Thursday 26th March

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 26th March

Post by Willow904 »

Hello all.

Re the speaker thing:
Under current rules, if a Speaker's re-appointment is objected to, a vote is held, with MPs filing through the division lobbies outside the chamber to cast their vote.

This means it is clear who does or does not support the incumbent.

But MPs will now discuss whether this should be changed to allow MPs to vote in secret.
I don't really understand why they can't vote him out, if they want to, regardless of whether the vote is secret or not. If they're happy for everyone to know they oppose Berkow enough to push for this last minute change, then we already know who's got the knives out for him. I just don't see how they'll get more opposing votes purely because it's done in secret, not enough to count anyway. Unless the Tories are planning to impose a secret whip in which case I suppose if it was an open vote everyone would see all the Tories vote against him and that would raise real questions about motives.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

frightful_oik wrote:... Also we should bear in mind that anyone who has become a GP in this parliament must have started their medical training under Labour.
Or they're aliens, frightful_oik. What would we do without them? Neither does May want them coming here for their education. 'No ifs or buts' as Cameron would say.

Edit: removed a spurious doesn't.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Thu 26 Mar, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

This is the format for tonight -

Cameron goes first, starts with Paxman interview then gets audience questions.
Miliband goes second, starts with audience, then gets Paxman.

I daresay the leaders get advance notice of interview Qs but does anyone know if they get notice of audience Qs?

The reason I ask is because on QT Dimbleby has sometimes refused to take questions from audience members if they don't ask the same ones they were supposed to....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

StephenDolan wrote:... So there we have it. Newmark stitched himself up.
I saw him briefly on telly yesterday, Stephen, maybe Channel 4 News. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry; settled for the former. Talk about digging holes. No wonder the Bamfords are popular with Tories.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-dcf1-F ... Pms3YgGc1l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just picked up this link on twitter. Former Tory minister Steve Norris thinks it'll be a Labour minority government. Looking at the polling figures, he's as much chance of being right as anybody as it's certainly consistent with the level pegging, slight Labour edge that's been the case now since the SNP surge in November.

Is it just me or would this have been wall to wall media coverage if it had been a former Labour minister predicting a Tory minority government?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Today's winner of the completely unnecessary heading within an article - "Co-Pilot Not Known As Terrorist" - it looks from what is being said like the air crash this week was a pilot suicide.
I still believe in a town called Hope
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

adam wrote:Today's winner of the completely unnecessary heading within an article - "Co-Pilot Not Known As Terrorist" - it looks from what is being said like the air crash this week was a pilot suicide.
Pilot suicide and mass murder. If you want to kill yourself why take other innocent people with you ?
Hard to understand that level of anger and disregard for human life.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

yahyah wrote:
adam wrote:Today's winner of the completely unnecessary heading within an article - "Co-Pilot Not Known As Terrorist" - it looks from what is being said like the air crash this week was a pilot suicide.
Pilot suicide and mass murder. If you want to kill yourself why take other innocent people with you ?
Hard to understand that level of anger and disregard for human life.
Yes - apologies for my description.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If I sounded grumpy Adam, it was not aimed at you, more at the slew of horrible news at the moment.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

bettie nuttall retweeted
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 26 mins26 minutes ago

Serious allegation from Eagle, says Hague misled her about Gove intentions on secret ballot
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

William Haque getting pulled apart by both sides of the House over the grubby last minute tabling of the the voting procedures for Speaker. I think this proposal may be in trouble.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rob 26th Mar '15 - 11:35am
''Bercow stuffed himself by stuffing Danny’s alternative budget – his intervention turned the media portrayal against it and led to weekend of abuse about it – that’s why we’ve decided to do him over.''

The mask slips for those oh so principled Lib Dems.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/why-have-lib ... l#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

yahyah wrote:If I sounded grumpy Adam, it was not aimed at you, more at the slew of horrible news at the moment.
Not at all - i was inappropriately flippant and you were right.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ephie. Just heard a brilliant slogan.

Have been watching Richard 111 re-burial. In the Bishop of Leicester's sermon he said 'A We not Me' society.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:Ephie. Just heard a brilliant slogan.

Have been watching Richard 111 re-burial. In the Bishop of Leicester's sermon he said 'A We not Me' society.
Oh that's good. Sums it up very nicely.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rearofthestore wrote:William Haque getting pulled apart by both sides of the House over the grubby last minute tabling of the the voting procedures for Speaker. I think this proposal may be in trouble.
He's been criticised by Bone, Rees-Mogg, Julian Lewis and Philip Davies, to name just a few Tories speaking.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Julian Lewis, Tory MP for New Forest East, is not known for being one of the awkward squad. He has written the attached email. When MPs such as Peter Bone, Rees-Mogg, Chope, P Davies are against the motion, it gives an indication of just how grubby it is.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (234.86 KiB) Viewed 12319 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-dcf1-F ... Pms3YgGc1l

Just picked up this link on twitter. Former Tory minister Steve Norris thinks it'll be a Labour minority government. Looking at the polling figures, he's as much chance of being right as anybody as it's certainly consistent with the level pegging, slight Labour edge that's been the case now since the SNP surge in November.

Is it just me or would this have been wall to wall media coverage if it had been a former Labour minister predicting a Tory minority government?
From the article linked:
A SENIOR Tory predicted that Labour will win the general election, hours after David Cameron “arrogantly” announced that he plans to be Prime Minister until 2020.
Former Tory Cabinet member Michael Portillo also labelled Mr Cameron’s shock statement as “bizarre.”
The final paragraph:
Mr Cameron insisted it was “a very reasonable, sensible thing to say” when quizzed by the press yesterday.
He added: “What I did in my kitchen is I gave a very straight answer to a very straight question and I think that people will understand that.”
For Dave, it's all about Dave looking comfortable in his kitchen.
Dave isn't comfortable with questions regarding his government over last five years.
Dave doesn't want to be held responsible for his leadership by the electorate or by responding to intelligent, rational communication with Miliband or anyone else wanting an explanation for Dave's failures.
Dave & his orchestrating team are using their film crews led by Dave's classmates, hiding when they're not around & running away when criticism gets too close.
The Tories don't have a majority government.
Nothing is going to change that now.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I was hoping to listen to the leaders' debates on the wireless but I can't find anything in the listings. What's more QT looks as crap as usual:
Panellist Nicky Morgan
Panellist Jim Murphy
Panellist Leanne Wood
Panellist Steven Woolfe
Panellist Janet Street-Porter
QT has realised that putting Nats on means you get someone who will say they don't like the Tories much, then spend the rest of their answer attacking Labour. Moreover has J S-P ever said anything intelligent in her life? They could have put a Libdum in her place. Will they have to give better balance when the campaign proper starts next week?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Supreme Court has backed the Guardian re the Prince Charles letters:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... ider-memos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Government defeated as predicted.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

pk1 wrote:A charity director from Age UK has written a piece in the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... ign=DM7716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In it is this chart from the IFS on how the DWP budget gets spent:
Was she one of the Labour Party infiltrators Toby Young was blathering on about? A sensible and well written piece, which is probably why they've not bothered opening comments on it.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Today's YouGov, I find rather bizarre.

Headline figures 34% Conservatives, 35% Labour.

These are 448 v 456 (original 419 v 460).

Within the tables we have got (%Tory then Labour)

ABC1 41/30
C2DE 25/42
Male 18-24 34/32
Male 65+ 39/29

And the reweightings listed are
Scum/Star 163 324
Guardian 157 71
Class AB 659 451
Class C1 419 467
Male 18-24 61 97
Male 60+ 280 209

So barring the newspapers reweighting, all other reductions and increases should improve the Labour lead, not decrease it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Today's YouGov, I find rather bizarre.

Headline figures 34% Conservatives, 35% Labour.

These are 448 v 456 (original 419 v 460).

Within the tables we have got (%Tory then Labour)

ABC1 41/30
C2DE 25/42
Male 18-24 34/32
Male 65+ 39/29

And the reweightings listed are
Scum/Star 163 324
Guardian 157 71
Class AB 659 451
Class C1 419 467
Male 18-24 61 97
Male 60+ 280 209

So barring the newspapers reweighting, all other reductions and increases should improve the Labour lead, not decrease it.
(my bold)
It suits losing parties to have people confused.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rearofthestore wrote:Government defeated as predicted.
How damaging was this to Dave & to the Tories in general, do you think?

Reading the blog at the other place, I wondered what else may be going on more important than what may have been a staged fandango.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:

Reading the blog at the other place, I wondered what else may be going on more important than what may have been a staged fandango.
I think you're giving Gove, Hague and Cameron far too much credit there. They came up with yet another 'cunning plan' and messed up miserably. Again. The European arrest warrant vote that wasn't springs to mind. :lol!:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all - difficult meeting today which is why I've bee AWOL.

I wondered about this when it was announced:

STATEMENT ON STEM ACADEMY CROYDON GATEWAY
Tony Sewell, Local Chair of Governors, STEM Academy Croydon Gateway said:

“We have taken the decision not to continue with our proposal to open STEM Academy Croydon Gateway, our planned 16-19 academy for Croydon.

This has been a very difficult decision for the Trust to make. However, setting up a free school is a major undertaking and at this present time we feel that we are unable to commit the level of resource required to successfully launch a new academy whilst also fully supporting STEM Academy Tech City, our existing 16-19 academy in Islington.
Yes, that Tony Sewell - one of Boris' mates. Good article here about them wanting to take union recognition away from staff.

http://antiacademies.org.uk/2014/01/fre ... islington/

And the reason for them not proceeding with another free school became apparent today...STEM Academy in Islington was inspected in late January and today graded a 4 - Inadequate.

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection ... ELS/139793

Another triumph for Gove's policies! Not.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:

Well it depends on the coverage it gets, I suppose. But it does go to demonstrate that, without a doubt, this Conservative government is underhanded and can't be trusted. Not even by its own backbenchers. The government front-bench is arrogant and treats everyone else like pawns. Forgetting, of course, that a pawn can checkmate a king.

On the up-side - I hear Venezuela is very nice at this time of year.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Amongst the many incompetencies of this government must be the effect the Bedroom Tax has on housing associations, let alone tenants, notwithstanding that the DWP's own risk register identified rent arrears as the most likely outcome. You guessed it, I haven't started my list yet. Anyway, keeping it current there's a good article by John Harris in the G: Undermining housing associations is the next big Tory vote-winner. He even uses the T word that I have recently.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... hatcherism

Stuff to do, not least looking after the most beautiful girl in the world later. But then I would say that. At 2½ I believe her numeracy is already better than George's. Yeah she often uses fingers to count to ten and then manages twenty without using her toes. Nicky Morgan, eat your heart out.

Edit: removed a spurious of and replaced assessment with register. Which reminds me whatever happened to the NHS Reforms Risk Register? I wonder if one still exists anywhere.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Thu 26 Mar, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

I think you're giving Gove, Hague and Cameron far too much credit there. They came up with yet another 'cunning plan' and messed up miserably. Again. The European arrest warrant vote that wasn't springs to mind. :lol!:
20-30 years ago, it might have produced resignations.
Now? They seem to have free rein to do whatever they want, with no discipline or comeback from their PM, fellow MPs bar a few and supporters.
Given that many older Conservative supporters are what I'd call Little Englander's; for flag, Queen and country this lot are such a rabble and make such a mockery of Parliamentary rules and laws, that I can't think why that section of society supports them anymore.

Edited because I suddenly forgot how to spell.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Thu 26 Mar, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hopping backwards and forwards between the kitchen and living room because I'm baking a batch of Cornish Pasties so a bit disorganised at present. However, this gave me a laugh.

Peter Smith ‏@Redpeter99 13 mins13 minutes ago
Looks like Gove will be spending more time with his delightful wife in their delightful kitchen. #bercow

darren mcloughlin ‏@madass13 4 mins4 minutes ago
@Redpeter99
will they be playing "find Michaels chin" ??

:lol: :lol: :lol:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Sky breaking news ticker thingy:

"The Electoral Commission says it has referred two allegations that the Liberal Democrats received donations in breach of party funding rules to the Metropolitan Police"

and

"North Yorkshire Police has spoken to potential witnesses over the incident involving Jeremy Clarkson at a hotel in the county"

Pass the popcorn...

edit to add this from AS blog:
Not welcome news for the Lib Dems on the last day of parliament. The Electoral Commission says it has passed to the Met police information about the activities of Ibrahim Taguri, a Liberal Democrat chief fundraiser who stood down as a parliamentary candidate for the party earlier this month after he was caught on tape allegedly advising a fake donor on how to circumvent funding laws.

Taguri was alleged to have told an undercover reporter from the Daily Telegraph that he could make a donation to the Lib Dems via a cousin.

An Electoral Commission statement said matter centres on an alleged beach of section 61 of of the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000, and thus fell beyond its remit. It added:

The Electoral Commission has therefore passed the information that it has received to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS). The MPS have confirmed to the commission that they are also aware of the allegations and that they are considering them.
Further allegations by the Channel 4 programme Dispatches programme on 23 March seemed to be an alleged breach of the same law, and had also been passed to police, it added.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

A Liberal Democrat candidate in a very close marginal seat has been arrested over allegations of child abuse.

Jason Zadrozny was fighting to win Ashfield against Labour shadow minister Gloria de Piero, who won by only 192 votes in 2010.

However, Zadrozny, who denies the allegations, has now withdrawn his candidacy, leaving the Liberal Democrats without a contender in a key seat with just weeks to go before the election. (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... n-zadrozny
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
A Liberal Democrat candidate in a very close marginal seat has been arrested over allegations of child abuse.

Jason Zadrozny was fighting to win Ashfield against Labour shadow minister Gloria de Piero, who won by only 192 votes in 2010.

However, Zadrozny, who denies the allegations, has now withdrawn his candidacy, leaving the Liberal Democrats without a contender in a key seat with just weeks to go before the election. (Guardian)
More suffering children. :(
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... es-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I shouldn't laugh really - should I?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

pk1 wrote:Sky breaking news ticker thingy:

"The Electoral Commission says it has referred two allegations that the Liberal Democrats received donations in breach of party funding rules to the Metropolitan Police"

and

"North Yorkshire Police has spoken to potential witnesses over the incident involving Jeremy Clarkson at a hotel in the county"

Pass the popcorn...

edit to add this from AS blog:
Not welcome news for the Lib Dems on the last day of parliament. The Electoral Commission says it has passed to the Met police information about the activities of Ibrahim Taguri, a Liberal Democrat chief fundraiser who stood down as a parliamentary candidate for the party earlier this month after he was caught on tape allegedly advising a fake donor on how to circumvent funding laws.

Taguri was alleged to have told an undercover reporter from the Daily Telegraph that he could make a donation to the Lib Dems via a cousin.

An Electoral Commission statement said matter centres on an alleged beach of section 61 of of the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000, and thus fell beyond its remit. It added:

The Electoral Commission has therefore passed the information that it has received to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS). The MPS have confirmed to the commission that they are also aware of the allegations and that they are considering them.
Further allegations by the Channel 4 programme Dispatches programme on 23 March seemed to be an alleged breach of the same law, and had also been passed to police, it added.
Is this the "new kind of politics" that Nick was talking about in 2010?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ephemerid wrote:Osborne will not tell the electorate how he plans to achieve the £12 Billion he says he will cut from "welfare".

If he cuts social security (and as we know his definition of welfare is very flexible) this is what I think he would do.....

The Tories have already announced no HB for 18-21's - I think this might be extended to 25-year-olds. They'll keep the bedroom tax.
They will freeze all benefits except pensions, claiming zero inflation as the guide for uprating.
They will keep sanctions; as time goes on, more people will reach the "3-strikes" rule and be out of benefit for 3 years.

They will remove the WRAG component of ESA - those claimants already have some time-limiting and jobsearch conditionality, and I think on those grounds he will bring all but the most seriously ill into line with JSA. That will reduce the conts-based ESA from 12 months to 6 months.
I think he will probably cut Support Group rate by about £5 to bring it down to what WRAG is now.

2 years ago, he insisted that the above-inflation uprating of sickness benefits applied to all of them. In fact, for ESA, that uprating did not apply to the whole of the various payments - it applied only to components, and the basic rate was uprated at the same level as other benefits.
I would expect more of this sort of sleight-of-hand from him if he gets back into office.

If he does these things, he could probably save about £4BN - so where would the rest come from? I suspect that Universal Credit will account for some more - there will be many more people subject to sanction; and in time Housing Benefit will be sanctioned when UC is disallowed.
There are also hundreds of thousands of people in self-employment now who will not have sufficient earnings to reach the UC income floor - they will have to give up their business if they cannot continue without the UC elements of tax credits and HB, and some of them may get sanctioned anyway for stopping work depending on the circumstances.

There is no question in my mind that he'll find a way to make these savings, and it will cause immense social hardship if not unrest.

We have to get these bastards out.
Sadly, I agree with you on your analysis in both your posts on this subject today. We do have to get them out!

Would you like me to copy these posts over to either the Welfare & Benefits Board or the Features and Analysis Board for you, later, @ephe? It'd be no trouble and I'd link them back to the originals on this board.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Careful - he is still an innocent man at this stage. He may well be found to be an innocent man even if he is charged & tried in a court of law.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Two of the last three deep coal mines to close.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-32064963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's only Yorkshire, it doesn't matter, frack 'em.

In other news - shock horror - Downton Abbey to come to an end.
Eastenders for toffs. :roll:
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Excellent!

Alas, too late.

For both my PPC's leaflet and Richard Crookback....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian retweeted
Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 7 hrs7 hours ago

Nicola Sturgeon forced to remind us "I'm leading the SNP campaign" as Salmond continues solo manoeuvres in Westminster over pink champagne

I said a week or so ago I'd be getting pissed if I were her. Having to bite my tongue over the way she's being treated by some men.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:

Excellent!

Alas, too late.

I know. I could have spit when I heard him say it. It's bloody perfect.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:

Excellent!

Alas, too late.

How'd it go?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Swarthlander wrote:Two of the last three deep coal mines to close.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-32064963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's only Yorkshire, it doesn't matter, frack 'em.

In other news - shock horror - Downton Abbey to come to an end.
Eastenders for toffs. :roll:
I have never watched it....Is this a record? :?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:

Excellent!

Alas, too late.

How'd it go?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Careful - he is still an innocent man at this stage. He may well be found to be an innocent man even if he is charged & tried in a court of law.
You're right. But my first reaction on reading the post was Good oh more chances for a decent Labour candidate which wasn't very nice, so I over compensated.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Double post. I got "timed out". Sorry.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

LadyCentauria wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
Sadly, I agree with you on your analysis in both your posts on this subject today. We do have to get them out!

Would you like me to copy these posts over to either the Welfare & Benefits Board or the Features and Analysis Board for you, later, @ephe? It'd be no trouble and I'd link them back to the originals on this board.
I dunno Lady C - perhaps people could say if they want that done? I don't mind! If you'd like to, why not? Thank you.

Also - forgot to say - there are rumours that IDS has said that bedroom tax will be applied to pensioners.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

I dunno Lady C - perhaps people could say if they want that done? I don't mind! If you'd like to, why not? Thank you.

Also - forgot to say - there are rumours that IDS has said that bedroom tax will be applied to pensioners.
Is that as a result of a Cameron special request (revenge for the Age UK disaster)?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The Crossrail effect: Reading property prices forecast to increase by 43 per cent by the end of 2020

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... es-8919988