Thursday 26th March

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 26th March

Post by ohsocynical »

Dead man discovered in Reading town centre graveyard named

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... wn-8924990
Another poor sod who appears to have fallen through the cracks.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Reading has been placed at the wrong end of a league table of “healthy” high streets published by the Royal Society for Public Health
The signs of an unhealthy high street, according to the RSPH, are the presence of tanning salons, tobacconists, pay day loan shops, bookies and fast food takeaways.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... hy-8920288
Blimey. That's going some. Reading Town centre is huge.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon all - difficult meeting today which is why I've bee AWOL.

I wondered about this when it was announced:

STATEMENT ON STEM ACADEMY CROYDON GATEWAY
Tony Sewell, Local Chair of Governors, STEM Academy Croydon Gateway said:

“We have taken the decision not to continue with our proposal to open STEM Academy Croydon Gateway, our planned 16-19 academy for Croydon.

This has been a very difficult decision for the Trust to make. However, setting up a free school is a major undertaking and at this present time we feel that we are unable to commit the level of resource required to successfully launch a new academy whilst also fully supporting STEM Academy Tech City, our existing 16-19 academy in Islington.
Yes, that Tony Sewell - one of Boris' mates. Good article here about them wanting to take union recognition away from staff.

http://antiacademies.org.uk/2014/01/fre ... islington/

And the reason for them not proceeding with another free school became apparent today...STEM Academy in Islington was inspected in late January and today graded a 4 - Inadequate.

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection ... ELS/139793

Another triumph for Gove's policies! Not.
It'a another one for Govey's Marginal Seat Disaster Tour. Gavin Barwell in Croydon Central.

Tried to do a list of these. So far have

Croydon Central (academy cancelled after sister academy gets awful Ofsted)
Crawley (Discovery Free School)
Norwich South (forced academy conversion)
Stroud (forced academy conversion)
Peterborough (UTC postponed)
Hove (forced academy conversion)
Westminster North (superhead spent school funds on birthday party)
Hammersmith (Toby Young and successful primary school kicked out for other free school)
Gloucester (collapsing Prospect academy chain)
Forest of Dean (collapsing Prospect academy chain)
Torbay (collapsing Prospect academy chain)
Rossendale and Darwen (forced academy conversion)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Fairer funding needs to be applied to Wokingham borough schools after new figures showed they are the worst funded in the country.
Figures published by the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) show that Wokingham borough schools will receive £4,158 per pupil in 2015/16.
This compares against an average of £6,297 per pupil among the 10 best-funded areas.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... ng-8921474
And yet Wokingham - just down the road from Bracknell - is listed as one of the best places in the country to live, and I believe being a Conservative dominated council, didn't suffer such deep funding cuts as elsewhere in the country.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Good-morning, friends.
Are party manifestos out today?
Unfortunately not, which is why Cameron wanted the debates in March.

LC, Image
Ooh, thank you :D Rich ginger cake and a tumbler full of sparkling elderflower and blackberry cordial :clap: :dance: :rock:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ephemerid wrote:gilsey and utopian dreams -

You are both quite right - the "savings" the government quotes depend entirely on what parameters they have chosen on any given day.

The way I look at it is to see what was being spent on what (as far as we are allowed to know) and what is being spent now (ditto).

Unless we know what counts as welfare, what counts as actual benefits spending, and how the two are related and calculated, it's virtually impossible to get an accurate picture - but we DO know that more is being spent on social security despite the cuts to individual claimants, and more is being devolved to LAs without the funds to deliver the same level of services which is where savings to central government (if any) are made. IMHO!
Just catching up with the posts today. Thank you for your excellent post on Osborne's 'welfare saving'. Your conclusions is identical to that of Robert Peston and Jonathan Portas in Peston's article on Osborne's "rollercoaster" spending plan.

Just to add something you might not have considered. In the letter that Osborne sent out to everyone that pretended to show how the Government spends their tax, Osborne lumped Public Sector pensions into the 'Welfare' section to make it look bigger (they should have been under departmental spending). They've made numerous changes to cut the cost of public sector pensions since 2010 and it wouldn't surprise me if they were now using those changes to say that they've cut the social security bill.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I have been played as a fool', says tearful Tory MP over botched Bercow plot

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -plot.html
Here's another who makes you wonder why he's still in the Tory Party.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LadyCentauria wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Good-morning, friends.
Are party manifestos out today?
Unfortunately not, which is why Cameron wanted the debates in March.

LC, Image
Ooh, thank you :D Rich ginger cake and a tumbler full of sparkling elderflower and blackberry cordial :clap: :dance: :rock:
Happy birthday LC. Hope it's a good one. :D
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:

He's rightwing, but has good points of principle- chaired the Procedure Committee and slammed Gove for not answering correspondence. As did, to be fair, Jacob Rees Mogg, who rebelled too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ LadyCentauria

Happy birthday!
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

That video of Bercow's face as he stares at the Tory front bench after announcing the defeat of the assassination attempt is a joy to behold.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:

I wonder what Dave is, what his party is doing, what was the purpose of today's events.
A Tory MP wept in the House of Commons as he said he had been made to look like an “honourable fool” by his Conservative colleagues over the botched plot to unseat Speaker John Bercow.

Charles Walker is the chairman of the Commons procedure committee which had called for a “prime time” debate on electing the Speaker by secret ballot on a number of occasions....Mr Walker complained that he had been given no notice about the Government’s decision to force a vote on Thursday morning despite calling for a vote in January and February.

Clearly choking back tears, Mr Walker said: “I have been played as a fool and when I go home tonight I will look in the mirror and see an honourable fool looking back at me and I would much rather be an honourable fool in this and any other matter than a clever man.”

After his speech, Prime Minister David Cameron wrote to him, telling him that it showed Parliament “in its very best light”, adding that it was “brave stuff”.
Dave is proud of the brouhaha? That he causes?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I suspect it will be overlooked but Chris Ruane made a very important point of order today:
Chris Ruane (Vale of Clwyd) (Lab):
On a point of order, Mr Speaker. This is about more grubby business. On 4 November, I tabled a question asking how much money was spent on social housing in each of the past 15 years. It was answered today, nearly five months late, and the answer showed that there had been a 75% decrease in the spending on social housing over the past five years. Was this a good day to bury bad news? Can you investigate why it has taken five months to answer my question?
75% decrease in the spending on social housing over the past five years - what a bloody disgrace !
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

This afternoon Downing Street said that David Cameron still had “full confidence” in Michael Gove, the chief whip, despite the effective defeat the government suffered in the vote on whether the next ballot to elect the Speaker should be held in private.

But, at the lobby briefing, Cameron’s spokeswoman refused to say whether Cameron thought John Bercow was going a good job. “That’s a view for MPs across the House to express,” she said.

Asked if Cameron was disappointed by the result, the spokeswoman said: “It was for the House to decide, and they have expressed their view.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... 6ac4ce40e4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cameron said this through a 'spokeswoman'.
Cowardly disgrace.
Disaster area government.
Please vote current government gone.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Two things:

Happy birthday LadyCentauria!

Up yours, William Hague!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Gordon Brown's speech.
whether the future lies in greater devolution, a new form of federalism or home rule within the UK, in the constitutional revolution now under way I will fight, struggle, do battle and fight and fight again to renew and reconstruct for a new age the idea of Britain around shared values can bring us together and advance a common Britishness – a shared belief in tolerance, liberty and fairness that come alive in unique British institutions like the National Health Service and in common policies for social justice - ideas which we have given to the world, but now seem to be losing sight of at home: unifying ideas that we need to champion anew at the core of a common British national purpose that binds us together in a shared future...
http://labourlist.org/2015/03/i-leave-t ... h-in-full/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

PorFavor wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Ephie. Just heard a brilliant slogan.

Have been watching Richard 111 re-burial. In the Bishop of Leicester's sermon he said 'A We not Me' society.

Excellent!

Alas, too late.

For both my PPC's leaflet and Richard Crookback....
How'd it go?
I believe he was interred. This time he's not likely to get dug up again.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

He's rightwing, but has good points of principle- chaired the Procedure Committee and slammed Gove for not answering correspondence. As did, to be fair, Jacob Rees Mogg, who rebelled too.
The snag with Rees-Mogg is you suspect he was only involved because it involved Parliamentary procedure. Not because it was sneaky and wrong.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

citizenJA wrote:
This afternoon Downing Street said that David Cameron still had “full confidence” in Michael Gove, the chief whip, despite the effective defeat the government suffered in the vote on whether the next ballot to elect the Speaker should be held in private.

But, at the lobby briefing, Cameron’s spokeswoman refused to say whether Cameron thought John Bercow was going a good job. “That’s a view for MPs across the House to express,” she said.

Asked if Cameron was disappointed by the result, the spokeswoman said: “It was for the House to decide, and they have expressed their view.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... 6ac4ce40e4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cowardly disgrace.
It was at the twice daily lobby briefing where lobby journalists ask questions of the PM's spokesperson.

It's a standard daily procedure.

There is nothing significant in the remark.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
Excellent!

Alas, too late.

How'd it go?
[My bold] Although Cumberbatch did suddenly wonder if Leicester Cathedral might also have become a car park another five hundred years down the road.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
Excellent!

Alas, too late.

How'd it go?

Ha! Brilliant! I fell into that one, didn't I?
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Just sat through an hour of BBC News24.
Plenty about the air crash, a little about Charlie's letters, NO mention at all about what happened to Little Willie in parliament. :roll:
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Happy Birthday Lady C !
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Labour's Paul Flynn in the House today:

Paul Flynn (Newport West) (Lab):
''Like most of us here with a lifelong trust in the integrity of the police and security services, I had the very disturbing experience a few weeks’ ago, with the Chair of the Home Affairs Committee, of reading the report on Operation Tiberius. We were not allowed to have cameras or phones with us.
The information in that document is deeply shocking. It is a story of decades of conspiracies between the police and criminal gangs.

Knowing the case of Daniel Morgan from Llanfrechfa, who was murdered while he was investigating police corruption 28 years ago, and the failure of the security services to identify the way that Sir Cyril Smith and Sir Jimmy Savile were destroying lives, is there not a case for publishing the report on Operation Tiberius so the whole country can know the depth of corruption that has taken place in the Metropolitan police?''
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

BBC News24 have just spent - oh - all of 10 seconds on the vote re the Speaker. No background given at all.
I wonder if they will mention\advertise the "debate". I realise that it's being broadcast by rival channels but it's surely worthy of mention. (Representation of the People Act, or something?)

Edited

A comma replaced with a full-stop.

Edited once more - with feeling. Substituted a lower case "h" for an upper case one.
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 26 Mar, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

gilsey wrote:Gordon Brown's speech.
whether the future lies in greater devolution, a new form of federalism or home rule within the UK, in the constitutional revolution now under way I will fight, struggle, do battle and fight and fight again to renew and reconstruct for a new age the idea of Britain around shared values can bring us together and advance a common Britishness – a shared belief in tolerance, liberty and fairness that come alive in unique British institutions like the National Health Service and in common policies for social justice - ideas which we have given to the world, but now seem to be losing sight of at home: unifying ideas that we need to champion anew at the core of a common British national purpose that binds us together in a shared future...
http://labourlist.org/2015/03/i-leave-t ... h-in-full/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fantastic speech. A difficult man but with more compassion and sense in his little finger than in the whole of the Tory Party.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Swarthlander wrote:Just sat through an hour of BBC News24.
Plenty about the air crash, a little about Charlie's letters, NO mention at all about what happened to Little Willie in parliament. :roll:
Bercow has just Tweeted a message of thanks for all the support.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Swarthlander wrote:Just sat through an hour of BBC News24.
Had R4 on in the car. It was mentioned in both headline round ups on PM and at the top of the 6 O'clock News.

Here is the outcome of the vote:

[youtube]-1UJZxrfi2k[/youtube]

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bercow seems to be giving Hague the evil eye at the end (and quite rightly too).
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Well, what a day for the coalition.

Right wing press saying Cameron humiliated, Lib Dems facing police enquiry re donations,
a Lib Dem candidate arrested. Gove shown up as the conniving useless t*** he so patently is.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

PorFavor wrote:
A Liberal Democrat candidate in a very close marginal seat has been arrested over allegations of child abuse.

Jason Zadrozny was fighting to win Ashfield against Labour shadow minister Gloria de Piero, who won by only 192 votes in 2010.

However, Zadrozny, who denies the allegations, has now withdrawn his candidacy, leaving the Liberal Democrats without a contender in a key seat with just weeks to go before the election. (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... n-zadrozny
Leaving aside the meat of the story, which has been discussed by others, I note the Guardian's sly attempt to suggest the Lib Dems ever stood a chance in Ashfield. Gloria was, of course, fighting the seat in 2010 in a local campaign very much overshadowed by the shenanigans of her predecessor Geoff Hoon, hence the slim majority; but she has been putting in some serious legwork in her constituency over the past five years, and has built herself an enviable reputation as a damned good constituency MP, so much so that she is probably sitting in one of the safest seats in the country, not the marginal suggested by the Guardian (I'm guessing either Watt or Mason from the turgid language of that quote). Her majority in 2010 was 0.4% of the vote share, Electoral Calculus reckon she is on track for a majority upwards of 20%!
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

yahyah wrote:Well, what a day for the coalition.

Right wing press saying Cameron humiliated, Lib Dems facing police enquiry re donations,
a Lib Dem candidate arrested. Gove shown up as the conniving useless t*** he so patently is.
And the (non)debate to come, so Dave's bad day is hopefully not over yet. :popcorn:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yes - it's a shame BBC viewers will know nothing about any of it. The only bright spot is that Clive Myrie is now reporting on the 'plane crash rather than the other gleeful ghouls they've had covering it to date.

Edited to add a "than"
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 26 Mar, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

And the (non)debate to come, so Dave's bad day is hopefully not over yet. :popcorn:

Let's hope he's nixed.
Am not going to watch the interviews, too nerve racking and it's my husband's turn to choose the TV progs tonight.

Hopefully someone will live blog it here < hopeful face icon>
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

If this were a plot in a book you'd be forgiven for throwing it down in disgust for thinking the author had little experience of how MPs behave and Democracy was enacted.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Let's hope he's nixed.
Am not going to watch the interviews, too nerve racking and it's my husband's turn to choose the TV progs tonight.

Hopefully someone will live blog it here < hopeful face icon>
Mr Ohso has been very generous with the control box today. :o
We watched Richard 111 being re-interred this morning, and he's apparently accommodated the head to head that isn't, this evening. Not sure whether my blood pressure will stand watching dodgy Dave though.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

BBC News 24 have just started to cover the forthcoming "debate".
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
A Liberal Democrat candidate in a very close marginal seat has been arrested over allegations of child abuse.

Jason Zadrozny was fighting to win Ashfield against Labour shadow minister Gloria de Piero, who won by only 192 votes in 2010.

However, Zadrozny, who denies the allegations, has now withdrawn his candidacy, leaving the Liberal Democrats without a contender in a key seat with just weeks to go before the election. (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... n-zadrozny
Leaving aside the meat of the story, which has been discussed by others, I note the Guardian's sly attempt to suggest the Lib Dems ever stood a chance in Ashfield. Gloria was, of course, fighting the seat in 2010 in a local campaign very much overshadowed by the shenanigans of her predecessor Geoff Hoon, hence the slim majority; but she has been putting in some serious legwork in her constituency over the past five years, and has built herself an enviable reputation as a damned good constituency MP, so much so that she is probably sitting in one of the safest seats in the country, not the marginal suggested by the Guardian (I'm guessing either Watt or Mason from the turgid language of that quote). Her majority in 2010 was 0.4% of the vote share, Electoral Calculus reckon she is on track for a majority upwards of 20%!
That sounds pretty good. Getting a majority for what she's done rather than because of what an opponent might or might not have done.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Good evemorrowthingy.

Por - No, they've been muttering about this for a few weeks, apparently. The revenge might come in due course, mind.....

Spacedone - I am sooooo happy to be in such exalted company. (No, I haven't read the Peston article, so clever old me, eh?)

Ernst - You will be reassured to know that my PCC has not been interred.

All - how are we going to watch the Ronsealed Camerlossus this evening? I can't decide whether to have shoes to throw at the telly or the slimy green vegetable detritus gathering pong in my recycling bin. We're a bit short of custard pies around here.

For Ed - I've got a little flag. I intend to wave my little fat arms into hyperlactaemia. I hope he appreciates it.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

The execrable self-publicist that is Louise Mensch has just Tweeted this "Andreas Lubitz is a mass-murderer, a slaughterer of children. Not a suicide"

I have told her that for once in her life she should show a bit of decorum.

Stupid, stupid, vain, silly fucking woman.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Cowardly disgrace.
It was at the twice daily lobby briefing where lobby journalists ask questions of the PM's spokesperson.

Dave fully supported Gove & the action to take out Bercow, a disastrous failure thanks, in part, to Charles Walker's speech. Dave then writes a tender message to Walker indicating today's chaos is somehow the best of Parliament. Dave & his government engage in incoherent word & action.
Clearly choking back tears, Mr Walker said: “I have been played as a fool and when I go home tonight I will look in the mirror and see an honourable fool looking back at me and I would much rather be an honourable fool in this and any other matter than a clever man.”

After his speech, Prime Minister David Cameron wrote to him, telling him that it showed Parliament “in its very best light”, adding that it was “brave stuff”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -plot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Cameron apparently said that he had "every confidence" in Michael Gove, football chairman-stylee.

I doubt he's very pleased with him...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Michael Crick making a total arse of himself on a Ch4 item on the "debates". He probably does it all the time, mind, but thankfully he's not on camera all the time.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

citizenJA wrote:
pk1 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Cameron said this through a 'spokeswoman'.
Cowardly disgrace.

Dave fully supported Gove & the action to take out Bercow, a disastrous failure thanks, in part, to Charles Walker's speech. Dave then writes a tender message to Walker indicating today's chaos is somehow the best of Parliament. Dave & his government engage in incoherent word & action.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -plot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Presumably Cameron now realises that this shabby humiliation of a decent Tory MP means he has royally pissed on his chips when it comes to post 7th May leadership challenges.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
pk1 wrote: It was at the twice daily lobby briefing where lobby journalists ask questions of the PM's spokesperson.

Presumably Cameron now realises that this shabby humiliation of a decent Tory MP means he has royally pissed on his chips when it comes to post 7th May leadership challenges.
I honestly and sincerely believe that Dave's brain is incapable of connecting the dots.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

My mother, who died nearly twenty-five years ago, was a staunch Conservative voter all her life. She supported the Falklands war because to her it meant this country could hold its head up with pride again. She supported the Government during the Miner's Strike and loathed Arthur Scargill. She'd have been horribly ashamed of the Government today and what all this said about us to the world.
The truth ferret speaks!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

frightful_oik wrote:I was hoping to listen to the leaders' debates on the wireless but I can't find anything in the listings. What's more QT looks as crap as usual:
Panellist Nicky Morgan
Panellist Jim Murphy
Panellist Leanne Wood
Panellist Steven Woolfe
Panellist Janet Street-Porter
QT has realised that putting Nats on means you get someone who will say they don't like the Tories much, then spend the rest of their answer attacking Labour. Moreover has J S-P ever said anything intelligent in her life? They could have put a Libdum in her place. Will they have to give better balance when the campaign proper starts next week?
It's on LBC which you can listen live nationwide at lbc.co.uk, on 97.3FM or 1152AM in London, and on their DAB radio station LBC which is nationwide, too. Your local commercial radio station might be broadcasting it too as part of the syndication agreements.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

mbc1955 wrote:My mother, who died nearly twenty-five years ago, was a staunch Conservative voter all her life. She supported the Falklands war because to her it meant this country could hold its head up with pride again. She supported the Government during the Miner's Strike and loathed Arthur Scargill. She'd have been horribly ashamed of the Government today and what all this said about us to the world.
To be fair I supported the Falklands war, still do and would still support going to war with any country that invaded the homes of UK citizens.

Never forget what a mass murdering bunch of rapists the Argentinian military government was. To leave UK citizens at their mercy would have been utterly unacceptable.

As Michael Foot pointed out at the time.
Release the Guardvarks.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

LadyCentauria wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:I was hoping to listen to the leaders' debates on the wireless but I can't find anything in the listings. What's more QT looks as crap as usual:
Panellist Nicky Morgan
Panellist Jim Murphy
Panellist Leanne Wood
Panellist Steven Woolfe
Panellist Janet Street-Porter
QT has realised that putting Nats on means you get someone who will say they don't like the Tories much, then spend the rest of their answer attacking Labour. Moreover has J S-P ever said anything intelligent in her life? They could have put a Libdum in her place. Will they have to give better balance when the campaign proper starts next week?
It's on LBC which you can listen live nationwide at lbc.co.uk, on 97.3FM or 1152AM in London, and on their DAB radio station LBC which is nationwide, too. Your local commercial radio station might be broadcasting it too as part of the syndication agreements.
Cheers LC. I shall set the dial on my wireless this instant.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:My mother, who died nearly twenty-five years ago, was a staunch Conservative voter all her life. She supported the Falklands war because to her it meant this country could hold its head up with pride again. She supported the Government during the Miner's Strike and loathed Arthur Scargill. She'd have been horribly ashamed of the Government today and what all this said about us to the world.
To be fair I supported the Falklands war, still do and would still support going to war with any country that invaded the homes of UK citizens.

Never forget what a mass murdering bunch of rapists the Argentinian military government was. To leave UK citizens at their mercy would have been utterly unacceptable.

As Michael Foot pointed out at the time.
Which was completely not the point I was making.
The truth ferret speaks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.