Saturday 7th March & Sunday 8th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Saturday 7th March & Sunday 8th March 2015

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:"Nobody from John Humphrys in the morning to Evan Davis at night dares mention a scandal at the BBC. It undermines their reporting of every abuse whistleblowers reveal. It reinforces the dirty common sense of British life that you must keep your head down if you want to keep your job."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... mmy-savile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a statement to the House last week, Mr Hunt pledged that Savile’s charities are responsible for paying up to £40 million due. But this newspaper can reveal that the charities are exempt – and that it is the NHS which is liable.

The Mail on Sunday has also learnt that a further bill, which may eventually be as large, will be met by BBC licence payers
Surely the charities could only have been responsible for any compensation payments if they had had a duty-of-care to any of Savile's victims at the time of the abuse – had it happened on their premises, for example? How I wish his abuse had come out during his lifetime – and it so very nearly did on so many occasions, not least towards the end of his life. Then it would have been him paying compensation!

As it is, the BBC did have a duty of care to youngsters who were abused on their premises or in the course of their business; and so did the NHS. The latter spends a fortune in insurance premiums, each year, although I don't know what they're covered against other than medical negligence - possibly breakdown or theft of equipment, and perhaps workplace accidents/injury. But, as far as whatever happened on NHS premises is concerned, in effect, it's the tax-payer who pays. Same with many of the Children's Homes, too, except any run by charities, possibly.

Passing thought: would 'the establishment' – government, police, etc., – be more keen to quickly and fully investigate child-abuse if it was sold as being more cost-effective than leaving it until after the death of the perpetrator?
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

Toby Latimer wrote:Is this even legal ? From Dacre's rag, the use of the word "says" implies this is a direct quote surely ?

'Knifing David was worse than I expected, says Ed Miliband'

Ed Miliband last night admitted his decision to knife brother David in the Labour leadership race led to a worse deterioration in their relationship than he expected.

Morning btw.
ScreenShot00300.jpg
I'm going more for that Ed did not at all take a knife to his brother. "Knifing" is an horrendous crime often resulting in death or serious injury. This was a headline with nothing at all to say that was true. I don't have a clue as to why they think it is justifiable. Sells papers is a justification? So does Andrex.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
What day is it please.
Hello CJA. It's going to be Monday when you wake up, unless you don't wake up soon, in which case its's going to be another day.

And your post about the police and their lack of sensitivity. Well, last November 1st, really late at night, Gwent Police hammered on my door so loud I thought it could have only have been a nutter. 11pm or later, lone woman, I did not answer. Turned out there had been a family tragedy and they thought that was the best way to deliver the news, by virtually hammering the door in. Sensitive as a freaking sledgehammer.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Here's the PX report on Free Schools which Cameron is going to use in his speech justifying 153 new free schools...

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images ... 20tide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't read it yet but given that LAs can't open a school funded by itself now, this focus on "Look how many schools we're opening!" is facile nonsense.
Calling it A Rising Tide is bloody laughable. Is this the 'rising tide that lifts all boats'? Well, except the ones that have been accidentally holed below the water-line, moored/anchored too tightly - or scuppered. Or the 'rising tide that sweeps all from its path' leaving carnage behind...

Sorry, got pissed-orf just reading the cover! It's bloody schools, not matters maritime! Might be able to read the report, calmly, tomorrow.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
pk1 wrote:Considering the BBC runs 4 TV channels on mainstream TV plus radio channels and the World service that provides news & entertainment to many countries, I personally don't begrudge £12.12 per month to pay for it.

£3 per week is less than the cost of a pint or a packet of cigarettes.
I begrudge paying for government propaganda. As I always say, people like me are supposed to suck that up and watch the nature documentaries.

And I don't even live in Wales, where I'm reliably informed it's even worse.

I only do Radio 3. I can listen via my internet radio to any number of classical stations from abroad if that goes.
@ Tubby Isaacs: I really don't have a working telly and I don't miss it. Good heavens all those winter evenings of people who can't dance trying to dance with people who can? And repeat after repeat of anything that is interesting? The BBC would not need 4 TV channels and at least 7 Radio channels if they stuck to their brief. Radio 4 and the World Service I cannot do without, so why not charge me a reduced fee for those only and let me opt out of the dross? They won't do that, I have to pay Graham Norton's inflated salary or not pay at all. So I don't pay at all. And whoever thought it was necessary for 4 TV channels they can't fill with anything like quality, informative, educational or entertaining content? They struggled with 2, why double the challenge?

@ the poster: I do live in Wales, until 2012 broadcast services were indeed only BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and the Welsh speaking S4C (funded mostly by licence fee payers from all over the UK although when fewer than 1 in 5 adults in Wales speaks Welsh and it is a Welsh language channel, you English-only-speaking licence fee payers missed the boat on taking that up. An entirely other argument, though), but now the digital stuff works in many places, apparently.

I think the BBC is overblown in its sense of its own importance. I think it will have to think again.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

Is no-one else wondering if little Nancy Cameron not only got her place in the "Outstanding" state school within Westminster but her dad also applied for a place for her at an equally "Outstanding" state school somewhere in the Chilterns? Because he's not sure to be there so neither is little Nancy. There you go, good folks of Westminster, an "Outstanding" school place potentially up for grabs.

And did you not feel a little bit sick? Back in our day you just went to school. You didn't have your parents on eggshells unless you lived in one of the few places that still had the 11+. You just went to your local school with all your mates.

We should not have parents on eggshells that their children will get into a good school. Every school should be a good school. When did we lose sight of that?
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

daydreamer wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
pk1 wrote: Wow ! Fancy being saddled with a name like that going through school....

If I'm perfectly honest, I'm as surprised he has fathered 3 children as the names that were chosen for them.

He'd better not have a fourth.

Helena won't get any child benefit.
Too late, he's fathered four.
Do you know what, absolutely the worst of forum form. All the things you could have levelled at that useless, parasitic wanker and you go for how many children and what their names are. Be very ashamed of yourselves.