Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th March

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th March

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Morning

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
in the Independent:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 07905.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Game of Cuts - no great script, but the message is clear. Needs dissemination.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th March

Post by tinyclanger2 »

kitchengate wrote:"It's a bit rich lecturing people about poverty from his 2 million pound mansion."
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-leader ... ml#O8lPPq7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The point our international embarrassment of a media appear to have overlooked in their sad puerile glee, is that unlike the Tories Miliband is lecturing against poverty not for it.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Morning

in the Independent:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 07905.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can already see the spin against the message of this video.

"If you don't have any money then how come you could waste some of it on creating a spoof of Game Of Thrones?"
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

in the Independent:

Just shared this on Google+

It's very well done! I'll be interested to hear thoughts from Ernst, as this is the first time I remember hearing of SIGOMA.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

http://qz.com/360265/a-run-down-welsh-c ... the-tides/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

UKIP leader Nigel Farage: 'NHS almost killed me' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31883683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mad:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

http://qz.com/360265/a-run-down-welsh-c ... the-tides/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit unfair on Swansea that article, true it has it's ugly parts, what city doesn't, but there's massive investment going on there, multi million redevelopment plans were approved in January, the civic centre, in a prime location, right next to the beach is being sold, the council is on its arse, so unfortunately that makes sense.. Also, there's a 450 million new university campus near completion..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-22454471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

StephenDolan wrote:UKIP leader Nigel Farage: 'NHS almost killed me'
Damn NHS! 'Almost' isn't good enough.

Good morning. :D
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

StephenDolan wrote:UKIP leader Nigel Farage: 'NHS almost killed me' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31883683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nigel has only got one ball? We know a song about that, don't we boys and girls?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Anyone seen Putin?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Anyone seen Putin?
Found him:
[youtube]w3-V_82VwQQ[/youtube]

giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Morning all.
So excited to be at the ICC with the Labour Party today waiting with baited breath to see/hear Ed Miliband.

Having sat for last 30 min right next to Tristan, Gloria and Liam I have no doubts if Labour get in that Next Generation will have chances.

Sitting with Andy and Lord Phil on the NHS desk now.

Already met Chuck a Umanna.

The Flints are here too - just moving towards door to ensure prime spot for Ed now.

Hope!
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

giselle97 wrote:Morning all.
So excited to be at the ICC with the Labour Party today waiting with baited breath to see/hear Ed Miliband.

Having sat for last 30 min right next to Tristan, Gloria and Liam I have no doubts if Labour get in that Next Generation will have chances.

The Flints are here too - just moving towards door to ensure prime spot for Ed now.

Hope!
Great :dance:

I was just about to ask whether any FTNers were at the Spring Rally! Joining you in Hope – and spirit :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Spacedone wrote:

in the Independent:

I can already see the spin against the message of this video.

"If you don't have any money then how come you could waste some of it on creating a spoof of Game Of Thrones?"
Agreed - but don't give them ideas!
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

I think Citizen is here as well but don't know how to find her!
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@giselle

If you see him, tell Ed I'm not exactly chuffed with the pledge card.

What about raising living standard for us non-working people too ?!!

2) For the pedants, amend the 'freeze' to say 'cap'

5) Mention the increase in maintenance grant !!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

What if someone moves to the UK for a job, moves their family here and then - after say a year loses said job through, let's say a restructuring because the company has been sold to a venture capitalist who isn't remotely interested in anything but stripping assets, reducing costs and selling the company on for a massive profit. Can someone who moved here specially for such a job not get benefits?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

tinyclanger2 wrote:What if someone moves to the UK for a job, moves their family here and then - after say a year loses said job through, let's say a restructuring because the company has been sold to a venture capitalist who isn't remotely interested in anything but stripping assets, reducing costs and selling the company on for a massive profit. Can someone who moved here specially for such a job not get benefits?
...and if that person is from an EU country, are they not entitled to the benefits they would have got if they hadn't moved?
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

The CNBC reporter interviewing 2 ladies who were undoubted fans of Ed has just said "I know you're a fan of Ed Miliband but one day can you see Yvette Cooper as leader". I crossed myself in front of him and walked away shaking my head, (he saw me do so!) not wanting to hear the answer! Was that an Agenda or what???
Last edited by giselle97 on Sat 14 Mar, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:Morning all.

Hope!
How fantastic. A day to remember....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:The CNBC reporter interviewing 2 ladies who were undoubted fans of Ed has just said "I know you're a fan of Ed Miliband but one day can you see Yvette Cooper as leader". I crossed myself in front of him and walked away shaking my head, (he saw me do so!) not wanting to hear the answer! Was that an Agenda or what???
The reporter was from CNBC. Hopefully after he's finished asking inane questions he'll see for himself that Ed is worth a thousand of Cameron and the word will be spread abroad...

I'm also writing this in Hope...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I expect those of you on twitter already follow Martin Rowson, he's laying into Vine this morning. Warning - strong language. :D

Someone can link it here?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:What if someone moves to the UK for a job, moves their family here and then - after say a year loses said job through, let's say a restructuring because the company has been sold to a venture capitalist who isn't remotely interested in anything but stripping assets, reducing costs and selling the company on for a massive profit. Can someone who moved here specially for such a job not get benefits?
I'm not particularly happy about that one myself. Maybe if it was just in-work benefits like housing benefit and tax credits? That would seem fair enough. Or maybe they can't claim those already. See - that's the big problem with welfare, most people don't know what applies at the moment so can't make informed judgements about any proposed changes.

On a brighter note our local PPC for Labour Todd Foreman, who's going up against Rees-Mogg, did quite well in the local paper this week when all the candidates set out their stall:
Our historic industries are long gone, and my top priority will be to work with businesses and government to attract new jobs to the area and to support the employers that are already here. We need to carefully manage development to preserve local green spaces as much as possible.

Read more: http://www.somersetguardian.co.uk/North ... z3UMC1rvDK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow us: @SomGuardian on Twitter | SomGuardian on Facebook
He was the only one to mention jobs at all and I think he'll really strike a cord with this. One of the biggest issues locally is the continued exodus of large, factory based employers to areas with better road networks. Rees-Mogg struggled to say anything relevant about the local area at all, waffling something about opposing a return of "Avon". Not sure what he means. Numpty! I'm afraid to say the Green candidate isn't very strong at all. A Bath university student, her only pitch is anti-fracking. I have great sympathy for the Green cause, but it's clearly still a very small party with only limited scope to challenge in most areas. I don't see them taking many votes from Labour here, but she could pinch a few from the Libdems whose candidate is not as strong as in 2010, when they ran with a well known local councillor.

Like everywhere, it's very unpredictable what may happen, there are some strong Labour supporting areas which will ensure Todd Foreman does respectably well, but whether he can topple Rees-Moggy I just can't tell. The suspense is starting to take it's toll!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

pk1 wrote:
What about raising living standard for us non-working people too ?!!
I have the same misgivings about all this faux guff from the main Parties about hardworking families/taxpayers and get a little frustrated with it. :roll:

I am a taxpayer but certainly don't consider myself as 'hardworking'.
I do not have a family unless you count my dogs.

So... this rhetoric isn't aimed at people like me.
It comes across - If you don't have a 'family' and don't 'work hard' even if you pay your taxes - you don't count? :shock:

I'm being mischeivious but such rhetoric can be annoying. ;) :P
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Morning all. No fewer than four articles in the Torygraph today about Ed's kitchen. Good to see our magnificent free press, unencumbered by Leveson, concentrating on the real issues. :toss:

Any Questions last night decided they didn't need a Labour person and had Phil Redmond instead. Who chooses who goes on these programmes? If it's the BBC then this is bias. If it's the Labour Party they need to sack the person responsible. The only party Redmond attacked was the Labour Party. :wall:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Not very inspiring, that pledge card. I desperately want Labour to win this election but I hope there's going to be more on offer than that.

1. Sound just like the Tories
2. As pk1 said, what about non working people, or single people, or the half the country that doesn't fit into the "hard working families" that I'm so sick to death of hearing about. What would have been wrong with "Higher Living Standards for All"
3. What does that even mean? The idea that people working in the NHS don't have the time to care now is a bit offensive really, in my experience they bust a gut trying to make resources stretch because they DO care. I understand what they're trying to say but its really clumsy wording.
4. It's depressing that Labour has to even think about putting that on a pledge card, and as stated above, how will it work in practice?
5. I like that one. That's inspiring, hopeful and positive. That reminds me of the Ed Miliband of old.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

StephenDolan wrote:UKIP leader Nigel Farage: 'NHS almost killed me' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31883683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So nothing to do with the pilot and/or the overuse of fags & booze then Nige?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tish wrote:Not very inspiring, that pledge card. I desperately want Labour to win this election but I hope there's going to be more on offer than that.

1. Sound just like the Tories
2. As pk1 said, what about non working people, or single people, or the half the country that doesn't fit into the "hard working families" that I'm so sick to death of hearing about. What would have been wrong with "Higher Living Standards for All"
3. What does that even mean? The idea that people working in the NHS don't have the time to care now is a bit offensive really, in my experience they bust a gut trying to make resources stretch because they DO care. I understand what they're trying to say but its really clumsy wording.
4. It's depressing that Labour has to even think about putting that on a pledge card, and as stated above, how will it work in practice?
5. I like that one. That's inspiring, hopeful and positive. That reminds me of the Ed Miliband of old.
Yes ! It's like the "A country for the many, not just the few" that I found so inspiring & all-encompassing a couple of years ago.

I must confess I'm beginning to have doubts of seeing a Labour government on May 8th :cry: :cry: :cry:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Farage is talking about something that happened in 1985. Hardly relevant to today.

In fact it was when the party he supported at the time was in power...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Nothing to do with politics but... been there, done that, and will be there again, and again.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 07172.html

Good article. Where's me 'anky. :cry:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Message from Paddy to his party:

We're stuffed lads !

Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Interesting take on the positions of the Sun & Scottish Sun with regard to the Murdoch agenda:
The most striking, if slightly grotesque, political image of the week must be credited to the Sun newspaper, owned and directed by Alex Salmond’s publisher of choice, Mr Rupert Murdoch.
It depicted Scotland’s First Minister clad in tartan bikini, swinging from a chain attached to a large steel ball. It was not a flattering representation of Nicola Sturgeon but she will not be complaining as it accorded precisely with her own immediate political strategy.
Sadly, readers of the Sun’s Scottish edition were not invited to feast their eyes upon this portrayal. If they had been, even the most naïve might have noticed the contrasting approach across the Sun’s two editions and how, taken in tandem, they coincide with the interests of Nationalists and Tories with one common enemy.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/brian-wils ... -1-3718741
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Vince Cable's obviously been at the gin, he still expects to be in the government after the election but he's determined not to let the SNP join him in his fantasy cabinet.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... onceivable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know nobody on here thinks much of the SNP, but if Labour do end up with the choice of either them or the LibDems as coallition partners, which do you think would be the least worst option?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Noticed a few Sky political journos having a good ol' laugh about Ed 'two kitchens' Miliband last night. For some reason they didn't seem to enjoy my own contribution of "British 'death of any real political analysis' Journalism". How odd...
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tish wrote:Vince Cable's obviously been at the gin, he still expects to be in the government after the election but he's determined not to let the SNP join him in his fantasy cabinet.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... onceivable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know nobody on here thinks much of the SNP, but if Labour do end up with the choice of either them or the LibDems as coallition partners, which do you think would be the least worst option?
Difficult question - but the LibDems are more likely to roll over and do as they're told. To paraphrase Groucho Marx - They have their principles, and if you don't like them... well, they have others.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tish wrote:Vince Cable's obviously been at the gin, he still expects to be in the government after the election but he's determined not to let the SNP join him in his fantasy cabinet.

What a horrible question! You're just being mean. I refuse to even think about it. Labour landslide. (Although if they do end up with a minority government, the DUP are looking quite helpful on issues such as repealing the bedroom tax. How weird is that?)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

I don't have issues with the SNP, just with some of their newer supporters who choose to paint them as something they are not; it isn't Salmond or Sturgeon who claim SNP=Scotland and therefore anybody dissing the Party is an anti-Scottish traitor ..... mind you, they don't exactly speak out against that notion.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ed Miliband speaking (BBC News24). Good stuff. I think he (and we) could have managed without the pledge card. Too proscriptive. Or perhaps a one-liner (rather in the way that Clause 4 was)?

Edited to add -

I edited it in the first place to insert a space. I blame the brackets.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 14 Mar, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Willow904 wrote:(Although if they do end up with a minority government, the DUP are looking quite helpful on issues such as repealing the bedroom tax. How weird is that?)
The DUP are also demanding an EU referendum though.

They appear to have a bad case of 'LibDemism' - the state of looking both ways at the same time.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Clegg using balloons to demonstrate what happened to their principles:

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:(Although if they do end up with a minority government, the DUP are looking quite helpful on issues such as repealing the bedroom tax. How weird is that?)

They appear to have a bad case of 'LibDemism' - the state of looking both ways at the same time.
Good point. I'd forgotten about that.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Swarthlander wrote:Nothing to do with politics but... been there, done that, and will be there again, and again.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 07172.html

Good article. Where's me 'anky. :cry:

Sorry. Can't read it...Although we lost the last of our three dogs thirteen years ago, it's still too raw....
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Eric_WLothian wrote:

Difficult question - but the LibDems are more likely to roll over and do as they're told. To paraphrase Groucho Marx - They have their principles, and if you don't like them... well, they have others.
This.
Also,SNP are not demonstrably interested in the good of the uk,they will make constant demands to benefit Scotland regardless of the needs of poorer regions.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Gawd blimey! Sorry -

Good morfternoon.

Shocking bad form, what? Put it down to mental confusion caused by not knowing which wing of the house I was in.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Eric_WLothian wrote:

That's kind of what I was thinking, although it would stick in the craw to see them still swanning about in government they'd probably be much easier to manage than the SNP, who I'msure will be much tougher negotiators. If Clegg and Aexander both get the chop the Libs left will be desperate to reinvent themselves as a party of the left again, so they probably won't interfere with any kind of social policy. To be honest, its difficult to see what the LibDems would actually want in a coallition with Labour, do they actually have any policies this time?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

pk1 wrote:

That's why I said if Labour formed a minority government! I'm thinking what things Labour could get some additional support on. As far as coalition goes, I think another would be very bad for our country, whoever forms it. We need PR if we're going to have effective coalition government and a whole reform of how government works to accommodate it. If we have another hung parliament, constitutional reform will become a priority. If Cameron remains in charge without a majority I think we could be headed for a real crisis as he lacks basic negotiating skills. If Cameron wins a majority at least the country will be destroyed by majority choice, rather than a side effect of an antiquated and no longer fit for purpose democratic system.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Spacedone wrote:Noticed a few Sky political journos having a good ol' laugh about Ed 'two kitchens' Miliband last night. For some reason they didn't seem to enjoy my own contribution of "British 'death of any real political analysis' Journalism". How odd...
I've been trying for the last few days to find the nearest words to describe what most of our press have become and it's spiteful, untalented scandalmongers'. :evil:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tish wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:

That's kind of what I was thinking, although it would stick in the craw to see them still swanning about in government they'd probably be much easier to manage than the SNP, who I'msure will be much tougher negotiators. If Clegg and Aexander both get the chop the Libs left will be desperate to reinvent themselves as a party of the left again, so they probably won't interfere with any kind of social policy. To be honest, its difficult to see what the LibDems would actually want in a coallition with Labour, do they actually have any policies this time?
Judging by their conference this morning their policy is to splash the cash on benefit recipients and the NHS. Perhaps Clegg has forgotten he supports austerity again, just like he did in the run up to the last election.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Willow904 wrote:

What a horrible question! You're just being mean. I refuse to even think about it. Labour landslide. (Although if they do end up with a minority government, the DUP are looking quite helpful on issues such as repealing the bedroom tax. How weird is that?)
:D Sorry! I do still think Labour will get a majority, but its always best to have a backup plan!