Friday 27th Feb 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Re: Friday 27th Feb 2015

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Not really a runner though after this week's "MPs should only have one job" theme, surely?
True - but the Record is saying
JIM Murphy is to stand again as a Westminster MP in his East Renfrewshire constituency despite a pledge to get into the Scottish Parliament as soon as possible.
I don't see any conflict between standing at the GE and getting into the Scottish Parliament asap (ie 2016 Scottish elections). Even if an MSP were to stand down, I'm sure he won't want to fight a Scottish by-election while GE campaigning is in full swing. He can resign his Westminster seat after the SE rather than taking a year off.
While I get the logic of what you are saying, I still have reservations. One of the big criticisms raised against Boris during the last Mayoral campaign, certainly one I discussed more than once btl on Dave Hill''s blog, was that we were going to end up with a part time Mayor just filling time until he moved on to higher things; and that same criticism will be raised, rightly imo, by opponents in his own constituency as well as the wider political platform. Not saying he shouldn't do it, just saying it opens him to all sorts of attacks.
Yes - I can see your argument - but if he doesn't stand (and win) in the GE, Scottish Labour will be criticised for having a leader who hasn't been elected by anybody. He's going to have a hard time either way but I think he'll be in a stronger position fighting for the FM job as an MP rather than as an ex-MP.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote: True - but the Record is saying I don't see any conflict between standing at the GE and getting into the Scottish Parliament asap (ie 2016 Scottish elections). Even if an MSP were to stand down, I'm sure he won't want to fight a Scottish by-election while GE campaigning is in full swing. He can resign his Westminster seat after the SE rather than taking a year off.
While I get the logic of what you are saying, I still have reservations. One of the big criticisms raised against Boris during the last Mayoral campaign, certainly one I discussed more than once btl on Dave Hill''s blog, was that we were going to end up with a part time Mayor just filling time until he moved on to higher things; and that same criticism will be raised, rightly imo, by opponents in his own constituency as well as the wider political platform. Not saying he shouldn't do it, just saying it opens him to all sorts of attacks.
Yes - I can see your argument - but if he doesn't stand (and win) in the GE, Scottish Labour will be criticised for having a leader who hasn't been elected by anybody. He's going to have a hard time either way but I think he'll be in a stronger position fighting for the FM job as an MP rather than as an ex-MP.
Difficult choice either way, let us hope he is up to the job.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Night PF.
rebeccariots2 wrote:So - Mr Riots sees it violet and dark blue.

I see it white and gold.

He was right pissed off when I told him that the majority of those seeing it white and gold are younger - and a majority seeing it blue and black are over 60s.

He goes out into our half built porch to shore something up overnight - hits his head hard on a piece of timber laid across temporarily - and shouts out **CK. As I help him back in he says 'I'm alright but my rods and cones might have been shifted - let me look at that dress again'.
As has been pointed out elsewhere, there is only one blue & gold that matters today! ;)
Leonard Nimoy - what a great bloke he was. He even managed a convincing bad guy in Fringe.

As for the dress - on an iphone white and gold.

However on my precisely colour calibrated monitor very light blue murky brown/gold colour.

Which explains quite a lot.
Release the Guardvarks.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I'm struggling to come to terms with Newsnight, BBC2 flagship news and current affairs show, having a viewers poll on the colour of a poxy frock !

As soon as shouty Wark announced that, I switched channels.

Not a word about the Labour tuition fee pledge on this 'flagship' show - what a bloody disgrace ! (I suppose I shouldn't complain because viewers could always go to LDV where they now have 3 - yes 3 - articles on it :lol:)

Edit : sorry, make that 4 articles on LDV ! :rofl:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

I should also add on the dress bollocks I regularly take photographs under artificial light and even with a colour calibrated monitor and £2K of photographic equipment it is a problem.

I have photos of the same scene taken about 30 seconds apart, one looks brown and yellow, the other blue and white, why because I selected different white balance settings. The challenge is to make stuff look like it does in daylight under artificial light, and unless you have a neutral grey reference in shot you can go mad trying to get it right.

There is a reason wedding photography is still the domain of the well paid professional.
Release the Guardvarks.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

This piece is in tomorrows Times. It's by a guy that wrote a book and has declared there was £230billion wasted by Labour between 1997 & 2005.

Yes, he really has written a book about it :toss:

(Apologies for skewing the page but I can't get the detail to show on a smaller pic)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (242.02 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Pah,mere amateurs compared to IDS.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Just watching Daily Politcs.

Andrew Neil must have selected those guests: Atul Hatwal & Harry Cole ? Right-wing wank fest if ever I saw one.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I did like the fact that UKIP managed to reduce the savings available from cutting international aid from £11bn in the morning to £9bn by the afternoon.

I did wonder whether someone had been looking at AS' blog as I proved that their figures were rubbish since we only spend £11bn at the moment. If they want to reduce it to USA's % GNI it would be a saving of £8bn.

Should I ask for a credit?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

pk1 wrote:Just watching Daily Politcs.

Andrew Neil must have selected those guests: Atul Hatwal & Harry Cole ? Right-wing wank fest if ever I saw one.
Language Timothy!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
pk1 wrote:Just watching Daily Politcs.

Language Timothy!
Lol, sorry Sir although it's good to see it was only my language you didn't like - rather vindicates my comment :lol:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I did like the fact that UKIP managed to reduce the savings available from cutting international aid from £11bn in the morning to £9bn by the afternoon.

I did wonder whether someone had been looking at AS' blog as I proved that their figures were rubbish since we only spend £11bn at the moment. If they want to reduce it to USA's % GNI it would be a saving of £8bn.

Crikey, it takes a brave soul to post on AS' blog during a UKIP day !
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

As per @TE's lead, I should add that my job at a photo-repro house involved deputising for the production manager, and I've been involved in graphic design, and photo-editing, so have swum in RGB and Pantone™ charts-and-swatches and spent a fair bit of time playing with filters both for 'enhancement' and colour-correction purposes.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

pk1 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:I did like the fact that UKIP managed to reduce the savings available from cutting international aid from £11bn in the morning to £9bn by the afternoon.

Crikey, it takes a brave soul to post on AS' blog during a UKIP day !
Is any day not a UKIP day on there now?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Leonard Nimoy - what a great bloke he was. He even managed a convincing bad guy in Fringe.
There was a tweet not long after his death was announced where someone simply wrote "Quick! Get the soul magnets!", a tweet that nobody but Fringe fans could possibly understand. :)