Tuesday 3rd March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Tuesday 3rd March 2015

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

The Indy is presumably printing any old crap without checking it to save costs - they have forgotten which continent they are on.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 83243.html

But it does beg the question why Europe doesn't move its clocks forward now instead of end of March. Synching with America would make a lot of sense.

I was pretty annoyed once when I had to endure two short weekends in a year.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

David Lindsay ‏@davidaslindsay 3m3 minutes ago
Can you name #Oxfordshire's dominant party? BBC can't. Although its Leader is PM & sits for Oxfordshire constituency:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Just to let people know, The Grim Squeaker has been quite poorly, so can we join in wishing him well and a fast recovery?
Ta, AAW. Obviously everybody else was too busy rowing to notice my absence!! ;)
Not at all, Grim. I was wondering what'd happened to you when I was heading for the yard this afternoon. Hope you're better now :hug:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Any chance of a flicking the v's emoticon? Might be handy.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Night PF & cJA.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

NHS cash deal: Greater Manchester MPs voice fears in Commons
The fact that Stringer supports it should have the beware klaxons clanging loud.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One glimmer of hope (waves to Wolfie)
In response Sir Clive Betts, chair of the local government select committee and a champion of devolution, admitted there were still details to be ironed out
I thought it was all sign up
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Sadly I can't find HindleA in the list of FTN members anymore.
That's sad :(
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Sadly I can't find HindleA in the list of FTN members anymore.
That's sad :(

Group hug required!

We need to regroup, circle the wagons and come out all guns blazing

I think I may have missed a cliché somewhere

If those who have left are reading this (including our erstwhile Green friends) remember we are all on the same side in 90% of what we think - and we should take comfort from the fact we are more caring, intellectually curious and less dogmatic than those who sit on the other side of the divide

Just let us think a bit more before we post and be tolerant of those that may be in a bad mood on a certain day; we all have them......
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

discordantharmony wrote:Hi Guys.

Been out all day doing 'Work Related Activity Group' things and only just gotten back in.

Gosh, quite a lot of replies to my questions from this morning :). Have read through them cursorily and will re read them in full shortly but am literally blown away, not neccesarily by how much homelesness is happening outside my little bubble of a world (I always knew it did ;) ) but by the empathy and understanding you all show. Please don't think I'm being condesending cos I aint, but if the world were full of FTNers the world would be a much happier place :).

I have just checked on Google and all 3 of the night shelters I was familiar with have closed, 1 in Warrington and 2 in Manchester.

I remember only too well the little signs outside shops etc 'Don't give to the beggar, give to the charity' and how demeaning the words felt. Several of you said you give to the person and that made me smile that you refuse to tow the line that is being fed to you.

I will try not to fill the pages full of 'Stories of the Homeless', but once in a while may share something with you I find amusing if that is OK?
Please do share, its what we gather together here to do :)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

TechnicalEphemera wrote: But it does beg the question why Europe doesn't move its clocks forward now instead of end of March.
Something I'm always keen to whinge about if I can find anyone prepared to listen. :)
Clocks don't go back till the end of October, why the hell can't they go forward at the end of Feb?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SNP have dropped the Corporation Tax cutting agenda.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ ... .119785946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair play.

God knows what's in this plan. As Simon Wren Lewis said pre indyref, probably some good ideas with predictions at the top of every scale.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Pointed out to Cybernatter who was giving it all that about "in bed with the Tories" that his lot had joined with the Tories to pass their budgets.

This, apparently, is "consensus politics" and all good.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Get well soon, Squeaker 8-)
Thanks AK, appreciated.

Just to bring you all up to speed. On Saturday I walked into the town centre to run a few errands (and, serendipitously, signed the 38 Degrees "Save The NHS" petition; as I was walking home I felt a tightness in my chest which swiftly developed into a sickening pain, to the extent that I literally fell in to our local RSPCA shop (just five minutes from home) and asked them to call me an ambulance. Thankfully they resisted the obvious response to my feedline, closed the shop and did their best to keep me comfortable until the ambulance arrived.

When it did the paramedic onboard rapidly identified my symptoms as being a heart attack and, despite my local hospital being just 10 minutes away, felt it more sensible to drive an extra 15 minutes to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, an acute hospital with a speciaiist cardiology unit (Paul O'Grady went there when he had his heart attack a few years back); a damn good call frankly, as the treatment I received (a coronary angioplasty and the insertion of three stents into the main artery) was swift, incredibly interesting (you get to watch the whole procedure n the x-ray screen) and effective! And the care I received from the nursing staff on the Cardiac Care Unit was exemplary; my admiration for the ladies and gents who work as nurses within the NHS, which was already high, is now stratospheric!

So I have spent the last few days festooned with wires, have had my blood pressure taken more times than in my life to date and given Tony Hancock's proverbial armful of blood (not all intentionally, some was down to the Cannula Incident of Saturday Night, as it became known). But it seems no real damage has been done to the heart itself (although I may have to have a stent inserted into one of the other arteries at a later date) so the prognosis is good; a few days rest, a carrier bag full of pills and a change in diet should see me back to normal (better even, thanks to the stents) within a couple of weeks. Home now, so able to harangue you all again!! :dance:
So glad you are now on the mend Squeaker. :hug:

P.S. I did notice you were missing too.
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Interesting read:
This Billionaire Governor Taxed the Rich and Increased the Minimum Wage -- Now, His State's Economy Is One of the Best in the Country
Someone should tattoo this to the inside of Cameron & Osborne's eyelids:
The reason Gov. Dayton was able to radically transform Minnesota's economy into one of the best in the nation is simple arithmetic. Raising taxes on those who can afford to pay more will turn a deficit into a surplus. Raising the minimum wage will increase the median income. And in a state where education is a budget priority and economic growth is one of the highest in the nation, it only makes sense that more businesses would stay.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-gibs ... 37786.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

gilsey wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: But it does beg the question why Europe doesn't move its clocks forward now instead of end of March.
Something I'm always keen to whinge about if I can find anyone prepared to listen. :)
Clocks don't go back till the end of October, why the hell can't they go forward at the end of Feb?
Well if they were to go forward this weekend just think of the productivity savings. All those conference calls that wouldn't be missed by an hour :-)

Although these days outlook fixes all that stuff seamlessly but it is a nice idea.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2015/03/ ... -children/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good stuff. Sadly Cooper's policy of mandatory reporting is as silly as Cameron's. Would just lead to everything being reported as child abuse to cover the social worker's arse (understandably). And not enough staff to follow it up.

Since Cameron's Baby P lark, it's become impossible to discuss child protection properly.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

This looks fun.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... nthia.html

No idea what a regional bankruptcy means. Is it like football where you declare the debt written off and carry on as normal.

Presumably Austria will still lend the newly bankrupt state money (which wouldn't happen in the case of a country).

The exposure to Ukraine and Russia mentioned at the bottom is interesting.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 8m8 minutes ago
STORY: looks like @ukip has ditched its net migration target of 50,000, which spokesman was discussing only last week

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 6m6 minutes ago
.@ukip migration spokesman last week talked of cap of '50,000 for those who have the right to work with the option for permanent residence'

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 3m3 minutes ago
#ukip appear to be abandoning 50k net employment migration target having seen @conservatives come to blows over their 100k failure
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2015/03/ ... -children/

Good stuff. Sadly Cooper's policy of mandatory reporting is as silly as Cameron's. Would just lead to everything being reported as child abuse to cover the social worker's arse (understandably). And not enough staff to follow it up.

Since Cameron's Baby P lark, it's become impossible to discuss child protection properly.
In my view Cooper must not be permitted to hold the post of Home Secretary. She is worse than some of the worst bits of Blair/Brown. The fact she is better than May isn't enough. I hope they move her to defence or the foreign office if Labour wins.

Her demand tech companies moved beyond compliance with the law on sharing data with government was really scary stuff.

You are of course correct to fix this, first change attitudes and secondly resource it.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 3m3 minutes ago
EXCL: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Tories maintain clear lead for 2nd day, 2% ahead. CON 36%, LAB 34%. Suggests movement http://bit.ly/1wHjIEk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 5m5 minutes ago
EXCL: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Libs drop to 5%, a 25 year polling low. CON 36%, LAB 34%, LDEM 5%, UKIP 14%, GRN 6% http://bit.ly/1wHjIEk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not what I need at the end of today ....
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
EXCL: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Tories maintain clear lead for 2nd day, 2% ahead. CON 36%, LAB 34%. Suggests movement http://bit.ly/1wHjIEk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EXCL: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Libs drop to 5%, a 25 year polling low. CON 36%, LAB 34%, LDEM 5%, UKIP 14%, GRN 6% http://bit.ly/1wHjIEk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since there is no real reason for the polls to change I think it suggests nothing much has changed.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -sanctions
Nick Boles, a business and education minister, told constituents the way sanctions were used in some cases did need to be looked at but acknowledged that change was not likely until after the general election.

The remarks to a group of charity volunteers concerned about sanctions were reported by his local newspaper, the Grantham Journal. Boles agreed to take case studies of hardship caused by sanctions to the government, after being told about a claimant who was penalised after staying overnight at a hospital when their newborn baby was in intensive care.

“With some of these cases it seems to me that there is an inhuman inflexibility that is imposed on them … The sanctions are a worry, and do need to be looked at,” he said.
Nick Boles is obviously saying this because he's trying to get re-elected but I'm rather cheered by the fact that he feels he needs to appear softer on sanctions in order to win votes.
Some of his constituents might just have heard the segment with David Clapson's sister on Radio 4 yesterday ... he was the poor bloke who was diabetic and was sanctioned and died - when they found him he had no food in his flat and his fridge with his insulin in it was off because he'd had no money to put in the electricity meter. The segment was about the ongoing battle to see the DWP peer reviews of the 49 deaths of claimants who had been sanctioned. His sister's testimony was so bald in its description of his character and life, his medical condition and the circumstances he found himself in - and so heartfelt it made me sob out loud ...
There needs to be a reckoning when this coalition are removed - people need justice for the cruelty that has been inflicted on those least able to endure it.
There does indeed need to be a reckoning! Well said.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Since there is no real reason for the polls to change I think it suggests nothing much has changed.
I do hope you're right TE. I do find it hard to believe a whole lot of people have suddenly been smitten by Cameron and Osborne ... I increasingly think the daily polls are pretty pointless ... there are so many caveats, so many differences.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2015/03/ ... -children/

In my view Cooper must not be permitted to hold the post of Home Secretary. She is worse than some of the worst bits of Blair/Brown. The fact she is better than May isn't enough. I hope they move her to defence or the foreign office if Labour wins.

Her demand tech companies moved beyond compliance with the law on sharing data with government was really scary stuff.

You are of course correct to fix this, first change attitudes and secondly resource it.
Think someone has to commit to much more funding for social work.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Been out all day doing 'Work Related Activity Group' things and only just gotten back in.

Gosh, quite a lot of replies to my questions from this morning :). Have read through them cursorily and will re read them in full shortly but am literally blown away, not neccesarily by how much homelesness is happening outside my little bubble of a world (I always knew it did ;) ) but by the empathy and understanding you all show. Please don't think I'm being condesending cos I aint, but if the world were full of FTNers the world would be a much happier place :).

I have just checked on Google and all 3 of the night shelters I was familiar with have closed, 1 in Warrington and 2 in Manchester.

I remember only too well the little signs outside shops etc 'Don't give to the beggar, give to the charity' and how demeaning the words felt. Several of you said you give to the person and that made me smile that you refuse to tow the line that is being fed to you.

I will try not to fill the pages full of 'Stories of the Homeless', but once in a while may share something with you I find amusing if that is OK?
Forgot to reply earlier! I'm not out and about at night as much as I used to be but can tell you that in leafy SW London street-homelessness has increased, alongside an increase in people who are sofa-surfing. There are some excellent charity projects around here, some of whom run kitchens offering free or cheap cooked lunches, and they're all dealing with an increase in the numbers of people relying on them. There are also signs that more people are camping-out in the woodlands on the commons, where that had become a rarity.

I don't often give money but I'll give food and/or a hot drink if I can afford it and point people towards one of the local projects.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:
danesclose wrote:At the risk of kicking a hornet's nest, Andy Burnham has written a piece for the Manchester Evening News about the NHS & Greater Manchester.
But this is not the deal that I would be offering to Greater Manchester if I am Health Secretary in ten weeks’ time.
edited to include URL http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter
Outstanding, Andy Burnham, sincerely.
Please, everyone, read the article.
I'm proud of Andy Burnham & everyone else doing their best during this time of intentionally contentious government trying to play people like they're sport.
The only people coming out of this time we're living in who'll be remembered as disgraceful are the current Tory-led coalition government.
Yeah, agreed that's a fucking great article and it simply reiterates to me what Burnham's about. The bit about funding is the killer sentence. Any road up, that man's Labour through and through.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 17m17 minutes ago
Tories must not look like we want to punish people on benefits, says IDS. Warns against 'finger wagging' at the poor http://dailym.ai/1DPFzsO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has taken my breath away .... and not in a good way. How the hell does this man sleep at night - or dare to come out during the day?
He doesn't say 'Tories must not punish people on benefits', only that Tories must not look like they are doing it. :toss:

& welcome Tinybgoat

Hope you feel better soon Grim Squeaker :hug:

& please come back soon Adrian & Ephie.
We have a lot more in common than those things we disagree on.

These are tense times.
I used to log on every morning with breakfast to check the polls but the nearer to May 7th we get I'm not doing it because it is too nail biting. Nerves will get frayed & the net isn't the easiest way to communicate.
Probably is if you wish to chat to the ratbags on FTN!
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
Apropos of which, when I get unwanted sales calls, I let them do the spiel and wait for the gap where a question has been asked. Then I simply ask them "Have you considered letting Our Lord Jesus into your life?". Works a bloody treat.
I did once have some success in a similar vein, by inviting some folks bearing theological flyers in to discuss evolution.
Class!
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Evening all

First post for a week or so and see things have been getting a bit tetchy

Understandable as we are reaching the endgame and we need to ensure this corrupt, venal and basically twattish Government is out on its ear

I have been guilty of it myself at times but we need to try and hold our nerves in the face oa concerted attack on the Miliband leadership and the party itself by the forces of conservatism and their associated scum friends

We are of the left so have high expectations, want to face the really difficult decisions (not the ones that the bum-faced cretin millionaire keeps going out about, and are frequently let down

All I can say is there is only one way that will guarantee we do not have Cameron in 10 Downing Street at the end of May - get them out, get a btter Government in, then hold them to a higher standard

The alternative is not even worth thinking about

We have a great community here, don't let out own nervousness undermine it. Count to ten and show patience with each other
Say it all. Full stop.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Adding a belated welcome to @tinybgoat!
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

You post what you want my mate, this is FTN, we don't censor, we don't judge (much!) but we do listen and read. Go ahead.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Pretty good cartoon here from Ben Jennings on Cameron's housing pledge:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/comm ... ge-cartoon
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
David Lindsay ‏@davidaslindsay 3m3 minutes ago
Can you name #Oxfordshire's dominant party? BBC can't. Although its Leader is PM & sits for Oxfordshire constituency:
Quite. Noticeably absent from news articles on the subject.

I wonder if they'd have mentioned the political slant had it been a Labour council? By Jingo, I suspect they'd have gone that extra investigative mile!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Haven't seen @onebuttonmonkey for a wee while. Did he say he was off abroad for a couple of months? Or did I imagine that?