Friday 6th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Friday 6th March 2015

Post by pk1 »

Blimey ! Have a look at the background to the Green Party conference.

:sick:

Sorry for skewing the page but I'm on my iPad and can't change the image size. If anybody knows what free app I need to enable me to do this, it would be much appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (106.9 KiB) Viewed 13155 times
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

The 'left wing' Purnell banging the drum for welfare reform and David (now Lord) Freud in 2008, preparing the groundwork, and laying the foundations for IDS misery project http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are.labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00297.jpg
ScreenShot00297.jpg (166.86 KiB) Viewed 13155 times
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Purnell is an arsehole, but to be fair to him the point about long term unemployed not taking available work isn't particularly objectionable. This is what Reeves was talking about specifically too when the Guardian cacked on her with that "tougher than IDS" headline.

The rest of that agenda though is bollocks. They ought to have stuck with Jonathan Portes at the DWP.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Pembrokeshire council tax rises by 4.5%
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-31755797
Carmarthenshire is getting a 4.85% rise.
Working on the wild side.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

ephemerid wrote:More on ESA........and Maximus.

If you are a person with a job, but have to go off sick for a while with something that lasts for some time (eg. cancer or a fracture, say) you have to supply medical certificates for the duration.
The new Health and Work Service (run by a subsidiary of Maximus) is contracted to help employers get you back to work. The HWS rings you at home and discusses your return to work.
If HWS decides you should go back to work, irrespective of the view of your GP or consultant, the employer is within his rights to sack you if you do not comply.

If you have cancer, and your treatment is likely to leave you unable to work for several months but your employer wants to keep your job open for you, he can do so and not involve HWS.
However, if your Statutory Sick Pay runs out before you can go back to work, you are entitled to claim ESA. As long as you provide certification, you're OK for the first 12 weeks.
After that, you get the WCA to determine entitlement after week 13. This is now done by Maximus.

If you get a WRAG allocation, you must comply with the jobsearch conditionality - even though you already have a job.

There have been several cases recently in which people with serious illness, but who are expected to make a full recovery in time, have jobs to go back to but are claiming ESA temporarily because their SSP has run out, have been sanctioned for failing to comply with work-related activity.

So if you are ill, too ill to work, but actually have a job, you have to look for another one if you need to claim ESA for a while.
Even if you provide proof that your job is waiting for you, you have to engage with work-related activity or else.

It's mad.
The govt have changed statutory sick pay - http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 326s01.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Fair play to Welsh local politicians and the Welsh government.

Why Plaid knock about with the SNP, god only knows.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Toby Latimer wrote:The 'left wing' Purnell banging the drum for welfare reform and David (now Lord) Freud in 2008, preparing the groundwork, and laying the foundations for IDS misery project http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are.labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00297.jpg
Reading that makes my blood run cold. They don't put faces to their dogma do they.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'd like to borrow the Boris water cannon and blast the shabby 'ruling' councillors and greedy directors at Pembrokeshire County Council off the premises and out of the county. Read and weep. (The councillor writing this is a good guy btw.)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Just seen Lucas. She actually thinks the SNP "stand up to big business".

She must surely know they supported a race to the bottom on Corporation Tax until a few days ago.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Just found Anatoly's round up:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Four local council byelections this week:

Essex CC - Tory gain from UKIP in a division which as in 2013 saw a close three way contest, though this time UKIP fell from first to third as both the Tories and Labour (who came third then despite increasing their share on four years earlier when the Tories gained this division from them, winning by nearly 2 to 1 with UKIP not far behind) increased their vote modestly; Labour may perhaps have hoped for better given that they held this in 2005 and earlier elections. Greens took just 5%, though that was up on last time and easily beat an Independent in last place. There was no LibDem here, for the first time in recent years.

Brent - Tory hold in what is now their only ward in this borough (in the other one they won last year, the councillors have now formed a breakaway group) and traditionally their safest, though they saw their margin cut with a swing of over 4% to Labour since May (interestingly however, there was little change compared with 2010 - when it seems clear GE level turnout helped Labour here - or a 2011 by-election) Labour's advance was mostly at the expense of the Greens, who saw their share close to halved on last time - though they still managed to beat the LibDems who dropped to a fresh low of just 3%.

Camden - Labour hold a traditional stronghold (even in their 2006 near-meltdown here) with nearly 73% of the vote, this contest has attracted some attention because it is the home ward of a certain Natalie Bennett (and is part of the seat she will be fighting at the coming GE) indeed at the 2010 local elections she had polled a respectable vote here in 3rd place, easily outscoring her 2 fellow Green candidates (they would have got second in 2006 too, but for a lone Respect candidate) This time round, however, they could not even hold on to the very distant second place they achieved last year - dropping to barely 10% whilst the Tories leapfrogged them modestly increasing their vote on last year (as did Labour, there was a fractional swing to the latter overall) Again, the LibDems last as they dropped below 5% (they had managed second here in both 2002 and 2010)

Croydon - another strong Labour performance in a safe ward (they beat the Tories by close to 2 to 1 here even in 2006 when they were swept from office locally) as they had a double figure increase on last year to over 70% (though the precise figure depends on what method you are using to calculate shares in multi-member wards - there were an unusual number of "single" candidates here last time around) UKIP were very close to the Tories for the runners up spot then (actually ahead on one calculation method) but dropped by over 5% this time and finished not just behind the Tories but - by a single vote - the Greens (who held up best of all the non-Labour candidates) Again, LibDems in last and dropping to a new low of 3% - half their share last year.

No contests next week, though there is an uncontested poll (Independent hold) in the Western Isles - as in most elections here this is Indy dominated, but last time in 2012 the SNP managed one of the 4 places with their only candidate; which makes it perhaps slightly surprising they are not trying again now given their current poll ratings. The following week (19th March) sees a single contest in Wales.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Upcoming event : 29th March Manchester 10.30 am assemble picadilly gardens
Mass NHS Emergency protest rally in the centre of Manchester on the Greater Manchester NHS/Devo Manc proposals

and on homelessness :
Afaik Manchester council has now signed off on its £2million of cuts to homeless funding. Meaning the existing rough sleepers could be joined by more, and even less hope of a place in a hostel or help from advice workers. A 150% rise in the homeless population (that they know about, I doubt they count ones 'hidden' out in the suburbs) and funding gets reduced. Some of the people I talk to are going to die before things get better, ones in hospital again now, it really is Thatcher all over again, but worse. Homeless life expectancy is in the 40's - many of the people I was on the streets with are dead now, and my physical health is wrecked, and I'm watching it happen all over again.
Over the last couple of weeks Islington, Haringey, knowsley and many other areas have made huge cuts to the most vulnerable, social care's been heavily hit too. Whilst I know that the funding ultimately comes from the coalition, it still really annoys me that many labour councils are hitting the people least able to fight back (who are also being hit by cuts in multiple other areas).
These 'difficult choices' affect actual real human beings.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

There are no words I can think of to describe this

A shocking post from The People Vs The Government, DWP And ATOS.

Linda Cox

A lady came in to see me today. She was beside herself as the DWP had treated her very badly over numerous different aspects of her claim. She had been misled and lied to, but this is the thing that’s making me want to roll some heads…

Her phone call to DWP last year….

Lady: I am calling to inform you of changes to my health; I now have cancer.
DWP: Well?
Lady: I was told to inform you of any changes to my health.
DWP: Well, are you going to die?
Lady: I’m not sure. I’ve only just been diagnosed.
DWP: Well, I can put you through on the special rules for terminal claimants, but if you don’t die within six months we will prosecute you.

She was so taken aback, she didn’t get any names.

WTF are these creatures they employ?

I’m going to enjoy writing this letter of complaint. Bastards.

http://samedifference1.com/2015/03/06/d ... ecute-you/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00299.jpg
ScreenShot00299.jpg (86.99 KiB) Viewed 13081 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, PF
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:
The Scottish National party has dramatically increased its use of crowdfunding to raise money for the general election, launching a new campaign on a second site and doubling the number of appeals.

The SNP – on paper one of the UK’s and most cash-rich wealthiest parties – has started using the site Crowdfunder to run 18 new appeals, including one campaign to raise £10,000 for former first minister Alex Salmond to contest Gordon in north east Scotland.

The SNP’s move to increase its crowd-funding has an obvious appeal: its activist base is well-used to it after the referendum campaign, it galvanises and involves activists and it suits its new grassroots ethic.

But has this crowdfunding appeal flagged up an unexpected issue for the SNP? Is it running short of money, for what is emerging as the biggest and most expensive general election campaign in its history? After all it, only £5,580 in reportable donations in the last three months of 2014.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/scot ... paign-ever" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm confused.

Why do they have to crowdfund ?

Why can't people make donations to the party or individual candidate like all other parties do ?

How transparent are these donations & how are they reported to the Electoral Commission ?

Am I alone in thinking this has a distinct 'whiff' about it ?
Well, they sure won't get union backing - not with the policies they espouse - and business won't touch them if they harbour the niaive belief that they won't completely fuck the Scottish economy with their plans. That leaves the titans of the 'yes' campaign, which probably explains why their funding looks dire.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Night PF :)
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

PorFavor wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Required reading for the PM.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; *

* I do like chickens tho, in my head I sometimes play fantasy small holdings, what animals I would have given the space, chickens would be top of the list, a fat Tory would have a shotgun rammed into him..

Pure fantasy of course. 8-)
I'm not too keen on chickens. There's something a bit reptilian about them (although, oddly, I rather like lizards). Now ducks I do like.
Given that birds are descended from dinosaurs, you'd be spot on there.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I'd like to borrow the Boris water cannon and blast the shabby 'ruling' councillors and greedy directors at Pembrokeshire County Council off the premises and out of the county. Read and weep. (The councillor writing this is a good guy btw.)
I read that & got weary inside. It's not nice. It's squalid, outside the law & wrong. Gives the council a bad name & that isn't fair to the people doing good work. We've all got to act with integrity regardless of position, you know? I've felt this more as I've gotten older. Things pass away & the last thing I want to happen is one day I disgust myself because I went wrong somewhere & didn't try to fix it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Required reading for the PM.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; *

* I do like chickens tho, in my head I sometimes play fantasy small holdings, what animals I would have given the space, chickens would be top of the list, a fat Tory would have a shotgun rammed into him..

Pure fantasy of course. 8-)
I'm not too keen on chickens. There's something a bit reptilian about them (although, oddly, I rather like lizards). Now ducks I do like.
Given that birds are descended from dinosaurs, you'd be spot on there.
Yes! That's exactly right! I only learned that five years ago.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Toby Latimer wrote:The 'left wing' Purnell banging the drum for welfare reform and David (now Lord) Freud in 2008, preparing the groundwork, and laying the foundations for IDS misery project http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are.labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00297.jpg
Jesus.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ScreenShot00297.jpg
Jesus.
Glad he's gone.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

thatchersorphan wrote:
ephemerid wrote:More on ESA........and Maximus.

If you are a person with a job, but have to go off sick for a while with something that lasts for some time (eg. cancer or a fracture, say) you have to supply medical certificates for the duration.
The new Health and Work Service (run by a subsidiary of Maximus) is contracted to help employers get you back to work. The HWS rings you at home and discusses your return to work.
If HWS decides you should go back to work, irrespective of the view of your GP or consultant, the employer is within his rights to sack you if you do not comply.

If you have cancer, and your treatment is likely to leave you unable to work for several months but your employer wants to keep your job open for you, he can do so and not involve HWS.
However, if your Statutory Sick Pay runs out before you can go back to work, you are entitled to claim ESA. As long as you provide certification, you're OK for the first 12 weeks.
After that, you get the WCA to determine entitlement after week 13. This is now done by Maximus.

If you get a WRAG allocation, you must comply with the jobsearch conditionality - even though you already have a job.

There have been several cases recently in which people with serious illness, but who are expected to make a full recovery in time, have jobs to go back to but are claiming ESA temporarily because their SSP has run out, have been sanctioned for failing to comply with work-related activity.

So if you are ill, too ill to work, but actually have a job, you have to look for another one if you need to claim ESA for a while.
Even if you provide proof that your job is waiting for you, you have to engage with work-related activity or else.

It's mad.
The govt have changed statutory sick pay - http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 326s01.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Indeed they have - and that's what the health and Work Service is for, as well as making it easier for employers to sack people.

When HML (the Maximus company) ring you after 4 weeks sick, if they think you should be back at work, the employer has the right to stop your sick pay (if you get any) and give you notice.

DWP have been tinkering with SSP for some time.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Article on Huff Post.....

MPs are demanding that Parliament be recalled on the Saturday after the GE to stop parties negotiating deals for coalitions without scrutiny.

Interesting....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The new provider of the government’s controversial “fitness for work” tests has faced a humiliating first week in its new job, after it emerged that the company had been forced by disabled activists into buying an embarrassingly-named website. "Maximarse"

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/hu ... -delivery/
:lol: :lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Have to love this if only for the ridiculous Truss clinging to his arm ... they've got her to type, floundering and barely able to stand on her own feet.
50 Shades of Shit.jpg
50 Shades of Shit.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 13044 times
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Toby Latimer wrote:There are no words I can think of to describe this

A shocking post from The People Vs The Government, DWP And ATOS.

Linda Cox

A lady came in to see me today. She was beside herself as the DWP had treated her very badly over numerous different aspects of her claim. She had been misled and lied to, but this is the thing that’s making me want to roll some heads…

Her phone call to DWP last year….

Lady: I am calling to inform you of changes to my health; I now have cancer.
DWP: Well?
Lady: I was told to inform you of any changes to my health.
DWP: Well, are you going to die?
Lady: I’m not sure. I’ve only just been diagnosed.
DWP: Well, I can put you through on the special rules for terminal claimants, but if you don’t die within six months we will prosecute you.

She was so taken aback, she didn’t get any names.

WTF are these creatures they employ?

I’m going to enjoy writing this letter of complaint. Bastards.

http://samedifference1.com/2015/03/06/d ... ecute-you/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00299.jpg
I thought I'd got over being shocked by anything that came out of this Government any more.
The truth ferret speaks!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
ScreenShot00297.jpg
Jesus.
Glad he's gone.
He is, but the author of this drivel is our candidate in Norwich North.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ion-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

She also wrote this drivel.

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2009/1 ... y-burnham/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are worried, therefore, about your announcement that henceforth the NHS is the “preferred provider” of NHS services.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:This is where we really miss decent satire shows.

Cameron and the chair would be all over them, and create more news in itself.
Sadly Last Leg ended last week, Adam Hills would have had sooo much fun with this one.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Sadly Last Leg ended last week, Adam Hills would have had sooo much fun with this one.
Never seen it, but series ends with election coming up? That doesn't quite seem right.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Never seen it, but series ends with election coming up? That doesn't quite seem right.
If it's socio-political satire then it isn't at all strange. Spitting Image used to go off the air during Elections, usually reappearing at 10.00pm on Election Night, the exact moment the polls closed.
The truth ferret speaks!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Oh I didn't know that.

Thanks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed Miliband: No plans for SNP deal if Labour fail to win majority at election
http://linkis.com/www.mirror.co.uk/new/xgPpY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Do you not have to have a referendum on greater-than 1.99% CT increases in Wales, then?

Wandsworth Borough Council is freezing CT for yet another year running – but unless they make even deeper cuts than they have planned, and have already done over the years, or dip into their reserves they'll need to increase next year's (2016-17) by 75% apparently, and that's according to their own figures. This makes it totally daft to keep the freeze, to my mind, unless it's purely political – which it is...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 51s52 seconds ago
David Cameron set on Monday to announce "dramatic" expansion of free schools, if re-elected, in speech on families handed to Guardian.
Oh wonderful. Promising scads more 'free' schools (what a misnomer that is) and a pledge to repeal the hunting ban all on the same day.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Do you not have to have a referendum on greater-than 1.99% CT increases in Wales, then?

Wandsworth Borough Council is freezing CT for yet another year running – but unless they make even deeper cuts than they have planned, and have already done over the years, or dip into their reserves they'll need to increase next year's (2016-17) by 75% apparently, and that's according to their own figures. This makes it totally daft to keep the freeze, to my mind, unless it's purely political – which it is...
No - Pickles law doesn't spread quite this far ... unbelievable though that may seem. He can't keep his beadies on our bins either.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Carmarthenshire is getting a 4.85% rise.

No - Pickles law doesn't spread quite this far ... unbelievable though that may seem. He can't keep his beadies on our bins either.
Sturgeon Law too.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 1m1 minute ago
DC "I am saying if you vote Conservative at least 153 free schools will open in the next parliament providing 100,000 good school places."
Ye dogs ... Govey must be in a back room somewhere rubbing his hands with glee and sticking pins into a Tristam Hunt doll.

(Best tweet I saw on Toady Young's appearance on QT last night went something like - Harry Hill's really not very good tonight #qt)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Bryant ‏@ChrisBryantMP 6m6 minutes ago
Just done #bbcaq #bbcaq Interesting how many people in Wales are fed up with Tory attacks on Welsh NHS.
Chris Bryant retweeted
Dale Rooke ‏@dale_rooke 1h1 hour ago
#bbcaq @MonmouthCLP's @hilarybeach 'Denegration of Welsh NHS (by Tories) is demoralising for staff'.Spot on!
There was a big round of applause for the person who said they were fed up with the Tories constantly attacking the NHS in Wales.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nice graphic of what Eric posted earlier.

thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

http://freecityradio.org/post/112840293 ... e-struggle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; interview with ocap (ontario coalition against poverty, the same people who did the toronto solidarity dpac maximarse protest) - note trigger warning (includes stories of the most recent homeless deaths). They are also getting inadequate homelessness funding, despite the colder climate.
Their new sams computer system for benefits is modelled on the IDS design - it doesn't work properly.
He talks about the changes to disability appeals during the interview.
Harper has been busy doing to canada what the tories have to the uk.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

From the previous-but-one page (sorry just catching up)
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Iain Dale retweeted
Matthew Harris @hattmarris84 · 8m 8 minutes ago
Lord Ashdown: BBC have now 'found the backbone not to persuade anybody to give in to the PM...I dont think this has been their finest hour'

Iain Dale retweeted
Matthew Harris @hattmarris84 · 12m 12 minutes ago
Lord Ashdown goes on to tell @IainDale that he was glad that the "wobbly willies at the BBC" didn't chicken out of standing up to Number 10!
I think Ashdown has remarkedly understated the facts on the ground. Tories are bullying, frightened, arrogant people & their PM isn't fit to lead...anything...ever...at all.
Ashdown made the excellent point the other day is that Cameron's plans for one debate before the campaign gets underway means he wants to go before the public before he (or indeed any of them) even has/have a manifesto to set out and defend.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Would Dave do the debate if they gave him some fish to point at?
Ed did say that he'd debate Cameron any time, any plaice, anywhere...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
David Cameron set on Monday to announce "dramatic" expansion of free schools, if re-elected, in speech on families handed to Guardian.
Oh wonderful. Promising scads more 'free' schools (what a misnomer that is) and a pledge to repeal the hunting ban all on the same day.
And looking at the article he's going to use a Policy Exchange bit of research to back him up.

I knew that was coming out so it was inevitable that they'd use it if it was favourable. I'll give it a close look to see how accurately Cameron uses it.

I can't get too fussed about the numbers - they're simply new schools and as they won't allow LAs to open them free school or academy (same difference) is the only game in town as it has been since 2010.

Incidentally, there are 49 new academies since 2010 which they don't class as free schools - they weren't even mentioned in the DfE's own annual report - they're almost an embarrassment to them as if people knew they were there, they might start asking awkward questions about what is a free school and what an academy.

Edit - I take it that PX - that independent thinktank - has already let No 10 have an advance copy...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This bit from the article...
According to the draft speech, Cameron will say: “Academies and free schools are most likely to be good or outstanding,” adding “free schools do not just help the performance of their pupils, but pupils in surrounding schools”.
First bit - note that he hasn't said "more likely to be Good or Outstanding than LA schools" since the DfE have already admitted comparisons are not valid.

Second bit - wonder how they can prove that? Correlation isn't causation...
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nice graphic of what Eric posted earlier.

To borrow Les Dawson's phraseology - Nick Clegg in knickers. :lol:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Would Dave do the debate if they gave him some fish to point at?
Ed did say that he'd debate Cameron any time, any plaice, anywhere...
Boo!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
And looking at the article he's going to use a Policy Exchange bit of research to back him up.

I knew that was coming out so it was inevitable that they'd use it if it was favourable. I'll give it a close look to see how accurately Cameron uses it.

I can't get too fussed about the numbers - they're simply new schools and as they won't allow LAs to open them free school or academy (same difference) is the only game in town as it has been since 2010.

Incidentally, there are 49 new academies since 2010 which they don't class as free schools - they weren't even mentioned in the DfE's own annual report - they're almost an embarrassment to them as if people knew they were there, they might start asking awkward questions about what is a free school and what an academy.

Edit - I take it that PX - that independent thinktank - has already let No 10 have an advance copy...
Just made this point.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tim Montgomerie نVerified account
‏@montie "Frit": Tmrw's @TheTimes attacks Cameron's debate wriggle http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/l ... 373791.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #leadersdebates

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:This bit from the article...
According to the draft speech, Cameron will say: “Academies and free schools are most likely to be good or outstanding,” adding “free schools do not just help the performance of their pupils, but pupils in surrounding schools”.
First bit - note that he hasn't said "more likely to be Good or Outstanding than LA schools" since the DfE have already admitted comparisons are not valid.

Second bit - wonder how they can prove that? Correlation isn't causation...
That'll be news to the Select Committee.

Watch this drivel get a free run across the media.