Saturday, 21st & Sunday 22nd Feb

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday, 21st & Sunday 22nd Feb

Post by citizenJA »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: "They had men's underwear on for half price and I bought a bunch that was clearly too small for me. I find it difficult to sit for any length of time."...
We need more like him - reducing his taxpayer-funded expenses by buying cheaply. IDS take note!

Edited to make it clear that the original quote is from a Canadian MP, not RR. :oops:
It's One World, Eric_WLothian, your point stands.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Anyone been watching the BBC's Inside The Commons series?

Just finished ep.3 - Steve Rotherham comes across as someone really interested in trying to make life better (as did the LibDem MP trying to get a bill through about affordable housing in ep.2...and was thwarted by that self-satisfied twerp Rees-Mogg. Rees-Mogg even goes to the extent of checking everything Hansard has on his speeches and correcting minor details.

I did like the bit where Carswell and Reckless put their prayer notes in spaces on the Labour bench which left Rotherham bewildered and who said something like "I haven't got anything in common with either of them so why are they planning to sit here?"
I've been watching & both Steve Rotherham & Sarah Champion show 2 MPs determined to do the best job they can, with their constituents interests at heart.

I especially liked seeing SR on the roof, dressed in workman's clothing, struggling to life that chimney pot off - so normal & everyday.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
A history lesson from 1979: when the SNP voted with the Tories to bring down Labour...
http://siareachruadh.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... p.html?m=1
Written in September 2014 - so still has Salmond as First Minister in the commentary on current day Scottish government / SNP.
Found the information about what happened back in 1979 useful - as it was a time when I wasn't paying that much attention to the parliamentary mechanics - more street level politics for me then.
All eleven parliamentary members of the SNP voted with Margaret Thatcher that night, ensuring the motion was carried by just one vote (311-310), and so precipitating a general election in which 9 of the 11 duplicitous, naive SNP members lost their seats. All, bar only Margaret Ewing and George Reid, lost their seats to the Conservative candidates. The Tories, buoyed in part by their new seats in Scotland of course, swept to power, thereby heralding 18 years of unbroken Conservative rule in Scotland.
and the poll tax horror visited on them.
Oh, wow, RR2. Thanks for link.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

pk1 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Anyone been watching the BBC's Inside The Commons series?

Just finished ep.3 - Steve Rotherham comes across as someone really interested in trying to make life better (as did the LibDem MP trying to get a bill through about affordable housing in ep.2...and was thwarted by that self-satisfied twerp Rees-Mogg. Rees-Mogg even goes to the extent of checking everything Hansard has on his speeches and correcting minor details.

I did like the bit where Carswell and Reckless put their prayer notes in spaces on the Labour bench which left Rotherham bewildered and who said something like "I haven't got anything in common with either of them so why are they planning to sit here?"
I've been watching & both Steve Rotherham & Sarah Champion show 2 MPs determined to do the best job they can, with their constituents interests at heart.

I especially liked seeing SR on the roof, dressed in workman's clothing, struggling to life that chimney pot off - so normal & everyday.
I was surprised...but take a look at his wiki biog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Rotheram

That's the sort of chap that Labour need more of...

OK, off to football.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
A history lesson from 1979: when the SNP voted with the Tories to bring down Labour...
http://siareachruadh.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... p.html?m=1
Written in September 2014 - so still has Salmond as First Minister in the commentary on current day Scottish government / SNP.
Found the information about what happened back in 1979 useful - as it was a time when I wasn't paying that much attention to the parliamentary mechanics - more street level politics for me then.
All eleven parliamentary members of the SNP voted with Margaret Thatcher that night, ensuring the motion was carried by just one vote (311-310), and so precipitating a general election in which 9 of the 11 duplicitous, naive SNP members lost their seats. All, bar only Margaret Ewing and George Reid, lost their seats to the Conservative candidates. The Tories, buoyed in part by their new seats in Scotland of course, swept to power, thereby heralding 18 years of unbroken Conservative rule in Scotland.
To be fair, I think SNP probably thought government would survive then.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:For anyone who missed "The News Quiz" I bring you the correction that had me falling off my chair laughing...
30,000 Pigs Didn't Float Down River According To Hilarious Newspaper Correction (PICTURE)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/0 ... 20783.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol: :lol:
Did no one else find this enunciation mistake funny?
30 sows and pigs reported as 30,000 pigs... no?
Oh well - my humour is a bit strange.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Justice Alliance Relay.jpg
Justice Alliance Relay.jpg (82.2 KiB) Viewed 13262 times
Steve Hynes ‏@SteveHynesLAG 1h1 hour ago
Good turn out for the start of the justice alliance relay from Runnymede. Led by Grayling as king John!
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Written in September 2014 - so still has Salmond as First Minister in the commentary on current day Scottish government / SNP.
To be fair, I think SNP probably thought government would survive then.
You are probably right Tubby - because they got a very nasty shock at the resulting election. But it doesn't say much for their grip on reality and tactics.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:I'm wondering what the winter death figures will be this year. High I've no doubt, but there will be thousands of people who have developed health problems due to the cold.

Mr Ohso and I have been experimenting with keeping just one room heated. On the coldest days it was unbearable and we had leave a heater switched on in the hall.
My hands have frequently been cold. In unheated rooms, everything you touch is icy cold. It's impossible to keep them warm and I drew the line at wearing gloves indoors. I'm clumsy enough as it is.
Until a few weeks ago I only had arthritis in the top joint of my right index finger. Now both hands are killing me. Left hand is particularly painful.

How does someone with health problems but is still having to work cope?
Edited to put some of my own words here - I look at my post & it's sterile, please excuse me, Ohso, I regularly research statistical data. I've been following the spike in mortality rates within the last few months. This year's flu jab effectiveness was unfortunately diminished by a mutating virus. There's nothing anyone could've done to prevent that.

Homes must be kept warm all over the nation through greater insulation, secure, affordable access to enough energy for domestic use & an investment in quality (social) housing keeping people warm, safe & housed without fear.
Weekly All-cause Mortality Surveillance
19 February 2015 – Week 8 report (up to week 7 data)

In week 7 2015, significant excess all-cause mortality by week of death was seen through the EuroMOMO algorithm in England in 65+ year olds. In the devolved administrations in week 7, significant excess allcause mortality was also seen in Northern Ireland.

Since week 40 2014, significant excess mortality has been seen in England from week 50 2014 onwards mainly in 65+ year olds, coinciding with circulating influenza and cold snaps, with suggestions impact is now decreasing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _week8.pdf
Weekly Provisional Figures on Deaths Registered in England and Wales, Week Ending 06/02/2015
17 February 2015 (Latest)
Next edition: 24 February 2015
England and Wales

The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 06/02/2015 (week 6) was 12,039. This represents a decrease of 861 deaths registered in comparison with the previous week (week 5).

The average number of deaths for the corresponding week over the previous five years was 10,320.

The high number of deaths registered in the week ending 06/02/2015 coincides with circulating influenza and a period of cold weather.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob2/wee ... index.html
Mortality monitoring in Europe
We publish weekly bulletins of the all-cause mortality levels in up to 19 European countries or regions of countries. The weekly bulletin is published every Friday around noon.

European mortality bulletin week 7, 2015
An excess number of deaths among the elderly was observed in Portugal, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Belgium, Greece, the Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland. Excess all-cause mortality cannot with certainty be attributed to specific causes, but may be associated with circulating influenza, extreme cold or increase in acute respiratory illness. The current excess coincide with circulating influenza A H3, and medium to high intensity (FluNews Europe) in most countries and additionally with cold snaps in Portugal and Spain in the first weeks of the year.

The pooled analyses, which may accumulate even minor increases in excess mortality across countries, do also detect excess all-cause among the elderly during the past weeks on higher levels compared with the previous four winter seasons.

http://www.euromomo.eu/
Last edited by citizenJA on Sat 21 Feb, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Lord Ashcroft has a decent sense of humour.
I reluctantly agree.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Steve Rotheram, Labour MP for Liverpool, Walton is a good man.
Thanks for the link.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Afternoon.

Am still fuming after reading the Cambrian News, our local paper.

The front page headline piece gives a local Lib Dem councillor space to vent about Ceredigion council having to increase parking charges by 10 to 20 pence.
She claims it will 'cause traffic chaos' and the council are using it to 'maximise profits'.

As if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth she ignores the pressure councils like ours are under to maintain services after the cuts her party, the Lib Dems, have enabled nationally.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Away from politics....
I found this really creepy for some reason
Mummified Monk Found Inside Chinese Buddha Statue
http://irisharchaeology.ie/2015/02/mumm ... ha-statue/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Back to politic..
This is really hard hitting
Open letter to Tony Cross re Global Law Summit
http://raymondshaw66.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ref=tw&m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AngryAsWell wrote:Away from politics....
http://irisharchaeology.ie/2015/02/mumm ... ha-statue/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I find it quite moving.
Many lamas and monks who have spent their lives meditating are said to be able to die, when their life reaches its conclusion, in a state of meditation.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

When I read that, YahYah, I feel glad I live in elitist snotty London, where even the very rich except parking charges.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Oh look! something else they can kill - god I hate this lot!!!
Public money to fund culling and contraceptives for grey squirrels
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 56567.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Fullfact on LD claims that Labour's £8 NMW by 2020 is a 'real terms cut'

Needless to say, the claim is false.

https://fullfact.org/live/2015/feb/%C2% ... 2020-39603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 24s24 seconds ago
Opinium shares
Con 35%(+2), Lab 33%(-2), Lib Dems 6%(-2),UKIP 15%(+1),Green 7%(+1)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Away from politics....

I find it quite moving.
Many lamas and monks who have spent their lives meditating are said to be able to die, when their life reaches its conclusion, in a state of meditation.
You are right :) when I first read it I had a horrid thought that he could have been put in there alive for some crazy reason.
Must have been doing to much thinking about tory's :lol:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Went out earlier doorknocking Ramsbottom. Much improved local reception from last year (the AD plant) and the odd convert coming through, which was nice. The weather was pretty awful - snow, hail, very cold indeed - but the reception was warmer than I'd anticipated, including a noce old fellah who'd voted UKIP last, but wasn't going to this time. His voting history was pretty much Tory, but we warmed to each other rather well, and he told me that he couldn't believe a Labour member could be so polite and well educated (I said thanks, in case you're wondering...). By the time I'd finished with him, he has telling me he was going to vote Labour. Just goes to show.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:Fullfact on LD claims that Labour's £8 NMW by 2020 is a 'real terms cut'

Needless to say, the claim is false.

https://fullfact.org/live/2015/feb/%C2% ... 2020-39603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New politics, as Lib Dems can't do simple calculations about inflation.

Though no idea why the predicted rise can't go back to what it was pre-2010.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HSBC dep chair Sir Simon Robertson gave Osborne £100,000 & has given Tories £717,500.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Euromyther Bruno Waterfield has left the DT to go to The Times.

Meltdown barely covers it.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Euromyther Bruno Waterfield has left the DT to go to The Times.

Just saw an old tweet.

Murdoch McLellan, the Telegraph's chief executive was a character witness for Andy Coulson at his trial. Says it all really.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Wow.
Have been making a ciabatta dough that's had a long proved 'biga' starter [three days fermenting] in the quest for the perfect Italian bread.

Am just baking four loaves and it looks and smells absolutely amazing.

Goodnight all. I may be some time chomping.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Went out earlier doorknocking Ramsbottom. Much improved local reception from last year (the AD plant) and the odd convert coming through, which was nice. The weather was pretty awful - snow, hail, very cold indeed - but the reception was warmer than I'd anticipated, including a noce old fellah who'd voted UKIP last, but wasn't going to this time. His voting history was pretty much Tory, but we warmed to each other rather well, and he told me that he couldn't believe a Labour member could be so polite and well educated (I said thanks, in case you're wondering...). By the time I'd finished with him, he has telling me he was going to vote Labour. Just goes to show.
Although I'm in a safe Labour seat the ward I'm in is deeply Tory. Yet I'm finding attitudes have changed over the last 12 months in particular. People who changed the car regularly and had 2 decent holidays a year are no longer doing so, and they blame the Tory's for the lack of reddies, openly calling them "not proper Conservatives". One neighbour who has not spoken to me since I put a labour poster up 20 odd years ago broke the silence last week telling me "we need your lot back to sort out all the bloody mess this lot have made". Neither are interested in Kippery so I do wonder were their votes will go.
This is why I simply don't trust the polls, I don't know who they are asking but whoever they are they don't seem representative of the people I bump into.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Went out earlier doorknocking Ramsbottom. Much improved local reception from last year (the AD plant) and the odd convert coming through, which was nice. The weather was pretty awful - snow, hail, very cold indeed - but the reception was warmer than I'd anticipated, including a noce old fellah who'd voted UKIP last, but wasn't going to this time. His voting history was pretty much Tory, but we warmed to each other rather well, and he told me that he couldn't believe a Labour member could be so polite and well educated (I said thanks, in case you're wondering...). By the time I'd finished with him, he has telling me he was going to vote Labour. Just goes to show.
That's a nice story Ernst - makes enduring the weather sound well worthwhile. I've found myself thinking that Ed Miliband's 4 million conversations plan isn't just slogan and spin. It actually reflects what's going on - and what needed to go on. It's also proving ridiculously incentivising for our little groups of foot soldiers. We always finish off our rounds with a count up of conversations now - and give ourselves a pat on the back when we've done well against our targets or just well in the circumstances (gale force winds - hills you could ski down and the like). Apparently we're doing well in the overall seats stakes as well ... not going to say where we rank ... but it's good. Little smug emoticon here.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Although I'm in a safe Labour seat the ward I'm in is deeply Tory. Yet I'm finding attitudes have changed over the last 12 months in particular. People who changed the car regularly and had 2 decent holidays a year are no longer doing so, and they blame the Tory's for the lack of reddies, openly calling them "not proper Conservatives". One neighbour who has not spoken to me since I put a labour poster up 20 odd years ago broke the silence last week telling me "we need your lot back to sort out all the bloody mess this lot have made". Neither are interested in Kippery so I do wonder were their votes will go.
This is why I simply don't trust the polls, I don't know who they are asking but whoever they are they don't seem representative of the people I bump into.
I do hope you're right AAW. It's very difficult to know what information, if any, to consider reliable. People we bump into probably isn't that representative a sample ... but it might not be that dissimilar from some of the polls if they are still relying on Sun and other readerships to categorize people / samples.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sunday Sport tweet:

Dear @Telegraph. Please get out of the gutter. That's our patch.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Sunday Sport tweet:

Dear @Telegraph. Please get out of the gutter. That's our patch.
:lol:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Euromyther Bruno Waterfield has left the DT to go to The Times.

There was another...

alan rusbridger @arusbridger · Feb 20
Delighted Holly Watt, brilliant Telegraph writer, & Alice Ross from the Times joining guardian as investigative reporters

Pretty soon it'll be Dan Hodges and Toby Young left..it can't be long before Mary Riddell leaves.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

One for Ernst (although maybe a bit far down the road for you?)
Ladies... suffragettes at Heaton Park.

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

LisaGribbin
‏@GrinBins "@AgentP22: Nats applying for @bbcquestiontime in Glasgow posing as Tory, Labour & undecideds (again)
Hmm " #SNPout

Bit blatant...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

NHS crisis: Understaffed hospital calls in army to help medics deal with workload
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nh ... ls-5206507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I expect Newsnight to fully cover this on Monday...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This is good, and not too much bile BTL - yet
Climate change is not just an environmental issue
Ed Miliband

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... l-security" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:NHS crisis: Understaffed hospital calls in army to help medics deal with workload
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nh ... ls-5206507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I expect Newsnight to fully cover this on Monday...
Yes - it'll be the main item - followed by a statement from IDS saying Universal Credit has bombed and will actually leave many working people worse off - and they'll finish with a sobbing George Osborne, head in hands, apologising for the massive rise in debt under his chancellorship.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Austin Mitchell doing his best to sabotage Labour in Grimsby...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 61754.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Spacedone wrote:Austin Mitchell doing his best to sabotage Labour in Grimsby...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 61754.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charming :smack:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

One retiree who won't be missed.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Miliband tells TES: 'We are offering a new beginning for teachers'
https://news.tes.co.uk/b/news/2015/02/1 ... kE.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Ross ‏@David_Ross86 1h1 hour ago
There really is no end to the creepiness of some SNP activists. They aren't very fond of people disagreeing with them http://on.fb.me/1wa3Sln" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not sure I'd call it creepy - but I don't think I'd want to be one of the people who answered the door and found myself being filmed as part of this. Margaret Curran is the MP who got all the abuse on her facebook as well.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Just saw this Telegraph article linked to on twitter. Telegraph output is just getting downright bemusing now:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... funny.html
These YouTube campaign videos that ridicule Ed Miliband and Ed Balls smack of crass, elitist bullying, writes Janet Daley
A hint that Tory supporters are beginning to lose faith in David Cameron?

(Edited to correct weird greenness thing!)
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:Just saw this Telegraph article linked to on twitter. Telegraph output is just getting downright bemusing now:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... funny.html
These YouTube campaign videos that ridicule Ed Miliband and Ed Balls smack of crass, elitist bullying, writes Janet Daley
A hint that Tory supporters are beginning to lose faith in David Cameron?

(Edited to correct weird greenness thing!)
She's written some articles that are downright sceptical of Lansley's health "reforms" - funny how when it affects them they suddenly realise what it means...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think she's never liked Cameron and thinks Miliband is probably nicer. She liked his speech about Thatcher, I recall. Probably offering advice in a genuine spirit to Cameron.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

What a bizarre piece

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... servatives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

labour-john-prescott-election-miliband-conservatives
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Latest YouGov poll (19 - 20 Feb):
LAB - 34% (+1)
CON - 33% (+1)
UKIP - 13% (-2)
LDEM - 8% (-1)
GRN - 6% (-)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

An amazing thing happened on a day at a farm….

"Now, it’s not an obvious thing for a Labour candidate to go and meet farmers in a constituency that’s strongly Tory and I was fully expecting a seriously hard time. I was however, very keen to go; mainly to listen and understand what the issues are but secondly, because I don’t believe the myth that all farmers are Tories and that the Labour Party doesn’t have a lot to offer rural communities."

http://darrenpricelabour.co.uk/2015/02/ ... at-a-farm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

One retiree who won't be missed.
Sad really, he's still there. He is 80, I don't think he knows what he's saying. I remember him presenting Calendar, a YTV programme that came on at tea-time. I always liked him, he was avuncular, comfortable. I was glad he got his seat, back in the day. I get very cross with former Labour folks having a go at Ed or policies that are more radical than anything they would dare propose, but Austin, I don't think he meant harm.

Every time Mandelson opens his gob, I wish I could personally vote for Ed Miliband. But I hate Doncaster, and I say that having known it. I wondered if I'd vote Labour again, having been disillusioned by the New brand. I want the old one, so I will vote for it. Impossible not to, really, habit of a lifetime, all that ....