Thursday 19th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Thursday 19th March 2015

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Minutes of March's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting revealed that policymakers believed "there was a risk that divergent monetary policy trends ... might continue to" drive the pound higher.
The members said: "This had the potential to prolong the period for which inflation would remain below the target and exacerbate the risk that lower expectations of inflation might become persistent."
The Bank's currency concerns and limp wage growth led to sell-off in sterling. The pound fell by 0.49pc against the dollar to its lowest level since June 2010, and by 0.66pc compared with the euro.
Telegraph
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

One of the earliest academies - The City Academy Bristol opened Sept 2003 - has just had an Inadequate grading and placed in special measures.

Looking at their results, I can't say I'm surprised - but was anyone intervening before Ofsted came in? Almost certainly not.

Exactly when are the Gove-ites (and Adonis-ites for that matter) going to admit academy trusts aren't the simple answer that they think they are?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Interesting account of a debate about academies.

http://blog.policy.manchester.ac.uk/pos ... y-go-next/
Heather’s LA of Tameside achieved some notoriety recently when, following Sir Michael Wilshaw’s denunciation of Tameside schools’ performance, its officers took the opportunity to pose the perfectly reasonable question of why the LA should be held to account for schools which are autonomous from it. Tonight, she revealed that the relationship that LAs have with the academies in their quasi-jurisdiction is complicated. They are obliged to maintain strategic oversight, but it is hard to get through the door of underperforming academies — and as Becky pointed out, there is little evidence that academies do any better than maintained schools.
So, given this, LAs are in the same position as anyone else - they only see externally published data. Quite how they're supposed to keep a 'strategic oversight' is difficult to understand

Heather confirmed that in her LA, they are seeing problems highlighted by the Academies Commission concerning admissions and exclusions for vulnerable children or those with special educational needs. Quite simply, academies are finding ways not to have these children on their roll.[/quote]

I'm shocked, shocked etc.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh jeez...some girl from the TaxPayers Alliance on QT - why the hell are they invited?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh jeez...some girl from the TaxPayers Alliance on QT - why the hell are they invited?
Didn't do anyone any favours though Roger ;-)

Tbf Umunna completely nailed that one and had the audience nodding along. I know he's not a fave here but...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Shirley not....
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I love Will Self ;-)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I love Will Self ;-)
So does Will Self. :)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Purple Revolution review? I thought he pulled his punches a little and it flagged a little in the middle. Maybe he was edited?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/m ... a-ordinary
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

NewsThump
25 mins ·
Don't look at the Sun tomorrow. It's still dangerous even if only 10% is visible. The same goes for the Express and the Mail.

:D
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Hobiejoe wrote:
Purple Revolution review? I thought he pulled his punches a little and it flagged a little in the middle. Maybe he was edited?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/m ... a-ordinary
Talking of books by "politicians", Alex Salmond's book was published today. Amazon currently has 8 reviews - 6 five star, 2 one star, nothing in between :lol: :lol:

Interestingly, there's already a used copy on sale... in the US.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dream-Shall ... roduct_top
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

"A very interesting report from the Adam Smith Institute"

Isn't that one of those oxymorons?
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

RogerOThornhill wrote:"A very interesting report from the Adam Smith Institute"

Isn't that one of those oxymorons?
Could it be an instance of the leopard changing its shorts?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Right. Been to the CLP's meeting this evening, and apparently Ed Miliband will be turning up in town in April. I think I'll be there, and AAW, if you're a member, check it out with your CLP.

Of more interest to me is the fact that Rachel Reeves is coming up here fairly soon for a Labour social. If Effie and anyone else in the clutches of/at the mercy of the DWP would like to send me a PM then I'll send you my council email address. I want to nail her on comments she's made passim about Labour and social security and I need lots of ammo. Questions are good; articles you've clipped (not links) or your own findings are better. If you want Labour to be more sympathetic towards those in need of social security, then send me the ammo.

I hope this is classed as a local smellysocks political hack listening to the great unwashed. Go to it.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:NewsThump
25 mins ·
Don't look at the Sun tomorrow. It's still dangerous even if only 10% is visible. The same goes for the Express and the Mail.

:D
No, seriously it is fine.

I have some purpose built tit proof glass.

No matter how many pictures the twats print of Osborne and Cameron I am guaranteed not to go blind.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote: I'm joining you in that endeavour, today, cJA. In part because of reloading but also because:
a) I might be guilty of over-thanking – I really appreciate everyone's posts and think they're all brilliant so it's difficult to select particularly appreciated ones,
b) the not-rechargeable batteries in the mouse have died and I can't get to the shop today, and I'm using a clunky jerky ancient one from my Blueberry iMac
c) my poor little right handy-pandy is all hurty - everybody say awww and kiss better :( ;)

Ingrate.

(I hope your hand gets better soon.)
Thank you! I crashed the operating system of the computer I use. My partner is playing the guitar & waiting for the disk to finish installing another operating system. He made me tea too. You're still here. Life is good. The head still hurts though. Perhaps I'll reinstall another operating system.
Oh dear! I wish your head better and your computer too. And please thank your partner from me for guitar-playing, computer-tech duties, and the tea-making services x
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh jeez...some girl from the TaxPayers Alliance on QT - why the hell are they invited?
Didn't do anyone any favours though Roger ;-)

Tbf Umunna completely nailed that one and had the audience nodding along. I know he's not a fave here but...
From the bit I could be arsed to watch, he did a reasonable job.

I was fascinated by Sajid Javid's facial profile: he looks like a gremlin.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Woah, hang on a minute.

Crace is two for two here.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... d-lunchbox

In fact almost equally decent is the other Danny Alexander sketch he wrote.

Maybe he has finally decided writing crap to keep the Guardian Tory Tendency happy is beneath him.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Just done a quick test, re what happens if you (I) use the thank-button, as Ernst wanted to know.

At 'actual size' it goes to 'you have just thanked' page then returns to the page you were on with the post you've just thanked at the top of the window/tab
At 150%, ditto.
I'm using Chrome Version 41.0.2272.89 (64-bit) on a mid-2011 iMac running OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F2501
Other hardware, operating systems, and browsers, may vary ;)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Ooh! We've got another new member! Hello and welcome, Rachelspeth :waves:

Make yourself at home, enjoy the facilities – especially our fully-subsidised kitchen café and bar, where our latest addition to our menu is an exclusive collection of cherry-tomato or baby-beetroot encased in chocolate-coated choux-pastry served with a prune coulis dip.