Monday, 23rd February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Monday, 23rd February 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 4m4 minutes ago
Sir Malcolm Rifkind says despite suspension will not stand down from Intelligence Committee unless committee calls on him to step aside
What a ........
Working on the wild side.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Those interested in WCA may want to listen to You and Yours on R4. Interview with Maximus.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LABOUR CHALLENGES TORIES ON TV DEBATES
Dear Mr Shapps,

Both you and the Prime Minister have stated recently that you want live television debates between the party leaders to happen.

[more text]

You will now be aware that broadcasters have today decided – after the drawing of lots – that the head-to-head leaders’ debate between Mr Cameron and Mr Miliband will take place on April 30, just seven days before the General Election.

In the light of the previous comments from yourself and Mr Cameron, I am sure you will agree this is a “credible debate” and an excellent opportunity for the British people to watch the two leaders who stand a realistic chance of being Prime Minister after May 7.

I am happy to confirm on Mr Miliband’s behalf that he will turn up to debate Mr Cameron on April 30.

Can you today confirm that Mr Cameron will be there too?

Failure to answer this question will lead many to conclude that you and Mr Cameron are reluctant to give the British people the chance to make up their own minds.

The broadcasters have set the date. The invitation is in the post. The only question remaining is whether David Cameron is willing to go head-to-head with Ed Miliband.

Yours,

Douglas Alexander

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1118541 ... tv-debates
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Guardian 'breaking news' banner says Rifkind has been suspended from the Conservative Party...

Others quicker on the draw than I was. Still, first time I've seen a 'breaking news' banner suddenly appear at the bottom of the screen while I was perusing the Graun...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

edited to make this thread flow better without my random notes.

:rock:
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 23 Feb, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ITV to air first party leaders’ TV debate on 2 April
BBC, Channel 4 and Sky News to broadcast following debates which will take place after official election campaign begins, contrary to David Cameron’s wishes

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/f ... on-2-april" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Everyone is just so personally horrid to you, Davie, poor fella.

You, your Tory party need kicked out te' government.
Take te' door & go

edited to remove a reference to physical motivational pokes
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 23 Feb, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The most important aspect of that statement by the TV companies is that they seem to be sticking to their "empty chair" threat for anybody who does not attend.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 40m40 minutes ago
Rifkind insists PM has two jobs. 'How much time do you think he spends in his constituency?' That'll go down like cup of cold sick at No10
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good afternoon everyone

That piece of excrement who masquerades as a Prime Minister has now come up with the following

"but wouldn’t allow someone to run a family shop or a family publishing business or such like and I think that wouldn’t make sense"

How many MPs run a family shop? How can they be a good MP if running a business?

The problem with 'professional politicians' is what they do prior to becoming and MP, not what they do during the time in position - we actually need a more professional approach to politics as well...treat it more as a proper job rather than the old boy club we have now with all the baggage that surrounds it

I despise that man with every passing day.....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Good afternoon everyone

That piece of excrement who masquerades as a Prime Minister has now come up with the following

"but wouldn’t allow someone to run a family shop or a family publishing business or such like and I think that wouldn’t make sense"

How many MPs run a family shop? How can they be a good MP if running a business?

I despise that man with every passing day.....
(my edit of your post, howsillyofme1)
Speaking in modern, people-lingo, street parlance, Cameron & his boys are quintessential, Tory-muthaf*****s.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

In an interview the other week Dennis Skinner said @BeastofBolsover is nothing to do with him. He doesn't even do email.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ohsocynical wrote:In an interview the other week Dennis Skinner said @BeastofBolsover is nothing to do with him. He doesn't even do email.
I know, but I like to maintain the illusion! ;-)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The taxpayer stake in Lloyds Banking Group has fallen below 24% as the bank prepares to pay its first dividend since the 2008 financial crisis and hand its top management team more than £25m in bonuses.

The body which controls the taxpayer stake in the bailed-out banks had already announced that it would drip-feed shares into the market in the runup to the general election and aim to reduce the stake to 20%.

Lloyds announced on Monday that UK Financial Investments had activated the first sale under this process ahead of the publication of the bank’s 2014 results on Friday.

In 2008 and 2009, when the government pumped £20bn into Lloyds after it rescued HBOS, the taxpayer was left with a 43% share, after selling off the stake in two chunks. It now stands at 23.9%. The £500m sell-off means that the government has received £8bn from the bank, the chancellor, George Osborne, said.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... nd-bonuses
(my bold)
Chancellor Jeff, you're a rat-f*** sonofa*****
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Angus Carruthers ‏@AngusCarruthers 5 mins5 minutes ago

#HSBC: Ed Balls will ask the Urgent Question in the Commons at 3.30pm.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lloyds announced on Monday that UK Financial Investments had activated the first sale under this process ahead of the publication of the bank’s 2014 results on Friday.

In 2008 and 2009, when the government pumped £20bn into Lloyds after it rescued HBOS, the taxpayer was left with a 43% share, after selling off the stake in two chunks. It now stands at 23.9%. The £500m sell-off means that the government has received £8bn from the bank, the chancellor, George Osborne, said.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... nd-bonuses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where has the money gone, Jeff?
Where's the value for money?
That's a one-off £8bn, if £8bn is the correct number, Jeff, I don't trust your word.
You've compromised your word by not telling the truth.
That leaves your word worthless.
How much did the regulars, the taxpayers, all of us doling out our work & wages saving the economy hijacked by your financial sector & Tory government pay, Jeff?
Throughout the last 5 years, where's the peoples' bonuses?
We've not received anything.
We've watched your Tory-led coalition government sell off everything of value originally belonging to the nation.
Those valuables were the nation's belongings, not yours & not for the use of your private sector billionaires.
You don't work for the best interests of your country or the people you're in government to represent.
Finally, could someone please explain what the f*** this quote from Jeff means?
The £500m sell-off means that the government has received £8bn from the bank, the chancellor, George Osborne, said.
I mean that literally - if what he's saying is accurate, I need an explanation why that is so.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Angus Carruthers ‏@AngusCarruthers 5 mins5 minutes ago

#HSBC: Ed Balls will ask the Urgent Question in the Commons at 3.30pm.
Look out for the "But it happened on Labour's watch so it's all your fault".
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Means testing WFP is just silly.There are very good reasons why it is universal.Political machination rather than evidence/sense driving policy must be railed against,regardless of Party IMHO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It is also expected to confirm that António Horta-Osório, the boss who is planning 9,000 job cuts and 200 branch closures, has met the terms of a share bonus handed to him in March 2012. The Portuguese banker stands to receive £7m and other members of his executive team up to £23m.

The shares were awarded when the price was 34.7p but the value has now increased to over 75p. The taxpayer paid an average of 73.6p for its shares.

Osborne said of the latest reduction in the stake: “This is further progress in returning Lloyds Banking Group to private ownership, reducing our national debt and getting taxpayers’ money back. The trading plan and its success are only made possible by our long-term economic plan, which is delivering a more secure and resilient economy.”

A spokesperson for Lloyds said also said the bank was demonstrating its ability to get taxpayers’ money back. “This reflects the hard work undertaken over the last four years to transform the group into a low-risk and customer-focused bank that is committed to helping Britain prosper.”
9,000 job cuts & branch closures, millions paid out to a few, and Osborne crowing about what now?

Could someone please explain to me how good or bad this is, please?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

They work for you - Malcolm Rifkind.

Salary - £67,000 PA.
Expenses - £141,000 (mainly office expenses)

Monthly payments - £2,916.66/£34,992PA (Adam Smith International); £7,166/£85,992PA (Unilever); £5,000/£60,000PA(Alliance Medical).
Total £180,984 PA.
Quarterly Payments - £12,500/£50K PA(LEK consulting); AS$ 12,500 (Dragoman) Sterling Equivalent £6,350/£25,400PA.
Total £75,400 PA.
One-off fees/payments last year - £5,512 (Adam Smith); £5,000 (United Jewish Israel Appeal)
Plus a few thousand in fees for articles etc. in papers/journals.

Malcolm Rifkind "earned" in excess of £250,000 last year.

These people do not come from the same mindset as ordinary people.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 3m3 minutes ago
Cash for access - Who's winning - My take - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... a1d2485098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #Rifkind #JackStraw
Spoiler: He gives the 'win' to Ed Miliband.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 1h 1 hour ago
@LordAshcroft phone poll due 4pm. Last week CON 31, LAB 32, LD 9, UKIP 16, GRN 8
Other polls +YouGoov expected in next day or so
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Cash for access - Who's winning - My take - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... a1d2485098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #Rifkind #JackStraw
Through gritted teeth I suspect. :lol:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Through gritted teeth I suspect. :lol:
He does say "Today, it's Ed Miliband"

Because every other day it's been Cameron....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ah, here's Adrian Hilton's article about UKIP and their grammar school policy. Worth reading as there are some bits that are very funny...

http://www.conservativehome.com/platfor ... kfast.html
Of course, there is a sense – the political campaigning one – in which UKIP aren’t obliged (and don’t need) to flesh out any details of their policy at all. We are, it must be noted, still waiting to hear the precise legal mechanism and bilateral trade negotiations by which they would enact UK secession from the EU, which, being their 20-year raison d’être, you might think they’d have expounded with clarity by now. In the interminable (and fruitful) quest for disaffected Tories, they only need to announce the headline-grabbing ‘what’; not grapple with the murky details of ‘how’.
:D
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

At coffeehouse,
'Cameron’s response can quite easily be that the TV debates are a package, and therefore the head-to-head must work as part of the group of three, with the two other seven-way debates agreed too. And Cameron can see the seven-way debates getting messier and messier without his input at all. So we return to the stalemate, as the date of the debates draws nearer, and the prospect of them happening fades.'

The speccie don't appear to want the debates. Admiration for Cameron for killing them off oozes through their pieces on the debates.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:At coffeehouse,
'Cameron’s response can quite easily be that the TV debates are a package, and therefore the head-to-head must work as part of the group of three, with the two other seven-way debates agreed too. And Cameron can see the seven-way debates getting messier and messier without his input at all. So we return to the stalemate, as the date of the debates draws nearer, and the prospect of them happening fades.'

The speccie don't appear to want the debates. Admiration for Cameron for killing them off oozes through their pieces on the debates.
“The other point I made, which I have been making for well over a year, is that the debates are better outside of the election campaign,” said Cameron.

“Last time I found, although the debates were excellent and I enjoyed taking part in them, they took all the life out of the election campaign, no one could about anything else.”

Dave Cameron - 23 February 2015

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/f ... on-2-april" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Debates take the life out of the election campaign..."

Yes, Dave, your debate with Miliband will take any life the Tory party have left out of your election campaign & thus die. And it is good.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I wondered whether we're getting close to the point where MPs would have to justify where they've been all week and what they've been doing.

Not an hour by hour log but a AM/PM - Commons Committee, Commons chamber, meeting with constituents - something along that lines. For ministers it should be a easier as they should be in their ministry when not voting or speaking; or out and about on ministry business.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian retweeted
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3 hrs3 hours ago
Ladbrokes make it 6/4 that Sir Malcolm won't be CON candidate in Kensington at GE15.
1/2 that he will
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I wondered whether we're getting close to the point where MPs would have to justify where they've been all week and what they've been doing.

Not an hour by hour log but a AM/PM - Commons Committee, Commons chamber, meeting with constituents - something along that lines. For ministers it should be a easier as they should be in their ministry when not voting or speaking; or out and about on ministry business.
I see no reason why this shouldn't be the case. Furthermore, this is a wonderful, positive suggestion.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:At coffeehouse,

“The other point I made, which I have been making for well over a year, is that the debates are better outside of the election campaign,” said Cameron.

“Last time I found, although the debates were excellent and I enjoyed taking part in them, they took all the life out of the election campaign, no one could about anything else.”

Dave Cameron - 23 February 2015

No one could what about anything else?
I jes cuts-n-paste 'em.
Is it an journalistic error or did Dave really say that?
I honestly don't know.
Dave starts blanking when the pressure gets high.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Anyone able to give a Balls v Osborne summary please?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Anyone able to give a Balls v Osborne summary please?
(The shouting is very loud. John Bercow interrupts, and tells MPs to “cut it out or get out”).

Balls says when the Tories shout, they have something to hide.

He says he wants to ask Osborne what he knew and when.
FuriousGeorge
Backbencher

Post by FuriousGeorge »

Apparently its all Labours fault because they were given the files 11 days before Parliament was dissolved, so they should have acted then.

Not that anything has been done in the last 5 years of this coalition.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Yep, Ed Balls can.
Ed Balls ‏@edballsmp · 3m3 minutes ago
George Osborne fails to answer any questions concerning his conversations with Lord Green on tax evasion at HSBC or the Swiss deal
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rachel Reeves ‏@RachelReevesMP 38m38 minutes ago
300,000 women a yr take maternity leave but @AndrewRosindell thinks can't do big job & be a mum. Tory women problem? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... m-tax.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Well, well, well .....
Lord Ashcroft @LordAshcroft
· 4m 4 minutes ago
Ashcroft National Poll, 20-22 Feb: CON 32%, LAB 36%, LDEM 7%, UKIP 11%, GRN 8%. Full details on @ConHome, 4pm.
http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... ost-seats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 5m5 minutes ago
ENGLAND ONLY shares @LordAshcroft poll
LAB 38
CON 32
UKIP 13
GRN 8
LD 6
At GE 10 CON had 11.4% lead
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Best tweet yet:
Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 4m 4 minutes ago
If GE10 in England went according to today's @LordAshcroft Engand figures LAB would have solid majority even if it lost all its Scotthsh MPs
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Twitter pointing out that the first London head of HSBC was Sir Ewen Cameron, Dave's great grandfather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewen_Cameron_(banker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 5m5 minutes ago
ENGLAND ONLY shares @LordAshcroft poll
LAB 38
CON 32
UKIP 13
GRN 8
LD 6
England's population must be 38% ethnic minorities, dole scroungers and rich liberals.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/02/as ... 1-green-8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For our groups, the ongoing rows about HSBC, tax avoidance and political donors had melded into a single shapeless story (“there was the guy with the Swiss bank account who hadn’t paid tax for twenty years but they didn’t prosecute. Wasn’t it the Boots man?”). They had not found any of it very edifying but neither was it very surprising, and our participants did not think of it as a party political question, let alone a decisive election issue: “There are so many ways of dodging tax – invest in a film, buy a forest, it’s been going on for decades. You go to your accountant and say ‘I don’t want to pay any tax’ and he’ll come back and say ‘OK, invest in this and this.’ Did Labour really change it in the thirteen years they were in government?”

Yes, move along, nothing to see here. Or in Belize....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Love the idea that Ed would stop MPs working in the family shop.

He wouldn't, even if they were. He'd stop them earning too much from it.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Yep, Ed Balls can.
Ed Balls ‏@edballsmp · 3m3 minutes ago
George Osborne fails to answer any questions concerning his conversations with Lord Green on tax evasion at HSBC or the Swiss deal
Thanks TGS. I really need to get on to that Twitter thing...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Labour’s Helen Goodman asks Osborne if he ever discussed tax avoidance at HSBC with Lord Green.

Osborne says the proper procedures were followed for the appointment of a minister. He is not privy to the tax affairs of any citizen. It would be an abuse if he were, he says.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... 4d47774c6a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Green headed the bank until 2010 before serving as the coalition's trade minister and as part of Cameron's Cabinet Committee for Banking Reform, and also as an adviser to George Osborne on banking."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02 ... 83530.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I feel indignant, overwhelmed, by the Tory Chancellor Osborne, in a position of responsibility, power & authority, responding with evasions & outright lies when asked straightforward, appropriate questions on the floor of the House of Commons.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I wondered whether we're getting close to the point where MPs would have to justify where they've been all week and what they've been doing.

Surely Osborne couldn't object to "mailshots" to each household saying eg "Michael Fallon earned £750 for 2 hours work this week at Tullet Prebon"?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Labour’s Helen Goodman asks Osborne if he ever discussed tax avoidance at HSBC with Lord Green.

Osborne says the proper procedures were followed for the appointment of a minister. He is not privy to the tax affairs of any citizen. It would be an abuse if he were, he says.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... 4d47774c6a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Green headed the bank until 2010 before serving as the coalition's trade minister and as part of Cameron's Cabinet Committee for Banking Reform, and also as an adviser to George Osborne on banking."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02 ... 83530.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I feel indignant, overwhelmed, by the Tory Chancellor Osborne, in a position of responsibility, power & authority, responding with evasions & outright lies when asked straightforward, appropriate questions on the floor of the House of Commons.
Hang on, it's the position of Green as a manager of a business, not his personal tax affairs.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andrew Hawkins ‏@Andrew_ComRes 14m14 minutes ago
RT @jameschappers: First of new series of @DailyMailUK/@ComResPolls out tonight at 10pm. Looks like interesting one to kick off with #GE2015

Mike Smithson
‏@MSmithsonPB
@Andrew_ComRes @jameschappers @DailyMailUK @ComResPolls Will the D Mail polls be phone surveys?

Tom Mludzinski ‏@tom_ComRes 12m12 minutes ago
@MSmithsonPB @Andrew_ComRes @jameschappers @DailyMailUK @ComResPolls yes they will, carrying on our tracking from 2006
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Love the idea that Ed would stop MPs working in the family shop.
[My bold]

And yet another clue into how a Tory brain works.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Hang on, it's the position of Green as a manager of a business, not his personal tax affairs.
Well yes.

Though interestingly depending on what Government info he had access to he may have been asked to declare things he could have been blackmailed about during his security clearance. The kind of things Andy Coulson wasn't asked about. In which case it would be appropriate to ask him about his personal finances (I'm not expert on this).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie 12m12 minutes ago
Tories have gone from 6% ahead in @LordAshcroft National Poll to 4% adrift. Worth noting these changes when looking at marginal seat polls.
Sophy Ridge ‏@SophyRidgeSky 11m11 minutes ago
Tory MPs in marginal seats unhappy w Rifkind's free time boast: "I work an 80hr week, the arrogance of his statement makes us all look lazy"
Yes - Rifkind has been most helpful in confirming that the superior sense of entitlement for doing not much is very much still in evidence in the Tory party. And this on the same day Dave has been banging on about creating a society where you should only expect to get 'something for something'. Duck house and underpants to that Cameron. Sort your own house out before you lecture us.