Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd March 2015 -

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd March 2015 -

Post by AngryAsWell »

"Because every campaign needs cake: with @NazShahBfd #naz4bfdwest "
I love that she has a clothes drying rack on the ceiling - not seen one of those since I was little. :lol:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ephemerid wrote:This business about Farridge and his family.

Perhaps the protesters made a mistake - but I had to laugh at some of pictures I've seen on Twitter. There's one with a bunch of women and men with their jumpers pulled up and large baby dolls attached to their chests, and they're all having a good laugh.

What I find odd is that somehow the 2 children left/ran away/got lost/whatever, and Mr.& Mrs.F get into their car and tootle off; then apparently a relative "found" them and brought them home. I suspect that the kids went out the back way with the relative and were perfectly OK all the time.
If they ran away, why the hell didn't their parents follow them? It's all a bit peculiar.

Less odd is the Heil's reportage - all those terrible protesters. Gay and disabled people....heaven forfend some of them could have been both!
The breastfeeders, of course, were only pretending. The only omission in their catalogue of undesirables is people called Miliband.
Farage * has previous, of course; nasty rough Scottish people had him scurrying for his car, as did the guy who egged him in Nottingham - if he can't take a little heat like this then how does he expect to make the tough decisions when he becomes PM? ** The Nottingham incident resulted in a prosecution, in marked contrast to the similar incident experienced by Ed Miliband on East St Market a couple of years back; Ed took off his jacket, handed it to one of his helpers & carried on with the walk about and then made sure to speak to the Police afterward to ensure no action is taken. Partisan I may be, but I think that illustrates which of these two is the better man.

* Thank you Mark Thomas, I always have your definition in my head now.
** In his dreams, and in my nightmares.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

AngryAsWell wrote:"Because every campaign needs cake: with @NazShahBfd #naz4bfdwest "
I love that she has a clothes drying rack on the ceiling - not seen one of those since I was little. :lol:

That's just given me a great idea for my flat.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:"Because every campaign needs cake: with @NazShahBfd #naz4bfdwest "

We had one of those! Essential for drying clothes in the winter...and before central heating.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
The Curzon Institute is an internationally focussed, non-partisan organisation founded by defence and security analysts, social scientists, historians and educationalists which provides a range of services to policymakers and practitioners within the UK and the European Union.

http://www.curzoninstitute.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill or Tubby Isaacs? Any word on the Curzon Institute contracts in education? Are they involved with Free schools (Academies)?
Afzal Amin
Projects Advisor

He joins the Curzon Team as an advisor on specific projects supporting community cohesion in the UK and international stabilisation and development.

http://www.curzoninstitute.org/aamin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nope, haven't come across them at all.

I guess they might be rethinking their relationship with Mr Amin now...
(my edit of my original post for ease of reading)

I've written not many days ago current government have destroyed satire. The Tory media machine, the men & women in the party supporting current government have fundamentally lost their sense of proportion, they're not interested in the job of representing the people who've a right to be competently led by these well compensated people seeking public service positions. It's so nakedly about their own ego gratification. Dave has made himself ridiculous now & historically by his shameless, obvious running away from his duties. Amin seems to be enamoured with the though of playing at heroism not living it. What a waste.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Spacedone wrote:

That's just given me a great idea for my flat.
Has to be on a pully......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/11162058 ... 0&ff14=108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ RobertSnozers

I think a lot of people "don't like" Alex Salmond to the point where they wouldn't want him having a finger in their affairs (that sounds vaguely obscene - but it's late so I'll have to go with it). How much that will translate into some kneejerk reaction against a party they're told will be relying on his (AS) support is a bit of an unknown. But I think it's something that has to be treated with caution - ie has to be defused (perhaps only subtly) and not ignored. Sorry - a bit of a ramble. I'll try to articulate it better tomorrow.

Goodnight, everyone.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

We had one of those! Essential for drying clothes in the winter...and before central heating.
I still have one in my garage :roll:

I can't think of a more hopeless place to put one, who knows if it was ever used by the previous owners. One day I may take it out.
Release the Guardvarks.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

PorFavor wrote:@ RobertSnozers

I think a lot of people "don't like" Alex Salmond to the point where they wouldn't want him having a finger in their affairs (that sounds vaguely obscene - but it's late so I'll have to go with it). How much that will translate into some kneejerk reaction against a party they're told will be relying on his (AS) support is a bit of an unknown. But I think it's something that has to be treated with caution - ie has to be defused (perhaps only subtly) and not ignored. Sorry - a bit of a ramble. I'll try to articulate it better tomorrow.

Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

You can get them here :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

"Anti-Ukip protesters deny scaring Nigel Farage's children"
Protesters say kids were not there, its a bit of a mess either way for him, if they weren't there he looks a plonker for telling porkies, but if they were there and he left them behind he looks really negligent and a terrible parent, or if he felt safe leaving the kids because the protest was not as rowdy as he made out - he looks an even bigger plonker.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-03- ... -children/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulRutherford8
Backbencher

Post by PaulRutherford8 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:RogerOThornhill or Tubby Isaacs? Any word on the Curzon Institute contracts in education? Are they involved with Free schools (Academies)?
Might be wrong but in the back of my (admittedly small) mind I seem to recall Sayeeda Warsi giving the a government grant at some point. Or am I mixed up ?
Nope not mixed up - brain sharper than I thought
"Labour sniping at backing for charity – just because a Tory candidate is involved"

http://www.conservativehome.com/localgo ... olved.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi all, this is my first post, so hope it works and also is the information you were looking for?
From the Daily Express, 19 Jan, 2014: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/454787 ... cture-deal
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Hi, PembsPaul :)

Welcome to the nest. Make yourself at home.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:RogerOThornhill or Tubby Isaacs? Any word on the Curzon Institute contracts in education? Are they involved with Free schools (Academies)?

Might be wrong but in the back of my (admittedly small) mind I seem to recall Sayeeda Warsi giving the a government grant at some point. Or am I mixed up ?

Nope not mixed up - brain sharper than I thought
"Labour sniping at backing for charity – just because a Tory candidate is involved"

http://www.conservativehome.com/localgo ... olved.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think Conservative home is welcoming new comments under that article, AAW.
Tory MP asks Charity Commission to investigate think tank IPPR2
Governance | Vibeka Mair | 20 Jun 2014

Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke has sent a complaint about charitable think tank the IPPR to the Charity Commission, saying a report it produced is essentially a “donation in kind” to the Labour Party.

This week Labour Leader Ed Miliband gave a speech to launch IPPR’s new report entitled the ‘Condition of Britain’.
Speaking to Civil Society News, Elphicke said: "It is vital that charities uphold their commitment not to support political parties - and by doing work for the Labour party the IPPR has essentially made a donation in kind. This needs to be investigated so that we can protect the public's trust in the independence of the charitable sector."

An IPPR spokesman said his organisation was completely independent of any political party.
“We have not been commissioned by any political party and our work is freely available to members of all parties and the wider public," he said. "Just last week we hosted an event with Conservative Minister Greg Barker and earlier this year hosted Liberal Democrat Minister Ed Davey.”

http://www.civilsociety.co.uk/governanc ... _tank_ippr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What was the name of the hostile Tory advising charities to stick to knitting - especially when those charities have the temerity to call for a halt to his government's actions? I've got a name for him but it's one he'd like people calling him.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

You've got a bullying & intimidation problem, Tories, stop doing it.
PaulRutherford8
Backbencher

Post by PaulRutherford8 »

daydreamer wrote:Hi, PembsPaul :)

Appreciated, thanks.. it was a fortuitous tweet earlier today by ephemerid that brought me along.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PembsPaul, welcome! :rock:

Thank you for the link!
I'll put the kettle on.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PembsPaul wrote:

Appreciated, thanks.. it was a fortuitous tweet earlier today by ephemerid that brought me along.
Ephemerid :rock:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PemsPaul said : Hi all, this is my first post, so hope it works and also is the information you were looking for?
From the Daily Express, 19 Jan, 2014: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/454787 ... cture-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes! that the one thank you :)
Welcome, nice to see you here, have a cake or a beer - or both )
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, PF
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

You got central heating?
I left the tumble dryer in the last place I lived.
I miss it so.
We've not been able to get on with the wind turbine installations or make much progress with solar panel insulation here (Midlands) so it's probably for the best - cost a fortune to run.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I don't think people in England care much about Alex Salmond one way or the other, not enough to change their vote...handy of the tories, though, to remind Scottish waverers that voting for Labour is the same as voting SNP! They are such clever people, aren't they? Vastly superior to the rest of us.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

citizenJA wrote:
PembsPaul wrote:

Ephemerid :rock:
Ephie, totally :rock:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Pembs Paul - I ate all the cake yesterday. Sorry (not)

Still, I'm sure someone will rustle up a sarnie.

Those pulley things are called "Sheila Maids". We had one when I was little.

We also had a wooden clothes horse that we put in front of the fire. My jumpers always smelt of coal.

I suspect Victoria Whosis would like a nice coal fire. She's very worried about renewable energy running out, love her.

I'm going to bed now. I've had a lovely weekend. Thanks to you lot and many others. I'm a very lucky woman. Nighty night.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re Curzon Education - I can't see anything obvious on the latest Free School opening list so assume that they haven#'t been successful or if they have they're hiding it under another name.

Mr Amin looks like he's the only director.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/08631 ... ecretaries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Paul Golding ‏@PaulGoldingBF · 6h6 hours ago
BRITAIN FIRST IS GOING TO HUNT DOWN THE LEFTWING THUGS RESPONSIBLE FOR ATTACKING NIGEL FARAGE AND HIS FAMILY....
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2015-0 ... -kent-pub/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
:rofl:

Hi Pembs Paul, welcome to the merry throng.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

You got central heating?
I miss it so.
We've not been able to get on with the wind turbine installations or make much progress with solar panel insulation here (Midlands) so it's probably for the best - cost a fortune to run.
Sorry, a bit misleading - the clothes rack was in the house I grew up in. I'd say we got rid in the early 70s when the kitchen was done. I remember having to clean the tiles on my mum's suspended ceiling once and the stuff for the drier was still attached to the ceiling above.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Re Curzon Education - I can't see anything obvious on the latest Free School opening list so assume that they haven#'t been successful or if they have they're hiding it under another name.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/08631 ... ecretaries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not a school RoT, think it was to do with anit-radicalisation programs
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Re Curzon Education - I can't see anything obvious on the latest Free School opening list so assume that they haven#'t been successful or if they have they're hiding it under another name.

That Express article said that they were putting in a Free School bid which is why I looked.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

That Express article said that they were putting in a Free School bid which is why I looked.
Sorry missed that bit. My bad :?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Welcome to The Haven, JaneL and PembsPaul, and do enjoy yourselves here. Two new people in one day :dance: :clap: :rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: We had one of those! Essential for drying clothes in the winter...and before central heating.
You got central heating?
I miss it so.
Sorry, a bit misleading - the clothes rack was in the house I grew up in. I'd say we got rid in the early 70s when the kitchen was done. I remember having to clean the tiles on my mum's suspended ceiling once and the stuff for the drier was still attached to the ceiling above.
My partner & I have a simple establishment.
Damned inconvenient storage heaters, original kitchen & bathroom fixture from the '70s, must be, no mixer taps.
I'll leave this topic now.

The comment linked below brought my attention to my original post regarding Mr. Amin & the Curzon Institute.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-49296628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JaneL, welcome, I look forward to your posts.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
BRITAIN FIRST IS GOING TO HUNT DOWN THE LEFTWING THUGS RESPONSIBLE FOR ATTACKING NIGEL FARAGE AND HIS FAMILY....
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2015-0 ... -kent-pub/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
'Britain First' are such a delightful bunch of people, aren't they. What do they mean to do when they've hunted the 'leftwing thugs' down, I wonder? Take tea with them? Ask what actually happened at the pub? That tweet comes across as a threat – which I thought was contrary to twitter's T&Cs – but I had a look at the replies and most of them are taking the piss out of BF so there's hope for humanity yet.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

LadyCentauria wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
'Britain First' are such a delightful bunch of people, aren't they. What do they mean to do when they've hunted the 'leftwing thugs' down, I wonder? Take tea with them? Ask what actually happened at the pub? That tweet comes across as a threat – which I thought was contrary to twitter's T&Cs – but I had a look at the replies and most of them are taking the piss out of BF so there's hope for humanity yet.
Kind of Farage's cut price Blackshirts, which is clearly how they are setting themselves up. To be fair to Farage he can't do much about thugs associating themselves with him.
Release the Guardvarks.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

A bit late for economics, I know, but was so surprised to read this in the Guardian (William Keegan) I had to share it:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But back to his rollercoaster timetable. You see the naked politics of this? More damage to the fabric of society would be imposed and then, hey presto, a pre-election boom.

Or not, as the case may be. In common with most people I meet, I have until recently been saddened by the lacklustre public performances of the leader of the opposition. But when he replied to the budget speech, he began to look a lot more impressive. Let us hope that the improvement continues. This government has presided over a dreadful economic policy and does not deserve to be re-elected.
When George Osborne made that Autumn statement, I did wonder if he had single-handedly thrown any chance of a Tory win out of the window. Handing over figures to the OBR that didn't include the doubtless planned VAT rise to 25% which would make the whole thing tick, created the disastrous 1930s soundbite that won't go away. A fudged Coalition budget, with input from Libdems who don't want to be associated with deep cuts going into the election, has now created a "rollercoaster ride" that's jeopardising that economic competence the Tories keep telling us they have. All I can say is that Robert Chote has quite a way with words for an economist!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

He argues that there was “something contemptuous” about David Cameron’s attitude to the TV leader debates, comparing him to a “petulant child who doesn’t want to do his homework coming up with more and more excuses as to why it can’t happen”.

“I kind of half take his point that these leader debates turn into the [campaign’s] main thing and it kind of detracts from the rest,” he says. “But if what you are saying is ‘I don’t want to discuss my politics during a general election campaign to as wide an audience as possible’, then you don’t really deserve to be in politics.”
Armando Iannucci, in this article in the guardian.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Looking like better-than-expected news from France - although it sees Sarkozy at the top of the poll, that's better than the predictions that the FN might win - and in fact despite the first exit polls it's now looking like Hollande's socialist party will beat them into second. A sigh of relief rather than a fist raised in triumph, but it's a start.
I still believe in a town called Hope