Wednesday 4th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Re: Wednesday 4th March 2015

Post by thatchersorphan »

Since 2010, homelessness in London has increased by a staggering 79 per cent. The homelessness charity Crisis say that the rise is due to welfare reforms, a chronic housing shortage and the fact that homeless people are not considered a priority.

http://leftfootforward.org/2015/02/home ... ince-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And of course that's only the homeless they count - there's some that sleep away from town centres.
Meanwhile they're evicting squatted commercial buildings fairly fast now, then staffing them with security.
Higher profile groups like the love activists and bohemians for soho are getting the brunt of that.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

thatchersorphan wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Back to homelessness for a sec
Gail ‏@CharlieWoof81 · 12h12 hours ago
Homelessness in Manchester shoots up 150pc under David Cameron http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … thanks Dave

Night all

On Friday, Manchester council is set to sign off £2m in cuts to homelessness funding – including to the city’s flagship Booth Centre project – on top of previous savings and hostel closures.
It's going to get worse....
That's really bad news and surely a false economy. These cuts are just cruel and, once again, hitting those who can't fight back :(
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

On homelessness and councils, I just remembered something I found on the swep protocol when putting together tweets for an #opsafewinter twitterstorm
http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/budget-c ... 01.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rough sleepers risk dying on the streets this winter as one in three council workers say they are less able to provide emergency accommodation in freezing temperatures following budget cuts.
A council officer in the north west, said: ‘It feels like homelessness is no longer a priority. This is very sad because we have worked with a client who lost their toes as a direct result of frost bite whilst rough sleeping.’
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Political Scrapbook ‏@PSbook 3h3 hours ago
NEW → Top Tory MP: it's "impossible" to raise family on £67,000, suggests £225,000 allowance http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/03/m ... us-225000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Yup - you read that right - he wants an 'allowance' (unaudited) of £225,000. And it's Adam Afriye.
Wow, just wow.

No normal person earns that sort of money, that really is 1% stuff.
If he wants an income like that, he can quit politics and go into something else. Like managing hedge funds, or being the Chief Executive of a wealthy Local Authority, or being a university Vice-Chancellor, or a high-class rent-boy, or something. His colleague Shapps/Green/Fox/etc., could probably sell him a book about getting rich quick...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...