Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March 2015

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

Night PF:)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Steve Hilton, one of Prime Minister David Cameron's closest aides, is taking a year's break from Downing Street, Number 10 has announced.
He will take an unpaid academic sabbatical at Stanford University in the US, a spokesman said.
The PM's strategy chief, known for his "blue-sky thinking", was one of the driving forces behind Mr Cameron's flagship "Big Society" project.
2 March 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17239573
Did he ever come back? Given there was an investigation by the Indepenent into The Big Society funding?
Not according to his wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hilton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Hilton (born 25 August 1969)[1] is a former director of strategy for David Cameron, Prime Minister and leader of the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom. He is currently a lecturer and visiting scholar at Stanford University.
Saw the writing on the wall? ;)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

#MilibandMustWin is merrily trending on twitter. It makes little impact in the wider world, I know, but it's good for moral. As are all the tweets I see of Labour activists out and about campaigning. If Labour don't win it won't be because of a lack of trying.

Meanwhile this tweet about the not-a-debate debate caught my eye:
Untitled4.png
Untitled4.png (27.36 KiB) Viewed 5388 times
Really sums the whole miserable business up. Let's hope the it's-actually-a-debate-hurrah! debate coming up next is a little bit more even handed in its presentation.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:... I'm just Googling. You put a time period in which helps make it slightly easier to sort out the ones that look more interesting...
Yep, primarily the thing I was going to do, ohsocynical. I don't know about an Index of Incompetencies, it could end up being encyclopedic. Somehow I wish I'd kept a running list as time passed. There are so many that come to mind but it's difficult to put them in order. I'm not just talking of Cameron btw, but Spelman with the forests, Osborne, Lansley, Gove, Fox, Jeremy (I never call him by his surname now that his forename is synonymous with rhyming slang), Shapps, Grayling, Mensch, Miller, Zahawi, Smith (Chloe that is) and of course, IDS. Blimey my head is spinning and I haven't even begun; there must be more.

Edit: more? Yeah names escape me but there's Plebgate, floods and the environment agency and how could I miss Pickles? ...

'And May I add one more? On that note I am always amused when I see people misspell her name.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sun 29 Mar, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pe ... rs-5423970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From April 6 millions of people aged 55 and over will be able to drawn down on their retirement savings.

But Pensions Minister Steve Webb, who drew up the plans, warned against a stampede to cash in and suggested people should sit on the money for up to a decade.
It's a mis-selling disaster just waiting to happen, isn't it? All so Osborne can spend yet more of tomorrow's tax today.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

utopiandreams wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:... I'm just Googling. You put a time period in which helps make it slightly easier to sort out the ones that look more interesting...
Yep, primarily the thing I was going to do, ohsocynical. I don't know about an Index of Incompetencies, it could end up being encyclopedic. Somehow I wish I'd kept a running list as time passed. There are so many that come to mind but it's difficult to put them in order. I'm not just talking of Cameron btw, but Spelman with the forests, Osborne, Lansley, Gove, Fox, Jeremy (I never call him by his surname now that his forename is synonymous with rhyming slang), Shapps, Grayling, Mensch, Miller, Zahawi, Smith (Chloe that is) and of course, IDS. Blimey my head is spinning and I haven't even begun; there must be more.

Edit: more? Yeah names escape me but there's Plebgate, floods and the environment agency and how could I miss Pickles? ...
I had all the MPs in alphabetical order that had lied, or cocked up or made a u-turn. There were an awful lot.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pe ... rs-5423970
From April 6 millions of people aged 55 and over will be able to drawn down on their retirement savings.

But Pensions Minister Steve Webb, who drew up the plans, warned against a stampede to cash in and suggested people should sit on the money for up to a decade.
It's a mis-selling disaster just waiting to happen, isn't it? All so Osborne can spend yet more of tomorrow's tax today.
Pretty much sums it up. A lot of people with little money are going to get badly burned. It's going to make the fabled "Gordon Brown ate our hamster's pension" moment look tame in comparison.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

It's all part of the long term economic plan. Grab some cash to splash around and tell everyone how well off they are and then accuse others of profligacy when they're left to pick up the pieces.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Heard an expert the other day warning people not to touch it with a barge pole. He said it was ill thought out, & not properly planned.

In other words back of fag packet again.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:

I had all the MPs in alphabetical order that had lied, or cocked up or made a u-turn. There were an awful lot.
Eoin Clarke has a list of 100 failures (from 2013): http://www.greenbenchesuk.com/2013/10/l ... erons.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, a list of u-turns from the Graun: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -full-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

refitman wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
utopiandreams wrote: Yep, primarily the thing I was going to do, ohsocynical. I don't know about an Index of Incompetencies, it could end up being encyclopedic. Somehow I wish I'd kept a running list as time passed. There are so many that come to mind but it's difficult to put them in order. I'm not just talking of Cameron btw, but Spelman with the forests, Osborne, Lansley, Gove, Fox, Jeremy (I never call him by his surname now that his forename is synonymous with rhyming slang), Shapps, Grayling, Mensch, Miller, Zahawi, Smith (Chloe that is) and of course, IDS. Blimey my head is spinning and I haven't even begun; there must be more.

Eoin Clarke has a list of 100 failures (from 2013): http://www.greenbenchesuk.com/2013/10/l ... erons.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, a list of u-turns from the Graun: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -full-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You could also have a root around the old site, we left quite a lot there: http://flythenest.freeforums.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Amazing the SNP should now support restoring the top rate of tax to 50p, isn't it? What with it going after Labour voters.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Amazing the SNP should now support restoring the top rate of tax to 50p, isn't it? What with it going after Labour voters.
How many times have they raised taxes in Scotland? :roll:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

refitman wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Amazing the SNP should now support restoring the top rate of tax to 50p, isn't it? What with it going after Labour voters.
How many times have they raised taxes in Scotland? :roll:
You're aware of their 2007 ace? Nice £450m cut for local government.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/pr/snp_lit.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3m3 minutes ago
After last week's level pegging tonight's ComRes phone poll for Mail has
CON 36
LAB 32
LD 9
UKIP 12
GRN 5
Looks just as much an outlier as the one with Labour 4% up.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
CON 36
LAB 32
LD 9
UKIP 12
GRN 5
Is that showing a drop in the kipper vote, or do they always poll relatively low down with ComRes?
Release the Guardvarks.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Just been catching up with Hosie. What an arrogant windbag. If he wants to know about what a Labour minority government propose then make sure the SNP MPs attend the house of Commons and vote accordingly. Bring down a Labour government through voting against something identifiably core Labour values and watch your 2016 Scottish elections go up in flames. :mad:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

SNP are way ahead in the polls for Scotland. Does that mean Sturgeon is expected to be miles better in the debates?
There's been plenty of talk about Farage expected to outshine Cameron and take more wavering trad Tories further to the dark side after all.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

John Mann MP ‏@JohnMannMP · 9m9 minutes ago
After a morning meeting tomorrow, with a survivor, I will be making a significant statement on child abuse in Nottinghamshire
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
CON 36
LAB 32
LD 9
UKIP 12
GRN 5
Is that showing a drop in the kipper vote, or do they always poll relatively low down with ComRes?
They've had a drop since the start of the year:
Survey.....End Date.....CON (%).....LAB (%).....LD (%).....UKIP (%).....Grn (%).....Con Lead
ComRes.....22/03/2015..........35..........35..........8..........10..........7..........0
ComRes.....13/03/2015..........33..........35..........7..........16..........4..........-2
ComRes.....23/02/2015..........34..........32..........8..........13..........8..........2
ComRes.....12/02/2015..........32..........34..........7..........16..........4..........-2
ComRes.....25/01/2015..........31..........30..........8..........17..........7..........1
ComRes.....15/01/2015..........33..........34..........7..........18..........3..........-1

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

How did Hosie explain they just nicked the tax policy of the Red Tories?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

RobertSnozers wrote: I think a lot of people are shocked at just how much tax they will have to pay for withdrawing lump sums. One off withdrawals could be emergency taxed at 30%, and even the 'correct' level of tax will see you giving a big sum to the taxman. It's counted as income, and taxed as such.
I noticed how much additional tax had been put in the forecasts at the time of the Autumn Statement 2014 Budget. they're banking on people taking cash out earlier.

Hang on...I'll look up how much tax.

Pensions: reduce withdrawal tax rate

2014/5.........-5
2015/6......+320
2016/7......+600
2017/8......+910
2018/9....+1,220
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

The DT splash for tomorrow is just a bit odd when you read the actual story

Labour donor: David Cameron has the best economic policies

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general ... icies.html

OK, so Labour donor = Labour sympathiser?

Well, no...
He also said that Mr Miliband should take “lessons” from Margaret Thatcher in confronting the unions and supporting entrepreneurs.
and
Dr Allam disclosed that he has now given £400,000 to Labour.

He that he has given the money because he believes in two-party politics and is concerned by Mr Miliband’s reliance on union "paymasters".

At a dinner at Tony Blair’s house earlier this month, which was attended by Mr Miliband, he pledged to donate up to £1million if the unions withdraw their funding.

His beliefs have been shaped by his experiences in business and belief that the late Baroness Thatcher is the “best thing to ever happen to this country”.

He said: “Had it not been for Margaret Thatcher’s controlling the unions, we would have been the poorest country in Europe.

"By having the Labour Party totally relying on income from the union, the paymaster, then the Labour Party finds itself having to please the paymaster. Labour is too reliant on the union’s and their money."
So you don't mind the party being dependent on rich donors but object to millions of individual workers?

This is the tosser that was trying to get the name of his local club changed from Hull City to Hull City Tigers or Hull Tigers.

Take his money and then ignore him. He's certainly no friend of Labour.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:It seems to me that the SNP wants all the benefits of formal coalition with none of the drawbacks.

I have a word for them. Two, in fact.
Given they've made so much on the "standing with the Tories" stuff, I think they'll be fairly easily leaned on.

I think they've overdone the schtick. They'd have got a good boost from the referendum anyway. I think they've boxed themselves in more than they needed to.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:It seems to me that the SNP wants all the benefits of formal coalition with none of the drawbacks.

I have a word for them. Two, in fact.
Given they've made so much on the "standing with the Tories" stuff, I think they'll be fairly easily leaned on.

I think they've overdone the schtick. They'd have got a good boost from the referendum anyway. I think they've boxed themselves in more than they needed to.
I would tend to agree. An incoming minority Labour government could take three approaches.

- negotiate a formal agreement, covering a guarantee of support in return for certain things. This would get the SNP to sign up to a whole program.

- Ignore the SNP but tailor the program to avoid things they don't like.
- ignore the SNP and just go with the manifesto program.

I don't believe the SNP can bring down a Labour government, or even impede a populist program. The problem is government sometimes needs unpopular measures and if these can't be taken it is an issue. Labour must avoid the weak government endured by Major. If a PM is regularly defeated, has to placate lots of interests to win votes or go begging for support the voters will punish him.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

yahyah wrote:Ouch indeed Oh So. & public transport here is virtually non existent.
Sorry to hear about the car, @yahyah – that's a hellish bill to be facing and worse when there's almost no public transport. There are times when I'm truly grateful to live in London and to have never learnt to drive a car.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

As of midnight we no longer have any MPs, only candidates.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:As you may have already noticed I am back here regularly now, so have removed the sig 8-)

Let battle commence!
Very glad to hear it :)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

RobertSnozers wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:Sorry to hear about the car Yahyah. Mine is in a similar state - 12 years old, effectively worthless, and I have a feeling about due for a very big bill. Worse, I've just discovered that my spare wheel, a matching alloy with a medium profile tyre on it has been stolen by one garage or another and replaced with a cheap steel wheel that doesn't fit. Not only have I been ripped off, I could have been left stranded. There are some scum out there.
Forgive me for not posting sooner, RobertSnozers, I hope you're feeling better now. I missed you.
Thanks CJA! I'm not feeling great, let's just call it man flu. Supposed to be on holiday for my wedding anniversary but have a touch of the black dog as well as the chest full of wet cement, so I need to snap out of it for the sake of my other half.
And congratulations to you both for your Anniversary. Hope the black dog disappears back into its kennel and takes the man-flu with it (or vice versa...)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:Roderick Cooper retweeted
linda smith ‏@LabLinda75 Mar 27

Anyone notice Stonehenge, Dover Castle & other Eng Heritage properties were privatised yesterday? Sneaky parting shot from this vile Govt.
Folded into English Heritage the charity, which was launched on Saturday. I haven't read the full constitution of the new charity but hope it has a no sale clause in it. No clues from the parties, yet, on whether it will receive any Government grants now it's no longer an NGO/AL(M)O/QUANGO/pick-yr-own-acronym as it was.