Monday 16th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 16th March 2015

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Dead important this, vote for the national bird of Britain.

Torn between a blackbird, lovely song, red kite, see them while out in the garden, kingfisher, always a delight, though only see a flash of azure blue, or a robin, who always puts a smile on my chops.

Decisions, decisions.

http://www.votenationalbird.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I voted for Blackbird, my choice in the first round as well :)
After hand wringing of Simon Hughes proportions I went for the Kite, spend a lovely half hour on a side of a road, near Aberystwyth last year, watched 7 or 8 of them swirling about, lovely, so that swayed it.
You're right - I can't choose just one.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Dead important this, vote for the national bird of Britain.

Torn between a blackbird, lovely song, red kite, see them while out in the garden, kingfisher, always a delight, though only see a flash of azure blue, or a robin, who always puts a smile on my chops.

Decisions, decisions.

I voted for Blackbird, my choice in the first round as well :)
Blackbirds every time for me.

Hubby thinks I'm mad when I asked him to fence off a piece of the garden where the blackbirds seem to duck in out of our hedge so the dogs can't eat the raisins I buy purely for the blackbirds.... ;)
FuriousGeorge
Backbencher

Post by FuriousGeorge »

A nice story about Grant/Michael/Sebastian.

https://adrianshort.org/the-quest-for-g ... anuscript/
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

AngryAsWell wrote:"London Tory MP tells backers: 'Don't mention David Cameron' in letters of support"
A Tory MP in a key London marginal seat has told backers not to “mention the Conservative Party or David Cameron” in letters of support.
Croydon Central MP Gavin Barwell made the plea when he asked local people to sign letters to friends and neighbours endorsing his re-election.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 10723.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He better hope Shapps stays away too.

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_ ... donCentral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
frightful_oik wrote: Is that a new poll or the ST one Stephen?
It is yesterday's Sunday Times poll. However you cut it that London figure is not credible, Yougov have finally sacrificed the right to be taken seriously.
That is harsh on YouGov.

Rule one of polling is you cannot split up bits of a poll and claim it tells you much about the thing you are looking at. Over the whole poll sampling errors will largely cancel each other out, but within a small sample they may be huge. Remember when arch muppet Harris played this game to "show" Tories were ahead with young people?

The only way to know how London is going to vote is to poll it, which YouGov have done. The London poll showed a decent Labour lead.
Harsh? We've had polls which show the Tories ahead amongst young voters, polls which showed them leading in the North, this poll showing them neck & neck in London; I get your point about sampling errors, but there seem to have been a lot of 'errors' creeping into the Yougov polling of late, and that is even before you look at the consistent downweighting of left wing newspaper readers and upweighting of right wing readers. The old saying goes "He who pays the piper calls the tune", I'm simply suggesting that Peter Kellner seems all too willing to play requests these days.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks for the Kitty Jones blog link.

Spot on blogging about 'narxism'.
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 16 Mar, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

frightful_oik wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Yes - I've been moaning about it here for a little while. I've counted six different ads but there may be more. Do you have a running total?
No, I should have made a note, but I can think of Pensionwise, Help to Buy, Automatic enrolment - not only things the coalition has introduced, but are strongly associated with the coalition (especially the Tories).
Pensionwise
Help to Buy
Automatic enrolment
I'll see those and raise you
Superfast Broadband
We're cracking down on Tax Dodgers

edited to add: Good morning each.
They've also got one on switching energy companies. The still-frame at the end has the HMGovernment logo in the bottom left corner and BeAnEnergyShopper.com at bottom right which routes directly to http://www.goenergyshopping.co.uk/en-gb/power-to-switch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which, itself, has the Ofgen copyright at the foot of page.

Heavens only know if you'd be shunted onto another site if you clicked any of the links there, or simply get given a list of comparison websites. But if it's Ofgen acting as a direct coordinator of switches then it should be an Ofgen ad with the Ofgen logo and their own goenergyshopping url, not plugging the government and making it look like they're doing all this wonderful stuff for you like re-badging things to make themselves look like oh you know the rest ;)

Edit: Ofgen not Ofgem...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: I voted for Blackbird, my choice in the first round as well :)
After hand wringing of Simon Hughes proportions I went for the Kite, spend a lovely half hour on a side of a road, near Aberystwyth last year, watched 7 or 8 of them swirling about, lovely, so that swayed it.
You're right - I can't choose just one.
{{Hugs}} CJA nice to see you and hope thing are a bit brighter today :)

:hug:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Text of letter from Labour MP Lucy Powell to David Cameron, asking about Shapps.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1137814 ... e-minister" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

With a hat tip to OneButton over on AS blog
"Tim Ireland
‏@bloggerheads
Dear @grantshapps, why is http://auctiongirl.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; registered to 'a Non-UK Individual' when it's run by your wife Belinda and sister Marla?"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

May2015 retweeted
Jason Beattie ‏@JBeattieMirror · 1m1 minute ago
More Ed Miliband: "There will be no SNP ministers in any government I lead."

Not sure where he got this from - any clues?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Ed M has stated
Labour will not go into coalition government with the SNP & there will be no SNP ministers in any government I lead.
The quote is verbatim.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

More from Beattie...(actually the first tweet before the other one)
Jason Beattie @JBeattieMirror
· 4m 4 minutes ago
Ed Miliband: "Labour will not go into coalition government with the SNP."
Finally ruled out
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:May2015 retweeted

It was at a peoples QT in Leeds & was televised live on Sky.

Of course, Joey Jones then trotted out the 'not the end of the question/what about a C&S arrangement' tory attack line :toss:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:May2015 retweeted

It was at a peoples QT in Leeds & was televised live on Sky.

Of course, Joey Jones then trotted out the 'not the end of the question/what about a C&S arrangement' tory attack line :toss:
Thanks just reading it on AS blog now..
FuriousGeorge
Backbencher

Post by FuriousGeorge »

AngryAsWell wrote:More from Beattie...(actually the first tweet before the other one)
Jason Beattie @JBeattieMirror
· 4m 4 minutes ago
Ed Miliband: "Labour will not go into coalition government with the SNP."
Finally ruled out
Although doesnt rule out a supply and demand agreement. Which I dont think would be the worst thing ever.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Breaking News

Posted at 13:21
Ed Miliband says Labour will not go into coalition government with the SNP. "There will be no SNP ministers in any government I lead," he adds.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-31878269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@bbclaurak

tweets: Difficulty for Ed M is that no-one really talking about an actual coalition btw the 2, he can't/hasn't/won't rule out relying on SNP support
No Laura, a coalition with the SNP is ALL you & your tory pals has gone on about for weeks ! :wall:
Last edited by pk1 on Mon 16 Mar, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:Ed M has stated
Labour will not go into coalition government with the SNP & there will be no SNP ministers in any government I lead.
The quote is verbatim.
Norman Smith currently doing his best to diminish the practical validity of this statement. I think in his world, passing the sugar bowl to an SNP MP counts as some form of coalition.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Nicola Sturgeon: As long as there are more anti-Tory MPs in the next Parliament than Tory MPs, whether they be Labour, SNP, Greens, Plaid Cymru or anyone else, that's a result I'll be happy with. (As verbatim as poss from Sky News just now.)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Re. government ads on the telly......loads. Plus the phone calls.
We get 3 a week on the government's energy saving policy, and we've had a couple on other things.
It must be costing a fortune.

Re. Birds - herons are my favourite, but there's no chance of that.
So it has to be barn owls.

Re. Shapps - nasty little spiv. That is all.

Re. SNP - Sturgeon ruled out coalition. She has expressed a willingness to consider a confidence-and supply arrangement. NB. "consider".
Ed never ever said he intended to go into coalition. He has always said he is aiming for a majority.

The Tory spin machine is in overdrive now, and after the kitchen nonsense, we can expect worse.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

LadyCentauria wrote:Nicola Sturgeon: As long as there are more anti-Tory MPs in the next Parliament than Tory MPs, whether they be Labour, SNP, Greens, Plaid Cymru or anyone else, that's a result I'll be happy with. (As verbatim as poss from Sky News just now.)
Classy line from Sturgeon that. Basically tells the press SNP will work to block a Tory government with whoever can form a non Tory government.

Whether they will or not, who knows.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Off for a lie-down and a nap, methinks. I may be gone for some time...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

OT but wow !
This spectacular picture shows the 'fluke' moment a fireball meteor was pictured soaring over the Loch Ness last night.

Gobsmacked John Macdonald, 42, went for a walk at 9pm when he snapped the rare sight lighting up the sky.

The meteor was so bright it would have terrified Nessie and even caused panicked locals to phone the coastguard after mistaking it for a distress flare.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Ben Bradshaw ‏@BenPBradshaw 43s44 seconds ago
The @guardian lawyers might like to listen to #wato intereview with Tory MP Stewart Jackson trying to defend truthfulness of Shapps
:?: :?:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Stewart Jackson. Deary me, just caught him on wato. It does Shapps no favours having faux outrage against Labour, the BBC and the Guardian.
Last edited by StephenDolan on Mon 16 Mar, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

There is a very good article about cruelty here - dailyrecord.co.uk/real-life/john-niven-cruelty-jobcentre-numbers

Plus a picture of IDS driving a beautiful vintage Bentley.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tony Blair labelled a 'standing joke' with 'no credibility' amid rumours he will step down from his role as envoy to the Middle Eastern [sic] (you'll have to complete the header for yourselves) Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 10612.html
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

There's a new Welsh Goverment scheme starting in April to helicopter NHS consultants for 'pre-hospital' care.

Developed ''using the latest evidence from military and civilian services from across the world.''
it will use NHS doctors drawn from emergency medicine, anaesthesia and intensive care and critical care practitioners from a range of advanced nursing and paramedic backgrounds.''

Called Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service (EMRTS) Cymru, it'll be the first of its kind in the UK.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/healt ... ed-8844131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:
Tony Blair labelled a 'standing joke' with 'no credibility' amid rumours he will step down from his role as envoy to the Middle Eastern [sic] (you'll have to complete the header for yourselves) Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 10612.html

Something for the Narxists.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ yahyah

Where do you do your attack dog training? I hope you're not slaving for Houndland.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Ladbrokes updated odds:

tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Decisions, decisions.

I went for Mute Swan,
Would have gone for Great Crested Grebe, if in final,
or possibly Starlings for attitude.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I like this headline from the Huffington Post:
Ed Miliband Rules Out SNP Coalition That Was Never Going To Happen Anyway
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03 ... mg00000067
Sounds like someone's getting a bit fed up of Tory spin and anti-Labour ploys! Can we just get on with debating the issues? Um....well, no, because Cameron ran away home with the ball. Is it just me or are things starting to swing Labour's way, just the tinniest bit? Surely the Tories can't go much longer without a good week ahead in the polls without starting to panic?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Willow904 wrote:I like this headline from the Huffington Post:
Ed Miliband Rules Out SNP Coalition That Was Never Going To Happen Anyway
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03 ... mg00000067
Sounds like someone's getting a bit fed up of Tory spin and anti-Labour ploys! Can we just get on with debating the issues? Um....well, no, because Cameron ran away home with the ball. Is it just me or are things starting to swing Labour's way, just the tinniest bit? Surely the Tories can't go much longer without a good week ahead in the polls without starting to panic?
They've got Peter Kellner's analysis to cling to (Labour 31%, Tories 36% at the GE).

I'm thinking this statement from Miliband is targeted at Scottish Labour voters, not English voters. The "No SNP ministers" line is very interesting.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

The Conservative party says Ed Miliband’s statement ruling out a coalition with the SNP “changes nothing” because he has not ruled a less formal pact. This is from a party spokesman.
This changes nothing. Ed Miliband will not rule out a deal with the SNP because he knows it’s impossible to become prime minister without being carried into Downing Street in Alex Salmond’s pocket.

There have been over 1,200 votes in this Parliament. Vote by vote, bill by bill, issue by issue, Ed Miliband would have to do a deal with the SNP on each and every one of them.

Who knows what Ed Miliband will sell out to Alex Salmond on: more borrowing, more debt, higher taxes or weaker defences. But one thing’s for certain: it’s hardworking taxpayers who will pay the price for this chaos.
Cons talking shit - what a huge surprise.... :roll:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Anyone know about Kate Parminter ? A Clegg-ite presumably.
The Lib Dems have just appointed her to their post-election negotiating team.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/kate-parmint ... ent-342646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:With a hat tip to OneButton over on AS blog
"Tim Ireland
‏@bloggerheads
Dear @grantshapps, why is http://auctiongirl.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; registered to 'a Non-UK Individual' when it's run by your wife Belinda and sister Marla?"

This is hilarious....In plain old fashioned English, Grant Shapp's wife and sister in law are second hand dealers. Or if you want to be posh: dealers in second hand goods.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:Anyone know about Kate Parminter ? A Clegg-ite presumably.
The Lib Dems have just appointed her to their post-election negotiating team.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/kate-parmint ... ent-342646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never heard of her but her twitter feed suggests she isn't the most engaging of people.

Since July 2012, she has sent 123 tweets & follows just 7 people, not even Clegg.

https://twitter.com/kateparminter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:With a hat tip to OneButton over on AS blog
"Tim Ireland
‏@bloggerheads

This is hilarious....In plain old fashioned English, Grant Shapp's wife and sister in law are second hand dealers. Or if you want to be posh: dealers in second hand goods.
One hour after TI tweeted about that, he followed up with:
Tim Ireland @bloggerheads · 2h 2 hours ago
Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear. I've just caught Mr Shapps out in an entirely different lie about an entirely different site. Article to follow.
Tim Ireland @bloggerheads · 2h 2 hours ago
This one's really going to sting: it's a dreadful betrayal of the trust of his constituents.
Wish he would bloody hurry up !
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinybgoat wrote:

Decisions, decisions.

I went for Mute Swan,
Would have gone for Great Crested Grebe, if in final,
or possibly Starlings for attitude.
I'd have to choose the Robin. There can't be a corner of the world that hasn't seen a Christmas card with snow and a Robin....
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Newcastle residents going hungry to pay bedroom tax.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/north-east- ... =Untitled3
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I can't understand the sudden fuss about Shapps/Green/Fox. There was some comment from the press about it a few years ago when the Google accusations were made but nothing much happened. Plus photos of him posing as Green at a Tory Conference.

I've maintained for a long time he lives in a parallel world. He tells such obvious lies on Twitter they bear no relation to reality.
Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

Is Grant Shapps Right Honourable or only Honourable?

Red kite for me.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The BBC will be demanding next that Labour changes its policies in the event of the SNP agreeing with them as they stand. It's beginning to seem hysterical and illogical. I hope it proves counterproductive for the Conservatives. I thought Jim Murphy did very well in his interview. Keeping his head when all around him the BBC was losing theirs.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tonibel wrote:Is Grant Shapps Right Honourable or only Honourable?

Red kite for me.
Right Honorable

http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and- ... overnment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Red Kite for me.
He's neither. He's a innocent, boyish faced, compulsive lair.

And strange to think Red Kites sat on rooftops and thrived in Elizabethan London. Being carrion eaters, the uncleaned streets were a perfect feeding ground for them.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

pk1 wrote:

Red kite for me.
Right Honorable

http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and- ... overnment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's as maybe,but the right honorable is a right dishonorable fucker.
I can't choose between robin,blackbird or owl,so vote for a winged coalition.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

May2015 ‏@May2015NS 1 hr1 hour ago

Electoral Calculus says LAB set for a 55-seat lead—but says LAB lead 2% in polls & doesn't incl Ashcroft. We don't track EC on May2015…(1/2)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:The BBC will be demanding next that Labour changes its policies in the event of the SNP agreeing with them as they stand. It's beginning to seem hysterical and illogical. I hope it proves counterproductive for the Conservatives. I thought Jim Murphy did very well in his interview. Keeping his head when all around him the BBC was losing theirs.
I thought he did well too. Of course, I'm not Scottish and listening from the south west. He probably sounded 'Tory-lite' north of the border.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'm just down the road from a Red Kite feeding station.
Sometimes get 20 or 30 over the fields.
Don't like the way they are watching the new lambs at the moment though.