Thursday 11th September 2014.

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Thursday 11th September 2014.

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Eric_WLothian wrote:This would really shake up Holyrood and re-energise the Labour party in Scotland:
Gordon Brown has suggested that he could stand for election in the Scottish Parliament if Alex Salmond continues to “peddle lies” about the NHS.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... n-NHS.html

Keep lying, Alex :D

And the Scotsman has nailed its colours to the mast (not that there was much doubt):

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland-s ... -1-3537857
The biggest threat to Scotland's NHS is independence.
Ouch!

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... redded-ifs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Hah! Thought there was something queer going on, you don't normally hear clapping and applause during press conferences..

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09 ... 04192.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Prison suicides rise by 64% in a year
Call for overhaul of prevention procedures in English and Welsh jails after 'troubling' surge in self-inflicted deaths (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... -ombudsman

The article is quite a shocker, really. It covers other matters than suicides.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 31m
Foreign secretary. "Britain will not be taking part in any air strikes in Syria".
No.10: "The PM has not ruled anything out." Whoops.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Evening all. Still wondering if I was having a hallucination or still in the grips of a nightmare this morning when I thought I heard someone on Radio 4 describe David Cameron's tone in his appeal to the people of Scotland as 'breathy' and 'emotional' - like talking to a lover - and that he was almost weeping by the end...

Put me right off my breakfast - and I imagine it would have done for many many residents in Scotland - and that's the problem.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Retweeted by Iain Martin
Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 11m
FM Salmond writes to PM and the Cabinet Secretary "your Treasury has been involved in trying to destabilise financial services in Scotland"

Oh FFS.

Apparently the Treasury line is that they were responding to questions posed by journalists.

This is getting all too much. Will be glad when voting day is upon us. Then we'll just have the fall out to contend with.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Hah! Thought there was something queer going on, you don't normally hear clapping and applause during press conferences..

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09 ... 04192.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It sounds as though it was a very pre planned event ... and rather like the last televised debate with the clearly spiky questions for Darling and loud applause for every comment by Salmond.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Retweeted by Iain Martin
FM Salmond writes to PM and the Cabinet Secretary "your Treasury has been involved in trying to destabilise financial services in Scotland"

Oh FFS.

Apparently the Treasury line is that they were responding to questions posed by journalists.

This is getting all too much. Will be glad when voting day is upon us. Then we'll just have the fall out to contend with.
Another week RR, another week, then as you said, the fall out.

Iain Martin:
Salmond has flipped. Man trying to break up country writes to U.K Govt accusing it of causing market instability.
Excuse me while I PMSL.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Been with a client this afternoon who has a house in Scotland where his partner still lives (he's returned to Wales look after his very frail mum) and where he was back for a visit until a few days ago. He reports increasing bad feeling and intimidation creeping into everyday encounters - and says his partner is getting quite upset and anxious about it. She intends to vote YES - he - if he were living there at present - would be voting NO but says he will support her no matter what.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

'The buggers are out to get us': aristocrats on independence fears
Scottish aristocrats tell high-society magazine Tatler from their ancestral castles that they fear a mansion tax

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... ence-fears
I thought this was a parody at first glance .... but not so.
Their chief concerns, according to the upmarket title, are not about the future of the sterling or what happens when Royal Bank of Scotland relocates its registered headquarters to London. Their worries are slightly closer to home: "Will their 80,000-acre estates be parcelled out to crofters? Might SNP leader Alex Salmond bring in a swingeing castle tax? Will treasonous Scots cast off the Queen as their head of state? It's causing disquiet among the ranks, if not the file."
They seem to have cast Salmond in the same light as Mugabe ...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

This is a quite remarkable document from the Department of Education

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 092014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Myths and "facts" about the changes to schools :roll:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Here is perhaps the oddest "myth"
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 17.59.30.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 17.59.30.png (24.01 KiB) Viewed 19765 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Here is perhaps the oddest "myth"
This government seem to have completely changed the style of supposedly neutral, policy implementing departments. They now seem to think they must adopt the same kind of evangelical, belief based assertions as the ministers they have to put up with (sorry, that should read who are so firmly at the helm).

Bonkers. We are living in bonkers time.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 16m
So no afternoon Tweet from @rupertmurdoch this afternoon about tonight's YouGov IndyRef poll for his Sun & Times papers. Time to bet on NO?
What a tease.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Here is perhaps the oddest "myth"
This government seem to have completely changed the style of supposedly neutral, policy implementing departments. They now seem to think they must adopt the same kind of evangelical, belief based assertions as the ministers they have to put up with (sorry, that should read who are so firmly at the helm).

Bonkers. We are living in bonkers time.
Absolutely. I'm concerned about Roger's blood pressure if he reads it :fire:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

:lol:

Looks like Tubby was clairvoyant

Retweeted by Lightacandle
Neil Campbell ‏@scottishhealth 2h
BBC's Nick Robinson resorts to heckling on behalf of Better Together after being publicly humiliated in front of World Press. #indyref
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 5m
New ComRes IndyRef poll for @ITVBorder of South of Scotland finds NO 67% YES 33%
Presume that's one specific region only. Where's the rest?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Nick Robinson getting a kicking from the nationalists on Twitter right now after they watched his report on the BBC.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

OutsideClactonSelectionMeeting.jpg
OutsideClactonSelectionMeeting.jpg (51.41 KiB) Viewed 19751 times
Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 1m
Outside clacton Tories candidate selection meeting pic.twitter.com/W9tscRtvoQ
Ouch. That's rubbing salt in the wound. Other tweets say many Ukippers have registered to attend the meeting.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
New ComRes IndyRef poll for @ITVBorder of South of Scotland finds NO 67% YES 33%
Not surprising if it was the western borders that were polled (and as Border TV is, I think, based in Carlisle, that's quite likely). Don't forget it's Dumfriesshire that returns the Scottish Tory MP and iirc was the only area to vote against devolution.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Not surprising if it was the western borders that were polled (and as Border TV is, I think, based in Carlisle, that's quite likely). Don't forget it's Dumfriesshire that returns the Scottish Tory MP and iirc was the only area to vote against devolution.
Is it one of the most densely populated regions? Just wondering what % of the total voting population that might represent.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This partly addresses my query. Very timely.
Scottish independence: voting intention across Scotland mapped
Voting intention data mapped across Scotland shows that the race remains too close to call

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablo ... and-mapped
Might just be my laptop screen but the choice of colours to differentiate the levels of support for YES and NO seems poor ...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

No, everywhere voted for a Scottish parliament in 1997 (IIRC Orkney had the lowest "yes" vote then)

D&G was the only area to (just) go against tax-altering powers, though.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hugh Pym ‏@BBCHughPym 2h
IFS analysis says NHS spend in England 2009/10 and 2015/16 up 4%, Scotland down 1% because of Scot Govt decisions
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Presume that's one specific region only. Where's the rest?
Is it one of the most densely populated regions? Just wondering what % of the total voting population that might represent.
No - it's generally rural (mainly cattle and sheep). A few small industries (eg brewing).
Dumfries itself has a population of around 46,000.

The population of Dumfries & Galloway accounts for 2.8 per cent of the total population of Scotland according to the last census.
Last edited by Eric_WLothian on Thu 11 Sep, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:No, everywhere voted for a Scottish parliament in 1997 (IIRC Orkney had the lowest "yes" vote then)

D&G was the only area to (just) go against tax-altering powers, though.
Thanks for that. In my defence I'll just say it was a long time ago. :)
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:This partly addresses my query. Very timely.
Scottish independence: voting intention across Scotland mapped
Voting intention data mapped across Scotland shows that the race remains too close to call

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablo ... and-mapped
Might just be my laptop screen but the choice of colours to differentiate the levels of support for YES and NO seems poor ...
Not just your screen :) Not one of the Graun's most legible graphics.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

The graphics re independence made me cross eyed, gave up in the end.

Dumfries & Galloway is a lovely part of Scotland, saw my last yellowhammer there, spend an idyllic week on a headland, some wooden chalet jobbee, the wind blew so much most nights didn't think make it till morning. But a lovely part of the world, Galloway Forest Park, cracking coastline. But most just drive past on the way to the Highlands or the Trossachs.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:The graphics re independence made me cross eyed, gave up in the end.

Dumfries & Galloway is a lovely part of Scotland, saw my last yellowhammer there, spend an idyllic week on a headland, some wooden chalet jobbee, the wind blew so much most nights didn't think make it till morning. But a lovely part of the world, Galloway Forest Park, cracking coastline. But most just drive past on the way to the Highlands or the Trossachs.
Do lots of English people live there? Would seem like Scottish Powys.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

QT thingie on tonight, 9pm in Scotland, 10.40 for the rest of us, BBC Scotland is 977 for those who have a Sky box.

Galloway is on, as is Sturgeon, I doubt it will be pretty.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:The graphics re independence made me cross eyed, gave up in the end.

Didn't seem to be tbh, if memory serves me right all the pubs and shops seemed to employ locals, some of the villages had a depressed feel about, at the time, talking about 7/8 years ago, didn't seem too many youngsters about, as if they has moved away for work, found there was much more English on the west coast, Highlands. But the countryside is similar to Powys, farmland, not so many churches as Powys tho.

Powys is nice, do you know it at all?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Didn't seem to be tbh, if memory serves me right all the pubs and shops seemed to employ locals, some of the villages had a depressed feel about, at the time, talking about 7/8 years ago, didn't seem too many youngsters about, as if they has moved away for work, found there was much more English on the west coast, Highlands. But the countryside is similar to Powys, farmland, not so many churches as Powys tho.

Powys is nice, do you know it at all?
Yes, it's incredibly empty in places, especially round Radnor.

Powis Castle is something else.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

MP Matthew Hancock punished for misusing stationery
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-29162678
I must have a very dirty mind ... my first thoughts were absolutely disgusting.

But what he did is pretty disgusting ....
An MP has been made to repay £1,674 after being found to have misused House of Commons facilities.

Business Minister Matthew Hancock, Conservative MP for West Suffolk, sent letters trumpeting the government's achievements to 3,000 homes.

The Parliamentary Standards Commissioner upheld a complaint from a constituent in Suffolk that it was "blatant campaigning"...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

His party should have to write to the same 3,000 people and apologise, at their own expense.

I thought this sort of thing stopped with New Labour.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:This would really shake up Holyrood and re-energise the Labour party in Scotland:
Gordon Brown has suggested that he could stand for election in the Scottish Parliament if Alex Salmond continues to “peddle lies” about the NHS.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... n-NHS.html

Keep lying, Alex :D

And the Scotsman has nailed its colours to the mast (not that there was much doubt):

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland-s ... -1-3537857
The biggest threat to Scotland's NHS is independence.
Ouch!

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... redded-ifs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is just obvious. If Scotland votes yes they will lose free healthcare within a decade.

The NHS works as an insurance scheme because it has a big pool of healthy people paying for the sick and old to use it. Once you shrink the numbers down it just doesn't work. Oddly in the rUK immigration is a big help here (don't tell Farage).
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:His party should have to write to the same 3,000 people and apologise, at their own expense.

I thought this sort of thing stopped with New Labour.
But didn't another minister - was it IDS? - do similar own trumpet blasting re benefits stuff using official stationery and staff resources rather than Conservative party resources? I think someone on FTN was a recipient of that particular letter. Anyone else remember better than me? The Conservatives have got form in this, that's for sure.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Some bloke from ''Bread'' has been chosen to fight Clacton by the Tories..

His face just about rings a bell, but I didn't watch it much, as it was crap.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Some bloke from ''Bread'' has been chosen to fight Clacton by the Tories..

His face just about rings a bell, but I didn't watch it much, as it was crap.
Might get some party kudos for taking a kicking beyond his control.

Cf Blair in Beaconsfield.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Retweeted by Iain Martin

Oh FFS.

Or as some of us might put it, government leak to journalist who doesn't want to reveal his sources.

RBS surely has some freedom within the public sector anyway?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night, PF, from me and Nick.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Settling down to watch Scotland Debates, Sturgeon dealing in romantic rhetoric, Galloway sat down rocking back and fore, like a spinning top ready to go beserk.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I am beyond word for this shower of sh$t
'Poison pill' privatisation contracts could cost £300m-£400m to cancel
'Unprecedented' clauses guarantee firms 10 years of profits even if new government scraps controversial probation contracts
FFS!!! :fire:
The disclosure comes as the two outsourcing firms at the centre of serious fraud inquiries,, G4S and Serco, confirmed they had been granted new government work during a period when the justice secretary, Chris Grayling, had told MPs that contracts would not be awarded. The confirmation has led to claims that Grayling misled parliament.
....and what will be done about this??? nothing...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:I am beyond word for this shower of sh$t
'Poison pill' privatisation contracts could cost £300m-£400m to cancel
'Unprecedented' clauses guarantee firms 10 years of profits even if new government scraps controversial probation contracts
FFS!!! :fire:
The disclosure comes as the two outsourcing firms at the centre of serious fraud inquiries,, G4S and Serco, confirmed they had been granted new government work during a period when the justice secretary, Chris Grayling, had told MPs that contracts would not be awarded. The confirmation has led to claims that Grayling misled parliament.
....and what will be done about this??? nothing...
There'll be some get out, doubtless very clever, knowing Grayling.

"I said I wouldn't give them any contracts. I didn't say anything about the civil service"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

His civil servants are saying they'll explain the chain of events. Which is going to take some doing. Doubtless there'll be some process that started before, and he couldn't do anything about it and didn't think to mention it.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

When challenged about the IFS figures, Sturgeon responds ''it's our money, it goes down to London, and less comes back up'' argument..

Blows a raspberry, shows the audience her arse and runs away..

The last bit I made up, unfortunately.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:When challenged about the IFS figures, Sturgeon responds ''it's our money, it goes down to London, and less comes back up'' argument..

Blows a raspberry, shows the audience her arse and runs away..

The last bit I made up, unfortunately.
Barely adult.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That's Sturgeon, Not you!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Tubby Isaacs wrote:That's Sturgeon, Not you!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Galloway making TE's point that for the NHS to function it needs a big pool to fish from.

Galloway lauding Labour's record on the NHS.