Saturday, 21st & Sunday 22nd Feb

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Saturday, 21st & Sunday 22nd Feb

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 60745.html

Morning folks,
Here's an outrageous story to start your day. Apparently HMRC have outsourced checking eligibility to tax credits to a US firm, with payment by results. The more they save, the more they earn.
Tough shit to all the innocent poor people who lose money or are scared witless.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Saturday, 21st & Sunday 22nd Feb

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... ans-bluff/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

' Here lies an absolutely key consideration and, now, a tricky one. The political landscape has changed so much since 2010 that it’s anyone’s guess as to who’s in contention. We do have constituency-specific polling, as well as local election data, the result from 2010 and other information. The problem for the voter is that much of this will be contradictory and that parties will put out the data that suits their cause. As mentioned, one of the main reasons that LD-Lab tactical voting peaked in 2001 was because of the stability of the system at the time. Vote shares have been anything but stable since 2010. There’s only a need to vote tactically if your first choice isn’t in the top two or near to it. '
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sorry to lower the tone. (I need some light relief from our sick animal situation here.)
Canadian MP blames tight underpants for exit from parliament
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31547073

... A Canadian MP offered one of the most original excuses ever heard for leaving parliament in a hurry - tight underpants.

His cut-price and, as it turned out, overly tight underpants made it difficult for him to sit through a one-by-one vote, opposition MP Pat Martin told the bewildered Speaker...
Mr Martin drew applause and laughter from the chamber when he explained his temporary absence.

"They had men's underwear on for half price and I bought a bunch that was clearly too small for me. I find it difficult to sit for any length of time."...
Working on the wild side.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote: "They had men's underwear on for half price and I bought a bunch that was clearly too small for me. I find it difficult to sit for any length of time."...
We need more like him - reducing his taxpayer-funded expenses by buying cheaply. IDS take note!

Edited to make it clear that the original quote is from a Canadian MP, not RR. :oops:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

How to destroy your brand in a single week. What the hell were the Barclay brothers thinking?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/dai ... ous-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The answer to that is, they don't think. The atavistic lust for vast wealth and absolute power seems to be their sole motivation.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Sorry to lower the tone. (I need some light relief from our sick animal situation here.)

... A Canadian MP offered one of the most original excuses ever heard for leaving parliament in a hurry - tight underpants.

His cut-price and, as it turned out, overly tight underpants made it difficult for him to sit through a one-by-one vote, opposition MP Pat Martin told the bewildered Speaker...
Mr Martin drew applause and laughter from the chamber when he explained his temporary absence.

"They had men's underwear on for half price and I bought a bunch that was clearly too small for me. I find it difficult to sit for any length of time."...
Waste not want not?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:How to destroy your brand in a single week. What the hell were the Barclay brothers thinking?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/dai ... ous-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They become successful, end up surrounded by yes men, and then start to think they're invincible.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Sorry to lower the tone. (I need some light relief from our sick animal situation here.)

Waste not want not?
Come to think of it, didn't Jeremy Paxman have a similar issue some time ago? Must be a world-wide crisis.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Sorry to hear things are not looking any better for Musica, Rebecca. This might raise a chuckle :
Attachments
1.png
1.png (118.78 KiB) Viewed 14764 times
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

There's nothing like a bit of SNP-bashing, coupled with own trumpet-blowing, for a Saturday morning.
If there was a gold medal for brass neck, Nicola Sturgeon would have been on the rostrum this week for her breathtaking demand that David Cameron should intervene to keep Scotland’s lights on.
Fortunately, there is no early likelihood of Scotland’s lights going out. Due to the sagacity of the Labour government in which I was energy minister, we have GB-wide trading arrangements which mean that the infrastructure exists to import power from the rest of Britain.
It’s all a far cry from that giddy day in 2007 when Alex Salmond took office as First Minister. Having tied up his deal with the Tories – hell having presumably frozen over – he bustled off to Longannet for his first public engagement in the role. A curious choice, some thought.
Bombast was already in the air. “Coal is king,” declared Salmond. Scotland was to have a deep-mining renaissance and Scottish Power’s owners, Iberdrola, were to fund “a £1 billion upgrade” at Longannet and Cockenzie. The Iberdrola chairman, Ignacio Galan, was on hand to brief Salmond on these exciting proposals.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/brian-wils ... -1-3697206
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

pk1 wrote:Sorry to hear things are not looking any better for Musica, Rebecca. This might raise a chuckle download/file.php?id=849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
Are we sure it's not satire? It is Bristol.

(edited to add link to the image, but doesn't seem to work. is that an example of PFing? just pondering on the meaning of the new FTN verb: to PF)
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sat 21 Feb, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

A history lesson from 1979: when the SNP voted with the Tories to bring down Labour...
http://siareachruadh.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... p.html?m=1
Written in September 2014 - so still has Salmond as First Minister in the commentary on current day Scottish government / SNP.
Found the information about what happened back in 1979 useful - as it was a time when I wasn't paying that much attention to the parliamentary mechanics - more street level politics for me then.
All eleven parliamentary members of the SNP voted with Margaret Thatcher that night, ensuring the motion was carried by just one vote (311-310), and so precipitating a general election in which 9 of the 11 duplicitous, naive SNP members lost their seats. All, bar only Margaret Ewing and George Reid, lost their seats to the Conservative candidates. The Tories, buoyed in part by their new seats in Scotland of course, swept to power, thereby heralding 18 years of unbroken Conservative rule in Scotland.
and the poll tax horror visited on them.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'm wondering what the winter death figures will be this year. High I've no doubt, but there will be thousands of people who have developed health problems due to the cold.

Mr Ohso and I have been experimenting with keeping just one room heated. On the coldest days it was unbearable and we had leave a heater switched on in the hall.
My hands have frequently been cold. In unheated rooms, everything you touch is icy cold. It's impossible to keep them warm and I drew the line at wearing gloves indoors. I'm clumsy enough as it is.
Until a few weeks ago I only had arthritis in the top joint of my right index finger. Now both hands are killing me. Left hand is particularly painful.

How does someone with health problems but is still having to work cope?
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sat 21 Feb, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Daily Telegraph's promise to its readers, sponsored by Canesten
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/busi ... 5022095559
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@ohsocynical sorry to hear that, look after yourself.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

There is no end to their idiocy is there?
Outrage as Ukip use a Nazi SWASTIKA to attack rivals in 'abhorrent' Facebook post

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ou ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morning all
(Healing thoughts to Pk and RR's dogs, hugs and empathy to their owners xx)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:I'm wondering what the winter death figures will be this year. High I've no doubt, but there will be thousands of people who have developed health problems due to the cold.

I thought I'd managed to keep fairly warm although my hands have been colder than usual. In unheated rooms, everything you touch is icy cold. It's impossible to keep them warm.
Until a few weeks ago I only had arthritis in the top joint of my right index finger. Now both hands are killing me. Left hand is particularly painful.
My sympathies Ohso - it's very painful and more or less constant. I got a bout of reactive arthritis in one of my hands after a virus about 18 months ago and it was horrible - used to wake me up in the night. Hope we get a bit of warmer weather in your area asap. Do you take anything for it?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:There is no end to their idiocy is there?
Outrage as Ukip use a Nazi SWASTIKA to attack rivals in 'abhorrent' Facebook post

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ou ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morning all
(Healing thoughts to Pk and RR's dogs, hugs and empathy to their owners xx)
As I drove back from the vets this morning I heard a news report on another racist chanting incident - this time at St Pancras station - allegedly Chelsea supporters again.

I thought - this is what you get a resurgence of when parties like UKIP come to the fore and it somehow becomes acceptable to divide society into them and us, to 'otherise'. I hate this - I had so hoped we had moved on from such vile stuff. It's all a bit too much like the late 70s and early 80s for my comfort. We can't allow the Tories back in ... things will get much worse under them .... and those water cannon they purchased in preparation will actually be deployed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
The Daily Telegraph's promise to its readers, sponsored by Canesten
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/busi ... 5022095559
:lol: :lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Bryant ‏@ChrisBryantMP 6m6 minutes ago
I explained #bedroomtax to a voter on #labourdoorstep today. He’s so incensed he says he’ll never vote Tory again. Labour will abolish it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:I'm wondering what the winter death figures will be this year. High I've no doubt, but there will be thousands of people who have developed health problems due to the cold.

I thought I'd managed to keep fairly warm although my hands have been colder than usual. In unheated rooms, everything you touch is icy cold. It's impossible to keep them warm.
My sympathies Ohso - it's very painful and more or less constant. I got a bout of reactive arthritis in one of my hands after a virus about 18 months ago and it was horrible - used to wake me up in the night. Hope we get a bit of warmer weather in your area asap. Do you take anything for it?
I'm not at present. I can't take aspirin or ibuprofen. Tried paracetamol with codeine when it first started but it wasn't very effective so I've not bothered since. It's pointless going to my doctor. He'll say it's because I smoke. I'm hoping it'll ease off once it gets warmer and that my joints don't distort too much in the meantime.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I explained #bedroomtax to a voter on #labourdoorstep today. He’s so incensed he says he’ll never vote Tory again. Labour will abolish it.
I'm just stunned that there are people around who did not know about the BT ? :shock:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mr Ohso and I have been experimenting with keeping just one room heated. On the coldest days it was unbearable and we had leave a heater switched on in the hall.
My hands have frequently been cold. In unheated rooms, everything you touch is icy cold. It's impossible to keep them warm and I drew the line at wearing gloves indoors. I'm clumsy enough as it is.

Sorry to hear that Ohso :(
Turmeric & Ginger Tea can be helpful as can increasing magnesium.
Hope the warm weather helps as well (when it arrives)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:@ohsocynical sorry to hear that, look after yourself.
Thanks. :) I'm lucky in that I can rest them when they get too painful.

Good job it's not my tongue. :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:

Sorry to hear that Ohso :(
Turmeric & Ginger Tea can be helpful as can increasing magnesium.
Hope the warm weather helps as well (when it arrives)
I plan a trip to the health food shop on Monday. I think the cold is the main culprit, so hopefully not many more weeks before they begin to feel easier.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I'm just stunned that there are people around who did not know about the BT ? :shock:
If they're creatures of habit and still faithfully watch the BBC for their news then they are going to be abysmally ignorant about a lot of this governments nasty reforms.
There are an awful lot of people from the older generation that aren't computer literate so social media sites are a complete mystery to them. And buying a daily newspaper is expensive.
Cancelling the papers when times get hard is one of the first things you do. And if you do buy the odd paper how many are giving you the truth?

Not sure how you'll overcome it. Producing a regular Labour news sheet might help but you're still not guaranteed it would be read, because basically it's junk mail.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Angryaswell

I think most people have heard of it,but unless effected or have a particular interest,don't know the specifics.I had my mum in law visit recently,whom by instinct didn't like the sound of it but asked me to explain.I did so ,genuinely outlining without comment ,she was horrified,as most sensible people would be.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I'm not - having been out on the doorstep myself some people's lack of knowledge of what's going on right under their noses, in their street and neighbourhood, is pretty evident. But at least you / I can give people some information - if they are interested enough to listen - to change that a little bit. The thing I and others on the doorstep find most dispiriting are the people who tell you with some pride that they don't vote. Since when did that become something to feel proud of?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Has it been that cold? I have a new and great winter coat, so I honestly can't say.

All the dead pensioners from Thatcher's day seem to have been forgotten. Mid Staffs!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

For anyone who missed "The News Quiz" I bring you the correction that had me falling off my chair laughing...
30,000 Pigs Didn't Float Down River According To Hilarious Newspaper Correction (PICTURE)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/0 ... 20783.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol: :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Packed UKIP event in Glasgow
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Anyone else think it's a bit sad when the Chancellor proudly announces that in January 2015 he met the deficit target set in December 2014?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Roy Lilley ‏@RoyLilley Feb 19
I'm hearing the #CQC report on Whipps Cross is a stinkler but the DH are blocking it's publication? Surely not; the CQC are independent?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Anyone else think it's a bit sad when the Chancellor proudly announces that in January 2015 he met the deficit target set in December 2014?
It does sound rather comparable to me being pleased with myself for managing to get the things I wrote down on the shopping list last night ...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 28m28 minutes ago
I've discovered that last weekend ICM carried out fieldwork for 2 polls. One had 4% CON lead. Other, for @LordAshcroft had LAB 1% ahead
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Lord Ashcroft sounds surprised.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Anyone else think it's a bit sad when the Chancellor proudly announces that in January 2015 he met the deficit target set in December 2014?
It does sound rather comparable to me being pleased with myself for managing to get the things I wrote down on the shopping list last night ...
Personally I always start a major "to do" list with a few things I've already done so I can feel smug and effective as I immediately cross them off.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I'm hearing the #CQC report on Whipps Cross is a stinkler but the DH are blocking it's publication? Surely not; the CQC are independent?
Just went to look at that tweet & discovered Lilley has blocked me, presumably for pointing out he was giving out incorrect information when he claimed the satisfaction with the NHS is at it's highest ever level.

I think it's utterly pathetic to be blocked by an establishment figure for challenging their incorrect statements. I could understand it if I had been rude & offensive but I most certainly was not either of those.

edit to add link to our twitter exchange, should anybody want to see it

https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q ... y&src=typd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by pk1 on Sat 21 Feb, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

13 teams, 4 street stalls, 60+ volunteers
Impressive
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Just went to look at that tweet & discovered Lilley has blocked me, presumably for pointing out he was giving out incorrect information when he claimed the satisfaction with the NHS is at it's highest ever level.

I think it's utterly pathetic to be blocked by an establishment figure for challenging their incorrect statements. I could understand it if I had been rude & offensive but I most certainly was not either of those.
I've found I'm blocked by several tory's even though I've never contacted them, think it must be the #cameronmustgo hashtag twitter storms, they must see "labour supporter" and block. Very un democratic.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Lord Ashcroft @LordAshcroft
· 4 hrs 4 hours ago
I wonder if every time Cameron threatens Putin that Putin has a fit of the giggles...

:lol: :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... ans-bluff/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

' Here lies an absolutely key consideration and, now, a tricky one. The political landscape has changed so much since 2010 that it’s anyone’s guess as to who’s in contention. We do have constituency-specific polling, as well as local election data, the result from 2010 and other information. The problem for the voter is that much of this will be contradictory and that parties will put out the data that suits their cause. As mentioned, one of the main reasons that LD-Lab tactical voting peaked in 2001 was because of the stability of the system at the time. Vote shares have been anything but stable since 2010. There’s only a need to vote tactically if your first choice isn’t in the top two or near to it. '
Sounds like how an unscrupulous, minority Tory party try to win what they can't democratically.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@AngryAsWell

Lord Ashcroft is a wily fellow, making me laugh involuntarily, diverting me against my better judgement.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Lord Ashcroft has a decent sense of humour.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Personally I always start a major "to do" list with a few things I've already done so I can feel smug and effective as I immediately cross them off.
I am very good at list making. The snag is I lose them or forget to take them.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Anyone been watching the BBC's Inside The Commons series?

Just finished ep.3 - Steve Rotherham comes across as someone really interested in trying to make life better (as did the LibDem MP trying to get a bill through about affordable housing in ep.2...and was thwarted by that self-satisfied twerp Rees-Mogg. Rees-Mogg even goes to the extent of checking everything Hansard has on his speeches and correcting minor details.

I did like the bit where Carswell and Reckless put their prayer notes in spaces on the Labour bench which left Rotherham bewildered and who said something like "I haven't got anything in common with either of them so why are they planning to sit here?"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

You should Tweet that repeatedly. Eventually it'll get back to them via Re-Tweeting
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell said:
I've found I'm blocked by several tory's even though I've never contacted them, think it must be the #cameronmustgo hashtag twitter storms, they must see "labour supporter" and block. Very un democratic.
I agree. These representatives using their accounts for professional purposes may claim self-righteously we're blocked due to the 'personally horrid' standard - pointing out their egregious lies isn't cool with them - screws up their story.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Anyone been watching the BBC's Inside The Commons series?

Just finished ep.3 - Steve Rotherham comes across as someone really interested in trying to make life better (as did the LibDem MP trying to get a bill through about affordable housing in ep.2...and was thwarted by that self-satisfied twerp Rees-Mogg. Rees-Mogg even goes to the extent of checking everything Hansard has on his speeches and correcting minor details.

I did like the bit where Carswell and Reckless put their prayer notes in spaces on the Labour bench which left Rotherham bewildered and who said something like "I haven't got anything in common with either of them so why are they planning to sit here?"
I'm going to have to put Inside The Commons on my to watch list, Roger.

Thanks for the Rees-Mogg information. I'll go check out his Hansard record. Uptight petty MP.
Oooo...look at that - I'm personally horrid.