Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd March 2015 -

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd March 2015 -

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Gareth Snell retweeted

General Election ‏@UKELECTIONS2015 · 1m1 minute ago
Survation Polling

Aged 18-34 (55+)

LABOUR 51% (26%)
CONSERVATIVES 22% (39%)
UKIP 10% (18%)
GREEN 6% (1%)
LIBDEMS 4% (9%)
SNP 3% (5%)
Apologies but what does this mean, please? Is that weighting percentages?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:

Survation Polling

Aged 18-34 (55+)

LABOUR 51% (26%)
CONSERVATIVES 22% (39%)
UKIP 10% (18%)
GREEN 6% (1%)
LIBDEMS 4% (9%)
SNP 3% (5%)
I think it means that the former percentages relate to those 18-34, the latter to those 55+.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

citizenJA wrote:

Survation Polling

Aged 18-34 (55+)

LABOUR 51% (26%)
CONSERVATIVES 22% (39%)
UKIP 10% (18%)
GREEN 6% (1%)
LIBDEMS 4% (9%)
SNP 3% (5%)
I assume the first number is for 18-34 and the second for 55+ group.

However the figures are meaningless because you cannot use the cross-breaks in an opinion poll to tell you anything significant. Samples are too small and weighting off.

It really tells me that nobody who tweeted it has a clue.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jon Trickett retweeted
George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 5 mins5 minutes ago

No sign of the clear Budget bounce the Tories were hoping for. Ahead in Opinium, behind in Populus, Survation and tonight's YouGov.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

What on earth is this?

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, for the explanation.
We'll know 46 days from now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:What on earth is this?

[img]CApvp5bWgAAtZGs.jpg[/img]
Well, shit, looks a right scandal.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The Metropolitan Police Paedophile Unit confirmed this week to me personally that there was indeed a government and Carlton Television conspiracy over the Kengate Tapes. The police confirmed that Ian Greer along with Carlton Television conspired to cover up the “Cash for Questions” scandal for John Major’s government back in 1994. So the Prime Minster David Cameron covered up a scandal of paedophilia in 1994 as a corporate “sleaze fixer” for Carlton Television, on behalf of John Major’s Conservative Government, through Ian Greer.

http://breakingdownthnews.blogspot.co.u ... ed-in.html
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
The Metropolitan Police Paedophile Unit confirmed this week to me personally that there was indeed a government and Carlton Television conspiracy over the Kengate Tapes. The police confirmed that Ian Greer along with Carlton Television conspired to cover up the “Cash for Questions” scandal for John Major’s government back in 1994. So the Prime Minster David Cameron covered up a scandal of paedophilia in 1994 as a corporate “sleaze fixer” for Carlton Television, on behalf of John Major’s Conservative Government, through Ian Greer.

Can we look forward to an arrest?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Afzal Amin apparently up to no good in Dudley...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Worth a read through SchoolDuggery's tweets about Grindon Hall accounts...that's the twin of the Durham free School which closes ina week or so.

https://twitter.com/SchoolDuggery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK Education Matters @SchoolDuggery · 10h 10 hours ago
Um, so what did the finance committee actually discuss, if not performance against budget? Accounts filed, late btw

Well quite.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:

Bloody hell, ohso. I'd have to research the source more before coming to any firm conclusions but it does read with some measure of credibility. I've always thought that May has been deliberately holding things up and for more than Brittan's demise. AnnaConda once pertained to a completely different conspiracy theory regarding Cameron and Maggie in the other place. Blair too and others for that matter. if you followed the source. I won't say any more on that, but needless to say that thread was moderated away.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Can we look forward to an arrest?
Probably not.
All sounded plausible until the end where it says the Queen is planning to abdicate so that Charlie takes the throne and when King can't be questioned.
I found that particular bit hard to swallow.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:What on earth is this?

Exposed: Star Tory candidate plotted with race thugs to stage fake EDL demo in cynical bid to win votes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... votes.html
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Exclusive: Grant Shapps’ most embarrassing website yet

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/03/g ... ael-green/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He has photo's of himself (as Michael Green that is) on it... :smack:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:

To me that looks a bit tin foil hat...when articles start citing Bilderberg that's when I start to switch off I'm afraid.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:Exclusive: Grant Shapps’ most embarrassing website yet

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/03/g ... ael-green/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He has photo's of himself (as Michael Green that is) on it... :smack:
Honest. He's a congenital liar and can't separate his lies from the truth....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

To me that looks a bit tin foil hat...when articles start citing Bilderberg that's when I start to switch off I'm afraid.
I think there's truth mixed in with a dash of over imagination.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

At 6pm on Saturday, after Prime Minister David Cameron promised ‘swift, decisive action’ on the allegation, Tory Party chairman Grant Shapps suspended Amin from the party, pending an investigation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3V3u8Ityn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[My bold]
Sorry but that strikes me as so funny....
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

So I take it that the Tories just lost any hope of winning their 9th target seat...
That will... bring the English Defence League out of the shadows into the mainstream political debate.

…And if I win my election in Parliament, you’ve got a very strong, unshakeable ally who is going to work hard to get you involved in all the institutions of the State and get you the exposure you need and the people in Parliament need to us... Like I said from the very beginning, 95 per cent of what you want to campaign against, we’re with you.
Wow. Just wow.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Spacedone wrote:So I take it that the Tories just lost any hope of winning their 9th target seat...
That will... bring the English Defence League out of the shadows into the mainstream political debate.

…And if I win my election in Parliament, you’ve got a very strong, unshakeable ally who is going to work hard to get you involved in all the institutions of the State and get you the exposure you need and the people in Parliament need to us... Like I said from the very beginning, 95 per cent of what you want to campaign against, we’re with you.
Wow. Just wow.
Jesus, when The Daily Mail is standing up for truth and justice you know the country is fucked.

That actually is unbelievable. It has to be one of the great political scandals. WTF was his agent and chairman doing?

UKIP have nothing on the modern Tory party it seems. Compared to this a few quid of fraudulent expense claim is nothing.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Huw Irranca-Davies retweeted
General Election ‏@UKELECTIONS2015 43 mins43 minutes ago
Latest Live prediction from Electoral Calculus

LAB 294
CON 275
SNP 46
LD 12
PC 3
UKIP 1
GRN 1
NI 18
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

utopiandreams wrote:I'm currently watching Selling Off Britain by Will Hutton on Channel 4+1. Worth it, so far anyway, he seems to think as I (in this regard anyway I don't really know anything of him). I expect it'll be on 4oD.

Edit: a typo whilst here but really to add that SH was right about me after all. Call it a case of confirmation bias.
I thought it was worth watching, too. Interesting to hear about the way that the company Welsh Water was set up in its constitution, too. I learnt stuff I didn't know from the whole programme.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Allegations regarding Afzal Amin of 'stirring up racial tensions' and conspiring with the EDL. He's the Tory Candidate for the marginal seat of Dudley North but has been instantly suspended. Just seen this on BBC News - the story is from 'a Daily Mail investigation.'

Edit to add (again) I've been pipped to the post, yet again, by Tubby Isaacs and others...
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Sun 22 Mar, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

LadyCentauria wrote:Allegations regarding Afzal Amin of 'stirring up racial tensions' and conspiring with the EDL. He's the Tory Candidate for the marginal seat of Dudley North but has been instantly suspended. Just seen this on BBC News - the story is from 'a Daily Mail investigation.'
Its up there /\ with a piccy of the front page spread on it :D
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

StephenDolan wrote:
diGriz wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:So this Cameron and Miliband only non-debate, do we know who goes 'first'?
Does it matter? Cameron's input is probably already scripted.
One of my concerns is Cameron going second and attempting to attack Miliband's statements without the 'adjudicator' stepping in.
The one who's going second should have to sit in a clear sound-proof box with a blindfold on and headphones playing music like used to happen on a quiz programme I can't remember the name of. Hmm. Was it Mr & Mrs?

Edit to add Snap, Tish! You got there first but great minds and all that ;)
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Sat 21 Mar, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

General election 2015: David Cameron supporters told to form 'praetorian guard' to shield him from the axe if Conservatives lose

At least two 1922 Committee members are planning to remove David Cameron from leadership if Labour wins. Loyalists are being told to form a “grassroots movement” to back him up via the airwaves prior to the meeting, according to The Guardian.

The 1922 Committee executive talks, planned for the Monday after the 7 May polling day, could discuss the immediate resignation of Mr Cameron if Ed Miliband pips him to the post.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 24736.html
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Tory campaign is tonight mired in deeply damaging allegations - Ashworth

Jonathan Ashworth MP, Labour’s Shadow Cabinet Office Minister, responding to the suspension of Tory candidate Afzal Amin, said:

"Decent people in politics share the wide consensus that the EDL are quite simply despicable. These allegations regarding such a senior Conservative Party figure in Afzal Amin are quite simply jaw dropping.

“Given these allegations the Tory Party should take immediate steps to suspend Mr Amin from membership.

“What’s more the Tory Party must also investigate who else might have been involved.

“The Tory campaign is tonight mired in deeply damaging allegations, such as those against Mr Amin and the ongoing controversy surrounding Tory Chairman Grant Shapps. As the Tories turn in on themselves, beset by problems of their own making, only Labour has a better plan for a better future.”

MARCH 21, 2015 (11:37 PM)
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1142603 ... -in-deeply" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
General election 2015: David Cameron supporters told to form 'praetorian guard' to shield him from the axe if Conservatives lose

At least two 1922 Committee members are planning to remove David Cameron from leadership if Labour wins. Loyalists are being told to form a “grassroots movement” to back him up via the airwaves prior to the meeting, according to The Guardian.

The 1922 Committee executive talks, planned for the Monday after the 7 May polling day, could discuss the immediate resignation of Mr Cameron if Ed Miliband pips him to the post.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 24736.html
The Guardian had that on Friday evening: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -unseating

Are the newspapers all copying each other more than before or I am just imagining that?
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

You know no-one will tell us where the benefits cuts will fall? Well how how about this: We all unlock our pensions, then if we fall on hard times because of "austerity", we have funds if we are between 55 and 67. There must be well over Gideon's £30 billion there.

No other explanation.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

51A wrote:You know no-one will tell us where the benefits cuts will fall? Well how how about this: We all unlock our pensions, then if we fall on hard times because of "austerity", we have funds if we are between 55 and 67. There must be well over Gideon's £30 billion there.

No other explanation.
And, if you've already spent it all, they declare that what you spent it on was not 'reasonable for a person in your circumstances', invoke Deprivation of Capital rules so you're treated as still having the money you haven't got anymore and get a nil benefit award for Income Based benefits...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

good-morning
I'll get some sleep now
what shenanigans are afoot...
it'll probably end well
love
cJA
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Ed Miliband unveils offensive linking SNP to Tories
The dossier, which is to be sent to households as a leaflet, contains an analysis of voting by the House of Commons library showing that, between 2001 and 2005, when the SNP and Tories both voted they went into the same division lobby 64 per cent of the time. The figure increased between 2005 and 2010, the period of the last Labour government, when the Tories and SNP voted together 71 per cent of the time.

Crucially, the numbers are higher for Budget and finance votes with the SNP voting with the Tories 68 per cent of the time 2001 to 2005 and 88 per cent between 2005 and 2010.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3725108
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight sweet cJA – enjoy beautiful dreams and waken refreshed x
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

LadyCentauria wrote:
51A wrote:You know no-one will tell us where the benefits cuts will fall? Well how how about this: We all unlock our pensions, then if we fall on hard times because of "austerity", we have funds if we are between 55 and 67. There must be well over Gideon's £30 billion there.

No other explanation.
And, if you've already spent it all, they declare that what you spent it on was not 'reasonable for a person in your circumstances', invoke Deprivation of Capital rules so you're treated as still having the money you haven't got anymore and get a nil benefit award for Income Based benefits...
Not only that, even if we haven't spent it or unlocked it, it is "available". So yes, another "no" to any claim for benefits.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
Ed Miliband unveils offensive linking SNP to Tories
The dossier, which is to be sent to households as a leaflet, contains an analysis of voting by the House of Commons library showing that, between 2001 and 2005, when the SNP and Tories both voted they went into the same division lobby 64 per cent of the time. The figure increased between 2005 and 2010, the period of the last Labour government, when the Tories and SNP voted together 71 per cent of the time.

Crucially, the numbers are higher for Budget and finance votes with the SNP voting with the Tories 68 per cent of the time 2001 to 2005 and 88 per cent between 2005 and 2010.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3725108
I don't think it's useful to discourage the Scots. On they whole they are socialist, it might take some a while to come back to Labour but I don't think it's useful right now to shout at those that wanted independence. Can't blame them for wanting that, a quiet word would be much better. It's easy for those who live in England (as I did most of my life) to think it is the UK, it's not, you know.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

The Observer View on the Budget begins with:
The red box George Osborne brandished on the steps of the Treasury for the last time before the general election did not just contain a budget. Nestled underneath the figures and projections lay a manifesto: a manifesto for a more divided and less humane Britain.
Carries on to rip into the Chancellor's figures and claims. Suggests what a government which cared about the low-paid would do. And concludes:
Debates about budgets are too often conducted in the dry currency of figures, rather than people’s lives. But read between the numbers and the projections, and a clear message emerges from the Conservatives. It is this: if you are a care worker paid below minimum wage on a zero-hours contract and you can’t earn enough to support your children, you’re on your own. If you’ve got a child with behavioural problems on the point of being excluded from school, you’ll need to deal with that yourself. If you’re old and frail, we’ll expect you to wait until you’ve broken your hip before you get any help.

This is what Cameron and Osborne must be judged on going into the election: not a glossy manifesto filled with rhetoric about hard-working families and giving young people a step up. But the reality of the harsher, meaner Britain their budget would produce.
The whole article is worth a read.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Anyway I didn't respond to ephemerid's fourteen years of sobriety and I should have; she deserves every congratulation.

Edit: enough self-publicity for one day. There are some who know me by my moniker, besides I don't even attempt to hide my identity in the email address I use. It's just one that can handle a bit of spam. After nearly a full bottle of Scotch, it's somewhat surprising I didn't sign off by telling you how much I love you. 'And that really is not a dig at anybody else by the way. :) There I've even used a smiley.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sun 22 Mar, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

@utopiandreams: I hope you got some sleep - deep and no remembered dreams unless they're good ones!
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Sun 22 Mar, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Just seen the Afzal Amin story - interesting that the Mail splashes on it, but not to be seen in the Telegraph. mail coming out for UKIP, or just different print deadlines (although not on website either). So we have a Tory engineering a crisis so that he can use it as an excuse to bring in an ideological solution and take the credit. Sounds like Universal credit, free schools, the NHS and frankly the economy.
One weird thing, though, is that I'm sure I read that Tommy "Sean Lennon" Robinson had left the EDL because he wasn't happy with the way it was going. Did he go back, or did Amin just not know this and look him up on the internet?

Re: the debates. This could work well. If all the "Challengers" get together and agree beforehand that they will not interrupt each other when attacking the Tories, and try to conduct themselves in a civil way to show that they can work together whilst disagreeing, it could turn the tide in a few marginal constituencies.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

So how did George Osborne the failure become the people’s favourite?

http://gu.com/p/46p8q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'The make it up as you go along chancellor'. Quite.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3h3 hours ago

YouGov S Times poll detail with changes on Thurs night
CON 33 (-2)
LAB 35 (+2)
LD 8 (-)
UKIP 14 (+1)
GN 5 (-1)
Well that poll bounce didn't last long did it? Four polls yesterday (I think) and the only one that looked positive for the Tories was the one done by Opinium/Observer because the fieldwork was done before any real analysis of the Budget.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Afzal Amin suspended: Tory election candidate for Dudley North suspended over alleged plot to stage fake EDL demonstration outside mosque
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 25388.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Afzal Amin not really helping himself by trying to claim that the Mail On Sunday are quoting him out of context. I've listened to the audio recording and it's pretty hard to see it as anything other than what the Mail have said it is.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

' This is the famous “productivity puzzle”. Exactly why the UK’s productivity since the crisis has been so poor is unclear. Some argue that the UK’s poor productivity since the crisis is a structural supply-side problem (and therefore permanent), while others argue that there is an important cyclical, demand-driven component (and therefore temporary).

CEP’s researchers think it is very unlikely that structural supply-side problems are the sole cause:

The idea of a long-term global productivity slowdown (Gordon, 2014) is simply not credible and reflects the same intellectual malaise felt after the Great Depression that global innovation was slowing.

They also dismiss the notion that the UK’s pre-crisis productivity growth was abnormally high due to a finance ‘bubble’, pointing out that between 1997 and 2007, finance contributed only 0.4% of the annual 2.8% growth in market sector output per hour (Corry et al, 2011). '
http://www.pieria.co.uk/articles/produc ... _challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Sounds like Marr is worth avoiding today... Farage, Salmond and Anna Soubry.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

The Daily Telegraph prove they are once again clueless about opinion polls.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... abour.html

1. The Wisdom Index is not an opinion poll, it is a request to guess the election outcome.

2. See previous notes about analysing cross breaks.

These idiots made it the top story because they are too stupid to understand the basics.

We are because of the increase in women thinking the Tories will win, now scheduled for a "moderate Tory surge".

Not so much grasping at straws as praying for a haystack.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Tories revive Thatcher’s right-to-buy
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new ... 2015_03_21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't see the full story but this bit caught my eye.
Under plans to be announced next month, the Conservatives are also set to order councils to sell off big expensive council houses to pay for a larger number of cheaper homes.
Ah... those would be the 'big expensive homes' that councils can't fill because nobody wants to pay the big expensive Bedroom Tax?

Have a big family? Tough, no social housing for you.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Spacedone wrote:Sounds like Marr is worth avoiding today... Farage, Salmond and Anna Soubry.

That is a indeed a line up to avoid, Salmond no doubt is peddling his book, I have read a few hilarious reviews of it, one anedoct recalls him comforting a crying young mother who is distressed as she was unsure of which way to vote, his diary went along the lines of "I convinced her to vote yes, but how can I convince every young mother, father, do I have it in me?"

He should have handed her a Solero and be done with it.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Spacedone wrote:Tories revive Thatcher’s right-to-buy
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new ... 2015_03_21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't see the full story but this bit caught my eye.
Under plans to be announced next month, the Conservatives are also set to order councils to sell off big expensive council houses to pay for a larger number of cheaper homes.
Ah... those would be the 'big expensive homes' that councils can't fill because nobody wants to pay the big expensive Bedroom Tax?

Have a big family? Tough, no social housing for you.

I'd like "big expensive homes" to bed defined first, a three bedroom in London could come under that.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

More evidence of Tory/Lib two face-ry.

''Ministers block move to lift Official Secrets Act to help expose #VIPaedophile cover-ups.''
http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5529/ ... sa-scandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;