Friday 13th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Friday 13th March 2015

Post by LadyCentauria »

Mornin' all :)

Tom Pride (he of Pride's Purge) has started a Change.org petition, thus:
Petitioning Death: Reinstate Terry Pratchett
https://www.change.org/p/death-bring-ba ... -pratchett

I've signed.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Friday 13th March 2015

Post by StephenDolan »

Just catching up with Miliband on Free Speech. Very impressive performance, great engagement.

What a surprise that the tory tweed shill (sorry, three generations of Labour voters ;) ) clapping along to the Kosovan Conservative voter.

Bring on the debates.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Ed Miliband targets energy firms with proposed price-cut powers for Ofgem

http://gu.com/p/46t5k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see the same bluster and dismissing of the policy has taken place as the original 'resetting' announcement. Good. I wonder what the polling figures are for this?

:dance:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... o-improve/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SNP were predicted to win 55, Labour 1. Now it's 48 v 9 (Both on uniform swings, 46% v 27%).
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Ooh, interesting...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/uk-e ... -forecast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Good morning - you're starting early, Stephen.

It seems Nicholas (anagram) Watt has decided to treat the Great Kitchen Scandal as real news.

Sarah Vine's disapproval of the cleanliness and the presence of a green laundry basket in what appears to be a utility room is very very important.
Anagram, of course, failed to spot that Dear Sarah extols the homely virtues of her own kitchen which is so homely it attracts vermin.

Never mind.

What really really matters is that her husband, the Govefish, has opined that his party must show that they are the "warriors for the dispossessed"

They already are - they have fought tooth and nail for the dispossessed, as we know. They have fought to make them homeless, they have fought to make them hungry, and they have fought very very hard indeed for more dispossessed people to the point they've now got loads of 'em.

Next - Grayling distributes milk (of human kindness) to old lags; IDS replaces benefits with vouchers for loaves and fishes which go a very long way when distributed fairly; and Osborne offers curtains from his family's company for pensioners if they cash in their annuities.

Does their generosity know no bounds?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Re. Miliband on Free Speech - I thought he was excellent.

I was particularly struck by his honesty on the subject of an EU referendum - he said if he was PM he would do what he thinks is best for the country and not attempt to gain popularity by pandering to this sort of thing.
I think that was very brave - and it shows he understands what leadership is about. Sometimes you have to insist on a course of action that you believe in - even if it is unpopular in certain quarters.

That chair - what sprung to mind was Python's Spanish Inquisition - "Oh no! Not the comfy chair!"

He did good.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Conservatives lead at 1 on Youogv:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 12th March -

Con 33%, (-1)
Lab 32%, (-3)
LD 7%, (nc)
UKIP 16%, (+2)
GRN 6%; (+1)

APP -17 (nc)
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Good aftmornevetinoonington

Well...that was interesting....had one of my very (and increasingly) infrequent visits to Radio 4 Toady Tory PPB this morning.

Justin (for I think it was he): "Go on - admit it - if ED MILIBAND and LABOUR hadn't introduced the price freeze pledge, energy prices would be lower, wouldn't they?"

Caroline Flint (as I think it was she, too): "Well not really - the prices go up when wholesale prices go up but not down when they go down and this was highlighted in a report in 2011 and reiterated in another report last year (2014)"

J: "Yes - but it's LABOURS (and MILIBANDS) fault that the prices are as high as they are, isn't it? If you hadn't announced the price freeze, prices would've gone down, wouldn't they? Wouldn't they?"

As ever, not verbatim, but I'm sure you get the drift - it certainly sounded like the sort of in-depth policy analysis and critique that has been such a feature of the current administration :toss: ....although, the anti-Labour stuff was so thickly applied I didn't get angry...or start shouting (to the relief of Wolflet No1 who has had to get used to my early morning volcano impressions) - it was eerily odd - the tone of voice seemed to be saying 'have I really got to read out this garbage? Really? Are you sure? OK then, but it's going to be unbelievably difficult to make it sound in any way plausible'.

The bit that did get me slightly riled was Flints answer to the re-nationalisation option for energy - 'don't want to go from 'Big 6' to 'Big 1'...must make market work....efficient market will work....want market' - there is still a belief(TM) in Labour that the markets rule...despite all the evidence to the contrary...and the fact that an average of 60% of those polled did/do not want privatised energy.

In other news, on the R4 Toady timeline I found this...

'A statue of Mahatma Gandhi will be unveiled in Parliament Square tomorrow. The sculpture is inspired by photographs of the Indian independence leader outside 10 Downing Street in 1931. It's been funded by the Gandhi Statue Memorial Trust (donations passed £1 million). Gandhi will be the first Indian and the only person never to have been in public office to be honoured with a statue in the square. His memorial will stand alongside those of Abraham Lincoln and Nelson Mandela opposite the Houses of Parliament. Patrick French is author of "India: A Portrait".'

Two of those three heroes were followers/advocates of Marxism (as opposed to Capitalism), to a greater or lesser degree....wonder if anyone'll mention it...

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 615289.ece

http://theagentofchange.tumblr.com/post ... lationship
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@ Wolfie

The Dalai Lama has said: “as far as sociopolitical beliefs are concerned, I consider myself a Marxist.”

In 'Beyond Dogma: Dialogues and Discourses'
''Of all the modern economic theories, the economic system of Marxism is founded on moral principles, while capitalism is concerned with only with gain and profitability. Marxism is concerned with the distribution of wealth on an equal basis and the equitable utilization of the means of production

It is also concerned with the fate of the working classes—that is the majority—as well as with the fate of those who are underprivileged and in need, and Marxism cares about the victims of minority-imposed exploitation. For those reasons the system appeals to me, and it seems fair…

The failure of the regime in the Soviet Union was, for me not the failure of Marxism but the failure of totalitarianism. For this reason I think of myself as half-Marxist, half-Buddhist.''

Elsewhere he has said, I paraphrase somewhat, that revolutions based on hatred and aggression will be doomed to fail and that has often been the problem with Marxism so far when applied.
Change needs to come using compassion. Hard to do though.

http://www.tricycle.com/web-exclusive/occupy-buddhism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 13 Mar, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I see the right wing media, [and the Guardian courtesy of Watt minor] are carrying on the Ed kitchen attacks.

Turns out the kitchen he & Justine were pictured in is a small side room to their sitting room which is used to make tea & coffee.

So...Sarah Vine's attack is shown up to be even more bollocks but now the Telegraph are pushing 'how can he talk about the poor when he has two kitchens' twollop.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

yahyah wrote:I see the right wing media, and the Guardian are carrying on the Ed kitchen attacks.

Turns out the kitchen he & Justine were pictured in is a small side room to their sitting room which is used to make tea & coffee.

So...Sarah Vine's attack is shown up to be even more bollocks but now the Telegraph are pushing 'how can he talk about the poor when he has two kitchens' twollop.
Tbh I don't give a flying fig about this squirrel room. I'm more interested in the lack of build up in the media to the final budget of this parliament.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:
yahyah wrote:I see the right wing media, and the Guardian are carrying on the Ed kitchen attacks.

Tbh I don't give a flying fig about this squirrel room. I'm more interested in the lack of build up in the media to the final budget of this parliament.

I agree about the budget being largely ignored.

But the way Ed's kitchen is being headlines just proves what Justine said.
Also, fully expect to see snide digs about Orthodox Jewish kosher kitchens, some have separate sinks/pans etc to avoid milk and meat contamination but some people if they have room/money have separate kitchens.
There were definitely anti-semitic overtones from some on social media about the bacon sandwich - asking if he'd got permission from his rabbi was re-tweeted.
Crosby's foot soldiers will be using every dog whistle they can to show Ed 'isn't one of us'.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Isn't the two kitchens scandal an excellent chance to remind people of other photo ops?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex ... ron-622779" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

exclusive-con-yer-bike-cameron from 2006
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 09.53.08.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 09.53.08.png (72.76 KiB) Viewed 12036 times
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

I agree about the budget being largely ignored.

But the way Ed's kitchen is being headlines just proves what Justine said.
Also, fully expect to see snide digs about Orthodox Jewish kosher kitchens, some have separate sinks/pans etc to avoid milk and meat contamination but some people if they have room/money have separate kitchens.
There were definitely anti-semitic overtones from some on social media about the bacon sandwich - asking if he'd got permission from his rabbi was re-tweeted.
Crosby's foot soldiers will be using every dog whistle they can to show Ed 'isn't one of us'.
I'm actually enjoying the kitchen thing, though, because it's so lame. Ed said something on the Ask Ed show on BBC3 that stood out for me. He used the word decency. He's used it before -
Ed Miliband has insisted that he has the strength of character to be prime minister, arguing that decency should not be mistaken for weakness, as the Labour party prepares to launch a rearguard action against attacks on his character.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... r-weakness
Ed's genuine integrity as a decent human being is his greatest strength. The expenses scandal showed this - among all the snout in the trough New Labourites he came out of the whole thing with his integrity intact and clean expenses. The same with Syria. He stuck to the rules, insisted on going through the UN. The Tories can't sling mud at him if there is no mud to sling. They're going to have to fight him on policies and that's why I'm feeling quite cheerful today, because the Tories clearly don't have any policies, just kitchens and tax cuts.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Standard of BBC political discourse News Channel 08.45 this morning.

Carole Walker (who obviously gets her questions from the Daily Mail) interviewing Caroline Flint,ostensibly about energy policy.

Question 1 Labours policy is very confused and have had to back track from original policy

Question 2 But its labours fault that prices are so high.

Question 3 Were you surprised to learn that your leader has two kitchens

Question 4 How many kitchens do you have?

Thought Caroline Flint handled it all well.Answered question1 & 2 with an assertive "thats not true" and questions 3 & 4 with "can we discuss substantive issues.

Feel like complaing but ,having been told too many times by the BBC,that they are right and I am wrong,I won't waste my time.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

There we go
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 10.02.23.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 10.02.23.png (99.52 KiB) Viewed 12023 times
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

yahyah wrote:@ Wolfie

The Dalai Lama has said: “as far as sociopolitical beliefs are concerned, I consider myself a Marxist.”

In 'Beyond Dogma: Dialogues and Discourses'
''Of all the modern economic theories, the economic system of Marxism is founded on moral principles, while capitalism is concerned with only with gain and profitability. Marxism is concerned with the distribution of wealth on an equal basis and the equitable utilization of the means of production

It is also concerned with the fate of the working classes—that is the majority—as well as with the fate of those who are underprivileged and in need, and Marxism cares about the victims of minority-imposed exploitation. For those reasons the system appeals to me, and it seems fair…

The failure of the regime in the Soviet Union was, for me not the failure of Marxism but the failure of totalitarianism. For this reason I think of myself as half-Marxist, half-Buddhist.''

Elsewhere he has said, I paraphrase somewhat, that revolutions based on hatred and aggression will be doomed to fail and that has often been the problem with Marxism so far when applied.

http://www.tricycle.com/web-exclusive/occupy-buddhism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite...(and thanks - hadn't seen the Dalai Lama and Marxism before) but - we are repeatedly told Marx isn't relevant to the modern world...by politicians and journalists who haven't read (or if they have read, haven't understood) Marx - for me it comes down to the (perceived by me) difference between the Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital...one explains the nature of capital versus labour and the other describes how society (for want of a better word) could be organised in relation to that nature(?) - which is where it falls down - the inherent nature of power....'power corrupts' etc.

I believe(TM) that 'Marxism' is a humanist philosophy and not a political ideology (and I also find Engels more human than Marx) and that it is possible to have 're-evolution' rather than a 'revolution' and bloodshed...unfortunately, Capitalists are not known for relinquishing their power when asked nicely....still living in Hope, however (north of Peterborough and 54 days from Landslide :) )
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Counting chickens.

StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

From Mark Steel's fine piece at the independent.

' if Ed Miliband’s question was even more ridiculous, such as, “Having remarked that he has no time to discuss television programmes, does the Prime Minister have any plans to go straight to a TV studio to defend the presenter of Top Gear?” '
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 04861.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:From Mark Steel's fine piece at the independent.

' if Ed Miliband’s question was even more ridiculous, such as, “Having remarked that he has no time to discuss television programmes, does the Prime Minister have any plans to go straight to a TV studio to defend the presenter of Top Gear?” '
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 04861.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for alerting me to that. Mark Steel's got David Cameron's attitude to a "T".
How dare anyone ask David Cameron to take part in TV debates – don't they know who he is?

The PM says he's done his best to ensure the debates take place, but all the other leaders keep getting in the way by agreeing to everything (Independent)
Here's a link to said article -

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 04861.html
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Saw the Ask Ed programme last night, and he was exactly what I thought he'd be - witty, quick thinking, principled and engaging. What's the betting the meeja won't be reporting that. Oh, and props to the majority of the audience - on the whole a good bunch.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon (somewhat belatedly).
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I see Robert Peston has a programme tonight about France. The synopsis the BBC gives is dreadful. It might as well be written by any tory troll, so full of nonsense it is and so completely informed by dull, politically biased stupidity about France

Hollande did not promise to introduce higher public spending or to increase the public sector. His party fully supports the ECB policies towards debts and austerity, and, indeed, he has continued austerity policies in France by attacking workers rights and conditions. He did not promise to overhaul the tax regime, but, in response to the Front de Gauche's promise to do exactly that, he was panicked into support for one new band for income tax at a higher rate. This half-hearted piece of posturing has been taken as the central plank of the government's policy, but it was nothing but a sop to left-wing voters - and it worked, reducing the FdG's vote by three of four percentage points as its support rallied to the PS to keep Sarkozy out.

Yet the right-wing mantra has been that he has tried to introduce 'socialism' and has 'failed' faced with 'reality'.

In fact, Hollande and the PS went into the elections promising to uphold the EU's stability pact which limits public spending and debts and which means that France, once a sovereign nation, now has to have its budgets approved in Brussels. More recently the party has been split because of the ideological drive of the right-wing PM, backed by the right-wing President, M. Hollande himself. The PS can no longer be sure of carrying a majority in the assemblies and the party itself is facing fundamental splits as the leadership alienates its members with hard-line right-wing policies.

Yet, somehow this is the failure of socialism and indicates the utter futility of trying to change things, even if you actually aren't trying to change them at all.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

After a quick scan of the Scottish polling figures, Labour 2010 voters VI make interesting reading to me.

For the GE
C8, L48, Lib1, SNP41

For the Holyrood election
C8, L87, Lib1, SNP3
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

StephenDolan wrote:After a quick scan of the Scottish polling figures, Labour 2010 voters VI make interesting reading to me.

For the GE
C8, L48, Lib1, SNP41

C8, L87, Lib1, SNP3
Quick Stephen! Post anything!! 666 posts - it's him!
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

What happened to Europe's social democratic parties? At about the same time - mid to late 1990s - they all became right-wing, pro-market, pro-capital parties. The PS, PSOE, Labour, SPD, all the same, as if it was coordinated.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Saw the Ask Ed programme last night, and he was exactly what I thought he'd be - witty, quick thinking, principled and engaging. What's the betting the meeja won't be reporting that. Oh, and props to the majority of the audience - on the whole a good bunch.
I only managed to catch the tail end of it but was impressed by most of what I saw and heard. I thought his answer on the cannabis question was a bit all over the place - although I appreciate that it's a "careful where you tread and don't get caught out" area. And the questioner was rather over-strident and perhaps rather subjective in her choice of facts.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:After a quick scan of the Scottish polling figures, Labour 2010 voters VI make interesting reading to me.

For the GE
C8, L48, Lib1, SNP41

C8, L87, Lib1, SNP3
Quick Stephen! Post anything!! 666 posts - it's him!
He's posted 3 times! and stuck in rusbridger hell!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

No it changes all your icons in all your posts. Post quick Stephen.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

Michael Gove's speech to the Legatum Institute this week, launching the Good Right initiative:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... bout-right" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is he positioning himself for the leadership race after the election?

It's a long read, unfortunately I didn't finish it as I couldn't get past this bit.
When David Cameron ran for the leadership of my party he did so, and I supported him, because he defined himself as a modern, compassionate Conservative.

Throughout the last five years David Cameron has governed, and I have been privileged to support him, as a modern, compassionate Conservative.

And now David Cameron is campaigning, and I am proud to support him, to secure a majority for a modern, compassionate Conservative Government.

Right from the start of his David’s leadership we have outlined a vision of Government consistent with the principles Tim and Stephan have outlined - making the State both the guarantor of security and the emancipator of all.

David has argued consistently and passionately that this country benefits from a secure and well-resourced National Health Service funded from general taxation and available to all at the point of need. He has made clear that no part of that commitment will be diluted. David insisted educational opportunity should be extended and inequalities reduced - and demanded the comprehensive system be modernised to make it work, not overlooked in favour of alternatives. David also liberalised the party’s attitude towards development and ensured it was in favour of more housebuilding. And David inaugurated a programme of welfare reform designed to tackle poverty at source.

These early signals of intent demonstrated that David understood that in Government we would have to be reformers - with a specific mission to make opportunity more equal.

And that is what we have done.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Populus ‏@PopulusPolls 18 mins18 minutes ago

Latest Populus VI: Lab 32 (-1), Con 29 (-3), LD 8 (-1), UKIP 18 (+3), Greens 6 (-), Others 7 (+1). Tables here:

http://www.populus.co.uk/Poll/Voting-Intention-170/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ohsocynical wrote:Populus ‏@PopulusPolls 18 mins18 minutes ago

Latest Populus VI: Lab 32 (-1), Con 29 (-3), LD 8 (-1), UKIP 18 (+3), Greens 6 (-), Others 7 (+1). Tables here:

http://www.populus.co.uk/Poll/Voting-Intention-170/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Hmmm, from that it's obvious that folk are turning to UKIP because they are angry about Ed's kitchen and Jezza's suspension.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

WelshIan wrote:Michael Gove's speech to the Legatum Institute this week, launching the Good Right initiative:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... bout-right" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a long read, unfortunately I didn't finish it as I couldn't get past this bit.
When David Cameron ran for the leadership of my party he did so, and I supported him, because he defined himself as a modern, compassionate Conservative.

Throughout the last five years David Cameron has governed, and I have been privileged to support him, as a modern, compassionate Conservative.

And now David Cameron is campaigning, and I am proud to support him, to secure a majority for a modern, compassionate Conservative Government.

Right from the start of his David’s leadership we have outlined a vision of Government consistent with the principles Tim and Stephan have outlined - making the State both the guarantor of security and the emancipator of all.

David has argued consistently and passionately that this country benefits from a secure and well-resourced National Health Service funded from general taxation and available to all at the point of need. He has made clear that no part of that commitment will be diluted. David insisted educational opportunity should be extended and inequalities reduced - and demanded the comprehensive system be modernised to make it work, not overlooked in favour of alternatives. David also liberalised the party’s attitude towards development and ensured it was in favour of more housebuilding. And David inaugurated a programme of welfare reform designed to tackle poverty at source.

These early signals of intent demonstrated that David understood that in Government we would have to be reformers - with a specific mission to make opportunity more equal.

There's a lot of 'compassionate' there, and they managed to stick in a 'passionate about' just to be on the safe side.

It's like reading badly written fiction...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

WelshIan wrote:Michael Gove's speech to the Legatum Institute this week, launching the Good Right initiative:

And far too many 'Davids'.....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:No it changes all your icons in all your posts. Post quick Stephen.
Not this time. He's had the dreaded face at least three times....
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

frightful_oik wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Populus ‏@PopulusPolls 18 mins18 minutes ago

Hmmm, from that it's obvious that folk are turning to UKIP because they are angry about Ed's kitchen and Jezza's suspension.
I notice in NicholArse Twatts piece on Gove in the Guardian he claims the Tories are finally pulling ahead of Labour in the polls. It is like they create a narrative and fail to notice when the facts don't follow it.
Release the Guardvarks.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

ohsocynical wrote: It's like reading badly written fiction...
Probably because that's what it is
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:Saw the Ask Ed programme last night, and he was exactly what I thought he'd be - witty, quick thinking, principled and engaging. What's the betting the meeja won't be reporting that. Oh, and props to the majority of the audience - on the whole a good bunch.
I only managed to catch the tail end of it but was impressed by most of what I saw and heard. I thought his answer on the cannabis question was a bit all over the place - although I appreciate that it's a "careful where you tread and don't get caught out" area. And the questioner was rather over-strident and perhaps rather subjective in her choice of facts.
It was a bit messy, wasn't it? I'm not sure it did him any harm though. Despite clearly being thrown by the question and not particularly prepared, he still showed a willingness to engage and be open and honest in his response. If anything, he came across as having never really given the subject of cannabis much thought, which is probably better from the young person's perspective than someone with a hardline attitude to it!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'd always thought utility rooms were primarily a bit weird, but have just realised that the people who have them are just disguising the fact that they have TWO KITCHENS.

Which means, that quite a lot of people have two kitchens.

I can scarcely contain my envious wrath.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
It was a bit messy, wasn't it? I'm not sure it did him any harm though. Despite clearly being thrown by the question and not particularly prepared, he still showed a willingness to engage and be open and honest in his response. If anything, he came across as having never really given the subject of cannabis much thought, which is probably better from the young person's perspective than someone with a hardline attitude to it!
It is one of those questions you probably need to avoid answering.

In fact his eventual answer that tobacco and alcohol may be worse but they are what we have, and we are not going to add to it is the right one.

Other lines being it encourages people to smoke, and one not to say - doing large amounts of the stuff makes you stupid.
Release the Guardvarks.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Is Cameron really going to do one of those Free Speech session? I don't think it will go well if he does.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Owen Jones take on the latest SquirrelGate

The most important political issue of the moment? Ed Miliband’s kitchens

http://gu.com/p/46th2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So long 666, hello 667. :wink:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
No, I don't think it did him any harm, either. It's probably an issue that isn't at the top of his (or a lot of people's) list of priorities and is more something which needs to be, and may may well be, addressed in due course but not as a matter of great urgency.

Edited to add a "be" since I fell short of the target last time.

The place is swarming with "bes" now. It must be the unseasonally warm weather.
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 13 Mar, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

'doing large amounts of the stuff makes you stupid.'

ahem...not in my experience.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Could we perhaps have a little sympathy for Sarah Vine?
I know if I woke up every morning next to Michael Gove I would also be a nasty,vindictive bitch.
Extenuating circumstances innit.
Last edited by Rebecca on Fri 13 Mar, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote: I only managed to catch the tail end of it but was impressed by most of what I saw and heard. I thought his answer on the cannabis question was a bit all over the place - although I appreciate that it's a "careful where you tread and don't get caught out" area. And the questioner was rather over-strident and perhaps rather subjective in her choice of facts.
No, I don't think it did him any harm, either. It's probably an issue that isn't at the top of his (or a lot of people's) list of priorities and is more something which needs to be, and may may well be, addressed in due course but not as a matter of great urgency.

Edited to add a "be"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:

Edited to add a "be"
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

So HSBC and Green are not going to be generating any headlines upto the GE, right?

' The French financial state prosecutor has requested that HSBC’s Swiss private bank be sent to criminal trial over a suspected tax-dodging scheme for wealthy customers.

The recommendation follows a lengthy investigation by local magistrates into alleged tax fraud involving 3,000 French taxpayers and is a procedural step that brings the Swiss banking arm one step closer to a possible trial in France.

The parent company HSBC, which faces a separate ongoing French investigation, was not immediately available for comment, Reuters reported.

The bank now has one month to respond after which French magistrates will take the final decision on whether to hold a trial. '
HSBC's Swiss private bank brought step closer to criminal trial in France

http://gu.com/p/46tgj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:rofl: :popcorn:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

mikems wrote:'doing large amounts of the stuff makes you stupid.'

ahem...not in my experience.
But how old are you? Get to my and Mr Ohso's age, and you find friends who've been a wee bit heavy handed since their teens have fried their brains. Not all of them, but enough to make us glad we didn't dabble.

And no, they don't have dementia....