Wednesday 11th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 11th March 2015

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Just had a long political survey from YouGov.
It paid 200 points, usually you only get 25 or 50.
So am wondering why/who would be spending the dosh to get the results ?
Blimey !

Can you remember the questions asked ?

Usual voting intention, Welsh voting intention & devolution questions, where you see different parties as left/right, what the most important issue facing the country - you could type in what you thought not follow their prompt, plus immigration, whether it was positive, who could deal with it best, EU - stay in or out, more unification or not and where you thought the parties where on the issues.
Also economic recovery for the country, your household etc and government approval.

Am knackered now !
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Best not to give oxygen to those seeking self victim hood.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Just to put my two pennorth in.

I guess many Tweeters are like me. Not that hot on punctuation and grammar so wouldn't recognise the niceties of a sentence if it bit them on the bum....

You also can't do subtle very well with such a small wordcount so there's always a danger of using a punch line in order to get your point across, that can be more inflammatory than intended.
The whole thing stared on FB though, and was followed up in a blog, so word count not that important on this occasion :)
This is what started it.....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Followed by MS blog with the title
"Why are disabled people being asked to die for Labour’s election hopes"
From, Why are disabled people being asked to die for Labour’s election hopes, by Mike Sivier, 10 Mar 2015:
...she is currently suffering severe disenchantment with the Labour Party, as she recounts below:

“We heard from Owen Smith MP today [Saturday, March 7] (a member of the left wing of the of the Labour Party leadership) that it is important for disabled people to continue to die, lest any commitment by Labour to scrap the Work Capability Assessment generate a negative response in the press and affect Labour’s general election chances.

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/03/1 ... ion-hopes/
Owen Smith, MP, in response, 10 Mar 2015:
It should go without saying, but this is obviously a lie. I would never say such a thing.

https://twitter.com/OwenSmithMP/status/ ... 3994391553
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Pretty sure none of this is helping
It's not & I apologise for contributing to it but in as much as this place has been blamed for driving people away, others feel that they are expected to be silent & to make accommodation towards some whose intention appears to be to cause upset & discontent.

I will say no more on the subject, other than to say that this is my opinion only.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

After hearing Robertson on wato let's hope those Nat chickens have been counted too early.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:@TechnicalEphemera
I replied to one of your posts abruptly last night - you're a straightforward, no nonsense commentator. I wasn't angry - I was bantering. If I've caused offence please excuse me.
Nope, I never let internet posts get to me. If I did I wouldn't post.
That's what I thought. Thank you for your reply.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

General Election ‏@UKELECTIONS2015 · 2 mins2 minutes ago
Bets taken thru @Oddschecker

David Cameron Still Leader At Year End

YES 64.52%
NO 35.48%
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

StephenDolan wrote:After hearing Robertson on wato let's hope those Nat chickens have been counted too early.
What did he say ?
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

ephemerid wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
adam wrote:If people choose to call themselves who they are (and I am indeed adam) then that's all well and good but I think there's an issue about using names other than user names unless the people being named encourage it. Bit pedantic but there you go.
I agree, it is disrespectful, if people know who an alias is they should not broadcast this fact to the world.

If more than a small handful of people read this site I would be somewhat surprised. I imagine it occasionally gets a look from a larger group. But I think the principle of anonymity is important.

Re. aliases - I agree.

But I have let an error slip today because one person has 2 names - my mistake, and I apologise. That was wrong.

I've only got the one name for posting everywhere - though a few people know my real name because I've told them.
Today is the first time it's been used outside PMs though.

Looks like I need to smarten up a bit all round....
You and Tem and others were running with a conversation that had been going on elsewhere and it's entirely understandable that you kept talking like you had been elsewhere - it wasn't a personal criticism of anyone and, personally, I don't care what I get called but I do think it's a convention best observed to stick with user names.
I still believe in a town called Hope
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Temulkar wrote:I'm also going to say something else. Everyone on here is concerned about the upcoming election and perhaps even the greens splitting the left wing vote or the damage that can be done to Labour's election chances. Indeed it is often so bitter I no longer post here.

I know of at least two green constituency groups in labour/tory marginals, whose decision to stand a candidate in the next election was swayed by behavior on this site. Maybe think about that hey before unleashing the attack dogs.
Hi Tem, nice to see you back (briefly perhaps!) and as I've said before the only elements of the Green party with whom I take violent exception are (a) those who attack Labour as being 'just like the Tories' when they clearly aren't (our Labour group is very much to the left) and (b) the Bury Green party whose antics I've related here in the past, and who lines up with the local Tories regarding various issues.

I suspect that FTN simply isn't important enough to 'sway' anyone not connected with the site, unless they have also had their ear bent by somebody unhappy with opinions stated here. For the record, the Green vote is mostly coming from ex-FibDems (according to a chart I sawthe other day), so I'm not sure that their existence will, in the grand scheme of things, have a noticeable effect on the outcome of the appraoching election.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RobertSnozers wrote:If we had PR, most of the disputes on this forum would be wiped out at a stroke, but there it is.
Indeed. Flawed as it was, I voted for AV as a possible first step to PR; I wonder how many of those complaining on Twitter and elsewhere about the unfairness of FPTP did the same? :?:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
PorFavor wrote:So far, no rebeccariots2 again today (ohsocynical yesterday remarked upon missing her for a few days).

We've had some heavy winds around these parts.
I know RR lives a bit off the beaten track so may be an electric or phone connection problem ?
Hope it's only that.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:If Dan, Ernst or Paul are around, I did ask late last night but not sure if you read it.

If you have RebeccaRiots email address, could you check she and Mr Riots are okay? It's been five days now since she posted.....
Shall do, Ohso.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Labour has dug out a quote from Lord Grade earlier this year saying no party leader has a right to veto a TV debate.

Stewart Wood @StewartWood
Follow

Lord Grade in Jan: "no leader of any party has the right to veto a debate" Lord Grade in March: "no divine right to have election debates" (Andrew Sparrow, Guardian)
Edited to add -

And I thought my memory was bad!
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 11 Mar, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Apparently 400,000 people have signed a petition demanding Jeremy Clarkson be reinstated.

Wonder what they would be saying if it had the been the show's producer that was alleged to have punched Clarkson.

Rather suspect those same people would have been demanding the producer was sacked.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

PorFavor wrote:
Labour has dug out a quote from Lord Grade earlier this year saying no party leader has a right to veto a TV debate.

Stewart Wood @StewartWood
Follow

Lord Grade in Jan: "no leader of any party has the right to veto a debate" Lord Grade in March: "no divine right to have election debates" (Andrew Sparrow, Guardian)
Edited to add -

And I thought my memory was bad!
I heard the interview with mounting incredulity this morning. It's further proof, were it needed, that Cameron and co. are pulling out all the stops to prevent the debates going ahead as originally planned. I say empty chair the bacon faced pisstrumpet - and tell him beforehand that's exactly what they'll be doing. Let's see him bluster his way out of that.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Temulkar wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Temulkar wrote: Both sides are doing it and yes it is depressing, and counterproductive, and it has ruined this site, perhaps I will return regularly after the election.
Not ruined the site, Temulkar, I don't agree. Petty bickering is a stage in the political process. We'll work our way into comradeship.

Really? many many people have left this site from other parties of the left, not just greens, citing the same thing. I only lurk now and again, indeed I only posted today because some rather spurious claims about who I know and who knows me were being made, as well as comments on my understanding of English.

That's after ignoring the 'skewed vision of the world' or 'guff' or 'snarky' comments made about me yesterday, and because my real name was used I decided to at least respond, initially I sent it as an email to ephy, but wanted to make sure it was seen.

Often I read complaints on here about the behaviour of the scottish cyber nats and their online behaviour and how deplorable it is. Then I see people shout with glee about who has blocked them on twitter that day or this.

My point about the two green groups standing candidates was supposed to highlight how counterproductive this behaviour has become on here. If Labour fails to secure a majority because of the green vote in two marginals, and labour supporters keep telling us it's that close, are you going to blame green voters? the green party? or the labour supporters whose non stop bile was a factor influencing those candidates standing in the first place. If it really is that close, some people on here could be directly responsible for Labour failing to get a majority. So do it out of self interest if nothing else.

To quote the only good tory prime minister, 'scurrility is not sarcasm, and insolence is not invective'. or Yoda 'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'

Attack policies, attack manifestos, attack party records of course, and debate with vigour, but too often on here the attacks are personal and have nothing to say about policy.
I hadn't realised you were the topic of any post yesterday, Temuklar, I'm sorry, it's insensitive for me to impose my own impression onto others' posting here - your experience & those of other friends may be completely different. Thank you, sincerely, for letting me know.

Your English is excellent, you're a teacher, if I'm not mistaken & a good one if the content of your posts are anything to go by. Your comments are beautifully put together. I defy anyone telling us different. My own command of English & grammar are a work in progress. It's the first language I was taught & it's still a work in progress.

I've no idea who you know unless you tell me. I won't breech confidence. I'm human though & can make mistakes. The mistakes I make are almost always fixable without irreparable harm done. I'll make reparation for my mistakes.

Those posting about blocked Twitter feeds & Scottish 'cyber nats', please think of the rest of their commentary. Their knowledge & scholarship are extensive - ask for an explanation when a post jars you.

I'd be ashamed of myself if I ever demanded someone vote against their conscience. It's like crossing a picket line. I won't do it. That being said I strongly encourage everyone to stick together. What does that mean, cJA??? Just that. Stick together, we've more in common than we have differences & we stick together or we get crushed one by one. You know history, Tem. So do I. Scares the hell out me sometimes. March of Folly, by Barbara Tuchman.

Vote as your conscience dictates, no one need tell me or anyone else how they're going to vote & I won't speculate. I can only continue to sound off as often as possible stick together. I'll not blame anyone voting as their conscience dictates. That's sacred. Like picket lines. Some people cross picket lines. I must continue to love them somewhere because they're human beings doing their best but I don't cross picket lines & hope I never will & strongly encourage everyone to never cross a picket line. Stick together or get crushed one by one. We make mistakes & we fix them. Next time we don't make the mistake & move more forward.

You're absolutely right, politeness is necessary in order for others to feel comfortable participating. Give & take, I make a mistake, I've hurt someone's feelings, not understood their despair over policy in their area or their councillors or MPs, I may have posted rudely - I'm sincerely sorry for it. I'll probably make more mistakes but hopefully not the same ones & I'll learn more too.

What bothers you & others who've left FTN is important information I'd like to know about. We're using words unspoken to communicate. It's an art. I re-read some of my posts with horror because I've written something tactlessly. That's not what I was trying to say! I think sometimes. Probably not long after posting this but I'm not going to change it. I like myself for writing it. I like you for inspiring me, Temuklar. Please don't be gone long.

love
JA
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

pk1 wrote:Apparently 400,000 people have signed a petition demanding Jeremy Clarkson be reinstated.

Wonder what they would be saying if it had the been the show's producer that was alleged to have punched Clarkson.

Rather suspect those same people would have been demanding the producer was sacked.
As many of those 400,000 people are probably 15 year old boys, maybe it would be best not to be too hard on them! I suspect the petition is more about people's disappointment at the possible demise of a favourite show than any real sympathy or support for Clarkson.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I didn't know that this little haven was so very powerful.
I didn't know that people aren't standing for Parliament because of us.
I didn't know that many many people had joined us and left.

Cripes! If we're that influential, we should put up a candidate.......

Hellooooooo you 46 guests! Please come and join in.

I can be a stroppy bugger at times but the rest of 'em are OK.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:If Dan, Ernst or Paul are around, I did ask late last night but not sure if you read it.

If you have RebeccaRiots email address, could you check she and Mr Riots are okay? It's been five days now since she posted.....
Shall do, Ohso.
Thanks....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:I didn't know that this little haven was so very powerful.

I didn't know that this little haven was so very powerful.

I always suspected it is.
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
:rock:
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ephemerid wrote:I didn't know that this little haven was so very powerful.

Strange how much influence a 'ruined' blog has.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tristram Hunt MP, Labour’s Shadow Education Secretary, has today written to Nicky Morgan about the review of the management of asbestos in schools.
The full text of the letter is below:

11 March 2015
Dear Nicky,

It is becoming increasingly apparent that the Government is trying to bury the findings of your Department’s review of the management of asbestos in schools.

The consultation on this review ended a year ago. Since then, there have been several opportunities for the Government to come clean on its findings, yet Ministers have repeatedly tried to kick the report into the long grass. Today we find out that the Prime Minister himself is refusing to set out a timetable for publication before the dissolution of Parliament.

The Labour Party has made repeat calls for the Government to make the findings public. On January 15th this year, David Laws MP, Minister for Schools, wrote that the Department ‘expects to provide an update on the management of asbestos in schools before the end of February 2015’.

That has not happened.

[text]

I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours sincerely,
Tristram Hunt
March 11, 2015 (2:42 pm)

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1133428 ... organ-over
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Willow904 wrote:
pk1 wrote:Apparently 400,000 people have signed a petition demanding Jeremy Clarkson be reinstated.

As many of those 400,000 people are probably 15 year old boys, maybe it would be best not to be too hard on them! I suspect the petition is more about people's disappointment at the possible demise of a favourite show than any real sympathy or support for Clarkson.
I like Top Gear, mostly. I also think Clarkson is a total arse, but they are responsible for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM&sns=em

Admittedly you only need to watch the last two minutes.

The inside story is a bit more fracas, a bit less punching. Frankly speaking failing to provide Clarkson with food is a bit risky - he looks like a bloke who enjoys pies.

Edited to add - I imagine if the producer had punched Clarkson he would be up for an OBE, although both May and Hammond would probably have been at risk of laughing their heads off.
Last edited by TechnicalEphemera on Wed 11 Mar, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 4 hrs4 hours ago

Cameron says it is "despicable" to form a government relying on support of a smaller party. (Like the Tories did in 1992-7 & 2010-15) #PMQs
This explains Dave's lack of brain engaging with mouth superbly.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

You will all no doubt be reassured to know that The Taxpayers Alliance has published its' Spending Plan.

They are calling upon all political leaders to "inject a dose of honesty" into the debate on spending cuts.

To that end, they have supplied their (costed, apparently) Spending Plan to cut public spending.

They think that several government departments should be abolished. They are very very keen on abolishing things.
They want to abolish Christmas bonuses for benefit claimants (it's a tenner) and they want to abolish free TV licences.
They want to abolish the triple lock on pensions, national pay bargaining.....there's no end to their abolishing, I tell you!

You will find the "new research" on their website. I can't link as I am choking with laughter....
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Interesting thing about the Clarkson crapola.....

More people have signed the petition in his support than have signed the anti-FGM petition.

Just sayin'
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

I like Top Gear, mostly. I also think Clarkson is a total arse, but they are responsible for this.

The inside story is a bit more fracas, a bit less punching. Frankly speaking failing to provide Clarkson with food is a bit risky - he looks like a bloke who enjoys pies.
Much as I dislike Clarkson's politics, my son loves Top Gear and it wouldn't be the same for him without any one of the trio - Clarkson, Hammond or even May - so I can get why people may be dismayed by Clarkson's suspension and are hoping it can be reversed. Still, the BBC wouldn't pull a popular show for no reason, so you do have to wonder what he did that made them feel they had no choice. He's been pushing it too far for a while, which is a shame because if be stuck to what he's good at - doing amusing things with cars - everyone could be happy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Pat McFadden MP, Labour’s Shadow Europe Minister, Speaking to the Fabian Society today, said the latest warnings from General Sir Peter Wall underline the damage done to Britain by David Cameron’s approach to Europe.
March 11, 2015 (1:31 pm)
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1133393 ... peter-wall
Pat McFadden Speech to Fabian Conference on Britain and Europe 2020
The full speech

March 11, 2015 (12:29 pm)
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1133366 ... ference-on
It is utterly incoherent for our Prime Minister to call for tougher European action against President Putin in one breath and then threaten to leave the EU in the next. Security is the unspoken dimension of this European debate. This is no time for democratic nations to consider breaking from their allies.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Willow904 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Willow904 wrote: As many of those 400,000 people are probably 15 year old boys, maybe it would be best not to be too hard on them! I suspect the petition is more about people's disappointment at the possible demise of a favourite show than any real sympathy or support for Clarkson.

Much as I dislike Clarkson's politics, my son loves Top Gear and it wouldn't be the same for him without any one of the trio - Clarkson, Hammond or even May - so I can get why people may be dismayed by Clarkson's suspension and are hoping it can be reversed. Still, the BBC wouldn't pull a popular show for no reason, so you do have to wonder what he did that made them feel they had no choice. He's been pushing it too far for a while, which is a shame because if be stuck to what he's good at - doing amusing things with cars - everyone could be happy.
The BBC have to draw the line somewhere, commercial interests or not.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

@Tem: I'm glad to see you're still around and particularly glad to hear that your brother has won his appeals and had all his support reinstated. Please give him my congratulations. I hope that the arrears will come through to him very soon – 'though the best way to make anything like that happen quickly seems to be to get your MP to raise it in 'The House', which depends on having a good MP, and shouldn't be necessary anyway.

I hope we'll see more of you – I hate it when we lose people.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Record 19,000 patients wait too long for cancer and other tests
Five-fold increase since last election

18,740 patients had waited longer than the six weeks when they received their cancer or other key test in January this year – more than five times the figure in May 2010 (3,495 patients).

[text]

“All the gains that Labour made have been lost and the NHS is heading in the wrong direction. Thousands of families are waiting too long for tests, facing all the anxiety that means, and cancer is being diagnosed at a later stage where treatment is less likely to be successful. That’s why Labour will guarantee a maximum one-week wait for cancer tests. The NHS as we know it can’t survive five more years of the Tories. Families struggling with cancer can’t take the risk. and, despite all the warnings, persisted with an NHS reorganisation that disrupted cancer services.”

Andy Burnham
March 11, 2015 (12:50 pm)

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1133375 ... for-cancer
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

From TechnicalEphemera -

Release the Guardvarks.
:rock:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

pk1 wrote:Woohooo, just opened my post & my application for a Disabled Facilities Grant has been approved :dance:
Wow, that's wonderful news!

:clap: :dance: :hug: :clap: :dance: :hug: :clap: :dance: :hug: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Ouch, buggeredmybackagain ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
It's overdue for an overhaul anyway. It's had the current format for 13 years and tipped into self-parody a while ago.

I struggle to understand Clarkson's appeal, tbh, and I can't stand May either.
The more I think about it the more I wonder if the whole Argentina thing was the last straw. He left his crew in a pile of shit, yet continues to insist the number plate was a coincidence and has acted like a complete cock over it in following episodes of the show with the whole apology over the misleading condor statement that was clearly taking the piss. Any kind of an assault on a colleague is gross misconduct and grounds for instant dismissal. Something that may have been overlooked in a normally well-regarded colleague, is a gift to a management keen to shift a troublemaker as it is pretty cast iron in legal terms. If the incident is grounds for suspension then I suspect the police would have been informed. Even if the police take no action, dismissal is still possible and an incident number would help back up the case for such action. I have no sympathy for Clarkson at all, he probably deserves to be sacked. My regret is more along the lines of I wish he wasn't such an objectionable dickhead because my son enjoys the less controversial elements of the show, as I don't see it continuing in any format without him.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

I suspect if I met Top Gear's producer I'd punch him on the grounds that he permits Clarkson to be a juvenile dickhead. Clarkson's like our 8 year old - does something wrong and really, really, really promises that it never happen again, and that she's really, really sorry. Rinse and repeat. To be fair, the weebundle's getting much better in that respect. Clarkson won't change, so the outcome looks inevitable to me, and nuts to the people signing the petition. Perhaps they ought to consider their reaction had Clarkson punched a loved one of theirs.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Running down Scotland latest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-31831857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The latest public finance figures have reignited the debate about Scotland's future.

The statistics suggested the picture has improved but remains worse than the UK average.
See also
Ms Sturgeon stressed that the deficit was coming down "despite lower oil revenues", which she attributed to "higher levels of capital investment" in 2013/14.

But she argued the figures "tell us nothing at all about how Scotland would perform with greater economic and fiscal powers", insisting the government in Edinburgh could have spent and invested more wisely.
It's going to be the first country that won't make any mistakes, is Scotland.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

I suspect if I met Top Gear's producer I'd punch him on the grounds that he permits Clarkson to be a juvenile dickhead. Clarkson's like our 8 year old - does something wrong and really, really, really promises that it never happen again, and that she's really, really sorry. Rinse and repeat. To be fair, the weebundle's getting much better in that respect. Clarkson won't change, so the outcome looks inevitable to me, and nuts to the people signing the petition. Perhaps they ought to consider their reaction had Clarkson punched a loved one of theirs.
He was already on two warnings and this latest is his third, which normally means out you go, doesn't it?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:We live in a world of stupid and Jeremy Clarkson is its king
“He’s anti-establishment, isn’t he?” piped up one of my acquaintances, which he might be, if writing a column for the Sun, wearing blazers and being pally with the Prime Minister were all part of his deep cover for an anarchist insurrection now sadly stymied by the Beeb.
http://www.newstatesman.com/sarah-ditum ... n-its-king" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the money
written by the ever-enlightening Guido Fawkes operation, which never knowingly misses the opportunity to wave its putrid arse in the face of public life and guff out some incoherent right-wingery.
:lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Willow904 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
It's overdue for an overhaul anyway. It's had the current format for 13 years and tipped into self-parody a while ago.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if the whole Argentina thing was the last straw. He left his crew in a pile of shit, yet continues to insist the number plate was a coincidence and has acted like a complete cock over it in following episodes of the show with the whole apology over the misleading condor statement that was clearly taking the piss. Any kind of an assault on a colleague is gross misconduct and grounds for instant dismissal. Something that may have been overlooked in a normally well-regarded colleague, is a gift to a management keen to shift a troublemaker as it is pretty cast iron in legal terms. If the incident is grounds for suspension then I suspect the police would have been informed. Even if the police take no action, dismissal is still possible and an incident number would help back up the case for such action. I have no sympathy for Clarkson at all, he probably deserves to be sacked. My regret is more along the lines of I wish he wasn't such an objectionable dickhead because my son enjoys the less controversial elements of the show, as I don't see it continuing in any format without him.
The Argentina thing was a bunch of thugs behaving like thugs with the tacit approval of the Argentinian government - who are to a degree also a bunch of thugs. It is pretty hard to blame Clarkson for that. The number plate thing was weak to say the least and I tend to think it probably was just coincidence.

As a piece of TV it brought in a record number of viewers and until the Argentinians started behaving like a total bunch of twats it was a fantastic advert for tourism to the country.

Top Gear is probably more successful and lucrative than it has ever been, which doesn't mean it hasn't jumped the shark (the ambulance stuff was weak but the Australian cattle herding was fairly awesome). I think this is mostly the media setting Clarkson up for a fall, it seems unlikely anybody actually got punched on set but a bit of shoving may have gone on. However Clarkson would not be the first (and won't be the last) "star" to throw a complete hissy fit over food. This does not equate to workplace violence, and the BBC exists to make TV not operate a model workplace. Note this does not mean child molesters and rapists should operate unchallenged, but I don't think anybody is accusing the Top Gear team of being touchy feely. Neither does Clarkson have a record of being an arse to producers.

It is a TV program at the end of the day, the "liberal media" doesn't do the left any favours with the get Clarkson thing. Let him get on with making childish TV, let the BBC make some money out of it and let's get back to real politics. If there is enough here to merit a criminal complaint then that would change things, but there seems no immediate movement there.

The left would be better focussed on ramming home the message that the PM is an incompetent vindictive twat.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: It's overdue for an overhaul anyway. It's had the current format for 13 years and tipped into self-parody a while ago.

The Argentina thing was a bunch of thugs behaving like thugs with the tacit approval of the Argentinian government - who are to a degree also a bunch of thugs. It is pretty hard to blame Clarkson for that. The number plate thing was weak to say the least and I tend to think it probably was just coincidence.

As a piece of TV it brought in a record number of viewers and until the Argentinians started behaving like a total bunch of twats it was a fantastic advert for tourism to the country.

Top Gear is probably more successful and lucrative than it has ever been, which doesn't mean it hasn't jumped the shark (the ambulance stuff was weak but the Australian cattle herding was fairly awesome). I think this is mostly the media setting Clarkson up for a fall, it seems unlikely anybody actually got punched on set but a bit of shoving may have gone on. However Clarkson would not be the first (and won't be the last) "star" to throw a complete hissy fit over food. This does not equate to workplace violence, and the BBC exists to make TV not operate a model workplace. Note this does not mean child molesters and rapists should operate unchallenged, but I don't think anybody is accusing the Top Gear team of being touchy feely. Neither does Clarkson have a record of being an arse to producers.

It is a TV program at the end of the day, the "liberal media" doesn't do the left any favours with the get Clarkson thing. Let him get on with making childish TV, let the BBC make some money out of it and let's get back to real politics. If there is enough here to merit a criminal complaint then that would change things, but there seems no immediate movement there.

The left would be better focussed on ramming home the message that the PM is an incompetent vindictive twat.
Judging by the Tweets I'm getting, a lot of people find it appalling that more people have signed the petition for him not to be sacked than for FGM or foodbanks and it's a sad reflection on our society.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 7 mins7 minutes ago
MT @May2015NS: Avg of 4 #GE2015 forecasts updated

CON—286 LAB—264 SNP—48 LD—26.
Lab+SNP=312
Con+LD=312. LDs remain pivotal.

/H4KcW7lcCH
I think I'll go and quietly cut my wrists.... :roll:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:

Lab+SNP=312

/H4KcW7lcCH
Please don't make jokes like that - you don't know who may be reading & feel sufficiently emboldened to do just that.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

And another in the "Whose stupid idea was this?" series - an ongoing one...

Major shake-up at struggling Ipswich Academy with new sponsor and boss due in September after damning Ofsted report

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/major ... _1_3987451
A troubled Ipswich academy is to get a new sponsor and principal after the Government ordered a major shake-up, the Ipswich Star can exclusively reveal.

The former secretary of state for education, Michael Gove, took a tour of Ipswich Academy in 2013 before officially opening the new school building
The Department for Education (DfE) has removed Ipswich Academy’s sponsor the Learning Schools Trust. The changes will affect the school, formerly Holywells High School, from September.

Pamela Hutchison, who has been executive principal since September, will also go in a major shake-up of the school which has around 840 students between 11-18.
OK, so a quick look at The Learning Schools Trust reveals that they have (had) three schools.

So where are the other two (sponsored in Sep 2010) before they added this one in Ipswich in March 2011?

Twickenham.

:roll:

Incidentally, being photographed with Gove seems to be the kiss of death - a King Midas In Reverse...

Edit - oh, I'm wrong - I was looking at an old list - they have another school...in Northamptonshire!
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Wed 11 Mar, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: It's overdue for an overhaul anyway. It's had the current format for 13 years and tipped into self-parody a while ago.

Well,seeing as none of us were present at the time of the 'fracas',it's probably best to let the beeb continue to investigate what actually happened,speak to any witnesses then act in an appropriate manner.
God knows why it has to be a 'lefty' versus 'righty' battle.Simply a workplace incident,if he did deck someone then normal workplace protocols should apply,regardless of how much money he brings in,if he did no such thing there shouldn't be a problem.
Speaking as someone who has never watched top gear or could care less for TV personalities of any political persuasion.
(Getting the hang of this tablet now)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:And another in the "Whose stupid idea was this?" series - an ongoing one...

Major shake-up at struggling Ipswich Academy with new sponsor and boss due in September after damning Ofsted report

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/major ... _1_3987451
A troubled Ipswich academy is to get a new sponsor and principal after the Government ordered a major shake-up, the Ipswich Star can exclusively reveal.

The former secretary of state for education, Michael Gove, took a tour of Ipswich Academy in 2013 before officially opening the new school building
The Department for Education (DfE) has removed Ipswich Academy’s sponsor the Learning Schools Trust. The changes will affect the school, formerly Holywells High School, from September.

Pamela Hutchison, who has been executive principal since September, will also go in a major shake-up of the school which has around 840 students between 11-18.
OK, so a quick look at The Learning Schools Trust reveals that they have (had) three schools.

So where are the other two (sponsored in Sep 2010) before they added this one in Ipswich in March 2011?

Twickenham.

:roll:

Incidentally, being photographed with Gove seems to be the kiss of death - a King Midas In Reverse...
Another for Govey's marginal seat cock up tour too.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:

Lab+SNP=312

/H4KcW7lcCH
I think we've won 8 seats back from the SNP since the other day though.

I don't see the Tories doing that well in England.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Right!

I've had a bellyful of this ghastly behaviour!

It's Lady Jacobia Rees-Moggy heah, peasants, and it's high time you started to emulate your superiors!

Mr.Clarkson is not from quite the right sort of femily, hence his incomprehension of the correct way to chastise insubordinate servants.
The thing to do, as his friend the Boy Cameron would tell him if he only listened, is to get out the horsewhip and thrash the man.

You see, this is what happens when people of quality allow their inferiors to mix in circles for which they are not properly trained.

The Boy Cameron has a lot to answer for in this regard - he is bringing all manner of odd people into decent society and it won't do.
Clarke or whoever is one. He even had someone called Rebekkie or something desperate lending him horses at one point.
I don't know what the world's coming to, really I don't. Little Sam Sheffield made a bit of an error marrying out of the very top drawer...

And as for that funny little man with the adenoids, Mills or something, how dare he demand anything?
Most people avoid debates like the plague. Jonty never ever did any when he was up - mind you, he got sent down sharpish for smoking what Papa used to call reefer cigarettes so he didn't last long anyway.....

I must dash. I have flower-arranging to supervise.

Just one thing - if little Miss Riots remains absent for much longer, something will have to be done! The blackleading doesn't do itself.

Toodlepip! And remember to vote the way your master tells you. Anything else is just foolishness.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Kathy retweeted
Stevie Chick ‏@stevie_chick 3 hrs3 hours ago

@Maria_MillerMP you are an embarrassment. you should be embarrassed about this tweet.

Maria Miller poking her head above the parapet defending Clarkson --- unfortunate choice of Tweet I'd say.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Lab+SNP=312

/H4KcW7lcCH
Please don't make jokes like that - you don't know who may be reading & feel sufficiently emboldened to do just that.
Sorry. I put the eye rolling smiley in to show I wasn't that serious.