Wednesday 11th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 11th March 2015

Post by RogerOThornhill »

On the hustings itself, this confirms what I thought...

Sam Freedman @Samfr · 12m 12 minutes ago
Laws says Gove was almost physically sick when he had to announce regional schools commissioners #TEShustings

Bounced into it by a combination of Laws and Wilshaw. And, IIRC, Graham Stuart found out by reading an ad in the TEX which is not the way to treat a select committee chairman.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'm looking at the Hustings too.

Morgan sounds like she's coming third.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That tedious Tory teacher Antony Little is tweeting out "Boo, Labour!" stuff.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:A couple of thoughts ....

On BBC producers, who don't necessarily have as much power as you might think. In fact, in some cases, the title is little more than an honorific; in the days before the advent of BBC Online a friend of mine was the editor of the online version of the Radio Times and, as such, was awarded the title of Producer - it meant little on a day to day basis, but did mean she was able to blag her way into screenings with Barry Norman and the filming of a variety of shows.

On children's names. I once worked with a bloke who was by nature the office joker. When he and his wife had a son their intention was to call him Richard Edward until I asked my colleague what, if anybody started working with us who had that name, he would shorten it to; I've always considered young Richard Anthony owes me a serious favour!

When my granddaughter was around five she was out in the car with us and I pointed out the house my dad had been born in. She asked me what he was called and without thinking I said Richard but everyone called him Dick...There was a horrified silence from the back and then she hurriedly changed the subject. :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:

On BBC producers, who don't necessarily have as much power as you might think. In fact, in some cases, the title is little more than an honorific; in the days before the advent of BBC Online a friend of mine was the editor of the online version of the Radio Times and, as such, was awarded the title of Producer - it meant little on a day to day basis, but did mean she was able to blag her way into screenings with Barry Norman and the filming of a variety of shows.

On children's names. I once worked with a bloke who was by nature the office joker. When he and his wife had a son their intention was to call him Richard Edward until I asked my colleague what, if anybody started working with us who had that name, he would shorten it to; I've always considered young Richard Anthony owes me a serious favour!

When my granddaughter was around five she was out in the car with us and I pointed out the house my dad had been born in. She asked me what he was called and without thinking I said Richard but everyone called him Dick...There was a horrified silence from the back and then she hurriedly changed the subject. :lol:

No man - or woman - has fully tested their powers of self control, until they have faced this ultimate test.

Meeting somebody face to face who introduces themselves as Richard Head.
Release the Guardvarks.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

No man - or woman - has fully tested their powers of self control, until they have faced this ultimate test.

Meeting somebody face to face who introduces themselves as Richard Head.
Au contraire. Our neighbour was a very nice chap, name of Micheal Hunt.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

An asian friend once proudly announced the name of her newborn daughter and when we asked her how it was spelt she replied "L-A-B-O-U-R" to which my puzzled response was "So you're a big fan of Tony Blair then?"

She changed the spelling pronto... :D

And I'm genuinely not making that up. :lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Spacedone wrote:An asian friend once proudly announced the name of her newborn daughter and when we asked her how it was spelt she replied "L-A-B-O-U-R" to which my puzzled response was "So you're a big fan of Tony Blair then?"

American volleyball star - Destinee Hooker.

Given she is a very tall lady, and the daughter of a US Marine I suspect her name passed without comment at school.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Spacedone wrote:An asian friend once proudly announced the name of her newborn daughter and when we asked her how it was spelt she replied "L-A-B-O-U-R" to which my puzzled response was "So you're a big fan of Tony Blair then?"

Given she is a very tall lady, and the daughter of a US Marine I suspect her name passed without comment at school.
Unlike someone I went to school with whose mother married a bloke called Bates, from which point on our year teacher (!) referred to the poor sod as Master Bates.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I knew someone at work with the surname Pease and when she had a boy I jokingly said to someone that she'd called it Warren...Warren Pease.

Anyhow, I saw her when she came back from maternity and forgotten that it was a name that I'd made up and asked her how her son Warren was. She gave me a look and said "It's Aaron...why would I call him Warren?"

Oops.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Spacedone wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Unlike someone I went to school with whose mother married a bloke called Bates, from which point on our year teacher (!) referred to the poor sod as Master Bates.
From which I conclude your teacher was either a total idiot or a sadist and wasted in teaching. They could have had a fine job in the army as respectively an officer or an NCO.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: American volleyball star - Destinee Hooker.

From which I conclude your teacher was either a total idiot or a sadist and wasted in teaching. They could have had a fine job in the army as respectively an officer or an NCO.
He was brilliant actually. One of the best teachers I ever had. I can't comment on what Master Bates thought of him though.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Sun/YouGov

Labour 35 (+4)
Con 34 (+1)
UKIP 14 (-1)
LD 7 (-1)
Green 5 (-1)
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

adam wrote:Sun/YouGov

Labour 35 (+4)
Con 34 (+1)
UKIP 14 (-1)
LD 7 (-1)
Green 5 (-1)
:D

Oh dear, NickyB's crossover just went a bit wrong...he's not going to be happy.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Times story about how the SNP's "minister" for Europe (it's not a devolved matter) wrote a memo worrying about EU dues if they didn't get the British rebate.

Funny, they sounded so sure about that.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:
adam wrote:Sun/YouGov

Labour 35 (+4)
Con 34 (+1)
UKIP 14 (-1)
LD 7 (-1)
Green 5 (-1)
:D

Oh dear, NickyB's crossover just went a bit wrong...he's not going to be happy.
The Tory party still haven't managed 3 You Gov polls with them in the lead. Given we can see the obvious outliers based on an aggregate analysis of polls, you would think the commentators and polling companies could as well.
Release the Guardvarks.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Dave (the Freeview channel, not the PM) are now advertising that "due to a fracas" they are the only channel where you can watch an episode of Top Gear on Sunday evening. :clap: :lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Eric_WLothian wrote:Dave (the Freeview channel, not the PM) are now advertising that "due to a fracas" they are the only channel where you can watch an episode of Top Gear on Sunday evening. :clap: :lol:
Genius.

I loved James May's tweet earlier.
Save Clarkson? Save empty cardboard boxes and off-cuts of string. They're far more useful.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Na na na na na na. We're winning the polls, na na na. Not listening.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... l-revenues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "far from neutral Tory think tank IFS" dares to estimate next years GERs.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Eric_WLothian wrote:Dave (the Freeview channel, not the PM) are now advertising that "due to a fracas" they are the only channel where you can watch an episode of Top Gear on Sunday evening. :clap: :lol:
[youtube]K7CnMQ4L9Pc[/youtube]
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

A pedant writes - you could always catch up with previous episodes on BBC iplayer...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Many years ago, my cousin introduced me to one of his clients. "Hello ****," said the tall blond man, "my name in English is very funny – I am Bent Persson."

BTW, my parents weren't daft enough to name me **** – that could have led to all sorts of pronunciation difficulties. I'm just keeping my own name private in case I inadvertently offend myself :wink:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Na na na na na na. We're winning the polls, na na na. Not listening.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... l-revenues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "far from neutral Tory think tank IFS" dares to estimate next years GERs.
I took great pleasure in posting a comment BTL with the quote from Sturgeon saying that the Tory plan would cost Scotland £14bn in the next Parliament, to which I simply commented that it sounded like a good reason to vote Labour then.

I've no doubt I've received abuse in response to that. :lol: