Friday 27th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 27th March 2015

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, friends.
Your posts are wonderful this morning in particular!
Thank you for being here.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:I've woken up feeling angry and hopeless...
Perhaps you need a weekend free of the msm, ohsocynical. Just try to enjoy it, I'm sure there are things that may bring you joy.

Edit: I believe there was once a TV programme along the lines of 'Turn off the telly and do something else instead'. I used to find myself giving computing students similar advice regarding the computer, which is equally applicable to all of us now, especially those who regularly post and follow fora or other forms of social media.
Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead?
Over the winter I've developed arthritis in my fingers, which makes it difficult to knit or sew. They used to be my favourite occupations and it's been too cold to do my little patch of garden. Of course there's always housework, but I prefer not to if possible.
I need hot sun!!!!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

gilsey wrote:Observations.

1. Dave trotted out the same line that Sam Gyimah used on Tuesday, that they'd banned exclusive zerohours contracts. Have they? Did I blink and miss it?
The best I can find is http://www.personneltoday.com/hr/zero-h ... ep-closer/
The last line is telling.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I know the feeling, Ohso.
I'm grateful you're posting
A lot of wisdom written here

xx
cJA
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:
Perhaps you need a weekend free of the msm, ohsocynical. Just try to enjoy it, I'm sure there are things that may bring you joy.

Good point UD.
I've done less country walking and spent more time online this week and it does affect the mood.

But at the moment it is hard not to get hooked in. So much seems at stake.
I feel the same way.
I've also decided now isn't the time to wean myself off the 'thank you' button.
It's a tense time for me as well as many others & I can't thank enough.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Willow904 wrote: If you see Lonewolfie's link above, Ed Miliband was intimidated and physically assaulted by a small group of "protesters" at lunchtime yesterday.

Come the evening he's being asked "why so gloomy" - strangest question ever. And "are you alright?". If Burley and Paxman knew what had happened earlier in the day, then it just makes their comments and aggressively personal onslaught even more unpleasant.
I suspect Paxman assumed the mic was off, and was probably asking the question on the basis of the above.

Makes Miliband's performance even more impressive.
It could explain the Paxman question, if it really was accidental, otherwise it just seemed aimed at making him look weak after a grilling. The gloomy question is still completely inexplicable to me and, if they knew about the incident earlier, extremely unfair.

My other really big beef was the way in which Miliband was asked why Labour was only level pegging in the polls. This is a stupid question that implies Labour should be doing better, that wasn't aimed at Cameron even though the Tories are also level pegging in the polls and presumably should be doing better also. It's a question for a political pundit and completely wasted time which could have been used to ask Miliband about things the voters want to hear about to help them make up their minds.

Still, the only really memorable quote of the show was "Hell yes, I'm tough enough". Oh and apparently Cameron talked about Ivan again. I missed that bit but my husband saw it - was that the bit when the audience gasped? My husband thought that was a bad sign.
A disabled lady didn't ask about cuts but voiced concerns about the publics attitude to the disabled and how difficult it was to get work and I think it was then he briefly brought Ivan into it.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

PorFavor wrote:As an aside -

Does anyone here remember "Do Not Adjust Your Set"? I was an avid watcher and thought it hilarious although, as I recall, it had a rather sinister tinge to it which probably added to my childhood fascination.
Yes. Palin and Jones as I recall. Plus the dastardly Mrs Black.

Does anyone believe that Paxman was talking to someone on the Tube who said Miliband was useless? Weak effort by Paxman there.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ ohsocynical

Bit of a slow response but -

I can understand your feeling angry - Ed Miliband had to face two "professional" (I'm doing a Jeremy Paxman sneer in the general direction of Kay Burley, here) interlocutors yesterday. I don't think that was the agreed format.

But hopeless? Get a grip, woman!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
utopiandreams wrote: Perhaps you need a weekend free of the msm, ohsocynical. Just try to enjoy it, I'm sure there are things that may bring you joy.

Edit: I believe there was once a TV programme along the lines of 'Turn off the telly and do something else instead'. I used to find myself giving computing students similar advice regarding the computer, which is equally applicable to all of us now, especially those who regularly post and follow fora or other forms of social media.
Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead?
It was a kids show about making stuff in the holidays instead of watching tv presented by children (was it made in Northern Ireland?). Needless to say it was so boring I did, indeed, turn the telly off and went and did something less boring instead, so don't remember it that well!
It wasn't made in Northern Ireland, I think home base was actually BBC Bristol, but they had a number of 'gangs' including ones from Cardiff, Belfast, Liverpool and Newcastle; like you I found it utterly tedious and did other stuff instead!! Worth noting that it introduced to the world of TV Russell T Davies (this was his first writing and producing job after graduating from Oxford), Andy Crane (later of 'broom cupboard' fame), Pauline Quirke and one Anthony McPartlin.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

minch wrote:

1. Dave trotted out the same line that Sam Gyimah used on Tuesday, that they'd banned exclusive zerohours contracts. Have they? Did I blink and miss it?
He didn't say they'd banned ZH, but that they'd stopped exclusivity so now we're free to have as many ZH jobs at one time as we want.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lonewolfie wrote:Morneveaft...

Just dropping in quickly (much busyness today) to say...

[cJA edit of Lonewolfie text for format purposes]

This has worried me a bit though...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ed ... ar_twitter

...I rather hoped he'd got some protection officers, just in case.
That does scare me. Absolutely not okay.
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

ohsocynical wrote:
minch wrote:

He didn't say they'd banned ZH, but that they'd stopped exclusivity so now we're free to have as many ZH jobs at one time as we want.
If I read it right they haven't even done that yet!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead?
It was a kids show about making stuff in the holidays instead of watching tv presented by children (was it made in Northern Ireland?). Needless to say it was so boring I did, indeed, turn the telly off and went and did something less boring instead, so don't remember it that well!
It wasn't made in Northern Ireland, I think home base was actually BBC Bristol, but they had a number of 'gangs' including ones from Cardiff, Belfast, Liverpool and Newcastle; like you I found it utterly tedious and did other stuff instead!! Worth noting that it introduced to the world of TV Russell T Davies (this was his first writing and producing job after graduating from Oxford), Andy Crane (later of 'broom cupboard' fame), Pauline Quirke and one Anthony McPartlin.
Wow. Mr Knowledge! I can't believe I didn't know it was made in Bristol. We don't make many tv programmes in the West Country so we're usually rather proud of the ones we do, although in this case...... :)
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:@ ohsocynical

Bit of a slow response but -

I can understand your feeling angry - Ed Miliband had to face two "professional" (I'm doing a Jeremy Paxman sneer in the general direction of Kay Burley, here) interlocutors yesterday. I don't think that was the agreed format.

But hopeless? Get a grip, woman!
Okay, okay, okay. :lol: :lol:

I am in despair at what politics has become.
It seems to be taking people a long time to wake up to the negative Tory campaign and to see how our press and broadcasters actively encourage grubby, spiteful behaviour.

Hopefully the worm will begin to turn, because whatever a persons political persuasion last night showed just how deep the media has sunk. Maybe they've finally shot themselves in the foot, but I'm not holding my breath.

Has anyone else noticed. They say a week is a long time in politics. It takes about that before a disgrace like Shapps pops his head above the parapet, and carries on as normal.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:Morneveaft...

Just dropping in quickly (much busyness today) to say...

[cJA edit of Lonewolfie text for format purposes]

This has worried me a bit though...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ed ... ar_twitter

...I rather hoped he'd got some protection officers, just in case.
That does scare me. Absolutely not okay.
It's not okay, is it? The fact they were wearing masks to hide their identity gives a rather more sinister impression than when Farage was waylaid by protestors at his local pub the other day. That wasn't okay either in the sense he wasn't at work and with his family and clambering on someone's car to stop them leaving is never acceptable, but generally speaking you could see they were just regular protestors, they weren't trying to hide who they were and had a message they were trying to get across. What kind of message does physically intimidating someone while wearing an Alex Salmond mask put across? The fact it happened before the live tv event is a little too coincidental for comfort for me.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

minch wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
minch wrote: The best I can find is http://www.personneltoday.com/hr/zero-h ... ep-closer/
Why am I not surprised.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I'm afraid I couldn't tolerate watching and hearing Cameron last night, so had the sound down for that bit. Also turned off Milband's interview with Paxman a few seconds after the ludicrous, BNP style question 'is Britain full?', to which there is no sensible answer and which is not a question designed to find things out, but to backfoot and annoy.

However, during Milband's question and answer session, almost all of the questions were exactly the same as the average troll might come up with on Cif. They were so aligned with the media's 'thinking' that they may as well not have been there at all. No one seemed to want to ask questions that related to real life, plumping instead for inept Heil gotchas that have always been pretty ineffective since they were first trotted out some five years ago.

Overall impression - dishonest media in the pockets of the ruling elites is ruining democratic debate
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

BBC News24 has just done a rehash\post mortem with Owen Jones and a woman (sorry, didn't catch her name) from "Buzzfeed" (?) on last night's "debate". Generally in favour of Ed Miliband.

(I hope this helps to cheer up ohsocynical.)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 5 mins5 minutes ago

Ofcom receives 110 complaints about anti-Miliband bias in Cameron/Miliband #BattleForNumber10, @johnplunkett149 says

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... 6ac4ce4168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

mikems wrote:I'm afraid I couldn't tolerate watching and hearing Cameron last night, so had the sound down for that bit. Also turned off Milband's interview with Paxman a few seconds after the ludicrous, BNP style question 'is Britain full?', to which there is no sensible answer and which is not a question designed to find things out, but to backfoot and annoy.

However, during Milband's question and answer session, almost all of the questions were exactly the same as the average troll might come up with on Cif. They were so aligned with the media's 'thinking' that they may as well not have been there at all. No one seemed to want to ask questions that related to real life, plumping instead for inept Heil gotchas that have always been pretty ineffective since they were first trotted out some five years ago.

Overall impression - dishonest media in the pockets of the ruling elites is ruining democratic debate
Nonetheless, Ed dealt well with those - and some of those who asked said MSM-conditioned "questions" admitted they were impressed by his answers afterwards.

No wonder he has signed up to all these events - for a short but precious period, people get the chance to see him largely unfiltered by a hostile media.

He, and we, should make the most of it :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

On a positive note after cussing Paxman on Twitter last night, I gained followers and didn't lose any
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

ohsocynical wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
utopiandreams wrote: Perhaps you need a weekend free of the msm, ohsocynical. Just try to enjoy it, I'm sure there are things that may bring you joy.

Over the winter I've developed arthritis in my fingers, which makes it difficult to knit or sew. They used to be my favourite occupations and it's been too cold to do my little patch of garden. Of course there's always housework, but I prefer not to if possible.
I need hot sun!!!!
Why not go for a bike ride? Nothing like the wind in your hair and heart pounding to take your mind off stuff. I'm shot through with osteoarthritis and it's just about the only thing that doesn't hurt.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I'm afraid I couldn't tolerate watching and hearing Cameron last night, so had the sound down for that bit. Also turned off Milband's interview with Paxman a few seconds after the ludicrous, BNP style question 'is Britain full?', to which there is no sensible answer and which is not a question designed to find things out, but to backfoot and annoy.

Nonetheless, Ed dealt well with those - and some of those who asked said MSM-conditioned "questions" admitted they were impressed by his answers afterwards.

No wonder he has signed up to all these events - for a short but precious period, people get the chance to see him largely unfiltered by a hostile media.

I agree Anatoly. But do those people really think like that? If so, they are not far off being brainwashed as far as I am concerned. Either that, or the whole thing was constructed in some way to ensure that those questions, and not real ones, were the ones asked.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Poor Ed must be feeling a bit battered this morning. I hope he continues to think the majority of us are worth it, because there are some who are not.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead?
I need hot sun!!!!
Why not go for a bike ride? Nothing like the wind in your hair and heart pounding to take your mind off stuff. I'm shot through with osteoarthritis and it's just about the only thing that doesn't hurt.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You have obviously never seen me on a bike. I gave up years ago because I never completely mastered going around corners :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 27 Mar, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

And just who the hell is the Prime Minister around here? I never know who to cower before nowadays! Talk about unstable government! We've had three different ones in as many weeks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

mikems wrote:

I agree Anatoly. But do those people really think like that? If so, they are not far off being brainwashed as far as I am concerned. Either that, or the whole thing was constructed in some way to ensure that those questions, and not real ones, were the ones asked.
I think "brainwashed" is going too far in most cases (though you *do* get a few like that, scarily) Conditioned? Yes, very possibly.

Which is why any opportunity to challenge such preconceptions is like gold dust (and a major reason why Dave did everything he could to avoid the debates)
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Yes, conditioned is better.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

I'm really looking forward to the Clegg, Miliband and Cameron session now, especially with the manifestos being available. A couple of percent (or more importantly, getting the apathetic voting) will make all the difference.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Willow904 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Willow904 wrote: It was a kids show about making stuff in the holidays instead of watching tv presented by children (was it made in Northern Ireland?). Needless to say it was so boring I did, indeed, turn the telly off and went and did something less boring instead, so don't remember it that well!
Wow. Mr Knowledge! I can't believe I didn't know it was made in Bristol. We don't make many tv programmes in the West Country so we're usually rather proud of the ones we do, although in this case...... :)
I retain useless crap like that, which is why I get co-opted onto pub quiz teams quite a lot. I think Bristol was chosen as it was the home of the wildlife unit and had excellent communication links with the regional studios as a result; increasingly the actual filming was done in the regions and pulled together in Bristol. I have half an idea it later moved to Cardiff, at about the time Russell T started writing.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

mikems wrote:And just who the hell is the Prime Minister around here? I never know who to cower before nowadays! Talk about unstable government! We've had three different ones in as many weeks.
Looks like I need to reinstate my old "COWER BRIEF MORTAL" signature. ;)
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Have logged in to say, 'Wow, just wow'. Thanks for all the info about said programme but it was after my time (I think) but the sentiment stands. I used to do lots of other stuff before my computing days. I'd always been interested and have been programming since 1970 but noticed how much it took over my life post returning to it pre OU days. So I specifically warned new students of the dangers. I have myself at times been agitated and extremely angry for no other reason than this government, not for what they do to me but society as a whole. Besides we're all more productive after a refreshing break.

I shall not presume to advise what else ohSo does; we're all different. As it happens I did have something else to do earlier but am now following my own advice. So after I close this laptop's lid (some thanking to do first - ta for reminding me, citzenJA) I'm going to sort my so-called office, a tiny room off the lounge. A shelf unit fell off the wall some months back and I'd mainly lost the use of one arm so have done absolutely nothing about it other than closing the door.

Looking around me there are 7 computers in the lounge; I think it time to expand. Besides I shall also get on the phone and get my daughter round. Everything else can wait till Monday. Cheers.

Edit: inserted some missing words. Sometimes I don't even (internally) vocalise when typing, which makes my writing even worse than all the typos; missing or repeated words. There was a time that I did better... and now for thanking.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Fri 27 Mar, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

mikems wrote:Yes, conditioned is better.
In that case the conditioning isn't working that well on young people as they asked really good questions on Ask the Leaders and Free Speech which elicited really informative answers. In fact Ed answered the brother question before on the Free Speech show, so had already formed a strong response. Meanwhile Cameron has been hiding from challenging interviews for the last 5 years and is therefore very rusty and it showed.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:
minch wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: He didn't say they'd banned ZH, but that they'd stopped exclusivity so now we're free to have as many ZH jobs at one time as we want.
Why am I not surprised.
Looking at this, I'd say it hasn't received Royal Assent yet.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/201 ... yment.html
Latest news on the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill 2014-15

The Lords amendments were considered and agreed to in the House of Commons on 24 March 2015.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ed Miliband, launching the manifesto at the Olympic Park East London, is announcing a cap on the profits that private providers will be allowed to make from the NHS. I think that's a shrewd way of encouraging them to piss off - after all, no cash mountain = no interest.

He looks fine, hale, hearty and vigorous (for those who may be concerned about his well-being).

I notice that there are still no takers for my Grant Shapps question which I posed earlier.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:Poor Ed must be feeling a bit battered this morning. I hope he continues to think the majority of us are worth it, because there are some who are not.
I think Ed will be feeling exhilarated this morning.

His personal ratings shot up & virtually every political commentator / blogger has given him the 'win'

Apparently 300+ complaints about Paxo & Burley were made to C4 as well as the 110 to Ofcom. The number of complaints to Sky hasn't yet been revealed.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor wrote:Ed Miliband, launching the manifesto at the Olympic Park in East London, is announcing a cap on the profits that private providers will be allowed to make from the NHS. I think that's a shrewd way of encouraging them to piss off - after all, no cash mountain = no interest.

He looks fine, hale, hearty and vigorous (for those who may be concerned about his well-being).

I notice that there are still no takers for my Grant Shapps question which I posed earlier.

Edited to add an "in"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bumboils.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

From Jim Jam on UKPR:
Latest Populus VI: Lab 33 (-), Con 31 (-), LD 9 (-), UKIP 16 (-), Greens 5 (-), Others 6
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:... I've been trying to get J to take voting seriously and to register, but as he has special needs I'm always careful not to push my beliefs onto him [except for steering clear of UKIP because he's so impressionable] so technically he was an undecided.
I have mixed feeling on that score, ohsocynical. My wife and I acting as our daughter's advocates would instruct her vote accordingly. Her having Downs Syndrome meant her understanding was limited. I'm not exactly in the same position nowadays but speaking to her carers about IDS et al am sure they're similarly minded. Not necessarily ex-LibDem but very anti this government. So thanks for reminding me; I shall raise the topic with them when I pick up my daughter.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@PF

You want to know what Shapps said ?

Have a listen from around the 2hr 20 mark:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05n1v6v#auto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't listened so I have no idea & nor do I care, frankly ;)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Miliband confirms the profits cap.

And, for the first time, we will cap the profits that private health companies can make from our National Health Service.

The standard rule will be a five per cent cap.

Because the money we pay for our health care should be invested for patient care not for excess profits for private firms.
The detail on this is interesting, but I'm hoping RobertSnozers may be around later to give his verdict as I don't have the knowledge to properly evaluate it. I made a pondering comment on CIF about the proposals and got called "silly" for my trouble so will be avoiding the G for the rest of the day, I think, because I appear to be in the mood for sensible discussion, not partisan "Labour are Red Tories/dinosaur communists" style comments today! (Sometimes, when I'm grumpy I quite like to have the odd argument with the more sensible Tory/Libdem types, but the site's full of the shouty, full-of-themselves types today).
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

The only time Clegg will debate his opponents for the Sheffield Hallam seat can be viewed here:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/vid ... -1-7178877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:@PF

You want to know what Shapps said ?
Ha! Is that you in "Are you talking to me or chewing a brick?" mode?

Thanks for the link. I'll sum up -

Grant Shapps basically said that although David Cameron didn't know any details he said the word "billions" several times which, therefore, made everything alright.

You were right not to bother.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

By the way - I've just re-read my earlier post (or posts, as it turned out) and Ed Miliband was launching the campaign - not the manifesto. Sorry for that brain-failure but I'm not going into the edit business again for a while. It didn't go well last time as you will have noticed.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Just looking at the valedictory stuff in the Commons...and look what Lansley says:
I was determined to do more—to achieve the reforms in the NHS that virtually all recent Secretaries of State knew were needed but had not been secured. Many say that I implemented a reorganisation of the NHS that I promised not to do. That is not true. The Conservative manifesto had no reference to “no top-down reorganisation”. I was elected on the Conservative manifesto and I delivered it,
Leaving aside the rather pathetic "well, the manifesto didn't say I couldn't" crap, let's see what the Coalition Agreement says.
We will stop the top-down reorganisations of the NHS that have got in the way of patient care.
That's what Lansley was bound by not his party manifesto.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Reading Aidan Burley he comes across as thoroughly unpleasant (which I think we knew already).
Finally, I thank my wife Jodie, who is sitting in the Gallery and who has worked for more than four years as the manager of my constituency office, the MP help zone. Dealing with some of the most complex cases and often the rudest and most awkward constituents, she has maintained a quiet dignity and poise that few could match.
Bet they loved that...and
In this House, I personally thank my hon. Friend the Member for Aldershot (Sir Gerald Howarth) for his unparalleled support and kindness to me, especially during the tough times,
One of Maggie's Militant Tendency - why am I not surprised?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

House of Commons Debates - ELECTIONS FOR POSITIONS IN THE HOUSE - Division No. 188 [ Procedure of the House] [26 Mar 2015]

Jesse Norman (Hereford and South Herefordshire) (Con):
On a point of order, Mr Speaker. May I express my sadness and regret that you have not seen fit to call any other Members to speak in support of the motion? [Interruption.]

Mr Speaker: If the hon. Gentleman’s complaint is that there is inadequate time for right hon. and hon. Members to be called in this debate, let me say, with a clarity that is beyond peradventure, that I would be happy to sit here all day and all night for right hon. and hon. Members. The hon. Gentleman is a constitutionalist, and I think that he prides himself on understanding Parliament. The motion was tabled by the Government, and the time for it was determined by the Government. I think that that is clear.

Jacob Rees-Mogg (North East Somerset) (Con): On a point of order, Mr Speaker. As there is such widespread demand for an increase in the time available, would it be permissible to suggest, under Standing Order 24, an emergency debate on the subject?

Mr Speaker: The answer to that, I fear—as far as the hon. Gentleman is concerned—is that the Government tabled the motion earlier in the week, which removed any possibility of Standing Order 24 debates today. The answer to the hon. Gentleman’s point of order is that there cannot be such a debate, but that is the reason. It has nothing to do with a decision by the Chair; it has to do with a judgment that the Government have made.

I must now put the Question.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 2630001164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
The House divided:
Ayes 202, Noes 228.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 2630001079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See full list of votes (From The Public Whip)
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/? ... .6#g1628.7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ICM poll for London gives Labour a 10 point lead over the Tories, in contrast to YouGov's silly findings this morning ;)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

DaveHill ‏@DaveHill · 16m16 minutes ago
Why Boris Johnson could be bailing out as London mayor on Bonfire Night http://gu.com/p/47326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've asked Dave if this means Boris is volunteering to be the effigy at the Lewes Bonfire Night event. For some odd reason he hasn't responded ...... :lol: