Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Just saw a piece on BBC NewsWatch complaining about the Landale/Cameron love in. The person complaining made the point that "maybe BBC News should stick to reporting the news".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... h-27032015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th March 2015

Post by Spacedone »

refitman wrote:Morning all. Just saw a piece on BBC NewsWatch complaining about the Landale/Cameron love in. The person complaining made the point that "maybe BBC News should stick to reporting the news".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... h-27032015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shouldn't that read "start to report" rather than "stick to reporting"?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

I see the lady who asked the shockingly soft question about disability to David Cameron, has written a shockingly soft article in the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -coalition

Amusingly her timing is a bit off and she is getting a hammering BTL.

I am sure she is a lovely person, but her grovelling question to fat Dave really pissed me off. She seems utterly unprepared to point the finger at those primarily responsible for the decline in quality of life for the disabled.
Release the Guardvarks.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:I see the lady who asked the shockingly soft question about disability to David Cameron, has written a shockingly soft article in the Guardian.

I am sure she is a lovely person, but her grovelling question to fat Dave really pissed me off. She seems utterly unprepared to point the finger at those primarily responsible for the decline in quality of life for the disabled.
I've not read her article, TechnicalEphemera, but having seen her question and apparent approval of Cameron's answer wouldn't have done so anyway. To be fair, and I say this as one who has not read what she has to say, I'm presuming that she has a disability but is not ill, the criterion that ephemeird correctly points out. She, the questioner, presumably is wanting work and faces the prospect of potential employers looking at what she cannot do rather than what she can, something that I can sympathise with. Even so when I was an employer I wanted staff who could do everything that could be reasonably expected.

Cameron's response may have been music to her ears, nevertheless he does not make the illness/disabilty distinction. Considering his own father and his son with their differing circumstances, you'd have expected better from him. Even worse is that instead of showing understanding Cameron is a man who uses his dead son's memory to express faux support for that we hold dear.

Edit replaced apparently with apparent. Not checked the rest so apologies if any further mistakes that shall stand.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Dr Clare Gerarda [ex Chair of the Council of the Royal College of General Practitioners] tweeted this morning:

Clare Gerada @clarercgp · 2h 2 hours ago
Sadly , last week, I referred more patients to the food bank than I did to AE. 'something profoundly wrong with the way we live today'
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Morning all.

I've read in a couple of places that the Guardian polling after the "Battle For No 10" programme the other night was closed as soon as it showed a Tory lead; anybody else heard this, or seen evidence to support it? Sadly sounds all too plausible.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Morning all.

I've read in a couple of places that the Guardian polling after the "Battle For No 10" programme the other night was closed as soon as it showed a Tory lead; anybody else heard this, or seen evidence to support it? Sadly sounds all too plausible.
I don't know if CGAS is an acronym, TheGrimSqueaker, but it bloody ought to be. Not toward you, you understand.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Our Plaid candidate [Mike Parker] is claiming that he is being told by Labour voters that they will lend him their vote.

It is difficult.

Labour need a high % vote if they are to gain a sense of legitimacy to govern as well as seats.
But voting Plaid here to help kick out our Lib Dem MP, and to help stop Clegg re-uniting with the Tories does seem an attractive option.
Not an option I'm going to take, one of the reasons I joined Labour was to stop my political roving eye as it nearly got me in trouble in 2010.

But, if we are talking to family, friends and the person in the shop queue - make sure people realise that Labour need a high total % vote as well as seats ? Or am I wrong [again :lol: ]
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Sounds as though it could be right. The poll readings certainly came out pretty sharpish.

Btw, don't particularly want to go back to the Jack Monroe stuff but has anyone read her New Statesman piece this week? A lot was made of her "I didn't leave the Labour Party it left me" I defy anyone to read her NS diary and come to that conclusion. Reads the other way round tbh.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternon.

Here we go again . . . .
Leaflet drop fuels belief that Mike Hancock will stand in Portsmouth South

SPECULATION is mounting that Portsmouth South MP Mike Hancock will attempt to keep his seat by standing as an independent in the general election.

His team has distributed leaflets across the constituency outlining his achievements since taking office in 1997.

Stuart Crow @stucrow
Follow

Understand Mike Hancock's agent was at the pre-election meeting of agents etc with the Returning Officer today. We'll soon know for sure...
11:01 PM - 23 Mar 2015

‘I will make a statement about my decision in my time. Nominations don’t have to be in until April 9, which happens to be my birthday.’ (News)
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/ ... -1-6660480
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

36 years today the SNP voted with the Thatcher led Conservatives to bring down the Callaghan government. They ended up, after that losing but two of their own seats.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Sounds as though it could be right. The poll readings certainly came out pretty sharpish.

Btw, don't particularly want to go back to the Jack Monroe stuff but has anyone read her New Statesman piece this week? A lot was made of her "I didn't leave the Labour Party it left me" I defy anyone to read her NS diary and come to that conclusion. Reads the other way round tbh.
I still file under naive. What the hell does she think Labour is supposed to do about poverty as a national issue when it is not in power?
Wave a magic wand and make it all better, I suspect. I wonder if she throws a temper tantrum every time she doesn't get an answer she likes?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

I still file under naive. What the hell does she think Labour is supposed to do about poverty as a national issue when it is not in power?
Wave a magic wand and make it all better, I suspect. I wonder if she throws a temper tantrum every time she doesn't get an answer she likes?
What did the Green party say when she asked them the same question, I wonder.
His reply started with: “If we get into government . . .” I shouted at him: full-on, temper-lost shouting.
All very well to talk about what you would do to 'save the world from poverty' but when sat on an Opposition bench, the answer is that there's not a damn lot you can do.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

There was an unusual, appraisal on Cameron,
on Today programme around 8:40
Said a number of Tory MPs, would prefer Labour to win to get rid of him. Sounded a bit like a political obituary!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05nk25n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

tinybgoat wrote:There was an unusual, appraisal on Cameron,
Said a number of Tory MPs, would prefer Labour to win to get rid of him. Sounded a bit like a political obituary!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05nk25n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pretty short-sighted of them if true. He's the slick glossy public face of a pretty nasty bunch of people. He's successfully distracted some people from the ugly reality of what is happening out of the spotlight and losing that isn't going to help them improve their polling.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

It has been claimed that ICM poll started taking responses before Ed had even finished with Paxman (if so, some will have missed his strong conclusion before making their choice) Their desire to get an "instant" result trumping all else, it seems :roll:

Also that some who took part didn't watch it all the way through anyway......

(I also vaguely recall that back in 2010 some "instant" polls gave those debates to Dave, despite the subsequent surge for Clegg and the LibDems - hmmm)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Spacedone wrote:

Pretty short-sighted of them if true. He's the slick glossy public face of a pretty nasty bunch of people. He's successfully distracted some people from the ugly reality of what is happening out of the spotlight and losing that isn't going to help them improve their polling.
True. And utterly beyond (my) comprehension. For me he has, what's known in Liverpool (and possibly elsewhere but this was where I picked it up), "the kind of face you'd never tire of kicking."
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Spacedone wrote:

Not sure how true it is, and it wasn't the focus of the article,
there was more too it, generally about Cameron's approach
to government.
My real interest in highlighting it was surprise that BBC had broadcast it, suggests something has changed?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:I see the lady who asked the shockingly soft question about disability to David Cameron, has written a shockingly soft article in the Guardian.

Morning all. I was up at the crack of dawn moving my living room furniture around. Had the settee pulled right up to the fire in our effort to keep just the one room heated overwinter, but in deference to the clocks going forward and daffs out, it's back to normal. Even swept some corners out! Mr Ohso's not daft. He lingered in bed until I'd finished.

Re the disabled lady.
I thought the same but didn't like to say. A plant. She had to be. Or someone 're-wrote' her question. Although the Beeb didn't mention it, Dave being heckled by the wrinklies the other day has, maybe, made us even more aware of Coalition MPs and our illustrious leader being given a soft ride by the right wing media.
To be fair I should think TV studios are quite daunting, but her question was so lame there's no excuse although if she'd pinned him to the floor and sat on his chest she wouldn't have got an honest answer.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sat 28 Mar, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternon.

Here we go again . . . .

SPECULATION is mounting that Portsmouth South MP Mike Hancock will attempt to keep his seat by standing as an independent in the general election.

His team has distributed leaflets across the constituency outlining his achievements since taking office in 1997.

Stuart Crow @stucrow
Follow

Understand Mike Hancock's agent was at the pre-election meeting of agents etc with the Returning Officer today. We'll soon know for sure...

‘I will make a statement about my decision in my time. Nominations don’t have to be in until April 9, which happens to be my birthday.’ (News)
Morning all.
I recall reading somewhere (possibly Private Eye) that an ex MP gets a better pay off if they are defeated at a GE as opposed to standing down
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

danesclose wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternon.

Here we go again . . . .

Stuart Crow @stucrow
Follow

Morning all.
I recall reading somewhere (possibly Private Eye) that an ex MP gets a better pay off if they are defeated at a GE as opposed to standing down

Yes - you're quite correct. They get a sort of "redundancy" pay-off if, as a sitting MP, they run for election and lose. Not standing means no pay-off.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Good morning. :D

YouGov have just asked me my voting intention. 8-) It's a long time since they last asked me. :roll:

I wonder if the MWA will skewer my reply. Maybe they should ask me another five times. :P
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Cameron getting a bit of a (surprising) mauling on BBC News24 over his (I paraphrase) arrogant and self-regarding statement to bugger off in 2020. Janet Daley even getting stuck in. Ed Miliband is also getting a fair bit of praise (but not, I should point out, from JD). Sorry to be so vague about the people involved - I was making a cup of tea so didn't catch the names of everyone involved.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Swarthlander wrote:Good morning. :D

YouGov have just asked me my voting intention. 8-) It's a long time since they last asked me. :roll:

I wonder if the MWA will skewer my reply. Maybe they should ask me another five times. :P
Don't forget to factor in your own clipped doo-dah.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Regarding the index of incompetencies that I wish to compile, I've decided upon some sort of chronological listing so have started with Hansard beginning with the Queen's Speech, notwithstanding items already supplied by ohsocynical and any others that people may proffer. No I haven't really started as I am having the weekend off but was just looking over a coffee.

Getting to the point, RobertSnozers and I have recently mentioned passage of the Health and Social Care Act 2012, perhaps others too so apologies if not mentioned. Anyway whether or not Cameron promised no top down reorganisation, something he called a bottom up one after a prostate examination or whether as Lansley claims that it was in the Conservative manifesto, alarm bells should have been ringing from the outset.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 0149000001
1 May 2012 : Column 1373

Reform of the public services has been a priority for my ministers. To this end, legislation has been enacted to reform the National Health Service, postal services and other public services.
Edit: corrected notwithstanding. Don't know how it became three words, probably a lack of attention.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2 mins2 minutes ago

It's now 30/1 with Betfair Sportsbook that Clegg/Salmond & Farage will all fail to be elected on May 7th. Was 50/1
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

So where's the cash coming from to pay for a 'truly 7 day NHS'?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... government
Speaking at the Conservative spring conference in Manchester, the prime minister will set out plans for hospitals across England to offer diagnostics and consultant clinics at the weekend, as well as during the week.
And I love this:
“Heart attacks, major accidents, babies – these things don’t just come from nine to five. And the truth is that you are actually more likely to die if you turn up at the hospital at the weekend. Some of the resources are not up and running. The key decision-makers aren’t always there.”
What the bloody hell? What an idiot.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for UD?
What the TORIES/LIBERAL DEMOCRATS have “Achieved” whilst in Government:

https://kittysjones.wordpress.com/2012/ ... er-at-all/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No references, but the list of "achievements" (you have to scroll down to them) should give a starting point.
HTH
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 12 mins12 minutes ago

Labour goes all in on "hell yes" with a t-shirt for £15-donating supporters.

Looks as if that's going to be the slogan that sticks...Like it.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Deleted a double-post
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Excuse me, I thought I was reading the 2010 Queen's Speech, that was my start date I entered, but have just noticed the date in my quoted extract. Seems I haven't really woken up today despite having my usual three to fours hours uninterrupted sleep. To back up my dim-wittedness, ohsocynical had me in a mild panic with her mention of the clocks going forward. I thought bloody hell I took my youngest to work somewhat late before realising that she meant tonight.

Edit: yeah I'd better not do too much thinking today, I also recall putting my bank card in the gas meter earlier.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

'Something nasty is stirring': inside Nigel Farage's battle for South Thanet
First the Ukip leader declared his candidacy, then Al Murray and the Prophet Zebadiah of Ooog. Who will win? Constituent Marina O’Loughlin joins the protesters on the campaign trail

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

ohsocynical wrote:Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 12 mins12 minutes ago

Available this weekend only,
have got one for Mrs bgoat,
suspect not yet out of bed bgoat, may want one when she surfaces,
It's getting pricey this democracy thing.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

So where's the cash coming from to pay for a 'truly 7 day NHS'?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... government
Speaking at the Conservative spring conference in Manchester, the prime minister will set out plans for hospitals across England to offer diagnostics and consultant clinics at the weekend, as well as during the week.
And I love this:
“Heart attacks, major accidents, babies – these things don’t just come from nine to five. And the truth is that you are actually more likely to die if you turn up at the hospital at the weekend. Some of the resources are not up and running. The key decision-makers aren’t always there.”
What the bloody hell? What an idiot.
Can't read about it nor listen to him.

Admissions at the weekend have worse outcomes because they tend to be more sick in the first place.

He knows it, you know it, I know it, everybody knows it - whether they admit it is a different matter entirely.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yes - I was tempted but I really don't like to wear red (or, for that matter, clothing with writing on it). Am I being too superficial? I will, however, be wearing my Grayson Perry shopping bag over my head . . .

(Actually, I bought that for my daughter as she wanted one.)

Edited to add more insight into my sartorial preferences (the bit in brackets).
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Just seen this tweet from @labourpress.
Does anyone know any more about it?
Ouch. A few days ago DC was heckled by pensioners, today he's heckled by his own party members at his own general election launch.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Anyone have a link? I fancy a red t-shirt. :P
I've tried the Labour Part site and all I get is 20 questions. :roll:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Swarthlander wrote:

You could try via this -

theteam@labour.org.uk

Hope it works for you.

Er - sorry. You could try typing it in?
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:

Yes - I was tempted but I really don't like to wear red (or, for that matter, clothing with writing on it). Am I being too superficial? I will, however, be wearing my Grayson Perry shopping bag over my head . . .

(Actually, I bought that for my daughter as she wanted one.)

Edited to add more insight into my sartorial preferences (the bit in brackets).
Hadn't seen that,
just Googled "Grayson Perry shopping bag",
first image a bit shocking,
Couldn't imagine wearing it overhead!
then found link to piggy/lion
OK, understand now.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:Is this the sort of thing you are looking for UD?
What the TORIES/LIBERAL DEMOCRATS have “Achieved” whilst in Government:

https://kittysjones.wordpress.com/2012/ ... er-at-all/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No references, but the list of "achievements" (you have to scroll down to them) should give a starting point.
HTH
Cracking stuff there, perfect for shooting the fox of the "Liebour & Tories, both the same" herberts .... not that they will bother reading it, obviously.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Swarthlander wrote:

I'm not sure this is the right place but have a look at this link:

https://secure.unionstogether.org.uk/pa ... n-t-shirts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm soooo tempted....
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Swarthlander wrote:

Try:-

https://donation.labour.org.uk/w/hell-yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
Swarthlander wrote:

I'm not sure this is the right place but have a look at this link:

https://secure.unionstogether.org.uk/pa ... n-t-shirts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm soooo tempted....

Thanks for the link. I think that's cheaper than on the Labour Party site!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rachel Reeves writes to Iain Duncan Smith to demand he comes clean about impact of £12billion welfare cuts on disabled people and carers
Dear Secretary of State,

This week the Prime Minister confirmed to Jeremy Paxman that your party intends to make £12 billion of cuts to the Social Security budget in the next Parliament.

The BBC reported on 27.03.2015 that your Department has prepared plans for you with many of these cuts falling on disabled people and carers. It is reported that the proposals were commissioned by Conservative Party officials and have been discussed between you and Chancellor George Osborne in recent weeks.

The changes in this document would have a hugely damaging impact on the lives of disabled people and their carers. They will want confirmation whether any of these proposals would be implemented by a future Conservative Government. Your statement yesterday provided no clarity on what may or may not be part of your plans for the next Parliament. Yet with less than six weeks until the election the public have a right to know what your plans are.

[more text]

I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely,

Rachel Reeves MP
Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

MARCH 27, 2015 (11:28 PM)

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1147940 ... n-smith-to" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good-afternoon, friends.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Thank's folks.
Couldn't decide so I got one from each. :P
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

For those that can hack the love-in, IDS is on with Marr tomorrow.

:sick:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Unions' version of the tee-shirt is actually more pleasing to me in terms of English language pedantry. Although I'd have put a comma between "Hell" and "yes" which neither version has . . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:For those that can hack the love-in, IDS is on with Marr tomorrow.

I hope they've changed the time of broadcasting so that it doesn't get aired before the watershed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

danesclose wrote:Just seen this tweet from @labourpress.
Does anyone know any more about it?
Ouch. A few days ago DC was heckled by pensioners, today he's heckled by his own party members at his own general election launch.

I've just been on there. Haven't seen anything yet.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
pk1 wrote:For those that can hack the love-in, IDS is on with Marr tomorrow.

I hope they've changed the time of broadcasting so that it doesn't get aired before the watershed.
Oh I bet that will be some sort of love in. Smoothing poor old Dave's ruffled feathers and showing him all broadcasters aren't horrid.