Friday 27th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 27th March 2015

Post by ohsocynical »

My son worked on landscape but with a local housing association. All the workforce [not the office staff] were told their contracts would be re-negotiated, some would be let go, and those that were retained would have to take a sizable wage cut.
It was all done to the letter of the law. Our son couldn't survive on less money and luckily landed a better paying job and has since been promoted so it wasn't such a disaster in the end, but the worry when it was all going on made him ill.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Glad your son's job is 'safe' from this change of contractor, Ohso. But I really feel for all the Bracknell staff who are losing their jobs, especially the two older chaps. I hope something decent will come up for them – and that the young lad you mentioned will swiftly find his career in landscaping. All these workers' rights gone by the board, it breaks my heart to see it.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@Ephie.

You've been warning us what was going to happen, so not such a shock to FTNers but even so, to read the bare bones report that was leaked to the BBC was like being hit between the eyes.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

@ephe: will you wish Toby well from me, when you're in touch with him, please?
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LadyCentauria wrote:Glad your son's job is 'safe' from this change of contractor, Ohso. But I really feel for all the Bracknell staff who are losing their jobs, especially the two older chaps. I hope something decent will come up for them – and that the young lad you mentioned will swiftly find his career in landscaping. All these workers' rights gone by the board, it breaks my heart to see it.
I couldn't believe it when my son said what they were going to do...I kept saying, but they can't do that, and my son kept saying yes they can mum. And he was right.

From what I've learned they are in for a rough time. We learned that one of the slightly younger workers who cared for his mother until she died last year has also been made redundant. He was devoted to her and has had a hard time getting over her death. God knows how he will cope.