Wednesday 18th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 18th March 2015

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Help to buy ISAs. Wtf?

Miliband sounds really fired up and angry.
...an individual savings account, a scheme allowing individuals to hold cash, shares, and unit trusts free of tax on dividends, interest, and capital gains...

I'm baffled how one requires assistance from Tory government to buy an individual savings account (ISA) to store untaxed lucre in.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Red book: pace of cuts in next few years is faster than pace of cuts in past few years. (Ed M. according to measures on p.64)

Includes cuts in education spending, defence, police, local government.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

So...unless there are some safeguards anyone who has not bought a property in their life could open a 25% return ISA ? Even if they never intend actually purchasing one, for example a partner in a new relationship who has moved in with someone who owns a house ?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Also massive cuts to Social Care.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Let's all go to Cuba, shall we?
I understand the people are friendly, well-educated & cooperative.
Most people in the UK are too.
Remember to vote, please.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RobertSnozers wrote:A very, very political budget from Osborne, though that was only to be expected. Very cheap 'brother' and 'two kitchen' gags. Not terribly impressive and very bombastic. Made things sound as if it's all broad, sunlit uplands and everything's rosy. Of course, the media never questions the recovery narrative. It was mainly an hour of Osborne crowing about how great he was. Amused to the extent that they're not even pretending the coalition matters now - can't remember what the quote was, but he was put 'Tory' in a soundbite, and a rather pleading 'you forgot the Liberal Democrats' could be heard in the subsequent hubbub. Yes, we all have.

Will be interesting to hear Danny Alexander tying himself in knots on WatO in a bit.

The Mail were saying that Alexander is going to deliver his own tax plans tomorrow.
Remember the cringeworthy pic of him at the weekend holding a yellow wannabe Chancellor's box ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:So...unless there are some safeguards anyone who has not bought a property in their life could open a 25% return ISA ? Even if they never intend actually purchasing one, for example a partner in a new relationship who has moved in with someone who owns a house ?
oh my god - I foresee trouble on this policy - Tory government are too absurd, you know? And then Labour get accused of poor policy? No, total projection from the Tory sector. Labour majority, please. Thank you.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

yahyah wrote:So...unless there are some safeguards anyone who has not bought a property in their life could open a 25% return ISA ? Even if they never intend actually purchasing one, for example a partner in a new relationship who has moved in with someone who owns a house ?
It's a "Help To Buy ISA" so I'd assume it's for that sole purpose – although he didn't actually mention first-time-buyers. There's a second ISA that you can take money in and out from. Giggled when he said that the average 10% deposit on a new house is £15,000. To buy this council flat (or, rather, identical ones on this estate) you'd need £35,000 as a 10% deposit.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
yahyah wrote:He does have a look of Caligula about him.
Of course, that was my thought too. Let's not encourage Jeff. He'd probably dig being compared to Caligula.
I thought more in terms of Nero fiddling while Rome burns.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Not sure there's a Conservative leader of a southern "city" apart from Johnson, is there?

They've died on their arses in cities for years.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:

The Mail were saying that Alexander is going to deliver his own tax plans tomorrow.
Remember the cringeworthy pic of him at the weekend holding a yellow wannabe Chancellor's box ?

I missed that. Lucky me 8-)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tim Cheetham
‏@CllrTim Small print: bigger spending cuts 'than anything seen in the last five years' #Budget15 #osbornomics #redbook

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Robert Peston: Allowing pensioners to sell their annuity is forecast to raise half-a-billion in tax.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Question. Why doesn't the Shadow Chancellor make the response to the Budget speech? It's the Shadow Chancellor when it's the Autumn Statement, after all.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

LadyCentauria wrote:Question. Why doesn't the Shadow Chancellor make the response to the Budget speech? It's the Shadow Chancellor when it's the Autumn Statement, after all.
Leader of the Opposition always replies to main budget. Just the way it is.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RobertSnozers wrote:Oh, and did anyone else catch the announcement about scrapping annual tax returns? I'd welcome not having to fill the thing in, but I'm at a loss to think how the information could be automatically transferred to HMRC. For a start, only I know what my expenses are, I get paid by a number of 'customers', some of whom deduct tax at source and some of whom don't. It strikes me as a recipe for confusion and, to put it bluntly, getting robbed blind.
I vision it like a bigger UC fiasco - will have to do them monthly on line ? Impossible if so, for starters what rate of tax will be taken? on last years rate? Will we then have to wait to year end for rebate if business/takings have dropped?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I won't be here in the morning, I'm going to spend an hour with Martin Rowson. 8-)
http://www.tees.ac.uk/sections/whats_on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nt_id=7333
I enjoyed Rowson's talk and recommend it to any of you if he visits your neck of the woods.
Slight drawback if you're familiar with his recent work, some of the explanations were superfluous. Clearly many of the students had never seen them.

He said this was the worst govt in his lifetime - he's 56 - but he loves drawing them.

The lecturer I was sitting next to said her students were less and less politically involved, they couldn't see that they had, or could have, any influence over the govt. Except she said there's a revival of feminism, which is something I suppose.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ha ha ha ha.
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 31m31 minutes ago Barnet, London
Thought that was one of Ed Miliband's better performances. But just wasn't backed up by his own benches. Which is telling in itself.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

"The first £1,000 interest on savings to be tax free". Please correct me if I'm wrong - but you'd have to have a fairly hefty wad salted away to benefit from this, give the interest rate on savings is so low. The very well-off will be pleased about this.

More generally, the projected figures look like a re-run of the aims, not met, of this lot when they first took office.

Ed Miliband has it right when he says that "it's a Budget that people won't believe from a government they don't trust".
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Well. I tried. I really tried. I put PMQs on. Watching old smooth tongue glibly pushing aside the appalling cancer treatment figures, and having the urge to smash my computer I jumped up and thought I'd do a few chores and just listen.
And then Osborne came on. I had to turn him off.
In the last few days I've become far more angry than is good for me.

It leaves me wondering if I'll be able to stay up for the election results and if the Cons get in, how will I be able to get up and carry on as normal?

I've been pondering that.
If the Tories get in because they win a landslide [unlikely I know], in a sense it would be easier to accept than if the Tories sneak back in because of the votes of people who have fallen for the spiel of the 'lefter than you' small parties.

On a personal level my household won't be worse off financially under the Tories, may even be a few pounds up if the Tories did bring in a married people tax allowance.
But the way Britain will change in another five years of them in power is too depressing to contemplate.

An old friend of my husband lives in South America and has got got his papers sorted to be able to work in Cuba after a short work visit last year. He's going for a stint in May and has asked us to join him.
Have to admit if the Tories get in we may well take him up on it and leave the UK behind for as long as a Cuban tourist visa would allow.
At least several thousand miles away I'd be less likely to strangle the Ms Monroes of this world who will be no doubt whining on about how awful a Tory government is without taking responsibility for their role in how Cameron got back into No 10.

I was thinking yesterday,when the playlist was started,that there's no way I could sit through the election results.in fact I don't know how I'll be able to look online the next morning.could some brave person pm me to say if it's safe to open the page?
One of the reasons I moved us to France in 2009 was because it was clear that Cameron would be pm and I couldn't bear the thought.was very sad that Rosie missed england so much we had to come back.
If there's another Tory led govt,well,at least I own my house,car,no debts at all.Will just stop reading the news,batten down the hatches and wait it out.
And any whining Tory enabling 'lefties' can starve for all I care.They will deserve it.
Last thing,I would hope Ed takes himself of to a nice,relaxing well paid job and gets 2 more kitchens,and tell Sparrow,dfh et al to fuck off.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Oh, and did anyone else catch the announcement about scrapping annual tax returns? I'd welcome not having to fill the thing in, but I'm at a loss to think how the information could be automatically transferred to HMRC. For a start, only I know what my expenses are, I get paid by a number of 'customers', some of whom deduct tax at source and some of whom don't. It strikes me as a recipe for confusion and, to put it bluntly, getting robbed blind.
It got a mention on last nights Press Preview & apparently there is some concern that for this plan to work, the HMRC would require detailed information of the income & expenditure from one's personal bank account !!

If the annual statement of affairs (which essentially all the tax return amounts to) is abolished, how else would HMRC know how much tax to collect ?

Of course, government computers systems are mega-safe & it's unheard of for data to be saved on pen drives then left behind on buses and so on.....

edit to clarify, the concern was by the journos, not the gidiot clan.
Last edited by pk1 on Wed 18 Mar, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

This chart is the one that shows how the wealthy win again:

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ha ha ha ha.
Thought that was one of Ed Miliband's better performances. But just wasn't backed up by his own benches. Which is telling in itself.
Must have imagined all that cheering at the end of it, then - and just to clarify, it wasn't coming from the Tory benches either ;)

He produced the goods when it was needed, nuff said.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

"The first £1,000 interest on savings to be tax free". Please correct me if I'm wrong - but you'd have to have a fairly hefty wad salted away to benefit from this, give the interest rate on savings is so low. The very well-off will be pleased about this.
Doesn't this make existing ISAs, and the proposed in-and-out ISAs, redundant for most people?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Contribution to growth from housing investment dropped since last year - no wonder they're giving money away to first time buyers.

Dwellings investment....2013..2014...2015...2016....2017....2018....2019
2014 Budget................0.2.....0.4.....0.4.....0.5......0.5......0.4 .
2015 Budget.............. 0.2.....0.3......0.1.....0.2......0.2......0.3....0.2
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ha ha ha ha.
Must have imagined all that cheering at the end of it, then - and just to clarify, it wasn't coming from the Tory benches either ;)

He produced the goods when it was needed, nuff said.
Why ripping Osborne a new one is bad for Miliband.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AS:
The government will provide £50 for every £200 someone saves, up to a maximum of government payment of £3,000. People will only be able to use this for a first home, and one that they will live in. It is available for homes worth up to £250,000, or £450,000 in London and the government money only gets handed over at the point the purchase. But a couple buying a home together can both get their £3,000. The Treasury expects 60% of first-time buyers to use the scheme, and by the end of the decade it is expected to cost £835m a year.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

pk1 wrote:
It got a mention on last nights Press Preview & apparently there is some concern that for this plan to work, the HMRC would require detailed information of the income & expenditure from one's personal bank account !!

If the annual statement of affairs (which essentially all the tax return amounts to) is abolished, how else would HMRC know how much tax to collect ?

Of course, government computers systems are mega-safe & it's unheard of for data to be saved on pen drives then left behind on buses and so on.....
Seems a daft idea to me. Most income - bank interest, share dividends, salaries, pensions (other than the state pension) are taxed at source and would only be relevant if they cumulatively pushed you into a higher tax bracket. Any untaxed income/expenses from a business would only be available at the end of the tax year anyway. - unless every individual transaction is logged with HMRC as it happens.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

One of the reasons I moved us to France in 2009 was because it was clear that Cameron would be pm and I couldn't bear the thought.was very sad that Rosie missed england so much we had to come back.
If there's another Tory led govt,well,at least I own my house,car,no debts at all.Will just stop reading the news,batten down the hatches and wait it out.
And any whining Tory enabling 'lefties' can starve for all I care.They will deserve it.
Last thing,I would hope Ed takes himself of to a nice,relaxing well paid job and gets 2 more kitchens,and tell Sparrow,dfh et al to fuck off.
Rebecca
Just sent you a PM.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

OMG, look at this spending/cuts plan:

So it's cut like f*ck between 2015 & 2018 then stop cutting in 2019, prior to the 2020 GE !

If only viewers/readers were told what was in store if they vote tory....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:AS:
The government will provide £50 for every £200 someone saves, up to a maximum of government payment of £3,000. People will only be able to use this for a first home, and one that they will live in. It is available for homes worth up to £250,000, or £450,000 in London and the government money only gets handed over at the point the purchase. But a couple buying a home together can both get their £3,000. The Treasury expects 60% of first-time buyers to use the scheme, and by the end of the decade it is expected to cost £835m a year.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where's the money going to come from, now?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

pk1 wrote:AS:
So if you can already afford the deposit, stick it in the new ISA for a month or two and get up to £3,000 bonus?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Ed Balls now on BBC Two Budget Special: OBR say Chancellors plans mean public spending squeeze for next two/three years harsher than anything seen in the 5 years of current government.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

LadyCentauria wrote:Ed Balls now on BBC Two Budget Special: OBR say Chancellors plans mean public spending squeeze for next two/three years harsher than anything seen in the 5 years of current government.
That's what the RDEL chart I posted ^^ says.

It's shocking !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:OMG, look at this spending/cuts plan:

So it's cut like f*ck between 2015 & 2018 then stop cutting in 2019, prior to the 2020 GE !

I wish I could find a quote from a few years ago when it was said by this government (George Osborne himself, I think) that austerity (in terms of government spending) was here to stay as a matter of principle and was not going to go away even when\if things began to look up. Except when there's an election in the offing. (Well, that last bit wasn't actually said.)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

pk1 wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:Ed Balls now on BBC Two Budget Special: OBR say Chancellors plans mean public spending squeeze for next two/three years harsher than anything seen in the 5 years of current government.
That's what the RDEL chart I posted ^^ says.

It's shocking !
Yep, I saw your comment after I'd posted mine. That chart is shocking!

Beer duty cut, spirits duty cut, wine duty cut – according to JoCo. I think her figures were percentages rather than pennies and in the realm of 1% for beer and spirits, 2% for wine. What about us tea-totallers! What do we get?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:

I wish I could find a quote from a few years ago when it was said by this government (George Osborne himself, I think) that austerity (in terms of government spending) was here to stay as a matter of principle and was not going to go away even when\if things began to look up. Except when there's an election in the offing. (Well, that last bit wasn't actually said.)
That reminds me of the following - Speech from Dave filed under 'Austerity Forever'.
I might have Osborne's contribution somewhere but I'm not sure what I filed that one under.
Lord Mayor’s Banquet 2013: Prime Minister’s speech
David Cameron
11 November 2013

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ers-speech" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited due to format errors
Last edited by citizenJA on Wed 18 Mar, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:

It was Cameron.

It was hard to stomach David Cameron preaching austerity from a golden throne

http://gu.com/p/3kbyq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

'Government has failed on deficit target, Chancellor has pushed his targets back creating long grass economic plan. '

Rather nice by UKIP.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

LadyCentauria wrote: Beer duty cut, spirits duty cut, wine duty cut – according to JoCo. I think her figures were percentages rather than pennies and in the realm of 1% for beer and spirits, 2% for wine. What about us tea-totallers! What do we get?
You can't complain - tea tax was abolished in the 1770s, after the Boston Tea Party. :) :)
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Everyone seems completely underwhelmed by Osborne's budget.

Unless of course I have missed any ''Killer Osborne shoots Labour's fox'' headlines. There again haven't been over yonder to the Telegraph yet. Who I can't imagine will be too pleased about the Swansea Bay Lagoon measures, there was an incandescent piece about it last week.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

RobertSnozers wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:... What about us tea-totallers! What do we get?
A lower risk of stroke, heart disease and cancer?
Well, yes but we've already got that. I really should have put a wink at the end of my comment above :)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I thought I heard GO say debt had fallen. This para is from AS:
National debt to be lower at end of this parliament than at start

Osborne says for much of the last five years the national debt has been rising.

But he will be able to meet his original debt target, he says.

National debt to be lower at the end of this parliament than at the start, Osborne says.
(This was one of Osborne’s two original two fiscal targets. Most commentators assumed he had given up hope of achieving it.)
so to see just how far out his figures are, I went to the BBC for details of the emergency budget in June 2010:
Debt to peak in 2013/14 at 70% of GDP.
so debt in 2010 was £1000bn

Here's the truth about that debt figure:

StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:I thought I heard GO say debt had fallen. This para is from AS:
National debt to be lower at end of this parliament than at start

Osborne says for much of the last five years the national debt has been rising.

But he will be able to meet his original debt target, he says.

National debt to be lower at the end of this parliament than at the start, Osborne says.
(This was one of Osborne’s two original two fiscal targets. Most commentators assumed he had given up hope of achieving it.)
so to see just how far out his figures are, I went to the BBC for details of the emergency budget in June 2010:
Debt to peak in 2013/14 at 70% of GDP.
Here's the truth about that debt figure:

I can't remember the exact state I heard, but it's in there somewhere!

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... 015-speech" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

So is he dropping sticking to Osborne's plan for 2015/6?

I can see why he said he would- it's good with markets to show straight off you're "tough". But even so.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

" Deficit
Mr Deputy Speaker, when we came to office, the deficit stood at more than ten per cent of our national income – one of the highest of any major advanced economy and the largest in our peacetime history.
The IMF says we’ve achieved the largest, most sustained reduction in our structural deficit of any major economy.
Today, the OBR confirm that it now stands at less than half of the deficit we inherited.
But at 5% this year, it’s still far too high – and it must come down.
With our plan it does.
The deficit falls to 4% in 2015-16; then down to 2% the following year; and down again to 0.6% the year after that.
The deficit is lower in every year than at the Autumn Statement.
In 2018-19, Britain will have a budget surplus of 0.2%; followed by a forecast surplus of 0.3% in 2019-20.
We will also comfortably meet our fiscal mandate and Britain will be running a surplus for the first time in 18 years.
That leads to borrowing. Every one of the borrowing numbers is lower than at the Autumn Statement too.
We inherited annual borrowing of over £150 billion from the last government.
This year borrowing is set to fall to £90.2 billion; a billion lower than expected at the Autumn Statement.
It falls again in 2015-16 to £75.3 billion; then £39.4 billion the year after that, before falling to £12.8 billion – in total that’s £5 billion less borrowing than we forecast just three months ago.
In 2018-19, we reach an overall surplus of £5.2 billion – a £1 billion improvement compared to December.
In 2019-20 we are forecast to run a surplus of £7 billion. So growth is up.
Unemployment is down.
Borrowing is down in every year of the forecast.
We reach a surplus.
All contributing to a national debt now falling as a share of national income. Out of the red and into the black – Britain is back paying its way in the world. "
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Gideon is such a twit.

I am liking the idea of him as Caligula - who went bonkers in the end, indulging in all manner of odd practices and sexual peccadilloes; he even planned to make his horse, Incicatus, a consul but opted for the priesthood instead.

But Caligula, for all his oddities, was actually quite intelligent as a younger man.

I'm not convinced we can say the same for dear Gideon.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
So is he dropping sticking to Osborne's plan for 2015/6?

I can see why he said he would- it's good with markets to show straight off you're "tough". But even so.
He has always said he will stick to Osborne's spending limits, not his spending plans; as an incoming Chancellor he is restricted in his first year by the budget limits set by the outgoing one unless he dramatically increases borrowing or has his own emergency budget to change the ground rules.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

I was wrong about the duties: it's really 1p off beer duty, 2p off cider, 2p off scotch whisky, wine duty frozen. Tobacco and gambling taxes frozen.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ citizenJA and StephenDolan

Thank you both (re the austerity forever quote).