Tuesday 24th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 24th March 2015

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest ... l-election

BBC election plans.

''On the night of 7 May, and throughout the day on 8 May, we will be offering comprehensive results and analysis, fronted by the most trusted faces in broadcasting – including David Dimbleby, Huw Edwards, Nick Robinson, Mishal Husain, Victoria Derbyshire, Emily Maitlis, Evan Davis, John Humphrys, Eddie Mair, Jeremy Vine, Sophie Raworth, Nicky Campbell, Laura Kuenssberg and Andrew Neil''

Dimbeleby - Tory.
Nick Robinson - Tory.
Jeremy Vine - Tory type whose 10 year old daughter is a shareholder in a company to err....help...his tax affairs.
Laura Kuenssberg - Guido Fawkes favourite political correspondent.
Emily 'my husband's a banker' Maitliss.
Andrew Neil - Tory.
Evan Davies - right wing Liberal, probably Tory now they've adopted gay marriage.
John Humphreys - well, what can you say ?

Mishcal Hussein seems fairly neutral.
Some here like Eddie Mair .
Huw Edwards - quotes Lloyd George as his political hero, his historian dad was Plaid.

BBC 'neutrality' :roll:
Last edited by yahyah on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:Why Cameron being heckled by pensioners is very bad news for Ed Miliband....

Quick question, if you could only recommend 2/3 people to follow regarding politics on Twitter, who would it be? Your good selves and FTN are included automatically :wink:

Can I add to that: which political blogs would you recommend ?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

StephenDolan wrote:Why Cameron being heckled by pensioners is very bad news for Ed Miliband....

Quick question, if you could only recommend 2/3 people to follow regarding politics on Twitter, who would it be? Your good selves and FTN are included automatically :wink:
Cor blimey, you don't 'alf ask some tricky questions ! :lol:

Fraser Nelson, Danny Blanchflower, Isabel Hardman (can be a bit 'gossipy' though), Jim Waterson, Whippersnapper & George Eaton are some I have on my list.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Pensioners mock David Cameron at Age UK conference
Audience heckles prime minister as he defends NHS policy and laughs when he tries to explain his announcement that he will not seek to serve third term

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... erence-nhs
The video leading the article is nearly five minutes long.
Brilliant.

edited to add
I spoke too soon about the video on the G; it;s differently presented than the other link. Dave talked without my being able to hear the audience though hands were up wanting to be able to question Dave, that didn't happen in either, Dave didn't adequately answer questions from the audience - also missing from the G video was Dave fouling up & getting corrected. He wasn't the only party leader going to show up to speak & listen, Dave.
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Citizen JA@

Watch the Telegraph video Stephen linked above - much more in it than that one.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear...have a read of the comments.

Toby Young
‏@toadmeister
Looks like the @AgeConcern event was hijacked by Labour. There's going to be a lot of this in the next six-and-half weeks #GE2015

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/ ... 2678618112

:D

What a berk.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Citizen JA@

Watch the Telegraph video Stephen linked above - much more in it than that one.
Oh, thank you! There's more.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
adam wrote:Cameron getting a tough time at the Age UK Conference he's speaking at… "…and this is the group the government has insulated from austerity"
Only those who can afford to contribute to their own social care. Many older people have been hit quite hard by cuts to local authority budgets, but mostly the poorer and more vulnerable ones
Agree. One of the money guys on Twitter said the value of money has dropped alarmingly. Ten thousand pounds from 2010 is only worth just over eight thousand now. And that you need £151,000 to make a thousand pounds a year in an accessible interest account. It's why so many are investing in property if possible.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

"It's been great fun being with you"? (David Cameron addressing the Age UK event).

Did he hand out "Crackerjack!" pencils as well?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
adam wrote:Cameron getting a tough time at the Age UK Conference he's speaking at… "…and this is the group the government has insulated from austerity"
Only those who can afford to contribute to their own social care. Many older people have been hit quite hard by cuts to local authority budgets, but mostly the poorer and more vulnerable ones
Agree. One of the money guys on Twitter said the value of money has dropped alarmingly. Ten thousand pounds from 2010 is only worth just over eight thousand now. And that you need £151,000 to make a thousand pounds a year in an accessible interest account. It's why so many are investing in property if possible.

There have also been big price increases to some council services.

My council, Ceredigion, increased the cost of collection of a bag of garden waste from 50 pence in 2013 to £1.10 now.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

RobertSnozers wrote:... I believe Lansley thought he knew what he was doing, whereas he didn't stop to realise the depth of his ignorance... .
As I say, he was misguided but look where he sought his advice.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Age UK
We call for all candidates to strive to transform Britain into a great place to grow older for all #VoteLaterLife
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Cameron's body language in that AgeUK thing was very telling.

Feet planted apart in a very combative stance, and a lot of palms-down "shushing" gestures - all very bossy. He's also taken to gesturing with his palms out and his fingers spread - it's a "stop" sign the way he does it. Like - stop, be quiet, listen to me.
Clinton used to do it all the time, but with loose shoulders almost as though he was shrugging and saying "who, me?" and he got away with too.
I suspect Cameron has been told to stop pointing; that's his usual thing. Or counting off on his fingers.

I am looking forward to Free Speech tonight. I wonder if Grant V. Shapps/whoever will be called away at the last minute? I hope those youngsters make mincemeat out of whichever poor sap gets the gig. Popcorn at the ready!

Meanwhile, on Planet DWP - article in the Independent about IDS and his continuing refusal (years now, it is) to meet with Trussell Trust.
But fret not, my fledglings!
He had a meeting with J.P.Morgan's instead. Investment bwankers know soooooo much about child poverty, as we all acknowledge.

DWP ubiquitous spokesthing claimed that they meet with TT and others all the time. Of course they do.

And pointed out that this government signposted people to "these services" for the first time......neglecting to mention that the JC staff were told not to refer anyone ever and when that news came out with it came copies of (previously hidden) guidance for staff on how to refer people so that they could avoid giving them any dosh from the hardship or social funds.

What IDS and his wrecking crew know perfectly well is that under Labour jobcentres were not allowed to advertise food banks because they were expected to offer crisis loans to people who were in temporary trouble - especially if it was due to DWP delays.

On TobyJugFeatures - if that event really was "hijacked by Labour" then perhaps the older voters who used to be Tories are seeing the light.
Personally, I suspect that Cameron was expecting sweet little old ladies like Miss Genteel of Chipping Whatnot and lots of very polite nodding.
All terribly civilised.
Being an arrogant twunt, he had no idea that the people who volunteer for (and use the services of) AgeUK are people who are witnessing (or experiencing) problems in the NHS and social care; have children who are struggling on low pay; and have grandchildren who can't afford to go to university or can't find work.

Absolutely clueless.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

deleted as accidentally reposted when editing.
Last edited by yahyah on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Alex Salmond has ruled out any type of post-election deal between the SNP and Conservatives.

Current polls show that a Tory-Lib Dem coalition will fall short of a majority. With the SNP ruled out, Cameron would have to form a four-party coalition with the Lib Dems, DUP and Ukip. Never mind a third term, a second term is looking pretty difficult for the prime minister right now. (Andrew Sparrow, Guardian)
He's getting his coat on as we speak . . .

Edited to get the quote box thingy
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Reports that Labour's Liz Kendall got a good reception after Cameron got heckled,
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
Yes, agreed.
From an article regarding the UK inflation rate:
Real terms pay fell for six straight years between 2008 and 2014, as inflation consistently outpaced wage growth.
A commentator responded with the following:
Inflation was running at 3-4% (while housing and utility costs - the biggest spends for poorer households - rocketed far in excess of that) for several years while wages remained stagnant and falling. All of those price rises accumulated during that time are still there, still being paid for out of the pockets of consumers. Prices are not falling. All of which is before we consider the matter of RPI, long the established measure of inflation, which still shows a 1% rate of inflation.
http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/49385000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: Only those who can afford to contribute to their own social care. Many older people have been hit quite hard by cuts to local authority budgets, but mostly the poorer and more vulnerable ones
Yes, agreed.
From an article regarding the UK inflation rate:
Real terms pay fell for six straight years between 2008 and 2014, as inflation consistently outpaced wage growth.
A commentator responded with the following:
Inflation was running at 3-4% (while housing and utility costs - the biggest spends for poorer households - rocketed far in excess of that) for several years while wages remained stagnant and falling. All of those price rises accumulated during that time are still there, still being paid for out of the pockets of consumers. Prices are not falling. All of which is before we consider the matter of RPI, long the established measure of inflation, which still shows a 1% rate of inflation.
http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/49385000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes....The rate of increase is falling, not the actual prices. [I think :lol: ]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ephemerid
Exactly so - I was struck by Dave's gestures as well. When he didn't have both his hands in the Sssshush position, he made both into fists & used with pounding motions. Yikes.

I know what you mean about Clinton's gestures but what he exuded with his gestures was quite a different thing. I was studying political science at University when Clinton was in office. It was as though he were 'laying on hands', in a generally benevolent, jesus-gesture motion, appeasing multitudes. Work & wages were good. Whatever he did wrong we didn't suffer until later - the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act allowing the production of toxic financial products, for example.

edited to correct grammar
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Yahyah
Correct!
I had to think about it for a moment hoping I hadn't messed up my analysis!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Anyone got time to read the latest set of board minutes from the DfE?

I warn you - it'll take at least...ooh...about 5 seconds, maybe less.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... anuary.pdf
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

After David Cameron got heckled, what did Liz Kendall say to Age UK?
Liz Kendall's speech to Age UK - full text

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... say-age-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Not normally a John Crace fan but this is actually funny.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... pensioners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Anyone got time to read the latest set of board minutes from the DfE?

They are allowed to do that ?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

StephenDolan wrote:David Cameron heckled by pensioners at Age UK rally: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:rofl:
I could watch that all day. :lol:

He was really sounding tetchy towards the end, not the sort of tone he should be using with people he expects to vote for him.

The man is a lightweight who has only got through the last 5 years because he's been protected by the media.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ ephemerid

Help me out here, please. At what time is the Free Speech programme? I'd forgotten all about it, so I'm glad you reminded me as I'm expecting it to be a good laugh. Oh - which channel? (Please give truthful answers. No over-firmlies.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Not normally a John Crace fan but this is actually funny.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... pensioners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh, thank you for the John Crace link. That was wonderful. Dave's "naughty favourite nephew cum end of the pier act" was a bit of a disaster, wasn't it?

Edited to add -

As I recall, he didn't answer the question about his 3rd term plans, did he? He waffled on about the first question but ignored the second from the (CH5?) reporter.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Anyone got time to read the latest set of board minutes from the DfE?

They are allowed to do that ?
Apparently so - it's on the government website - and the level of detail (ha!) has actually got worse if you can imagine such a thing.

Wonder if we tried that at my school - do you think the local authority would be impressed? Ofsted certainly wouldn't be.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:

Oh, thank you for the John Crace link. That was wonderful. Dave's "naughty favourite nephew cum end of the pier act" was a bit of a disaster, wasn't it?

Edited to add -

As I recall, he didn't answer the question about his 3rd term plans, did he? He waffled on about the first question but ignored the second from the (CH5?) reporter.
'“No one cares more about old people than me,” Dave again insisted. “Which is why I think it would be wrong to have a cabinet minister for old people. I want every cabinet minister to be responsible for their own old people.” This could have been better phrased. Several members of the audience registered their displeasure by adjusting their hearing aids to send a high pitched-feedback whine through the room.

Dave carried on digging. “I don’t want you to blame other people. I want you to blame me.”

“We are. We do.” Several members of the audience high-fived each other.'
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

PorFavor wrote:@ ephemerid

Help me out here, please. At what time is the Free Speech programme? I'd forgotten all about it, so I'm glad you reminded me as I'm expecting it to be a good laugh. Oh - which channel? (Please give truthful answers. No over-firmlies.)
It looks like Grant Shapps has now pulled out of appearing on it. 'Diary problems'

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/03/g ... tv-debate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter Smith ‏@Redpeter99 1 hr1 hour ago
Grant Shapps cancels #FreeSpeech citing "diary problems." Tory HQ have jammed it under his front door to prevent him leaving the house.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Spacedone wrote:

It looks like Grant Shapps has now pulled out of appearing on it. 'Diary problems'

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/03/g ... tv-debate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You're joking! Has he been turning up at Conservative operational HQ of late, I wonder? I know he was giving it a swerve when the news first broke about his over-firmlies. What a way to run an election.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Spacedone wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:David Cameron heckled by pensioners at Age UK rally: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was really sounding tetchy towards the end, not the sort of tone he should be using with people he expects to vote for him.

The man is a lightweight who has only got through the last 5 years because he's been protected by the media.
He was talking down to them as if they were children. I'm glad they didn't take any of his shit.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Good night all.

& If anyone sees AngryAsWell around the net please tell them they are missed.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

ohsocynical wrote:
Spacedone wrote:

He was talking down to them as if they were children. I'm glad they didn't take any of his shit.
If you watched the BBC 6 O'clock news you would have missed it if you blinked
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ yahyah

Goodnight.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight Yahyah
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Spacedone wrote:

Grant Shapps cancels #FreeSpeech citing "diary problems." Tory HQ have jammed it under his front door to prevent him leaving the house.
Here you go...

Toby Young retweeted
Brendan Miller @brenkjm · 8h 8 hours ago
Cameron has said no to @BBCFreeSpeech tonight. Instead @SamGyimah is representing gov plus @toadmeister @ianbirrell & @TheLuluLife #AskATory

Think I'll give it a miss - I might damage my PC screen and shout at Toady. Not good for the blood pressure.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Spacedone wrote:

Here you go...

Toby Young retweeted
Brendan Miller @brenkjm · 8h 8 hours ago
Cameron has said no to @BBCFreeSpeech tonight. Instead @SamGyimah is representing gov plus @toadmeister @ianbirrell & @TheLuluLife #AskATory

Think I'll give it a miss - I might damage my PC screen and shout at Toady. Not good for the blood pressure.
I think it's a tactical move to put young people off voting.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Trusting that you are amenable to finding a window of opportunity in your hectic schedule, I am as sure as I can be that I believe the filmic magazine item you refer to will be broadcast at 20.00hrs (precisely) on the BBC number 3.

The item is entitled "I'm a Conservative, Ask Me Anything" and you will be reassured to know that Mrs.Corinne Stockheath (of Surrey) has been unable to track down Mr.Shapps, as he is busy driving his sports car (with a refrigerator) to Hatfield on a rescue mission as Mr.Green and Mr.Fox need a little help today.
Hounded from the internet. Those poor gentlemen. And, sadly for his many female aficionados, Mr.Chuck Champion is rarely available in the evening, as this is the optimum time of day for his acclaimed research in "How To Pick Up Women" - and as we all know, there's no keeping a renowned academic in when there's work to do!

May I take this opportunity to remind you that our Prime Minister is a very busy statesman doing very busy statesmanlike things, viz: tough decisions, difficult choices, and recovery from his unexpected mauling at the hands of crazed Labour activists cunningly disguised as sweet little biddable old people. Reprehensible behaviour.
This is why the BBC number 1 would not transmit the offending sequence on the main news - we simply cannot allow this sort of thing, and something will be done "pour decourager les autres" (that's French, that is, paraphrased as only Oxbridge graduates can because of their classical education) and jolly quick I can tell you!

In order to palliate the abject grief the young people will feel at not being able to see their overlord, and on the grounds that nice Mr.Cameron is evidently three times the man others are (as evinced by the unfortunate shirt incident) there will be three people who are "from the spectrum of Conservatives" to answer on his behalf.

I hope that helps, madam.

Although I must say your time would be better spent watching re-runs of Mr.Cameron's very realistic little skit with his old school chum yesterday - what a hero he is, and a sense of humour too!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

citizenJA wrote:Ephemerid
Exactly so - I was struck by Dave's gestures as well. When he didn't have both his hands in the Sssshush position, he made both into fists & used with pounding motions. Yikes.

I know what you mean about Clinton's gestures but what he exuded with his gestures was quite a different thing. I was studying political science at University when Clinton was in office. It was as though he were 'laying on hands', in a generally benevolent, jesus-gesture motion, appeasing multitudes. Work & wages were good. Whatever he did wrong we didn't suffer until later - the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act allowing the production of toxic financial products, for example.

Re.Clinton - I wasn't so much comparing his gestures as contrasting; you are right (and I didn't get that across) he had a gift of being able to appear sincere. Blair tired to do the same was never very good at it.

Do you remember that whole "Aw Shucks" thing he had going on when he had to admit the Lewinsky affair? It was brilliant - he got people on his side (even though he'd been an utter shit) and that takes chutzpah. Or very good training.

I really think that people come across as sincere when they, like, are. That's why, I reckon, so many people think better of Miliband when they actually meet him and he's not under pressure (like a big speech, say)

Talking of "Jesus" moments - Cameron at the end of his speech to conference did that. It had me choking with laughter.
It was like Michael Jackson doing "Earth Song" - I was waiting for Jarvis Cocker to turn up and flash his arse at him.

Now that I'd pay serious money to see. Well, if I had any....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A Letter From the Chair of the UK Statistics Authority, Sir Andrew Dilnot CBE to Rt. Hon. Ed Miliband MP
STATISTICS ON LIVING STANDARDS

Dear Mr Miliband

"We were due to meet today to discuss the issues raised in your letter of 10 January about
measures of UK living standards. I entirely understand the demands on your time at the
moment, and I thought it would be useful if I set out some of the work that the UK Statistics
Authority has done and is planning to do, both to improve understanding of users’ needs for
statistics about different aspects of living standards and to produce new statistical series..."

http://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/r ... index.html
I was alerted to three different letters Sir Andrew Dilnot sent out today from the Touchstone Blog
Stats watchdog confirms that 4.1% does NOT “typically represent” pay rises
24 Mar 2015, by Geoff Tily in Economics

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2015/03/st ... pay-rises/
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

French minister calls the Tories "condescending" and "spiteful" over their attacks on France as part of their electioneering.

[youtube]PPujv2s3UdE[/youtube]
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Another Kipper bites the dust!

Tim Wilson, PPC for Northampton South, has withdrawn due to racist remarks made by David Coburn (a Scottish MEP) who compared Scottish Government minister Humza Yousaf to Abu Hamza.

That's 17 PPCs gone now.

How can anyone take these morons seriously?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've looked into the no-show of Grant Shapps on I'm a Conservative - Get Me Out of Here. Apparently, he has diary issues and is on a regional tour. Where? Doing what?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

PorFavor wrote:I've looked into the no-show of Grant Shapps on I'm a Conservative - Get Me Out of Here. Apparently, he has diary issues and is on a regional tour. Where? Doing what?
Tracking down the last car fridge repairman in England?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Again!

As I said when the same thing happened the other week, it looks like he's started writing from what he sees rather than what he thinks Mr Rusbridger wants.

Good.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Spacedone wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I've looked into the no-show of Grant Shapps on I'm a Conservative - Get Me Out of Here. Apparently, he has diary issues and is on a regional tour. Where? Doing what?
Tracking down the last car fridge repairman in England?
Regional tour of Siberia I believe. He took a Charter flight on Air Letwin. Returning May 8th.
Release the Guardvarks.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Night PF & yahyah.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Ephemerid

Re.Clinton - I wasn't so much comparing his gestures as contrasting; you are right (and I didn't get that across) he had a gift of being able to appear sincere. Blair tired to do the same was never very good at it.

Do you remember that whole "Aw Shucks" thing he had going on when he had to admit the Lewinsky affair? It was brilliant - he got people on his side (even though he'd been an utter shit) and that takes chutzpah. Or very good training.

I really think that people come across as sincere when they, like, are. That's why, I reckon, so many people think better of Miliband when they actually meet him and he's not under pressure (like a big speech, say)

Talking of "Jesus" moments - Cameron at the end of his speech to conference did that. It had me choking with laughter.
It was like Michael Jackson doing "Earth Song" - I was waiting for Jarvis Cocker to turn up and flash his arse at him.

Now that I'd pay serious money to see. Well, if I had any....
Clinton was brilliant; there's a US accent some have. Not exactly a US Southern accent but a soothing drawl like those test pilots stationed at Edwards Air Force Base post WW2 had - Clinton talks like that. Calm, professional & never nelly-boy like Dave gets when flustered.

I haven't seen the end of Cameron's speech yet.