Friday 13th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Re: Friday 13th March 2015

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Rebecca wrote:Could we perhaps have a little sympathy for Sarah Vine?
I know if I woke up every morning next to Michael Gove I would also be a nasty,vindictive bitch.
Extenuating circumstances innit.
I didn't detect much sympathy for her from Michael Portillo or Andrew Neil in last night's 'This Week'. :lol: :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I'd always thought utility rooms were primarily a bit weird, but have just realised that the people who have them are just disguising the fact that they have TWO KITCHENS.

Which means, that quite a lot of people have two kitchens.

I can scarcely contain my envious wrath.
Worth noting that houses that have a "granny flat" (whilst granny was around) have a second kitchen, often a kitchenette, so gran retains some independence whilst being and feeling close to the family.
If you move into a house with an existing granny flat it is sometimes easier (and cheaper) to leave it be, rather than rip it out and re-organise the whole ground floor layout.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
I know if I woke up every morning next to Michael Gove I would also be a nasty,vindictive bitch.
I didn't detect much sympathy for her from Michael Portillo or Andrew Neil in last night's 'This Week'. :lol: :lol:
I thought Portillo was particularly waspish, indeed almost the angriest I've see him on the show.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
I thought Portillo was particularly waspish, indeed almost the angriest I've see him on the show.
Indeed, he didn't even try to hide his very obvious dislike for the woman.

Neither would I, Johnson looked exasperated by it all, as of to say "FFS has it come to this".

Horrendous woman, why do TV companies and newspapers seem to think the only women worth employing are ones like Vine and Platell.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
The more they regarded her with contempt and disdain,the louder she shouted.Embarrassing.
Surprised nobody pointed out that if Ed M becomes primes minister,Mrs Goves' husband would be out of a job in govt.
(Nobody during the interview obvs,not elsewhere)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote: I didn't detect much sympathy for her from Michael Portillo or Andrew Neil in last night's 'This Week'. :lol: :lol:
Indeed, he didn't even try to hide his very obvious dislike for the woman.

Neither would I, Johnson looked exasperated by it all, as of to say "FFS has it come to this".

Horrendous woman, why do TV companies and newspapers seem to think the only women worth employing are ones like Vine and Platell.
They serve their purpose - these women are caricatures used to distract, detract & provide cover for Dodging Dave.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Good report & video in the Mirror of how Portillo dealt with Ms Vine, as mentioned in posts above.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wa ... ah-5325887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Best hospitals 'now struggling to see patients'

Pressures in the NHS are so great that even the best hospitals in England are seeing patients wait longer for key services, an analysis shows.

The Nuffield Trust report looked at performance in this Parliament against six targets, covering A&E, operations, cancer and diagnostic tests.

The review said the poorest performing hospitals had been getting worse on most measures for a while.

But it said more recently performance had also started to decline in the top 10% of hospitals, particularly in terms of A&E, hospital operations and, to a lesser extent, hospital appointments.

It said this suggested the problems were "systematic" rather than caused by local or managerial failings. (BBC News website - my emphasis)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31849833
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Regarding the cannabis thing, it is fairly low priority, except if you're an enthusiastic user of the same. There've been many studies over the years that have effectively been scare stories, but when it comes down to it, the worst danger you face with smoking dope is contracting lung cancer. When you're young, a more serious issue for you is coughing your lungs out in front of your mates. Definitely uncool.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Not sure that the idea of frying your brains with pot is anything more than an urban myth or a means of taking the mickey out of mates.

There is no scientific evidence for it, as far as I am aware. There is some evidence that cannabis can delay the onset of dementia, and that it reduces the risk of lung, throat and mouth cancers if you smoke it with tobacco, by lining the surfaces of your lungs and preventing the carcinogenic agents access to your system. But it is definitely best not to smoke tobacco at all.

It is a shame that people don't take this issue on, because, apart from the obvious points, it 'sends a signal' that politicians prefer to ignore evidence if it might get them into trouble with the tabloids, a far worse problem, it seems to me, than 'sending the message' to youngsters that a harmless drug is...harmless.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Also, on the point of cannabis and its illegality. It's illegality can be thought of as a class issue. Cannabis is mostly smoked by working people, and, since there is no rational explanation for its illegality, one has to presume that other reasons exist. One of them is almost certainly an urge to criminalise things that give enjoyment and relaxation to working people, especially if there is no profit for tories to be had from it. That's why the Mail is so anti-pot, imo.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

mikems wrote:Also, on the point of cannabis and its illegality. It's illegality can be thought of as a class issue. Cannabis is mostly smoked by working people, and, since there is no rational explanation for its illegality, one has to presume that other reasons exist. One of them is almost certainly an urge to criminalise things that give enjoyment and relaxation to working people, especially if there is no profit for tories to be had from it. That's why the Mail is so anti-pot, imo.
Well, I don't suppose the drinks industry would take kindly to its legalisation, and they're a fairly powerful lobby. Also, consider that it would be difficult to stop people growing their own, again cutting it industry profits. My personal take is that it's pretty harmless unless you hammer it hard, but that's because it can like any addictive behaviour (NB: not addiction, per se) lead people into societal and family situations that might be very difficult to navigate. Miliband's answer last night was on the whole not unreasonable for a would be PM to make - why introduce another factor with potential harmful effects where it's unnecessary? Simply decriminalise it and break the link with moving on to more unpleasant substances.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

mikems wrote:Not sure that the idea of frying your brains with pot is anything more than an urban myth or a means of taking the mickey out of mates.

There is no scientific evidence for it, as far as I am aware. There is some evidence that cannabis can delay the onset of dementia, and that it reduces the risk of lung, throat and mouth cancers if you smoke it with tobacco, by lining the surfaces of your lungs and preventing the carcinogenic agents access to your system. But it is definitely best not to smoke tobacco at all.

It is a shame that people don't take this issue on, because, apart from the obvious points, it 'sends a signal' that politicians prefer to ignore evidence if it might get them into trouble with the tabloids, a far worse problem, it seems to me, than 'sending the message' to youngsters that a harmless drug is...harmless.
There is a difference between the pot of old and skunk sold today as "pot". Skunk has much higher and stronger active components, that seem to do more harm - brain frying way.
It's not a subject I know a lot about (other than there is a lot of medicinal evidence to support it's use for conditions like MS) but for me at a time when we are beginning to win the smoking war it seems a crazy time to legalise a different method of encouraging smoking.
No drug - even aspirin - is totally harmless.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

mikems wrote:Not sure that the idea of frying your brains with pot is anything more than an urban myth or a means of taking the mickey out of mates.

On balance, I'm in favour of legalisation. I just don't think it's a priority for an incoming Labour Government. I would hope that they'd make a decision based on the evidence (which isn't how the matter has been dealt with to date) - but now is not a wise time for Labour to get mired in the arguments since the issue is not, um, a burning one.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Regarding the cannabis thing, it is fairly low priority, except if you're an enthusiastic user of the same. There've been many studies over the years that have effectively been scare stories, but when it comes down to it, the worst danger you face with smoking dope is contracting lung cancer. When you're young, a more serious issue for you is coughing your lungs out in front of your mates. Definitely uncool.
It's legal in California & other parts of the US. For some people it's beneficial for pain relief & stimulates an appetite making it helpful for those undergoing chemotherapy. Some doctors also recommend it for depression, however, it's a mild hallucinogen. That can be a problem for some but then they find out they don't like what it does & they leave it alone. There are people who respond well to cannabis & those who don't. It's not okay to drive under the influence of cannabis. Mostly, it just makes people hungry & sleepy. I don't mind that.

I don't like it myself but depression runs in my family; we're a nervous crew petrified of uncoated paracetamol tablets. If I were Miliband, I'd be confused about how to sort it all out here in the UK too. Ed Miliband doesn't drink a lot of alcohol & seems genuinely perplexed about mind-altering substances. I understand that feeling. He'll be wise & ask professionals, doctors, what is best policy.

People smoking crack cocaine & using methamphetamines are frightful to encounter. They are like vicious animals & must be avoided. Terribly anti-social drugs. Burn the users up in no time at all.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

PorFavor wrote:

On balance, I'm in favour of legalisation. I just don't think it's a priority for an incoming Labour Government. I would hope that they'd make a decision based on the evidence (which isn't how the matter has been dealt with to date) - but now is not a wise time for Labour to get mired in the arguments since the issue is not, um, a burning one.
I don't subscribe to the frying brains theory, but.....

I have in my time dealt with two people who were consuming large amounts of the stuff. They both went from being bright switched on individuals, to rather slow people who didn't really know what day of the week it was and didn't care. The change was progressive but very obvious. I suspect if they stopped doing the stuff the damage would not be permanent.

So I wouldn't employ somebody doing the stuff (if I knew), but then again alcohol in excess causes huge problems.
Release the Guardvarks.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

My personal take is that it's pretty harmless unless you hammer it hard, but that's because it can like any addictive behaviour (NB: not addiction, per se) lead people into societal and family situations that might be very difficult to navigate. Miliband's answer last night was on the whole not unreasonable for a would be PM to make - why introduce another factor with potential harmful effects where it's unnecessary? Simply decriminalise it and break the link with moving on to more unpleasant substances.
(sorry, don't know how to include the name bits like everyone else can).

I agree that people can become psychologically dependent on it, and that it is not because of any addictive quality inherent in cannabis. Of course, it being illegal adds considerably to possible social effects of smoking. I think decriminalisation is the best option too.

Re skunk. I agree it is not the same as old fashioned pot, but there is no real evidence that it does anyone real harm, in psychological terms, except for those with a predisposition to psychosis already present and if smoking starts at an early age when the brain is still developing.

It can, however, make anyone feel paranoid and unsettled, and that is because it is a genetic hybrid which has removed the strains of active ingredient that ameliorate other strains that have a more psychotropic effect. That is what makes it appear stronger to users and gives rise to the belief that it has harmful effects.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love releasing the Guardvarks.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:I love releasing the Guardvarks.
I thought they were free roaming?
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Well, you are right TE. Stoned people are sometimes not very quick-witted. They may be lost in elevated thoughts of one sort or another. Not a good idea to smoke when you are working. You may be right about it being a long-term thing, but I haven't had that experience myself.

I have found that having a smoke helps me become absorbed in a subject much more intensely than otherwise, but I suppose we all vary too much to make hard and fast prognostications. I have learnt French and computer programming whilst a stoner. Ran businesses, held down jobs etc, etc.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

On cannabis - from someone who worked in the drug/alcohol field!

The active ingredient is THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and more the plant is processed the stronger the hit from it. Buds are mild, resin/oil stronger.
It has 3 phases of psychoactive effect, it can be addictive (although withdrawal is not potentially fatal as it can be with alcohol and other drugs)

THC has been proven to be implicated in some cases of acute paranoia. Heavy use of stronger types of cannabis can cause this to develop as one of the side-effects of the drug anyway; in some people who may have a previously unknown/undiagnosed predisposition to mental illness, it can trigger acute psychotic episodes.

In some cases, the damage to mental health is permanent. The Royal College of Psychiatry has some excellent papers on this.

I am of the view that it should, like all other currently illegal drugs of dependence or addiction, be de-criminalised. It serves no useful purpose to charge people for recreational or medicinal use - and in the case of the latter, it would be better to have sources of the active ingredients which are dosage-standardised, tested and regulated as other drugs are, and available from doctors who can prescribe safely for patients who may not know how cannabis reacts with their existing drugs and are thus risking their health unnecessarily.

Cannabis is NOT harmless. No drug is harmless. Alcohol, nicotine - they're not harmless. Prescription drugs are not harmless.

It makes sense to de-criminalise ALL drugs; doing so would also allow for structured research into their effects, which under current legislation is very difficult. It would allow doctors to prescribe clean diamorphine to injecting addicts, it would allow people with neurological and other disease to ease their symptoms with standardised THC, it would allow people determined to get high to access what they want without risking their health they way they do now. Ketamine is what a lot of people choose to use when there isn't a lot of skunk around, or miaow-miaow - ketamine causes irreversible bladder damage (and plenty more) in people who use it regularly.

A bit of herb at a festival or on a weekend isn't going to do a lot of harm. Certainly no more than a bit of alcohol does.
But it is wrong to say cannabis is not harmful. It carries risks like everything else, and some of them are serious.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

You need to draw a distinction between the genetically modified skunk and unmodified cannabis if you are going to say it is harmful. The young lady questioning Ed Miliband made the point that, if it was decriminalised and regulated, access to skunk, which I am perfectly happy to accept is potentially harmful simply because it is modified to appear stronger, would be harder and regulation could assure the quality and purity of what was being sold.

In any case, the current situation is occurring under proscription, and it is hard to know what more can be done to prevent possible harm, since it is all already illegal. I mean, those who support continuing proscription must recognise that any harm is happening under their own policy, and it is happening now. Simply arguing that cannabis has potentially harmful effects is neither here or there, it seems to me, since people are going to continue using it whatever the law is.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:On cannabis - from someone who worked in the drug/alcohol field!

The active ingredient is THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and more the plant is processed the stronger the hit from it. Buds are mild, resin/oil stronger.
It has 3 phases of psychoactive effect, it can be addictive (although withdrawal is not potentially fatal as it can be with alcohol and other drugs)

THC has been proven to be implicated in some cases of acute paranoia. Heavy use of stronger types of cannabis can cause this to develop as one of the side-effects of the drug anyway; in some people who may have a previously unknown/undiagnosed predisposition to mental illness, it can trigger acute psychotic episodes.

In some cases, the damage to mental health is permanent. The Royal College of Psychiatry has some excellent papers on this.

I am of the view that it should, like all other currently illegal drugs of dependence or addiction, be de-criminalised. It serves no useful purpose to charge people for recreational or medicinal use - and in the case of the latter, it would be better to have sources of the active ingredients which are dosage-standardised, tested and regulated as other drugs are, and available from doctors who can prescribe safely for patients who may not know how cannabis reacts with their existing drugs and are thus risking their health unnecessarily.

Cannabis is NOT harmless. No drug is harmless. Alcohol, nicotine - they're not harmless. Prescription drugs are not harmless.

It makes sense to de-criminalise ALL drugs; doing so would also allow for structured research into their effects, which under current legislation is very difficult. It would allow doctors to prescribe clean diamorphine to injecting addicts, it would allow people with neurological and other disease to ease their symptoms with standardised THC, it would allow people determined to get high to access what they want without risking their health they way they do now. Ketamine is what a lot of people choose to use when there isn't a lot of skunk around, or miaow-miaow - ketamine causes irreversible bladder damage (and plenty more) in people who use it regularly.

A bit of herb at a festival or on a weekend isn't going to do a lot of harm. Certainly no more than a bit of alcohol does.
But it is wrong to say cannabis is not harmful. It carries risks like everything else, and some of them are serious.

Thank you for, as ever, laying down the salient points. I can't decide whether or not I come down on the side of decriminalisation or legalisation, by the way. Legalisation has certain merits but also some drawbacks. But I'm veering towards legalisation . . . . .
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://may2015.com/featured/the-8-key-p ... or-labour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Delving into the Scottish polling figures.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

mikems wrote:You need to draw a distinction between the genetically modified skunk and unmodified cannabis if you are going to say it is harmful. The young lady questioning Ed Miliband made the point that, if it was decriminalised and regulated, access to skunk, which I am perfectly happy to accept is potentially harmful simply because it is modified to appear stronger, would be harder and regulation could assure the quality and purity of what was being sold.

In any case, the current situation is occurring under proscription, and it is hard to know what more can be done to prevent possible harm, since it is all already illegal. I mean, those who support continuing proscription must recognise that any harm is happening under their own policy, and it is happening now. Simply arguing that cannabis has potentially harmful effects is neither here or there, it seems to me, since people are going to continue using it whatever the law is.
My post about the cannabis being legal in California was meant to support the idea of decriminalising it here in the UK.

Ephemerid is right; it's not harmless. I didn't mean to suggest it was. The effects of criminalising it are bad news. I don't like it criminalised.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Free range Guardvarks - they got to come in for the night though. It gets cold.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Guardvarks for Freedom
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

StephenDolan wrote:http://may2015.com/featured/the-8-key-p ... or-labour/

http://may2015.com/featured/the-8-key-p ... or-labour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
6. “Vote SNP, get the Tories”?

Only one in four SNP voters thinks their party’s rise will make a Tory government more likely. Nearly half say voting SNP will make no difference to who forms a government.
Which implies that three in four SNP voters don't understand the voting system.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

mikems wrote:Also, on the point of cannabis and its illegality. It's illegality can be thought of as a class issue. Cannabis is mostly smoked by working people, and, since there is no rational explanation for its illegality, one has to presume that other reasons exist. One of them is almost certainly an urge to criminalise things that give enjoyment and relaxation to working people, especially if there is no profit for tories to be had from it. That's why the Mail is so anti-pot, imo.
I think a lot of it is racism, rather than a class issue - Marijuana was seen as a "black" drug in 20's America.
As an erstwhile user I think it's important to discriminate between the naturally grown "Red Lebs" of the 60's/70's & the hydroponically grown Skunk/Northern Lights around today - the amount of Delta-1 THC in the latter compared to the former is quite frightening & does seem to have a psychotic effect on some people
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

I don't subscribe to the frying brains theory, but.....

I have in my time dealt with two people who were consuming large amounts of the stuff. They both went from being bright switched on individuals, to rather slow people who didn't really know what day of the week it was and didn't care. The change was progressive but very obvious. I suspect if they stopped doing the stuff the damage would not be permanent.

So I wouldn't employ somebody doing the stuff (if I knew), but then again alcohol in excess causes huge problems.
One friend is a musician. He got so bad he couldn't remember the chords of a song from one minute to the next.
Mr Ohso used to come home so exasperated at him. He'd been smoking pot since his teens...At 72 he finally gave it up and within a few weeks the change was noticeable.

Another friend and one time workmate of Mr Ohso's. I'm sorry to be argumentative, but he has fried his brain. No other words for it.
He drives a grass cutting machine, and is about to lose his job, because he's just driven into the side of a house for the fourth time. A smashing guy he used to be really lively, but now when you talk to him there's an uncomfortable time lapse. He even blinks in slow motion. The company have given him chance after chance but he refuses to give it up. He's in his fifties.

I allow that it depends just how heavily you use it. But no-one will convince me that long term heavy use doesn't addle the brain to some extent.

It's a risk Mr Ohso and myself were never willing to take.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Devo-Manch
Under the new GMSF (Greater Manchester Spatial Framework) our local council has had to withdraw their own Core Strategy (on housing). GMSF will identify future housing needs for the whole AGMA (Association of Greater Manchester Authorities) area and have decided we need more houses than the provision under our own Core Strategy identified as necessary.
Will this mean overspill housing estates like we had in the 60's & 70's?

"Localism" eh? don't ya just love it. Take power away from communities, an tell um they have more.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Life in California & life the UK are different.
The living is easier sometimes in California.
Until you have appendicitis, get hit by a car, lose your job or reproduce.
Then you up a tree.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Devo-Manch
Under the new GMSF (Greater Manchester Spatial Framework) our local council has had to withdraw their own Core Strategy (on housing). GMSF will identify future housing needs for the whole AGMA (Association of Greater Manchester Authorities) area and have decided we need more houses than the provision under our own Core Strategy identified as necessary.

"Localism" eh? don't ya just love it. Take power away from communities, an tell um they have more.
Shameless (!)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:

Only one in four SNP voters thinks their party’s rise will make a Tory government more likely. Nearly half say voting SNP will make no difference to who forms a government.
Historically, Labour hasn't depended upon Scottish constituencies returning Labour MPs to get a majority government.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

mikems wrote:You need to draw a distinction between the genetically modified skunk and unmodified cannabis if you are going to say it is harmful. The young lady questioning Ed Miliband made the point that, if it was decriminalised and regulated, access to skunk, which I am perfectly happy to accept is potentially harmful simply because it is modified to appear stronger, would be harder and regulation could assure the quality and purity of what was being sold.

The difficulty with this - as with all other substances - is the vagaries of human physiology. Nobody knows how their bodies will react.

I am a recovering alcoholic. I will be 14 years sober on 21st.March. I have zero idea what alcohol would do to me now.
At my peak (or trough!) I put away at least one bottle of spirit a day; I drank anything else I could get my hands on too.
I survived with a bit of liver damage. I know people who drank a lot less who are dead from the effects.

Because alcohol is legal, it's a simple matter to work out how much someone is taking and what effect it has. It's measurable in terms of how it's sold, how it's imbibed, how it's blood levels and systemic effects can be tested - that's how the guidelines for safe use are estimated, and the same could/should be done with other drugs including cannabis.

The worldwide "war on drugs" has been going on for 50 years - it is estimated that the US alone spends more than £50 Billion annually on fighting a losing battle. It's a sinful waste of time and money, and it's not working.
Governments are missing a trick here - if cannabis alone were de-criminalised, even legalised, the savings would be massive. Home Office figures from 1999 (the latest I could find) show that this cost £350 Million - just for cannabis.
According to the BMA, the value of the illegal drug market in the UK is £4.6 Billion a year - the total spent on law enforcement, courts, probation, treatment, and associated costs is £4 Billion a year.
All that money could be better spent - and if drugs were legally available they could be retailed and taxed just as alcohol and nicotine are now.

People have found ways to get off their heads since time immemorial. It's just what people do. It makes sense to me to let them get on with it and stop criminalising it - because that's the only reason why there is so much violence associated with drugs.
In Portugal, where they have been doing this for some time, drugs are not legalised, their use is de-criminalised. Users are asked to attend a panel review in which they can opt for various things including treatment if they want it; there are options for addicts to have substitute meds or safe works if they continue to use. The panel does have the right to pursue prosecution in cases where there is obvious illegal dealing, but personal use is treated with common sense.
The result has been - a fall in rates of addiction, a fall in the incidence of HIV and other blood-borne diseases, a fall in A&E admissions, a fall in psychiatric admissions, a rise in the number of people accessing treatment, increased use of self-help user groups eg. NA.

What's not to like?

We should do this here. Then the weekend stoners can get on with themselves, the injecting addicts can have (at least) clean works, and the police can go chase paedophiles.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Well said, Ephemerid.
What do you want to bet Ed Miliband has done the maths too & came to the same conclusion?
How would the press treat him though?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ephemerid wrote:On cannabis - from someone who worked in the drug/alcohol field!

You should become an advisor to the next government!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

citizenJA wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:

Historically, Labour hasn't depended upon Scottish constituencies returning Labour MPs to get a majority government.
http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and- ... e-parties/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Current Seats

Conservative 302 (of which 1 is in Scotland)
Labour 256 (of which 41 in Scotland)
Liberal Democrat 56 (11 in Scotland)
Scottish National Party 6 out of a total of 59 in Scotland
Total number of seats 650

Yeah - the Nats BTL in the G kept coming up with this historical "justification" during the run up to the referendum. It made my head hurt (and still does) because history doesn't alter maths.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:

My post about the cannabis being legal in California was meant to support the idea of decriminalising it here in the UK.

Ephemerid is right; it's not harmless. I didn't mean to suggest it was. The effects of criminalising it are bad news. I don't like it criminalised.
The main problem with its criminalisation - to my mind - is that it drives supply underground into the hands of people who may well have no interest in the wellbeing of their buyers, and hence, anything can be passed off as good ol' common or garden dope. Beyond that, if there's a serious dealer involved, then he/she is likely to be able to supply waaay more dangerous substances than cannabis, which brings in further issues to consider.

Simply sweeping the issue under the carpet isn't an answer, but, I would say (or as Ed would say, I would say to you), it's not a pressing issue for the next couple of years. A scientific royal commission might be the answer - let it take all the evidence on various drugs and then enact based upon the findings. I'm fairly sure that most people would accept that, barring Express and Mail readers, but they can fuck off anyway.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian ‏@Mancman10 5 mins5 minutes ago Manchester, England
Today's Populus poll:
LAB 32
CON 29
UKIP 18
LDEM 8
GRN 6
"Tory Cross Over"

Apologies if we had this one earlier.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote: One friend is a musician. He got so bad he couldn't remember the chords of a song from one minute to the next.
And that, my friends, is how Hawkwind derived their legendary sound...

(joke!)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

The main problem with its criminalisation - to my mind - is that it drives supply underground into the hands of people who may well have no interest in the wellbeing of their buyers, and hence, anything can be passed off as good ol' common or garden dope. Beyond that, if there's a serious dealer involved, then he/she is likely to be able to supply waaay more dangerous substances than cannabis, which brings in further issues to consider.

Simply sweeping the issue under the carpet isn't an answer, but, I would say (or as Ed would say, I would say to you), it's not a pressing issue for the next couple of years. A scientific royal commission might be the answer - let it take all the evidence on various drugs and then enact based upon the findings. I'm fairly sure that most people would accept that, barring Express and Mail readers, but they can fuck off anyway.
I can see exactly the same thing happening with cannabis as is happening with cigarette smuggling which is a huge problem.
There'll always be someone who will undercut the official seller and won't care about the quality, and there'll always be people hard up enough to take a chance and buy from them.

Thankfully neither of my kids have bothered with cannabis or nicotine, and they don't drink much. At present my four grandchildren here in the UK aren't sampling any of the above either.

I'm quite relaxed about it being decriminalised but I can't see it would be acceptable in the workplace and behind the wheel. It would have to be treated pretty much as drinking is.
The smoking ban, and the laws against drinking and driving mean they are all criminalised to an extent.
If it came under the same banner and people were encouraged not to use it, just the same as nicotine and alcohol, I can't see a problem.

I get the feeling though that the users want to be left completely alone and wouldn't be happy with any interference.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 13 Mar, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:Devo-Manch

Re: the same matter - this plopped through my council email yesterday:

"Withdrawal of Bury Core Strategy

As you may be aware, the Council submitted the Bury Core Strategy to the Secretary of State for Examination in December 2013. However, after hearing evidence during Hearing Sessions, the appointed Inspector decided to suspend the Examination in June 2014. Since then a number of important changes have taken place that fundamentally affect the Core Strategy.

The main change relates to the decision by the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities (AGMA) to prepare the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework (GMSF) as a statutory development plan for the Greater Manchester area rather than as an informal, evidence-based document as was the original intention.

As a statutory plan, the GMSF will now become an integral part of each Greater Manchester district’s development plan and, as such, there needs to be consistency between the GMSF and district’s own local plans. This represents a marked change in the planning landscape for Greater Manchester and, as a result, most districts are now intending to prepare or update their local plans in parallel with work on the Framework.

Principally, the GMSF will identify future needs for housing and employment floorspace and associated infrastructure across Greater Manchester and will identify broad locations where this need should be accommodated. The GMSF’s approach towards the identification of future housing needs will be informed by the Government’s updated household projections. These updated projections have recently been released and indicate that Bury’s housing need is higher than what is being planned for in the Core Strategy.

As a result of the changing circumstances surrounding the GMSF and the updated household projections a decision was made by the Council’s Cabinet on 4 March 2015 to withdraw the Core Strategy under the provisions of Section 22 (1) of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended) which provides for a local planning authority to withdraw a local development document at any time up to its adoption.

This email is therefore giving you formal notice of the withdrawal of the Core Strategy in accordance with the requirements of Regulation 27 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012.

The Council will now commence work on the production of a new Local Plan to run alongside and complement the work being undertaken at the Greater Manchester level. This work will consider what the appropriate level of housing growth will be for the sub-region and for Bury."

So, yes, our local self determination is thereby reduced - although don't forget that if the government inspector doesn't like an authority's plan (and he didn't, ours) then it may well be out of local hands anyway and into the hands of housing developers and their chums in government.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Waving hello to our newest member Swarthlander.

Great avatar, a reminder that differences need not be an obstacle to friendship.
Just wish I could remember that when the red mists take over.
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

citizenJA wrote:Life in California & life the UK are different.
Then you up a tree.
Good afternoon All........

CJA - There is I am sure a song to be made out of those four lines.

I will naturally attribute your good self as the inspiration behind it should it make my fame and fortune :D :D
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Confession time. No not that, all in due course.

Something else.

I have two bathrooms. Please don't hold it against me.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

discordantharmony wrote:
Then you up a tree.

I will naturally attribute your good self as the inspiration behind it should it make my fame and fortune :D :D

<rings Don Henly and the Eagles: "Boys? I've got a job for you. No, better than that. How about something that'll make Hotel California sound like The Birdy Song?">
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Confession time. No not that, all in due course.

Something else.

Only two? Peasant! Or do you make up for your shortcomings in the ablutions department by what you have behind the green baize door?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PorFavor wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Confession time. No not that, all in due course.

Something else.

Only two? Peasant! Or do you make up for your shortcomings in the ablutions department by what you have behind the green baize door?
No don't spoil it you! My great grandparents dug a hole down the bottom of the garden.

I thought I was doing well, progress I think its called?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
discordantharmony wrote:
Then you up a tree.

<rings Don Henly and the Eagles: "Boys? I've got a job for you. No, better than that. How about something that'll make Hotel California sound like The Birdy Song?">
Closest they ever came to that was Long Road Out of Eden.

One of my bigger disappointments was listening to a bootleg of a latter day Eagles concert and discovering it sounded far too Radio 2. That and discovering Muse have no clue how to play live.
Release the Guardvarks.