Monday 9th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Monday 9th March 2015

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Oh dear, the England cricket team :lol: :oops: :roll: :smack:
Rule of 3: Cricket team are rubbish, football team are rubbish. Ergo: we're going to win the rugby world cup.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

adam wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I suspect the "Dave to get his own show" thing was just a bit of kite flying that will go nowhere, tbh.
I expect him to change his mind about the debates at the last moment, doing as much as possible to make sure that his appearance becomes the story, but if that doesn't happen, then as an alternative I expect the tories to demand that each section of the debate is concluded by David Dimbleby, or possiblly Benedict Cumberbatch, Emily from Bagpuss or The Queen, reading a statement written by the tories, with no comment or right to reply for anyone else.
Or God even.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

refitman wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Oh dear, the England cricket team :lol: :oops: :roll: :smack:
Rule of 3: Cricket team are rubbish, football team are rubbish. Ergo: we're going to win the rugby world cup.

Compare them to some of our young athletes - Katrina Johnson-Thompson's face when she crossed the line and realised she hadn't broken the world record was a classic - she'd just won the gold but she was gutted to think what might have been. That's the sort of attitude that's needed.

Cricket in England has been messed around with over the past decade - all that money that Sky were supposed to have brought in and for what result?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I suspect the "Dave to get his own show" thing was just a bit of kite flying that will go nowhere, tbh.
I said the same after reading it at the weekend. The Sindy was full of 'source' 'might' 'may' and so on & not a single attributable quote.

Sad to see even the Sindy dancing to a tory tune though :(
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I'm glad England have messed it up. The way they treated Cook was a disgrace and destabilised the side in a search for easy answers to the problem of not being bothered much by one day cricket for years and years.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Labour candidate for Torfaen chosen, a barrister who wrote the recent biog of Nye Bevan as well as one on Atlee.

Locally born, a fine mind, no doubt he'll get attacked by the 'I'm a real lefty me' usual suspects because he went to Oxford and has lectured there on politics, but he has been a Labour activist in Torfaen for 17 years & is secretary of the local party.

Outgoing MP Paul Murphy says of him:

“I have known Nick for many years now and know he would make an excellent MP for Torfaen. As well as his work as a barrister, Nick is a distinguished academic and historian – his recent book on Aneurin Bevan is excellent. Most importantly of all though, Nick is rooted in our community - having been raised in Blaenavon, he now lives with his wife and daughters in Abersychan.

“Those local roots were very evident in his speech at the selection conference, where he talked with great passion about how his upbringing as the son of a steelworker moulded his politics. I could not think of a more worthy successor and would urge Torfaen voters to put their trust in Nick on 7th May, just as they gave me such loyal support in my time as their MP.”

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/g ... _selected/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

"Grant Shapps has arranged a David Cameron photo shoot at Downing Street with the England Cricket team upon their return to the UK."

After being humiliated by Bangladesh :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Grant Shapps accuses Ed Balls of talking 'nonsense' (Andrew Sparrow, Guardian)
I have nothing further to say on this.

(Well, apart from to wonder about the Cromwell reference in Shapps' waffle. I didn't hear Ed Balls' speech - did he mention Cromwell? I can't see it cited in any written report, that I've seen so far, of the speech.)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

mikems wrote:I'm glad England have messed it up. The way they treated Cook was a disgrace and destabilised the side in a search for easy answers to the problem of not being bothered much by one day cricket for years and years.
Have to disagree - Cook staying on for too long was part of the problem.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:

(Well, apart from to wonder about the Cromwell reference in Shapps' waffle. I didn't hear Ed Balls' speech - did he mention Cromwell? I can't see it cited in any written report, that I've seen so far, of the speech.)
Cromwell gets two mentions in EB's speech:
At a time when there is such instability on Russia’s borders, the Middle East is in turmoil and the Jihadist threat from Africa is growing, huge cuts in the defence budget - the equivalent of 34,500 fewer soldiers in the Army, and 60,800 fewer personnel in the Armed Forces. This would be our smallest Army since Cromwell and the smallest Armed Forces since 1750.
If he is to deliver on his Autumn Statement plans for a £23 billion overall budget surplus, as he says, through a Budget with no fiscal loosening, while promising unfunded tax cuts in the next Parliament, then he is going to have to deliver these colossal cuts, which would lead to:

- the smallest police force since comparable records began;

- the smallest army since Cromwell; and

- over a third of older people receiving social care losing their entitlement to it.
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1131564 ... -rsa-today" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for Shapps & talking nonsense, I suspect that may have come from the contents of one of the books he used to sell :toss:
Last edited by pk1 on Mon 09 Mar, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:Bloody good Rowson cartoon this morning. :D

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... tin-rowson
Superb!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

PorFavor wrote:

He pointed out that defence cuts are getting us to the point where it will be "our smallest Army since Cromwell and the smallest Armed Forces since 1750."

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1131564 ... -rsa-today" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
mikems wrote:I'm glad England have messed it up. The way they treated Cook was a disgrace and destabilised the side in a search for easy answers to the problem of not being bothered much by one day cricket for years and years.
Have to disagree - Cook staying on for too long was part of the problem.
I agree with Anatoly, but either way, Alastair's well out of it.

Remember the story of Fletcher telling Strauss 'you'll thank me one day' when Flintoff was given the captaincy?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

IFS director [Paul Johnson] says Balls right about big gap between parties, but won't back £70bn figure

[Paul Johnson says] "I don’t know about the £70bn. You can talk about all sorts of different numbers. The £70bn takes a particular set of assumptions, and in particular says that the Conservatives will do what the autumn statement numbers say they will do, which is a bit different actually to the fiscal rules the Conservatives have set themselves. But there is a difference of around about £25bn or £30bn between the two parties in terms of the level of fiscal consolidation and therefore the sorts of level of spending cuts they are talking about. So Labour would introduce less in the way of spending cuts than the Conservatives. Of course, there’s a flipside of that, in terms of the debt and the deficit."(Andrew Sparrow, Guardian - my bold. There isn't a "What?" bold because if there were, I'd have used it.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

He pointed out that defence cuts are getting us to the point where it will be "our smallest Army since Cromwell and the smallest Armed Forces since 1750."

Ah - thank you. I did think that even Grant Shapps possibly couldn't be so stupid as to think that Cromwell was a figure from the 1930s.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
Ah - thank you. I did think that even Grant Shapps possibly couldn't be so stupid as to think that Cromwell was a figure from the 1930s.
Oh I don't know though.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

PorFavor wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
PorFavor wrote: I have nothing further to say on this.

I have learned never to underestimate this man's levels of stupidity.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sorry, pk1. Thank you, too, of course. I didn't spot your response in time.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Eric_WLothian wrote:And the benefits of a privatised Royal Mail start to appear:

ROYAL Mail is planning to cut collection times at thousands of post boxes across the country.
The scheme is being rolled out to 3,300 boxes north of the Border which carry 50 items or less a day as they do not cover their costs.
Collection times have been cut by up to nine hours with the last daily pick-up at some boxes now 9am Monday to Friday when it was previously 6pm.
The changes mean that first class letters posted later than 9am are unlikely to be collected until the next day.
On Saturdays those times have been cut, in some areas, to 7am when customers previously had until 12 noon to post letters.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/t ... -1-3713022
Bastards. What next?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Labour candidate for Torfaen chosen, a barrister who wrote the recent biog of Nye Bevan as well as one on Atlee.

Locally born, a fine mind, no doubt he'll get attacked by the 'I'm a real lefty me' usual suspects because he went to Oxford and has lectured there on politics, but he has been a Labour activist in Torfaen for 17 years & is secretary of the local party.

Outgoing MP Paul Murphy says of him:

“I have known Nick for many years now and know he would make an excellent MP for Torfaen. As well as his work as a barrister, Nick is a distinguished academic and historian – his recent book on Aneurin Bevan is excellent. Most importantly of all though, Nick is rooted in our community - having been raised in Blaenavon, he now lives with his wife and daughters in Abersychan.

“Those local roots were very evident in his speech at the selection conference, where he talked with great passion about how his upbringing as the son of a steelworker moulded his politics. I could not think of a more worthy successor and would urge Torfaen voters to put their trust in Nick on 7th May, just as they gave me such loyal support in my time as their MP.”

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/g ... _selected/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hurrah!
Did you enjoy the Bevan biography Thomas-Symonds wrote?
I liked the clear explanations of Bevan quotes often taken out of context.
Bevan - on Tories being lower than vermin - no one Tory was ever singled out as personally lower than vermin - Bevan was certain individual Tories were quite capable of telling the truth.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Oh dear. :smack:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 93895.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr Cameron described himself as a “classic” member of the Church of England in the article.
So that's someone who doesn't believe in a god, doesn't follow the bible's 'ten commandments' let alone any of the wider expectations of modern Christianity, but wraps themselves in its cloak by turning up at the big occasions, making ostentatious donations when the plate's sent around, relishes invitations to read the lesson or whatever it is that the local worthies get invited to do, and sends their children to Sunday School and turns up at regular services for at least as long as it takes to get those kids into the local church-run school...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Sincere apologies for this but I had to share the image that greeted me when I turned my TV on.

I'm sure the sweating that is much in evidence in this image had nothing to do with the level of heating in the school spamface was lecturing at.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (88.13 KiB) Viewed 15594 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Economic Review, March 2015
04 March 2015

"Over a longer time period, movements in real wages on this measure are matched by findings based on the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE).
These data suggest that median real earnings fell between 2009 and 2013.
The most recent ASHE data (for April 2014), suggest that real earnings fell by 1.6% between 2013 and 2014, a movement partly explained by changes in the composition of the labour force over this period."
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/elmr/econ ... age-growth
"On this more detailed basis, the distribution of earnings growth is relatively broad and has varied substantially over time.

Figure 10 [image included above] shows the distribution of real hourly earnings growth for matched full-time employees for whom data is available from ASHE in each pair of years between 2002 and 2014, presented in the form of a ‘fan chart’.

The orange line shows the median rate of earnings growth for these employees, while the shaded regions show the distribution of earnings increases, with the darker (lighter) areas denoting the centre (extremes) of the distribution.

In times when the median growth rate is positive, a majority of these workers experienced an increase in their real earnings, and conversely when the median growth rate is negative, a majority of these workers experienced a reduction in their real earnings. The shaded regions consequently yield information about the variety of experiences of workers."
I'm having difficulty sorting out the graph & the accompanying narrative from the ONS on this release.

Any help would be appreciated.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: He pointed out that defence cuts are getting us to the point where it will be "our smallest Army since Cromwell and the smallest Armed Forces since 1750."

I have learned never to underestimate this man's levels of stupidity.
He has a worryingly tenuous grip on reality.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

IDS replying to a Labour member (sorry missed the name) just a few minutes ago, who questioned the Conservative proposal to reduce the benefit cap, after he'd just extolled the virtues of the existing one of £26,000 as reflecting average wages in his previous answer to someone on his own side. He told her (the Labour MP) that the benefit cap was only being reduced to £23,000 to bring it more in line with average wages which are now £22,900. This answer is a glossing (toshing!) over of the fact that, under this Coalition Government, average earnings have fallen by approximately £3,000 per annum!

Edit to add: The lady's question had actually been about 3 and 4 bedroom houses becoming unaffordable for any claimants once the proposed reduction of the cap is brought in. IDS did not answer that particular question, preferring to simply, and proudly, justify the reduction because wages have fallen...

Second edit to correct: "The lady had..." to "The lady's question had..."
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Mon 09 Mar, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:Sincere apologies for this but I had to share the image that greeted me when I turned my TV on.

I'm sure the sweating that is much in evidence in this image had nothing to do with the level of heating in the school spamface was lecturing at.
We must have synchronised our TV-switching-on. Gave me a turn, I can tell you. So much so that I took all of 20 seconds to hit the off-button. And 20 seconds can seem like a very long time.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:
pk1 wrote:Sincere apologies for this but I had to share the image that greeted me when I turned my TV on.

We must have synchronised our TV-switching-on. Gave me a turn, I can tell you. So much so that I took all of 20 seconds to hit the off-button. And 20 seconds can seem like a very long time.
:lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:IDS replying to a Labour member (sorry missed the name) just a few minutes ago, who questioned the Conservative proposal to reduce the benefit cap, after he'd just extolled the virtues of the existing one of £26,000 as reflecting average wages in his previous answer to someone on his own side. He told her (the Labour MP) that the benefit cap was only being reduced to £23,000 to bring it more in line with average wages which are now £22,900. This answer is a glossing (toshing!) over of the fact that, under this Coalition Government, average earnings have fallen by approximately £3,000 per annum!
The mess of ONS data is perfectly clear now.
It's not pleasant.
At all.
Those numbers are correct.
It's truly an outrageous plummet.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Current government are losers.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LadyCentauria wrote:IDS replying to a Labour member (sorry missed the name) just a few minutes ago, who questioned the Conservative proposal to reduce the benefit cap, after he'd just extolled the virtues of the existing one of £26,000 as reflecting average wages in his previous answer to someone on his own side. He told her (the Labour MP) that the benefit cap was only being reduced to £23,000 to bring it more in line with average wages which are now £22,900. This answer is a glossing (toshing!) over of the fact that, under this Coalition Government, average earnings have fallen by approximately £3,000 per annum!
And the logical conclusion to that - unless you're a Conservative - is that by constantly finding ways to cut benefits and supposedly aligning them with the average wage, there is no incentive to see those wages grow to any extent. At least not for the ninety %.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tristram Hunt
"Creationism, waste and bad teaching are all things you can expect in David Cameron’s Free Schools"
Imagine you’d created a policy that was expensive, wasteful and failing young people. Would you scrap it and move on, or ignore the evidence and carry on regardless? David Cameron is going with “carry on regardless” with his wasteful and failing Free Schools programme.
Here are eleven things you should know about David Cameron’s Free Schools programme. You might be surprised at just how bad it is...

http://www.labour.org.uk/blog/entry/cre ... ee_schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

From Andrew Sparrow's blog:
During the Q&A Cameron was asked by the Daily Mail’s Jason Groves about grammar schools. Groves said he once said grammar schools were an “albatross” for his party. Did he still think that?

Cameron replied:

I have never said that grammar schools are an albatross. Grammar schools are good schools. And I like good schools.

But that is very hard to square with what he said in 2007.

I suppose, if you were being very charitable, you could argue that Cameron was saying then that it was a pledge to build more grammar schools that would be an albatross, not that the schools themselves were albatrosses. Or perhaps his memory failed him (although the Daily Mail printed the quote this morning, so he might have seen it.)

A more simple explanation would be that he was not telling the truth.
(my bold)

Wow, in saying that I'm shocked at how bold AS has been ! :o

He will get the full whack of tory twitter accounts heaping abuse upon him :roll:

Hmm, AS has amended that final sentence so that it now reads:
A more simple explanation would be that, when responding to the question, Cameron was not being truthful.
Last edited by pk1 on Mon 09 Mar, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

"I was waiting to see a Cameron in someone's pocket picture; thanks to @martinstiff for this one HT @paz_parish "
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

re citizen's graph.
The delay in posting was due to mr gilsey turning the power off while he fiddled with the lights.

Clear as mud, isn't it.

On the right-hand scale is % growth in median earnings, currently 0. If median earnings are growing, the orange line is above zero, as in the graph up to 2009. The distribution around the mean is the left-hand scale, and up to 2009 the distribution is wider than after 2010, that much we can see, but does it tell us anything useful?

For example, median earnings rise (say) 3%, rises for individuals range from -10% to +25%.
Median earnings fall 2%, the range is from -12% to +13%.

It tells us poor people get poorer, but I think we knew that.
Last edited by gilsey on Mon 09 Mar, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:"I was waiting to see a Cameron in someone's pocket picture; thanks to @martinstiff for this one HT @paz_parish "
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
And the logical conclusion to that - unless you're a Conservative - is that by constantly finding ways to cut benefits and supposedly aligning them with the average wage, there is no incentive to see those wages grow to any extent. At least not for the ninety %.
Yep. And you can bet your bottom dollar that had average wages risen by £3,000 per annum the Tories would not be raising the benefit cap to match that!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:re citizen's graph.
The delay in posting was due to mr gilsey turning the power off while he fiddled with the lights.

Clear as mud, isn't it.

On the right-hand scale is % growth in median earnings, currently 0. If median earnings are growing, the orange line is above zero, as in the graph up to 2009. The distribution around the mean is the left-hand scale, and up to 2009 the distribution is wider than after 2010, that much we can see, but does it tell us anything useful?

For example, median earnings rise (say) 3%, rises for individuals range from -10% to +25%.
Median earnings fall 2%, the range is from -12% to +13%.

It tells us poor people get poorer, but I think we knew that.
Many thanks for your help. I'm grateful to the ONS, I appreciate their work. But the information they're conveying here isn't clear, it's bogged down in minutia. I've found the earnings tables spreadsheets - that information is clearer.
Median earnings in 2007 = £20,000
Median earnings in 20152014 = £22,044

Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE) 4 Digit Occupational Gross Annual data 1999-2014 (Excel sheet 6461Kb)

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/about-ons/bus ... -ashe-.xls
Lots of words went into explaining how those numbers were arrived at.
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 09 Mar, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The ONS data in the spreadsheet boldly indicates the jobs count estimate isn't reliable.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Gulliver says the HSBC bank was regulated by top-notch regulators.

That meant there was a limit to what further checks HCBC could make when it bought the Swiss operation.

HSBC bought this bank, and others, because it did not want to be over-exposed to Asia, he says."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... eddbeef016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alice follows the rabbit.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

I've just seen the 'business report' on Sky News. It's just the stock markets (FTSE, CAC, DAX, and Nasdaq) and the currencies BUT (and I'm sorry for shouting so loudly) it's "brought to you by 'Business Is Great Britain'" - ie., this bloody government is sponsoring a segment on Sky News!!! https://www.gov.uk/britainisgreat (Although I think the splash page on Sky had it as britainisgreat.gov.uk which doesn't exist...)

Edit to add: I think it might have been the DOW, not the DAX. But the point still stands.

I'm not trying to break PF's world-of-FTN record for editing, honest! ;)
Last edited by refitman on Mon 09 Mar, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Admin: Link fixed
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Patrick Wintour retweeted
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 4 mins4 minutes ago
Latest Ashcroft poll (06 - 08 Mar):
CON - 34% (-)
LAB - 30% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (+1)
GRN - 8% (+1)
LDEM - 5% (-2)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:Patrick Wintour retweeted
CON - 34% (-)
LAB - 30% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (+1)
GRN - 8% (+1)
LDEM - 5% (-2)
Lot's wife alert.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

' The groups had noticed the latest frenzy over TV debates, but remained unmoved. In previous rounds people have said they would watch the debates if they happened, but those most apt to criticise David Cameron for his reluctance to take part were those already least inclined to vote for him. This week again we found nothing to suggest Cameron would be seriously damaged if the debates did not go ahead and he was blamed: “he should spend his time running the country rather than standing on stage”. Indeed since the leaders only seem to “act like children” when they get together, the event would probably not be very enlightening anyway. '

:rofl:

Yes, keep telling yourself that, especially when the debates start!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

CON - 34% (-)
LAB - 30% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (+1)
GRN - 8% (+1)
LDEM - 5% (-2)

I usually take polls as they come. But I really just don't believe this one. Even if I were a life-long Conservative voter with UKIP tendencies, I simply wouldn't believe it.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

StephenDolan wrote:
CON - 34% (-)
LAB - 30% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (+1)
GRN - 8% (+1)
LDEM - 5% (-2)
Lot's wife alert.
Will you elucidate for those like me that aren't quite sure how the reference to Lot's wife fits ?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:
CON - 34% (-)
LAB - 30% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (+1)
GRN - 8% (+1)
LDEM - 5% (-2)

I usually take polls as they come. But I really just don't believe this one. Even if I were a life-long Conservative voter with UKIP tendencies, I simply wouldn't believe it.
Cons & Lab are both within the margin of error but like you, I don't believe Labour has only gained 1% on it's 2010 vote share.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

citizenJA, gilesy

"It tells us poor people get poorer, but I think we knew that."

I don't think that graph does show that. So, each shaded area represents 10% of the work force, the darker areas are at the center, lighter at the edges.

If the poor had got (relatively) poorer and the rich (relatively) richer you would expect the bottom sections to have fallen, and the top section to have risen.

Nearly the opposite is true. the top sections have fallen, the bottom sections stayed nearly the same.

This is what the ONS mean by compositional change. This is partly explained by job losses at the top end, mainly finance but also oil and gas extraction.

Unemployment has fallen, fairly sharply, but lots of the jobs are poorly paid. This has also dragged down the median wage level (ie the percentage of people who are in work and in very well paid employment has also fallen, even if the absolute number has not).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
CON - 34% (-)
LAB - 30% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (+1)
GRN - 8% (+1)
LDEM - 5% (-2)
Lot's wife alert.
Will you elucidate for those like me that aren't quite sure how the reference to Lot's wife fits ?
I'm not sure, either. Advising people to take it with a large pinch of salt?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Further to my last post, you could claim inequality has risen, but to do that you have to focus on the top 1%, not the top 10% as in that graph.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
CON - 34% (-)
LAB - 30% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (+1)
GRN - 8% (+1)
LDEM - 5% (-2)

Cons & Lab are both within the margin of error but like you, I don't believe Labour has only gained 1% on it's 2010 vote share.
Presumably this is another tiny sample.

Didn't his last poll with a decent sample size show a decent Labour lead?
Release the Guardvarks.