Tuesday 24th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 24th February 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Conservatives and Labour tied on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 23rd February -

Con 33%, (nc)
Lab 33%, (-1)
LD 8%, (nc)
UKIP 13%, (nc)
GRN 7%; (+1)

APP -19 (+1)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 24th February 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Good morafters peeps. We have internet problems here - so if I disappear for a while it will probably be because of that. We think it's telephone wires swinging around in the wind (makes a change from squirrels chewing them).
Labour Has Stopped Attacking The Greens Because It Could Lose Voters
The party’s internal research unit has decided there’s no point digging up dirt on the Greens. Instead, it’s focusing on the Conservatives.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/labo ... -could-los
Working on the wild side.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Good morafters peeps. We have internet problems here - so if I disappear for a while it will probably be because of that. We think it's telephone wires swinging around in the wind (makes a change from squirrels chewing them).
The party’s internal research unit has decided there’s no point digging up dirt on the Greens. Instead, it’s focusing on the Conservatives.

Morning all. Hope your swinging problems get sorted RR2.

Re. the Greens thing, it is always possible that the research team decided it was easier to let Natalie Bennett do their job for them!

http://www.lbc.co.uk/incredibly-awkward ... LtMIy9D.97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No wonder Lucas was pushing to get the TV debate gig, I really don't think Ed is going to have many problems seeing off Natalie.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Good morafters peeps. We have internet problems here - so if I disappear for a while it will probably be because of that. We think it's telephone wires swinging around in the wind (makes a change from squirrels chewing them).

Morning all. Hope your swinging problems get sorted RR2.

Re. the Greens thing, it is always possible that the research team decided it was easier to let Natalie Bennett do their job for them!

http://www.lbc.co.uk/incredibly-awkward ... LtMIy9D.97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No wonder Lucas was pushing to get the TV debate gig, I really don't think Ed is going to have many problems seeing off Natalie.
Well we've been doing some reporting and investigation re the faults. One of the problems has been identified as a Western power outtage at the base station which sends the wireless internet service to our area. So they say they are putting in a temporary generator asap to get the service back on until they get the power back. The other problem on our landline broadband service seems to be related to faulty wiring between here and our cabin (swinging or chewed wires most likely) - so we've disconnected the cabin (Mr Riots man shed) until we've got time to sort it out properly. We have to maintain two sources of internet service provision - and a landline phone - to make sure we've got cover most of the time. That costs us about £50 a month. Never believe any b........s that tell you living in the country is cheaper. It's not. It's just not.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Re the Greens thing. One - I think it's much better to be positively campaigning. Two - they are probably right that trying to point out flaws in Green candidates won't play well anyway. Much better to focus on what the Labour offer is in the areas that are most likely to matter to anyone undecided between Green and Labour.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 16m16 minutes ago
Labour source tells me party will use Opposition debate tmrw to stage vote on banning MPs having 2nd jobs Tories LDs on spot?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 6m6 minutes ago
Sir Malcolm Rifkind was handed "bottle of whisky and the revolver" by his party yesterday & he's done "the honourable thing". He's quit.
Resigned his committee chairmanship - not quit as in quit politics (yet anyway). Wonder if he'll still stand in his seat again - or decide to withdraw - gracefully or ungracefully.

Editing to say - Oh - I see he's resigned the whole caboodle. Gone from committee and standing down at election. Good. Just hope we don't see the 'charmer' turning up in the House of Lords. That would make me sick.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 6m6 minutes ago
Sir Malcolm Rifkind was handed "bottle of whisky and the revolver" by his party yesterday & he's done "the honourable thing". He's quit.
Resigned his committee chairmanship - not quit as in quit politics (yet anyway). Wonder if he'll still stand in his seat again - or decide to withdraw - gracefully or ungracefully.
He has also announced he will not be standing for re-election in May. Still too slow a reaction by Gove & Shapps, Rifkind did the damage yesterday.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 3m3 minutes ago
Kensington/Chelsea seat now in play with Rifkind quitting. Bound to be a big scrap over successor - Boris must regret taking Uxbridge.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Deacon ‏@MichaelPDeacon 4m4 minutes ago
Jenny Jones, Green press conference: "You can ask as many questions as you like about our manifesto but we won't be answering them today"
Eh?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hi Uxbridge Somethings Come Up.jpg
Hi Uxbridge Somethings Come Up.jpg (28.74 KiB) Viewed 12953 times
General Boles ‏@GeneralBoles 14m14 minutes ago
CHARGE!!!
James Kirkup ‏@jameskirkup 14m14 minutes ago
The scramble to get selected as Tory PPC in Kensington will be something to behold... Let the games begin.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Adam Bienkov ‏@AdamBienkov 13m13 minutes ago
Jenny Jones tells me they won't answer any of my questions on how they will pay for the policies they've announced today. Utter shambles.
What's going on? If Bennett is unwell why can't Jenny Jones speak for them instead - and be clear that she won't be able to fill in some of the details re their manifesto? Better that than field someone who is unwell and struggling.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Karen Buck MP ‏@KarenPBuckMP 9m9 minutes ago
Tory MPs still filibustering @CliveEfford's NHS Bill Ctee. Today has ranged from Durkheim to chocolate as a wrinkle cure. How long, oh Lord?
They are shameless.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

@rebeccariots2

As soon as I read about the Malcolm Rifkind developments, I thought "I bet Boris Johnson is spitting nails." I wonder if he'll try some way to get out of Uxbridge? (Cue jokes about people trying to get out of Uxbridge . . . )

Edited to remove un-needed comma
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

This kid is going to go far [youtube]XFismjYRcRM[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Kensington/Chelsea seat now in play with Rifkind quitting. Bound to be a big scrap over successor - Boris must regret taking Uxbridge.
There is a view that Uxbridge might actually be a better fit for him, especially if he does (as most believe) have genuine leadership ambitions.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kirstie Mary Allsopp ‏@KirstieMAllsopp 10m10 minutes ago
Oh bugger it, I might as well say it - Malcolm Rifkind is my local MP & I doubt very much they'll manage to replace him with someone better.
Guy Walters ‏@guywalters 9m9 minutes ago
@KirstieMAllsopp Why don't you stand?
They will deserve her.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Kirstie Mary Allsopp ‏@KirstieMAllsopp 10m10 minutes ago
Oh bugger it, I might as well say it - Malcolm Rifkind is my local MP & I doubt very much they'll manage to replace him with someone better.
Guy Walters ‏@guywalters 9m9 minutes ago
@KirstieMAllsopp Why don't you stand?
They will deserve her.
I think the HoC would look lovely with homemade lampshades and antimacassars, she would be an asset to the House.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 22m22 minutes ago
Electoral register down in 2014 in Ceredigion (-12%), Cardiff (-11%) and Oxford (-11%). Overall fall 2 %.
@yahyah
That's quite a fall in Ceredigion. Any ideas - students in Aberystwyth and Lampeter dropping off?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The G has made the comments below the line formatting how they used to be - no tucking responses underneath commentator's responded to. It's one long thread. A response post gives the name of the commentator responded to.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Electoral register down in 2014 in Ceredigion (-12%), Cardiff (-11%) and Oxford (-11%). Overall fall 2 %.
@yahyah
That's quite a fall in Ceredigion. Any ideas - students in Aberystwyth and Lampeter dropping off?
Many people moving house?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Council houses sold off per month 966 ;council houses built 77 per month.One for one apparently.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Is U-turn on local welfare funds a victory?
Patrick Butler
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... ds-victory
There was a good news story this month in the world of social security policy. At least better news than usual. Or maybe just delayed bad news. Local welfare provision funding was partially saved, for which happy event two cheers are in order, perhaps, rather than the usual three.

Under pressure from across the political spectrum, and after months of lobbying by campaigners, the government abandoned plans to scrap entirely its £178m-a-year funding for the emergency safety net for low-income families and individuals who face destitution.

As a result, councils will receive £74m of cash in 2015-16 rather than nothing at all. It’s a U-turn of sorts, and while still a cut of over 50% it is better than nothing. It’s certainly more than expected even two months ago. Victories have been thin on the ground recently for the poverty lobby. As one campaigner said to me: “It’s amazing. Before this we’d won nothing for years.”...
First paras supplied as per the Snozers request.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ooops....no, I've just responded to someone & it's logged underneath the post.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
@yahyah
That would be a staggering demographic / statistic for Ceredigion - it's mainly rural - housing market not exactly frisky at the mo. That's why I'm querying whether it's mainly due to students in the two main campus towns.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

More Brighton Green problems
"WE ALL know that last year the Green council, with support from the Conservative group on the council, voted through a 25 year loan of £36 million to the i360 project, against Labour opposition.
That is a legacy to the council and the taxpayer that we have to live with, and hope that the project is a success. However, it is not the only legacy the outgoing Greens are leaving us with. "

http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/opini ... e/?ref=mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
There is a view that Uxbridge might actually be a better fit for him, especially if he does (as most believe) have genuine leadership ambitions.
And there is an extra 2,000 majority in Uxbridge, which always comes in handy!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 6m6 minutes ago
Speaker Bercow just tore a strip off Jeremy Hunt for 'gross discourtesy' of giving lengthy answers that stop more topical Qs
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Emily Ashton ‏@elashton 9m9 minutes ago
Natalie Bennett tells #bbcdp: "I had a very bad interview this morning. I'm very sorry to Green Party members."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Anybody still claiming that Ed is running scared from having her in the debates? ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Even the BBC (News24) is only mentioning Jack Straw in passing. (As distinct from making a big issue out of his part - which, as much as I dislike the man, was really a crime of stupidity - although it's rather worrying how stupid these people who have held high office can be). All eyes are on Malcolm Rifkind.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
@yahyah

Ceredigion council do seem to be trying their best to get the registration change sorted smoothly so not sure.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
@yahyah
Unlikely. The housing market is not exactly booming here, decent houses can be on the market for literally years before getting a buyer because of the rurality of the area,
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: @yahyah
That would be a staggering demographic / statistic for Ceredigion - it's mainly rural - housing market not exactly frisky at the mo. That's why I'm querying whether it's mainly due to students in the two main campus towns.
Mortality rates are what for that area? Has it been specifically higher there? I know mortality rates have sharply risen in some areas during the last few years. Apologies for not having statistics at hand, RR2. I'm responding because I'm worried about people not currently on the electoral register. They've probably just been tossed off the register by current government during changes.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: @yahyah
Unlikely. The housing market is not exactly booming here, decent houses can be on the market for literally years before getting a buyer because of the rurality of the area,
You're quite right. Please see the post I've made to RR2 above.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
@yahyah

Ceredigion council do seem to be trying their best to get the registration change sorted smoothly so not sure.
Universities can no longer register first term students - like they could before the recent changes. This has lead to a massive drop off rate in university towns and cities.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

For any HSBC Jersey customers with undeclared tax liabilities there is now a window of opportunity to review their tax position and, if necessary, take action to prevent any action that may be carried out by HMRC. Making a voluntary disclosure will reduce the level of penalties charged by HMRC and in some circumstances; it may also reduce the tax bill itself.
If you think you may be affected by this latest breach of security then please contact our Tax Team.

h[url]ttp://www.hurst.co.uk/news/hmrc-obtains-hsbc- ... -list.html[/url]
They just can't stop themselves can they....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Gapes MP retweeted
Asa Bennett ‏@asabenn 52 mins52 minutes ago

Green MEP now blaming Natalie Bennett's car-crash interviews on Labour. A rather bold theory… " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:Mike Gapes MP retweeted

Green MEP now blaming Natalie Bennett's car-crash interviews on Labour. A rather bold theory… " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
:smack:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2 mins2 minutes ago

William Hill make it 9/2 that GRN leader, Natalie Bennett, will stand down before GE15

http://goo.gl/jBN1WA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Hi all, bit of techosadness chez Remarx today. I noticed (finally) that we've not been receiving emails for a few days, and given that I've changed nothing and everything's plugged in securely, I tried the internet on the same machine to find that the TCP/IP stack had finally packed in on the old beast. So, after 7-8 years with it as our main PC (running a version of linux that was desupported in about 2010!) I've finally decided to move the email to the shiny Win7 machine and set it up on Outlook 2010. All quite sad. That little linux box has run flawlessly for years, if not quietly, and when an email settings file got corrupted bout 8 months ago, I could see the writing on the wall.

I am now officially in thrall to Micro$oft, but I least now I've got a silent machine and no need to switch between the two boxes. The PC is dead; long live the PC...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A disaster for our democracy as nearly a million voters disappear from the register

Sadiq Khan MP, Labour’s Shadow Justice Secretary, responding to the Written Ministerial Statement on the Speaker’s Committee on the Electoral Commission, said:

“Ed Miliband warned weeks ago that nearly a million voters had disappeared off the register and these figures published today confirm Labour’s worst fears.

“They are a direct consequence of the way the Tories and Liberal Democrats hastily forced through changes to the way people register to vote. Ministers ignored warnings from experts, including the Electoral Commission, that young people, students and people living in private rented accommodation risked losing their vote, pushing ahead regardless, over-riding sensible safeguards that would have prevented this from happening.

“This is a disaster for our democracy.

“The result of this General Election will have huge consequences for the young. It will affect education and training at schools, colleges and universities. It will have an impact on the quantity and quality of jobs available afterwards. It will affect the rent paid for a first home and the chances of buying one. But it is precisely these young voices which are being silenced.”

February 24, 2015

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1119498 ... -a-million
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Hi all, bit of techosadness chez Remarx today. I noticed (finally) that we've not been receiving emails for a few days, and given that I've changed nothing and everything's plugged in securely, I tried the internet on the same machine to find that the TCP/IP stack had finally packed in on the old beast. So, after 7-8 years with it as our main PC (running a version of linux that was desupported in about 2010!) I've finally decided to move the email to the shiny Win7 machine and set it up on Outlook 2010. All quite sad. That little linux box has run flawlessly for years, if not quietly, and when an email settings file got corrupted bout 8 months ago, I could see the writing on the wall.

I am now officially in thrall to Micro$oft, but I least now I've got a silent machine and no need to switch between the two boxes. The PC is dead; long live the PC...
My sincere condolences.

I won't pay more money to Microsoft.
I'm using Linux still but have to tweak it often.
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 24 Feb, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

That is just so funny! :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

How on earth can that car crash interview (and I'm going with the cliche because it actually fits in this instance) be blamed on Labour attack campaigning as per some of those tweets? I listened to Ferrari and he was actually very calm - almost disturbingly gentle - in his questioning. And Ferrari is most certainly not Labour.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 7m7 minutes ago
Greens offer the politics of hoping something might be possible - which is why Bennett doesn’t need to do her sums http://specc.ie/1ErsZ4L" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

How on earth can that car crash interview (and I'm going with the cliche because it actually fits in this instance) be blamed on Labour attack campaigning as per some of those tweets? I listened to Ferrari and he was actually very calm - almost disturbingly gentle - in his questioning. And Ferrari is most certainly not Labour.
Having now listened to the interview, I'm at an even greater loss for words than Natalie Bennett. And she's the leader of the Green party? They're not going to persuade many voters with that sort of performance.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Students at private college told to repay grants
Some students say they feel betrayed after they were awarded money to help fund living costs while studying at ICE Academy

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... pay-grants
More shambles and very unfair dumping of responsibility for debt on unsuspecting individuals. Why is anybody in their right minds prepared to vote for this shower again?

No comments facility I see. Wouldn't have anything to do with who has been in charge (I use that term loosely) at BiS, would it?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Danny Alexander: if we allow the Tories to govern by themselves, it frightens me
http://www.libdemvoice.org/danny-alexan ... 44782.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A classic LDV post title. It conjures up an image of Danny Alexander as a little boy in pyjamas cowering under the covers and cuddling his Uncle Paddy teddy to make it all right. And this is what he thinks will project a solid winning message ...?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Having now listened to the interview, I'm at an even greater loss for words than Natalie Bennett. And she's the leader of the Green party? They're not going to persuade many voters with that sort of performance.
Has she given a good performance yet? She was unconvincing on Sky's "Meet The Leaders", crashed & burned on Sunday Politics and then these two absolute stinkers today; as AK said earlier, anybody still claiming that Ed is worried about facing her in the debates?