Tuesday 24th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 24th March 2015

Post by citizenJA »

“The current franchising system is not fit for purpose for either the travelling public or the taxpayer. That’s why we need Labour’s better plan for the railways that will put the current franchise system in the bin, create a public sector operator to take on these failing private firms and ensure a strong passenger voice within a more publicly controlled railways."

- Michael Dugher MP, Labour’s Shadow Transport Secretary
MARCH 23, 2015 (1:46 PM)

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1144049 ... ed-labours" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have Labour ever come out this definitively planning to scrap the current rail franchise system & move toward greater public utility control? I'm much encouraged.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Cameron getting a tough time at the Age UK Conference he's speaking at… "…and this is the group the government has insulated from austerity"
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:Rain just started pouring down.
Air quality cleaning mechanism.
30-odd miles south of you it's turned into hail.
I still believe in a town called Hope
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ephemerid wrote:Cue OGRFG getting his chops all over the meeja intoning "as a father of young children......
.... even if I leave them in the pub sometimes...."
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:Cameron getting a tough time at the Age UK Conference he's speaking at… "…and this is the group the government has insulated from austerity"
He actually said that? Irresponsible & inaccurate, it's divisive as well.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The BBC is giving all of its attention to the 'plane crash in France. I hate all the vulture-like "boys" (reporters) excitedly speculating whilst telling us that they have no firm information. Why can't they just tell us what they know, as and when they know? Quite distasteful.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Well, I've had a look at the W&P Select Committee's report on benefit sanctions post the Oakley review.

That Oakley review was rubbish, and basically said that things would be fine and dandy if the regime was communicated better.

This report makes some good recommendations - some of which would involve new legislation - and DWP under IDS will do none of it.

The problem is that there is zero evidence that sanctions improve anyone's ability or incentive to find work. They simply do not work.
Even the much milder sanctions under Labour's New Deal had very little effect on people who are unwilling or unemployable.

There have been sanctions for decades. They need to be there for the few who really take the piss - they increased under Labour, who introduced them with ESA for WRAG claimants; but the changes under this government have increased the number and the length of sanctions to a cruel and unprecedented degree.
I do not believe that IDS will accept any of the Select Committee's findings, nor will he implement what it recommends. If the Tories get into office again, we will witness the end of social security - that's the plan, it's a work in progress already, and when/if Universal Credit comes in the basis of social security based on need will be gone.

When several government ministers think that it's a good idea to impose computerised CBT on mentally ill people subject to sanction, there is something very wrong. It's clear that they have no care for the damage this could do; they have no care for the lives already lost and damaged by their other policies; they have no care for the children of people who have fallen upon hard times; they have no care full stop.

Labour say that they will remove sanctions targets - that's good start, but they really need to do more. I hope they do if they gain office.

What really needs to happen is that whoever leads us stops pratting about with all this. The fact is that as long as we have neoliberal economics we will always have a degree of mass structural unemployment - however the unemployed are shunted about in various programmes and faux apprenticeships etc. - and it's high time politicians were honest about this.
Unless we expand our public sector and get people trained and working in health, social care, housing, maintenance, agriculture, etc., or some serious legislation is brought in on wages and rents, we will not get full employment which pays enough for many people to live on.

We also need to do some serious thinking about work and its' place in our lives. Too many people are grafting too hard for too little, with no time for the leisure they need; and too many people are poor as church mice however hard they work.

Rant over....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

PorFavor wrote:The BBC is giving all of its attention to the 'plane crash in France. I hate all the vulture-like "boys" (reporters) excitedly speculating whilst telling us that they have no firm information. Why can't they just tell us what they know, as and when they know? Quite distasteful.
Because it is happening = 24 hour news and good. But they don't know anything.

They need to grow up, Air Asia was even worse coverage.

The loss of an aircraft in Europe at cruise is extremely unusual (outside war zones).

There has been some incidents of A320s going into uncommanded dives due to sensor errors triggering Alpha Floor protection, but the work around seems well known (turn off flight directors, fly the plane yourself).

It will be some time before anybody really knows what happened (perhaps a week for solid idea). Meanwhile the press will speculate
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

So, Ed Miliband has won the coin toss for the debate, and gets to choose if he goes first or second. Will be interesting to see which he plumps for.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

[youtube]JH91kYntyoI[/youtube]

One for those who say Labour should stick to simple messages, perhaps? Or too negative? Labour promising not to raise VAT possibly doesn't have the feelgood factor of promising to lower it!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:So, Ed Miliband has won the coin toss for the debate, and gets to choose if he goes first or second. Will be interesting to see which he plumps for.
I'd go first before people get bored and go and do something else. Rather like the Eurovision song contest.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:So, Ed Miliband has won the coin toss for the debate, and gets to choose if he goes first or second. Will be interesting to see which he plumps for.
I'd go first before people get bored and go and do something else. Rather like the Eurovision song contest.
I think I'd go for second. It might give Ed Miliband a chance to correct any David Cameron over-firmlies.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Some news just in from Folkestone and Hythe, where ex-UKIP candidate Janice Atkinson was expelled from the party earlier. Her replacement has been confirmed as Labour's former National Executive Committee chair Harriet Yeo.
Didn't she say she was only voting Ukip, not joining them ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
I think I'd go for second. It might give Ed Miliband a chance to correct any David Cameron over-firmlies.
I suggested over at AS that he could sit in the audience and ask questions...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Jack Blanchard @Jack_Blanchard_

Cameron tells audience he has protected health & care budgets. "That's not true," hecklers shout back. "You've cut social care. It's a lie"
Age UK audience are pretty fiesty. Shame none of them do political interviews for the BBC, isn't it? :D
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

That pic of past and current Tory chancellors made me smile.

My younger brother voted Tory when he reached the age of majority because he didn't want to pay so much tax.
He went mad when shortly after the election the Tories raised VAT.
I had no sympathy, telling him it should teach him a lesson, not to vote for his own pocket.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Food writer Jay Rayner has torn Sarah Vine a new one over her article on the Miliband kitchen & Private Eye's demolition job on her in the last issue:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

pk1 wrote:
Some news just in from Folkestone and Hythe, where ex-UKIP candidate Janice Atkinson was expelled from the party earlier. Her replacement has been confirmed as Labour's former National Executive Committee chair Harriet Yeo.
Didn't she say she was only voting Ukip, not joining them ?
Yes, she was sitting as an independent councillor in Ashford after Labour slung her out. If that's the best UKIP can do as a prospective MP...
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Yep, pros and cons to both.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

John Stevens, Daily Mail reporter
@johnestevens
Ukip announcement gone off rails. Local party treasurer says new candidate chosen without consultation. Press officer asks him to keep quiet
:lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote: I'd go first before people get bored and go and do something else. Rather like the Eurovision song contest.
I suggested over at AS that he could sit in the audience and ask questions...

I notice that you're all undergoing "scheduled maintenance" over there. I hope you come through it unscathed.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Remember Boris Johnson talking about building a replica of the Crystal Palace at the Selhurst park site; would you be surprised to hear that a) it was dodgy as wotsits and b) it has come to nothing?

http://insidecroydon.com/2015/03/23/bro ... e-dynasty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Definitely second.

Rumours of Cameron demanding 'best two out of three' are unsubstantiated.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AS blog:

On the 'debate'

Miliband will go second. “We will have the opportunity to respond to Cameron’s false claims,” said a Labour source.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:AS blog:

On the 'debate'

Miliband will go second. “We will have the opportunity to respond to Cameron’s false claims,” said a Labour source.
COBRADave pencilled in immediately after his turn.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

HaveIGotNewsForYou ‏@haveigotnews · 1m1 minute ago
As his daughter threatens hunger strike over Clarkson suspension, David Cameron phones the pub and tells them to make her eat something.
:lol!:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote: I'd go first before people get bored and go and do something else. Rather like the Eurovision song contest.
Definitely second.

Rumours of Cameron demanding 'best two out of three' are unsubstantiated.
Ha! I'm just waiting for the Telegraph's exposé on the "Labour's double-headed coin" scandal. (Un-named Danczuk's say that Ed Miliband . . . . ")
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Has anyone seen the RPI inflation rate ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Has anyone seen the RPI inflation rate ?
I kept telling you to put it somewhere safe. You never listen.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'm probably sitting on it PF !

Have quickly checked BBC, Telegraph & Guardian reports and they state the CPI but not RPI.

Am interested because my husband's company pension schemes use RPI to calculate annual rises.
Also, I believe the RPI figure more closely represents how older people are actually affected by inflation.

As for 0% CPI am sure my house insurance and other goods and services will not be standing still this year, price wise.

[Do feel free to correct my commas PF].
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:Has anyone seen the RPI inflation rate ?
1% according to ONS.

When I finally get this thesis in I was going to have a proper look at what's what on the inflation measures. One day soon...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks Roger.

On a roughly educational note, here in Wales we have a library passport scheme that was started by our Welsh Labour government.

It means that if you have an ordinary library ticket you can apply to have a loans or reader access ticket for university libraries in Wales.

Not sure if such a scheme exists in England...if it doesn't, then well done Welsh Labour.
I've joined the scheme and am able to borrow books from the wonderful library at St David university in Lampeter.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

RobertSnozers wrote:...

I lost any sympathy I once had with the LibDems when they failed to stop any of the bad bits of Lansley's bill, and merely succeeded in complicating many areas of it just so they could put their stamp on things.

I think most of us here agree that the best thing post 2015 is anything other than another Tory government.
Me too, Robert. I was already disquieted by their joining the coalition but it was during the bill's passage through the House that I joined cif, being a somewhat more public place to voice my concerns. I don't know if you remember but it was because some Tory shill challenged cif contributors that we didn't know what we were talking about. You particularly stood out as being knowledgeable on such matters, whereas I was just a mere layman. Nevertheless I tried to get to grips with bill, which was particularly difficult given my limited knowledge and all the cross referencing to previous acts, not to mention the legalese. Even that wasn't as problematic as Lansley's obfuscation that hid some of what he envisaged. Even so the 2006 Act had paved the way for much of it and I believe his intentions, albeit misplaced, were essentially good.

Jeremy, as is Dave, is a bare-faced liar as demonstrated both before and during Leveson, which no doubt contributed to his promotion to Health Secretary. Why else would an homeopathic quack be given such responsibility? Anyway it was during the act's passage that I became more and more vociferous with my fury for the LibDems telling them that passage of the bill would lead to their complete and utter annihilation.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Can anyone enlighten me on the ins and outs of this Yakult-style (probable) deflation, please? I thought deflation was a Bad Thing.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Danny Blanchflower ‏@D_Blanchflower 3m3 minutes ago
@edballsmp
"As an economist, I have never heard anybody boasting that zero inflation is a sign of economic success"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:Can anyone enlighten me on the ins and outs of this Yakult-style (probable) deflation, please? I thought deflation was a Bad Thing.
Deflation is a very bad thing. If wages no longer rise (and why should they, we're at 0.0%) then the economy is stuck. I'm sure someone can provide a more eloquent and detailed explanation.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

yahyah wrote:Danny Blanchflower ‏@D_Blanchflower 3m3 minutes ago
@edballsmp
"As an economist, I have never heard anybody boasting that zero inflation is a sign of economic success"
Shouldn't he follow that up with "until I heard Camoron & Gidiot".
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

gilsey wrote:
yahyah wrote:Danny Blanchflower ‏@D_Blanchflower 3m3 minutes ago
@edballsmp
Shouldn't he follow that up with "until I heard Camoron & Gidiot".
One of my pet hates. When this sort of key economic data is released, the emphasis put by the media (BBC news 24 especially) is to have a political correspondents viewpoint on how a government spokesperson has interpreted the data. Get a pure economist in to comment directly on the data. The news is an information service, so inform your viewers, give them the tools.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Danny Blanchflower @D_Blanchflower · 12m 12 minutes ago
With deflation on horizon Chncllor’s plans for extreme cuts after the election look more & more like a suicide note
http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2015/03/uk ... 5c.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Touchstone blog is 'from the TUC'.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

David Cameron heckled by pensioners at Age UK rally: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:rofl:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I hope all those so twits who moan about baby boomers voting Tory watch it.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BBC election plans.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:I hope all those so twits who moan about baby boomers voting Tory watch it.

He was dreadful and talkedto the audience as if they were kids,really sounded like Matthew Corbett doing the sooty show.No wonder he doesn't want to debate.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

StephenDolan wrote:David Cameron heckled by pensioners at Age UK rally: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was rather patronising towards the end, speaking as if he was in the presence of children.

Arrogant twat !
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Rebecca wrote:
yahyah wrote:I hope all those so twits who moan about baby boomers voting Tory watch it.

He was dreadful and talkedto the audience as if they were kids,really sounded like Matthew Corbett doing the sooty show.No wonder he doesn't want to debate.
Snap !

:lol:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:David Cameron heckled by pensioners at Age UK rally: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was rather patronising towards the end, speaking as if he was in the presence of children.

Arrogant twat !
Bring on the debates....
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Guardian live blog video of Cameron at Age UK has most of the heckling cut out.
You'd almost think the person who edited it wanted him not to look so bad.
Strange days indeed when you have to go to the Telegraph to see a video of Cameron being humiliated.
Last edited by yahyah on Tue 24 Mar, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm truly surprised that David Cameron hasn't found an excuse to appear concerned over the 'plane crash which is, to the exclusion of all else, getting wall-to-wall coverage on the TV news outlets. Unless he's been advised to take this opportunity to keep a very low profile.

And, yes, I do have that low an opinion of him.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Sheffield Hallam MP and Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has agreed to take part in The Star event on Thursday, March 26 – the only debate he will take part in with rival candidates in the city.

The event will take place in Sheffield and will be recorded so it can be broadcast for voters to watch in full through The Star’s website on the Thursday evening.
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/send-in-y ... -1-7162826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Why Cameron being heckled by pensioners is very bad news for Ed Miliband....

Quick question, if you could only recommend 2/3 people to follow regarding politics on Twitter, who would it be? Your good selves and FTN are included automatically :wink: