Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March 2015

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Ian Jones ‏@joneyi1 now
“@MSmithsonPB: LAB takes 4% lead with YouGov in poll all taken after Thurs TV programme
LAB 36%
Con 32%
LD 8%
Ukip 13%
Green 6”
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dan Crawford ‏@dancrawford85 4m4 minutes ago

Labour lead by four with @YouGov tonight:
Labour 36%,
Conservatives 32%,
UKIP 13%,
Lib Dems 8%,
Greens 6%

#hellyes
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

utopiandreams wrote:Excuse me, I thought I was reading the 2010 Queen's Speech, that was my start date I entered, but have just noticed the date in my quoted extract. Seems I haven't really woken up today despite having my usual three to fours hours uninterrupted sleep. To back up my dim-wittedness, ohsocynical had me in a mild panic with her mention of the clocks going forward. I thought bloody hell I took my youngest to work somewhat late before realising that she meant tonight.

Edit: yeah I'd better not do too much thinking today, I also recall putting my bank card in the gas meter earlier.
I'm so glad I'm not the only person to put their bank card in the gas meter. I needed to use the emergency credit and when the meter failed to recognise the card, even though I tried taking it out and putting it in again, I just sat on the floor and wept. It wasn't until I'd dried my eyes and blown my nose that I looked properly at the card and saw it was my debit card!
P.S I often have to ask my friend V to do my thinking for me ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ooops Snap. Still, worth two looks eh.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Oh dear there are some really unhappy people on Twitter re: that YouGov poll. :D
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

LAB 36%
Con 32%
LD 8%
Ukip 13%
Green 6
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

oh sorry, snap :twisted:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

LAB 36%
Con 32%
LD 8%
Ukip 13%
Green 6”
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

oops :oops:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tories burying an inconvenient report? Surely not!

Lords accuse Tories of ‘burying’ review that cleared EU of interference

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/m ... ers-review
Ministers have been accused by a cross-party group of peers of trying to “bury” the results of the biggest ever Whitehall examination of European Union powers, after it found no evidence that the EU was interfering excessively in any aspect of British life.

In a hugely damaging move for the government, the European Union Committee of the House of Lords, chaired by former Tory minister Lord Boswell, comes close to saying that ministers tried to cover up the findings, which do not support David Cameron’s claims that the EU is “becoming a state” and has already accrued excessive powers.

By contrast, the so-called “balance of competences” review – hailed by William Hague in 2012 as the “most extensive analysis of the impact of UK membership of the EU ever undertaken” – found no area with a case for transferring powers back from Brussels.
Oops.

Things going really well Dave...no wonder you've started started on the insults.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@TheGrimSqueaker

Goodnight!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

LadyCentauria wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:Excuse me, I thought I was reading the 2010 Queen's Speech, that was my start date I entered, but have just noticed the date in my quoted extract. Seems I haven't really woken up today despite having my usual three to fours hours uninterrupted sleep. To back up my dim-wittedness, ohsocynical had me in a mild panic with her mention of the clocks going forward. I thought bloody hell I took my youngest to work somewhat late before realising that she meant tonight.

Edit: yeah I'd better not do too much thinking today, I also recall putting my bank card in the gas meter earlier.
I'm so glad I'm not the only person to put their bank card in the gas meter. I needed to use the emergency credit and when the meter failed to recognise the card, even though I tried taking it out and putting it in again, I just sat on the floor and wept. It wasn't until I'd dried my eyes and blown my nose that I looked properly at the card and saw it was my debit card!
Try making a 'phone call on the TV remote control. I often find that a very rewarding experience . . .
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:

Try making a 'phone call on the TV remote control. I often find that a very rewarding experience . . .
And would have the added bonus of being able to find your phone, when you're looking for it while you're "on" the remote to someone (if you get my drift)
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

“@alliomack: NO BIAS? here's the woman with Cameron before she interviewed on Paxman, holding hands! ” wtf

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How sweet.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

tinyclanger2 wrote:very bad move
If this is re the mug, it is one of the series of 5 based on Labours "pledge card" promises.

And yes, one of those was "controls on immigration".

I admit I am not totally sold on this being one of the 5 myself, but it also needs to be realised (and some on here may not like it) that unlimited immigration is only supported by a small minority of people in this country. However this does not mean the rest are ignorant xenophobes, racists and bigots - again, only a minority are (and not a much bigger one, if at all) Most people recognise that immigration has real benefits, but also that it needs to be controlled and managed.

As they say, discuss (where's that tinhat smiley when you need it ;) )
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:

I once got to work and tried to gain entry to the car park with my swipe card...which turned out to be my library card. Ah, no wonder it didn't work.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, PF
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
If this is re the mug, it is one of the series of 5 based on Labours "pledge card" promises.

I admit I am not totally sold on this being one of the 5 myself, but it also needs to be realised (and some on here may not like it) that unlimited immigration is only supported by a small minority of people in this country. However this does not mean the rest are ignorant xenophobes, racists and bigots - again, only a minority are (and not a much bigger one, if at all) Most people recognise that immigration has real benefits, but also that it needs to be controlled and managed.

I don't think it's really that bad. I was just saying much the same as you did to someone else just now. It's not exactly a bombshell, is it? To leave that mug out of the collection would, in my opinion, have been a major gaffe. I suppose not doing the mugs at all would have been the only option.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ citizenJA

Goodnight - sleep well and be ready to spring forward one hour for tomorrow!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Remarkable
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 22.44.44.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 22.44.44.png (93.48 KiB) Viewed 7718 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The most astonishing thing in that is the admission of "success" - 24 hours ago the right wing MSM was still trying to hold the line that Cameron was the real "winner" :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

I don't think it's really that bad. I was just saying much the same as you did to someone else just now. It's not exactly a bombshell, is it? To leave that mug out of the collection would, in my opinion, have been a major gaffe. I suppose not doing the mugs at all would have been the only option.
Exactly.

You can almost imagine whoever had the idea of doing the mugs for the first couple of pledges going "oh shit"....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Remarkable
Hell, yes!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: If this is re the mug, it is one of the series of 5 based on Labours "pledge card" promises.

Exactly.

You can almost imagine whoever had the idea of doing the mugs for the first couple of pledges going "oh shit"....

I know I've already thanked you for the post but I just wanted to report in to say that I'm still tittering at that mental image.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote: I'm so glad I'm not the only person to put their bank card in the gas meter. I needed to use the emergency credit and when the meter failed to recognise the card, even though I tried taking it out and putting it in again, I just sat on the floor and wept. It wasn't until I'd dried my eyes and blown my nose that I looked properly at the card and saw it was my debit card!

I once got to work and tried to gain entry to the car park with my swipe card...which turned out to be my library card. Ah, no wonder it didn't work.
Last week I went to watch Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough and, rather than show the guy on the turnstile my credit-card season ticket, I handed over my bus ticket. The look on his face as he tried to process this strange turn of events was priceless but probably not has funny as my own as I realised what an idiot I'd been. :o
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good evening everybody

Coming into the home straight now with things looking okay, but more tension to come

The Tories really are despicable and we should all focus on having them out in May. No combination of other parties can be as bad and Miliband is a man who will surprise his doubters I hope....may not win on all smoothness and plasticity but I think we have all had enough of that haven't we?

What is almost a certainty though is that the Tories will have failed to win a majority again......1992 being the last.......and will no longer (to be honest they aren't now) a national party. The are a party of the affluent areas and the affluent classes and that reeks of only one outcome...feudalism

Just on the immigration mug...I fails to see what else they can do (although the mg is crap to be fair). Immigration is a big issue in the poorer communities and has to be addressed....ignoring it will not work. An anodyne statement on 'Controls on Immigration' gives a lot of leeway (who really wants no controls?) and I will wait to see the manifesto

I expect, and know from personal experience, that the UKIP approach is not as widely supported as they like to think but it can fester away if Labour ignores this (the Tories and UKIP are pretty close on this subject and UKIP seems to be writing Tory policies on this so will refer to them both as UKIP).

I hope to see a balanced proposal by Labour on immigration, making it a hospitable place for those who come to reside in the UK but also with a clampdown on immigrant exploitation and providing adequate support for communities where they reside.

We all seem to shy away from discussions on immigration but we shouldn't and we shouldn't expect the Labour Party to either. What we should demand is that any policies are sensible and balanced. If Labour really tries to follow the UKIP agenda then we should shout loudly at that point!

By the way the media can fuck right off and I would hope to see some proposals for implementation of Leveson and some controls on foreign ownership of our media.....I want to see the faces of those establishment lickspittles at the BBC and elsewhere come a Miliband premiership. Revenge is a dish best served with arsenic!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

PorFavor wrote:From Swarthlander's link to the Huffington Post article -
David Cameron has admitted the General Election is on a "knife-edge" as he set out to woo voters with the promise of a "truly seven-day" NHS if the Conservatives are returned to power on May 7. (my emphasis)
So the NHS has got seven days left after a Conservative election win? Sounds about right.

Edited to add -

And those were his exact words (in the above quote) - I've just heard him say it.
Apparently, "millions can already see their GP seven days a week." Who knew? Unless he's counting the patients of GP practices which still do home visits themselves rather than through an external cover service. He can't possibly be talking about surgeries that are open seven days a week, can he?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Are things starting to move on Palestine ?
Barack Obama’s top aide says Israeli ‘occupation’ must end
Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/d ... z3Vj1eAhof" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And
Russia to help Palestinians to independent state

http://axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/A ... 9811.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This academy made a song and dance about its "zero tolerance" approach.

It's just had a disastrous Ofsted.

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection ... ELS/137779" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Behaviour found to be not very good at all- sounds like mischievous kids have thought "In for a penny, in for a pound". So many suspensions that lots of kids falling behing. And school hasn't been keeping up recording them.

Sounded so easy, that Sheriff Mikey stuff. Though worth recalling that Mikey's intake was gerrymandered nicely in the first place. Being pedantic about ties with kids committed to learning is one thing. Doing it with kids who are less committed doesn't always go down that well.

Seems like those softy teachers might have known what they're doing after all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see that Osborne and Michael Green are going for Miliband too as reported in the DT.
In a three-pronged attack, Grant Shapps, the Tory chairman, said Ed Miliband is the least prepared Labour leader since Neil Kinnock,
Not quite sure what that's supposed to mean - besides being Brown's SpAd at the treasury and a minister for two years, Miliband was a cabinet minister whereas neither Kinnock nor Blair even had been anywhere near government before they became PM.

And neither it should be pointed out...had Cameron or Osborne. Miliband has more experience in government than either of them before they took office.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yeah, what a bizarre attack. He's also been an MP a year longer than Cameron had.

Neil Kinnock had been an MP for 17 and 22 years when he "ran for PM".
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The most astonishing thing in that is the admission of "success" - 24 hours ago the right wing MSM was still trying to hold the line that Cameron was the real "winner" :)
They had to give up.

Plan B is "Cameron builds momentum".
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Yeah, what a bizarre attack. He's also been an MP a year longer than Cameron had.

They're losing it right now - they've got nothing good to say about their own story as it involves cuts, cuts and more cuts*...so they've turned the guns on Miliband.

* Apart from the 7 day week NHS which is funded from...where exactly?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I see that Osborne and Michael Green are going for Miliband too as reported in the DT.
In a three-pronged attack, Grant Shapps, the Tory chairman, said Ed Miliband is the least prepared Labour leader since Neil Kinnock,
Not quite sure what that's supposed to mean - besides being Brown's SpAd at the treasury and a minister for two years, Miliband was a cabinet minister whereas neither Kinnock nor Blair even had been anywhere near government before they became PM.

And neither it should be pointed out...had Cameron or Osborne. Miliband has more experience in government than either of them before they took office.
And an extra year as an MP too.

Cameron thinks knocking around with Etonians counts as experience.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Yeah, what a bizarre attack. He's also been an MP a year longer than Cameron had.

They're losing it right now - they've got nothing good to say about their own story as it involves cuts, cuts and more cuts*...so they've turned the guns on Miliband.

* Apart from the 7 day week NHS which is funded from...where exactly?
Funded from other parts of the NHS below the radar, and operating only in a few places of which Hunt claims ownership. Some guff is then talked about how clever old Hunt will get everywhere operating 24/7. When people ask questions later, someone like the Royal College of Nursing will be blamed as blocking it.

You might notice a similarity with the Academies programme here.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

peace
love
sleep
labour majority
cJA
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I went to see Cabaret this evening, put on by my daughter's college (she was in the orchestra) and was reminded of this, the send-off Spitting Image gave to the General Election campaign of 1987

[youtube]ReIAna459sg[/youtube]
Last edited by adam on Sun 29 Mar, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I still believe in a town called Hope
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The most astonishing thing in that is the admission of "success" - 24 hours ago the right wing MSM was still trying to hold the line that Cameron was the real "winner" :)
I tend to agree with that. Stepping back for a minute, one poll is just one poll. That 4 point lead may well be an outlier. However I keep coming back to fundamentals.

The Tory policy offer is just shit, it really is. More of the same (rich old people well off, poor and middle incomes struggling). Miliband is weak, vote for macho Dave (the Toff on your side). We will get tax cuts to the rich by hammering the NHS and screwing over the disabled.

The reason Cameron has gone personal is because he has nothing to offer. This is actually a massive strategic mistake (I cannot believe Crosby sanctioned it). By getting dirty, Cameron sacrifices the statesman card, he now just looks grubby. I thought the best moment of the Paxman interview was when Paxo claimed Miliband was a North London geek and Miliband just smiled, shrugged his shoulders and said "meh". This bollocks from Cameron will get the same treatment.

Labour should ignore the insults and keep talking about their future vision.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:Good-evening, ScarletGas, Discordandharmony & Tubby Isaaces!
Apologies if I've neglected to name a specific friend I've not had the pleasure of reading for awhile.
Good-evening, all.
Seconded :) And welcome to our latest new member Lilylupin – hope you'll come in and join the conversations!
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Just been watching Click and rather than complain to the BBC thought I'd pass my thoughts on here. I was particularly incensed that a small clip did not carry a warning, not exactly a health warning but one of well-being nevertheless. They demonstrated how to make a smart phone stand using a paper-clip, but not once did they advise that you should first seek the owner's permission.

The reason I say this is that amongst many of the words of advice that I have passed to my kids and their friends is never ever break your employers' trust. Whether it be by lying or by stealing something as insignificant as a paper-clip, once broken trust is particularly hard to regain. It's a pity that our politicians were never similarly advised.

Cameron may advise us of a choice between competence or chaos or that lefties are holier than thou. No just holier than you, dim-wit. So far Miliband seems far more trustworthy, which is refreshing for a modern politician. Please take heed of my words, Ed, and do not let us down.

Edit: repeated word!
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sun 29 Mar, 2015 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

RobertSnozers wrote:Morning all. Have been ill and can't sleep, so...
Sorry to hear that Robert and thanks for the thumbs-up. I've not read your contribution yet but shall do so later as I'm going out. Yep this isn't insomnia. Nevertheless I only had 2½ hours of uninterrupted sleep; I really need at least three (3½ to 4 is preferable).
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Back now, but before I start reading posts did anybody watch Coalition last night. I'd forgotten all about it and by the time I saw it was on it was too late even on +1. No doubt it's available on 4oD but is it worth it. Thanks in advance.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Sorry to hear you're ill, @Robert Snozers. That funding hold-up is terrible and as for having to start the process all over again with documents already signed because there'd been a change of logo is just – well, it's beyond words!

@utopiandreams: I watched it but forgot to say. Yes, it's worth watching as a dramatised-documentary although how 'true' it is, in 'who said what to whom' terms, is hard to say. But it works. I gave up my weekly fix of Montalbano for it; and stayed with it instead of switching over, which I'd thought I might before it started. Certainly took me back to five years ago.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Final thoughts before watching the Grand Prix. I recently read that the more intelligent we are the more prone to lying, something that I found particularly disheartening when comparing myself to the vast array of, particularly government, politicians that grace our screens. However I was soon able to console my hurt pride with the realisation that I must therefore have deserved my many beatings as a child.

The other day when I was baby-sitting, my granddaughter picked up a polished pebble necklace and tried to put it over my head. Yeah there may have been a time I wore beads and bangles but those days are well and truly passed. Anyway as I was trying to stop her and being concerned that she may break the catch I told her to stop playing with it, it was her mum's and not hers and that Mummy would be cross if she broke it; she insisted it were hers as she would. Nevertheless I stuck to my guns advising her otherwise and put them well out of her way once I had retrieved them.

Oh dear a right tantrum ensued with her eventually lying face down on the floor, almost screaming. No worries just a test of wills. After several minutes her brother who had been present throughout asked what was wrong with her and after I explained told me that it was in fact hers, it being a present from her maternal grandmother. I felt a little peeved that it had taken him so long to notice, but what could I do, his having an attention disorder? After my profuse apologies to little one I explained how silly Grandad was. But then she, and I, already knew that.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Morning all. Blast the clocks going forward. It takes me weeks to adjust. A wet Sunday morning, so mowing the lawn can be cancelled out. :D

Just found this on Twitter.
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 43 mins43 minutes ago

This is Big. Very big. Tory Thugs (wearing Alex Salmond mask in disguise) were behind physical assault on Ed Miliband

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/si ... gn-5420141
If true oh dear.

Edited to add this.
jolly_angelina ‏@jolly_angelina 22 mins22 minutes ago

.@philleehh Tim Smith, Tory press officer mentioned. Is this the disgraced MP who took £25k off Al Fayed? @LabourEoin
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sun 29 Mar, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

A scathing review of the police’s failure to investigate rapes has been delayed until after the ­election to avoid a public outcry.
Officers have been told the damning report, which was due to be published last month, has been shelved because of “political interference”.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/po ... rt-5419517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This government has a very large lumpy carpet. :roll:

Good morning. :D
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning, wet and windy here too. Daffodils and new lambs are getting a bashing.

I know several FTNers have been following NHS property sell off and the Indie think it a good thing.

Their editorial:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/edi ... 41313.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

& their 'exclusive':
'NHS property sale could raise £7.5bn to help pay off its growing deficit and free up space for housing'

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 41506.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to add: The Indie think the sell off is a good thing, not that several FTNers have been following the story. Anyone got an old copy of 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves' ?
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 29 Mar, 2015 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Post duplicated
Last edited by Swarthlander on Sun 29 Mar, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"