Tuesday 24th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 24th March 2015

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
goodnight, PF
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

No Grant Shapps on ask the tories?

They do have Sam Gyimah MP (Education Minister), Ian Birrell (Mail on Sunday), Louisa Zissman (businesswoman), and Toby Young, I think, sat on the end but I've mislaid my glasses...

Edits to add guests, correct spelling, and confirm that it is Toby Young.
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:No Grant Shapps on ask the tories?
Nope.

Mr Sam Gyimah MP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05nhrlw
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

citizenJA wrote:Clinton was brilliant; there's a US accent some have. Not exactly a US Southern accent but a soothing drawl like those test pilots stationed at Edwards Air Force Base post WW2 had - Clinton talks like that. Calm, professional & never nelly-boy like Dave gets when flustered.
Ah, that accent is Appalachian in origin, specifically from the area of West Virginia; now that doesn't mean the region was blessed with large numbers of exceptional pilots but they were especially blessed with one of the finest stick & rudder men of all time, one Charles Elwood "Chuck" Yeager. When he broke the sound barrier and (as Tom Wolfe would have it) ascended to the summit of the pyramid of the Right Stuff that accent began to spread, firstly to the other pilots at Muroc (now Edwards), then throughout the USAF and eventually to pilots right across the USA. If you've never read "The Right Stuff" I can highly recommend it, as well as Yeager's own autobiography.

General Yeager was 92 last month and still sharp as a tack. Bit of a hero of mine, does it show? ;)
Chuck Yeager @GenChuckYeager
· Feb 9
What good does it do to be afraid? It doesn’t help anything. You better try and figure out what’s happening and correct it - Chuck Yeager
Edited to add - Good night yahyah and PF.
Last edited by TheGrimSqueaker on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Toady confirming he is a total twat. He winds me up, but like Shapps, you know he's the master of own goals.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Clinton was brilliant; there's a US accent some have. Not exactly a US Southern accent but a soothing drawl like those test pilots stationed at Edwards Air Force Base post WW2 had - Clinton talks like that. Calm, professional & never nelly-boy like Dave gets when flustered.
Ah, that accent is Appalachian in origin, specifically from the area of West Virginia; now that doesn't mean the region was blessed with large numbers of exceptional pilots but they were especially blessed with one of the finest stick & rudder men of all time, one Charles Elwood "Chuck" Yeager. When he broke the sound barrier and (as Tom Wolfe would have it) ascended to the summit of the pyramid of the Right Stuff that accent began to spread, firstly to the other pilots at Muroc (now Edwards), then throughout the USAF and eventually to pilots right across the USA. If you've never read "The Right Stuff" I can highly recommend it, as well as Yeager's own autobiography.

General Yeager was 92 last month and still sharp as a tack. Bit of a hero of mine, does it show? ;)
· Feb 9
What good does it do to be afraid? It doesn’t help anything. You better try and figure out what’s happening and correct it - Chuck Yeager
My grandpa spent some years mining coal in Kentucky.

'there's a demon in the air'
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Toady Young claims 80% of jobs since 2010 are well paid, many of them middle management. And then proceeds to shake his head in denial when a very informed woman in the crowd points out that a big chunk of them are self-employed and that the average wage for self-employed people has dropped 20%.

This is painful to watch.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"What good does it do to be afraid? It doesn’t help anything. You better try and figure out what’s happening and correct it"

Yeager's voice in two sentences stilling fear
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

· Feb 9
Total coincidence, I was off sick today and took the opportunity to watch the BluRay of The Right Stuff. Brilliant film, if a little over dramatised.

Yeager is a hero of course, but I was always more of a fan of Scott Crossfield - naval connection, and the Douglas Skyflash is just so pretty. Yeager's attitude to research and anyone else doing high speed work grated on me somewhat. But then I never recovered from a supersonic spin.
Film is decent enough, but the book is so much better; the General had a cameo appearance in the film, as a waiter at Pancho Barnes "Happy Bottom Riding Club". I agree, his attitude could be a mite challenging but, as you suggest, his career kinda gave him the right to be so.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :) & YahYah :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Spacedone wrote:Toady Young claims 80% of jobs since 2010 are well paid, many of them middle management. And then proceeds to shake his head in denial when a very informed woman in the crowd points out that a big chunk of them are self-employed and that the average wage for self-employed people has dropped 20%.

I wasn't going to bother with this but might have to re-run it later. Sounds hilarious.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

· Feb 9
My grandpa spent some years mining coal in Kentucky.

'there's a demon in the air'
Mr Ohso's paternal side had their roots in Kentucky and I tracked some of the line back to Virginia in the 1700's. It was fascinating learning about the history and places.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Toady Young claims 80% of jobs since 2010 are well paid, many of them middle management. And then proceeds to shake his head in denial when a very informed woman in the crowd points out that a big chunk of them are self-employed and that the average wage for self-employed people has dropped 20%.

I wasn't going to bother with this but might have to re-run it later. Sounds hilarious.
The general consensus on Twitter is that it's been pretty bad for the Tories.

My favourite tweet was along the lines of "Miliband turned up and engaged with the questions. This lot just sit there shaking their heads."

All in all it's been a fairly poor day for the Tories.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Spacedone wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

My favourite tweet was along the lines of "Miliband turned up and engaged with the questions. This lot just sit there shaking their heads."

And the best bit is that it is all self inflicted. :lol:
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

It's pretty embarrassing for the tories that not even one MP could be bothered to go,just the reps from the newpapers and a business woman.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: I wasn't going to bother with this but might have to re-run it later. Sounds hilarious.

And now Twitter being flooded by people attacking the audience members and calling them thick, selfish, decadent, scum...
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Anybody keeping tally of the UKIP election candidates, because another one has gone!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-32038485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:popcorn:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

JA - the speech when OGRFG does his Jesus thing was at the Tory conference - it was laugh-out-loud funny.

Free Speech - good grief.

The MP didn't look at the people asking the questions - straight to camera every time. Policy/factoid regurgitation. Well done Sam.

Toadfeatures did his usual clever-clever nasty fat schoolboy routine. Fact-free tosh as ever, and extremely patronising. Twunt.

Luisa Whoever was vile. She was on the Apprentice and Sleb Big Brother; she has some ebay business which she claims are worth millions but according to the Indy they're worth £194. Thick as a brick, and lives in the Heil's Sidebar of Shame in various states of not-quite-dressed.

Birrell was OK - he's a reasonable bloke, even if I don't agree with his politics; what he says he wants will never come from the Tories.

All in all, good job. Those kids were terrific, and they weren't buying the bullshit. The young man who was talking about being homeless soon was given a very rough ride by that idiotic woman on the panel, and I'm so glad he fought his corner and was supported by the audience.

Several questions about why Cameron wasn't there. Good.

I can't help feeling that if there were young people there thinking of voting for the Tories, they would not have been impressed by what they saw and heard tonight.

I am now beginning to wonder if these moronic people in government are trying to lose....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Anybody keeping tally of the UKIP election candidates, because another one has gone!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-32038485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:popcorn:

Said earlier - it's 17 now. :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Spacedone wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Spacedone wrote: The general consensus on Twitter is that it's been pretty bad for the Tories.

And now Twitter being flooded by people attacking the audience members and calling them thick, selfish, decadent, scum...
The audience came out of it much better than the Tories.
Where did they find that MyleneKlassalike 'businesswoman'?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

gilsey wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: And the best bit is that it is all self inflicted. :lol:
The Apprentice and Celebrity Big Brother I think. Down w' the kidz innit.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, Ephemerid.
Good-night, friends.
Please, AAW, come back.
love
JA
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Something weird happening on the #AskATory hashtag. Since the end of the programme it's been flooded with Spanish tweets... it's almost like someone is trying to make it hard for people to read the real comments.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Spacedone wrote:
gilsey wrote:
Spacedone wrote: And now Twitter being flooded by people attacking the audience members and calling them thick, selfish, decadent, scum...
Why would the Tories think it would be a good idea for her to represent them?

Goodnight citizen. :sleep:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
gilsey wrote: The audience came out of it much better than the Tories.
Why would the Tories think it would be a good idea for her to represent them?

Goodnight citizen. :sleep:
No-one cares what she says.

"Did you see that no mark muck up last night?" is fine with Crosby.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

You must watch it.

Young looked adult compared with Gymiah and Luisa Ladmag.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

JustMom wrote:It's pretty embarrassing for the tories that not even one MP could be bothered to go,just the reps from the newpapers and a business woman.
Sam Gyimah is an MP - just not a very bright one.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
JustMom wrote:It's pretty embarrassing for the tories that not even one MP could be bothered to go,just the reps from the newpapers and a business woman.
Yes I just realised that,they were all so rubbish I turned over after about 10 minutes.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
They'll want their constituents to vote for them in May, so is it that they don't dare appear on any sort of programme where they'll be asked difficult questions that they can't answer?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Worth bookmarking I think.

Brian May's new site.

http://www.commondecency.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Well the X-files is back.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... n-anderson

Which will simply remind us all how much better Fringe was. The show the X-files should have been.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Hi all
Just a quick drive by to say thanks for your messages and kind words.
@LadyC
Yesterday I was very harsh and out of order in my post to you for which I apologise, I hope you forgive me, my wording was wrong and it was very badly expressed.
Ernst emailed me and in return I explained why yesterdays kerfuffle produced a strong reaction for me. Not going into that here though.

I'm not in a good place at the moment so will hunker down till the black dog is back on his leash.
Thanks again for kindness expressed, I'll bob in out now and then - if that's OK with everyone

Love to all xx
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

As the world is indulging in largely clueless speculation about what happened to the A320 aircraft today, allow me to add to the noise as FTN's mostly clueless air transport correspondent.

The lack of any message, combined with the rapid, but controlled descent, seems to suggest a possibility of depressurisation leading to crew incapacity after they initiated emergency descent.

Or it could be something else.....

Given they have reportedly got the black boxes answers will probably come reasonably quickly. As always PPrune has the informed comment. Very sad event.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I helped organise the pub protest against Nigel Farage because absolutely no-one should feel frightened by Ukip
After all the bigoted statements they've made, it's about time we all stood up for ourselves

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 28712.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Edited to put it in quotes otherwise it looked as if I'd organised the protest Doh....
Last edited by ohsocynical on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:Hi all
@LadyC
Yesterday I was very harsh and out of order in my post to you for which I apologise, I hope you forgive me, my wording was wrong and it was very badly expressed.
Ernst emailed me and in return I explained why yesterdays kerfuffle produced a strong reaction for me. Not going into that here though.

I'm not in a good place at the moment so will hunker down till the black dog is back on his leash.
Thanks again for kindness expressed, I'll bob in out now and then - if that's OK with everyone

Love to all xx
I love dogs, but not the black one...Chase that bugger off AngryAsWell. Take care.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hearing the BBC News didn't play Cameron being jeered.

Labour discussed again in context of SNP.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Hearing the BBC News didn't play Cameron being jeered.

Labour discussed again in context of SNP.
The BBC really are Tory party lapdogs. Pretty certain if it was Miliband being given a hard time they would have gone with it. After the election, if Labour wins, the organisation needs gutting.
Release the Guardvarks.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@LadyC

Love to all xx
Sorry to hear some comments upset you yesterday, AAW. A change is as good as a rest, as they say, so I hope you'll feel better for spending less time on FTN for a while. :hug:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Can't see Cameron humiliated by pensioners anyway on BBC News front page.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:As the world is indulging in largely clueless speculation about what happened to the A320 aircraft today, allow me to add to the noise as FTN's mostly clueless air transport correspondent.

The lack of any message, combined with the rapid, but controlled descent, seems to suggest a possibility of depressurisation leading to crew incapacity after they initiated emergency descent.

Given they have reportedly got the black boxes answers will probably come reasonably quickly. As always PPrune has the informed comment. Very sad event.
I reckon it's aliens, always aliens.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I don't know who UKIP and the LIbDems are planning to send, but it's astonishing that looking at the line ups on Free Speech

Labour - Ed Miliband (Leader)
SNP - Nicola Sturgeon (Leader)
Greens - Natalie Bennett (Leader)
Plaid Cymru - Leanne Wood (Leader)
Conservatives - a first term MP, a supporter from business and a couple of journos.

If they're dumb enough to put out one of those posters that can easily be amended (I want to say 'like last time' but I think it was 2005) then I know their new slogan needs to be 'Holding the electorate in contempt'.
Last edited by adam on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I still believe in a town called Hope
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

@LadyC

Love to all xx
No worries, @AAW, and I'm sorry, again, that you were upset. I'm very sorry to hear that things aren't good for you and the moment and hope the black dog leaves you very soon. Much love to you and I'll hope you're soon back again. xxx
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:As the world is indulging in largely clueless speculation about what happened to the A320 aircraft today, allow me to add to the noise as FTN's mostly clueless air transport correspondent.

I reckon it's aliens, always aliens.
Yeah, there will always be conspiracy nuts for MH370 of course.

Seriously, this may be the third fatal accident that could (only could) have been avoided without the cockpit door locks introduced post 2001.

Helios (likely), Germanwings (possible) MH370 (possible).

Is it really worth the continued risk just to prevent an event that will probably never happen again because of improved security.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I didn't see it.....but holy crap!

Laura McInerney
‏@miss_mcinerney
Oh god, Newsnight just did an imaginary montage based in 2017. BoJo was running for PM post. But so was EDUCATION SECRETARY LIZ TRUSS.

:o
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

I'm posting this up for my daughter.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No subtext, but many of you will know exactly what I mean.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

@LadyC

Love to all xx
Come back when you feel a bit more sorted. My email was just a 'wotcha hon', so don't expect any special treatment from the mods around here, no sir!

But you take care of yourself, and I will be happier than most as and when you come back and post. You are appreciated, and this is me telling you so.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

ErnstRemarx wrote:I'm posting this up for my daughter.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No subtext, but many of you will know exactly what I mean.
Utterly.

And all those people who say that you must enjoy these times as much as you can because they grow so quickly? Turns out they're entirely right. Carpe Sprogum.