Thursday 19th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 19th March 2015

Post by citizenJA »

Rebecca wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Rebecca wrote:There is no mention of Ed Balls budget response in Sparrows blog,did anyone hear it?
It was the main budget so EdM responded (protocol)
He did great! :dance:
I know,but thought Balls responded today.
Me too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

LadyCentauria wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I'm trying to avoid clicking the 'thank you' button because the webpage takes too long to reload. I read your posts, friends, & thank you all for them.
I'm joining you in that endeavour, today, cJA. In part because of reloading but also because:
a) I might be guilty of over-thanking – I really appreciate everyone's posts and think they're all brilliant so it's difficult to select particularly appreciated ones,
b) the not-rechargeable batteries in the mouse have died and I can't get to the shop today, and I'm using a clunky jerky ancient one from my Blueberry iMac
c) my poor little right handy-pandy is all hurty - everybody say awww and kiss better :( ;)

Ingrate.

(I hope your hand gets better soon.)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Please remember the number of protesters who marched in order to tell Tony Blair & the Labour party not to go into war with the ghastly Bush bastard. Some Labour party MPs listened to their constituents & the rest of the nation & didn't vote for war. That's a fine thing. People don't like it when they feel a thing strongly & find their numbers lodging legitimate complaint effectively ignored. Many best friends marched & felt their protest failing to move Blair to remain out of war as a betrayal. Blair may not have paid the price as others would wish but he's not come out unscathed for his mistake. Ed Miliband declines to know Tony Blair at this time. I don't know any friends continuing to blame the current Labour party for neglect then. Ed Miliband has said it was a bad thing, going to war - it wasn't a good action. I accept his apology. If I thought current Labour party leadership would ignore me again, I'd not be able to support them. My conscience is clear; I'm able to support Labour.

It's not fair, Labour having to be better than Tories in conduct, action, word at all times. It's not a just, equitable arrangement Labour party representation having to always maintain higher standards than are required from Tories & others. It's not hard to be more decent than Tory representatives. Decency, competency, conscientious action, competent management isn't too difficult for anyone. I wish current government had done a better job. People would be alive, happier & less frightened. I take no pleasure in the waste current Tory-led coalition government have visited upon the nation.

Ed Miliband has taken a supremely unpopular global leader stance in regards to Palestine & Israel. Ed Miliband won't support aggression against Palestine. God help you, Ed Miliband. Edited to add - I honour Ed Miliband for his pursuit of peace.
I agree with all of that. Even then, there are some people who want to split hairs with Ed's words and say that although he has repeatedly said it was wrong, he didn't actually apologise as such (although how he could when he wasn't responsible, and how meaningful it would have been I don't know).

Ed's position on Palestine is another one of those issues that if Labour and the Conservatives were identical in every other respect and there was no other choice would make Labour worth voting for.
Robert, having re-read my response to you I found it too glib, what I wrote. Ed Miliband wasn't & isn't responsible for the actions of former Labour party leaders. He's leader now & I regret calling Miliband's comments about the second Iraqi war 'an apology'. He can't apologise for what's not his responsibility.

Thank you for your words about Ed's position on Palestine. I was born not long after The Six Day War. My father was a newspaper publisher. I hear the names of those people in leadership positions during that time like a language I was first taught. They're part of my childhood & upbringing.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... s-19032015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beaker gets a stuffing - 31 minutes in.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

pk1 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Given the clarifications that both Reeves and Gentleman have made I can't agree with you that this article is "excellent". Sorry.
I just get 'page not found'. What's it about?
Try this link:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... e-are-scum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't read it after seeing the much-derided 'quote' by Reeves because I doubt it's value when the article is based on a 'quote' taken out of context, despite the original author (Amelia Gentleman) confirming her own question to Reeves was missing from the subsequently published piece in the Graun.

Having had an exchange of Tweets with Frances, I think what she has done is try to be as supportive of Labour as she can whilst acknowledging that RR was selectively quoted.

Frances Tweeted this to me - "...tough to write publicly. There's such good there, but bloody hell must cut scared soundbites" and I have to say I think she's right.

I think she, like many other campaigners (me included) want Labour to make some noise about the good stuff they ARE doing - and as she says in her article, there's quite a bit of it - and try to stop giving the MSM the soundbites they're after.
Amelia Gentleman was right to clarify the statement - and kudos to her for doing so - but by then the damage was done.

My frustration in all this is that we know the media will latch on to any little snippet they can find to denigrate Labour; expecting to be shot is one thing, handing the enemy the ammunition is quite another.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

And some fun stuff from 2012 for all us door knockers to absorb and use in doorstep conversations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ramesh- ... 07552.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Actually a quite amusing (and fairly accurate) article on George Osborne's budget speech by John Rentoul in the Independent -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 18196.html
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

On a lighter note - from LabourList -

CCHQ Tweeted a link a new you-tube video today called "Don't Let Them Do It Again"

It had to be taken down at once because STV claimed it was a copyright infringement.

These dipsticks can't even get that right. I'd despair if I couldn't stop giggling.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I'm trying to avoid clicking the 'thank you' button because the webpage takes too long to reload. I read your posts, friends, & thank you all for them.
I'm joining you in that endeavour, today, cJA. In part because of reloading but also because:
a) I might be guilty of over-thanking – I really appreciate everyone's posts and think they're all brilliant so it's difficult to select particularly appreciated ones,
b) the not-rechargeable batteries in the mouse have died and I can't get to the shop today, and I'm using a clunky jerky ancient one from my Blueberry iMac
c) my poor little right handy-pandy is all hurty - everybody say awww and kiss better :( ;)
Thank you!
I thought it helped me know which comments I'd read or not but it doesn't.
I share your appreciation of everyone's posts. Company like this doesn't just happen. The Guardvarks & FTNers here are an exceptional group. Knowledgeable, witty, interesting & intelligent.

Apologies too, everyone, for possibly boring the hell out you by my posting I'm weaning off the thank you button, consider yourself thanked messages. Fewer misunderstandings occur the longer I drone on & on & on...Or maybe I'm just ignored? That's okay too though I hope it's not always by everyone.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ErnstRemarx wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... s-19032015

Beaker gets a stuffing - 31 minutes in.

Ouch.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maybe it's worth having a FTN poll on whether to disable the thanks button as it does make the page jiggle around every time you use it ?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

citizenJA wrote:
Manchester Piccadilly Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index (AQI)
MANCHESTER PICCADILLY

Preston, United Kingdom AQI: : Preston Real-time Air Quality Index (AQI)
Unhealthy
for Sensitive Groups
Updated on Thursday 10:00

http://aqicn.org/city/united-kingdom/ma ... iccadilly/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hate this!
CitizenPMJR has inhalers for his asthma.
Damn Tory smog.
My asthma has been bothering me for a few weeks now so when I heard about this this morning I thought it was some kind of cruel joke to finish me off. Managed to get from work to home without my asthma becoming too bad but I've just looked out of my window and the smog is getting thicker by the minute. I can actually see sand particles falling like drizzle.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I don't know which I hate more, shops with automatic check-outs, or having to spend hours doing jobs that I used to be able to buy as a service (travel agents, ticket sellers, etc etc). Either way it's machines replacing people in a world where the economy is based on making more people.

It can't end well.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:Maybe it's worth having a FTN poll on whether to disable the thanks button as it does make the page jiggle around every time you use it ?
FWIW I like having the Thanks button. You can't respond to every post, and the thanks button lets people know you have read and appreciate. That goes a long way. The page doesn't jiggle that much - it just takes the post you have thanked to the top of the page.

However, I'm fortunate enough to have a new PC that works with it, I can appreciate if it's problematic for others. But remember what it was like before we had the thank button linked specifically to posts - a number of people got upset, thinking their posts were being ignored.
Good grief - what are people seeing? When I hit Thanks, I get a new screen confirming I've thanked someone, and abot 2 seconds later I'm back at that same post, with it showing my thanks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Rebecca wrote:IFS saying that Labour could meet its targets without implementing any cuts.
Oh,and guess what,the poor have suffered disproportionately during this govt.
For anyone who is interested, here is the IFS Post-Budget Briefing from last night:

http://www.ifs.org.uk/events/1140

Click the links to each speaker's presentation, listed on right-hand side of page, which take you to a description plus links to listen to the presentation (with slides) or to download the full presentation.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

With my laptop it takes me back up the page a bit after coming back to the thread, so have to scroll down again, but that may be because I have my page zoomed to 150% as it makes it easier to read.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Rebecca wrote:IFS saying that Labour could meet its targets without implementing any cuts.
Oh,and guess what,the poor have suffered disproportionately during this govt.
The IFS seem to be getting frustrated with Osborne's refusal to say how £10 billion of his £12 billion social security cuts are going to be made, despite that target having been around for a couple of years.

It's particularly galling that Osborne persistently places 'welfare spending' outside austerity. When he's questioned about all the cuts he's going to have to make, his reply is always along the lines of 'yes but we're going to clamp down on tax avoidance and welfare so not all the cuts will have to come from departmental spending'. So is the DWP not a department any more?
I've found that increasingly odd, too. Increasingly as in it's dawned upon me slowly that he's suggesting that we shouldn't think of 'welfare' (preferably known as Social Security) as being anything to do with any departments. Perhaps it works on IDS, though, and stops him from beating-up Osborne...

It could be said (charitably) that the various areas covered by The Welfare State, originally, are now spread across different departments from where they were, originally, placed and sometimes covered by more than one department. Eg., NHS in Health, Social Care in Communities & Local Government but paid for partly by DWP. The building of Social Housing has pretty much gone by the board but would have been in CLG although Housing Benefits were, and under UC, are paid out by DWP. So Osborne's planned £12bn cut might not only be expected from the DWP. I hope that makes sense.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Just watched Chris Leslie giving Danny Alexander a kicking in Parliament. Brilliant!

Don't the Lib-Dems have to vote for Osborne's Budget in a few day time?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:Maybe it's worth having a FTN poll on whether to disable the thanks button as it does make the page jiggle around every time you use it ?
FWIW I like having the Thanks button. You can't respond to every post, and the thanks button lets people know you have read and appreciate. That goes a long way. The page doesn't jiggle that much - it just takes the post you have thanked to the top of the page.

However, I'm fortunate enough to have a new PC that works with it, I can appreciate if it's problematic for others. But remember what it was like before we had the thank button linked specifically to posts - a number of people got upset, thinking their posts were being ignored.
Good grief - what are people seeing? When I hit Thanks, I get a new screen confirming I've thanked someone, and abot 2 seconds later I'm back at that same post, with it showing my thanks.
Me too.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

I'm breaking my own advice from this morning but this from Paul Mason is too good to miss.

http://blogs.channel4.com/paul-mason-bl ... d-sun/3481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

It's actually been a reasonable day politics wise.

Osborne's had a shoeing from the IFS - and the OBR - over his budget, a budget if presented by Labour would have the subject of scorn the same day, no doubt. He's exposed as a chancer whose evasions were found even by James Naughtie to be too much to take. A 'moral failure' who refuses to say who he's going to clobber in social security cuts, although we can all guess. A man who's happy to stoke up a housing bubble and the next financial crisis for the crassest of reasons, and who yet again gives the rich a leg up, as noted by no less than Paul Lewis from Moneybox Live.

In the past, Osborne would have got away with it, no question, with full and uncritical meeja support. However, I've noticed a different tone today, I think, and I'm led to believe that the relevant thread in the Wail Online (with x thousand comments attached) is full of responses slagging off Osborne. If so, good. Even the BBC managed to stir itself from its timid torpor long enough to be critical of Osborne. 'Moral failure' is quite something to chuck at Osborne for a Beeb hack.

And to top off a bad day for the government, the Fibs make a laughing stock of themselves in the HoC. Only 17 MPs there, and even Clegg couldn't bear to sit through it and scarpered, leaving Beaker to get the full ire of both Bercow and the excllent Chris Leslie. I'm told that Balls was toying with Osborne during the budget debate in the House, as well. Has the parliamentary Labour party changed its brand of bottled water or something? After Miliband yesterday to today's performances, I've been impressed.

In a final 'compare and contrast', see also the IFS (or was it OBR) report that after 2015/16, Labour wouldn't need to make any more cuts. Compare that to Osborne, and simply wonder where the Tories get a reputation from for fiscal probity, 'cos I'm not seeing that at all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

The chief exec of NHS Providers has said there is a £2.5 BN black hole in NHS funding.

This is like Groundhog Day. So once again the Tories have fucked our NHS.

God help us all if they get in again in May.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:

Ingrate.

(I hope your hand gets better soon.)
Thank you! I crashed the operating system of the computer I use. My partner is playing the guitar & waiting for the disk to finish installing another operating system. He made me tea too. You're still here. Life is good. The head still hurts though. Perhaps I'll reinstall another operating system.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

That line from the IFS about Labour not needing austerity after the first year neatly blunts the attacks being made on the 'Red Tories' by the Greens, SNP etc.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
goodnight, PF!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: FWIW I like having the Thanks button. You can't respond to every post, and the thanks button lets people know you have read and appreciate. That goes a long way. The page doesn't jiggle that much - it just takes the post you have thanked to the top of the page.

Me too.
That's a yes here with me too.
I'm using the partner's computer & hit thank you, Ohso trying to reply to your post.
It's only taken five minutes tops...<exasperation.....>
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:The chief exec of NHS Providers has said there is a £2.5 BN black hole in NHS funding.

This is like Groundhog Day. So once again the Tories have fucked our NHS.

God help us all if they get in again in May.
I don't think so many people will vote for a government that has managed to put the NHS into a £2.5 BN black hole - Don't vote Tory, they broke the NHS.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:

Yes. Me too. The partner is looking decidedly askance at me at this juncture wondering out loud what ta hell you done to your computer, cJA?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Spacedone wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Manchester Piccadilly Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index (AQI)
MANCHESTER PICCADILLY

Preston, United Kingdom AQI: : Preston Real-time Air Quality Index (AQI)
Unhealthy
for Sensitive Groups
Updated on Thursday 10:00

http://aqicn.org/city/united-kingdom/ma ... iccadilly/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hate this!
CitizenPMJR has inhalers for his asthma.
Damn Tory smog.
My asthma has been bothering me for a few weeks now so when I heard about this this morning I thought it was some kind of cruel joke to finish me off. Managed to get from work to home without my asthma becoming too bad but I've just looked out of my window and the smog is getting thicker by the minute. I can actually see sand particles falling like drizzle.
Oh that's too awful. I'm so sorry.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I don't know which I hate more, shops with automatic check-outs, or having to spend hours doing jobs that I used to be able to buy as a service (travel agents, ticket sellers, etc etc). Either way it's machines replacing people in a world where the economy is based on making more people.

It can't end well.
We could all get taught how to be self-sustaining as possible using permaculture methods of growing our food. Plenty of time & people to work the land a bit & spend winter making sure the wind turbines keep us supplied with energy. I make a lovely apple-rhubarb crumble. If a few of us kept a cow or goat, there could be ice cream. I wish I could trade a crumble for a stylish hair cut.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:

The thanking mechanism is good to indicate I've read, acknowledged a post, I've just had a great deal of trouble lately due to my fearless experimentation with open source operating systems - I have a lot of different programs going at once sometimes. I've got to try to save a folder of data now. I'll come back soon. Wish me luck.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Some of the reviews of Farage's book, on Amazon, are glorious: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... Descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

If you fancy a real giggle, have a look at the Mirror.

Grant Shapps, that well-known internet whizz-kid, hasn't quite managed to tidy up after himself.

According to who.is his personal website, linking to his local constituency party, is owned by - wait for it - Michael Green!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:If you fancy a real giggle, have a look at the Mirror.

Grant Shapps, that well-known internet whizz-kid, hasn't quite managed to tidy up after himself.

According to who.is his personal website, linking to his local constituency party, is owned by - wait for it - Michael Green!
His constituents are going to have him for breakfast. Which is a very cool, local way of handling Mishaps.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

There is a wonderful post from the splendid Simon Duffy today - please read it!

"Austerity and neoliberalism appear to be winning - but they are feeble foes and will be defeated"

http://simonduffy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

And finally - Janice Atkinson has been suspended.

Another UKIPPER bites the dust. This time, it's all about expenses. Or is that again?

Goodnight, all.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ephemerid wrote:And finally - Janice Atkinson has been suspended.

Another UKIPPER bites the dust. This time, it's all about expenses. Or is that again?

Goodnight, all.
Expenses and something she's been recorded as saying at a conference.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Spacedone wrote:

Goodnight, all.
The claim allegedly related to a lunch costing £950 attended by a number of senior Ukip figures during the party’s spring conference in Margate.

The Sun said it had filmed a staff member of Atkinson’s asking for and then accepting an invoice for £3,150 at the restaurant the next day. The newspaper said this would have allowed Atkinson’s office to claim the higher total on expenses from a group funded by the European parliament to boost Ukip’s finances. The Sun said it had passed on details of the incident to Kent police.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ial-nature" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mirror gossip time :
UKIP MEP Janice Atkinson suspended over allegations "of a serious financial nature"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk ... ed-5366211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edit : Tried to delete this "snap" item but wont let me ....
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Thu 19 Mar, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, all.
G'night, Ephemerid.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Evening.
Someone, CitizenJA I think, earlier speculated about Rachel Reeves manner & whether she was masking an autistic spectrum issue.
Imagine my surprise when I read New Scientist this evening.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... QszHhiQGrU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

refitman wrote:
Spacedone wrote:

Goodnight, all.
The claim allegedly related to a lunch costing £950 attended by a number of senior Ukip figures during the party’s spring conference in Margate.

The Sun said it had filmed a staff member of Atkinson’s asking for and then accepting an invoice for £3,150 at the restaurant the next day. The newspaper said this would have allowed Atkinson’s office to claim the higher total on expenses from a group funded by the European parliament to boost Ukip’s finances. The Sun said it had passed on details of the incident to Kent police.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ial-nature" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That'll teach me for repeating something I'd heard someone else say without checking it first... :smack:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:If you fancy a real giggle, have a look at the Mirror.

I think that young man has a real problem separating the truth from fiction.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Evening.
Someone, CitizenJA I think, earlier speculated about Rachel Reeves manner & whether she was masking an autistic spectrum issue.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... QszHhiQGrU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was me thinking out loud last night :)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Evening.

My granddaughter was told she was 'growing' out of her autism by one doctor. And that she might even have been misdiagnosed which is absolute rubbish as she's had to attend a special school and was diagnosed when she was 3. Although she has mild autism it's clear she has problems, but she has improved no end over the years, and is proof that girls especially do manage to adjust.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This is beginning to stink - Paxman? :fire:

Cameron And Miliband Interviews: Audience Wanted
http://news.sky.com/story/1448559/camer ... nce-wanted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Watching the News at Ten and he said that "We've now got debt as share of national income falling"

No you bloody haven't!

When is someone going to say "But that's not true Chancellor"?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Just looking round the finance stories and it seems the risk of serious deflation is with us!