Friday 20th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Re: Friday 20th February 2015

Post by mbc1955 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:"A unique unprecedented coalition of people who would like to break up our country. The only people who can stop them are us, the people in this room."

Who said that?
Judge Dredd?
The truth ferret speaks!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

mbc1955 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:"A unique unprecedented coalition of people who would like to break up our country. The only people who can stop them are us, the people in this room."

Who said that?
Judge Dredd?
Close ;-)

Actually not very close...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Nope not Judge Dredd, not Ian Paisley - keep guessing...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:

Who said that?
Judge Dredd?
Close ;-)

Actually not very close...
Ian Paisley at an Ulster Unionist seance?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Hey where'd you go Hobie Joe?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear...

http://www.ukipcornwall.org/ukip-readmore2.php#welfare
UKIP will continue it's support for Grammar schools.
:D

Fat lot of good a grammar education did them!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Sorry, got a little PF'd in my posting.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Ok, if it's not Judge Dredd, it's got to be Abelard Snazz, the man with the two-storey brain!
The truth ferret speaks!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Hobiejoe wrote:Sorry, got a little PF'd in my posting.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

So in fact it was David Cameron today in Scotland referring to the SNP and Labour.

For me it has a sinister, fascist tone. I really don't like it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-31551626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I was on the doorstep in Fishguard this morning. A lady answered the door to me and seemed disappointed I was canvassing for Labour. Then we got talking - and boy was she angry. She's a woman of a certain age and really pissed off with the Condems for their pension changes - she's losing out big time. After telling me she will be voting Labour she said she's waiting, hoping, for a Conservative canvasser so she can let rip at them. Would love to be there when she does - she has a list of their policies that's she's furious about.
Before I went to bed last night I read in our local paper that our new Tory candidate had been canvassing in the next valley - God knows why, they're all tories anyway. I didn't sleep very well so spent the waking time imagining what I'd say to him if he came here, where would I start?

Mentioned this to mr gilsey who said, start with the pothole at the end of the drive. :roll:

Funnily enough I didn't think of complaining about the pension changes, I did that at the time, wrote to Hague twice and the local paper.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@PaulfromYorkshire

Fascistic indeed.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Hey where'd you go Hobie Joe?
Literally? Norway.

Brought the sprogs here for snow, skiing, huskies and family time. Damn fine country until you buy a beer in a bar.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Hobiejoe wrote:
Literally? Norway.

Brought the sprogs here for snow, skiing, huskies and family time. Damn fine country until you buy a beer in a bar.
Wow. Sounds great. Yes understand the beer problem from time spent in Sweden ;-)
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:
Literally? Norway.

Wow. Sounds great. Yes understand the beer problem from time spent in Sweden ;-)
The good news is that you can get beer at upto 4.7% in shops and supermarkets cf 2.8% in Sweden, albeit at twice UK offie prices. And where the Swedes have Systembologet, similar in price to the UK, Norway has Vinmonopolet, about 50% more expensive. No wonder the hand luggage of our fellow travellers chinked so much.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RobertSnozers wrote:

Who said that?
John Connor
Well exactly.

Can you believe we have a Prime Minister who could utter such bilge?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cameron does have a point about the SNP. I think Miliband needs to rule out a Coalition with them, though not a confidence and supply arrangement with them or anyone else.

Someone who only 11% can even vote for being in government for somewhere they want to leave is pretty mindboggling in UK terms.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@ RR2, yahyah & Lady C

Thank you ladies. He's home with an almighty great wound because his tumour had dug into the gluteal muscle & was significantly bigger than any of us had expected. Whether it is malignant or not, we won't know until he goes for the follow up next Friday. In the meantime it's antibiotics & pain relief - in addition to being pampered, obviously ;)

Hope Musica is as comfortable as she can be Rebecca
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Cameron does have a point about the SNP. I think Miliband needs to rule out a Coalition with them, though not a confidence and supply arrangement with them or anyone else.

Someone who only 11% can even vote for being in government for somewhere they want to leave is pretty mindboggling in UK terms.
Hasn't Sturgeon already ruled coalition out?

The fact that Cameron's so scared of it is of real interest to me.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

pk1 wrote:@ RR2, yahyah & Lady C

Thank you ladies. He's home with an almighty great wound because his tumour had dug into the gluteal muscle & was significantly bigger than any of us had expected. Whether it is malignant or not, we won't know until he goes for the follow up next Friday. In the meantime it's antibiotics & pain relief - in addition to being pampered, obviously ;)

Likewise your boy pk. Glad he's home. It's touch and go with Musica I'm afraid - we'll see what the morning brings.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

an Dunt retweeted
Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole 15m15 minutes ago
They've stuck it on P1. Uncontainable rage from friends at the Telegraph tonight. Dam is going to break.
That Telegraph article is causing a storm.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Cameron does have a point about the SNP. I think Miliband needs to rule out a Coalition with them, though not a confidence and supply arrangement with them or anyone else.

Hasn't Sturgeon already ruled coalition out?

The fact that Cameron's so scared of it is of real interest to me.
He's not scared. It's the best thing the Tories (becoming an English nationalist party) can have. Would help the Tories out of the EU too.

Miliband should rule out Coalition as well as Sturgeon.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
an Dunt retweeted
They've stuck it on P1. Uncontainable rage from friends at the Telegraph tonight. Dam is going to break.
It's been noted that both the article about The guardian indulging in blurred lines between advertising and content, and the one about the Times suicides have "By Telegraph Reporter" as a byline.

They're lashing out blindly like a cornered animal right now.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

As we are doing the mighty Russian air force as an existential threat bollocks.....

This is from 2010 - source Wikipedia - source MoD

Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 60745.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People in need at risk of losing tax credits after being wrongly accused of cheating

Thousands unfairly hounded over tax credits by US services company working for HMRC
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
an Dunt retweeted
It's been noted that both the article about The guardian indulging in blurred lines between advertising and content, and the one about the Times suicides have "By Telegraph Reporter" as a byline.

They're lashing out blindly like a cornered animal right now.
I don't get the Telegraph thing, are they reporting news or just making shit up? Why is everybody so pissed off (other than the fact it is a clear case of fattening a squirrel).
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

DT probably think this sort of thing is "political correctness".

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Private sector jobs miracle.

Northants County Council outsource everything.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-31544256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 60220.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government accused of spending taxpayers' money on banners featuring Tory election slogans

The Government banners bear the Conservative slogan 'long term economic plan'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 60745.html

People in need at risk of losing tax credits after being wrongly accused of cheating

Thousands unfairly hounded over tax credits by US services company working for HMRC
That is yet again an appalling situation for thousands of people. I hope a huge stink is made about it in the run up to the election. Tax credits are claimed by an awful lot of working people ... it surely won't go unnoticed?

When we got to the informal 'audience with Stephen Crabb MP' yesterday evening it had already started and there was a very vocal table of people giving him a hard time about the pitiful pay, zero hours contracts, nil security and general lack of jobs locally. He tried to use the general spin line of them having created .... loads of jobs and 80% of them are full time and people are always better off in work. It simply didn't wash with the audience who told him back the reality - a care worker told him how much she earned an hour - £7 - and said that she is taxed not only on the little she earns but 80% of her widows pension is also taken away in tax. She said she is really struggling. Someone else told him straight that there were NO jobs at all the last time they went into the Cardigan job centre - that's right NONE - and there was one computer (yup, 1 computer) and all the telephones have now been removed. The job centre website he has to use (presume this is universal jobmatch) is worse than useless. He puts in jobs up to 15 miles - because that's about the max distance you could get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time around here - and he said it was extraordinary how the website decides that 15 miles extends to the other side of Swansea - a lot of very cynical laughter in the room. The jobs he sees on there are all commission only, Kleeneze, zero hours or minimum wage sessional or part time. Crabb claimed he didn't see or hear about this reality - he heard better, more positive news. Just about everyone in the audience expressed their disgust with how the majority of people were being treated by this government in comparison with bankers and big earning tax dodgers. He should know a bit more about the situation on the ground now.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Private sector jobs miracle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-31544256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well it will sure as heck reduce the pensions bill. Astoundingly awful.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

GetYou wrote:Meanwhile, in persecutionville...

https://speye.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/ ... se-victim/

Domestic Violence sanctuary rooms are now counted as bedrooms for the purposes of the bedroom tax (following a judicial review). Yeah, have that, spongers!
Not only that - if they move to get away from the bedroom tax - they will likely not get a safe room, or any extra safety features in the new smaller property
Quote : “She won’t have a steel door, she won’t have bulletproof glass, a fireproof letter box, a special link to 999”. When these features are installed, “you are told very clearly it’s a one off. You only get those adaptations once”.

Source: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... panic-room" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

HindleA wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 60220.html
The Conservative-controlled council claimed work to implement the "Next Generation Model" would see it explore how services can become "separate stand-alone organisations free from statutory restraints".
Yeah, those statutory restraints. They're far too legal for my liking.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

51A wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Private sector jobs miracle.

Well it will sure as heck reduce the pensions bill. Astoundingly awful.
And if those "mutuals" get taken over by the private sector *shrug* well, shit happens...
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

pk1 wrote:@ RR2, yahyah & Lady C

If it's of any help, I had a tumour on my wrist a few years ago, that too was deeper than they thought it was, but benign and apparently the benign ones often go deeper un-noticed because they don't attach to any significant organ or blood vessel so don't spread. So that could be good news. I hope it is for you.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

alan rusbridger ‏@arusbridger 13m13 minutes ago
.@MMacLennanTMG come on, Murdoch. If you guys can take down HSBC stories you can take down this, too
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

“Do tax evaders make your blood boil?” Jon Snow interviews Iain Duncan Smith | Channel 4 News " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; IDS told mandatory treatment is illegal and unworkable, so says its just a 'review to look at it'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
alan rusbridger ‏@arusbridger 13m13 minutes ago
.@MMacLennanTMG come on, Murdoch. If you guys can take down HSBC stories you can take down this, too
Alan rusbridger retweeted
Chris Cook @xtophercook · 7m 7 minutes ago
I just had a text from a Telegraph reporter in which only one word is not a breach of the BBC style guide. It was "Holy".

Well quite...