Saturday 7th March & Sunday 8th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 7th March & Sunday 8th March 2015

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

So basically the highest level of house building since the global economy crashed six years ago.

See also "Brandon Lewis claims his ten year old is taller than last year".
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:Todd Foreman - former Labour Councillor Notting Barns Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea from May 2010 - May 2014
Todd is a proud trade unionist who believes in the dignity of hard work and support for the rights of workers, for example through being paid a living wage. In North East Somerset, Todd is already delivering through his involvement in campaigns for better and more affordable rural bus service, to protect local children's centres, and for Bath & North East Somerset Council to become a Living Wage Employer.

Todd will be a full-time MP and he won't take paid outside employment while serving North East Somerset in Parliament. In everything Todd does as MP—be it voting in the House of Commons, assisting residents with casework, proposing legislation or campaigning on important issues—he will put North East Somerset first.
Labour candidate running against Rees-Mogg for the North East Somerset constituency.

Interesting man; no wonder Rees-Mogg is in a state.

http://www.labour.org.uk/people/detail/todd-foreman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.todd4nesomerset.com/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting background and looks to be very active, locally. Quite something for an American to give up their US Citizenship as it's not an easy process. Actually, that's a bit of an assumption on my part but I don't think you can take British Citizenship as an adult without giving up the American one, can you? His 'about' page doesn't say he took up dual-citizenship. You would know better than I, cJA, so could you confirm that or correct me if I'm wrong?

Let's hope he can knock Rees-Mogg off his perch in May!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Been reminded of this hilarity.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... th-sea-oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're rich because oil, but give it some free money.

Let's see what their projections for tax revenue would be with these tax cuts. They look bad enough just with the price drop. In any case, the SNP keep saying that one reason revenue is down is that lots of capital investment has been done, with generous capital allowances. Not sure what more investment the oil companies can do in that case.

You'll note there- British government turned down tax revenue to get long term investment done in what would have been "Scottish" oil. Funny, we didn't hear about this in the referendum, innit?

Cybernats don't like "Osborne's OBR" though it's constituted as independent- the Scottish Government isn't. Sure it's just a coincidence it keeps predicting more revenue for Scotland.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Brandon Lewis' boast also suggests that construction has underperformed compared with the economy as a whole, doesn't it? They can't blame the Eurozone for that.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Just thought I'd share our Labour Candidate for Putney – she's up against Justine Greening MP (and Minister for International Development) so quite a challenge:

http://www.labour.org.uk/people/detail/sheila-boswell

What that page doesn't mention is that, as one half of the Hairpin Hippies Team, she completed last year's Monte Carlo or Bust Banger Rally Adventure, raising funds for the Mizen Trust - which was set up in memory of Jimmy Mizen.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Todd Foreman - former Labour Councillor Notting Barns Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea from May 2010 - May 2014
Todd is a proud trade unionist who believes in the dignity of hard work and support for the rights of workers, for example through being paid a living wage. In North East Somerset, Todd is already delivering through his involvement in campaigns for better and more affordable rural bus service, to protect local children's centres, and for Bath & North East Somerset Council to become a Living Wage Employer.

Todd will be a full-time MP and he won't take paid outside employment while serving North East Somerset in Parliament. In everything Todd does as MP—be it voting in the House of Commons, assisting residents with casework, proposing legislation or campaigning on important issues—he will put North East Somerset first.
Labour candidate running against Rees-Mogg for the North East Somerset constituency.

Interesting man; no wonder Rees-Mogg is in a state.

http://www.labour.org.uk/people/detail/todd-foreman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.todd4nesomerset.com/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting background and looks to be very active, locally. Quite something for an American to give up their US Citizenship as it's not an easy process. Actually, that's a bit of an assumption on my part but I don't think you can take British Citizenship as an adult without giving up the American one, can you? His 'about' page doesn't say he took up dual-citizenship. You would know better than I, cJA, so could you confirm that or correct me if I'm wrong?

Let's hope he can knock Rees-Mogg off his perch in May!
The US allows dual citizenship; it wouldn't be necessary for Foreman to give up being a US citizen as well as a UK citizen. To relinquish US citizenship for monetary reasons isn't nice. I doubt he'd do it. It's relatively expensive, dual citizenship; particularly so because his chosen path demands impeccable financial, social, personal & professional integrity. The US requires any US citizen to pay taxes regardless of where the money is earned. It's possible to use strictly legal means to mitigate that obligation but he knows how strictly his affairs will be scrutinised. What I've read about him thus far, he's been pursuing a Labour party leadership career for a long time. I've no idea who has mentored or advised this man.

Foreman is an attorney having worked a decade in banking & financial regulation protecting consumers & taxpayers...interesting, that. I wonder if he's going to be instrumental in remaking an economy regular people use rather than people getting used by financiers? He's spent the entire last year devoted to the constituency he wants to elect him to Parliament. He's given his word he won't work at anything else if returned to Parliament.

It's an honour to have the opportunity Mr. Foreman has - citizenship & his home here in the UK - he understands this & knows his work is a public service. Nothing is better than sincerity, decency & competency.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

Night PF :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, PF
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Apologies if posted before.

' Engage. That’s your responsibility. This is a democracy, the mechanisms are in place. Stop waiting for that political angel to waft down from heaven and deliver the world that appeals to you, figure out what it is that you care about, and fight for it. Above all, vote for it, or near as damned as you can. Make others believe it so they vote for it too. Elder generations and their concerns are paid such deference by our politicians, because they vote. Take the hint.

If every young person of age voted in May, there would be change. Any career politician with two brain cells to rub together would but glance at the demographics and experience a strange and sudden recalibration of focus. All the logic and justice and common sense at your collective disposal, with regard to any issue, doesn’t constitute a moment’s concern in the politician’s mind until they recognise you as an electoral force. '
http://may2015.com/ideas/if-you-dont-vo ... nt-matter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Lots of people won't like that, of course. Good.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

How much is all this government advertising that's sprung up on the TV costing us?

Just seen a DfE one for bursaries.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Been reminded of this hilarity.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... th-sea-oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's see what their projections for tax revenue would be with these tax cuts. They look bad enough just with the price drop. In any case, the SNP keep saying that one reason revenue is down is that lots of capital investment has been done, with generous capital allowances. Not sure what more investment the oil companies can do in that case.

You'll note there- British government turned down tax revenue to get long term investment done in what would have been "Scottish" oil. Funny, we didn't hear about this in the referendum, innit?

Cybernats don't like "Osborne's OBR" though it's constituted as independent- the Scottish Government isn't. Sure it's just a coincidence it keeps predicting more revenue for Scotland.
We're going to have to have that discussion about alternative energy production, Sturgeon, please.
I agree North Sea oil is valuable.
So valuable most of what's left needs to stay where it is.

I'm gravely disappointed Sturgeon thinks tax concessions to fossil fuel companies is appropriate at this juncture, regardless.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This bloke isn't always particularly likable but makes good points about Green transport policy.

https://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2015/ ... atic-mess/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The short of it is that they're wrong about safety and reliability of the current system, and what they say about HS2 is wrong too. He thinks the problem could be the influence of a "guru" figure, a Professor Whitelegg. That's a peril of a small, very democratic party, I suppose.

One thing he never does is look at HS2 in terms of what else the money could provide, which is where the opposition on here comes from, and is a much better argument than saying you can put in more passing loops or run more trains or whatever.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Apologies if posted before.

' Engage. That’s your responsibility. This is a democracy, the mechanisms are in place. Stop waiting for that political angel to waft down from heaven and deliver the world that appeals to you, figure out what it is that you care about, and fight for it. Above all, vote for it, or near as damned as you can. Make others believe it so they vote for it too. Elder generations and their concerns are paid such deference by our politicians, because they vote. Take the hint.

If every young person of age voted in May, there would be change. Any career politician with two brain cells to rub together would but glance at the demographics and experience a strange and sudden recalibration of focus. All the logic and justice and common sense at your collective disposal, with regard to any issue, doesn’t constitute a moment’s concern in the politician’s mind until they recognise you as an electoral force. '
http://may2015.com/ideas/if-you-dont-vo ... nt-matter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely.
I was just looking at last year's turnout at the General Election
65.1%

http://www.ukpolitical.info/2010.htm

It matters. Vote. Please.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight PF – enjoy your evening and sleep well tonight :)

@cJA: Thanks m'dear, that clears up some of my (mis)understanding. I'd been under the impression that dual US/UK citizenship was straightforward if you gained it because of having a British Citizen as a parent but wasn't aware you could take it on as an adult, otherwise. His c.v. says he was proud to take British Citizenship but doesn't say it made him a dual-citizen, which is why I was assuming he'd given up his US status. I wouldn't think he'd be doing it for financial reasons, anyway, more that he plans to make his life here and follow a career in UK politics. I think he's an excellent and interesting candidate and sincerely wish him all success. I'm interested in the Citizenship questions for many reasons but partly/greatly because there is/was a question hanging over Boris Johnson's dual-citizenship, in that people have suggested US Citizens aren't allowed to become the leader of a 'foreign' country. We can be pretty sure that Johnson is ambitious enough to want to be PM here.

Thinking of BJ: they said in the 'news in 60 seconds' bit of Daily Politics London, that there have been twice as many murders in London, in the past twelve months, as in the previous twelve-month period. As Mayor, he has overall responsibility for Policing; and made all kinds of pledges about reducing murders, gun-crime, and knife-crime. Naturally, if this is brought up at the next Mayor's Questions at the London Assembly, he'll waffle, bluster, pass the buck, and fail to answer or take any responsibility whatsoever.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:This bloke isn't always particularly likable but makes good points about Green transport policy.

https://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2015/ ... atic-mess/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The short of it is that they're wrong about safety and reliability of the current system, and what they say about HS2 is wrong too. He thinks the problem could be the influence of a "guru" figure, a Professor Whitelegg. That's a peril of a small, very democratic party, I suppose.

One thing he never does is look at HS2 in terms of what else the money could provide, which is where the opposition on here comes from, and is a much better argument than saying you can put in more passing loops or run more trains or whatever.
(my bold)
Yep.
Why is that?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Probably looks at rail in isolation too much.

Certainly you can say you want to do other things first, but I don't get the position of the strongest antis. Are they saying rail passengers are going to stop rising again?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Been reminded of this hilarity.

We're going to have to have that discussion about alternative energy production, Sturgeon, please.
I agree North Sea oil is valuable.
So valuable most of what's left needs to stay where it is.

I'm gravely disappointed Sturgeon thinks tax concessions to fossil fuel companies is appropriate at this juncture, regardless.
I think her position is fair enough really, but the radical support they've picked up might ask a few questions.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:Goodnight PF – enjoy your evening and sleep well tonight :)

@cJA: Thanks m'dear, that clears up some of my (mis)understanding. I'd been under the impression that dual US/UK citizenship was straightforward if you gained it because of having a British Citizen as a parent but wasn't aware you could take it on as an adult, otherwise. His c.v. says he was proud to take British Citizenship but doesn't say it made him a dual-citizen, which is why I was assuming he'd given up his US status. I wouldn't think he'd be doing it for financial reasons, anyway, more that he plans to make his life here and follow a career in UK politics. I think he's an excellent and interesting candidate and sincerely wish him all success. I'm interested in the Citizenship questions for many reasons but partly/greatly because there is/was a question hanging over Boris Johnson's dual-citizenship, in that people have suggested US Citizens aren't allowed to become the leader of a 'foreign' country. We can be pretty sure that Johnson is ambitious enough to want to be PM here.

Thinking of BJ: they said in the 'news in 60 seconds' bit of Daily Politics London, that there have been twice as many murders in London, in the past twelve months, as in the previous twelve-month period. As Mayor, he has overall responsibility for Policing; and made all kinds of pledges about reducing murders, gun-crime, and knife-crime. Naturally, if this is brought up at the next Mayor's Questions at the London Assembly, he'll waffle, bluster, pass the buck, and fail to answer or take any responsibility whatsoever.
And all of those questions you've posted here went through my head too!
Far be it for me to tell others how their conscience should guide them, but giving up citizenship of the nation what spawned 'ya seems low-down without proper cause.
See there?
Proper cause.
What the hell is that?
Exactly.
Depends on what the conscience dictates.
It's personal.
Whatever the proper cause is, make sure it's clear inside & share it with the nations & people so there's no misunderstanding later.
If it were me taking up democratically elected leadership in the land offering blessed sanctuary, hospitality & citizenship, I'd feel it necessary to straightforwardly notify the nation of birth & the nation & people electing me to office about my intentions.

"I'm never going back to the US, the UK is my only home, my life & heart are here."

Something along those lines.
Clarity & honesty.
Boris Johnson frightens me. Naturally, my opinion of him didn't improve when I found out he was hatched in the US. Boris Johnson is head-shaking sorrow.
It's been prophesied in the Mirror recently from that Druid dude the solar eclipse coming up is confirmation Tories will spend an Age in the Dark while the Land shall have a rebirth of Light.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sorry if this has been posted and I missed it
A government agenda to dehumanise benefit claimants
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Probably looks at rail in isolation too much.

Certainly you can say you want to do other things first, but I don't get the position of the strongest antis. Are they saying rail passengers are going to stop rising again?
Me personally, I love rail. I'd love to see comprehensive, affordable, clean, safe, reliable & all regions connected by rail. I love public transportation. Is HS2 the only project we've got?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Those "returning heroes" will be jolly busy chaps, won't they?

The ones who were in Signals and other intel branches are being actively recruited by police and others (like my daughter - who knows several ex-colleagues now working in intel elsewhere)

Then there's all those teachers.....erm.....anyway - there are now supposed to be 300 of them. Unfortunately, only 2 have been recruited so far and the word is they were teachers anyway.....but hey, it was a great idea!

And now all the soldiers will be builders. That's nice. So all the Sappers will building houses and not bridges/camps/etc. Course they will!

Meanwhile, whenever the Mr.Burns- lookalike Hammond announces another round of cuts, a tranche of NCOs and Warrant Officers get their marching orders (sorry, couldn't resist) just before their additional pensions and long-service bonuses kick in.

Some find out a few days before their long-service date by email. One 40-year-old Sergeant just 3 days from 22 years in service, who would have qualified for a pension, was informed of his redundancy by email. Officers aren't immune, either; one army major who had served in Kosovo, Iraq, and Afghanistan over a 16-year career, was given his redundancy 86 days before he would have qualified for his pension.

Hammond will be making more cuts. Whoever gets the chop this time, I'm willing to be they won't be treated well. Builders my arse.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Probably looks at rail in isolation too much.

Me personally, I love rail. I'd love to see comprehensive, affordable, clean, safe, reliable & all regions connected by rail. I love public transportation. Is HS2 the only project we've got?
There's lots of good stuff happening- Danny Alexander and all have a point about high levels of investment. It's just that it's coming from rail passengers that's the problem!

I don't know about rail projects not happening, but if I understood the floods correctly, there are flood defences that should be done sooner rather than later.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

UKIP supporters claim Ed Miliband is Muslim and will introduce sharia law :shock: well I never knew that!

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2015/03/ ... haria-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :rofl:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:UKIP supporters claim Ed Miliband is Muslim and will introduce sharia law :shock: well I never knew that!

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2015/03/ ... haria-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :rofl:
Oh dear, they really don't do themselves any favours, do they!?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Exclusive to Urban Echo – Bradford West Labour candidate Naz Shah reveals all
To come through all that she has takes a strong person. Good luck to her
http://urban-echo.co.uk/exclusive-bradf ... veals-all/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/university-spo ... y-support/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always sounds impressive to have universities associated with schools, but they don't seem to be that good.
Professor Becky Francis, an academies expert at King’s College London’s department of education and social justice, said: “Sometimes sponsors seem to underestimate the extent of their responsibilities and their need for dedicated involvement, especially when they are in a partner-sponsorship arrangement.”
Innit.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:UKIP supporters claim Ed Miliband is Muslim and will introduce sharia law :shock: well I never knew that!

Figures. Farage has just come back from the USA. The Tea Party over there have leveled the Muslim thing at Obama, so I'm not surprised some dumbass Kipper has taken up the idea and is applying it to Ed.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is Oxfordshire. Sounds like Rotherham, doesn't it?

No media interest in this at all. Move on nothing to see here.

@itsmotherswork is the only person I can see looking closely at this.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Durham Free School have decided not to appeal and will close at Easter.

http://www.thedurhamfreeschool.org.uk/
It is with great sadness that I have to inform you that The Durham Free School will close at Easter. We have taken the difficult decision not to pursue a Judicial Review against the Secretary of State for Education. Even if successful, it would do little to assure the school stayed open. Our priority must be to focus on helping the children and their families who have been so badly affected by this terrible miscarriage of justice and to make their last days at the school, which has become like a second family to many, as happy and celebratory as possible. We have asked if our “well wisher”, who was keen to fund legal action, would be prepared to donate these funds instead to further the interests of children and families in this area that have been so repeatedly betrayed by many of our public servants, both locally and nationally.
There was an awful lot of tosh written about the school from people who clearly hadn't read the reports properly or if they had deliberately played down aspects of them.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Image

I posted this link a couple of days ago....

Wokingham Chief Executive expressed deep regret following Oxford report
Chief Executive Andy Couldrick responds to the damning safeguarding report on the handling of the Oxford paedophile ring

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... ep-8790808
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I see they've done it with no dignity at all.

Money back to the taxpayer for their fiasco would have been better.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:

Chief Executive Andy Couldrick responds to the damning safeguarding report on the handling of the Oxford paedophile ring

I missed that before, thanks.

The Wokingham MP is another who's not had any questions.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Protest against DevoManch

They didn't ask the people of Greater Manchester.
They didn't ask the GP's or NHS Staff.
They didn't ask the country.

http://999callfornhs.org.uk/manchester/4588607907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

I missed that before, thanks.

The Wokingham MP is another who's not had any questions.
I put it on Twitter, but it didn't 'take'.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

"Nobody from John Humphrys in the morning to Evan Davis at night dares mention a scandal at the BBC. It undermines their reporting of every abuse whistleblowers reveal. It reinforces the dirty common sense of British life that you must keep your head down if you want to keep your job."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... mmy-savile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight
xx
JA
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

“Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt is to issue a humiliating apology after The Mail on Sunday exposed him for misleading the House of Commons over who will foot the huge compensation bill for victims of Jimmy Savile.

https://a6er.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/j ... pensation/
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:"Nobody from John Humphrys in the morning to Evan Davis at night dares mention a scandal at the BBC. It undermines their reporting of every abuse whistleblowers reveal. It reinforces the dirty common sense of British life that you must keep your head down if you want to keep your job."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... mmy-savile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a statement to the House last week, Mr Hunt pledged that Savile’s charities are responsible for paying up to £40 million due. But this newspaper can reveal that the charities are exempt – and that it is the NHS which is liable.

The Mail on Sunday has also learnt that a further bill, which may eventually be as large, will be met by BBC licence payers
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

@Roger, @Tubby & other education bods: 5Live investigates had a bit on Academies this morning. Was the last 15 mins of the program. I didn't catch all of it, but it wasn't very positive for the Academies mentioned (AET etc).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054p05x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:"Nobody from John Humphrys in the morning to Evan Davis at night dares mention a scandal at the BBC. It undermines their reporting of every abuse whistleblowers reveal. It reinforces the dirty common sense of British life that you must keep your head down if you want to keep your job."

In a statement to the House last week, Mr Hunt pledged that Savile’s charities are responsible for paying up to £40 million due. But this newspaper can reveal that the charities are exempt – and that it is the NHS which is liable.

The Mail on Sunday has also learnt that a further bill, which may eventually be as large, will be met by BBC licence payers
Just seen you tweet that, thanks.

Would be interesting to see if lawyers told him this and he overruled.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nicky Morgan now investigating Bethnal Green Academy having already told them they were doing all they could. (The 3 girls thought to have gone to Isis went there).

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/morgan-orders- ... ria-links/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

refitman wrote:@Roger, @Tubby & other education bods: 5Live investigates had a bit on Academies this morning. Was the last 15 mins of the program. I didn't catch all of it, but it wasn't very positive for the Academies mentioned (AET etc).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054p05x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers, good to hear that.

In the old says, there'd have been a Panorama or two on them.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:@Roger, @Tubby & other education bods: 5Live investigates had a bit on Academies this morning. Was the last 15 mins of the program. I didn't catch all of it, but it wasn't very positive for the Academies mentioned (AET etc).

Still had the "run by local councils " and "able to control their own finances" shit though - that's going to take a lot to get that out of the public's mind.

If you asked people whether there ought to be a collective scheme for auditing schools, for insurance, for providing peripatetic music teachers, or governor support they'd probably say "of course because it makes sense" but I guess it's a tribute to Gove that he's managed to persuade the public that such things mean that schools don't run their own finances.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Here's the PX report on Free Schools which Cameron is going to use in his speech justifying 153 new free schools...

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images ... 20tide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't read it yet but given that LAs can't open a school funded by itself now, this focus on "Look how many schools we're opening!" is facile nonsense.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Jeez..
We would also like to thank all those who gave their time and expertise to inform this research, including the New Schools Network for all their help in fact checking and clarifying elements of the report, as well as all the individuals and organisations who agreed to be interviewed for this process
Yeah, I bet they were only too happy to help given their role as a Govian cheerleader.

:fire:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Chris Cook and Laura McIerney don't seem impressed.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Chris Cook and Laura McIerney don't seem impressed.
Heh - just seen your comment about them taking over the DfE.

Maybe ask how Cameron got hold of an advance copy if they really are an 'independent charity'.