Wednesday 18th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 18th February 2015

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:No mention of Bristol W, then - now considered by some informed observers to have overtaken Norwich S as their best prospect of a second Green seat.

That omission doesn't make me so confident about the rest of their "analysis".
I concur. I do find it odd that there's even talk of a Green MP in East Anglia, given that it appears to be the most unsophisticated elecorate in the UK (thinking of Lincolnshire here, mainly, plus the various seaside towns that have gone to seed over the years, and are potentially UKIP bait). Perhaps Norwich really is more sophisticated than I give it credit for.
Norwich is probably a bit different to the rest of the county. It's way bigger than anywhere else. Property prices are seriously high.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Is this breaking news? Didn't see it on Twitter. Cameron has agreed to a TV debate because the broadcasters revised the plans.
He gets to have his crew hollering him on & shouting over the other debaters without censure?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Have we had this one?

Ian retweeted
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 8 hrs8 hours ago
New TNS poll
LAB 35% (+2),
CON 28% (+1),
UKIP 18% (0),
GREEN 7%
LIB DEM 6% (0),
Hours ago by flag signals - thanks for posting it - transmission seems to be suffering from interference.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Here's the link to the Labour Pledge for Animals document.

http://b.3cdn.net/labouruk/1c898776c426 ... 6vj1eg.pdf

Very glad to see issues like use of snares and protecting birds of prey are in there alongside defending the hunting ban and stopping badger culling. They are also pledging to sort out bad puppy farming practices and lead the fight against global animal cruelty.

This is such a clear area differentiation between Labour and other parties.

(I know 51A thinks the cry to devolve hunting powers to Wales came from the Lib Dem MP in Brecon & Radnorshire - but it didn't, honest. It originated from the Tories - namely Simon Hart MP, former head of the Countryside Alliance - and is being promoted by Stephen Crabb as Welsh Secretary. Crabb claims Plaid supports it too (Telegraph article last week) - they haven't denied that yet - and haven't responded to requests to clarify their position yet. On past form they will support it.)
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:No mention of Bristol W, then - now considered by some informed observers to have overtaken Norwich S as their best prospect of a second Green seat.

That omission doesn't make me so confident about the rest of their "analysis".
I concur. I do find it odd that there's even talk of a Green MP in East Anglia, given that it appears to be the most unsophisticated elecorate in the UK (thinking of Lincolnshire here, mainly, plus the various seaside towns that have gone to seed over the years, and are potentially UKIP bait). Perhaps Norwich really is more sophisticated than I give it credit for.
Big university. Lots of Londoners and others have moved there and surrounding areas over the past two decades looking for an alternative lifestyle. I'd say it's pretty different in nature and demographic than the average Lincolnshire town.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

NHS misses urgent cancer therapy targets for whole year - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31518817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm annoyed that this type of news isn't unexpected news.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Michael Meacher writing in the Morning Star is brilliant, thank you, ErnstRemarx. Okay, there's at least one solid Labour party MP consistently asking, neoliberalism as an economic system, what is it good for? Currently, not anything good at all.
18 Feb 2015 Wednesday
Morning Star

The HSBC tax avoidance scandal shows just where Tory priorities lie,
writes MICHAEL MEACHER

And he doesn't just do theory. He's got those facts proving so damning to current government as well.
In the last five years HMRC tax inspection staff have been cut back by nearly 40 per cent, even though the evidence indicates that for every £1 spent in 2013-4 by the unit dealing with the UK’s largest and most complex cases, an additional £97 was recovered.

The Serious Fraud Office has seen its budget cut to a mere £35 million, which can only be explained as a deliberate, and successful, effort to make it incapable of taking on banks and their big legal and accountancy accomplices.
Thank you for the links. I can't know what I don't learn somewhere.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:NHS misses urgent cancer therapy targets for whole year - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31518817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm annoyed that this type of news isn't unexpected news.
Mortality rates. They'll increase due to this. What a mess. It didn't have to happen this way.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:Michael Meacher writing in the Morning Star is brilliant, thank you, ErnstRemarx. Okay, there's at least one solid Labour party MP consistently asking, neoliberalism as an economic system, what is it good for? Currently, not anything good at all.
18 Feb 2015 Wednesday
Morning Star

The HSBC tax avoidance scandal shows just where Tory priorities lie,
writes MICHAEL MEACHER

And he doesn't just do theory. He's got those facts proving so damning to current government as well.
In the last five years HMRC tax inspection staff have been cut back by nearly 40 per cent, even though the evidence indicates that for every £1 spent in 2013-4 by the unit dealing with the UK’s largest and most complex cases, an additional £97 was recovered.

The Serious Fraud Office has seen its budget cut to a mere £35 million, which can only be explained as a deliberate, and successful, effort to make it incapable of taking on banks and their big legal and accountancy accomplices.
Thank you for the links. I can't know what I don't learn somewhere.
Toynbee was scathing about the heavy cuts to HMRC back in 2010, predicting the inevitable outcome.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory MP goes doorknocking in the wrong constituency
http://labourlist.org/2015/02/tory-mp-g ... stituency/
Lets let local resident Ruth Rosenthal explain what happened next:

“A young woman knocked on my door and told me she was there on behalf of my MP, David Burrowes from Enfield Southgate. She argued with me when I said that Bush Hill Park is part of Edmonton and the MP is Andy Love. It wasn’t until I told her who I am that she gave up.”
Oh yes, we forgot to mention – as well as being a Labour activist, Ruth is the wife of local Labour MP Andy Love:
“I told her that she was half a mile from Enfield Southgate. I just assumed that she was on her own and as she didn’t have a list of residents and she had made a mistake. A few minutes later my next door neighbour phoned to say that Burrowes has knocked on her door, handed her a leaflet and told her that he was her MP. She of course put him right. He then took the leaflet back. I then looked out of the window and sure enough Burrowes with the young women were just leaving the street.”
:lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jack Maidment ‏@jrmaidment 4h4 hours ago
A bid to cancel Gloucestershire's £500m incinerator has failed by 27 votes to 24. Ukip supported the Tories.
What's this?

http://www.forestofdeanukip.org.uk/how- ... ey-part-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Secondly UKIP councillors also voted to reject the establishment of a huge waste incinerator at Javelin Park. Councillor Alan Preest said that both this project and landfill were expensive and environmentally unsound. UKIP were in favour of exploring a Biomass Degradable option which will prove cheaper and better for the environment. The motion against the Incinerator was carried.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labours Plan To Protect Animals.jpg
Labours Plan To Protect Animals.jpg (70.32 KiB) Viewed 12424 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ben goldacre ‏@bengoldacre 17m17 minutes ago
A week after the story is all over the newspapers, Swiss prosecutors raid HSBC offices. Shouting "surprise!" no doubt http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw6vLf2yA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Guardian opinions page on the left....I think. I'll check.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

It was the comment accompanying the Cartoon. Brian Adcock the artist.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Graun cartoon

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ge-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:It was the comment accompanying the Cartoon. Brian Adcock the artist.
I imagine that we would have seen lots of articles if Cameron had agreed to the debates so I suspect that Adcock piece was just his representation of how the line-up would look in the event of them taking place.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: When these paper sponsored polls take place for YouGov, do they typically have any input into the methodology regarding weightings, format of questions etc or is it for YouGov to decide?
I have no idea, tbh - you could always go over to UKPR and ask Anthony Wells that ;)
I asked that question some months back but Mr Wells ignored it ;)
That flags up credibility issues for me. That is, when methodology isn't made clear, I can't trust the outcome of those reports. Really, that is regardless of political party affiliation.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:It was the comment accompanying the Cartoon. Brian Adcock the artist.
I imagine that we would have seen lots of articles if Cameron had agreed to the debates so I suspect that Adcock piece was just his representation of how the line-up would look in the event of them taking place.
I thought the Twittersphere was quiet.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 4m4 minutes ago
I see @tom_watson's asking Teleg to publish Con smearmails " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … I heard this independently mid Jan http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... est-friend" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Have we seen Ben Jennings? It's from a couple of days ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... al-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited to remove artist's work located on the website linked above.
Last edited by citizenJA on Wed 18 Feb, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Dunt retweeted
Alex Andreou ‏@sturdyAlex 13m13 minutes ago
More OUCHIES. MT @OborneTweets: An interesting analysis of the Telegraph's assertion that my claims are unfounded: http://blogs.kcl.ac.uk/policywonkers/wa ... c-scandal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
It's more than interesting - it's very very illuminating and decisive.

Wish we had the data gathering and analysing tool referred to in the piece ... we could do some interesting work on political interviews.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I detest those billboards & phone covering posters.
Really doesn't say 'society' to me.
It says, 'Government doesn't trust YOU, VAT & PAYE tax payer, which is a howler because YOU are the only ones paying tax...oops'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote:
What a nasty, depressing little cartoon that is :(
Not up to Martin's standard by a long chalk. Not even funny never mine insightful.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Well, it's been a day since Oborne's resignation and so I thought I'd take a look at the people who were most vociferous in their outrage at Leveson and what it meant for a free press.

So have we had the same outrage shown at the DT and their craven attitude towards corporates from the following?

Breitbart
Delingpole
T.Young
Spiked
Brendan O'Neill
Frank Furedi

Nope.

Not a damn thing. Only Gudio Fawkes to his credit has shown any interest. The rest - not a single word.

:toss:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Couple forced to live apart after 65 YEARS because of savage care cuts
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/co ... er-5186412
Very sad story - and will get all the more common if we don't sort out the ludicrous divisions between health and social care provision and spending. Wasting a huge amount of the health budget with this poor lady stuck in hospital ... for the sake of far less money to provide the necessary home care. Not to mention the terrible denial of human rights here ... yes, I consider it that bad ... denial of the right to family life.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 4m4 minutes ago
6 years ago Guido Fawkes had emails about a Labour Smear campaign. Now says he has them for a Conservative Smear campaign. Will he publish?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote: I imagine that we would have seen lots of articles if Cameron had agreed to the debates so I suspect that Adcock piece was just his representation of how the line-up would look in the event of them taking place.
Not up to Martin's standard by a long chalk. Not even funny never mine insightful.
Well, I can take consolation in knowing I wasn't the only one thinking the same. Nasty, depressing...indeed. I'm sorry for it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 4m4 minutes ago
6 years ago Guido Fawkes had emails about a Labour Smear campaign. Now says he has them for a Conservative Smear campaign. Will he publish?
I'm getting confused. I imagine that's precisely what evil-doers want. Please know, Yahyah, you're not confusing me, it's the news information coming out that's doing it.
xx
JA
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote: I imagine that we would have seen lots of articles if Cameron had agreed to the debates so I suspect that Adcock piece was just his representation of how the line-up would look in the event of them taking place.
It's not Martin! I'm so relieved!
Brian Adcock
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Nice to see Neil Kinnock wading in to back up Ed on the Mansion Tax:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31522815
But Lord Kinnock defended the proposal for a "mansion tax", saying it would not be a problem for the very wealthy.

"For the people who are asset-rich and very prosperous, a couple of hundred quid a month isn't going to make a difference. They would spend that on lunch," he told the Financial Times.
At least Kinnock seems to have remembered which party he's in. Perhaps someone could remind Abbott and co. Do these London Labour MPs really think their votes come from the owners of £2m properties?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Meanwhile unemployment stats enter some seriously surreal territory - does anyone actually believe these figures any more?
http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/new ... ref=twtrec
Employment in Wales increased by 3,000 in the three months from October to December 2014, according to the latest figures from the Office of National Statistics.

Paradoxically, unemployment increased by 2,000 during the same period.
Go figure.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, Ohso!

Edited to delete the artwork done by another.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ge-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found on the website above.

love
JA
Last edited by citizenJA on Wed 18 Feb, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

citizenJA wrote:
884bdbe9-8b0a-4e50-8f85-8c32ec1bb000-1020x694111.jpg
Brian Adcock
Tuesday 17 February 2015

Agree it's a crap cartoon, but it made me smile that the insult under Sturgeon is that she is... a Nat.
Last edited by yahyah on Wed 18 Feb, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:Meanwhile unemployment stats enter some seriously surreal territory - does anyone actually believe these figures any more?
Employment in Wales increased by 3,000 in the three months from October to December 2014, according to the latest figures from the Office of National Statistics.

Go figure.
Increase in population?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Telegraph confirm the emails exist. Now David Cameron can review them.

https://medium.com/@tom_watson/telegrap ... -29deac11e
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Meanwhile unemployment stats enter some seriously surreal territory - does anyone actually believe these figures any more?

Go figure.
Increase in population?
Heard on the radio that the school leaving age increased last year [think it was actually a Labour policy being introduced] but that must have had an effect on unemployment figures since?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Graun cartoon

Ah, I see. I'm not going to look as it would involve breaking my Graun boycott, but it sounds as though I'm not missing much
You're not. It's not up to Rowson or Bell's standards.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
Brian Adcock
Tuesday 17 February 2015

edited to note that I'll delete it or an administrator may take it out if need be. It's not Martin's work.
Quite a while back FTN emailed Rowson and Bell to as the position regarding showing their cartoons on the site.

Rowson said he didn't mind as long as it wasn't too often. Bell never replied so usually we don't display the whole cartoon, just give the link...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Go figure.
Increase in population?
Heard on the radio that the school leaving age increased last year [think it was actually a Labour policy being introduced] but that must have had an effect on unemployment figures since?
Not sure. Did many leave at 16 before?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good(insert applicable time of day), everyone.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:Good(insert applicable time of day), everyone.
But now we don't know if you're arriving or leaving ;-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Go figure.
Increase in population?
I suppose increase in population must explain it, but it's still mighty odd. As to the school leaving age, it was a Labour policy, as you say, which has been completely ignored by the Coalition as if it wasn't even happening. All their plans for new exams etc seemed to ignore the change and hardly anyone mentions it. I've tried googling it to find out when the leaving age was raised only to struggle to find something definitive. I guess if you're a parent of a child at secondary school you'll know, but it's a bit of a mystery for everyone else! Anyway, if it has had an impact on employment numbers at any point, it hasn't been widely commented upon as far as I know. I might look into it a bit more.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Brian Adcock
Tuesday 17 February 2015

edited to note that I'll delete it or an administrator may take it out if need be. It's not Martin's work.
Quite a while back FTN emailed Rowson and Bell to as the position regarding showing their cartoons on the site.

Rowson said he didn't mind as long as it wasn't too often. Bell never replied so usually we don't display the whole cartoon, just give the link...
That is because Martin is a cool dude!

Evening all.

Same reply from the BBC, quelle surprise. And IPSO won't proceed on my complain against the Mail ref. the references to the Dowler family; they are still looking into the complaint about accuracy, but I expect it to result in a whitewash comparable to the BBC email.

Re. the "good morning/good night" thing, does this cover it sufficiently?

[youtube]PWcZKrP2sDU[/youtube]

I hope Ed sues Odious, would serve the little weasel right. And I doubt Dave, Gideon et al were too impressed with that, as they are so much more vulnerable to those kinds of criticisms.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good(insert applicable time of day), everyone.
Should I give you a goodnight send off with sweet dreams, pour you a bourbon or orange juice with champagne?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Re school leaving age.

It was to be 17 from 2013 and 18 from 2015.

I have found references to the original Labour plans but have found nothing about what has happened regarding this since the Coalition came to power. Both the Conservatives and Libdems opposed the policy to raise the leaving age when Labour first introduced the idea in 2007. It was due to come into force in 2013. Did the Coalition reverse it? I'm actually wondering now if it ever actually happened.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4m4 minutes ago
New Survation Scottish poll for D Record due at 10pm. Last month SNP 20% ahead. What will tonight bring?
Strap yourselves in.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Seems Kevin Maguire knew of some plot as well
15 January, 2015

"Squeaky bum time for staffers at the Conservative campaign headquarters. The word is that a cell of David Cameron’s stormtroopers has been speculating which prominent Labour figures could be implicated in allegations of historic child abuse. I hear that an email list has been compiled, should a dirty trick be needed. But electronic messages are dangerous. The compilation of supposed paedophiles was, mutters a snout, inadvertently copied to a Daily Telegraph reporter. Cue panic at CCHQ. This email would make Damian McBride’s notorious memos seem like fraternal greetings."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... est-friend" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nt-britain
There will be a concerted effort to rubbish all this as uncosted, statist and anti-business. The truth is almost the opposite – it’s a feasible programme that will leave Britain with stronger firms, large and small; and more empowered, skilled workers. Sure, it could go further. But whatever else, it is not trivial. It would change Britain, in my view, for the better.
I missed the above yesterday. Will Hutton on Labour's economic policy document. It all sounds very positive.....if Labour could just get the majority to do it.....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

openDemocracy @openDemocracy · 4h 4 hours ago
Hi @Telegraph, please stop accusing us & @Obornetweets of inaccuracy unless you can point to specific errors: https://opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/ad ... Gs.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … thanks