Tuesday 3rd March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 3rd March 2015

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
Charities have been warned that they will be stripped of grants if they campaign against the government.
Eric Pickles, the communities secretary, was denounced yesterday by charity chiefs, who said that he was using the threat to stifle democracy.
He was accused of a “squalid attempt” to make them “dance to the tune of government” during the election period.

In a written statement last week Mr Pickles said that research by the Institute of Economic Affairs had exposed the extensive practice of taxpayers money being given to pressure groups and supposed charities in turn being used to lobby government.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/poli ... 370498.ece
Sorry it's behind the Times pay wall for those who don't like putting money in Mr Murdochs pocket, including me, but I've managed to cut and paste and also copy the relevant storyline.

Who or what are supposed charities?
This might help a bit
Sector condemns Eric Pickles comments on 'sock-puppet' charities
http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/sector-con ... le/1336505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sometimes I just want to rip my head off and put it on backwards
This from Pickles on 1 March 2011
Eric Pickles warns council over cuts to charity budgets
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12613235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:I was with the Labour Women's Network on Saturday in Manchester. An all day affair hashing out policy, asking questions, listening, sharing our own experiences & we topped it off by campaigning in the afternoon when it started raining. I was thoroughly physically exhausted & slept most of Sunday.

It's hard work. I'll never underestimate the amount of work good MPs do for their people.
Those Labour party MPs are good, there's all kinds of difference between political parties.
Angela Eagle is a force of nature. There's no stopping that woman.

I'm in Labour Spring Event 2015 - Birmingham - Saturday, 14 March for Ed Miliband & Labour comrades - the five election pledges

It's hard work - I understand why people may not have an understanding of where we're going as a country. It's not being televised, for the most part.

p.s.
The Pink Bus :rock:
Interesting and empowering, isn't it? It's only when you go campaigning yourself do you fully realise just how hard it can be, and it's only when you meet MPs and so forth that you begin to understand what they have to put in, and just how the meeja traduces Labour MPs and shadcab members to the point where they're absolutely unrecognisable when you finally meet them. It can work the other way too - my MP David "plank" Nuttall, aka, the invisible man, is lionised because of his proto UKIP views, but I've met him more than once, and he is, I assure you, nothing like the interesting and principled man he's made out to be. He's insignificant, with no presence at all (compare and contrast Hilary Benn or Ivan Lewis) and possessing all the charisma of a pot plant. Oh, and his skin is actually a pale shade of grey from what I can discern.

But I digress. The customary measure is to monster all MPs and encourage the "they're all in it for themselves" meme - as though newspaper proprietors and hacks are somehow other worldy and above the fray. It really boils my piss. Anyhoo, I might be getting to meet Tom Watson on Thursday and go out door knocking with him. I'm actually looking forward to that, so the WeeBundle may be going to Brownies with MsRemarx (unusually).

But full marks - do I mean marx? - to you for turning out. There's nowt like meeting fellow campaigners and making contacts, and, like party conference (I'm told) it gees you up. It's proof that you're not alone; it's not just emails, disembodied voices on t'interwebs and a stack of leaflets dropped in a plastic bag by your front door whilst you were out - you've suddenly met a lot of people who think just like you.

Which is nice.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Grumpy Otter.jpg
Grumpy Otter.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 9694 times
Archibald Otter @Otter_News · 2h 2 hours ago
Grumpy Otter about to be taken for a walk...
I think I might just have found a new favourite twitter feed in Archibald Otter ...
Working on the wild side.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote: I don't know about Free Schools or Academies but going back to the 60's my LA Secondary Modern (no grammar school for me!) had a fully equipped lab, as do our current LA senior school that my G'kids went to.
Please don't worry on my account (as a grammar school kid in the 50/60s). :lol: :lol:
We had labs as well. Double Physics/Chemistry/Biology at least once a week to allow for practicals. (Triple for A-level students).

As an aside, there was also a practical exam for O-level woodwork. The teacher was told weeks in advance what timber he would need for each student. He always knew from this exactly which joints we would have to make - and we practiced them for weeks beforehand. :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Grumpy Otter.jpg
Archibald Otter @Otter_News · 2h 2 hours ago
Grumpy Otter about to be taken for a walk...
I think I might just have found a new favourite twitter feed in Archibald Otter ...
Grumpy? Fuming, more like.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

"Noting the large number of fences that have recently gone missing round here:

- Internet forums are poor means of communication, you have no visual or audio signals to aid understanding.
- They are not real time so you have a delay factor to contend with.
- Everybody has off days (Glenda had a particularly bad one when Dan arrived)."

Per TE.

Can I ask everybody to remember the above? We're clearly not all going to agree all of the time - it would be a dull place if we did - but I'm extremely keen to avoid any repetition of the last day or so. If my part in it is considered complicit, then I admit to posting extremely opaquely and failing to get the sort of clarity I appreciate in other posters, so apologies if that was the case.

Let's move on. There are bigger and better battles to fight, and they're practically imminent for many of us.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, ErnstRemarx.
The last thing I felt like doing was getting on transport to campaign in the rain in the later part of the afternoon after having turned up late (though I'd given myself an extra hour in the morning) because I was unable to find the venue in Manchester.
It's impossible to fake the diligent enthusiasm of the Labour party people I met on Saturday.
It's work.
Not just the MPs or Labour councillors - this democracy thing requires participation during all phases of the process.
I understand why people just want to rest - it's essential to keep balanced to maintain our health - but I had to push myself & sometimes that's what needs to be done.
I'd never get to the top of Snowden & back if stopped going forward.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03 ... mg00000067

Nick Boles said: “I do understand why there needs to be a disciplined system and there needs to be a process they go through, but I do think there are too many of these cases where it does seem inhumanly inflexible

But

As the furore built, Boles was forced to withdraw his attack on the "inhuman" sanctions regime, with Downing Street saying that the Prime Minister still has "full confidence" in him.

Is anyone surprised?
Certainly not. I've no fucking confidence in either Boles or that bacon faced, over privileged, mendacious waste of DNA currently masquerading as PM.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Charities have been warned that they will be stripped of grants if they campaign against the government.
Eric Pickles, the communities secretary, was denounced yesterday by charity chiefs, who said that he was using the threat to stifle democracy.
He was accused of a “squalid attempt” to make them “dance to the tune of government” during the election period.

In a written statement last week Mr Pickles said that research by the Institute of Economic Affairs had exposed the extensive practice of taxpayers money being given to pressure groups and supposed charities in turn being used to lobby government.

Sorry it's behind the Times pay wall for those who don't like putting money in Mr Murdochs pocket, including me, but I've managed to cut and paste and also copy the relevant storyline.

This might help a bit
Sector condemns Eric Pickles comments on 'sock-puppet' charities
http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/sector-con ... le/1336505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And at the same time, I wonder if he's going to pull the reins in on charities like public schools and right wing [some are charities] think tanks who we know lobby from their side of the great political divide.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Tue 03 Mar, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Sometimes I just want to rip my head off and put it on backwards
This from Pickles on 1 March 2011
Eric Pickles warns council over cuts to charity budgets
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12613235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Mr Pickles indicated he could take action against councils if they overly penalise charities
Charities have said cuts in the public funding they receive endanger David Cameron's Big Society agenda."

1 March
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:Thank you, ErnstRemarx.
The last thing I felt like doing was getting on transport to campaign in the rain in the later part of the afternoon after having turned up late (though I'd given myself an extra hour in the morning) because I was unable to find the venue in Manchester.
It's impossible to fake the diligent enthusiasm of the Labour party people I met on Saturday.
It's work.
Not just the MPs or Labour councillors - this democracy thing requires participation during all phases of the process.
I understand why people just want to rest - it's essential to keep balanced to maintain our health - but I had to push myself & sometimes that's what needs to be done.
I'd never get to the top of Snowden & back if stopped going forward.
You did a good thing, and you deserved your day of rest on the Sunday. I've done full days - wasn't long ago I did 9 hours leafleting with a would be councillor in an unwinnable ward. You know what? It's stuff like that that practically takes you out that can make a difference. You think it's pointless (as I did the year I won), but it's not. It never is. Because all the time you're putting a message out, more so when you knock on doors and talk to people.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ErnstRemarx wrote:"Noting the large number of fences that have recently gone missing round here:

- Internet forums are poor means of communication, you have no visual or audio signals to aid understanding.

Per TE.

Can I ask everybody to remember the above? We're clearly not all going to agree all of the time - it would be a dull place if we did - but I'm extremely keen to avoid any repetition of the last day or so. If my part in it is considered complicit, then I admit to posting extremely opaquely and failing to get the sort of clarity I appreciate in other posters, so apologies if that was the case.

Let's move on. There are bigger and better battles to fight, and they're practically imminent for many of us.
The factors you outlined above are why I'm not a fan of telephone canvassing. There's no body language\facial expression to help you. My days of door-knocking are over, however, and I've signed up to do 'phone canvassing since I really need to do something. (Also, I think people get more pissed off by being called to the 'phone rather than the door - or is that just me?)

Edited to insert an "e"

I feel better already.
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 03 Mar, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 17m17 minutes ago
Tories must not look like we want to punish people on benefits, says IDS. Warns against 'finger wagging' at the poor http://dailym.ai/1DPFzsO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has taken my breath away .... and not in a good way. How the hell does this man sleep at night - or dare to come out during the day?
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

It's all been quiet here regarding the Oxford report, which is probably a good thing.

However, what's become clear to me is that what is required is some form of national minicab license, much as they have in London.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PorFavor wrote: (Also, I think people get more pissed off by being called to the 'phone rather than the door - or is that just me?)
No, it isn't just you. I've just bought a phone which can block the daily cold calls.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

PorFavor wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:"Noting the large number of fences that have recently gone missing round here:

Per TE.

The factors you outlined above are why I'm not a fan of telephone canvassing. There's no body language\facial expression to help you. My days of door-knocking are over, however, and I've signed up to do 'phone canvassing since I really need to do somthing. (Also, I think people get more pissed off by being called to the 'phone rather than the door - or is that just me?)
Agreed. Phone canvassing is far worse than knocking on doors. It's much easier to tell a disembodied voice to piss off than if it's FTF.

Apropos of which, when I get unwanted sales calls, I let them do the spiel and wait for the gap where a question has been asked. Then I simply ask them "Have you considered letting Our Lord Jesus into your life?". Works a bloody treat.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -sanctions
Nick Boles, a business and education minister, told constituents the way sanctions were used in some cases did need to be looked at but acknowledged that change was not likely until after the general election.

The remarks to a group of charity volunteers concerned about sanctions were reported by his local newspaper, the Grantham Journal. Boles agreed to take case studies of hardship caused by sanctions to the government, after being told about a claimant who was penalised after staying overnight at a hospital when their newborn baby was in intensive care.

“With some of these cases it seems to me that there is an inhuman inflexibility that is imposed on them … The sanctions are a worry, and do need to be looked at,” he said.
Nick Boles is obviously saying this because he's trying to get re-elected but I'm rather cheered by the fact that he feels he needs to appear softer on sanctions in order to win votes.
Some of his constituents might just have heard the segment with David Clapson's sister on Radio 4 yesterday ... he was the poor bloke who was diabetic and was sanctioned and died - when they found him he had no food in his flat and his fridge with his insulin in it was off because he'd had no money to put in the electricity meter. The segment was about the ongoing battle to see the DWP peer reviews of the 49 deaths of claimants who had been sanctioned. His sister's testimony was so bald in its description of his character and life, his medical condition and the circumstances he found himself in - and so heartfelt it made me sob out loud ...
There needs to be a reckoning when this coalition are removed - people need justice for the cruelty that has been inflicted on those least able to endure it.
I resemble that remark (not the bit about David Clapson - I would have sobbed too - it's too disgusting for words and thinking about it moves me out of hope and into anger and hatred...which are negative, so I don't do it too much)...I'm rather hoping for a public meeting in the run up to the election...I may well ask a few questions (and be armed with various bits of information)...

Posted on the dark side in August 2012 (and I've realised, my first ever post...so it's his fault I'm here in the first place!)

As a constituent of Nick Boles I think I would find it difficult to comment without incurring the wrath of the mods (as this is my 1st post I'm making assumptions that serious angry ranting might not be acceptable!)

Suffice to say that as a founder of Policy Exchange, ex-City Of Westminster councillor, member of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notting_Hill_Set" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and this year promoted to be a Bildeberger, he is the embodiment of the new Tories - I'm only surprised I can't find/haven't seen any connection to ALEC/Atlantic Bridge (yet).

He's not good for my blood pressure in his regular outings on Newsnight either!

At least he's not on Newsnight any more (though I wouldn't watch it now anyway)...but tbf, I don't think he'd be worried about losing the seat - 51% of the vote (but there might be a few Kippers in Grantham...I live in Hope (apparently, also near Landslide, I've discovered))
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Boles in climbdown after claiming benefit sanctions are 'inhuman'
No 10 delivers statement from Business Minister, withdrawing remarks attacking benefit sanctions

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... human.html
Quick, the man is showing a bit of empathy - it's obscene - it musn't be allowed - stop him now. Tell him to take it all back.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

danesclose wrote:At the risk of kicking a hornet's nest, Andy Burnham has written a piece for the Manchester Evening News about the NHS & Greater Manchester.
But this is not the deal that I would be offering to Greater Manchester if I am Health Secretary in ten weeks’ time.
edited to include URL http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter
Outstanding, Andy Burnham, sincerely.
Please, everyone, read the article.
I'm proud of Andy Burnham & everyone else doing their best during this time of intentionally contentious government trying to play people like they're sport.
The only people coming out of this time we're living in who'll be remembered as disgraceful are the current Tory-led coalition government.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sell, Sell, Sell! Maximus Share Prices Could Tumble After Welfare To Work Scandal Rocks Australia

https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... australia/
I wonder if Ephie knew this?

It seems they have their pudgy grubby fingers in many pies worldwide.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'm just about to have a read.

Googled Maximus AU. A lot of hits. They're also in Saudi Arabia and Canada as well as the United States.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory Minister Says Prosecuting Firms Paying Below Minimum Wage Is 'Envy'
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03 ... _hp_ref=tw
They're certainly on form today.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mmmm. Maximus also heavily into health insurance programmes. And child care...

Anyone else smell a takeover of the UK?

Wickepedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximus_Inc. Scroll down to criticisms.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Funny that if when you scroll down a little further and try a lot of the links on the right hand side you find blank pages.

Is that normal?

Edited for accuracy.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Watch: Maximus Scandal in Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/ ... 183437.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Good news - the Lib Dems must be planning to return to whatever planet they came from:
The UK Government has confirmed widespread support for its plans to make commercial spaceflight operations in the UK a reality by 2018.

...UK Business Secretary Vince Cable said: “Paving the way for a national spaceport is one of our biggest science achievements in this parliament. It greatly underscores the work of our space innovation and growth strategy to position the UK as a world-leader in this exciting arena that is expected to be worth up to £400 billion a year to the global economy by 2030.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ ... -1-3707399

Amazing - a world-leader in spaceports in just 5 years!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This comes in the Well, I never, shocked etc category...

Inspiration Trust has been asked by the Department for Education whether it would be willing to sponsor the Hewett School in Norwich if, following her consultation, the Secretary of State decides to make an Academy Order.

http://www.inspirationtrust.org/latest/hewett_school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, that's the Inspiration Trust whose chairman is the same Theodore Agnew who is the academies board chief at the DfE who seems to have asked himself if he wants another school.

Tristram Hunt can tell them all to fuck off.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 17m17 minutes ago
Tories must not look like we want to punish people on benefits, says IDS. Warns against 'finger wagging' at the poor http://dailym.ai/1DPFzsO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has taken my breath away .... and not in a good way. How the hell does this man sleep at night - or dare to come out during the day?
He doesn't say 'Tories must not punish people on benefits', only that Tories must not look like they are doing it. :toss:

& welcome Tinybgoat

Hope you feel better soon Grim Squeaker :hug:

& please come back soon Adrian & Ephie.
We have a lot more in common than those things we disagree on.

These are tense times.
I used to log on every morning with breakfast to check the polls but the nearer to May 7th we get I'm not doing it because it is too nail biting. Nerves will get frayed & the net isn't the easiest way to communicate.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Just to let people know, The Grim Squeaker has been quite poorly, so can we join in wishing him well and a fast recovery?
Ta, AAW. Obviously everybody else was too busy rowing to notice my absence!! ;)
I like a nice row. Makes me nostalgic.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sadly I can't find HindleA in the list of FTN members anymore.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Apropos of which, when I get unwanted sales calls, I let them do the spiel and wait for the gap where a question has been asked. Then I simply ask them "Have you considered letting Our Lord Jesus into your life?". Works a bloody treat.
I did once have some success in a similar vein, by inviting some folks bearing theological flyers in to discuss evolution.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Mr Pickles said that research by the Institute of Economic Affairs

Good to see he's using research by an entirely non-partisan body and not at all libertarian right wingers...oh hang on...
The IEA is a charity!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Eric_WLothian wrote:Good news - the Lib Dems must be planning to return to whatever planet they came from:
The UK Government has confirmed widespread support for its plans to make commercial spaceflight operations in the UK a reality by 2018.

...UK Business Secretary Vince Cable said: “Paving the way for a national spaceport is one of our biggest science achievements in this parliament. It greatly underscores the work of our space innovation and growth strategy to position the UK as a world-leader in this exciting arena that is expected to be worth up to £400 billion a year to the global economy by 2030.

Jesus Christ, who makes this shit up; and why does our media print it without taking the piss.

Some basics:

1. The UK remains the only country <Clarkson mode on> IN --- THE --- WORLD <Clarkson mode off> to have developed satellite launch capability and discarded it.

2. Satellite launches need good weather, see French Guyana, Florida, and Nevada. Being Equatorial helps as well. Scotland (or indeed anywhere in the UK) is buggered.

3. Commercial space flight is 5-10 years away for rich joy riders. Even then it will not resemble commercial aviation in volume or safety. On the plus side the mortality rate of rich muppets may be quite high.

4. Sub orbital aviation is 30+ years away, if the economics ever stack up. Such a venture would need to be located at a major city, London, New York, Bejing, Tokyo, Frankfurt, Sydney, San Francisco. It might serve very long hops between key cities (London New York are too close, but London San Fran, Tokyo, Sydney maybe).

5. Such a venture would require huge lift capacity and very rapid turnaround to offset the massive premium in energy.

6. Nobody is working on an A380 that can travel at hypersonic speeds.

7. Even if they were it would cost 10 times Concorde and take 3 times as long.

This is just PR shite from Cable.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:Watch: Maximus Scandal in Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/ ... 183437.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well worth a watch. And I'd suggest to anyone that has to use Maximus that they keep a very close eye on their paperwork.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Hang on a second.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 83055.html

Police are presumably hunting for a space Quote L-A-S-E-R Quote controlled from a disguised volcano by a small bald man and his mini me.

Perhaps they should have paid One Beeelion Dollars.
Release the Guardvarks.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:Good news - the Lib Dems must be planning to return to whatever planet they came from:

Jesus Christ, who makes this shit up; and why does our media print it without taking the piss.

Some basics:

1. The UK remains the only country <Clarkson mode on> IN --- THE --- WORLD <Clarkson mode off> to have developed satellite launch capability and discarded it.

2. Satellite launches need good weather, see French Guyana, Florida, and Nevada. Being Equatorial helps as well. Scotland (or indeed anywhere in the UK) is buggered.

3. Commercial space flight is 5-10 years away for rich joy riders. Even then it will not resemble commercial aviation in volume or safety. On the plus side the mortality rate of rich muppets may be quite high.

4. Sub orbital aviation is 30+ years away, if the economics ever stack up. Such a venture would need to be located at a major city, London, New York, Bejing, Tokyo, Frankfurt, Sydney, San Francisco. It might serve very long hops between key cities (London New York are too close, but London San Fran, Tokyo, Sydney maybe).

5. Such a venture would require huge lift capacity and very rapid turnaround to offset the massive premium in energy.

6. Nobody is working on an A380 that can travel at hypersonic speeds.

7. Even if they were it would cost 10 times Concorde and take 3 times as long.

This is just PR shite from Cable.
One of Sturgeon's 'reasons' for buying Prestwick (1 Ryanair flight in and out per day) was that she wanted it to be the first UK spaceport. I could (after donning the tinfoil hat) suggest that 'news' like this could boost the SNP, to the advantage of the Tories.

If Prestwick is chosen before the election, I reserve the right to say 'I told you so' :lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Above - You can't tell me Sturgeon is stupid enough to believe this shit?

I had her pegged as a nationalist fanatic not a blithering idiot.
Release the Guardvarks.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Above - You can't tell me Sturgeon is stupid enough to believe this shit?

Both, I think. This is from when she was DFM:
Scottish government-owned Prestwick Airport is in a good position to become the UK's first spaceport, the deputy first minister has said.

...The proposal to attract a spaceport to Prestwick was laid out in a long-term vision for the future of the airport, which is used by budget airline Ryanair.
Scottish ministers have committed £10m of investment to Prestwick Airport, which is going towards operating costs, a repairs backlog and improvements to the terminal building.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-30005506
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Eric_WLothian wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:Above - You can't tell me Sturgeon is stupid enough to believe this shit?

Scottish government-owned Prestwick Airport is in a good position to become the UK's first spaceport, the deputy first minister has said.

...The proposal to attract a spaceport to Prestwick was laid out in a long-term vision for the future of the airport, which is used by budget airline Ryanair.
Scottish ministers have committed £10m of investment to Prestwick Airport, which is going towards operating costs, a repairs backlog and improvements to the terminal building.
Don't suppose the Scottish Government has a vacancy for the post of Mad Scientist?

Plus I have this bridge I want to sell them.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Evening all

First post for a week or so and see things have been getting a bit tetchy

Understandable as we are reaching the endgame and we need to ensure this corrupt, venal and basically twattish Government is out on its ear

I have been guilty of it myself at times but we need to try and hold our nerves in the face oa concerted attack on the Miliband leadership and the party itself by the forces of conservatism and their associated scum friends

We are of the left so have high expectations, want to face the really difficult decisions (not the ones that the bum-faced cretin millionaire keeps going out about, and are frequently let down

All I can say is there is only one way that will guarantee we do not have Cameron in 10 Downing Street at the end of May - get them out, get a btter Government in, then hold them to a higher standard

The alternative is not even worth thinking about

We have a great community here, don't let out own nervousness undermine it. Count to ten and show patience with each other
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Get well soon, Squeaker 8-)
Thanks AK, appreciated.

Just to bring you all up to speed. On Saturday I walked into the town centre to run a few errands (and, serendipitously, signed the 38 Degrees "Save The NHS" petition; as I was walking home I felt a tightness in my chest which swiftly developed into a sickening pain, to the extent that I literally fell in to our local RSPCA shop (just five minutes from home) and asked them to call me an ambulance. Thankfully they resisted the obvious response to my feedline, closed the shop and did their best to keep me comfortable until the ambulance arrived.

When it did the paramedic onboard rapidly identified my symptoms as being a heart attack and, despite my local hospital being just 10 minutes away, felt it more sensible to drive an extra 15 minutes to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, an acute hospital with a speciaiist cardiology unit (Paul O'Grady went there when he had his heart attack a few years back); a damn good call frankly, as the treatment I received (a coronary angioplasty and the insertion of three stents into the main artery) was swift, incredibly interesting (you get to watch the whole procedure n the x-ray screen) and effective! And the care I received from the nursing staff on the Cardiac Care Unit was exemplary; my admiration for the ladies and gents who work as nurses within the NHS, which was already high, is now stratospheric!

So I have spent the last few days festooned with wires, have had my blood pressure taken more times than in my life to date and given Tony Hancock's proverbial armful of blood (not all intentionally, some was down to the Cannula Incident of Saturday Night, as it became known). But it seems no real damage has been done to the heart itself (although I may have to have a stent inserted into one of the other arteries at a later date) so the prognosis is good; a few days rest, a carrier bag full of pills and a change in diet should see me back to normal (better even, thanks to the stents) within a couple of weeks. Home now, so able to harangue you all again!! :dance:
That sounds horrible TGS. Glad you had a good experience at the hospital and I hope you are better soon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Just realised Robert S hasn't appeared here today, hope he is back soon.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:

Don't suppose the Scottish Government has a vacancy for the post of Mad Scientist?

Plus I have this bridge I want to sell them.
But it would take longer than an election campaign for the science to be exposed.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

refitman wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Get well soon, Squeaker 8-)
Thanks AK, appreciated.

Just to bring you all up to speed. On Saturday I walked into the town centre to run a few errands (and, serendipitously, signed the 38 Degrees "Save The NHS" petition; as I was walking home I felt a tightness in my chest which swiftly developed into a sickening pain, to the extent that I literally fell in to our local RSPCA shop (just five minutes from home) and asked them to call me an ambulance. Thankfully they resisted the obvious response to my feedline, closed the shop and did their best to keep me comfortable until the ambulance arrived.

When it did the paramedic onboard rapidly identified my symptoms as being a heart attack and, despite my local hospital being just 10 minutes away, felt it more sensible to drive an extra 15 minutes to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, an acute hospital with a speciaiist cardiology unit (Paul O'Grady went there when he had his heart attack a few years back); a damn good call frankly, as the treatment I received (a coronary angioplasty and the insertion of three stents into the main artery) was swift, incredibly interesting (you get to watch the whole procedure n the x-ray screen) and effective! And the care I received from the nursing staff on the Cardiac Care Unit was exemplary; my admiration for the ladies and gents who work as nurses within the NHS, which was already high, is now stratospheric!

So I have spent the last few days festooned with wires, have had my blood pressure taken more times than in my life to date and given Tony Hancock's proverbial armful of blood (not all intentionally, some was down to the Cannula Incident of Saturday Night, as it became known). But it seems no real damage has been done to the heart itself (although I may have to have a stent inserted into one of the other arteries at a later date) so the prognosis is good; a few days rest, a carrier bag full of pills and a change in diet should see me back to normal (better even, thanks to the stents) within a couple of weeks. Home now, so able to harangue you all again!! :dance:
That sounds horrible TGS. Glad you had a good experience at the hospital and I hope you are better soon.
I've had better weekends, it has to be said. Just a question of taking the tablets and doing the right things; "Five a day" isn't so daunting when you realise beans on toast, and even a portion of popcorn (without salt or butter of course) can count as one portion!
Somewhere over our heads the Prospero satellite, launched by a Black Arrow rocket, still orbits; an all British venture which, just as it was beginning to show fruit, was discarded by a Conservative administration? With a bit of vision on the part of Ted Heath's government it could have been Black Knight/Blue Streak combinations carrying lucrative payloads into orbit instead of the (largely) French Ariane; usual Tory short-sightedness, looking at short term cost over longer term value.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Body language - smileys don't suffice
As close as we are to each other, we're interacting with words here, not even spoken words.
It's a tense time.

Tories do one thing well.
Tories vote Tory without fail.
Tories don't play fair, as a group, & I don't trust their political party.
Tory leadership for almost five years tell me everything I need to know about their group values.
An individual in a political party is always a human being.
A Tory politician remaining Tory after these years has made a choice.
Over & over again, the same choice.
That's a hell of lot different from voting badly on a bill one time.
People are free to vote for Tories - it's their right.
I'm a Labour party member & supporter - that's my right.
Tories hide behind decent people when it suits them to do so - current government do this because they've done intentionally cruel things as a group without remorse.
It's important for current government in particular to sometimes say the message, 'all political parties are the same...'.
But that's not true.
People know what the Bedroom Tax is & know it's a Tory piece of legislation never reconsidered by Tories over & over again during the last five years.
The Opposition Days devoted to repealing the Bedroom Tax didn't move the Tory party to change their legislation.
Not all governments are the same.
Current government made up of Tory-LibDems are responsible for their choices made over the last five years.
Every single choice made by this Tory-led coalition government belongs to them & is recorded for history to see.

I will never forget this time, this government.
I will continue to work for justice.
Current government have frightened people with frightening policies.
Ain't nobody forces anyone to be a Tory.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, friends, I do love you, my family
JA
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

Hi Guys.

Been out all day doing 'Work Related Activity Group' things and only just gotten back in.

Gosh, quite a lot of replies to my questions from this morning :). Have read through them cursorily and will re read them in full shortly but am literally blown away, not neccesarily by how much homelesness is happening outside my little bubble of a world (I always knew it did ;) ) but by the empathy and understanding you all show. Please don't think I'm being condesending cos I aint, but if the world were full of FTNers the world would be a much happier place :).

I have just checked on Google and all 3 of the night shelters I was familiar with have closed, 1 in Warrington and 2 in Manchester.

I remember only too well the little signs outside shops etc 'Don't give to the beggar, give to the charity' and how demeaning the words felt. Several of you said you give to the person and that made me smile that you refuse to tow the line that is being fed to you.

I will try not to fill the pages full of 'Stories of the Homeless', but once in a while may share something with you I find amusing if that is OK?