us will be picking up bodies as a consequence.
Forgive me for trying to debate this, but over the last few weeks you've made a series of posts which are basically rants against Labour, largely without any substantial facts or sources to back them up, and which largely follow the Tory/rightwing press presentation of Labour. I'd love to see suggestions about how Labour could break through, and I don't regard the party as perfect by any means - far from it as I think my lengthy response to you yesterday testifies.

As to the point about Labour releasing policies, I don't recall the exact words but it was something along the lines of 'it's just piecemeal policy announcements'. This was presented without any context or evidence as to exactly what you were talking about. If you want to do that, fine, but you weren't giving much to work with. I argued that this wasn't entirely piecemeal yesterday and again this meme follows that of the rightwing press - they used to say 'Labour has no policies' and when that became patently untrue they started to say 'Labour has a mess of policies that don't hang together'.

The point about the church was to counter the importance that Ant and Dec seem to be being afforded. This is the established church, led by people who sit in the upper chamber of parliament, and they've made the first open intervention in politics since 1985. Keep banging on about Ant and Dec if you like. Bear in mind they were first eligible to vote in a GE in 1997 so a 25% record of voting Tory hardly constitutes staunch Labour, considering that nearly a third of the electorate still managed to find it in their hearts to vote Labour in 2010.

I'm happy to discuss Labour's election prospects - what I won't do is blandly agree with a one-sided post that's just shouting about how crap the party is.

Evening to everyone, especially the newcomers (even Hugo.....)

Bit of a long absence (been visiting my local HSBC branch in Geneva.....only kidding, although my wife has her pension with one of the big private banks - it was the only one who could do the transfer under QROPs. They do very nice cakes though....)

Anyway I digress, I thank Robert for his post above as I too am perplexed by this continued wittering of those of the supposed left about the Labour Party

The points I would like to make are

No-one, I repeat no-one who considers themselves 'staunch Labour' would ever vote Tory. LibDem (pre-Clegg), Green, SNP etc I can understand but the Tories - never!

I can understand some people buying the MSM narrative but that is because they are not intellectually curious enough to understand what is at stake and what the fact are. People who do this are entitled to their view but had also better be ready for a bit of a hard time if they share those opinions with people who do have this knowledge

I, personally, am a Miliband fan - and to be honest in UK Politics under FPTP we have a choice of Labour or the Tories - there may be a coalition that helps to improve the policies of one or another but is it a risk worth taking? Some voted LibDem not believing they would ever throw their lot in with the Tories, and what games would the Greens or SNP play in reality!

I would ask RedNorth what he would prefer over a Labour Government in 2015, even if his suppositions are correct? A continued Tory Government because that is what you will get?

I would also ask him to reflect on where he gets his views on Labour from? RobertSnozers has provided links that suggest his dismissal of Labour's policies is premature and that there is substance and narrative there. Not perfect you can be assured but not the disaster him and the Cool Britannia brigade (who seem only to have voted for Blair and Cameron - hardly a great example of socialist credentials) make them out to be.

I would ask him also to think of why, if Miliband, is so poor the media and the wealthy are so worried about him? Why will Cameron not debate him? Perhaps it is because they are scared that he may actually challenge the right-wing consensus in Government for the first time in 35 years (discounting a few years in the Blair time before he went a bit mad)

I am sorry if I am coming across a bit short-tempered but sniping like this gets me a bit fed up - mainly because it is lazy and has not back-up. If you, and others disagree ideologically with the Labour Party then fine but think on that a petty and lazy decision the consequences will be 5 more years of the most heinous, ill-principled, vindictive, corrupt, empty and vile Government we have ever seen (worse even than Thatcher in my view) and I for one will not be at all happy with people who bring that to be!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Ephemerid

Thoughtful post. It's been a hard five years. I get scared sometimes. Today was a good day. I wasn't frightened. When I'm not frightened I can listen to the worst news & not be knocked over by it. When I'm afraid, if I fall I may stay there awhile.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Why?

Becuase it is.

Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 7h 7 hours ago
Here’s me for @commentisfree on how Labour’s campaign could sharpen things up in the final 80 days http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... d-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Some of the points and suggestions in his piece are useful ... I think your 'shapeless' probably fits with this para:
Now Labour is swimming in bits and pieces of policy – but the problem now is that it lacks a cohesive narrative that frames those policies in something bigger. Labour needs to answer the question, “What will Britain look like after five years of a Miliband government?” The Tories already have their one word answer “chaos”, but what is Labour’s? Fairer? Safer? Kinder? If people don’t know what exactly Miliband wants the country to look like, then the Tories will find it easier to paint a vote for Labour as a “risk”.
I'm going to be racking my brain for the one (or perhaps two, three or four) word answer I'd like to see.
Personally I hate slogans. They don't mean a thing.

Actions not words.
People do need something to rally round though. John Smith is always associated with his vow to close tax loopholes for me. Tony "Third Way" Blair, as I like to call him, speaks for itself. With Ed Miliband it's "standing up to powerful vested interests on behalf of ordinary people".

Now that's something worth rallying round and with events over the last couple of weeks it really does feel like it's starting to kick off a bit and as far as I'm concerned Ed is finding himself on the right side of the argument, challenging the status quo and cronyism, challenging the worth of the opinions of tax dodgers, reminding people that, just like the banks, business shouldn't be allowed to set government policy, that being pro-business isn't the same as doing big business' bidding, as the Tories seem to think. In other words, he's on a bit of a roll. Here's hoping he keeps cranking it up right through to the election.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Ignoring Frankie Howard, I can't think of any other no-bodies to match Ant and Dec in the comedy stakes (IMHO - but I don't "do" comedy excepting the divine BM, Victoria Wood and, what's her name, the Vicar lady?) and I don't know what I could say about the Gallagher "musicians" (ha, ha, ha) people to insult them adequately ...... so I'm just going to ignore them all!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ephemerid wrote:So. Now we know.

The DWP's Day One Support Trailblazer (as administered by Maximus) piloted in London is to be rolled out nationwide. I told you so.
From the first day of a JSA claim, 18-24 year-olds have been sent to work for 30h/week (mainly in nursing homes) to earn their benefits.
The "support" bit is 10 hours of supervised (allegedly) jobsearch help from Maximus.
There are about 190,000 "NEETs" that we know about; (there may be more who have chosen not to claim any benefits despite having no work, training, apprenticeship, or further education) these young people are the target. They will, if Cameron gets his way, be required to work under this scheme for 30 Hours a week for the wages equivalent of £1.43/hour. Slave labour.

We have Osborne poncing about in Europe, no doubt lecturing the Greeks on what they should be doing while his own policies collapse; we have OGRFG trotting about giving various speeches to his donor's workers but failing as ever to open himself to question; we have Shapps accusing Balls of never having run a business while Shapps' experience in the field is dubious at best and fraudulent at worst; and after a week in which not one Tory took responsibility for the HMRC while several Tories and senior civil servants lied blatantly about what was known in 2011. we have a nice new squirrel to enjoy.

If you are 18-24, obese, claiming benefit, you are that squirrel. Look at you! It's all your fault!

Young? Work for peanuts.
If you don't, you won't get any help in the 10 hours a week you've got to find a real job.

Fat? Go on a diet.
Carol Black (author of the report which led to the DWPs Health and Work Service) will be after you if you don't.

Claiming benefit? How dare you.
You will stop. We'll make you.Sooner or later, we'll find a way to stop your benefits.

In the process, all these youngsters (and all the other people working for free) replace paid workers. Who then have to.......work for free.

Slaves. Millions of them.
That is both outrageous and heartbreaking! And, currently, working mainly in nursing-homes for considerably less (half, even) than even the meagre and miserly apprentice-rate minimum wage of £2.73 per hour for anyone either under 19 or in their first year of an apprenticeship!! Almost the last people you want working in nursing-homes (or anywhere, really) are inexperienced and likely unwilling people on 'workfare'.

We're in dire straits in this country if this lot get anywhere near power come May 7th and seem to be being fire-hosed with their awful and inhumane plans on a daily basis. So much to fight against and so many plonkers, around the country, who think that they're wonderful – or who adore a the even more horribly far-right parties.

Saw someone (didn't catch the name) being interviewed on BBC News channel about this, earlier, who I think was from this organisation:

http://www.kvv.org.uk (Keep Volunteering Voluntary, twitter @keepvolvol )

The chap spoke very well referring always to Social Security, not 'Welfare.' So, do try to spread the word to any charities or voluntary organisations you know and encourage them to sign up to the 'keep volunteering voluntary agreement.' They also offer free paper-stickers and window-stickers, too.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

ephemerid wrote:
Rednorth wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: Those staunch labourites Ant and Dec voted Tory in 2010, and in the same article they said they could not see Miliband as PM, they also rubbished Cameron. Today we have the Church of England, the so called 'Conservative Party at Prayer' openly attacking a Tory PM. Which of those do you think is more significant?

I have to say,RedNorth, that I have a lot of sympathy - and some agreement - with your point of view.

The policy "consultation" on YourBritain is a case in point - I thought that the idea was that if your submission got support, as mine did, you would at least have that submission acknowledged if not discussed further. Didn't happen.

Yes, there are policies and yes, we can have a look at them online. But I think it's very unfair to blame to media for everything.
I appreciate there is anti-Labour bias, but even Ed (who is doing better, to be fair) makes conflicting statements.

He said, very clearly, that the Independent Living Fund would stay under Labour. His Disabilities Minister, Kate Green, told the Disability News Service that no, actually, it is not Labour's policy to keep the ILF and she wants to see better social care etc. etc.
So who's right? The leader or his minister?

There is a fair bit of this going on - and what bothers me most of all is that it gives the incoherent impression RedNorth says. This is especially true on the subject of social security, not a lot of detail and what there is - bedroom tax excepted - is confused.
Nothing on PIP, a vague claim to "reform" the WCA, but it seems the Work Programme is staying (maybe) but the ILF isn't (maybe) and Universal Credit may or may not be "rescued" etc. etc.
I appreciate that if Labour get into government they'll have one hell of a mess to clean up - but the lack of a clear idea what they stand for makes me feel as though they will not be bold and commit themselves to either scrapping anything (beyond bedroom tax) or actually doing anything to make claimant's lives better than they are now.

I've also got to say that accusations of tribalism here aren't new. We've lost people through it, and every now and then it crops up again. Perhaps we should have a little look at ourselves - there's no smoke without fire.
I've taken breaks from here because of it - I think there is an element of it creeping in again, and I don't like it.

That's all.

Can't really disagree with what you have put here about certain of the inconsistencies but the media is picking up on everything now - the danger is that Labour become too timid to say anything because it will get twisted by the media

I must admit I have never seen such a one-sided assault on a political party as I am seeing at the moment.....all because of the threat to the continued rape of the country by the rich and the fact that there may be some standards being brought to bear on the media

Oborne's comments today are a massive indictment from someone inside the camp - this is damning but will be ignored.

I am sorry if you think I am becoming 'tribal' but FPTP requires a certain amount of 'tribalism' and Labour will not win if we are not prepared to fight the Tories both intellectually and on the doorsteps - those who are past labour supporters sniping now after having voted for Blair - and then claiming that Miliband Labour is not left wing enough beggars belief to be honest - usually with very little to back it up

Of course not all is perfect and Labour continually shows timidity and weakness at times but this is a must win election in 2015 - the consequences of another 5 years of this corrupt and venal group are too much to contemplate.....and what will defeat bring to Labour, more Blairism...is that what we want?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

giselle97 wrote:Ignoring Frankie Howard, I can't think of any other no-bodies to match Ant and Dec in the comedy stakes (IMHO - but I don't "do" comedy excepting the divine BM, Victoria Wood and, what's her name, the Vicar lady?) and I don't know what I could say about the Gallagher "musicians" (ha, ha, ha) people to insult them adequately ...... so I'm just going to ignore them all!
Monty Python. I love Monty Python.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Bit of a bummer that!
Different Vince Ohso. The one being interviewed is the Ecotricity boss who gave a large donation to Labour last week. I totally agree with you about Vince Cable's integrity lapse being a bit of a bummer though. :D
:lol: I was scratching my head wondering what Vince Cable had to do with my post. I'm glad you made the link so I don't have to think too hard :lol:
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... ts-of-cuts

Lucy Glennon: what her life tells us about the real effects of cuts for disabled people
The writer and disability activist has died at the age of 29, having faced the excrutiating pain of her condition with bravery and humour. But she also had first-hand experience of how welfare rules are making life tougher for the most vulnerable
Thanks for putting up that link AH. That's the second article the G has put up about that funny, clever and beautiful young lady who has definitely gone too soon for those left behind.

Well worth the visit to the G.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I've been out since just after the Oborne story broke and it occurs to me...will all the usual suspects who like to shriek about Leveson being the biggest threat to a free press now admit that there might be a bigger threat -that of corporate vested interests?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
giselle97 wrote: I'd like to Tweet that letter but, as with all of the Labour Press announcements, there is no Tweet shortcut or proper Share. What does everyone else do in that instance pleas?
This any use?

They tend to send their own Tweets out. They do quite a lot.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

PorFavor wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Whoops - sorry about the double post. Dunno what happened there....
Send me a Private Message if you want any coaching.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Madness star Suggs ''furious'' that picture of him auctioned to raise cash for Tory General Election warchest
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... re-5181278
I should think so too.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I've been out since just after the Oborne story broke and it occurs to me...will all the usual suspects who like to shriek about Leveson being the biggest threat to a free press now admit that there might be a bigger threat -that of corporate vested interests?
Not a chance. Paypackets involved.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@ephe

Posts becoming too long to quote so please forgive this method of responding about the ILF.

KittyJones has the transcript of Ed's comments & I'm sorry but it looks like it was a Labour candidate that's said (wrongly) EM had promised to keep it.

https://kittysjones.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ving-fund/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: My dad's version.

The boy stood on the burning deck picking his nose like mad
He rolled the bogies in little balls
And flicked them at his dad.

Ta - boom
My Dad's:

The boy stood on the burning deck,
His pocket full of crackers.
A spark flew up his trouser leg,
And burned him on the knee
:o :lol: :lol: :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
giselle97 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
This any use?

They tend to send their own Tweets out. They do quite a lot.
Labour Press

https://www.tumblr.com/register/follow/labourpress
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ohsocynical wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Is it the Barclay brothers who bought property on and are trying to do a takeover of the island of Sark? No time to Google at the moment.

The very same ....
I thought it might be. There's a tale! I think they're aiming for Kingship.
I think this is the story you're thinking of:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jun/ ... newsletter

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jun/ ... sland-feud
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:I've been out since just after the Oborne story broke and it occurs to me...will all the usual suspects who like to shriek about Leveson being the biggest threat to a free press now admit that there might be a bigger threat -that of corporate vested interests?
Not a chance. Paypackets involved.
The Omerta will quietly let this story drop.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:I think this from Ephemerid is surely an FTN tweet:
I trawl FTN at lunchtime usually. If I can shorten some of the comments you nesters post on here so that they still make sense or have a good punch line, I put them on Twitter.

Ephie is a rich source.

Didn't post the plebs one though. I missed that.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:@ephe

Posts becoming too long to quote so please forgive this method of responding about the ILF.

KittyJones has the transcript of Ed's comments & I'm sorry but it looks like it was a Labour candidate that's said (wrongly) EM had promised to keep it.

https://kittysjones.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ving-fund/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many thanks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Ouch. Take that. :rock:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

FuriousGeorge wrote:I dont think putting the text on a message board is considered publishing, but I will remove it if the mods decide.
No biggie. As far as I'm concerned, it can stay unlessthe Torygraph's lawyers (or Oborne's) threaten us with a nuke. And I can't see them doing that, given its content and exposure elsewhere.