Monday 30th March 2015: Election Is Go...

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 30th March 2015: Election Is Go...

Post by PorFavor »

utopiandreams wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 4 mins4 minutes ago

Revealed - Thursday's 7 way debate stage order: Left to right; Bennett, Clegg, Farage, Miliband, Wood, Sturgeon, Cameron.
Miliband in the centre, Cameron on the far right. No doubt we'll be getting a complaint from Cameron about that. ;)
I remember seeing a photo of an EU convention or something where Hollande and Merkel were roughly centre stage on the front row whereas Dave was toward the extreme right on the back row. How I laughed. I can't remember whether or not it was all guns blazing or something along the lines of one cocked in the barrel. Amazingly enough I've just Googled and not found it, but have made some reference to such diplomatic words from our acting PM in the G. So that's another to seek out, I guess.

This?
Lock, load and prepare for ambush - David Cameron's very British approach to Brussels summits (Spectator)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Cameron delivered a party political speech from Number Ten - that is so wrong. It could be illegal.

Bonnie Greer has Tweeted that Labour is consulting constitutional lawyers - dunno if it's true.

Since 00.01hrs today, his only official role (and that of his ministers) is to be available for any emergency government business.

He is the PM for that only - otherwise he is a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate, just like hundreds of others.

I also fail to understand the nonsense about him going to see HMQ. Parliament is already dissolved.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:Cameron delivered a party political speech from Number Ten - that is so wrong. It could be illegal.

Bonnie Greer has Tweeted that Labour is consulting constitutional lawyers - dunno if it's true.

Since 00.01hrs today, his only official role (and that of his ministers) is to be available for any emergency government business.

He is the PM for that only - otherwise he is a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate, just like hundreds of others.

I also fail to understand the nonsense about him going to see HMQ. Parliament is already dissolved.

Yes - I was taken aback at the No 10 doorstep Party Political Broadcast,

As for the meeting with the Quing - apparently that was for form's sake ( a courtesy - something for which David Cameron is rightly famous).
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

"It could be illegal.

Bonnie Greer has Tweeted that Labour is consulting constitutional lawyers - dunno if it's true."

On what possible basis does the UK constitutional expert Greer think this.

Grubby politics it was, but governments always try and use the trappings of office like this.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

In *some* respects, parliament continues until 5pm today (that is when online services are switched off for HoC employees, for example)

So I wouldn't be surprised if Dave had a legal get out there, tbh.

(and I think the fixed terms act still specifies the PM going to see HM on the day of dissolution)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:In *some* respects, parliament continues until 5pm today (that is when online services are switched off for HoC employees, for example)
What is illegal about anyone doing a broadcast there? What law is broken?

He can't claim to be an MP (nor can anyone), but where does he do that?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well I don't know myself, tbh - it has always happened, as you say.

I think there is also the official proclamation of dissolution (involving the Great Seal or something) some time today.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Took some of my bad temper out mowing and edging the lawn, but I'm still seething over that article in the Independent about Cameron trying to thwart Labour when Ed beats him.
Don't worry about that too much, not *all* Tories are that daft ;)
It's the sheer seediness - sleaziness - that gets me. I wonder if Rees-Mogg has his finger in this pie, as he's supposed to be an expert on the rules.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:In *some* respects, parliament continues until 5pm today (that is when online services are switched off for HoC employees, for example)

This - from Andrew Sparrow over at the Guardian - probably answers those questions -
Constitutional purists may object, too, to Cameron choosing to make this statement where he did. The podium outside Number 10 is not exactly a sacred spot, but it is a venue normally reserved for the more austere announcements a prime minister has to make, not grubby politicking.

Cameron, though, can’t afford the luxury of statesmanship. His situation is perilous, and he has decided that Miliband-bashing offers him his best hope. So Miliband-bashing it had to be.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Spacedone wrote:

Revealed - Thursday's 7 way debate stage order: Left to right; Bennett, Clegg, Farage, Miliband, Wood, Sturgeon, Cameron.
Miliband in the centre, Cameron on the far right. No doubt we'll be getting a complaint from Cameron about that. ;)
I got great pleasure imagining the person who decides the line up muttering, 'That'll fix the bastard!' :lol:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:
Spacedone wrote:

I got great pleasure imagining the person who decides the line up muttering, 'That'll fix the bastard!' :lol:
Sturgeon next to Cameron, brilliant! :lol!:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

SpinningHugo wrote:"It could be illegal.

Bonnie Greer has Tweeted that Labour is consulting constitutional lawyers - dunno if it's true."

On what possible basis does the UK constitutional expert Greer think this.

Grubby politics it was, but governments always try and use the trappings of office like this.

D'oh, Hugo.

Bonnie is not claiming to be a constitutional expert. She said Labour are consulting some. I said I didn't know if that was true.

Read more, twist less.

Please.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I found this from last time.

Gordon Brown dissolves Parliament, calls Britain general election

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2 ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But note this:
Shortly after meeting Queen Elizabeth, Brown appeared at No. 10 Downing St. speaking in more stentorian tones. He made no direct mention of Cameron but said a Labour victory would keep Britain’s economic recovery on pace and asked the British public for a “clear and straightforward mandate.”

“Britain is on the road to recovery and nothing we do should put that recovery at risk,” he said, suggesting that the substantial cuts in government spending promised by the Conservative Party, or Tories, would hurt job creation.

With doubts about the Conservative economic plan in British minds, Brown, standing with Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling, told voters that a vote for Labour was a vote for experience: "I am not a team of one, I am one of a team," he said.
So there doesn't sound anything wrong in saying "vote for us" on these occasions but using it to slag off your opponent is a bit off.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Took some of my bad temper out mowing and edging the lawn, but I'm still seething over that article in the Independent about Cameron trying to thwart Labour when Ed beats him.
It's probably because I'm from an older generation, but I loathe the way this lot are treating what used to be positions of great responsibility. What happened to Public service. Honour. Accountability? Putting your country first. Even, God forbid, decency. They might sound old fashioned but we'd all be better off if they were still in use.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I found this from last time.

Gordon Brown dissolves Parliament, calls Britain general election

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2 ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But note this:
Shortly after meeting Queen Elizabeth, Brown appeared at No. 10 Downing St. speaking in more stentorian tones. He made no direct mention of Cameron but said a Labour victory would keep Britain’s economic recovery on pace and asked the British public for a “clear and straightforward mandate.”

“Britain is on the road to recovery and nothing we do should put that recovery at risk,” he said, suggesting that the substantial cuts in government spending promised by the Conservative Party, or Tories, would hurt job creation.

With doubts about the Conservative economic plan in British minds, Brown, standing with Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling, told voters that a vote for Labour was a vote for experience: "I am not a team of one, I am one of a team," he said.
So there doesn't sound anything wrong in saying "vote for us" on these occasions but using it to slag off your opponent is a bit off.

I was looking for that but couldn't find it. So out of interest - what question did you ask the Mighty Google, please?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

SpinningHugo wrote:

I think the legal stuff comes more from an article in the Independent. [Link on page 1] It's about what happens if there's no clear majority. Cameron is suspected of planning crafty moves. Labour are seeking legal help to make sure he doesn't.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Left Unity, a broad left party formed in 2013, said it had chosen a Soho squat as its venue to highlight the number of large buildings sitting empty in London. Film director Ken Loach, who co-founded the party, will attend the launch tomorrow. Left Unity is planning to stand candidates in around 10 constituencies, mainly where Labour has a big majority.
So Labour not only have to fight the Cons, the LDs, Green, SNP they also have to fight the NHAP, TUSC & Left Unity.

All those so-called left-leaning parties....

If they got their act together & joined forces, they could ensure a Con govt for evermore.

:wall:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
I was looking for that but couldn't find it. So out of interest - what question did you ask the Mighty Google, please?
gordon brown dissolve parliament
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Price of stamps going up:

1st class letter > 63p
2nd class letter > 54p
1st class large letter > 95p
2nd class large letter > 74p
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
gordon brown dissolve parliament
Thank you. Easy when you know how! I think I was too verbose. Most uncharacteristic . . . .
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:
Left Unity, a broad left party formed in 2013, said it had chosen a Soho squat as its venue to highlight the number of large buildings sitting empty in London. Film director Ken Loach, who co-founded the party, will attend the launch tomorrow. Left Unity is planning to stand candidates in around 10 constituencies, mainly where Labour has a big majority.
So Labour not only have to fight the Cons, the LDs, Green, SNP they also have to fight the NHAP, TUSC & Left Unity.

If they got their act together & joined forces, they could ensure a Con govt for evermore.

Un-flippin-believable isn't it ?

I do wonder whether some of these 'principled' folk actually want a Tory government so they can play the eternal victim or think it will force a change of class consciousness.
Hard to see Ken Loach suffering financially if the Tories get back in.
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 30 Mar, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear...
Paul Johnson, the director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, told the World at One a few minutes ago that the Tory claim that Labour would raise taxes on every working family by £3,000 was “not very helpful” because it was based on such spurious assumptions. Grant Shapps, the Conservative chairman, subsequently appeared on the programme and effectively tried to deny that Johnson had said this. I’ll post the quotes soon.
:D
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well I don't know myself, tbh - it has always happened, as you say.

I think there is also the official proclamation of dissolution (involving the Great Seal or something) some time today.
We do it properly in Scotland:
The Right Honourable Lord Lyon King of Arms is to summon a new UK Parliament from Edinburgh, in a ceremony which dates back to before the Union of 1707.
The Royal Proclamation will be given by Lord Lyon King of Arms at the Mercat Cross at 3pm on Monday, marking the dissolution of parliament.

...The Sheriff Clerk will also be representing the Sheriff Principal of Lothian and Borders, alongside Her Majesty’s Officers of Arms and the State Trumpeters of Scotland, The Guard of Honour from The Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion, the Royal Regiment of Scotland, and the Pipes and Drums of The Royal Regiment of Scotland.
http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/news/articl ... parliament
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh dear...
Paul Johnson, the director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, told the World at One a few minutes ago that the Tory claim that Labour would raise taxes on every working family by £3,000 was “not very helpful” because it was based on such spurious assumptions. Grant Shapps, the Conservative chairman, subsequently appeared on the programme and effectively tried to deny that Johnson had said this. I’ll post the quotes soon.
:D
The disgraced Shapps. Seven days keeping his head down, and now he's back as if nothing had happened...I despair.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Ed Miliband has taken the left along for a ride
http://www.libdemvoice.org/opinion-ed-m ... ent-344839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mote and beam pal, mote and beam !
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Am trying to remember a poll result recently, a question something about whether politicians should stand up to business? Am sure more people thought yes, which means the headlines about Ed, Labour and business may not be as damaging as the media, the Libs & Tories may wish.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

BBC Wales reporting a big Labour turnout to start the Welsh campaign at Ammanford, a seat lost to Plaid last time. Owen Smith & First Minister Carwyn Jones there, and I spotted our Ceredigion Labour candidate there.

Carwyn says Welsh Labour offer 'hope' whereas Tories offer ' endless austerity with no light at the end of the tunnel', and that Labour would have to cut by 2% in the first few years, it'd be tough, but not Tory 20% cuts.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Fantastic Rowson cartoon today. Clegg or rather the only bit left of him is being buried, but, and it's a big but, he appears to have left out UKIP.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... tin-rowson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Clegg said: “About the very last thing the country needs is a lurch to the left or the right. And yet that is exactly what the Conservative and Labour parties are now threatening ... That is a dismal choice.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... d-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oh jesus christ Nick
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:Am trying to remember a poll result recently, a question something about whether politicians should stand up to business? Am sure more people thought yes, which means the headlines about Ed, Labour and business may not be as damaging as the media, the Libs & Tories may wish.
I remember it but can't find it. However, it got a mention in the Telegraph briefing today:
However, a survey by Populus last year for the FT found that 44% of voters said they would be more likely to support a party that was tougher on big business, with those demanding action including 50% of Tory supporters, 63% of Liberal Democrats, 67% of Ukip backers and 72% of Labour supporters.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AS has pointed to a blog post by the IFS, n which they rubbish the Con claims about a £3000 tax rise if Labour win the GE:

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/7678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In conclusion

It is also not entirely clear – at least to us – when Labour would want to achieve current budget balance. Their oft-stated goal is to eliminate the current budget deficit by, at the latest, the end of the parliament. If that’s all they want to achieve they may need no tax increases or real terms spending cuts – beyond those planned for 2015–16 – at all. But that is later than implied by their having signed up to the Charter for Budget Responsibility. If they take that commitment seriously then they at least need to aim to get to current budget balance by 2018–19. If that’s what they want then they will require about £6 billion of spending cuts or tax increases.

There is real uncertainty about what path the Labour party want to follow for the public finances. The Conservatives have been clearer about what they want to achieve, but they have not been clear about how they would achieve it. They would require substantially bigger spending cuts or tax increases than Labour.

There is little value in bandying around numbers which suggest either party would increases taxes by an average of £3,000 for each working household. We don’t know what they will do after the election. But neither of the two main parties has said anything to suggest that is what they are planning.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

yahyah wrote:BBC Wales reporting a big Labour turnout to start the Welsh campaign at Ammanford, a seat lost to Plaid last time. Owen Smith & First Minister Carwyn Jones there, and I spotted our Ceredigion Labour candidate there.

Carwyn says Welsh Labour offer 'hope' whereas Tories offer ' endless austerity with no light at the end of the tunnel', and that Labour would have to cut by 2% in the first few years, it'd be tough, but not Tory 20% cuts.

Good, isn't it?

He's out with our PPC in Ystradgynlais tomorrow.

Hope they get a good turn-out there too.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ohsocynical wrote:Fantastic Rowson cartoon today. Clegg or rather the only bit left of him is being buried, but, and it's a big but, he appears to have left out UKIP.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... tin-rowson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note Shapps in the Salmond mask. Martin is, as far as I can tell, the only person on the Guardian to 'comment' on the attack on Ed last week proving once again his integrity.

A bit of afternoon viewing for you, in the form of Labour's latest PPB (to be broadcast tomorrow I believe); simple, straightforward and just downright classy.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Cameron is an arrogant sod, isn't he? "The next Prime Minister walking through that door will be me (Me, Me) or Ed Miliband."

Not a Conservative or a Labour PM, then? (I appreciate that he wants to name Ed Miliband and present him as some sort of hate figure but it still grates.)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
A bit of afternoon viewing for you, in the form of Labour's latest PPB (to be broadcast tomorrow I believe); simple, straightforward and just downright classy.

Nice. I've embedded it so it's easy for everybody to watch:

[youtube]tj_3g6-zSXY[/youtube]
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

pk1 wrote:Nice. I've embedded it so it's easy for everybody to watch
Ta. I have a fuzzy brain today and embedding was beyond me.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Decent. The only gripe I had was saying zhc would be banned.
Cue the outrage that it's a Scottish voice at the end(Tennant).
Last edited by StephenDolan on Mon 30 Mar, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

FFS.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... nding-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Has someone cheekily given Cameron horns there? :rock:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

StephenDolan wrote:
pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Decent. The only gripe I had was saying zhc would be banned.
Cue the outrage that it's a Scottish voice at the end(Tennant).
A Scottish voice calling for people to vote Labour. Half the outrage will be from 45ers.

I always knew there was a reason I liked Martin Freeman and David Tennant.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just seen a Tweet about the Tories refusing funding to help our foodbanks feed the poor. But that's old news from last year.

Not long ago, I read the offer was on the table again...Did Dave take it up this time?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 1m1 minute ago

Factoid: Cameron was 1st PM in 10 elections to attack his opponent on steps of Downing Street after calling the election
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

pk1 wrote:

The NHAP aren't standing in marginals either, afaik. Clive Peedell, who I've met, is standing against Cameron in Witney. I'm pretty sure Clive isn't expecting to be giving up his day job.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

That's very good, and quite subtle in its own way. Very nice to see the 'choice of values' line - that'll resonate, I think. Is Martin Freeman a lefty then? News to me.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

ohsocynical wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
It's probably because I'm from an older generation, but I loathe the way this lot are treating what used to be positions of great responsibility. What happened to Public service. Honour. Accountability? Putting your country first. Even, God forbid, decency. They might sound old fashioned but we'd all be better off if they were still in use.
That article kept me awake half the night !
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Ashcroft National Poll, 27-29 March: CON 36%, LAB 34%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 10%, GRN 7%
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

That's very good, and quite subtle in its own way. Very nice to see the 'choice of values' line - that'll resonate, I think. Is Martin Freeman a lefty then? News to me.
Not meaning to offend, but it would have been enough for me without the Scottish voice at the end.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

BBC News24 -

"David Cameron held his final audience with the Queen"?? I bet he'll have that on a permanent loop . . .
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Stupid cow presenter on BBC saying it's all about the economy. It bloody well isn't it's all about the NHS.

Oh God I have to stop swearing!!!!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Spacedone wrote:
A Scottish voice calling for people to vote Labour. Half the outrage will be from 45ers.

I always knew there was a reason I liked Martin Freeman and David Tennant.
Good acting requires empathy and people on the left have been shown to be more empathic than those on the right, so it seems only natural that the best actors would be socialists and Arnold Schwarzenegger, for example, would be a republican.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb