Thursday 26th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 26th February 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Conservatives and Labour tied on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 25th February -

Con 33%, (-2)
Lab 33%, (nc)
LD 8%, (+2)
UKIP 15%, (+1)
GRN 6%; (-1)

APP -16 (+2)
Toby Latimer

Re: Thursday 26th February 2015

Post by Toby Latimer »

A local party for local people.
B-wFwrCW4AApzVVxyzew.jpg
B-wFwrCW4AApzVVxyzew.jpg (87.43 KiB) Viewed 14600 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 25m25 minutes ago
Con spin job? I suspect Cameron hopes publishing the Jimmy Savile report today overshadows the immigration figures
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From BTL on Sparrow's blog today:
szwalby 1h ago
Strange how on Thursdays, Nick Clegg phone in day, this page is so easy to find! It flashes at you from the Home page, the news page, the politics page. Doesn't this paper know the meaning of "flogging a dead horse?"
He's so right. I hadn't really clocked it as a routine occurrence before - but today I wondered why it suddenly merited home page display - and put up before 8.30am.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Barry Sheerman MP ‏@BarrySheerman 6m6 minutes ago
Deeply upset that this weekend marks end of @eastcoast which had shown how well a publicly owned railway can work! @BBCLeeds @Examiner
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

BBC puff piece ; Cameron says he is is a fun guy. Feckin fungi more like
ScreenShot00252.jpg
ScreenShot00252.jpg (86.01 KiB) Viewed 14478 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Toby Latimer wrote:BBC puff piece ; Cameron says he is is a fun guy. Feckin fungi more like
ScreenShot00252.jpg

Women may prefer Ed B.

Ed Balls on Mumsnet: Shadow Chancellor says he is a 'long, slow burn' in the bedroom when asked about being named a 'sexy beast' by mums.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 71342.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Whoops.

Net long-term migration to the UK was estimated to be 298,000 in the year ending September 2014, a statistically significant increase from 210,000 in the previous 12 months, but below the peak of 320,000 in the year ending June 2005.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migration ... index.html

:o
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

In the last decade, the poverty rate among working households in private rent increased from 21% to 27%, while in other tenures it hardly changed. A likely reason for this is that the earnings of working renters did not rise in line with housing costs resulting in falling disposable incomes.

This has had an adverse impact on young adult poverty as a high and growing proportion of young adults now live in private rented accommodation: since 2002/03, the proportion of young adults in private rented accommodation increased by 10 percentage points to 37%.

- See more at: http://npi.org.uk/media/press-releases/ ... P49dB.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Tories have no answers to these issues for young people, they don't even admit they exist. Labour really need to keep plugging away at this, reminding voters about their policies on private rental reforms and youth employment, showing that they are aware of the problems and have policies to fix them.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Deeply upset that this weekend marks end of @eastcoast which had shown how well a publicly owned railway can work! @BBCLeeds @Examiner
2n
It's also the fact that it's gone to Branson (TaxHaven) Virgin that pisses me off. Anything Virgin is a "No, no!" for me so car or aeroplane now.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Whoops.

Net long-term migration to the UK was estimated to be 298,000 in the year ending September 2014, a statistically significant increase from 210,000 in the previous 12 months, but below the peak of 320,000 in the year ending June 2005.

Its all Labour's fault, you know.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

David Schneider on form.

http://huff.to/1A2R8bc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:rofl:
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Any NHS experts around because I need to know what to make of this tweet, where she says it's good in the first tweet yet agrees it's not to Willshome in her second tweet?
2015-02-26_095401.jpg
2015-02-26_095401.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 14421 times
I think that McKinsey, KPMG, and ex-United Health's (ex for now) Simon Stevens have played a blinder on the NHS (for the Tories and Orange Effers).
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uav8uMJ4kFc

The wild and wacky world of Rees-Mogg is neatly encapsulated in his own words on youtube. It's quite depressing to think my neighbours will probably re-elect him in a couple of months time. I cheer myself up by reminding myself that at least I don't have Liam Fox for my MP like my poor neighbours in North Somerset.....and then start seriously considering moving to Wales!!
FuriousGeorge
Backbencher

Post by FuriousGeorge »

giselle97 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
2n
It's also the fact that it's gone to Branson (TaxHaven) Virgin that pisses me off. Anything Virgin is a "No, no!" for me so car or aeroplane now.
So much for competition - if you want a direct train from Scotland to London you now have to go on a Virgin train.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

@Ernst
"Weird. I report back a council meeting the same night and so few people comment on it."

Sorry I'd gone to bed.
Thanks for good work and for keeping the mad cap tory's down. When I read they wanted to borrow/take from reserves 8000k to change the bin dates I thought "you're loopy". If you borrow that much you use it for good stuff not messing with bins.
I watched a bit of it but in the main had it on another tab and listened to it whilst I browsed around trying to find out more about the Manchester "deal".
Thanks again for hard work at Council! :)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

What are we expecting Hunt to say in his Savile statement to the Commons?
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

AngryAsWell wrote:@Ernst
"Weird. I report back a council meeting the same night and so few people comment on it."

Sorry I'd gone to bed.
Thanks for good work and for keeping the mad cap tory's down. When I read they wanted to borrow/take from reserves 8000k to change the bin dates I thought "you're loopy". If you borrow that much you use it for good stuff not messing with bins.
I watched a bit of it but in the main had it on another tab and listened to it whilst I browsed around trying to find out more about the Manchester "deal".
Ditto AAW's thanks Ernst. :)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:What are we expecting Hunt to say in his Savile statement to the Commons?
"Once again we're clearing up the mess left by the party opposite".

There will be no mention of Edwina Currie appointing Savile to look at the future of Broadmoor and letting him have free run of the place.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

StephenDolan wrote:What are we expecting Hunt to say in his Savile statement to the Commons?
Mid-Staffs ...

(Sorry, don't mean to demean the subject matter, just Hunt).
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Answering a question about Manchester:
2015-02-26_104149.jpg
2015-02-26_104149.jpg (109.04 KiB) Viewed 14362 times
https://twitter.com/cpeedell/status/570 ... 80/photo/1

I'm "going" with this. Has Labour lost its way on the NHS?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2015 ... four-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Rough sleeping up 55% up in for years"
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

2015-02-26_104938.jpg
2015-02-26_104938.jpg (124.79 KiB) Viewed 14346 times
http://labourlist.org/2015/02/devolving ... s-burnham/
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

giselle97 wrote:Answering a question about Manchester:
2015-02-26_104149.jpg

Burnham needs to talk to his local politicians very quickly.

Any sign that education funding will be devolved in a similar way?

Of course not...there's no consistency of thought across government in any of this at all.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

The rain is pouring down here. Goody. Means I can go to the Co-op for some milk without having to bother washing my hair, as everyone's will be a mess! #LAZYDAY
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Andrew Sparrow (Guardian) says:
I’m sorry for the radio silence over the last hour of so. I was stuck on a bus in a colossal traffic jam.
I wonder what explanation Nigel Farage would have given for the traffic jam?
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

HindleA wrote:Morning

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2015 ... four-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Rough sleeping up 55% up in for years"
Thanks for that AH. It's a disgrace, yet another one.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
"Once again we're clearing up the mess left by the party opposite".

There will be no mention of Edwina Currie appointing Savile to look at the future of Broadmoor and letting him have free run of the place.
A chap from the charity NAPAC on TV this morning made the very salient point that the workers at the hospital shouldn't be blamed, when the Prime Minister at the time insisted on over-riding her advisers & giving Savile a knighthood
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Toby Latimer wrote:BBC puff piece ; Cameron says he is is a fun guy. Feckin fungi more like
ScreenShot00252.jpg
One of those emetic moments, I think. He's fun in the same way that buboes are fashionable.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

yahyah wrote:
ScreenShot00252.jpg

Women may prefer Ed B.

Ed Balls on Mumsnet: Shadow Chancellor says he is a 'long, slow burn' in the bedroom when asked about being named a 'sexy beast' by mums.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 71342.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh lord. I do wish politicians of all parties would refrain from this stuff. It's unnecessary and I'll be the judge of who I find a sexy beast amongst our elected representatives - Mumsnet should find something a bit more relevant to talk about.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Whoops.

Its all Labour's fault, you know.
Obvs. Has Hodges pointed out yet how it's terrible news for Ed Miliband?
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

2015-02-26_111140.jpg
2015-02-26_111140.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 14311 times
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... istraction
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

FuriousGeorge wrote:
giselle97 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
2n
So much for competition - if you want a direct train from Scotland to London you now have to go on a Virgin train.
It's the weirdest thing. There's a common misconception that business thrives on competition, and that improves everyone's living standards by lowering prices and offering better service.

It really couldn't be more mistaken.

The whole point of capitalism is to maximise return - to your profits, and thence, shareholders. Nothing else essentially matters, as they are all secondary to the aim of making the biggest profit. And the best way of making that sort of money is cornering the market, annihilating the opposition and ensuring that you are unchallengable. I don't blame Branson for going for it - but I certainly blame the Tory government for allowing him to have a monopoly position in the rail 'market', and it should be loudly and repeatedly pointed out to the Tories that the 'competition' that they so proudly proclaim as a credo for improving the lives of people in the UK is being undermined by such mendacity as they've shown.

The fact that they are probably too stupid to understand the argument, or too in hock to commercial interests and various cartels is a separate matter that touches on greed and venality - the hallmarks of any card carrying Tory.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:@Ernst

Sorry I'd gone to bed.
You're welcome. I'm there to do my job. the 800K would have been insufficient. They'd also have needed £1.5m to convert all Bury households from 240l bins to 140l bins (the Trafford route), so the cost for a cheap electoral gimmick comes out at about £2.3m, and probably decreases the recycling rate again.

Tories eh? Lower than vermin.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
giselle97 wrote:Answering a question about Manchester:
2015-02-26_104149.jpg

Burnham needs to talk to his local politicians very quickly.

Any sign that education funding will be devolved in a similar way?

Of course not...there's no consistency of thought across government in any of this at all.
He certainly does, and I know he's in touch with Bury Labour, so I'm guessing he will be elsewhere. The proposal is fraught with danger, but what's the alternative? Hope the NHS funding and social care funding doesn't get cut any more? Because I'm sure it will. The best hope is that an incoming Labour government will actually fund this - assuming they don't cancel it out of hand, as they well might, for all the reasons people have stated.

I spent much of last night after the meeting chatting to the deputy leader of the council, the ex-deputy leader and the chair of the health scrutiny committee, and they shae great misgivings over the move, and they're in the position to know that detail. Osborne hasn't a fucking clue. His only interest is to unload responsibility and shed blame for future deaths. That's the Tory way.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

I can't make out if Roy Lilley is for Manchester or not, but RichardBlogger, who we follow is anti.

This is Lilly's comment: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/What ... i7BLCPtcY0
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

giselle97 wrote:I can't make out if Roy Lilley is for Manchester or not, but RichardBlogger, who we follow is anti.

This is Lilly's comment: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/What ... i7BLCPtcY0

Interesting.
How has it happened? Through a cunning device; a memorandum of understanding between the Treasury and a new regional board. Health money will go straight to Manchester. The agreement will include powers over the workforce, regulation, information sharing and NHS buildings.
So that NHS Property Services who manage own all NHS buildings in England will be broken up?
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Couldn't resist as ... it was my favourite thing to do as well!
2015-02-26_114956.jpg
2015-02-26_114956.jpg (89.2 KiB) Viewed 14250 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://speye.wordpress.com/2015/02/26/ ... droom-tax/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Tory plan to hit 515,000 social housing pensioners with the bedroom tax
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

What the hell is a "clipped weighted moving average" (as mentioned by someone elsewhere in a "fanzine" earlier today)?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:What the hell is a "clipped weighted moving average" (as mentioned by someone elsewhere in a "fanzine" earlier today)?
It doesn't exist (I tried to Google'd it) - NickyB's just made it up so that he can ignore inconvenient polls.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:What the hell is a "clipped weighted moving average" (as mentioned by someone elsewhere in a "fanzine" earlier today)?
It doesn't exist (I tried to Google'd it) - NickyB's just made it up so that he can ignore inconvenient polls.
Ah, thank you. I should have known, really.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Dunno about "clipped weighted moving average" but that dude needs a clipped ear for droning on mercilessly with his faux mathematics & boring everybody with pointless equations. I'm beginning to think he's a wind up merchant.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
yahyah wrote:
ScreenShot00252.jpg

Women may prefer Ed B.

Oh lord. I do wish politicians of all parties would refrain from this stuff. It's unnecessary and I'll be the judge of who I find a sexy beast amongst our elected representatives - Mumsnet should find something a bit more relevant to talk about.
To be fair to Ed Balls this was a Mumsnet thing (I think somebody posted a link here last week) with some quite hair raising comments on it; Ed had it sprung on him during the interview & really had no choice but to run with it. I thought he weathered it reasonably well, can you imagine how Gideon would have dealt with it. :sick:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:https://speye.wordpress.com/2015/02/26/ ... droom-tax/

The Tory plan to hit 515,000 social housing pensioners with the bedroom tax
They are despicable. There aren't enough one bedroom places available for the people already affected by the bedroom tax to downsize to .... so this is just designed to milk the money from those pensioners who find themselves affected. They won't be able to downsize ... and how the hell are they meant to increase their income to cover the deductions?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
yahyah wrote:
Women may prefer Ed B.

To be fair to Ed Balls this was a Mumsnet thing (I think somebody posted a link here last week) with some quite hair raising comments on it; Ed had it sprung on him during the interview & really had no choice but to run with it. I thought he weathered it reasonably well, can you imagine how Gideon would have dealt with it. :sick:
Gideon is never going to have to deal with it, let's face it. I'm pretty sure he didn't make the list. :D
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Toby Latimer wrote:Dunno about "clipped weighted moving average" but that dude needs a clipped ear for droning on mercilessly with his faux mathematics & boring everybody with pointless equations. I'm beginning to think he's a wind up merchant.
Sadly I think he is all too genuine, classic pub bore. So we've switched to "clipped weighted moving average" have we? :lol!:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Out of interest, and thinking about that devolved NHS funding to Greater Manchester I took a look at education and if were possibel to do the same.

Gt. Manch has 141 academies - 79 sponsored and 62 converters.

The 79 belong to 38 different sponsors so adding in the converters, there are, besides the 10 LAs, 100 different bodies running schools - those 100 are answerable directly to the DfE. And that doesn't include the Diocesan schools which haven't converted to academy status.

So what happens when Greater Manchester says "Right. We've got health...now for education"?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Andy Burnham mentioned Edwina Currie in his response to Jeremy Hunt's statement on the Savile report. He also mentioned the role of ministers and civil servants in ignoring normal procedures in public body appointments re Savile. I really hope these investigations crack on while people with answers are still alive to answer them. Currie is 68.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Out of interest, and thinking about that devolved NHS funding to Greater Manchester I took a look at education and if were possibel to do the same.

Gt. Manch has 141 academies - 79 sponsored and 62 converters.

The 79 belong to 38 different sponsors so adding in the converters, there are, besides the 10 LAs, 100 different bodies running schools - those 100 are answerable directly to the DfE. And that doesn't include the Diocesan schools which haven't converted to academy status.

So what happens when Greater Manchester says "Right. We've got health...now for education"?
What was that old film where some London borough declared independence?